Helswane Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Put the medium breastplate on, abandoning my old scale mail. The breastplate felt good. It didn't feel heavier than my scale mail, and surprisingly, it seemed to fit my barrel chest just fine.

"Ha! Excellent! This is a fine piece of armor. It will surely keep these beasts' blades away from my heart."
I looked at the group and then back at the ogre. "Nice work. We really should keep movin'."

After everyone took their share of the spoils, I tossed the sack of meat over the ropes and into one of the pools. My old armor simply laid on the ground where I had taken it off as I walked forward, motioning for the group to follow.

As water poured over the ledge and into the feeding room, there was no argument with Mallow's suggestion. Securing their weapons and loot, the party returned to the barrack room for a brief breakfast of fish-heads and bread-hunks, before stashing their dried blankets. Warm clothes and the victory over the Ogre had raised their spirits, and as they followed the tunnel beyond the barracks it wasn't hard to see where the beast had come from. Gouges in walls and ceilings; dropped meat scraps; slimy footprints; broken tunnel struts. They needed no ranger to track his course.

"I checked the bag it was carrying," Lindon muttered as they moved. They had all been silent for a while and the words seemed unnaturally loud in the tunnelling dark. "There were humans remains mixed with the fish and rancid fruit."

"Bastards..." Darius hissed.

"The feed was soaked in something. I'm no alchemist, but it wasn't anything natural."

A raised hand from Garrick brought them to a halt. Ahead of them the tunnel was lit, allowing the halfling to extinguish his own torch. As they adjusted to the light they saw a door unlike any other they had encountered so far. It was double, set into an archway, and built of solid metal. Above it hung a lamp which drove the light downwards and left everything but the door itself in shadow. It was a strange illumination, drawing attention to this door, as if to remind the denizens of this dungeon that it was special... a gateway to an inner sanctum.

No sound, smell or light came from beyond it. But where the dirt gave way to stone steps they could see the Ogre's footprints.

"So this is where our friend came from..." whispered Darius.

With an exchange of nods, Darius and Garrick moved foward while the others stood guard. The paladin had his lantern lit, directing it wherever the Halfling wished. The steps around the door seemed normal, and there were no compartments in the walls or floor. But when Garrick directed Darius to move the lantern upwards and pierce the shadows above the door-lamp, they saw what was there. In the ceiling were two round holes, each about a foot in diameter, covered by a thin membrane or hide that had been made to look like stone. If Darius hadn't held the lantern so close they would not have seen it.

As Darius kept watch on these holes, Garrick investigated the double doors. There was a simple drop-latch on each one. The door itself was iron and felt normal to the touch. But when Garrick took the lantern from Darius and held it close to the hinges, he could see that the axle of the door had ridges in it. It was like a cog, threaded through the hinges on either door.

"Best take no chances, eh?" Garrick used his grappling hook to snag one of the drop-latches, then let the rope out, giving them plenty of slack. The two of them withdrew and with Darius and Mallow holding the rope they tugged and twisted until the latch disengaged.

Nothing.

Garrick gave a hand signal and then the Dwarf and Paladin pulled the rope. The door drifted open with a well-oiled quietness.

And on cue, the two holes in the ceiling slid open.

A pair of shadows dropped past the lamp and into the light, looking for all the world like falling stalactites. But then, like black pools, they erupted and unfurled leathery wings. The sound of horrid flapping filled the tunnel and amid the darkness a dozen red and glinting eyes opened up. It was a pair of Darkmantles, one from each hole, and they were clearly ravenous.

Darius dropped the other end of the rope and took up his shield. Placing himself in front of Garrick, he kept his shield raised and his body turned sideways. "Watch yourselves!" He was in total defense, waiting for the others to make their moves. The Darkmantles were twenty feet away and ten feet off the ground.

[size=+1]Once again my trap-spotting skills fall just a bit short.

Really gonna need to work on that, should we survive this.

Two… somethings drop from the ceiling, vast leathery creatures with dozens of red eyes. Nothing friendly, I would wager, and I don't wait to find out.
"Watch yourselves!" Darius calls, but I'm already backing up and taking aim with my crossbow.

My first bolt hurtles at the target, but the creature performs some bizarre aerial twisting motion, sending the bolt hurtling past it. I curse and prepare to reload.

Could really work on my goddamn aim if I make it through this, too. Or get a nicer crossbow.[/size]

Lindon looked up at the twin things, a shiver running up his spine. Yet again, some creature that should not be - first sharks, and now there are abominations. At first, his mind identified the two things as cloakers, and he hurried to cover his ears against a sound-based assault. At closer look, however, they were something different. He hoped they wouldn't be tougher than the ogre.

