Howls and Happenstance

┈ ┈ ❁ཻུ۪۪┈ ┈
"Those greasy little ticks sure now how to disappear… Shit."

Kalen let out a large sigh as he reached up to filter the longer wavy strands through a set of fingers to grip loosely at the back of his skull. Just one piece of paper of many that filed the evidence of Simon's attack that happened almost a week ago, and still they had no leads. The damn vamp seemed to disappear without a trace, like it was just a shadow and it bled back into the night where it belonged. Which was fine, really, but boy did Kalen still want compensation for what that parasite tried to do to Simon! The only silver lining he could see was that it hadn't gone around attacking other humans. But that didn't do much to calm the bubble of his frustration… as bad as that sounded.

Fed up with looking over the paperwork since it was getting them nowhere, he gave a little toss to the paper to join the others that sat haphazardly upon the table. He kicked up his feet then for ankles to cross and rest upon the edge as he leaned back in his chair and scrubbed at his tired features. It didn't help that after this little incident, the crime rate seemed to spike in the city. As though all the criminals decided to correspond to be a pain in their ass. So even if there was a lead on Simon's case, there likely wouldn't have been much time they could devote to it personally!

Good thing Maxim got his day off in because he certainly wouldn't of been able to get one now.

"Leave it to a vamp to be able to cover tracks we can't sniff out," Kalen practically growled through the curtain of his hands scrubbing down his face. They were both tired. But when there was work needing to be done, both of them had to be here. He glanced at the clock and the hands read 10:30PM. Their shift ended almost an hour ago, but they'd come back to HQ to go over the evidence of Simon's case again. Both were convinced that they must have missed something! But still the search proved fruitless.

The door squeaked open, and a couple agents walked in that weren't of the supernatural variety. One could tell by the typical officer uniform they wore, and as per usual they were stiff in the face as they looked upon the two of them. "Shouldn't you be gone for the night, flea bags?" One of the men asked on the way by toward the coffee station. It was stale at this point from sitting their all day, but when one needed to keep their eyes open you'd take what you could get.

"Overtime. None of your business…. shit head…" Kalen hissed the last bit quietly under his breath, having been told enough times to play nice with the human agents. Which he would if they wouldn't start shit all the time! He could play cordial, but they always knew how to rough up his hackles. And of course, if anything happened, the supernaturals would be given the blame.

"What did you say?" The man cut his eyes toward the two of them.

"I said none of your business," Kalen responded smoothly and without retort, fixing his eyes downward with a little crease in his brows. Always better not to look them in the eye, they always got bold for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, as Kalen skirted a self created encounter, there was a buzz on Maxim's phone. A text that came through from an unknown number.

If you're offer still stands, I could really use your help. I'm heading toward 29th and Everdell. If you can come, I'd be very grateful. But if not, then I'll handle it myself. -Colette.

It took days for Simon to go back to something approaching normal, with Aether at his side as much as the young wolf could manage, and anyone else in the house perfectly willing, as always, to keep their adopted human pup company. It had the dual purpose of not letting Simon's attention drift too far inward, and of keeping him from being alone out in public even in the daytime.

It was difficult, of course, having no answers, but Maxim and Kalen's priorities came in different order. Kalen wanted the vampire caught almost to the point of obsession, both for the city at large and for revenge's sake, but when no leads were forthcoming Maxim's focus had shifted more easily to simply controlling the aftermath and preventing further incidents. As much as he also wanted revenge, and would readily have sunk his own teeth into the vampire that tried to steal Simon from them, Maxim knew he had to put it aside to watch out for the good of the his pack, and the rest of the city.

"He'll resurface eventually," He reassured, though with a tired sigh and his eyes already on another case, having grown tired of looking at the same scant few pages of Simon's. "We'll just keep our ears to the ground." There were not that many people in the city equipped to deal with the cases their division did, after all. If there were any news that would lead them to Simon's attacker, it would get to them eventually.

Maxim could tell by the sound of the equipment they carried that uniformed officers had come into the room, and didn't so much as raise his eyes from the papers he was reading to acknowledge their jabs - as much as such unimaginative insults could even be called jabs. To Kalen he raised only a finger to keep the man from leaping onto the bait with any more gusto, and heaved a sigh. The officers were likely worked up already, as they were quick to do, and having Kalen back down to avoid a fight made Maxim instinctively want to stand up in his place.

"Now, now, Officer Sutter," He replied idly without putting the papers down, even as he pulled his phone from his pocket to check on the buzz. "Don't be salty because you're the one whose dog gave him fleas last year."

The man had never told Maxim that, of course, but it really hadn't been that hard to spot for any detective worth their salt. The words were spoken so disinterestedly he could've been mentioning the weather, though they were likely to get some sort of reaction, even if it was only embarrassment. If nothing else, he could draw the officers' attention and handle it much more calmly than Kalen could. As it turned out, though, his phone was infinitely more important.

Colette. He had almost fooled himself into thinking she wouldn't cash in on her favor at all, but so be it. He hadn't liked the idea of holding on to that debt anyway, and despite being tired he could use the distraction.

Do I need backup? He sent back rather than ask for details, keeping his expression carefully neutral as he started to clean up papers despite being instantly suspicious of why her need for his assistance was so sudden. I have a friend with me right now.

Bringing Kalen along to meet with a vampire was not the best idea, but even knowing his failings and prejudices Maxim still trusted the man with his life. If the problem didn't require any extra assistance, he would just send Kalen home so at least one of them could get some rest.

Kalen had to put effort into keeping his face straight. Trying equally hard not to grimace or snicker as the officer blinked and clearly stuttered in his steps toward the coffee station. He could still remember the itch… it was unbearable! But leave it to Maxim to pass off a jab that someone couldn't comprehend up front was an insult or not. Where the bold officer seemed to lose his tongue as his mind mulled over that statement. Till he came up with an oh so clever retort. "What nonsense are you spouting? If you're here for overtime then work." As though he wasn't the one to start heckling them first.

"Yessir," Kalen drawled in a tone not so enthusiastic, but kept his mouth shut after that due to his comrade's insistence. All it took was a single sign from Maxim and Kalen would act the part of loyal dog and sit. It wasn't always that way when their relationship wasn't like it was in the past, but those were darker times that neither of them liked to remember.

And when two people knew each other as the two wolf brothers did, it was rather easy to pick up when something was afoot.

As soon as the officers were out of the vicinity, Kalen looked over to Maxim who seemed quite concentrated on his phone after it pinged. The figurative point of ears that weren't present seemed to perk and Kalen leaned forward a bit onto his elbows toward Maxim and kept his voice low. "A lead?" he asked with a glimmer of hope sounding in his voice. His tail would have likely been wagging away as well in excitement at the prospect.

A moment later - as though in hesitation - there was another ping from Maxim's phone.

What kind of friend?

It wasn't like they couldn't use backup, but the group they were dealing with was very particular about their instructions. No cops. Otherwise they'd kill him. The higher ups in her clan were still trying to sort out the details and figure out whether or not to give in to the demands. But dammit, she just couldn't wait any longer! She didn't trust them. She had half a feeling that Eagan was either already dead or they'd kill him anyway after everything was said and done.

So while it wasn't safe for her in the least, it was in fact the safest option to ensure Eagan's life.

Why him… there was so much she didn't understand.

