Idlaide - The Rays of Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cynthia huh? A pleasure, or at least I think that's what I'm supposed to say, that or some other social convention I guess. Anyway, back to the point, good to meet you, we're all in the same boat here and there isn't exactly many of us, so I figure we should try and get to know each other at least."

He paused for a moment then, eyeing her smile, he knew she was putting it on, he'd seen plenty of fake smiles over the years, most often on his mother's face, whenever she had talked about his father, she'd put n a brave face and smiled, even though she'd been crying inside, it was sad, and something Jorik didn't think people should have to do. His voice was soft and low as he spoke again.

"You can drop the smile you know. I'm not here to hire you for a job or anything, you don't have to put it on for me, if you are going to smile, I'd prefer if it was genuine. Just saying."

At that he extended his hand to shake hers as a kind of formal greeting, no, agreement. He hoped to earn her trust, of everyone, she seemed to be among the more level-headed, and Jorik figured he was going to need someone there with that calm and controlled attitude to back him up, or indeed, for him to back them up, more than once in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
This comment made her flinch. Fake? She did not appreciate her wonderful acting her called fake. Intuition was another thing she hated, along with children. People born with intuition on things were annoying. Cynthia also hated annoying people. So she left the smile on her face, tilting her head slightly in confusion.

"Excuse me Sir but, I have no possible idea what on earth you are talking about. I could not be more genuine."

She knew she had to keep things up, it was too early in the game to let her guard down. She needed to know more about him first. She needed to know if he was fake or not. At this point, she could not tell. She didn't have this intuition that people claimed they had. She was mad she didn't have it, but it was not something that could be bought, sadly.

This comment made her flinch. Fake? She did not appreciate her wonderful acting her called fake. Intuition was another thing she hated, along with children. People born with intuition on things were annoying. Cynthia also hated annoying people. So she left the smile on her face, tilting her head slightly in confusion.
"Excuse me Sir but, I have no possible idea what on earth you are talking about. I could not be more genuine."
She knew she had to keep things up, it was too early in the game to let her guard down. She needed to know more about him first. She needed to know if he was fake or not. At this point, she could not tell. She didn't have this intuition that people claimed they had. She was mad she didn't have it, but it was not something that could be bought, sadly.
"As you will then."

But you are fake. You're hiding something. I saw it on my own mother's face for twenty years, you won't be fooling me anytime soon. Kudos for trying though. Not that Jorik blamed her for trying, clearly she had past emotional concerns in the matter, and it wasn't his place to delve into those, she would confide him in of her own volition and if and when she ever grew to trust him. Leaning back, he decided to apologise for his...outward manner.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to offend you. I've just seen a similar...situation before."

It didn't take long for Marissa to wash up, it was only a plate and some cutlery after all, but she made sure to clean each item as thoroughly as she knew how. She would not give these chefs the satisfaction of finding fault in her ability to clean a plate, nor would she let them say that she didn't clean up after herself. Her one regret so far was that she hadn't told them to leave her pan and cutting board alone, so that she could wash them too, but it was too late to worry about that now.

She even took a towel from one of the radiators and began to dry the plate whilst polishing the cutlery. She had noted that it was good quality cutlery, and it probably wanted to be polished properly, with a silver polish, but that wasn't her problem. She returned the plate to the under-shelf from whence it came and placed her cutlery back in the appropriate holders, ensuring that her brief stints in the kitchen had not left the place any worse off than it was before she set foot in it.

Satisfied that she was done here, Marissa opened the door and stepped out into the cafeteria again. Her first thought was to scan the room and see who was still here. Max had gone, along with the other French person, and the dysfunctional boy that had barged into the kitchen first wasn't present either. She saw Yukiko, sat between two boys she didn't know by name, and another brunette girl with a Rivan accent and smart clothing that made it clear she came from money. That meant that, including herself, seven of the pilots were accounted for, loosely speaking. There was another boy sat a little further along the table from them, and that left one more person. It was another male that she didn't know by name. Marissa sighed, she was only sure of Yukiko's name right now, but if Teqi could scan the other Rays to give the names of their pilots, then maybe Marissa could work from that. With only two other women in the group, it would be easy enough to work out which one was which, and then she could try to suss out the boys. She would need to learn their names, it might help her from a social standpoint, but in terms of working as a team and completing missions, it would be a lot more efficient if Marissa just knew their names, instead of having to ask Tequila Sunrise each time. In the heat of battle, those few wasted seconds might be the difference between success and failure... life and death.

