Helswane Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stepping forward, Jace drew his sword in the moment it had begun. Kneeling just slightly behind Darius, he rose his hand and began a wide sweeping circular motion, focusing on the center of the kobold, as he began to chant. Small tendrils of light began to flow from his hand, nearly transparent as they quickly dispersed themselves about the room, attempting to attach to the enemies that lay before them.

"Honor disavowed and the high tower on guard, broken sword and bright light, weakening of the unjust and crippling of the abyssal, battle is not on your side." Jace finished his incantation and his hand movement, the tendrils suddenly contracting on the enemies in the room before dissolving into the air. Two of the kobolds and the hobgoblin had remained focused, the threads ripping around them while their allies had slowly been interwoven with the spell. [Cast 'Bane' on all enemies effected : (-1) attack rolls and fear saves]

Standing from his kneel, Jace rose his shield and readied his blade, awaiting the first of the retaliation.

The work crew reacted savagely. On the far walkway the Orc reeled with Garrick's javelin in its shoulder, but kept a grip of its own. To return the favour it hurled its inferior javelin at the halfling, but only succeeded in hitting the wall. It snarled then plucked Garrick's masterwork weapon from its flesh with a horrid twist, preparing to make a second throw.

Down below, the Kobold were spurred into action by the yell of the Hobgoblin. They dropped their sacks and charged at Darius and Mallow, breaking into pairs to assault the two. Darius, in his platemail, weathered the jabs of their spears sufficiently, but Mallow took a spearhead to the knee [4 damage to Mallow]. He twisted and brought his guard round, and only then realised that the wily Hobgoblin had flanked him. The taskmaster's longsword slammed again the Dwarf's side, almost splitting the armour. If the Hobgoblin had not been stunned by Lindon's spell, it might have scored a killing blow.

Mallow was outnumbered three to one... and Darius did not fare much better.

Meanwhile, the Bugbear turned on the elevator and called the hunting dog over. It was motioning at Jace and Lindon, spurring the dog to attack.

Darius saw the first Kobold coming. With stride unbroken he dropped his warhammer low, then made an unswing that caught the reptilian beneath the jaw. The creature skull was crushed, and Darius moved on, bringing his shield to block the second opponent. In the corner of his eye, he could see the Dwarf getting swamped. "WE NEED HELP HERE!"

Behind them, on the walkway, Lindon nodded. He pulled back into the doorway and began tapping the planes with his magic. He would summon an ally to this fight... something big... something fearsome.

[size=+1]"You throw like a child, you big green fuck!" I roar at my attacker as his javelin hurtles past me and slams into the wall behind me. In response he snarls and tugs my weapon from his shoulder and prepares to throw it.

I'm potentially about to be impaled by my own weapon. That's some serious irony right there.

In a panic I snap my crossbow up and fire. But in my hurry I've aimed to high; the bolt goes sailing over the Orc's head as he's readying his throw.

Well shit. This could end badly.[/size]

A spear had pierced my knee and I was being surrounded! This was not good. I cried out in pain as I quickly assessed the situation. I was still weakened from the previous fight and now I had a handfull of little buggers poking me along with a bastard of a hobgoblin making things even worse for me. It seemed like this hobgoblin was a leader of sorts, maybe I could route the kobolds if I took him out...worth a shot.

I griped my axe and swung it with righteous fury, missing the hobgoblin by a mile...I had been thrown off balance by the spear blow. Things were a lot worse than I had expected. Would this be the end of our ragtag group? It saddened me that we might not find glorious treasure awaiting us, but rather death's cold grasp.

After the completion of the curse, Jace immediately began to flow into another, using up his reserves to give them every advantage. The same small tendrils of light appeared, connecting the party members to himself by this faint untouchable bond, while he wavered his hands and chanted. "Blessing of the elder warrior, guidance of the noble master, the glory of Heironeous beckons the boon of battle."

Quickly the small tendrils of light repeated much in a same way that had occurred before, this time wrapping themselves around the party's hands and weapons, disappearing quickly. With a heave of effort, Jace returned to a combat stance and positioned himself against the kobolds, gripping his sword handle tight.

[Cast "Bless" on all party members: (+1) Attack Rolls, +1 Fear Saves]

The Orc on the walkway stepped closer, hurling the masterwork javelin back at its owner. But the goblin spear was utterly foreign to him. It thudded into the walkway a few feet in front of Garrick. The Orc roared again, and began unsheathing his falchion.

Down below, the Bugbear barked a command and sent the hunting dog charging at Jace. It sprinted across the bagging area, between Darius and Mallow, and leapt at the cleric. But its jaws could not find purchase. It slid back to the ground and snarled up at Jace, slavering with hunger. And behind it, the Bugbear stood his ground, keeping one of the bags tucked behind his leg.

In the main skirmish, the lone Kobold tackling Darius backed away, fearfully, and jabbed his spear at the paladin. But it was a pointless effort. His comrades, however, fared better. With the Hobgoblin flanking Mallow, the other two Kobold were free to exploit the Dwarf's weak points. Another spear tip pierced Mallow's hip, cutting deep into muscle. [3 damage to Mallow].

