HaydenLavisky and Devilcake

"of course," Mike said as if it was no big deal at all. Because it really wasn't. He then proceeded to list and point at all the people in Emma's team. Hannes knew some of them, others he had only talked to once or twice.

After that, the game picked up from where it had left off, with the addition of the two new players. While Hannes wasn't very good and would constantly more in the way than anything he was very much involved in the action, people really didn't mind though since they weren't playing that seriously, to begin with, and players from both teams just laughed along with Hannes when he laughed at himself for messing up.

Whenever he actually did get the ball he would try to find Jayken and pass it on to him. Or in his general direction at least seeing as Hannes wasn't all that good at getting the ball the place he wanted.

Jayken was a big fan of playing soccer, though he didn't play it often. It was obvious in the way he played how into it he was, but not necessarily good. He did passes and kicked it when he could, though he couldn't get it past the goalie.

He was having...fun, though. He didn't interact much with the other players unless passing to him or thanking them when they passed the ball, but he was still having some fun.

He figured that Hannes was right. He shouldn't stay inside all day where he would grow bored and depressed. Even though it was hot, it was still better than just sitting in his appointed room.

"I'm taking a break" Hannes announced a good while into playing after another goal by the opposite team, at which Mike jokingly called him a sore loser. That really wasn't the case, though, he was just warm, tired and had just realized he had forgotten to bring the water bottle had planned on getting which just made him extra thirsty.

It was clear that Jayken had fun, and he was a part of the game with people giving him passes and him seeming to be pretty in to it, so Hannes assumed he'd be fine on his own for a while and went over to the sidelines where Emma sat in the shade of a tree, watching everyone play through the lenses of her sunglasses.

"Please tell me you have something to drink with you," Hannes said as he slumped down next to her on the ground, still somewhat catching his breath from playing.

"Of course I have, I wouldn't go outside on a sunny day without it, 'cus I'm smart, unlike you" She laughed and threw him a bottle of water without really taking her eyes off the field.

Jayken had to move away from the game when he started to overheat, moving over into some shade to try and get some breath into his lungs and cool down just a bit. He looked around at the other players, making sure none of them came near as he pulled up his sleeves to cool down a bit more.

His pale arms were covered in paler scars, some of which were recent, others seeming years old. They were littered across his arms, though the biggest ones were on his wrists, where his attempts at ending himself had failed.

He made sure no-one came near him whenever he pulled his sleeves, because then they would ask, and he hated explaining. Not that he really would, but there were times where people forced him to talk about it and he only had to give in.

"I so regret not going swimming" Emma complained as Hannes gave her back her water bottle and watched as the other people continued to play, after a while, he saw Jayken go of the field into the shade as well. If Hannes had been warm it was probably nothing compared to his new friend who was not at all dressed for the weather.

"Jay! Come sit with us!" Hannes shouted temporarily ignoring Emma and giving him big smile and waved with both his arms to grab the others attention and signal for him to come over. He let his voice go back to normal volume, but didn't take his gaze of Jayken, as he addressed Emma again, "Yeah I feel you, but I don't wanna get bored of it withing the first week"

Jayken jumped when he heard someone shout his name, looking towards where Hannes was and offering a shy smile before he nodded. He pulled his sleeves down again before moving over to where the older male sat with the girl he learned was Emma. He took a seat and let out a breath, feeling the sweat on his body.

He got used to hot weather, but he was burning as of right now since he had the long sleeve shirt and he had been running around. "Man, it's hot. I hope it's not like this all summer." He murmured, running his fingers through his damp hair.

"I think today is hotter than usual," Hannes said, "but, honestly, it is going to be about this warm most days, so you better get used to it"

He hoped Jayken would get that he probably would have to switch over to switch over to dressing more suitable for the warmth if he didn't want to get a heat stroke or something, but he didn't actually say anything about it because it really wasn't his job to tell him to dress based on the weather.

"speaking of hot" Emma said, pulling her shades down and looking over the edge, Hannes let his gaze follow hers only to stop at Mike who was pulling his shirt off while running and throwing it to the side. He rolled his eyes and chuckled, at both the boy's action and the girl's reaction.

"Looking good Michael!" he shouted and Mike flipped him off from his side of the field. It wasn't a lie, but he was mostly poking fun at him.

"God, he's so embarrassing" Emma complained, she was referring to the fact that they both knew that half the reason the guy had taken off his shirt to show off and Hannes assumed it was probably pretty obvious to Jayken as well, even though he didn't know the guy, "he's lucky he's pretty to look at"

Hannes just chuckled and hummed in agreement, it wasn't anything malicious in what the girl was saying, and Hannes knew she would have called him embarrassing to his face, that was just what their friendship seemed to be like.

"But yeah, I think they try to avoid any huge activities during the hottest days on purpose, so people can go swimming instead of actually dying from the heat" Hannes turned to Jayken and explained as if they hadn't just interrupted themselves to check out their friend, "Like last year the hottest day turned out to be the day we went hiking, which was not planned because it was the worst"

Jayken nodded, glad now that he had brought his ace bandages that he could wear on his arms instead of having to show off his scars, which he really didn't want anyone to know about. But wearing long sleeves and then wearing the ace bandages were definitely going to give him away. He already knew that.