Through the kitchen doors, Marissa had heard Max's announcement about the length of a night on Ellesandis, although she hadn't heard what he had followed it with. She presumed that he had been speaking loudly to make sure that he was heard, so if he had dropped his voice after the announcement, then it was probably just to excuse himself or to address an individual, as opposed to being anything essential.

The news that Ellesandis had a long night period reminded Marissa that for all she thought she knew, there was so much more out there to be discovered. She had been born on Paipas, and had traveled to Aguaceles and Rivas during her military life, along with a good number of nondescript moons and satellites, but she had never encountered anywhere with a night so long as to outlast the human sleep cycle. It had been dark now for the best part of an hour, and if it would still be dark in ten hours time, then it meant this moon probably had something like a thirty, or forty hour cycle. It would take some getting used to, and, frankly, Marissa did not want to have to get used to it, so hopefully they could wrap up their training quickly and then move back to somewhere with something approaching a standard cycle.

The Rays were not a part of the military, but Marissa suspected that they borrowed a lot from the military's organisational structure. After all, Max was a captain, which meant he had sufficient experience and skills to have attained that rank, whilst the officers sat apart from the new recruits during dinner, and all activities were scheduled into specific time slots. Assuming it was like her military days, this meant that eight hours had been allocated for sleeping, which gave Marissa at least two hours to do as she pleased before going to bed. She had promised to re-visit Tequila Sunrise before she retired to bed, but there was no need to rush off and do that right now. She was sure that her Ray would cope just fine as she poured herself a tall glass of water and looked at the people still left in the room.

She probably hadn't made a good impression on her fellow pilots, and maybe it was time to approach some of them. From what little she knew so far, it seemed likely that the rich girl would irritate her, and that Yukiko would either irritate Marissa, or be so intimidated that she would struggle for conversation. She knew less about the guys, as only one of them had really stood out so far, and he seemed to like his own company. Marissa understood that notion entirely, so she felt it best to leave him to it for now. In fact, anyone that had gone off on their own, like Max or the Paipan girl, was probably best left alone because it was what they had chosen to do. Hopefully the others would understand that and do the same with Marissa when she wanted to be alone.

Instead, she saw one boy sat slightly away from the others. It didn't look like he'd chosen to sit away from the group, more that perhaps the people sat around him had left after eating, so he had been accidentally isolated. Feeling a nervous twinge in the back of her mind, Marissa approached the table and set her glass down opposite the boy, before pulling out her seat. She looked up to see him still eating his lobster and shrugged her shoulders, "Hey." Marissa took a sip of water to stop her throat drying up entirely, "I'm Marissa. I guess you like the lobster, then?"

(@Orbital)

Reactions: Reaper Jack
Like he requested earlier, Cynthia's carefully made smile left her face and her eyes narrowed at him. He didn't seem like he would trouble, but at the same time he did. She couldn't really read him either. He seemed a bit like the heroic type that wanted to save people that didn't need saving. That was just her slight, early assumption though. A sigh left her lips as she began to talk.

"You are forgiven. It is understandable to compare others to previous memories, it's a common habit that most members of humanity share, but I would prefer if you did not compare me to a trope of your past. I can assure you, I am different from anyone you have ever met before. Simply trust me on that matter." She said, looking at him directly in the eyes to assure she was being taken seriously.

"And if you must, I'd rather you think I am fake rather than saying it out loud. It is incredibly rude where I am from, to do so. Again though, I will forgive." She follows, laughing softly at the end of her words.

