How Much Personal Space Do You Observe?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on how comfortable I am with people, I generally don't like it when people touch me though.

I hate personal space invaders. No offence if you are one, but...I state early on in a friendship that I don't like hugs. Most people take that as a challenge, which isn't appreciated.

If I respect your likes and dislikes, please respect mine. ._.

I don't like people invading my space or touching my stuff without permission, but I'm sure most people are like that also.
My mom is the only person who lives with me and she doesn't really care about me that much. I don't have much friends either...So I have so much personal space right now it get lonely sometimes...

As a misanthrope the more space there is between me and the other vermin, the better. My personal space is my sovereign territory and any trespass will be an act of war and I will use any means necessary to protect it. Three feet is the minimum safe distance before the urge to set you on fire takes precedence.

I only permit hugs from significant others only.

Only in extreme circumstances will I tolerate one's existence at close quarters before I lose my shit. Personal contact is restricted to a handshake as a formality only. Any attempt of personal contact without my permission will result in acute lead poisoning and excruciating pain exacted on the offender in question. You will be warned.

Personal space for me is pretty...small. Totally fine with sitting next to complete strangers, like on a bus. Just get uncomfortable with the awkward leg touch there.

If I know you, or even just know of you? No fucks given really. I do hug female friends, but not male. And that's about all.

I observe so much personal space of people that I barely leave my house anymore.

Reactions: Kaddoc
I'm a fairly open person with regards to personal space, though only friends and family members are allowed to breach (approx.) >4 inch distances. When other people do that it pisses me off enough to ruin my day, which is really bothersome since I use public travel and some assholes really like stretching their legs/sitting sideways/scooting closer for no reason at all.

Being a social introvert, I've always been painfully aware of the 'bubble', that divide between persons to be adhered to at all times beyond extraordinary circumstances or bonds shared.

When it comes to family and close friends, I don't mind closer than normal contact. My niece and nephews/cousins can sit on my lap or lean against me on the couch, aforementioned friends may sit adjacent, and physical touching can be allowed... provided I'm aware of the intention ('I'm going to hug you, touch your...') to do so. My neck area is crossing into haphephobia.

When dealing with strangers, if it can be managed, I will always put at least three feet of distance between us, and I despise going into crowded areas for this reason. I shirk away from long lines, elevators, etc. If my attention is elsewhere and I find someone has decided to stand rather close to me (such as examining the same book or video game shelf) I will go elsewhere until that person moves on and I'll return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless it's my hubby, I don't hug snuggle/cuddle anyone. My parents I'll hug and allow myself to be cuddled, but I'm not an initiator. I don't even hug my siblings except once in the blue moon. I'm friendly enough but personal space is a real big deal to me. Even with close friends I feel awkward with hugs and end up like a stiff board.

With animals though I'm diff xD hug, cuddle, snuggle, nuzzle, I'll do all that.

Oh, this reminded me. I'm odd in that I actually observe more personal space with my brother than I do with a typical person. It might have a lot to do with how we grew up together, but it actually feels wrong to be cuddly with him. I mean, family hugs are fine, but just him would feel strange. I'd say that the little play fights we have together are like our version of the hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.