When the girl named Emma gestured back to Mike, he glanced over only to see the bare chest of the male, gleaming with sweat. His eyes widened quickly, a blush appearing on his cheeks as he didn't know what he was supposed to do. He knew he was staring, but...but what? Gah! Now he couldn't even think straight just because one guy took his shirt off.

With a quick shake of his head, he hid his face and turned away, covering his mouth with his hand. This was another reason he didn't want to go outside again. His parents would surely find out if someone caught him being too friendly towards a guy. With that in mind, he offered a small goodbye before he walked back to his cabin.

Once there, he went into the bathroom and splashed his face with cold water, snapping back to reality. He looked at himself in the mirror, letting out a shuddered breath as the image of a shirtless Mike popped into his head again. He looked down at his hands braced on the sink, wondering what the hell was wrong with him.

"Why...Why do I have to be gay? Why can't I just be straight? Maybe then my parents would love me." He muttered, though felt the familiarity of tears starting to well in his eyes. He shouldn't have gone outside. He blamed himself. Damn, he hated depression.

Hannes couldn't help but to feel disappointed when Jayken stood up and left. To the point where he started to stand up to go after him until Emma stopped him but telling him to leave it be.

"He said goodbye, Hannes" here tone was on the more serious side for a change, "he probably doesn't want you to follow him around"

He sat back down, because it was probably true. He didn't know why Jayken had left all of a sudden, and maybe he could ask later, but for now it was probably none of his business and he'd probably just be annoyed if he followed him.

Hannes could feel his hands start picking at the grass beneath him, no longer able to pick and scratch at the wounds on his arms that had been healed quite a while by now, but still needing to keep occupied out of habit. He hated remembering how annoying he was. And if Emma hadn't stopped him he would have gone after Jayken and he would have realized that and then he probably wouldn't want to speak to him again.

"It's lunch soon, we can always invite him over to sit with us if you're worried about him or something," Emma said, seemingly realizing the change in Hannes mood, although a little confused as to why probably. It wasn't like Hannes would tell people he felt like that.

He simply nodded as an answer and they sat quietly for a couple of minutes, watching and pretending to watch the still ongoing game of soccer until they started talking normally again. After a while, the people on the field seemed to get tired of running around in the heat and Mike and two other people Hannes had yet to get to know joined them in the shade until it was time to go to the cafeteria for lunch.

Jayken stayed in the bathroom for quite some time, biting onto his lower lip to stop himself from grabbing anything harmful. It was only his first week here, he couldn't make a scene. He slowly left the bathroom once he was ready and went to his room, closing the door behind him before he walked over to his bed and lay down, pulling the covers over him. If he slept, he wouldn't be able to hurt himself or others, so that's what he did.

Lunch had long since arrived and passed, yet Jayken stayed in his room yet again. He had woken up once or twice from his afternoon nap, but usually remained asleep until about five. By then, most of the kids were back in the cabin making noise. He let out a slow breath, getting up and grabbing a sweater before he headed outside towards the lake. He sat down at the end of a pier, looking out at the water.

He didn't see Jayken at lunch and it was kind of distracting trying to look for him. They ate and had fun but it still bothered Hannes that he wasn't there at all, because it indicated that he probably hadn't even bothered to go eat anything.

Hannes didn't see him after lunch either, but it slipped out of his mind for a while as he found a couple of people playing cards in the shade and decided to join in for a while. And a while turned into playing random card games with strangers turned friends until the afternoon.

He didn't even think of stopping until he saw Jayken pass by in the corner of his eye. He contemplated leaving him alone for a moment before deciding that, nope he was going to hang out with Jayken now. He wrapped up the game, excused himself and followed Jayken down to the pier he had chosen to sit down at.

"Hey," Hannes said carefully to make his presence clear, "may I sit?"

Last edited:
Jayken stayed there for a while, hearing some kids still hanging out around the camp, but enjoying where he was now, alone. It was more quiet than other areas, and actually closed his eyes for a moment to calm down and take some breaths.

When he heard a voice, his eyes opened and he looked up to see Hannes. Hearing the other male ask to sit, he shrugged, gesturing to the pier. "I don't own it. Go ahead." He said before looking back at the lake, seeming much calmer and less shy than when he left his cabin earlier that day.

Hannes smiled and sat down next to Jayken, letting his feet hang over the edge of the pier letting his feet get submerged in the cool water. He hadn't had his shoes on since after lunch, there was something with walking around barefoot in the soft grass all day that was really nice. He sat in silence for a while, just enjoying not talking for a while after just having spent hours doing it. Then he remembered that he was there because Jayken was there.

"I didn't see you at lunch" He said and looked over to Jayken who was gazing out over the calm lake. It wasn't an actual question but the statement still asked where he had been, while also implying that Hannes had been looking for him.

