Heck, Let's Be Freeform

"Yes, there were a few pine forrests and a few mountains in the distance, but I couldnt tell what direction. I was distracted by some strange birds..." replied Sato. He turned to Uggotha when he heard about setting up camp and he heartily agreed with her. "It could be dangerous in these woods at night. Beasts often lurk in the dark. If we are going to set up camp, then we should start setting up as soon as possible. And to do that, we need fire and a nightwatch. Who wants to come with me to collect some wood?" Sato asked the group with a smile.

"I'd be glad to help with collecting wood. It's not to hard for me thanks to the whole..." Uggotha snapped her finger at one of the nearby trees. It's base splintered. As it started to come down, Uggotha set herself underneath the trunk, grunting with exerction as she slowly let the mass hit the ground. "giant wizard thing." she started to flick her hands in casual motions along the trunk, cutting deep furrows in the bark. Turning to her smaller compatriots, she smiled.

"I'll need a bit of help actually cutting the wood into manageable chunks. My skills don't really lend themselves to any sort of finesse."

Yern shook the scaled one's hand with two of his own, to make up for the difference in size between them. "My name is Yern. Did you say you've read about 'my kind'?" His ears were tilted in moderate confusion again. "As far as I know there isn't any such kind as me, at least, not unless there are a lot of wizards around the world messing with tainted and forbud..furbick..uh, unallowed arts. Maybe you're mistaking me for something else? Anyway, change of body...I'm not sure I've heard of anyone who could do that to another person. I know of shapeshifters, but that's different. I've seen a dragon once before..from a distance. Aren't dragon scales protected from certain kinds of magic, too, or is that just a rumor? That would complicate things." Yern paused, his ears twitching around for a couple of seconds. "I think I heard a tree fall...but not like a natural rotting fall. Usually that kind of noise comes after someone hitting it with an axe a lot..hm. Anyway, are you saying you'd rather be a flying fire-breather, or something else entirely?" He actually flapped his arms a little bit to demonstrate 'flying'.

((If you guys want to come up with NPC monsters or the like in a little while, feel free. I just get the notion Inanity_Check is trying to head that way, at least.))

((oh, I don't care. Don't think I'm railroading you guys. I was going to keep any NPCs on your terms. Besides, no shelter has been made yet!))

Aeirs smiled as he shook his hand "Well I could be mistaken. I have read something about wolves which walk on two feet. They're called beasts, I'm sorry if I got you confused for another Yern." Aeirs closed his eyes as he talked. "Well it is true that we have quite the resistance to some magic. Such one, which is redundant for us, is fire. There are others like wind and lightning, though we are weaker to spells like Ice. Water well that's a myth, as a child I liked to swim." Aeirs felt the ground rumble below him as something had fallen. Yern began to speak again and he nodded "yes I felt the ground shake below, something large like a tree must have fallen, aside from a landing dragon I don't know anything that could cause such a rumble." As he let him continue Aeirs took off his bracelet and stored it away in storage again. He then heard him mention fire breather and puffed a small bit of fire and grumbled a little

"I do not take kindly to the word Fire Breather, Yern. To most if not all dragons it is a word of intimidation and a word of insult. It may be true we breather fire but it does rub some the wrong way. Please do re-think your choice of words next time." He leaned back again "I think you wish not to anger me, so I am just giving you a warning." Aeris then got up and took his pack, strapping it around his back "Now the answer to your question. Our tribe and race is a peaceful kind as you can see I am talking to you now. Humans once long ago came to visit us for idle chats and crafting of the epic blades of old you hear about today." Aeris held out his blade "I'm not sure if you heard of this one but it was made centuries ago for a king of this land. It is called 'Sivenith'. Named after one of my great, great ancestors"

Aeris smiled "Back to my story. Humans and Dragons slowly began to become distant from one another; they began to feel afraid of our 'stature'. It wasn't long before that seldom we had visitors of their kind. I wouldn't be surprised if humans even know what a dragon is." Aeirs chuckled a little bit "ah I'm sorry I got a little sidetracked from the question you longed to hear. I do wish to become a normal dragon, one with wings and that with a body larger than four put side to side. I have longed to fly the beautiful skies you see, not to terrorize or shock others with fear, but to see the land from the perspective I never could." He smiled at Yern "does that answer satisfy your question? If so it is late, if you've nowhere to stay we could set up a small camp, what do you say my friend?"