• Love
Reactions: Quiet One
Like he requested earlier, Cynthia's carefully made smile left her face and her eyes narrowed at him. He didn't seem like he would trouble, but at the same time he did. She couldn't really read him either. He seemed a bit like the heroic type that wanted to save people that didn't need saving. That was just her slight, early assumption though. A sigh left her lips as she began to talk.
"You are forgiven. It is understandable to compare others to previous memories, it's a common habit that most members of humanity share, but I would prefer if you did not compare me to a trope of your past. I can assure you, I am different from anyone you have ever met before. Simply trust me on that matter." She said, looking at him directly in the eyes to assure she was being taken seriously.
"And if you must, I'd rather you think I am fake rather than saying it out loud. It is incredibly rude where I am from, to do so. Again though, I will forgive." She follows, laughing softly at the end of her words.
Jorik studied Cynthia quietly, his face stern and serious. She wasn't exactly unusual...although he hadn't yet encountered someone with such a potentially volatile past who was so...fierce. She rebuked him effortlessly, naturally even. He liked that, she knew her place, and would not tolerate any infringement on that place, a woman who was lonely yet displayed phenomenal fighting spirit. She was sure to do well here.

"I've never been one for containing my thoughts to myself. An open and honest opinion is what I'll provide, though I understand it may be hurtful at times. It does however, let you know exactly what I think and what to think of it in return. As for being different, you appear to be so. We'll see what to make of that sometime else though, I can't make an honest judgement after having only spoken to you for a few minutes now can I?"

His lips curved in a very slight smile, barely noticeable smile. They were beginning to reach an accord.

• Love
She let her eyes close half way, narrowing them once more but keeping their gaze locked. This man in front of her claimed to be honest, but in Cynthia's world those were unheard off. She simply though of him as blunt, someone who wanted to fight. She encountered many of those back in her business days. However, his words, although a bit, again blunt, seemed like they had a pure purpose for their being said. She could not decide what that purpose would be, but it seemed kind and for good reason. So, when the edges of his lips curved, so did hers.

"I agree with both statements of what you've said. Honest men are hard to come by, at least in the world I am from. Not just men, but honest women are very rare as well. You don't seem like you are from Rivas, although forgive me if you are. Only one from a home like mine would truly understand what I am saying. The people are crude and blood thirsty. It's the kind of atmosphere that will eat up and spit out the weak. I do, love it however. It gives you a rush like no other." She said, a fire in her eyes being seen as she spoke of her home.

"And the latter of what you said, I agree as well. So you should be able to understand that I cannot judge you as well, or trust you until we speak more. Until then, and everyone else, as any other person I have known. Yes, hypocritical as I have just scolded you for comparing me to your memories, but like I said later, it is human nature to do so."

She let her eyes close half way, narrowing them once more but keeping their gaze locked. This man in front of her claimed to be honest, but in Cynthia's world those were unheard off. She simply though of him as blunt, someone who wanted to fight. She encountered many of those back in her business days. However, his words, although a bit, again blunt, seemed like they had a pure purpose for their being said. She could not decide what that purpose would be, but it seemed kind and for good reason. So, when the edges of his lips curved, so did hers.
"I agree with both statements of what you've said. Honest men are hard to come by, at least in the world I am from. Not just men, but honest women are very rare as well. You don't seem like you are from Rivas, although forgive me if you are. Only one from a home like mine would truly understand what I am saying. The people are crude and blood thirsty. It's the kind of atmosphere that will eat up and spit out the weak. I do, love it however. It gives you a rush like no other." She said, a fire in her eyes being seen as she spoke of her home.
"And the latter of what you said, I agree as well. So you should be able to understand that I cannot judge you as well, or trust you until we speak more. Until then, and everyone else, as any other person I have known. Yes, hypocritical as I have just scolded you for comparing me to your memories, but like I said later, it is human nature to do so."
Jorik's eyes darkened and he grew slightly downcast as Cynthia spoke of home and bloodthirsty people, the words triggering the memories of his dead parents and crew in his mind, forcing him to relive those moments as he saw his ship, his family's ship, go under the churning waters with all aboard...except him. He'd managed to swim away without being spotted and gunned down by the pirates responsible, the lone survivor of his lineage and life dream. He'd been almost broken then, only recovering when he heard about the Ray programme. His voice was lower, more sombre as he spoke to Cynthia this time, audibly so.

"No, I was born on Aguaceles. But we had plenty of bloodthirsty people there too, hiding beneath the surface. I...I lost everything to them."

He sighed then, shaking his head.

"Sorry, didn't mean to make this conversation depressing."