Jayken glanced over at Hannes upon hearing that the older had not seen him at lunch. That meant...he was looking for him? Why? He let out a soft hum as he thought of a response, looking down at the water near his feet. He couldn't exactly think of a response other than asking 'why', because he really was curious as to why the male had been looking for him.

"I...don't really know what to say...after soccer I went back to my room. Stayed there and took a nap till I came out here." He murmured, starting to kick his feet in the water with a soft sigh leaving his lips. "I'm sorry for leaving so suddenly. It was just...I didn't want to somehow get in trouble."

Hannes wasn't at all surprised Jayken had gone back to his room after leaving, he wasn't really going to blame him for that. Hannes had dragged him out and the other boy really didn't seem like the social type, so maybe he had just needed to unwind.

What did surprise him, or rather confused him, was the reason Jayken actually gave for leaving. Hannes tried to think of anything Jayken had done that could have actually landed him in trouble. They had literally just been talking about the heat, it wasn't like he had confessed to murdering someone.

"Don't worry you won't get in trouble for being better at me at soccer" Hannes joked, never one to take a serious moment too seriously, before getting back to the calmer tone he had been using since walking out on the pier, "Really though, why would you get in trouble?"

Jayken let out a soft sigh, shaking his head slightly as he brought his hand to the back of his neck to rub the skin there. "Well...truth is, I'm gay. My parents sent me here to get out of the house, hopefully get a girlfriend since...they're really homophobic. They warned me that if they caught me getting too friendly with a guy here, then they'd send me to a Christian conversion camp. Which is where they try to 'treat the gayness'." He murmured softly, letting out a soft breath.

"Today, I saw Mike take his shirt off. And I've never seen another naked chest before, so that was a bit surprising. But then it scared me. I left to my room before I could do anything else foolish. After clearing my head in the bathroom, I went to my room and just slept." He said and looked over at Hannes, frowning.

Hannes blinked for a second, trying to process everything that Jayken had said.

Hannes parents had always been very accepting of who he was, the school's he'd gone o and the students had all been very open minded, so hearing about someone being in the complete opposite situation was something he tended to find quite jarring. It also made him realize how lucky he really was.

To walk around and constantly have to suppress who you really are unless you wanted to be sent off to a place where others make you suppress who you really are sounded horrible. And Hannes wanted to make sure he knew Jayken wasn't at risk of having his parents find out he didn't try to push his feelings away while he was here at least. So before he responded he put a hand on Jaykens shoulder and looked him straight into his hazel eyes.

"Nobody here is going to tell on you for looking at another guy" he wanted to make that clear, he couldn't speak on behalf of everyone there of course, but the people Hannes talked more to tended to not be homophobic for obvious reasons, "Just, stick around me and you'll be hanging out with people who don't care about that, okay?"

He let go of Jaykens shoulder and dropped the serious expression in favour of a small but slightly mischevious smile.
"Besides, no matter how pretty Mike is to look at you're not going to get 'too friendly' with him anytime soon" upon saying the words to friendly Hannes made air quotations with his fingers and gave Jayken a wink, "Believe me, I've tried, he's straight"

Hannes had never liked the concept of coming out to much, so he avoided telling people he was into guys by actually saying the phrase I'm gay as much as possible, favouring to just sneak it into conversation instead.

Jaken looked over at the older, wondering what was going through his head at the moment? Did he not like him anymore? Was he going to tell? His anxiety rose a bit at the thought, realizing he had told a total stranger that he was gay. He was calmed when Hannes put his hand on his shoulder and told him that nobody was going to tell on him. He let out a long breath, nodding slowly.

He blinked at hearing the older's last sentence, staring doe-eyed at the male. "You're...gay? I'm not one to judge a book by it's cover but...I wasn't expecting that." He muttered, chuckling nervously. He thought that Hannes was gay from how he acted, strong but friendly. He just...didn't see it, really.

"Really?" Hannes laughed "I thought i was pretty obvious"

Hannes really was pretty darn obvious once you hung around him for a while, the kids he'd been playing cards with up until following Jayken to where they sat now already knew and that was his first time meeting them. if Jayken hadn't ran off he would have definitively figured it out by himself, but Hannes had seen no point in waiting for that to happen, it was better if he knew he wasn't the only gay kid at this place.

"But really, you shouldn't worry so much," he said with a smile, it was probably easier said than done, "you might not have wanted to come here, but now that you are you might as well have some fun, right?"

He didn't add anything about how he had been forced here by his parents at one point. Somehow all his own problems, old and current, seemed so much smaller and not worth mentioning. He also felt like it was slightly self-centric to turn it around to himself again, even if it would have been to try to show Jayken that he could relate to that as well.

Jayken shook his head slightly, though hummed for a moment as he thought about it. "Well, I also barely hung out with you, so that could be it too. Haven't really had the time to see it." He said with a light shrug, offering the older a sincere but shy smile. "Thank yuo, Hannes. This has actually...really helped." He murmured as he looked out towards the lake again, intertwining his fingers in his lap, twiddling his thumbs.

"I'll try to come out more often. These people are actually pretty nice, and now I don't have so much to worry about." He said with a relieved breath, which came out as a half chuckle.