"I can definitely lend a hand with finess." said Sato cheerfully. He drew his grandfather's sword and concentrated. He moved with blinding speed, cutting the tree into small logs like a knife through warm butter. Sato piled a few of the logs in the circle, shaped kind of like a tipi. He turned to Uggotha and smiled. "I can do a few tricks too! Watch..." said Sato excitedly. He slammed his hands together and then drew them apart quickly. A small ball of fire satnbetween his hands. He lowered it down into the pile of logs and they caught aflame almost instantly. "That is a forbidden technique. We are not supposed to manipulate the elements in such a way.", Sato informed the group. "It is only known to a select few and my father is on of them. Anyway! We need to hunt for something to eat tonight. Those guns are going to be too loud. I need someone who can move silently and keep up with me."

Alexis, Madison, and Melissa stood back, allowing the giant girl and the magical swordsman to show off. They themselves were pretty much useless - even the strongest psionic couldn't keep pace with what those two were doing without collapsing from exhaustion.

"Finished cutting down the forest?" asked Madison.

"You two can go off hunting, if you like," Alexis said. "The girls and I have enough food between us to last about a week or so."

"And I'll keep watch," Melissa said. "I know a discipline where I can still get a full night's sleep without actually going to sleep. Nothing gets past me. I won't let it. But if this is our world, then we're far enough south that even tigers and wolves shy away from the scent of humans. They associate our scents with guns, traps, and poison. If any do come near, they'll probably just be stalking some other animal. There have been no reports of attacks on humans for the last 5 years, so it's unlikely they'll come right out and attack. About the only thing we'd have to worry about would be coyotes, but they'd be more interested in our food and trash, and you can scare them off just by throwing things at them."

Uggotha panted from her recent exertion, beads of sweat dripping from her brow. She smiled weakly as she spoke. "oh, come on. It wasn't the forest, it was just a few trees. I don't need anything to eat right now anyway. My headache's gone, and I'll need a bit of rest anyway to go though my spellbook; if I don't I'll be essentially useless in a fight. I have barely enough power left to use my 'toe-crusher' spell." she shrugged, "I'm not one for physical confrontation, and I pretty much tapped out what little strengh I had left in that little spectacle." Uggotha sat down on one of the heavy logs near Sato's fire as she cracked over her heavy book. "I'm not stealthy in any sense, so feel free to hunt without me Sato- as for you three, I'd feel perfectly fine under the protection of those impressive guns of yours."

"Well sure! I don't even need a tent, really. I'm used to sleeping in just about everything but snow..and we aren't quite that far north, or high up, or into the cold season. My sword doesn't have a story, at least not that I know of..it was a gift, so I try to take good care of it. And, I didn't mean that in anything but, you know, description. Like if you said I had wolf ears it would just help someone else tell me from other people. Anyway, what should I..." Yern trailed off briefly, a look of slight consternation across his face, at the distant howl of of some canines..wolves, or perhaps coyotes.

He was back to his usual, peaceful smile in a matter of seconds, as if nothing had happened. A perceptive eye, however, would see his ears twitching a little more frequently than usual. "That is, how could I help you with setting up camp, you think?"

((I didn't mean you were pushing for it, I just meant you seemed to have mentioned it. The comment also arose partially out of my habit of making fight scenes against disposable NPCs happen in my RPs. That is to say, I was going to suggest it eventually anyway. Also I used the words 'in a while' to mean...in a while. When it makes the most narrative sense and all that.))

Sato sat down to take his sandals and shirt off. He rolled his hakama pants up to his mid thighs and strapped his sword tight to his waist with the cloth belt. He flexed his dislocated shoulder. "Hmm! Feels alright enough. I've had worse, I guess. Now, i'll be off. Dont touch any of my things while I'm gone, or else you'll get sick. It's more superstition than anything else, but tonight wouldnt be the night to prove me wrong. Big day tomorrow, after all and we cant travel if one of us is sick." Sato said cheerfully. With a wave, he was off. He bounded through the woods in search of tracks at a deer's pace. He halted for a while to study a set of prints in the soft earth. Hooves, most likely a deer. He followed these tracks for a while and came across a clearing.

In the clearing lay a herd of sleeping deer. 'This couldn't get any easier!' Sato thought to himself. He squatted down and observed the sleeping herd as a lioness watches it's prey. He picked out a suitable deer and drew his sword. He leapt at the deer and plunged the sword down through it's neck. The deer shrieked and the herd dispersed in panic. Sato twisted the sword, parting the vertibre and killing his prey. He dragged the deer back to camp, as easily as if he wasnt carrying anything at all. He returned and plonked the deer down by the fire and looked over at the others. "Who's hungry?"