• Love
She watched calmly as his expression changed. The look in his eyes seemed fragile, like he could easily be crushed right now. If she was willing to take the action, he was like a bug under her foot, but it was not the time for such actions. Again, it was to early for such things. They haven't even been here for a full day yet.

Instead, she just kept her composure. She kept her posture straight and her eyes locked with his, even if his gaze was not focused on her.

"There is no need to apologize at your last comment. I was the one who brought up blood thirsty people. I apologize for your loss." She says. Cynthia was truly a slave to the code of manners. Even if she did not truly mean what she said, if what she was taught tells her she must say something, she did so.

"I have visited your home before, for vacation and business purposes. It's very nice, but I did see a few instances of how intense the problem of piracy is in your land. It's very unfortunate." She says, keeping nearly the same tone of voice throughout the sentences. It was not monotone, but only slightly above it. The tone was emotionless, but was disguised as business casual.

• Love
She watched calmly as his expression changed. The look in his eyes seemed fragile, like he could easily be crushed right now. If she was willing to take the action, he was like a bug under her foot, but it was not the time for such actions. Again, it was to early for such things. They haven't even been here for a full day yet.
Instead, she just kept her composure. She kept her posture straight and her eyes locked with his, even if his gaze was not focused on her.
"There is no need to apologize at your last comment. I was the one who brought up blood thirsty people. I apologize for your loss." She says. Cynthia was truly a slave to the code of manners. Even if she did not truly mean what she said, if what she was taught tells her she must say something, she did so.
"I have visited your home before, for vacation and business purposes. It's very nice, but I did see a few instances of how intense the problem of piracy is in your land. It's very unfortunate." She says, keeping nearly the same tone of voice throughout the sentences. It was not monotone, but only slightly above it. The tone was emotionless, but was disguised as business casual.
Pirates...It was less a public problem, more one where rival families had paid them to attack each other, Jorik's family had not engaged in the practice, but had been the target of it numerous times, by jealous rivals and those seeking to take out their business; Jorik himself had simply been the last in a long line of attempts, the last, but most brutal and presumably, best paid. He managed regained his original composure before replying to her.

"You're being a slave to etiquette again you know." He said, noting the monotony, no, lack of emotion in her voice. "Now I think that's rude. It's like you're only feigning interest in talking to me." He chuckled then, wondering how she'd respond to that, turning her own previous comments on her. But, that was a low blow...and she was a lady, Jorik wasn't in the business of being an ass to women. "Ah don't let it bother you, if that's how you like to operate then that's up to you, not me."

• Love
She simply close her eyes and shook her head slightly, letting a quiet sigh escape her glossy pink lips.

"I am not the emotionally invested type, I suppose. I'm sure there are plenty of other women here who are like that, if that is a trait you look for in a conversational partner. If so, then you have chosen the wrong one to engage a conversation with. You would understand why, again if you were raised where I am from, but I'm not interested in talking about my home or my past." She begins to explain.

"Part of the reason I came here was to get away from such things. Since you are looking for honesty in me, I will tell you that much. I suppose breaking away from the chains of the polite mannerisms I've had drilled into my head is part of the escaping process, but out of the many things in my childhood that I find tragic, being a slave to etiquette is not a tragedy to me. I think part of being a lady is knowing how to politely reason with people. It has been a useful skill that I have used many times in the past. So, if I am to keep anything, I will keep that. I'm sure you can understand and respect that, perhaps?" She ask, tilting her head the other way this time. It might take him a bit before he picks up on this, but when she is curious or asking a question, she seems to tilt her head slightly to a degree.

• Love
"Oh hello." Trent stopped eating and looked at the girl. "Yes I'm enjoying it. Feels like home." He said calmly. "I'm Trent." He pushed the lobster to the side. He was finished anyway. "Interesting day, yeah?"

Marissa nodded, finding none of the open hostility that she thought she might encounter. She relaxed a little, letting her left arm support her head as her bended elbow rested on the back of the chair, before twisting her body slightly so that she was sat half-facing Trent, but also in a position where she could keep on eye on the other group, further along the table. She was happy enough to make small talk with Trent, but she didn't want to seem closed off to the others, should they wish to talk as a group, instead of breaking off into pairs for chatter.

