How Much Personal Space Do You Observe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawl um... It varies greatly for me lol. Even at home, I have a well-rounded "bubble" that I'd rather no one step in, especially if I'm in a not-so-good mood. But don't touch me. Don't touch me unless I say it's alright. That's only if you're coming on to me and I haven't just given you a hug without a care in the world.

I have no personal space, no bubble what so ever. You want to hug me, lean on me, sit in my lap, hang all over me.. go right ahead. i do not care. I am a very affectionate person and if you are my friend you will get hugs whether you want them or not.. though all of my friends know this and just don't care anymore XD

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
All of the personal space. I'm one of those people who don't like being touched, especially unexpectedly by someone I don't know. I don't even hug my family because ugh human contact. I've completely cut off contact with people who were otherwise decent because they were huggers. If I know someone is gonna fucking try to hug me every time we meet and then again upon departure, I just don't want anything to do with that nonsense.

I am, however, totally capable of sucking it up and shaking someone's hand and such when necessary, so it's not a crippling aversion to being touched or anything like that.
How much would I have to pay you for a hug?

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
At all times, a minimum of three to six feet, for strangers and friends alike. On buses or public transportation, however close is necessary, but I won't like it. At home, don't even enter my goddamn room or breathe in my direction.

Physical contact really isn't something I'd seek out voluntarily. I barely tolerate hugs from my parents and grandparents, but that's about it. Usually when people approach me in such a manner I shut down, and autopilot takes over to avoid being the social equivalent of a black sheep. Handshakes are okay, if I expect or see them coming and have enough time to process the thing that's happening. If I've zoned out and feel somebody bump into or touch me, it's equivalent of getting a slap or punch in the guts.

Maybe I'm just really bad at social cues or whatever, but my reaction time is either the speed of light or the time it takes for a mountain to erode completely. If I'm not prepared for said physical contact I get anxious and twitchy, and it throws me off for hours after the actual thing happened. It really isn't a fun experience for anyone when that happens.

TL;DR, don't even touch me unless you're family, dating me or such a good friend people think we're actually dating when we're just friends.

My kids and my husband are the only people that I let get close to me. I need lots of personal space, and try to give people the same. I may joke that people need hugs, but I wouldn't be the type to give them out. I barely tolerate hugs from my family, let alone anyone else.

I wish I could be more extroverted and willing to hug. Cause I do often want to hug people.
It just makes me really uncomfortable and awkward. :/
A hug whore. I hope this exists somewhere.

Depends, really. If I'm having an okay day, people can be rather close to me without me being bothered.

Other times, if im having a shit day and depression is raging, I'll hop in my car and just drive a city or two away from my house just to be alone with my thoughts and Vape it out, then go home and close myself off in my room.

It can be those two, or anywhere in between.

My personal boundaries are vastly different for friends vs acquaintances vs strangers.

I hate being touched by strangers, including handshakes, and I'm only comfortable if they're at least four feet away; I hate sitting next to people I don't know.

I'm pretty fine with normal stuff with acquaintances--a handshake as a greeting, sitting close to them, putting a hand on their shoulder, and so on. Nothing like hugs.

As for close friends, I pretty much don't have boundaries. I don't mind hugs, kisses, leaning on me, sitting really close, play fighting, whatever. I don't tend to initiate this stuff because I'm socially awkward, but I'm totally fine with my friends doing it. I used to have a large bubble even with my friends, but then one of my close friends just suddenly held out her arms for a hug when we were saying goodbye, and I was like "you know what this isn't so bad."

Unless we're in a close and intimate relationship, don't touch me. It is awkward. :ferret:

I'm uncomfortable when people make physical contact with me, and I flinch if someone tries to make contact with my face. I like my space. Unless our relationship is close and I feel comfortable touching you, or I'm the one to initiate contact, don't come near me and certainly do not touch me.

Meh. It depends where.

If I don't know you? Stay away from me. I'd rather not even stand too close to you.

If we're friends? Hugs hugs hugs hugs cuddle cuddle cuddle cuddle. :3

Reactions: Minibit and Gonzo
From all the posts here I'm wondering what the reaction would be to an International facehugger hug day. :3

if there's a chance my elbow could touch you if I put my hands on my hips and do a circle, you're too close.

It bugs the hell out of me when people get all up in your bubble in a lineup; as if standing closer together will make the cashier ring people through faster! To get around this, if someone is standing close behind me, I shift my stance so that I'm somewhat sideways, with the leg on the imposer's side straight, and leaning on my other one. This creates some extra distance while still keeping my foot/lower leg close enough that they won't take another step and close it. If they sidestep/ignore this, I put on my best creeped out face and say "Personal space", and do the whole closed posture-fear-of-touch expressionism to guilt them into backing off.

Kind of a douchey way to solve it, sure; but they shouldn't be breathin all up on my neck >.<

Hmm, maybe I should just get a sound clip of

"Don't stand
Don't stand so
don't stand so close to me!"

and have it on my homescreen or bookmarked somehow so I can play it when people get close behind me in a line

srsly guys you have no idea how much that grinds my gears.

I don't mind being close to people I know and like. I like cuddles and I like warmth, and, for me, being close without actually doing anything else is a great way to say I like you. It was also a really great way to get spontaneous backrubs out of my family when I was younger.... >.><.< I miss that. Now, I'm more uncomfortable with close because I don't know what it might mean to the other person, and I'm aware of that fact. And if I don't know a person, I'm not going to be all up in their space, and would prefer that they not be all up in mine either. In fact, if I don't know you and have no desire to get to know you, my thoughts run more along the line of Get off my lawn!

Elbow wars on planes are fun... :/

My main peeve with hugs is that I don't know where to put my arms. So you can hug me or I will hug you, but if we both go for hugs at the same time, things get awkward.

I do have a thing about people being behind me, especially if I don't know them or they're looking over my shoulder. I'd much rather if they were where I can see them or beside me. If they're behind me, I don't know them and they're looking over my shoulder, I'll just be a wreck of can't do anything, can't do anything, can't do anything. Thankfully, this does not happen often.

I also don't like people's hands or faces around my face and neck unless I initiated it. It makes me want to bite. I mean, they are conveniently close to my teeth and I don't know why they're even getting that close in the first place, so it'd serve them right. But society says biting is bad...

Last edited:
When I'm with people I know or like I'm a hug-monger. I like giving and receiving hugs from my best friend, my close friends, etc. I would come up behind them, even if they're taller than me, just to hug them from behind. I also tend to touch their sleeves or elbows a lot, I've been a little clingy before.

But with strangers and acquaintances? Hell no. Arms length is the way to go, otherwise I'd end up too distracted with how close they are to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.