Darius heard Mallow's second cry, and it spurred him on. He pinned the next Kobold down with his shield and delivered a crushing blow that caved the creature's chest. And before the bloodspray had settled he had turned and moved straight towards Mallow, getting beside him and distracting the nearest Kobold. At least now, his ally could turn and not be flanked by the Hobgoblin.

Meanwhile, a crossbow bolt sailed through the air and stuck the Orc in the stomach as it drew its falchion. Lindon's shot was good, but hadn't quite finished Garrick's opponent. The Orc staggered but got its weapon free all the same.

Then, with a crack of stone and rumble of earth, Lindon's summoned ally arrived. From the ground behind the Hobgoblin, a Monstrous Centipede burst into the light and bit at the taskmaster's ankles. The Hobgoblin's armour held, but it was distracted nonetheless. Turning, it shrieked and made to battle the oversized insect.

Now Mallow, Darius and the centipede had one opponent each. The odds were evened.

[size=+1]Another crossbow bolt comes sailing in from out of eyesight and slams into the Orc; good shooting from Lindon. My foe staggers, but still manages to pull free his blade and ready to charge me.

The thought of having to take this monster on in close combat sends me into a panic; desperately I fire my crossbow again. But my jerky movements throw my aim off massively as the bolt hurtles past the Orc's head once again.

I'm really starting to get the impression that our luck has run out finally.[/size]

Thank the gods!

My heart race as blood pumped out of two gashes in my body. now wasn't the time to give up. I was given a chance, the playing field was evened. I had a Kobold in front of me now, awaiting my axe. I raised it, and the world around me started to waver...the blood loss...I swung a clumsy strike and missed my target. I panted as the world around me blurred and refocused. An imminent attack approached...

Stepping forward, Jace lunged but the swing of his blade missed as the dog nimbly avoided it, growling back at him. Grunting in anger, Jace pushed forward, despite the dog's position, to get to Mallow.

Garrick had barely missed his shot when the Orc came charging around the walkway with his falchion. The halfling leapt back as the blade slammed into the wall where his head had been. He could smell the foetid breath of the greenskin, feel the heat radiating from its body.

Down below, the hunting dog took another bite at Jace as he tried to edge past. This time it got its jaws tight around the Cleric's leg and with a crunch of metal sunk its canines into the armour and ripped out again, bloodily. [4 damage to Jace]. The Cleric stumbled, unable to get to his allies; but thankfully they were faring well. With the Hobgoblin distracted the two remaining Kobolds jabbed in vain at the heavy armour of the fighters. They were losing ground each time and their was morale at breaking point.

Yet this only spurred their leader to fight all the harder. The Hobgoblin got his sword into the Centipede's belly and pushed with all his might, skewering the summoned fiend. And as it reeled the Bugbear leader came charging from the elevator, sensing at last a worthy foe. Slamming into the Centipede's flank he brought the morning star hard against its head, crushing flesh and mandibles. In the space of seconds, the two dungeon lords had torn the creature apart.

As it fell, Lindon tried to aid it, but his shot went wide of the Hobgoblin. But Darius's warhammer had just smashed apart the third Kobold. The paladin, now flecked in reptilian blood, trampled the corpse and stepped in front of Jace and Mallow. He would shield them from the Bugbear and Hobgoblin, even if it cost him his life. "YOU DIE THIS DAY!" he roared, spitting up into the face of the Bugbear.

The dogs teeth plunged into Jace's flesh as he attempted to pass, pressing him beyond comprehension for a moment. With an uncharacteristic snarl, he drew his blade as the beast prepared to retract from it's attack, but this was to be the end. With a quick flourish, Jace placed both hands on the hilt of his blade, and drove it straight down into the base of the filthy mongrels skull. A sudden and last whimper escaped the dogs teeth, and it was no more. [19 attack roll total, 8 damage to Dog, Deathblow]

Pulling the blade out from the carcass, with a small smile of satisfaction despite the blood flowing from his leg, Jace rounded on the nearest Kobold. His stance wobbly from the injury, he had no choice but to grit his teeth and hold his shield steady, waiting for their next advance. "Pick up the pace, I intend to die with the sun shining down on me, not under the boot of these ugly bastards!", he called out.

Rushed by the Orc mid-load, Garrick had no chance to draw a melee weapon. He could only duck beneath the beast's falchion and make an improvised attack with his crossbow bolt. It glanced the greenskin's armour, and the halfling stumbled against the walkway railing. His guard was open. The Orc turned and raised its blade for a killing blow. But then a crossbow bolt thudded through its temple and out one eye.

Lindon's shot had been perfect. The greenskin dropped to one side and stirred no more.