With a strained sigh, she took a moment to press her palm to her shoulder where it ached something awful. When they'd been attacked at their home, a lycan with amber colored fur had leapt at her with jaws spread wide. It was like a bulldozer and the force knocked her to the ground while it's powerful jaws sunk into the meat of her shoulder. The force of its jaws made it feel like her bones were about to be crunched… it was the whole reason Eagan couldn't fight back and willingly went with them. It wasn't but an hour later that another from their clan came to their residence to check on them and informed them all about the demands that arrived shortly after.

Freeing her hand to come to her phone again, her jaw worked beneath flesh in a clench as her thumbs swiftly typed out another message.

Can't be cops. Too dangerous.

She didn't like that she couldn't provide more information, but they were short on time. She could explain in further detail when he arrived. If he arrived. She wasn't going to hold her breath.

I can't say more now. I don't have much time.

With that, she stuffed her phone into her the back pocket of her jeans and began at a pace as fast as she dared through the dark, following the scent that Eagan's blood left in his wake. Taking careful note of every inhale so she didn't lose the familiar scent that was growing fainter and fainter.

The second Maxim had replied to the message he'd received, the uniformed officers had ceased to carry any relevance whatsoever. He only made a soft, acknowledging hum to Sutter's reply and very carefully started gathering papers back together while his eyes rested firmly on his phone. He was not, however, distracted enough to miss Kalen's interest.

"A new problem," he murmured quietly enough that only thd other wolf would hear, and picked his phone up again the second it dinged. "Hold on."

The trustworthy kind, he replied, calm despite typing very rapidly. My right hand man.

He supposed he could have told her outright that his 'friend' was a packmate, but keeping those cards close to his chest and far from any tangible sort of evidence like stored text messages was a well honed habit by now. She would have to imply it from the description on her own. Even without knowing he was alpha of his own pack, she had to know enough to realize that wolves stuck together very closely, and were not such solitary creatures as humans or vampires could be. Even in the city, they were not often alone.

Maxim cared for his pack, of course, and they were all capable in their own ways, but there was no one he trusted more in a pinch than Kalen. That hadn't always been true, in the times before they had conquered Kalen's temper, and Maxim's instinct to do everything on his own, but as much and as well as they had worked together by now he could say he trusted Kalen with his life with no hesitation.

Meet you there in twenty.

"Let's clean up." He said as he sent it, standing and shuffling papers together himself while conveying urgency with just his tone. "We're done for the night."

He was sure that Kalen trusted him to explain in due time, and so didn't bother to say that it was a secret or that he would tell all once they were out of the room. When the files had been replaced to their proper homes, Maxim led the way out of the office and to the stairs, as it was quicker than a trip down two flights with the elevator, staying silent and moving quickly. He wasn't sure what was happening, and he didn't like not having any details, but whatever Colette needed it was time sensitive.

"I told you, the night Simon was attacked," Maxim said once they were settled in the car and starting to pull out of the parking structure already, "there was a second vampire who saved his life. I didn't tell you what I promised her, that if she ever had trouble with wolves she could call me, and I would step in to return the favor."

As he drove, Maxim took out his badge and held it out to Kalen. "Hide this in the glove compartment. Yours, too, if you're staying. She's calling in her favor, and I'm going. If you have any problems with that, I'll hit the brakes and you can jump out, no questions asked." He let that sink in for only a second or two, then pressed on. "If you think you can handle it, you know I would always rather have you there to watch my back."

Kalen had never kept his dislike of all vampires a secret. Maxim had, more than once over the years, expressed his own feelings that each one was an individual, just like humans, and just like wolves. Some were better or worse than others, and couldn't be immediately judged by their species. Their differing views were why he had kept his promise to Colette a secret, knowing his wolf's feelings on the matter in great detail, and he would hold no judgement in his heart for Kalen should the other man decide to just go home. The request was still there, regardless. If Kalen could find it in himself to assist a vampire, Maxim would gladly take his backup, but he needed Kalen to know the whole truth. Maxim was repaying his debt, and he wasn't doing it as an agent with any authority. Tonight, they were just wolves.

With the trust Kalen held for Maxim, he didn't always need immediate answers. However nice they would be, there was a time and place. And whatever Maxim was doing on his phone swiftly gave off the vibe that he was needing to be discrete. Whether that was to others in general or if it was specifically their buds in uniform, had yet to be seen. Suppose it didn't really matter. Maxim merely labeled it as a problem, and Kalen thought he was rather good at being able to help with dispatching problems.

"Roger." Kalen acknowledged and practically popped to his feet in order to shuffle all their papers together so they could get going. Picking up the hint that while their official work was done for the night, something else was afoot that required their attention.

It wasn't till they were in the car that Maxim opened his mouth again to address what was going on, and it had the lycan intrigued instantly. Well… intrigued one second, then concerned the next. He practically groaned out loud as a hand was slapped to his face. "You really gotta stop handing out favors to random strangers, Maxim. I know you've got like… a moral code to live by, but offering a favor to a blood sucker-?" He gnarled quietly under his breath, mostly because there was a pull of moral dilemma even within himself because of the fact that this vamp had apparently been the primary key to Simon living that night a week ago.

Of course he wasn't there to see it and thus had a hard time believing it. But he also trusted Max. So now he felt like he was stuck between a fucking rock and a hard place.

"As far as you know this could be exactly what that thing wants, you know. Trying to lure you off so it can jump you with a bunch of its goons." He sighed and snatched his partner's badge from him, and without even so much as hesitating, threw his within as well. "I have many problems with it, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna go so I can watch your back. Like hell I'm letting you go alone." He glanced over at his partner, managing a subtle grin, but then he was back to scowling as he leaned an arm against the sill of the window as the night air blew itself inward to rustle his muddy red hair.

"So.. no badges. No authority… just what sort of shit did you just get us into?"

-​

Of course, Maxim didn't know much in that regard, which perhaps earned him another chastising by the other, or at the very least a grumbling, but it wasn't going to be long before they both would be filled in on what was going on.

The headlights were dimmed as they rounded the corner onto the very streets Colette first mentioned in her first text. 29th and Everdell… what a scummy side of town. Seemed like just the place to be jumped for the blood running in their veins. Maxim expertly swung the car into a space behind a crumbling brick wall littered with graffiti, and when the car came to an abrupt halt, the doors were opened and the wolves were stepping out into the chilly night air. Chilly for most, but even without a jacket, Kalen was comfortable. Werewolves tended to run hotter than humans, and as far as he was concerned, vamps were corpses so they weren't affected by low temperatures. Already ice cold.

Kalen gave a slow sniff of the air as his eyes checked out the dim dreary lighting of the warehouse district. Why was is always a warehouse district? "Smells all sorts of fucked up here, that's for sure." A joke because he actually couldn't smell anything at all.. well.. not at first. But then he caught a surprisingly strong metallic odor on the breeze - the hair on the back of his neck stood straight up - which had him abruptly turning, and reacting.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw the form, and didn't hesitate. Her neck was in his grasp before she had the chance to yelp in surprise, slamming the small form up against the already crumbling brick wall to send a few more clanking to the ground. A bassy snarl erupted from his chest as he drew a fist back ready to strike blows with eyes practically glowing a deep green, meeting equally icy hues of stark blue while pink lips parted to hiss and reveal fangs while she feebly wriggled and kicked.

Usually vampires and werewolves could go toe to toe, but that was when each party was at full strength. Colette and her little clan didn't overindulge. Just ate enough to get by, and fed from a reasonable source. In terms of strength, she may be able to walk circles around most humans in a fight, but against most wolves, in her current state she wouldn't stand a chance. Especially while her own blood continued to leak from the gnarly wound in her shoulder.