"Let's even the score by sending something flying up there, shall we?" With that, Lindon began to make the smooth motions of somatic casting, bringing up another denizen of the lower planes: "Spy of the Nine, I call upon you to rise upon the winds of damnation to me." The shimmering of the rift in existence already beginning to apepar, Lindon smiles... he was getting better at this. [Lindon casts Summon Monster I to call forth an Fiendish Raven.]

Mallow's axe sailed through the air, guided by the light of the door lamp, and cleaved through the leathery body of the righthand Darkmantle. It whirled madly and blood sprayed the wall, painting black with black. The creature spiralled and Jace took a swing at it with his longsword, but to no avail. The Darkmantle was clinging to life but no less deadly. As it pulled towards the ceiling again, it began to emanate thick and noxious darkness, like ink bleeding out from its many eyes. Jace swung at it again but was out of range. A second passed and the tunnel was plunged into total blackness. Even the lanterns and the door lamp could not pierce this fog of night.

The second Darkmantle took the opportunity. It swooped towards Darius and tried to slam him with a sharp contraction of its wings. But again the Paladin's shield saved him. Unable to get a grip, the Darkmantle pulled back under the cover of darkness. Darius took a wild swing in its direction, but to no avail.

"Shit!" he yelled. They were blind now, trapped in the dark with the flapping of wings and the stench of abomination.

[size=+1]We're trapped without light now, the smell of those god-awful monsters floating about as we all desperately try to catch sight of our assailants through the haze.
"Bastard things bleed darkness, so they do!" I yell, trying to keep the fear out of my voice as I do. My crossbow is reloaded and raised, my eyes scanning the dark for movement.

Suddenly something black and flapping leers out of the gloom and I don't hesitate to send a shot flying it's way. The screech that echoes out of the dark tells me that despite all the fog my bolt flew true.
"Keep your eyes peeled, friends! Don't let them get the drop on us!"[/size]

My axe was the only weapon I had. I threw it hoping to demolish the foul creature, however, I had failed in doing so. Now I needed to pic it back up as quickly as possible. I looked around as the world grew darker and darker. I could barely see in front of my face, but luckily I had seen where my axe landed. I rushed over to it and picked it up, readying myself for an imminent attack.

Jace had missed as well. But amongst the din came a different form of fluttering, from feathered wings, and a pair of eyes blazed infernal red. Lindon's Fiendish Raven had joined the fight. With a ferocious squawk it flew at the stronger Darkmantle above Darius, raking with its claws, but could not find purchase on the abomination's tentacles. Lindon tried to give assitance from below, firing his crossbow at the beast, but struck only the tunnel ceiling. He was powerless to stop his summon being slammed into the wall and ripped apart by the Darkmantle.

The second creature, still heavily wounded, swooped at Mallow as he ran to grab his axe. The Dwarf turned too late and the creature swept him up, slamming him heavily against the wall. There was a crunch of stone and metal, the grating of bone and tearing of flesh. Mallow dropped as the Darkmantle pulled away, bruised and bloodied [7 damage]. He was lucky the creature was too weak to constrict him, and a wild swing from Darius made it back off further.

I yelled in pain as the beast thrashed me against the jagged walls. Had I not just found this sturdy armor, my life would have probably been lost in this moment. Such a realization can change a person, cause them to do drastic things. As it turned out, that was the situation I found myself in.

With my axe reclaimed, the beast who just slammed me made for an easy target. Fire lit up in my eyes, a dwarven anger rose in my gut, and my muscles, bloodied as they were, bulged with tension. Darius had swung, causing the beast to move away slightly, saving my life form a certain strangled death and giving me a grand opening to attack. I'd been a fool had I not taken it.

Every ounce of adrenaline pumping through my body forced itself into my arms and legs as I charged forward in a bloody torrent. This beast had seen the end of it's days and my axe would be the last thing on it's mind. I reared back, readying my swing, then unleashed true dwarven strength upon the beast. The cold, dwarven crafted blade hit the beast so hard that it exploded in a mist of blood and gore. Black entrails lined my face as my blue eyes seemed to pierce through this shroud of darkness, I looked towards the direction of the other darkmantel, where I heard it attack the raven.

The next moments passed in frantic swings and grunts as the remaining Darkmantle flew above their strikes. A bolt from Garrick went wide, while a clumsy swing from Jace sent him bumping into Lindon. It was a lucky occurrence, for the Darkmantle had been moments from swooping at Lindon. As it lashed at the cleric, Darius took his chance, swinging his shield first to drive the abomination back against the wall. It hit the stone and tried to compensate, but the paladin's hammer had already found its mark. Darius's weapon smashed into its eyes and head-section, crushing the onyx flesh, and with a final slithering squelch it dropped to the floor. He pinned it with the boot of his plate armour and finished it off, each smash dissipating the magical darkness that surrounded them.

The deed was done.