"It was always going to be an interesting day," she said, looking towards Trent and raising her eyebrows. "It's not every day that you get given a Ray, after all. I'm sure tomorrow will be even more interesting, I hope that the captain lets us actually get out there and do a bit of flying. The short journey here didn't really give me much chance to try anything out." She then realised that perhaps the others weren't as sure of themselves as she was, and Trent may have been one of the ones flying slowly and taking relief in surviving the short journey, rather than wishing he had an asteroid field to dodge. "So, which Ray is yours then? Mine's Tequila Sunrise, it's, uh, well, it's the one that looks a bit like a Tequila Sunrise; yellow on top, orange in the middle and a deep red on the bottom. It kind of sticks out against the darker coloured Rays, but I think I like that." She gave a quiet chuckle, "I'm not exactly a shrinking violet as you might have guessed. I suppose it's like the old man said, our Rays are going to pick up traits from us. Some people might accuse me of being a bit loud and a bit brash... it makes sense for Teqi to be like that too."

Trent lean against the back of his chair. "And no doubt every day after it. I really wanna get into some dogfighting scenerios. It would be interesting to see how every one takes a challenge." He had had a semi-challenging time on his first flight. His Ray had decided to rotate 180 degrees and fly upside down. "Mines Axor, The one that with the neon green bow, jet black middle and deep blue stern, not exactly stealthy but pretty cool. He's really..." Trent paused for a moment to find the right words to describe his Ray. "Mischievous. He decided to fly upside down on the way here." He leaned forward and looked at the shiny wristband. Still a large amount of time to get back to Axor but it was making him more and more nervous nonetheless.

"Neon green?" repeated Marissa. "I think I parked beside yours before. Maybe those of us with brighter Rays are inherently drawn together? As far as stealth goes, I don't think the colour really makes all that much difference when we're all using sensors to scan for enemy ships. They pick up on the energy trail, and the motion of the craft, as well as the heat from its engines... I don't think the colour really makes all that much difference. Besides, if you stick to the shadows, they'll never know the colour of your Ray until it's too late."

"Teqi has a mischievous streak, too. I think quite a few of these Rays have a playful streak to them, but didn't the old man say something about these Rays being like children? It makes sense if they are." The redhead shrugged her shoulders, "I'm sure they're just as keen to get out and play as we are."

As she took a sip of water, Marissa noticed Trent looking to his wristband. "You know, if you need to get back to Axor then you can. I don't want to keep you tied up here, especially when I'm sure we can chat again some other time."

Jorik listened intently as Cynthia spoke, taking in every word without fault, ensuring he heard it all correctly, what she said interested him. You are an unusual one, aren't you? I wonder...there's far more to you than meets the eye, isn't there?

"I didn't choose to speak with you because I thought you'd make a reliable conversational partner Cynthia, forgive my being blunt, but as I said before, I think that we will, as pilots, need to lean on one another for support at some point or other. I chose you because I felt you were the best choice out of everyone here."

He thought about her question then, wondering through it's connotations and her peculiar, almost playful, manner of tilting her head out of instinctual curiosity. That's actually kind of cute, who knew? You'd never guess she had that side of her from external appearances, but then, I do think there's far more to you than meets the eye.

"As for your question, I agree and do respect and understand your position, diplomacy is a far better solution to most things. However, while it is...unseemly perhaps for a lady not to exercise that particular quality, I don't think you should restrain yourself to what you as a 'lady', female, woman or whatever is expected of you, forgive my rudeness but I think that's no way to live, you should live for yourself and those you love, never should you live to please the wills of unimportant others or that of social convention. It's alright to be selfish...sometimes."

@Lyra Meiko

Last edited by a moderator:
Cynthia also listened to Jorik's side of the conversation very closely, letting her thoughts analyze what he was saying and come up with a proper and respectful response. However, she could not help but scoff at the end of his line.

"Excuse me but, that sort of message is too childish for me. Don't think for a moment that you are the first to preach to me that I should do thing for myself. Although it may not be evident in my words, I do. I keep up my slavery to rules for my own benefit. You see, Jorik, the world of business is filled with people who think what you are saying." she began to explain, taking one of her fingers and slowly curling a piece of her dark hair with it.