"L-Let me go you shit sniffer-!!" Colette snarled and tried to knee him straight in the groin but his fisted hand came down to grab her knee instead, leaving her pigeon legged.

Kalen laughed with an endearing facade. "Yeah yeah, go gargle some garlic, fanger."

"To a person," Maxim corrected with a little sigh, but had the good grace to look sheepish at Kalen's accusations, that he needed to stop giving out favors.

As far as he was concerned, Simon's life was worth a whole lot more than a single favor, even if it was likely to be something dangerous. He was not prideful enough to insist that his decisions were absolutely always the best ones, though, and had always welcomed the way his pack would question him, so long as it wasn't done so disrespectfully as to need correction. If he couldn't explain himself properly, it probably wasn't the best decision anyway, and he was determined not to be an alpha like Aether's, one that stomped on free will and insisted violently on his own supremacy. Like any ruling position, an alpha's power could corrupt, and needed to be checked and balanced.

When he had to explain that he had no idea what they were getting into, he didn't do much more than wince at Kalen's berating. He deserved it, he knew. He was just glad to have the other wolf at his side regardless of his own foolishness.

When they stopped the car and got out, Maxim's senses were alert, eyes drifting along buildings and pathways, listening carefully for any shuffling or breathing nearby which might indicate someone lying in wait. With he and Kalen together, they rarely had to be truly worried about a full frontal assault - alone, neither of them were quite easy to overtake, and together much harder still - but it always paid to be wary. He only caught the sound of faintly audible footsteps just before he saw Kalen begin to move out of the corner of his eye, and given their situation he hadn't been truly in a rush to stop the wolf from responding physically to such a quick approach. It was only once Kalen had her pinned that Maxim recognized her.

"Kalen, stop." He snapped, at their side just as Colette's attempt to fight was countered, and reached across to take hold of Kalen's wrist where he was keeping her pinned by the neck, effectively forcing his body between them rather than simply pulling the man away so he wasn't physically able to try striking her again. "She's not trying to ambush us, she's our contact. She's bleeding, and you pinned her one-handed. . . Let her go and make your conclusions."

If Colette were the type to be behind any of the violent attacks they had investigated in recent months, she would have put up much more of a fight. At full strength, even a vampire of her smaller stature would have been able to kick Kalen away, perhaps faster than he could have stopped her, and would have taken considerably more effort to keep still. Once Kalen stopped, took a breath, and considered the facts, Maxim was confident he could make those intuitive leaps on his own.

When Kalen released her, Maxim stayed between them, both keeping her back by standing in front of her and guiding Kalen away with a hand on his shoulder. "Now that that's over with," He said when they were a safe distance apart, turning to face her so he could stop giving her his back, "Would you care to enlighten me as to why you called me out here? You're clearly injured, but here regardless, so there must be something serious going on."

She wouldn't have come to this place just for revenge for a single bite. Maxim had to believe she was fighting for something, or even someone, but it was best to hear the details from her rather than guess them all himself. If he was going to help her, he had to know what was going on.

Last edited:
"Yeah, I know…" It was but a grumble that left them quiet in the car for the rest of the ride. They might as well be complete opposites on the spectrum when it came to the whole vampire versus lycan debacle. Maxim was progressive and open, and Kalen was a closed door. Or maybe just a wall with no door to be had. Impossible to get through when it came to the whole thing. It didn't come without just cause, but he wasn't ignorant enough to know he wasn't helping the issue by being so closed minded. But he couldn't help it. His heart just wasn't in it, not when it already got scorched due to one of the parasites.

So he wouldn't fault his friend for being a good person. They were just a little different in that aspect.

A large sigh would exit him as they arrived at the premise, and of course, it had to be spooky as all hell. Why wouldn't it be if it was infested with fangers. Kalen was on guard even before his foot took that step out onto the pavement. So when he was nearly snuck up on… well, it didn't go well.

He acted on instincts that has saved them time and time again. Whipping out a hand that caught the column of a slender neck that would have easily been crushed beneath his palm if he had wanted it to. The fact she was still breathing was his choice.

"Hm." Kalen huffed out a breath that came out white. "But she called me a shit-sniffer." The look given to him after that had him promptly removing his hand which nearly sent Colette to her butt on the ground in surprise. She caught her balance last second and let loose a glare at the large male that took a step back and put his hands up. "Don't sneak up on me next time." Naturally he put the blame on her.

Colette's chest bobbed with her breathing, her hand coming up to squeeze at the mess of flesh bleeding through her coat. She hadn't had time to stop and address it yet, but thought to do so now. Not that she was worried about herself as far as being hurt. It would heal. But more so about the thickness of the smell in the air that would give them away.

Carefully she started to shirk her coat with a roll of her eyes at the brute, flickering the icy hues toward Maxim instead. A somewhat more familiar face, even if she'd known if for about as long now as she did Kalen's. "Yeah… thanks for showing up." There may not have been great first impressions made, but she was thankful regardless to have backup. Once her coat was discarded on the ground, she pulled out a knife that made Kalen flinch, but she drew her eyes toward him with a sort of relax glance being made, using the blade to cut at her shirt to get a thick enough piece that she could use to wrap her shoulder.

"Our house was attacked by wolves tonight, and I don't know why. But our caretaker surrendered to them and I followed the scent here. I don't know why they want him, but it was obvious they were using us to get him to concede." His family. They may not be his children, but they were like his children. And instead of attacking the clan directly, they went after Eagan. She wasn't sure if this was personal, or if it was a vulnerability that they had thought to attack, but either way she wasn't going to leave Eagan in whatever mess this was! The clan was acting slowly, and the way the shapeshifter appeared cold and merciless, she didn't think it was in Eagan's benefit to be held as their captive for long!

With a wince, she pulled the bandage tight. "My clan is taking their sweet time to come up with an offer to get him back. It's a damn kidnapping, and I couldn't just… sit there and wait." No matter how stupid it was. No matter if it was selfish for how Eagan gave himself up so the rest of them wouldn't get hurt. She couldn't.

Maxim sighed as Kalen let Colette go, shaking his head and just scanning his eyes around the area as she took a seat on the ground to deal with her injury. The scent of blood was sharp and overwhelming so close to her, so he had to imagine it was decently deep and had been bleeding for a while. When she started to explain, though, he was certain enough that she wasn't going to back down because of her injury. As much as wolf packs were closer knit than most groups, it wasn't as if vampires were always solitary creatures. In a big city, surrounded by humans and wolves alike, they stuck together closely enough to be considered family. They were just people, after all, not that everyone wanted to look at them that way.

"Kalen." Maxim pulled his car keys from his pocket and tossed them to the other wolf almost before he had his attention. "Grab me the first aid kit from the trunk? She needs actual gauze and bandage. Just bring the whole thing."

It wasn't as if Kalen enjoyed being in the presence of vampires, so it was a good enough excuse to get him to walk away while Maxim dealt with the first part of their problem. The very short walk to the car would give Kalen a moment to come to terms with the fact that they were here to perform a hostage recovery, rescuing a vampire from wolves. Given Kalen's opinion on their species, he was sure the idea wouldn't sit well.