Alexis, Madison, and Melissa just stared at Sato with stunned looks on thier faces.

"You know, if someone hadn't been doing blasting in the forest earlier, we could have nailed that elk with our noisy guns," Melissa stated.

"What are you?" asked Madison. "I've never known anyone - not even an elf - who could take out mule deer with just a sword. And have such a successful kill so quickly! You cannot be an elf, but I find it hard to believe you're even human."

"No, I am not an elf, but i have fought one. I am definitely human the last time i checked. I guess now you know why people call me the Monster of the East. Some say, that with the ammount of injuries I have sustained, I shouldnt be alive." said Sato, with an air of memories gone past. He lifted his head to reveal a scar that ran right across his throat, and ran deep. "That scar was the one I was given by the elf... But I lived." Sato began gutting and skinning the beast. The sun had set behind the forrest and out of sight and the night had closed in. "Who wants the heart?" offered Sato. "The heart of a kill is said to give strength and the clarity of restraint in my land. Not that we eat the heart of our battle opponents or anything like that." said Sato with a small chuckle.

"Sure you don't eat your enemies hearts." Uggotha said to Sato, a bemused look crossed her face. She then turned to Melissa. "Hey, it isn't my fault someone attempted to use me as target practice before me all met up. I'm just happy to have something to eat." with a grunt, she tore off one of the legs of the deer with a bit of exerction.

Sitting around the fire with the rest of the group, she opened her tome, making a few arcane gestures as she scanned it's contents. She turned to Sato. "You know, I do agree with the others; whatever you are, you're definitely not human. You can take far too much punishment." Uggotha then turned to the trio. "I'm still confused by this elf business. I'm not a sheltered woman; I've seen my fair share of the world, drank a lot of alchohol, studied countless books, and ravished any hapless farm boys I could get my hands on. Also, humans not being able to use magic is absurd; my father is a mage."

Sato could not for the life of him undarstand why no one thought he was human. "I love to fight, I guess. With every opponent that I face, I get a little better and learn a little more. I think that the reason I am not dead yet is that the universe has not yet decided that is my time to go.", sighed Sato as he ripped open the beast's rib cage. He plucked out the heart. The others looked like they were about to be sick when Sato squeezed the blood from the heart down his throat and took a chunk between his teeth. "I'm shure your cushtomsh are ash shtrange to me ash mine are to you." Sato swallowed the chunk and prepared to take another bite. "What?" he said. Personally, he could see nothing wrong with what he was doing.

Everyone made a face as Sato and Uggotha started eating the deer meat raw. It was worse than barbaric - it was feral. "Haven't you guys heard of cooking, or is this the first meal you've had in days and you don't have the patience?" asked Melissa. After another few minutes, and listening to Uggotha, Alexis and Madison, at least, got over some of thier disgust, and tried to continue the conversation.

"If this is our world, you'll see elves soon enough," Alexis said.

Madison removed her diadem and held it up, allowing Uggotha to see that it was made of a thin silver chain with tiny diamonds inlaid among the links. "This is elven craftsmenship," she said. "No human craftsman could do something this delicate and intricate.

"As for humans not being able to use magic - well, it's complicated. The facts are this: elves can use magic, and humans can't. Our scriptures explain this by saying the Sun gave elves the authority to use magic, and the Goddess of Wisdom granted humans psionic powers. They also say that when humans attempted to use magic, the would-be sorcerors and sorceresses were struck down by the gods, and the Goddess of Wisdom issued a decree that no human should dare dabble in magic. But then again, our legends tell of many human sorceresses and sorcerors fighting the forces of evil alongside elven mages in the names of the gods. Yet from the historical evidence we've seen, there's nothing to suggest the historical use of magic among humans, and many of the legends were written after our scriptures were first written. And yet, some elves say humans did use magic up until at least a thousand years ago, though such magic users were extremely rare. It's all very confusing."

Suddenly Alexis straightened up. "I just thought of something," he said. "Madison, you know how there's that theory bouncing around about how different species might have evolved simultaneously in different locations and look the same, but in reality be different?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Well, suppose it's the same inbetween worlds. Suppose in Uggotha's world, humans have magical powers and can range in hieght from 4' dwarfs to 8' giants; and in Sato's world, all humans also have magical powers, are all nigh well indestructable, with super strength, super speed, and super resiliance." Alexis turned to the others. "Watch. Can you do this?" He took his own pocket knife, and slashed his hand. Blood oozed out. For any ordinary human, the wound - though not serious - would have taken at least 4 minutes to stop bleeding. In 3 minutes, the wound had not only stopped bleeding, but disappeared without a scar. "Unless they possess healing magic, not even elves can get over a cut like that as fast as I, or any average human from my world can," Alexis explained.