[120XP each]

Mallow was hurt - the bruises said that much, even if the Dwarf remained stoic. As Jace and Darius checked on him, Garrick made sure the door was safe. A second inspection showed that it was on iron runners - that it was only pushing or pulling that activated the Darkmantle traps. By sliding each door he kept the mechanism disengaged and opened a space for them to slip through.

They kept moving.

Now in a larger, higher-ceilinged passageway, echoes came at them from a dozen offshoot tunnels. They could hear splashes and goblin chatter. It was clearly a main thoroughfare for this level of the dungeon. Through twisting holes to left and right they glimpsed other feeding rooms, where goblin posses cared for all manner of overgrown sea creatures. The party would take cover, now and then, as Ogres lumbered by with sacks of foul-smelling feed. Some of the chambers even flared and crackled with electric discharges. Sea serpents, like the one which had savaged the expedition, were being mass produced.

And though each glimpse intrigued them, it was the sight at the end of the thoroughfare that made their hearts beat faster.

Sunlight.

Darius began to stride a little faster, elation in his step. At the tunnel's end was a chamber flooded in the light of early morning. It came in a column from above and as they reached the archway they saw a mine shaft, reinforced with timber, giving access to the island's surface. An elevator was resting on the chamber floor, with four sturdy ropes stretching up the shaft, plus a smaller cord for signalling the operator above.

But it was not empty.

Stood upon the elevator was a creature almost as big as the Ogres, but moving with nimble intelligence. It was checking through bags of feed which had been lowered from above, and on its other arm was a finely varnished shield. A morningstar was strapped to its belt and its armour hung with cruel spikes and chains. The Bugbear looked tough, and mean, and in charge.

Satisfied with the contents of the bags, it passed one to a smaller creature with equally well-made armour and paler skin than anything seen thus far. This one too moved with a sense of power and determined intellect, carefully sorting the bags into distinct piles and barking orders. Strapped to its back was a longsword and it wore a helm conditioned with the marks of battle. This one was a Hobgoblin, and no doubt the second of the 'Masters' of this dungeon level.

A pack of Kobold were ferrying the bags under orders from the Hobgoblin. They counted four of them, bickering as they dragged the sacks to a gantry that ringed one half of the chamber, including the side where the party had entered. Here they were given orders by another slave master - an Orc, lazing against his javelin, who directed them to a side-tunnel that serviced the feeding rooms.

And lastly, in the far corner, sleeping beneath the gantry, was one of the hunting dogs used by the patrols. Luckily it was deep in slumber, else it would have picked up their scent the moment they arrived.

attachment.php

Finale.jpg

The sunlight from the elevator shaft soaked the Bugbear overlord... bright, warm... and temptingly close...

The room ahead was full of peril. In my current condition, there was no way I would survive, I felt weak because of my wounds, drained of stamina and hardly wanting to move.

"I'd gladly introduce them to me axe, but I'm afraid that in this condition, I don't stand a chance. Is there anything ye can do to patch me up?"
I asked the group as a whole. I really did not want to rush into that room in this bloody state.

"And might we wait for that elevator to rise before trying our hand at smashing these evil foes? The bugbear doesn't look like a weakling..."

Jace had sheathed his sword, even despite the current obstacles that now faced him, he had no real intention of drawing it. I can't anything with that piece of metal, not even a weapon. Heironeous forgive me.. Instead he focused his efforts on his spells, stepping by mallow and moving his cloak as a shield towards the room of enemies. With a firm grasp, Jace began uttering his incantion: "Replace that which was whole, repair that which is broken, honor that which is brave, combat that which is dark." The skin and wounds of mallows injuries began to heal as muscle restitched it's fibers and skin stretched over the fresh tendrils, the soft glow kept hidden by the cloak. [Heal Minor Injury for 6 hp to Mallow].

Task completed, Jace stood against the left wall, waiting for the others incase they were in need of attention, hand still subverted from the hilt of his sword.

[size=+1]We've come pretty far for a rag-tag team of soldiers, mercenaries and criminals. I joined this expedition fully expecting to be at the bottom of the pecking order and yet my past doesn't really seem to be of much concern to any of my companions, at least for the now.

And here we are, almost at the end of this bastard dungeon.

Sadly we're in for a hell of a time leaving.

I count eight enemies in all, easily the toughest looking things we've encountered yet. From the Bugbear calling the shots to the Hobgoblin task master, this is not going to be an easy challenge.

"And might we wait for that elevator to rise before trying our hand at smashing these evil foes?" Mallow suggests as Jace fixes him up, "the bugbear doesn't look like a weakling..." Staring at the huge beast before us I can't help but agree with my companion's estimation of it's abilities; it's a fucking vicious-looking thing.
"That it most certainly does not, dear Mallow, but I fear waiting might not be in our best interests. We're lucky that dog hasn't woken up yet; if it does and the elevator's still here, we lose the element of surprise and still have to take the bugbear."

Unslinging my crossbow and making sure the javelin is secured on my back, I load my weapon. "Sadly, friends, I fear we only have a small window of opportunity for this little escapade. Best we take it. I can move along the walkway and take out that Orc. Stop him from hurling that chuny-looking javelin at any of you."

'Famous last words', I can't help but think to myself.

Best not to share that cheery thought with my new cohorts.[/size]

"Good," Lindon muttered his agreement as he scratched beneath his skull helm with the tip of his crossbow. "The Kobold will not fight without their masters. If you take down the Orc, I can break the Hobgoblin's spirit. And if fortune smiles, both the Kobold and dog will be too panicked to fight."

He flexed his other hand, contemplating the spell of dread he was to unleash. "That just leaves the big one. Mallow, Darius - reckon you can take him?"

Darius was staring at the sunlight from the shaft. He almost didn't hear the Cleric. Blinking, he refocussed and checked the clasps of his plate armour. "Or die trying," he answered. "And Jace, whatever you can do to scare the Kobold and keep the dog at bay, make it so." He grasped his warhammer and glanced at each of his fellows. "We are almost home, my friends. Every part you have to give, give it now. Commend yourselves to heaven, and I shall commend you to the king. We become heroes this day."

His words grew bold. The paladin's blood was pumping. Just one more fight, and they would be free.

A wide grin stretched across my face. " 'course we can take'em" I said, clenching my fist around the handle of my axe. "we shall wait for yer move, rogue." I got ready and focused, staring into the vermin ridden room. The Bugbear...Darius and I shouldn't have a problem together, so long as everything goes according to plan.

"I wish ye the best of luck, friends, and may we find a hoard of treasure once we dispose of these beasts."
Despite injuries and fatigue setting in, adrenaline beat a war drum rhythm through my body as it flowed, energizing my body and spirit.

[size=+1]"Heroes, eh?" I chuckle, "I rather like the sound of that, dear Darius. Garrick Proudfoot, slayer of monsters, conqueror of dungeons. I'll be even more famous than my fifth-cousin Kit, who once managed to win three pie-eating contests in rapid succession."

Carefully, I lower my backpack onto the ground; less weight means less sound, after all. I'm left with only my weapons, which I check are secured before beginning to move along the walkway as quietly as I can.

For a minute it goes pretty well; I'm keeping the noise down and am almost in throwing range of the Orc. Then my foot lands on a board that releases an all too audible creak. The Orc doesn't notice it, but down below one of the kobolds looks up and lets out a shriek.

Little bastards and their ears.

Cursing, I surge forward with the javelin at the ready, hurling it at the unsuspecting creature that occupies the gantry with me. My aim is steady and the weapon flies true, embedding in the Orc's shoulder. It lets out a roar of pain but doesn't go down.

So much for the element of surprise.[/size]

"I'd settle for a good rowboat," Lindon answered, before edging forward in a low squat. He would need to get closer to use his fear magics. Moving beyond the cover of the doorway, as Garrick had done, the Cleric inched to the edge of the platform that overlooked the bagging area. And there he fixed eyes with the Hobgoblin. It would seem as if smoke darkness was pooling around Lindon's skull helm, and that his eyes had turned to burning coals. In the Hobgoblin's mind words were roared, a Draconic curse from deepest arcana. And yet the Hobgoblin was shrewder than his cousins, a born strategist and creature of cunning. He recognised the spell for what it was, and with a great snort shook off the illusion. The taskmaster staggered slightly and clutched his head, just as a Kobold underling shrieked at Garrick.

Darius rushed between Garrick and Lindon, his warhammer slung on his wrist as he hefted one of the acid flasks. His plan was to hurl it at the Kobold before they could scatter - take down two, mayber three of them. But as he reached the nearest stairway and made his throw, he realised he was unused to the range of movement offered by his new platemail. The shoulder plates locked, sooner than expected, and the throw went wide. The flask landed amid the pile of sacks, acid spraying out and burning the bags and body parts in every direction. The stink of the animal feed grew twice as pungent.

Darius cursed and kept his momentum, stomping down the stairs and into the bagging area where the Kobold waited.

And over in the corner, the hunting dog woke with a start, twitching its ears as it beheld its masters under attack from a rival pack. It issued a low growl and prepared to join the fight.

I followed Darius' path as he ran. It was slightly harder for me to keep up, but I managed well enough. My main focus was getting to the bugbear, but it seemed that we would have to get through these kobold workers first. As Darius reached the bags, I had to take a brief moment to ready myself before I started fighting. The run had thrown my new breastplate into an awkward position, inhibiting my swinging arm.

It took only a second to adjust before I was prepared to resist an inevitable kobold attack. I stood next to Darius, ready to defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.