When he turned to walk away, Maxim knelt down to be closer to Colette's level without invading her personal space by reaching for her, calm and steady as he had to be for every one of their jobs together despite the danger they could be facing. "I need you to think carefully," he said, firmly though not unkindly. "Tell me more about the pack. How many were there when it happened? How many shifted and how many on two legs? What sort of builds and skill levels am I looking at? Did they seem trained, or did they just use brute force and surprise to overwhelm you? Are you the only one they hurt?"

If the wolves that hurt her had stormed in attacking everyone, then it was likely he and Kalen wouldn't manage alone. If they had been methodical about who they hurt and how much, doing only what was necessary to secure their prize, there was a better chance of avoiding an all out brawl. Regardless, he needed to know exactly what they were dealing with before they crashed into whatever pack house or secondary safe house they were about to go and look for.

"Do you carry anything on you that your friend might recognize?" He asked when she'd done her best to describe the pack to him though he knew she wouldn't see much difference in whatever canine bodies were present as another wolf might. "A necklace, a bracelet, or a metal keychain? Something that won't carry your scent? Don't touch it, just tell me. You'll only cover it in blood if you reach for it now."

It would be important to secretly communicate to the man they were rescuing that they were allies, so he could play along with whatever story they made up, or at least so he wouldn't fight them if he were still conscious. They had to have gone after the head of the house for a specific reason or Colette would have been a good enough substitute. Maxim just needed to figure it out and find a way to convince the alpha that he needed the vampire more. Ideally, he would think of a way to do so without dragging the rest of his pack into the trouble with him.

Last edited:
While Kalen didn't like the situation, mainly because of his own protective nature over the people he considered family, he wasn't a heartless bastard. Even if he had reservations… even if he didn't like the bloodsucker in front of him… he could empathize enough to see whoever this vamp was that had been taken meant a lot to her. He would have been doing the same in her shoes, if it was Max. Aether or Simon. Willow. God forbid if it was Willow, he would go on a bloody warpath to find the one responsible!

So, at the very least… the tick had a small amount of his respect.

The wolf grunted his acknowledgement as keys were snatched, but wouldn't be saying another word as he meandered away back toward the car. He wasn't stupid, he got the message. There wasn't much Kalen couldn't articulate from the mere sheen in Maxim's eyes. He wanted time to get the story, and it was obvious after his own valiant first impression, that the girl wasn't likely to open up with him around. Sure, he'd be the errand boy.

"It'll.. heal." But the girl wasn't the best liar, and the strain of her brow foretold of how much it hurt. Perhaps enlightening Maxim on her stature as a vampire. A little naive. And obvious not as much of a tolerance to injury as one would suspect. Which meant she may not have been as well versed in fighting as initially assumed.

Her eyes lingered downward on the ground, far off, troubled if not somewhat traumatized. They were just trying to live normal lives… why did this have to happen—?

She was jarred from her inner thoughts as Maxim touched her shoulder, bringing her back to this physical realm. The ghostly hues of blue motioned upward to focus upon the man as he made a request of her. She swallowed deftly. It all happened so fast she… wasn't sure if she could recall…

But the more she thought of it, the clearer it became, and so she was speaking. "Five. Four shifted. One not." She reached up to knead the heel of a singular hand into a closed eyelid. "The wolves were big. One in particular. That's the one that went for me. He could have ripped me to shreds if he'd wanted to." A big black wolf with a scar over eye. "Very coordinated. They came through the windows to surround us and Eagan couldn't move fast enough to protect us all. I just happen to be the closest target." She winced inwardly at that. If she could have managed to stay out of reach, things may have gone differently. But once she was in the jaws of that big wolf, if she'd tried to struggle free, she would have lost her arm. She nodded at the latter, she was the only one they hurt. Which meant she had horrific ideas of what they were doing to Eagan now!

"The one that wasn't shifted was doing the negotiating. He wore a trench coat and… had long hair. A beard, and piercings. And his eyes were stark gold." She was surprised at the amount of knowledge she retained, but was glad she did. Anything to help!

Her eyes automatically glanced downward at a silvery chain around her neck, a locket given to her by Eagan some time ago. Her hands reached for it, but paused midair as he told her not to touch it. So she pointed at her chest instead where the small oval locket hung upon it's petite chain. "This." She was complying surprisingly well, but she knew Maxim was here to help after all! It was just his friend she was questioning.

Her vision drifted to the side when the larger of the two males came back with the black box in his hands, his approach sounded by the jingle of car keys in his pocket. He didn't say anything, but instead walked forward enough to house the box on the ground by Maxim's feet before backing up a couple steps. He didn't need to butt in, but he probably should listen as well in order to gauge the situation.

"Do you… have a plan?" Colette asked softly. Hoping so really. Because she was certainly flying by the seat of her pants here.

Colette's insistence that her wound would heal was doubtful, at best. Maxim only raised an eyebrow slightly at her, taking in the amount of blood, her posture, the way she'd held it and how she'd dealt with it. Ready enough to try and keep pushing on, but with little true confidence that she would be in fighting form any time soon. Beyond the way she had stood up to her own kind by saving Simon's life, the fact that her wound hadn't started to heal already had him heavily suspecting she was the type of vampire that didn't give in to her nature, at least not fully. Even without any personal feelings attached to the thought, it meant she was too weak to help them.

As she spoke Maxim watched her expression, the hesitation and fear at recalling, but the determination to do so anyway. She understood, at least, that any intel she could give them would be invaluable, and the details she shared were important. The man who kept the ability to speak and make demands of his captives would likely be the alpha, one Maxim couldn't recall having met before, but that would work in their favor. Five to two wasn't a favorable ratio. They would have to take advantage of the surprise as much as possible.

"Good," he said gently, shifting easily into the calm voice and relaxed posture he was used to adopting around frightened victims. "You've done well. Those details will be vital when we find them."

He glanced briefly up when Kalen returned, determining easily enough that the other man had been listening despite his short walk away, and pulled the first aid kit closer as he returned his attention to Colette. "I'm going to take your necklace from you, for now," he warned, giving her a moment to refuse before reaching as unthreatening as possible towards her to unclasp it from around her neck and draw it away. From the first aid kit he opened a disinfecting wipe to clean it so it would have no trace of her scent at all, and when he was done he dried it gently with a corner of his shirt and tucked it into his jacket pocket where it would be safe but easily accessible.

"What I'm going to ask of you will be the most difficult task, by far." He said, ripping open another wipe for her to clean off her hands so she could properly dress her wound without bleeding all over everything, and when she had it he pushed back to get to his feet. "I need you to stay out of it. No matter how you dress the wound, wolves will smell you coming before you even touch their door. Even if they didn't, your injury will make you a liability in the event of a fight. Kalen and I will go and bring your friend back to you."

It would be difficult for her, staying away when her family was in danger, but there was nothing else for it. She would only get in the way, or get herself killed. She had to stay and simply wait, the most difficult thing any person could do when those they cared about were in peril.

"Kalen." Maxim looked sidelong at him, calm still but no longer attempting to be comforting as he stepped away from Colette's side, intent on leaving her before she could protest too much, or try to reach for him with her bloodied hands. "We try to talk it out first. Eagen will be our informant - he keeps us appraised of any trouble in his world, and we tip him off to any in ours. Protecting our packs through equal exchange."

It would have to do for now, with no other feasible reason to save a vampire's life without the alpha of the other pack believing him 'soft', another target to be preyed upon. They would bargain first, and fight when they had to.