"These people, in my eyes, are sheep. They follow what they are used too, and they follow each other. They think what others are doing must be the right thing. This is what makes them so easy to trick. Now, a wolf can easily wear sheep's clothing. These sheep are so easily to fool, that they don't even know who is one of their kind and who is not. A wolf knows this, and although wearing a sheep's clothes may be uncomfortable at times, it is all worth it once the wolf can feast on the corpses of foolish sheep." She finishes her story, ending it with a sweet smile under cold eyes.

"And did you really come and talk to me because you wanted to befriend someone you found worthy?" She follows, tilting her head slightly again to the other side, but this time in a mocking sense rather than curious. She seemed as if she could hear the reply in her head already.

"Because if I remember correctly, you extended your words towards the child as well as I." She says, lowering her voice slightly and taking a side nod towards the child close to her. Her lips were curled into a slight smirk, her act of manners fading slightly and her true character shining true just a bit. "Do you think she is the "best choice" as well?"

@Reaper Jack

"It's fine. Just makes me feel vulnerable with my life being reliant on a hunk of living metal." Trent knew this would be part of things when he signed up. But it felt much more different than he had thought. "Where are you from?" He asked to get his mind off of the timer.

Jorik's eyes gazed at Cynthia's, slowly etching that gaze into her, it a hard gaze, formal, but not cold. He wasn't trying to alienate her. When he spoke his words were slower now, more thought out, he didn't want this to become an argument.

"Well aren't you a bonny handful? True. I spoke to the child. What of it? Does speaking to someone automatically mean that my reasons for speaking are the same each time? No. I would have pursued that conversation far differently. What you're saying is akin to saying that the same physics apply to K1 and K5 class stars."

Jorik didn't allow his gaze to leave her eyes as he sat back in his chair, hands folded neatly in his lap, he was far more serious than he had been before, almost as if he'd dropped a mask himself.

"I also don't believe I ever mentioned friendship, though I suppose it would be a nice bonus. My primary concern was, as I stated, survivability, I rather like living. And I don't wish to meet the same fate as my forebears and many of the people I knew because I didn't have someone there who could help."

His gaze bore into her then, his last comment ready to come forth.

"You're a tough, versatile woman, I can see that, I respect that. You're also used to getting your own way and having the upper hand in debates and arguments, our little exchange here is obvious proof of that. Now I'm not saying that's wrong, but that's not right either, not being able to empathise like that, always only believing in your own way. It'll land you in hot water someday. I know this, because I've been there. I'd rather not see a team member and potential friend go down that road."

He leant back, awaiting her response, wondering if he'd managed to piss her off or if she'd slap him. It hardly mattered either way, he'd said his piece, and if he couldn't open her eyes, the harsh reality of what was sure to come would. Perhaps then she'd believe him.

Cynthia's smirking expression keeps true throughout his entire response, not letting any ounce of hurt emotion spill through to any of her features as he talks. However, once he is done, a smile submerges onto her face. This one, he can tell is genuine. This is not a mask that she has put on, but a true human expression. She does not slap him, or even furrow her brow at him, like she would if she was raging.

"I'm glad to see that you are not one of them, Jorik. You are by no means a sheep. You may not be a wolf, but you are not a sheep either." She says, slowly gazing her eyes down. Her words a vague, but have meaning.This softened look is unexpected, as all of her other expressions are so hardened. However, it might be hard to tell if this is a real emotion, as most of her others have been fake. Or have the others been real and this one is fake? Well, only Cynthia can answer that question.

"Well, I suppose I will think about your concern. I also will take your warning to mind. You have done a good enough job trying to appeal to me. I respect an honest man, but I do not easily give out my trust either. You will have to win me over in training as well, I suppose. There is only so far words can go, but your's sure have traveled." She says, standing up and pushing her chair in before her.

"I wish you the most of luck tomorrow. If you impress, I can promise you that I will have your back, as if we were in a business contract. You shouldn't ponder too much on what I'm saying, however. I'm sure our leader has much in store for us...oh, and don't hesitate if you wish to talk again. I think I'd enjoy to."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.