Sato looked on as Alexis' wound closed up. "Hmm... interesting... But, no. I cannot do such a thing. If I could, I wouldnt have all these scars and I would be able to get a decent wife! Haha! But, on serious note, not everyone can avoid death as well as I in my homeland. Noone except my father and I have had such a nack for snatching life from the cold grip of death." said Sato as he wiped his mouth and swallowed the last piece of the deer's heart. He spat a section of gristle into the fire and began to butcher the rest of the deer, dividing it up into cookable pieces. "This crossing over of worlds is very quite confusing. All I know is that I'm not dead yet. We should continue travelling tomorrow as a group. See if we can find ourselves a town." he said confidently. "I need a new pair of sandals."

Sato looked around the clearing, looking beyond the treeline. He could see a pin-head of light through the trees. Another campfire. There were other travellers out here in the woods. For thier sake, Sato hoped that they were friendly. They might even meet them in thier travels somewhere along the line.

(( hint hint ;) ))

"Why would I eat this raw?" Uggthoa said as she held the deer leg over the fire. "I'm not a savage, I'm part giantess, and we are civilized." As Uggotha watched the meat cook, a slow sizzle emanate from the flesh, she observed the diadem that Madison held up for her to see. "Well, that's nice, but I'm not a big fan of fancy, delicate things. I think craftsmanship is more about making things last then be pretty, like my spell book." Uggthoa lifted the heavy tome a bit. "Most wizards I know have these delicate beautiful tomes- which is a terrible idea if you are ever in a scap. I'd rather have something that won't tear, and can be used as a bludgeoning device if push comes to shove." Uggotha rose her eyelids when Alexis showed her his little healing trick. "Now that is a trick. Humans in our world can't do that at all. Though it is a bit irritating that you keep on trying to reiterate that only humans live in my world. I'm half-human, and that's why I'm short. Most giants range about 14-17 feet tall. Their "hand-cannons" are about as big as you are; their blades are as long as I am. My father was a human, my mother a giant. The races are built differently. Giant skin is thicker then leather armour, and their bones are heavy. Also, like I said before, they don't have holes in their rib cages. I'm just irritated that I took after my father mostly, with soft supple flesh and a short stature."Uggthoa finally turned to Sato. "it would be a good idea to travel as a group until we get out bearings."

"That isn't a trick," Madison began, refering to Alexis' cut. "That's as natural to us as sweating on a hot day - Wait, are you saying giants are literally real on your world and a whole seperate species from humans?" Alexis and Melissa turned at stared at her. "I thought - but - how can you be half giant then, if giants and humans are two seperate species? Is it like horses and donkeys? Or like giant mastiffs and lap-dogs?" Madison's voice dropped as she began muttering about obscure scientific terms about evolution, natural selection, and heredity.

"She often rambles about these wierd scientific theories," Alexis said. "A lot of it's all the rage these days because of so much scientific progress the last few decades. Don't pay much attention to her."

Uggotha laughed at Alexis' explanation of Madison's current sputtering explanation. "Oh, get off it. I know it dosen't make sense, but my father was a wizard, and wizards can do anyt- " Uggthota's eyes widened, and she looked slightly sick. Ahorrible mental had materialized within her mind. "Uh, well... let's drop the subject." quickly latching to what Alexis said about science, Uggthoa decided to steer the conversation to something other then the carnal relationship of her parents.

"Scientific progress? That's a good thing. I can already see that your gun is of far higher quality of what I've seen before. I think you'd get along well with the Dwarves of my world. Also, what about these 'psionic abilities' you are talking about? Is that some form of bastardized magic?"

Sato sat with his eyes fixed on the small dot of light in the distance. He heard the group chatting away about scientific progress and whatnot. He listened to the group, all the while keeping an ear out for predators. He heard Uggotha quickly change the subject matter of thier conversation. Sato smiled. He knew exactly why Uggotha had steered away from the current subject of human-giant procreation. As he sat and listened to the group, he heard something about psionics. "I believe that this psionics of which you speak is a form of combat conducted within the mind and then forced outwards. I have no knowledge of this strange technique. My people channel the energy from the universe to create blasts of power, such as my Busho Sho-Ken technique that I happened to demonstrate earlier. It is not will of the mind, but the channeling of energy."

Sato continued to stare at the pin-prick of light that shone eerily through the black of the night...