Last edited:
A little bob of her head was her acknowledgement. Hopefully he wasn't just saying that… the patter of her panicked heart told her this shit was going to be dangerous. And if she couldn't supply helpful information then she wasn't doing much to help Eagan. Not to mention she was roping two other people into this mayhem that didn't need to be involved. As much as one of them was an asshole… she would feel guilty getting them into something they couldn't handle.

A slow breath was taken into her lungs before it was let out slowly through her nose. Wincing inwardly at another wave of pain through shoulder that had her already bloodied hand reaching to press into the wound as though to temper its sting. If there was one thing for sure, it was that the man in the trench coat hadn't been bluffing, and that with a mere signal given by hand, the wolf that had latched onto her shoulder would have torn her limb from limb.

"I hope so… Do you know these guys?" she asked suddenly, giving another little bobble of her head to comply with his wishes. Even if it was hard to feel the weight of the locket leave her neck. It was a possession of personal value and acted as a calming essence when Eagan could not be around to be the very thing. Often with a hand to shoulder or a brush of hand over her hair. Soothing gestures when the world just seemed a bit too much.

She'd watch his actions as he meticulously wiped the necklace clean, wondering at first if it was just to get the blood off, which it was, but not for simple cleanliness. It was soon stowed away in his pocket and she was lifting sights to be housed upon the both of them. Feeling a little sinking feeling in her gut at the warning given that what he was about to ask of her, would be hard. "I'm not afraid," she assured, taking the offered wipe that came from his hands and starting robotic movements of sanitizing hands. Items within the first-aid kit were familiar really, they used the same things on animals at the clinic. They wouldn't know, but that was the reason she wasn't going stark white at the gruesome nature of her wound. Who would believe a vampire to be afraid of blood anyhow? But it wasn't like she was used to the grizzly nature of things. She wasn't a part of a gang. This wasn't her typical average everyday!

She only knew of the gangs and their turf wars because of what Eagan told them. But he kept his children out of his business affairs with Black Rose. Eagan did take precautions to teach them how to take care of themselves on the streets. Knowing how dangerous of a place the city could be and that being affiliated with him could put them in danger.

Rather she was used to seeing wounds and injuries as mere broken things in need of fixing. Like a wobbly chair or a cracked glass… just a little more important to take care of! Having been working at the veterinarian clinic for a few years now to have become numbed in the means of seeing things that ought to turn her stomach.

So she waited to hear what the plan was, making sure fingers were clean before she started to rifle through the first aid kit for some gauze that she could wrap around her shoulder. Just she was pausing in the middle of the action and promptly rising eyes with a look of stark confusion as though she hadn't heard him correctly. "Wait, what??" He wanted her to stay out of it?? Her brows furrowed and she shook her head in slow motions. She didn't understand!

Kalen however, looked pretty casual about this. Arms still crossed and looking the part of stoic partner in crime. He didn't know what Maxim's plan was, but he could have told the little dame as much, that her smell would attract attention. Not smart for them when they didn't exactly know what they were dealing with. They'd need the element of surprise at the very least. Unless Maxim had something else in mind, which he almost always did.

But he had been correct of course, that this would be hard for her to understand. "But… but I called you here, I didn't…" She didn't expect them to just take care of this for her! "I want to help, there… has to be something I can do??" The latter formed as a question. That she certainly couldn't be completely useless! But if he was hearing her, he didn't show it.

"Mm. So that's your plan." Kalen nodded his head. They were going to try and wheel and deal this exchange. Smart… it would mean they could try to get back the hostage without fighting. They weren't exactly losing out on anything if it ended in a fight either way. Without a second breath, Kalen was trusting Maxim's judgement. Even though it was apparent someone else wasn't.

"Wait… stop ignoring me! I can just follow you—"

"If you do, then you're putting your family in danger. Do you want that?" Kalen was brutally honest. Turning the sights of green upon the girl that seemed to hesitate in her step forward at that moment. A clear look of contemplation on her features that had her looking quite downtrodden a second later. He hated that he felt for the bloodsucker. Her head of white hair was giving a little shake. He didn't need an answer to the obvious question, but the fact that she responded was at least comforting for the fact that she was listening.

"You caught that trail, right?" Kalen asked with a sniff in the air. It was the very same one Collette had been following this whole time. Just where she said it had been growing faint, to him it seemed rather strong. Perhaps because she was obviously not well fed as of late, her abilities were dwindling. "I don't think they're far away."

"Doesn't seem like your clan is particularly interested in saving you, leech." A wet sounding gurgle was Eagan's reply, with red coursing up esophagus to be spat upon the ground. Bound with silver to a chair, he could feel the metal digging into his wrists and hear the near hiss it relented from the reaction. Why, they never understood, but it seemed attune to general allergic reaction in a human. Whatever was in their blood now didn't like the metal, nearly acting as an acid that burned skin and made them grow weak.

Face was swollen and marred, peeking out through a surely bruising eye and having to blink out red that trickled down from a cut near his crown where he'd been struck. "…What… do you want…" Eagan huffed and spat again while eyes surveyed surroundings that didn't look any different from all the other times he's done so. Looking for anything that might clue him in to where he was. Or who these mongrels were. Slowly his fingers tightened into loose fists, hissing at the feeling of biting silver into his wrists.

"I don't remember you being a part of the negotiations." The man in the trench coat smirked, making a motion of hand to have his dogs stand down to give the man some breathing room. Last thing they wanted was the fanger to croak on them before the exchange. If there was to be one. Otherwise, they'd have a fun time making him suffer till his last breath. Good riddance.

"If I… find out you… hurt my family…"

"You'll what? Spit blood at me?" The man's chuckle was deep in his chest, and he gave a roll of his eyes, coming to settle himself in a chair across from the vamp, drawing out a cigarette and bringing it to his lips to light and take a long drag. "You have no room to be threatening me, vamp. Your clan should have left well enough alone." The only people he had to blame was his own.

Maxim stopped a few yards away, turning to look back at Colette with something sympathetic in his expression. "I'm sorry, Colette," he said with a shake of his head, "but you won't be of any use to us in there. Even at your best, it's clear one of our kind would be near impossible for you take on, and you're already hurt." Now, with her injury, she was just dead weight, there was nothing else to it. "You are best off staying here, near the car, and taking care of that wound. We may need to leave in a hurry."

He was trying to put it in gentler words than Kalen had, but the other man had a point and it did, at least, silence her. Not wholly confident that she would be obedient but hopeful that she would be scared enough to stay away, Maxim turned again and kept walking.

"I've got it," he said with a little nod, keeping his voice low already. "We're not far out."

The house, when they grew closer, was unmistakable. Plain and unremarkable from the outside to any human observer, but littered with the scent of wolves like they had been staying there for a while. Given the speed and brutality of the attack, Maxim wasted no time, simply walking right up to the door and rapping on it three times, then ringing the doorbell for good measure and standing back to wait, confident without looking that Kalen was at his back as support. He only had to repeat the process once more before someone grew bothered enough to answer.

The wolf that opened the door was female, and did nothing to hide her displeasure at seeing them. "You need to leave. Now."

"I need to speak to your alpha." Maxim said, rather than back down or apologize, standing firm in his position of alpha in his own right but without leaning on aggression. "I've been told you have something of mine. I'd like it back."

She growled low at them, but after a moment closed the door and retreated inside. There were muffled voices inside, clearly kept low enough for them not to be able to hear the words on purpose, and a minute or so later the she-wolf opened the door again, stepping wordlessly aside and allowing them entry into where the others of her pack were waiting. The building was small, as houses went, and lightly furnished. A safe house, clearly, or simply a spare property, something to be used in emergencies or never meant to be stayed in for long. Maxim didn't like what that meant for Eagen, but he stayed focused.