Down below, Mallow still struggled with the final Kobold, while Jace and Darius moved to shield him from the Horde Masters. Darius made his attack, hurtling with full force at the Bugbear. "By Holy Syreth I cast thee from the light!" His warhammer crackled briefly with divine might and skimmed over the top of the Bugbear's shield, fracturing his chest and shoulder armour. [Bugbear to 10hp]

The Bugbear reeled and howled in fury, swinging its morningstar and clanging against the paladin's shield. Meanwhile, the Hobgoblin swung its longsword at Jace, but miscalculated the distance. Behind them, however, the Kobold was more cunning. It exploited the breach in Mallow's armour and pierced the Dwarf's thigh a second time, shedding more blood and sapping his strength. Mallow was bleeding out, and the Kobold was getting braver. [2 damage to Mallow]

Using the Hobgoblins mistake to his advantage, Jace brandished his sword and stepped forward, plunging the metal through a small opening in the Hobgoblin's armor, withdrawing the blade covered in blood and returning to rank, a grim smile set upon his face as the Hobgoblin faltered for a moment. [4 damage to Hobgoblin].

Withdrawing around Darius, Jace cast the party a small shout. "Mallows in trouble, Garrick, Lindon, tend to him!", he finished just as he raised his shield and prepared for the counter.

Everything was hazy now. The blood loss was getting to me and the kobold causing it was relentless. Another pierce to my thigh shot pain through my body, causing a reactive, wild swing of my axe. I swung it at the blurry figure that I hoped was the kobold and sure enough, my axe's bite dug into soft flesh. I yelled aloud in pain, happiness, and simply to let everyone know I was still alive as I felled the annoying little kobold that damn near killed me...With death so close, I was forced to evaluate my next actions very closely, unless I collapsed fro the blood loss first...Shield? I struggled to raise it to prepare some form of defense. I swirled my head around to notice taller figures battling around me...my friends. I was thankful for their presence.

[6 damage to Kobold, killing blow]

[size=+1]I am now aware of the phenomenon known as 'your life flashing before your eyes as an Orc is about to disembowel you'.

Making a mental note to thank Lindon profusely if we survive this, I hear Jace's call for support. Looking down upon the combat below I can see why; Mallow's in bad shape, beset by several assailants. Slapping a new bolt into my crossbow, I raise the weapon up to fire upon the Kobold... just as the dwarf slams his axe into the creature and sends it crumpling to the ground.

Damn, that's one tough motherfucker right there.

Swinging my aim to the side, I focus my shot upon the Hobgoblin that Jace is battling. The bolt sails across the room and punches through the side of the beast's head [4 Damage, Killing Shot]. My aim is back, it seems; better late than never. Which leaves just the Bugbear that Darius battles.

My eyes dart over to my fallen javelin, and I begin to move for it.

I'll give that big hairy fuck something to roar about.[/size]

With a face swamped with perspiration, Jace could not help but feel the sense of grim satisfaction that was taking place. The battle had surely shifted in their favor, now leaving all party members in tact, as Mallow was for now, to deal with the one last opponent before them. To get this over with, Jace quickly ran around the bugbear so that he was now opposite Darius. Brandishing his longsword one more time, he struck out at the beasts position, but to only a small effect. The bugbear turned just in time to evade most of the blow, but Jace's blade caught in his armor, taking a small swipe out of the creatures side, causing it to roar with anger and pain.

[1 damage to Bugbear, 9 HP remaining]

The Bugbear twisted as Jace made his strike, then roared again and swung back at Darius. Its morningstar caught the paladin's shoulderplates, but could not pierce the armour.

Darius spun with the blow, his shield up as his warhammer lashed, pendulum-like. The head caught the Bugbear's leg, shattered its kneecap and elicited a painful howl. The slavemaster hobbled, growing more desperate as he became surrounded.

[Bugbear to 4hp]

[size=+1]The javelin lies near to the wall, where the Orc threw it in an attempt to use my own weapon on me. I snatch it up and turn to face my target, who's currently under heavy attack by Darius. As the soldier's hammer shatters the beast's leg I almost feel sorry for the damn thing. Then I look at Mallow, who's bleeding out nearby, and remind myself that this bastard has it coming.

I break into a running throw, sending my weapon through the air towards the slavemaster. But the Bugbear manages to spot it at the last minute, snapping his shield up to send the javelin spinning off into the dirt. Bastard's sharp, I'll give him that.

Cursing, I reach for my crossbow. Guess I just have to do this the old-fashioned way.[/size]

Stumbling towards the bugbear, somehow managing to keep my shield raised, I lurched forward, swinging my axe in a downward strike no better than a novice. My strength was waning as blood left my body through the many open wounds I wore. I couldn't see myself, but I was sure I looked like a bloody mess. I could feel the blood caked in my beard and long hair. This could very well be the end of me, should we not destroy this bugbear quickly.

Jace had to give it to Mallow, attempting to continue the fight in his condition. Though the other part of him growled, audibly, as the beast prepared to turn his next attack on the near defenseless Dwarf. Putting all he had left into the swing, Jace struck out with his sword, aiming straight for it's head as it's greedy eye turned towards Mallow. His aim held.

[5 damage to bugbear, killing blow]

He could feel the beast pass on, the blade soared and passed through the bugbear's wind tunnel as it took a clean slice out of his neck. With a horrible gurgling noise, the beast tottered and began to collapse. With a split second hesitation, Jace threw himself out of the way, as it fell to occupy the space in which he had just stood. Hardly out of the dirt was Jace, but he was already laughing, his eyes attached to the sunlight pouring in from the surface, the battle was over.

Status
Not open for further replies.