"There's nothing here you've got any right to," a new voice said, and Maxim's eyes were quick to be drawn away from the four other wolves as a bearded man in a trench coat walked out of the nearest bedroom. He was clearly unhappy, but for the moment not overly threatening. "Speak your peace and go."

"The vampire in your possession." Maxim said plainly, calm and pointed still, avoiding instigation as much as he possibly could while getting the job done. "Eagen. He's an informant of mine. I've come to negotiate his return."

"Negotiate?" The man guffawed, unimpressed, and raised a skeptical eyebrow at them. "If he's one of yours, why haven't we heard anything about it?"

Maxim met him stare for stare, unintimidated. "I don't make a point of letting people know more than they need to."

It was only partially a lie, really. He was always sure to make himself known to any local packs he was aware of, as an alpha or as an officer, and often ended up assigned to the ones that caused trouble so he was a somewhat familiar face to most, but he didn't share any information about his pack that was unnecessary. His aim was to help others, and to discourage them from making foolish mistakes and getting themselves jailed, not to put his own family in any danger. He was hopeful that most would see him as someone they could come to for help, but he didn't bet much on some of them.

"I'd like to see him now." Maxim said plainly, and kept a neutral face despite the surprise when the man actually gestured towards the doorway he had emerged from.

"Go ahead," he said with something almost like amusement in his voice, "There's not much left to look at."

Maxim eyed the man, wary even as he started to move towards the room - the alpha would be his, in the event of a fight, and the others they would just have to divvy up at random - and let his eyes skirt over the rest of the pack in one smooth motion before they were beyond the threshold. Eagen was in poor shape, badly beaten and bound with silver, but Maxim's poker face hardly twitched. Rather than hesitate, he went straight up to the man like he knew him, placing one hand lightly on top of his head to keep it still and holding the other up in front of him, his body blocking the locket dangling from his fingertips from view.

"Keep your head still," he instructed lowly, as if treating a patient. "Follow my finger with just your eyes, as best you can."

It was an easy enough assessment to judge his level of consciousness, and gave Eagen ample time to focus his vision and identify the Iocket. When he'd moved his hand slowly left, then right, Maxim straightened back up with a disappointed tch and casually slipped the necklace back into his pocket as he stepped away.

"He's no use to me dead," he said as he turned, allowing annoyance into his voice and a slight sneer onto his face purely because as an alpha he was expected to be angry at damage to what was his. Being 'only' a vampire, Maxim was sure Eagen only ranked as property to these people. "You've had your fun. I'll have him back now, so name a price. We'll negotiate."

There was a pause, as if for consideration, and as it lingered in the air between them it was a surprise that the man in the trench coat just barely didn't laugh in their faces. "Forget it. He's needed here. We've a bone to pick with his clan."

"I don't give a shit about his clan," Maxim interrupted before the man could move on, done with attempting to show more respect than he was due. "My concern is for my pack, and my pack only. Anything happens in his world that concerns me and my people, he tells me. Anything happens in our world that affects he and his, I tell him. It's an equal exchange, and I was quite happy with it until your lot had to come stomping in and muck it all up. So pick another piece of bait, wolf. This one is spoken for."

His own voice was calm and his words direct, but Maxim could already see it bubbling up inside the man - How dare you come here and tell me what to do. He wouldn't be reasoned with, and Maxim only spared a short glance over at Kalen to be sure he realized the same. They had entered a separate room, which the enemy would likely see as trapping them, but at least the other wolves would have to bottleneck to get inside. They were going to have to force their way out.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Megasis
With the little vampire left behind, Kalen kept ears peeled. Listening for her in case she thought not to listen, but also to other sounds that may suggest they weren't alone in the dark. But it was quiet. Something that did little to calm the rising jitter of nerves that prickled at his neck and stomach. Intuition that told him what they were getting into was going to be no walk in the park like they hoped. But like he'd said before, Maxim's plan was worth trying. And would, at the very least, give them a chance to scope out the scene without pouncing into the middle of a pack for them to get torn to shreds. He was confident in both of their abilities, but against a full pack, blood was guaranteed.

Hell, Willow was going to kill him for sure.

With a slow breath that came out in a white wisp, he crossed his arms slowly and awaited an answer at the door. There would be no hiding from them. He could hear the rustling of bodies inside, and his own prickled in awareness. To count without vision how many could be within. But ultimately impossible until eyes could confirm the different steps into actual bodies. His face was a stern mask, allowing Maxim to do the talking. It was a bit bold for them to flat out answer the door, but they also likely thought to see who the hell was creeping around their spooky little base in the middle of the night.

As usual, Maxim was as cool as could be. Like he had every right to be there. Giving off the aroma of the alpha that he was. About to contend with another as a male that seemed to fit the description the little vamp gave them came to show himself at the door. Beady eyes glaring with an intensity as though such a thing would scare the two of them off. Not likely to happen. The prick was cocky though, and that's what they could always bet on. Believing he had the upper hand, and therefore, was soon allowing admittance for the both of them to see the one captured.

Kalen would have really liked to claw him one in the smug mouth.

Cautiously, he stepped after his alpha. Glancing the orbs of green around the darkness without so much as stalling his steps. One… two… five of them in sight, it looked like. Counting the alpha. But that didn't mean there weren't others lingering in other parts of the house. He didn't like that being unknown… but it wasn't like they had much of a choice.

He was the one to watch the door as Maxim went into the singular room that stunk of vampire blood. It was nearly overpowering… he didn't have to look upon the creature to know he was in bad shape.

The glistening strands of the man's usual pale hair were painted red. Numbness touching the edges of his mind and only brought to awareness when there was a physical hand upon his head. Inwardly he winced. They would not let him catch even a moment of repose… but he soon noticed that it felt different. That it wasn't offering pain. His stomach swirled with the effort to peel back the lids of his blood crusted lashes, red having dripped from a split in his hairline. Blurred vision brought to slow focus upon a singular object glittering in front of him. One he recognized instantly, and felt his lungs stutter a quick inhale. One that had him feebly coughing up red to dribble from the corner of his lips. Colette. They couldn't have her, they couldn't-!

The singular sight nearly brought him to panic, but the level tone of one he didn't recognize made him hesitate from gurgling all the insults he could muster in his current state. He wasn't a dunce by any means. Just it did have him wondering who was in his presence. Doing as was requested, his brows twitched, fighting nausea to watch the glitter of locket move back and forth. It wasn't a taunt. It was… a subtle sign of alliance. His fingers tightened in their backward clasp, fighting against the sting of silver that dug into his wrists. Without the chains he might be able to heal enough to fight, but the silver kept him weakened. Bold, for a bunch of wolves to keep so much of their own kryptonite.

Kalen's eyes flickered to peripheral as Maxim drew upward, giving a snarl and an offer for negotiation. The moment of truth…

… of which the situation was prompt to flop on it's back like a shelled turtle that now struggled to turn itself over. But expected. This asshole's ego was too far up his ass for him to see reason. A shame, but it wasn't in his nature to back down from a fight with tail between his legs. The green of his eyes met Maxim's. No getting out of this one.

"I was hopin' I'd get to blooden that face of yours." Kalen growled, a subtle glow beginning in his irises, before skin was beginning to physically ripple. The alpha didn't hesitate to try and come through the door, but Kalen bared his way. Thanking the fact that he wasn't anything small in stature. "Let's dance, ugly." His fist wound back for knuckles to crack the man in the nose, before nails burst into claws and bones crackled with rearrangement to elongate his face. A deep menacing snarl came from his chest, his body growing, and tufts of his reddish brown curls beginning to grow further to cover his body. A thunderous bark echoed from the alpha, seeming to be the warcry that erupted the rest of his pack to movement, but Kalen was swift to shut the door with a clammer, barring it while nails and fists pounded at the door, jittering his frame as well as the door's to keep it shut!

"You certainly know how to find trouble-!" Kalen commented with a growl as his feet braced against the rickety old floorboards, giving Maxim the time he may have needed in order to prepare for the fight ahead of them. "I'll try and keep the little shits off your back!" His voice distorting along with his form as he grew a couple more feet in height and clothing ripped at it's seams as skin melted away for fur, and his growl grew a deeper octave. Snout sprouted dangerously sharp canines and as hind legs developed, he lost his hold on the door.

It came crashing inward and he leapt at the first body that found its way through, bringing it to the ground to shudder and shake whatever he'd managed to get his mouth upon. Whatever it was, it was meaty, spurting blood in seconds for a howl to reverberate through the air and for another body to claw its way inward and head straight for Maxim. "Shits should have minded your own business!!" It was the pack leader, also quick to shedding jacket mid shift to come barreling at the opposing alpha.

Maxim had given the pack around them as many chances as he could, already. Or, if one were to look at it purely from a numbers standpoint, he had given himself and Kalen as many chances to get out unscathed as they could. He had only what little information he could gather in the quick glances as they entered the room to go off of. There were five in total, none that looked weak or emaciated, and all clearly ready for a fight. The fact that none of them were relaxed when they had he and Kalen outnumbered made Maxim think they were up to something much larger than one vampire, and one small pack. They were just a small strike team, separate from any others that might have been young, weak, or simply left behind to protect their home.

There was a larger story here, and if they managed to limp out of this place he had to find out what it was.

The second Kalen struck, Maxim was in motion, but rather than rush forward to help him block the door he stepped quickly further into the room. "Spare the theatrics," he got out as he kneeled behind Eagan's chair, with adrenaline fueled amusement in his voice at Kalen's 'dancing' comment. "Fight smart. I'm right behind you."

The last thing they needed was to go into a mindless, frantic rage at the wolves coming after them. Despite the real threat of injury and the danger of being outnumbered despite their experience at fighting together, they couldn't panic. They had to fight dirty, attack anywhere that would slow the other pack down, retreat as well as they could in the confined space when they needed to regroup to keep from being piled onto rather than burst headlong into the chaos.

"Sit still." Maxim demanded quickly as he broke the padlock keeping Eagan's chains in place with one sharp twist, and started to work the chains free. "The next few minutes are going to be difficult enough without you in the way. Do us a favor and play dead."

It was a harsh truth, but the vampire was too injured to think of doing anything right then. He would need to sit still and let them fight, recover from the silver chains Maxim worked to get away from his body while Kalen held the door as long as he could. The silver was uncomfortable, bordering on too hot like spent coals in his hands, but he knew it wouldn't do any fatal, permanent, or extremely debilitating damage so long as it wasn't a blade or bullet getting under his skin and into his blood, so he endured. He needed Eagan free in case they could grab the man and run - and he needed something to fight with when freeing the vampire took up all the time he had to change forms.

As the first wolf to clear the barrier of Kalen's body came bounding at him, Maxim stepped away from the chair with a doubled over length of the chain dangling from his hands, swinging with it like a bat even as he moved forward rather than retreat as a cornered animal should. The length of it slammed into the wolf's head with enough force to arrest the momentum of its jump and sending it crashing to the ground with him on top of it almost before it landed. As violent as the blow had been it was only stunned for a moment, but it was all Maxim needed to loop the chain around its hind legs, twist it once to tighten, and yank against the fulcrum of his own knee with all of his strength. The snap of its bones was almost drowned out by the way it screamed, but Maxim didn't need to look to know the damage was done and the wolf was out of the fight. He had other things to keep his eyes on.

The same trick wouldn't work twice, he knew, not with the enemy alpha able to see him as he shifted and came bounding into the room. Unable to risk going slowly to look and assess first, Maxim only released one side of the chain as he regained his feet, pulling it free of the injured wolf and swinging in the same motion as he turned to sling it in front of him like a whip. The alpha was smarter than his underlings, though, quite shockingly, and dodged on his way in rather than rush headlong into the enemy. Without enough time to recover from the momentum of his own swing, Maxim could only shove the alpha's snapping jaws up away from his face, curling up and rolling backwards with the force of the impact to kick the wolf up and over his own head, into the nearest wall.

It was too small of a room and Eagan being near the fight was an unnecessary risk. The second he had rolled back to his feet Maxim turned and sprinted out of the room for the alpha to chase, leaping over Kalen's bloody take down and using the doorway to launch himself forward in the same motion, crashing feet first into the next wolf attempting to get inside. He landed with as much of his weight on top of it as he could, hoping to break ribs, and as he rolled away from it swung his chains at the last wolf that attempted to take advantage of him being on the ground. It was enough to get himself back to his feet, his eyes darting to Kalen to be sure he didn't need help, around at the remaining threats in the house, and then back to the alpha as he came careening into the living room after Maxim.

Maxim growled low in his throat, leaving the wolf he'd trampled for Kalen to handle and circling slowly for a moment as he and the other alpha assessed each other, the she-wolf he'd beaten back attempting to figure out if she should jump in on the alphas' fight. But Maxim couldn't wait for so long that he ended up next to her again and made himself vulnerable to attack. Doubled over chain in hand, he rushed forward with a snarl to go on the attack first and attempt to get the two wolves in each other's way as they tried to get at him.

'Let's dance', indeed.

Last edited:
"When do I not?" Kalen smirked with his already heavy baritone growing gruffer and animalistic, till all that was left of his voice was thundering growls and snarls from an elongated snout with fearsome fangs peeking out from whiskered muzzle. His coat of deep reds rustled in a firm shake as residue and extra skin from the transformation slid with a slop to the floor. It was still painful, but after so many changes, you tended to get used to it.

The relief felt was indescribable as the pure silver chains were lifted from his body. The constant stinging ache that made his body feel heavy like a sack of bricks finally ebbing enough to give him room to breathe. To function. Maxim's words filtered through a heady fog, enough for comprehension and for his head to motion an agreeing nod. Whoever these wolves were, he owed them his life. For aiding in his rescue, of course, but also for aiding Colette. In what ways were still unknown, but he gave them an odd amount of trust. It was hard not to, given the current circumstance.

"I will— h-heal. Then join." Though if they could manage to toss a hound his way, his acts of healing would be much quicker and more potent. He'd lost a lot of blood, and needed to replace what was lost at some point, but for now, he would survive. Maneuvering his body to slink from the chair, he took the best cover he could in the corner of the room. Hunkering down while trying to keep his awareness about him so that he didn't get caught unawares and chomped on by incoming jaws.

Glad that he moved moments next when the auburn colored wolf became overwhelmed at the door. The wood splintering to pieces as the first wolf came within and leapt at the one still in human form. It didn't last long, and the gift Eagan had been hoping for was soon there and ripe for the taking. He wouldn't kill the werewolf… but he wouldn't make the process pleasant either after what they did.

The stink of the alpha came barreling in next, and Kalen was doing what he could to take care of the annoying littler pests. The least he could do was keep them off of Maxim's back while he tangled with the scarred up alpha.

Whoever he was, he seemed a seasoned veteran. But took the bait with stark irises honed in on his prey. His adversary, rather, since Maxim seemed like no bounding rabbit. Tactical and not planning on running to stay out of reach, but organizing a better fighting environment that would give him room to maneuver. Not that the alpha seemed worried. Huffing and snarling with spittle sprinkling from dark jaws. He barked a gravelly sound with the sharps of ears pointed forward toward Maxim. Having to ignore the whimpering of his comrades for now, and using it instead to fuel his anger for how this night was panning out! There was a fierce drive to feel the softer flesh of that neck between his teeth, to clench and feel bones break till the pulse in veins stopped altogether. These wolves would pay for interfering.

And he was at a strict disadvantage. By still being in his human form, it made him all the more vulnerable. Less agile. This wolf was way in over his head. And it was that very attitude of superiority cockiness that had him toying with the younger alpha. Circling slowly with claws creating marks in the floorboards. A chuff in his chest was practically a laugh as his eyes picked out a comrade at the opposing alpha's hind quarters. He was surrounded. One misstep and he would be sure to spill the boy's blood.

Outnumbered as Kalen was picking his own battles, he couldn't help. Roaring as a smaller wolf pounced on his back to grip at the nape of his neck to try and pull him down. Jaws clacking, he managed to grab a foot and tug the smaller dog off, but it left him bleeding. It was perhaps naive to think he would get out of the scrap uninjured, but fuck, that hurt! By the time he could even manage a glance upward with green discs to gauge the situation, it was too late. His eyes took in the sight of Maxim dueling with two enemies. One at his back, one at the front. Kalen had just put himself into motion when his body was knocked down by another furry body in the dark, leaving him scrambling and rolling with the other in his sporadic motions to get free!

All he could do was bark out a warning when the she-wolf made her move to lunge and grab at Maxim's leg. A harsh bite, but it was not to be the ending blow. It was supportive, to keep him him pinned for the alpha that was soon tensing body for a final pounce upon Maxim's form.

How eager he was to sink his teeth into flesh, just as he was sailing through the air... he was suddenly diverted by mere flea! The stark annoyance mixed with confusion likely would have been a sight to see! If only it wasn't so dark… and said flea's head wasn't currently buried in scruff as fangs latched in a grapple upon the alpha's neck! His body was knocked off kilter as the smaller body met his in the air and they went tumbling off to the side. Then the view was suddenly similar to a rodeo, with the smaller form grappling the large dog in a full body hug as white tresses were whipped about with the wolf's frantic measure to knock the leech free!! And meanwhile her jaw only bit harder till she could practically feel meat coming loose from the severing bite.

The two wolves could be mad at her all they wanted… but Colette couldn't just stay behind and do nothing!

But what they were right about was that such a fight was not her expertise. And despite having good timing for her leap into the fray, the scarred alpha was soon shaking her loose enough that he could twist his head back and snag fangs over the thick of her thigh. It happened in mere seconds. The bloody chomp on the wolf's neck was released as an alarming scream left her cords, and then she was being thrown. Her body sailing across the room for a bone cracking impact against a window to make it shatter and a sharp twisted pain erupting in her middle that cut off any sound she may have tried to make in pain. A jagged edge of glass glimmered in her middle, and all she could manage was an open eyed stare at it. As though unable to comprehend that what she was looking at was her own body.

Though her vision began to go quite quickly, as the brightness of irises dimmed to half behind lids. Where the world was quickly going blurry.

Maxim had known he would be at certain disadvantages, using the little time he'd had to shift in freeing Eagan instead, but he wasn't a man in the habit of leaving others behind, and if he'd left the vampire tied in silver he may not have survived at all. It left Maxim his hands, and more mobile, useful limbs, but decreased some of his force and left him with only blunt weapons rather than fangs or claws. He'd only had seconds to weigh their options, and he'd known it would be dangerous before they'd entered the house, but he had to try.

Kalen's warning came a fraction of a second too late, Maxim already in motion to get away from the she-wolf as she sprang forward behind him, and on all fours her speed from standstill far exceeded his. He bit down on a cry of pain when her jaws closed around his leg, channeling all of his energy and conscious thought into keeping himself from hitting the ground as a result. The stumble that came from her halting his momentum was enough to throw him off balance, enough that he could only have sacrificed an arm to the other alpha's jaws to keep himself alive.

If Colette hadn't come charging through the door, he may not have been able to defend himself in time.

As much as he worried for her smaller, softer frame, he couldn't very well help her while stuck in place and twisted immediately to deal with the she-wolf anchoring him to the ground. Perhaps, in the thrill of certain victory, she had forgotten just who and what he was. When he wrapped the chain around his hand and drove his fist down into her head, she didn't expect the force would be enough to fracture her skull, or to rupture her eye in its socket.

Maxim knew he'd likely broken a finger or two in the process, but it was a small sacrifice to pay for the high stakes before him, and it succeeded in making the wolf let go with a piercing shriek of pain. As she backpedaled he let the chain fall off his hand again, gripped it tightly like a bat once more despite the burning pain in his hand as he tensed, and as she lurched back at him in blind rage cracked it across the opposite side of her skull. When she'd dropped to the ground, he turned to find the other alpha free of his burden, and at the sight of Collette bleeding on the ground he let out an angry snarl and stepped forward to present himself as a target once more.

"Let's finish this."

He was limping, bleeding down his calf and with one and a half functioning hands at his disposal, and now on top of it all had three other bodies to be worried over. By all rights he should have lost the fight already, and he had to count on that overconfidence to lead the alpha back towards him. As the large wolf charged, Maxim kicked with his bad leg, foot caught on the length of chain like he was too tired and in pain to notice it, too slow to avoid the counterattack. It was easy for the other alpha to turn his head, open his jaws wide and catch Maxim's foot in his mouth, and the chain along with it. With a jaw that could crush bone, Maxim had to rely on his work boots and quick reflexes to keep himself from being crippled, and the timing had to be precise. The second the alpha's jaws closed, he bent his knee, pulling himself closer even as he dropped to the ground to take either side of the chain in hand, and pulled down with all his strength as he straightened his leg up towards the sky.

With a resounding crack, the lower half of the wolf's jaw dislocated and fractured all at once.

Maxim pulled his shoe free of where the alpha's teeth had embedded into the soul, kicking against his chest with his other leg to push him away, and rolled away to get back to his feet. The broken teeth and jaw left his foe unable to bite and in excruciating pain, and with his improvised weapon still in hand Maxim took just a second to breathe while the wolf recovered with a whining cry.

"Walk out now," Maxim growled, gathering his improvised weapon back in hand and giving it a loose spin with small flicks of his wrist, ready to shift the extra momentum into a forward strike at a moment's notice, "Or I take your legs next."

This fight couldn't go on much longer, not with Eagan crawling in the back room and Colette lying bleeding and possibly unconscious by the broken window. He had to draw the man's ire without pushing too hard on his pride, get him to reconsider just whose favor the odds were in now and either leave or foolishly press on in the fight between two alphas without drawing anyone else in. If it was possible to avoid further injuries Maxim was always willing to stop, but he would keep fighting if he had to. Even if his own fight continued, and he could only make sure Kalen made it out alive, that would have to be enough. His pack would take care of each other.

Last edited: