God Is On His Knees (IC/Still Accepting)

• Thread starter GoodEveningClarice
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wind whipping through her hair, the rustling of leaves as she darted through the tops of the trees. Nothing but the pale moonlight to guide her way as it flickered through the canopy. The smell of the night air as it mingled with the smell of the forest. Her scenes on overdrive, ever alert ever ready...she had come out tonight to clear her mind, yet it seemed that every time she thought she had. An image of him would pop into her head, blinding her for a moment as she lost herself in his eyes.. She didn't even notice that the branch she jumped to wouldn't hold and as she landed the branch snapped. Her soft gasp silenced by her crashing through the tree as she attempted to catch herself. Only to end with a great thud as she landed on the ground below. All she saw was him, as the darkness engulfed her. Her clothing ripped and small trails of her blood from where she had been cut and scrapped by the tree.....she would be sore when she woke up.

Her war cry ripped her from her unconscious state as she lunged foreward. Only to let another much softer crg escape her as her body from the pain of falling from a tree. Causing her to lay back down.

She lay there, a small tear rolling down the side of her face. It had been nothing but a dream yet the pain in her stomach made her rethink it. She had little time for self pity, as she gathered her thoughts. Her ears twitching at the rustle of leaves as they danced to the whim of the wind...

"How long was I out for.." She asked herself aloud.

"A few hours. At least." Came the all familiar voice of Sypher, His figure a welcome sight after her dream. Had he heard her and came to check up on her?

"How long have you been there?"
"A few hours, you ok, sounded rough there. What happened?"
"I fell..."
"Oh, and here I thought you had decided to just lay down and take a nap with branches on top of you. Of course you fell, I meant in your dream."
"Nothing"
"So since when did you begin to scream and cry in your sleep?
"Last week?"
"Ah how cute, you're trying to lie now?"
"Fine ill tell you...."
"Good."
She explained her accident in the trees, as well as her dream. Only to hear a soft chuckle from Sypher.

"Something funny?"

"Yes you. Now lets get you back." He replied as he helped her up to her feet. Her pained protest died when he hit her with a calm and serious. "Shut up.I made sure you were fine while you were out. So once again shut up."
Nothing else was said. Even when Sypher helped her on to his saddle.

"Don't tell anyone what I told you....especially not Tristan. He would be all worried for not." She pleaded, her facial expression reminding Sypher of the once little girl who pleaded so much to be taught by him that some might of thought she was harassing him.

"Oh of course I will not, you will." He replied. Maehel knew he was a secret softy, but even to this day she had only gotten her way once, and that was the day he agreed to instruct her.
"Will not." She cried out.
"All in time." Came his calm response.Oooooo
"Hmm.."
The two continued to converse as they made the treck back to the palace.
The ride, hurt but no more than the last time she had fallen from a tree or a high place.

"Think you'll be ready for the training practice in the morning?" Sypher asked as they entered the stables.
"Have to be."
"Oh, is there a reason you have to be?"
"Tristan."
"Ah, valid reason..he did invite you." He admitted as he lead his horse to the stable closest to Tristan's horse.

"Lets get you down." Sypher continued with a held out set of arms to which Maehel simply rolled into from the saddle. A soft humph whispered from Sypher as he dropped down to gradually accommodate her weight.
Maehel's feet acted as though she had just made contact with the ground for the first time in a very long time. Her knees buckling for but a moment as she attempted to stand on her own, thankfully Sypher was there and caught her. Giving her a moment to gather herself. His scent was as inviting as ever. The mix of warm spices, and a dark wood she could not pinpoint.

"Le athae." She whispered her voice was steady unlike her legs which seemed to be regrowing their bones..or when blood rushed back to a limb, that strange tingling numbness reaching from her lower back to the back of her knees.

"Glassen Merilen." He replied as she stood up. His arms still out just in case she needed him again. But it turned out to be unneeded as she seemed to either find her balance or forced her way through the pain.

"I think......" She started as she took a step from Sypher. Her independent nature urging her on. It had always made it hard for her to accept help from others. Even Sypher, who had not only was her teacher but also had always been there to rescue her when she was in over her head or assist her in anyway possible. Often found himself on the sidelines hoping she would reach out and ask for his help when they both knew she needed it. So even now he was there, waiting for her to finish her thoughts, ever ready to give her advise, he secretly cherished the moment as he did each and every time they had shared moments similar to the one they were currently experiencing.

"You think what?" He asked, his gentle tone. Part of him had a guess as to what she was going to say, but he kept it to himself. Deciding to see if he really did know her as well as he thought.

"Den Melin...or am growing too.." She returned her meek tone. It expressed her own self doubts when it came to this turn of events.

"Hmm..well I trust your intuition, you have wisdom beyond those of your age. But do you think it is wise...an Echil?" He returned, he had been right after all, but it was not a joyous feeling knowing he was right. He knew how these events could play out and She could hear the understanding in his voice that she knew came from a past self experiences that had only been discussed in hushed whispers by members of Tristan's guard and a few select nobles each of whom's stories changed as quicker and more often than the day did to night.

"Ú-iston......should I trust an Echil...what would you do?.." She asked like a child would when seeking advise from a parent.

"Hmm. Tolo ar nin." He replied as he began walking out of the stables his gentle hand resting on her shoulder as he lead her out.

"Where are we going?" She asked as the two walked out of stables upon which Sypher turned and began leading her away from the palace and back towards the woods.

"For a talk...don't worry we will not be walking long. There is a large tree near here that I think you might enjoy. Think you can make it. Or shall I carry you like when you were a but a De'lin?" When he was finished She could almost swear she felt a grin was on his face, and she wasn't wrong.

"Yaivë, I can make it.." She returned. A moment of silence as the two tried to hold back from laughing only to both burst into laughter when they looked at eachother. Both unsure why they had broken out in laughter but they welcomed it.

The two continued to joke and laugh as they walked back into the forest. Sypher could tell Maehel was putting on a front. Behind the laughter Sypher could tell she was in pain, but whether it was physical, emotional or psychological he cannot tell, yet.

The two stopped talking as they stepped into a small clearing. After walking for a few minutes. A large Hawthorn was the only tree in the clearing. It's white flowers filled the air with their invitingly sweet smell.
"The tree of our kin.." Maehel whispered as the two walked under the tree's branches that almost covered the entire clearing. "You're right again I do like it."
"Aye, good to hear. I thought it would be fitting to discuss your dilemma here." Sypher said as they reached its trunk. His hand held out to assist Maehel in sitting should she need it, but he knew she would refuse it and go it alone.
"How did you come across this place?" She asked. Obviously ignoring Sypher's out stretched hand as she pushed her back against the trunk, and slide down its length using her legs to slow her decent. Her motions showed she was aware of her injuries. Their full extent escaping Sypher's knowledge still.

"Shortly after our run in with that pe-channas echil with the hounds." He replied as he sat down next to her. Dropping his hood after he was in a comfortable position. His silver blonde hair and soft facial features, would of made most think he was a female if they didn't know him. The sight made Maehel smile, knowing full well it was rare to see him without his hood up. Even throughout the many long years she had known him. She had only seen him without his hood up a handful of times. Each time because he had to.

"What did you find after me and the others left?" She asked.
"Well I stuck around, saw the Houndsmen give that Arren a letter for Lord Maximus. After they left. I did some looking around and found a fresh shallow grave not far from where everyone had been. I didn't dig it up to find out the who's and how's, but I did put a lily down for the poor soul. Whoever or whatever it might be." He replied. His words made her ponder over the strange Houndsman..as well as return her growing disdain and mistrust of Arren.

"Hmm..well not getting caught on that hook.." She went as she began speaking. "Now as for my standing question. What would you do and what did you do when you where in this situation, if you ever went through it...?" She tried to drop subtle hints that some had gossiped about it..

"Ah yes...well I would advise you take it slow, get a feel for their feelings as well as how they will react. But one of the most important questions, is can you trust them with both yours and our secrets. As well as can you handle living without them."
He said pausing to take a breath. As well as to wonder how she knew he had gone through something similar to her current one. He had never spoken about it with her before, but that never stoped anyone from hearing tall tales from others who knew not how to keep their mouths shut even when pertaining to the affairs of others.
"As for what I did. I will admit I acted like a fool and chased after them, ignoring the warnings, ignored the signs. I opened myself up to them, giving in to every emotion, every stimulation. I told them parts of my secrets. I thought the feeling was mutual and real. Tell they showed up one night at our spot with a party of Faradrim." He added as he looked over at Maehel. He knew she could feel and see that the memory was incredibly painful. Yet his tone was serene like everytime he shared an otherwise emotional story that would leave a lesser man a blubbering mess.

"What happened to them and the Faradrim?" She asked looking over to Sypher. Hoping to catch a glimpse of his eyes, but the branch's shadow kept them hidden from both her sight and the light of the moon.

"Guruth." He replied, his calm tone dancing upon the edge of emotionlessness that was unlike him. Maehel shifted slightly, his one word was very unnerving to her, but she couldn't let him know that, or didn't want to.
"How?" She asked trying to further hide her unease at his previous comment.
"On the end of my blades." He returned all nonchalantly.
"The Faradrim or...?" She trailed off. Not sure if she wanted to know the answer.
"Both, the Faradrim and the one I thought I loved, they betrayed me. For money that they would never see." As he continued to nonchalantly explain the event a gust of wind rustled the trees branches and for almost a whole minute Maehel could see them, his mismatched eyes in all their outlandish splendor. She knew full well Sypher knew of her abnormal fixation with his eyes. Ever since she was little she would stare into them any chance she got. The first time they met, she had stared at them for almost two hours before Sypher who had known the whole time called her out. Not with words but with one of his tantalizingly charming smile and wink combos.

"What!! That traitorous bitch, how could she be so treacherous. On behalf of women everywhere. I am sorry, that must of been quite painful for you."
Her heart went out to Sypher. She now understood why he rarely spoke of the event as well as why the stories she had heard from others had been so varied. Who could ever betray anyone like that, and for money none the less. Let alone Sypher the man who dedicated himself to helping others with everything he could. His very essence was that of an endearingly welcoming wise man who would share his wisdom to anyone who sought it out. In that aspect Maehel had to admit she was a bit jealous, he could make friends quicker then she could make enemies, and boy could she make enemies quick. "Shes lucky you did her in then. Let her have escaped, I would consider it game." She added after calming down a bit..

Her reaction caused Sypher to raise a brow. It was unlike her to swear, or react in such a manner. It almost made him chuckle at how emotional she had gotten as well as how violently enraged she became in just a matter of seconds.

"Settle, and who ever said it was a woman who betrayed me? There is no need to feel sorry for what happened in the past. Remember that. As for it being rough on me. Between you and me it was rather painless. For me that is, I can't talk for them. They didn't seem to find it a pleasurable idea I guess, I mean they fought back...or at least attempted too.." He replied with a somber laugh that made Maehel nod in agreement before his words finally made sense..

"It was a man who betrayed you?!" She roared, her body trying to jump up in anger, only to stop with a wince that made her drop back on her rear. A soft curse under her breath as she rubbed her lower back..Looking over to Sypher she saw his slightly confused expression.

"No. I am sorry you had to go through that... So you killed them all? Did you ever find out who the Faradrim worked for?" She asked hopeful that it would draw his focus back to the current discussion.

"Yes, a man who was well known for adhering to the honour code of his faction of knights, but as they say money can make one do things that one knows to be wrong. Yes I killed them all, and before you ask. Yes I tried diplomacy, but men bent on death won't stop till death comes. Either for them or their target....Hmm? Did I find who they worked for..no I never looked. Why search for more trouble that might have followed me home and brought more dangers to our people, at the time we were at war with the Holy Roman Empire, The Vatican and their allies. We did not need more troubles at the time, especially not over something as trivial as that." He explained to a now nodding Maehel, who had to admit Sypher had a point. Their people did not need more troubles on top of the ones they already had at the time.
She had almost forgotten that Sypher was far older than he appeared, and was said to have been around since long before her own grandfather's time. Yet he didn't look a day over his eighteenth or maybe his twenty second summer. A trait she had found common among the first of the noble families of their people. Yet only a handful of them were as well known as him, and even less had the renown he did.

"Sounds reasonable. I had forgotten that you were there during the First Exalted March and the Fourth Grand Conflict.
Do you ever wish things had gone differently with your beloved?"
She replied. Unknowingly showing how forgetful she could be.

"I understand, you aren't the first to forget nor the last. One time at the Gathering of The Houses. Some of nobles thought I was the reincarnation of myself. One thought I was my own descendent. You should've seen their reactions when the Brethilrin told them I was indeed myself." He ended with a rather humorous face. His hands on either side of his dropped O shaped jaw. He held the expression for a while before breaking it as he let out a laugh that was so infectious that even the monumentally shocked Maehel had to laugh.
"And no I have never thought about it, why waste time thinking and stressing over what can never be changed..sounds like a very miserable existence." He returned.

"Sounds like a fun time. Though meeting the Brethilrin has always been a dream of mine." She admitted, for the first time in her life, unknowingly to a person who already knew this so claimed secret. "I can understand that." She didn't say how cold it sometimes felt thinking about how calm and logical he could be even in the affairs of the heart.

"Aye she is a wonderful individual, a true mother of our people."
It was obvious to Maehel that Sypher too held the Brethilrin with a great amount of reverence. Just from the tone he used to speak of her in was endearing. It wasn't uncommon for their people to have respect for the woman known as the Silver Queen. Parents told stories of her near countless acts of valor to their daughters in hopes that they would turn out like her. Even Maehel remembered the times her father and mother told her the stories, and could say that the Brethilrin was and would forever be her inspiration.

"Yea.. true, guess that's the reason shes a Patron of War and a role model to us female warriors." She added.

"Yup..but back to our real conversation. Tread carefully, the hearts of Echil can be very fickle, and they are prone to temptation and thus corruption. The great evil can always find itself welcomed and housed in the hearts of those who can be easily swayed." He replied, a wise tone replacing the near emotionless calm one of before.

"Do you think he has it in him, to fall to the shadows?" She asked, her tone giving away her concern to the matter.

"Who knows the inner workings of one's mind and heart. But before you get disheartened and fall into a lugubrious state about it. I do not think he personally has it in him. Nor do I think he would willingly betray his code, and or fall into the darkness." The last part sounded rather encouraging at least to Maehel who perked up.
"I can see that as well..though he seems.... Highly impressionable and unaware of the world outside of his?" She said, obviously unaware of what her words had just started.

"Was that last part a question or a statement. It sounded like the later, and I must agree, but you have to remember you too went through that phase, when the worlds both around you and the ones outside of our home were as unknown as the bottom of the sea?" He countered.

"I'm not entirely sure myself..yea I did go through that phase when I was a child. I will admit that, but he is a grown man, there is a difference and there is no excuse for ignorance." She retorted. A small huff escaping her. How could Sypher dare compare her to a man, who looked and seemed fresh out of the innocent shield of childhood.

"A child, a grown man, an elderly woman, there is no difference. Awareness and knowledge are like wisdom and experience they can and do come at any age. Now in his defense. Think of how old he is, comparatively he can't be dry behind the ears, not yet at least. Let alone he has been raised in a world that believes war over a philosophic idea is right, killing anyone who feels different along with their teachings. They know little of the old world unless they follow the ways of their ancestors, and even they have nearly lost their way. The masses believe that the earth is the center of the cosmos and everything in creation revolves around them and their flat earth that you could fall off of if you go over the edge. Those who don't think like the rest or disagree with the common teachings are marked as heretics to be tortured and burned at the stake for their so called heathen thinking... Echil in general are rather child like if you think about it, and like children they do not know they are blind, Unlike children however who absorb any information you give them so long as it makes scense and feel true. They refuse to learn and acknowledge their ancestral teachings because their church of power hungry spiritual vampires calls these lessons the works of their corruptor god, what ever they call him. But let me get back on point, less I continue to rant about the overly shared trait of blind submissiveness..and the lack of free will. My point is however, who will teach these children right from wrong if not us. Who will guide them if not those who have learned the paths to the truth, who will give them their sight back, if not those who have there eyes and minds open with a heart that welcomes them as they are and can spare an eye. Only by sharing our knowledge can we counter the ignorance that they have been taught by their teachers who teach what they are told to teach instead of what they actually know." He paused for a moment to take breath before resuming his impromptu speach.
"Use the time you find yourself in their company to learn about them, to teach them the now secret truths of their own people and some of ours but teach our secrets only to those who are ready and willing to face the adversity that comes with knowledge and outside thinking." When his rant was over he finally noticed that Maehel was staring at him with an amused expression on her face.
"Something funny?" He asked.
"Yes, you. For one who has been at the brunt of their violently intolerant ways, for I don't know how long or how many times. You still defend them. Also I lost half of what you were saying. But I got the point. I think... nature vs nurture right? I also got the last part and I will do that. Or at least attempt to. Your rants have always been so insightful and humorous. Even if I do get lost somewhere in the middle." She said as she looked up at the sky, half attempting to look at the stars through the branches wich wasn't working very well. The other part was to stop herself from either staring at Sypher's eyes or comparing him to a member of the legendary circle of wise wizards who were said to advise and guide the Kings and Queens of old. Who vanished some time after the foundation of the current state of the Gethenwoods. Though rumors and whispers in the Courts said they resided in one of the old fortresses.

After a short pause Sypher stood up and brushed any debris that may have clung to his cloak with one hand while the other pulled his hood back over his head. "We should head back now, if you plan on being able to participate in the training session with Tristan and Maximus' knights in the morning." He said as he turned and held out a hand to Maehel who surprisingly actually took his hand for help as she got up and just like Sypher did before her brushed off any lingering debris off her attire.
"Agreed last thing I need is to be groggy all day or lose to any of these knights...."' She replied as she stretched a few soft pops emanating from her lower spine.
"Very true indeed, I don't think you would be able to live it down ever...I know I wouldn't let you." Sypher responded as the two walked back towards the palace.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They made not a sound as they crept through the halls. Every aware of any sound that could belong to a resident of the castle. They crept not out of fear of being caught up at this late of hour, but for the enjoyment of knowing they could. It didn't take long before they had reached the tower that Tristan and his guards resided in every summer. The only run in they had with people was of a few of their fellow guards who just like them were sneaking back into the castle after a night of doing whatever it was they wished in the forest around the castle. They all gave one another with a knowing nod before slipping into their rooms. Some like Maehel went to sleep while others remained awake for a while before all but the guards stationed at Tristan's door and Sypher went to sleep. The rest, resting for the day to come. While Sypher mediated in his room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VengefulPeanut
The first day of the Summer Court has come to a close.

While the guests of King Maximus Fairway slumber, the Northerners draw their summit to a close.

As all slumber, a hardy raven with a cord of gold around its throat flies swiftly across Vanqland, the fate of the kingdom in its talons.

The bird arrives just before the sun where the northern fortress's raven keeper would find it patiently waiting for a feeding with a royal proclamation (with the original letter attached) waiting in the tray below its perch.

The raven keeper, seeing the royal seal, rushes it to one of the keepers of the fortress who would decide to deliver it to Bjarke when the man awoke.

To the honorable Hygar Lorn, Steward of Nacht's Reach and the family of Serah Hoster,

Thank you greatly for entrusting the hand of the Lady Serah into my hands. It is with much gratitude and joy that I have searched for a worthy husband to the young widow. Through careful thought and council, I have decided that, being a widower of noble birth myself, that the Lady and I would have a happy union. Though my daughter Evelyn will inherit my Kingdom, an heir produced between the Lady Serah and myself would be a proud ruler for Nacht's Reach and a worthy man or woman of Vanqland of pure Vanqan breeding with ties to both North and South. I invite the Lady Serah and her guardians to join me in the capital for court. Should it please the Lady, I would be happy to host our union in the palace this very summer once arrangements have been struck between the Lady's family and myself. I have no need of a dowry and instead seek only the Lady's hand, her wisdom for my daughters, and any love she can muster for me. I write with earnest and greatly anticipate the arrival of the remaining Northern nobility and the Lady Serah into my home.

With love and deepest humility,

King Maximus Fairway, First of His Name, Sovereign of Vanqland

Meanwhile, in the Capital, there are a variety of plans made for guests of the Court. The gardens are in full bloom and open for guests. There will be musicians and dancers in the throne room to entertain and a plethora of food and drink for enjoy. Each member of the King's Guard is instructed upon waking to meet the King in the armory for a meeting. Servants of the castle go about their daily lives. Guests and nobles are free to do as they please and the King has made the royal horses open to view and ride under supervision. He is looking for a fine mare for his stud so any who wish to look into that are welcome. There is no mention of chapel, but the town below does have a small church for any who wish to attend. There will be no dancing until night fall, but a drama has been prepared by a troop of traveling actors for entertainment at dusk.

The weather is warm and pleasant with a slight breeze. Rain will fall just before sunset.

-Robert Bowman, Knight of the Kings Guard-

Turning over in his covers with a groan, Robert slept into the morning. The exhaustion from the night before had clearly taken its toll as he stole an extra half hour's slumber... or so he thought.

Thud! Thud! Thud!

Three sharp rasps on his door kicked him from his blissful, dormant state (only minutes into his stolen 30). Rubbing his eyes, he sat upright before throwing the covers to the side and his legs in the opposite direction. Strolling over to the door, he opened it so it was slightly ajar just so much that the person stood outside wouldn't get full view of the Knight's room or unkempt, bedraggled appearance. Craning his head around the wood, he peered out into the hall to see one of the King's servants stood looking idle-eyed back at him.

"I guess I'm not the only one who's had their sleep disturbed then?" Robert offered in dry jest, something the servant didn't seem to react much to.

"Sir Robert, the King wishes the presence of all of the Knights in the armoury at once. I have been sent to inform you all and to tell you to make haste with your task, morning practice will have to wait," the servant replied stoutly. It was no surprise that the young lad seemed completely devoid of emotion. Given his proper appearance he must have been raised from sleep mere hours after he committed himself to his bed chamber. Still, that was no excuse. The servants in the castle always had that blank palette feel to them, it was their job. A message delivered improperly could spell the end for them and they knew it. They weren't paid to be individuals, they were paid to serve them.

"Then I will do as my King commands me. Though arriving in nought but my undergarments isn't proper for a Knight now, is it?" The servant seemed to accept Robert's statement as he bowed his head dutifully before disappearing down the hall to, no doubt, another of the Knights' quarters.

Robert shut the door and headed back towards his armour stand, unlacing his trousers at the waist and slipping them from his ankles as he went before promptly changing. Once he had a fresh pair, he exited the room and headed down the hall. It was clearly morning as the air had a chilly sting to it. The cold hard stone of the Knights' residence did no favours for the heating of the place and Robert soon missed the soft kiss of his torch's embrace. Rubbing his bare arm in an attempt to generate some friction, he entered the wash room before filling one of the cast-iron-bucket shaped baths with tepid water. The rag nearby seemed clean enough so without delay he plunged it into the depths of the bath before he began to dab his skin down, washing the grime of the previous day from his body before finally dunking his head inside. As he threw his head back, the water flicked backwards and his drenched golden locks darkened as they stuck tightly to his head. Drying himself swiftly, he exited and returned to his room once more before gearing up. First, his tunic, then his mail, then his tabard and finally the plates. He slid his sword into its sheath before kissing the tip of his index and middle finger, pressing it to the relic that was his father's shield. With a set jaw and an iron resolution, he steeled himself for the day and moved from his chambers with a purpose.

It wasn't a long walk to the armoury, the idea of the design clearly being that in the case of an attack the Knight's could acquire whatever arms they needed for the battle ahead in a hurry, so he was one of the first to arrive. Stepping inside, he shuffled to the right of the door and held his hands politely in front of him, awaiting to see what business his king might have of him.

tumblr_mhds44sPXA1rxij5oo1_500.gif

tumblr_mfciptaKuf1qalaono1_250.gif

Poor Robert. Just wants a fridge for his morning juice and all he gets is a cast iron bucket D:

• Love
Reactions: GoodEveningClarice

Maximus woke from a deep sleep all at once. He groaned into his pillow, twitching at the deep, burning sensation in his back. It never failed to wake him. Not one sunrise was he left to be unbothered. Though he usually forced himself to back to bed until a decent hour, today he was glad for the jarring alarm. He stood up wearily and washed with the warm water in the basin beside the fire place. He scrubbed at his fingernails and feet and his neck and face, sure to spend extra time behind his ears. He eyed himself in the mirror above his basin, noting that he was beginning to look a bit old, though he could correct that whenever he so wished….

Once he was dressed and his hair tamed back from his face, The King slipped down into the warmth of the kitchens for bread and butter and a fresh plum. He couldn't go without breakfast, no one wanted him to go without breakfast. With his modest meal finished, he strode towards the armory. He beat Robert by only a few minutes and had taken to examining some of the larger weapons on the wall when the blonde Knight arrived. Without turning, the King spoke.

"Sir Robert. I'm glad you're the first here, you're an awful liar."

He prodded at a bastard sword before pulling it down and testing the grip and balance. "Splendid…Right then. Would you mind informing what transpired with my youngest daughter last night? I heard from a reliable source that half of my guard was riding through the woods last night, I'm curious about that. And when you're done with that, please inform me of why two of my guards were bribed away from my study's door during an important meeting. When you're done with that…well hopefully the others will be here by then."

He turned and smiled, the weak sun catching his hazel eyes and lighting them like flame. With the sword in his grip and such a wicked curl of the lips, it wasn't difficult to see why he was rumored to be a demon worshiper.

anigif_original-grid-image-5585-1427134162-8.gif

Serah acknowledged her brother's offer of help. She knew she could count on him for anything she needed. Soon afterward the meeting ended. She hoped that the next morning, after he had drank and whored the night away, her brother would be in a great mood for her to ask him a great favor. Serah really wanted to appoint a new steward but didn't trust any of the men in Nacht's Reach. So, she was hoping Bjarke could be convinced to leave one of his own men behind to become her new steward and help her with the ones who were still loyal to her late husband. They strongly disliked her and Serah was worried that things might escalate.

Serah went to her room and found Johana waiting for her. The girl helped her mistress dress for the night and left soon after for her own chamber, on the same hall as her mistress. Johana was the only person Serah truly trusted in Nacht's Reach so she wanted to keep her close. Plus she wanted to protect her from any who would harm the girl to get the Serah. Something was going on in the shadows of the keep. First with the village houses being burned and now there were whispers and strange looks going on inside the keep itself. Serah had been raised to notice things and she could feel that something was going on. She didn't feel safe in her own home. If Bjarke could be convinced to leave one of his trusted men behind to look after Nacht's Reach, then Serah would go with him to the court. That way she could at least feel somewhat safer.

~~~

Serah woke the next morning as Johana came in the room. "Good morning milady," the girl said in her sweet way. "Did you sleep well?"
"Not very well I'm afraid," Serah admitted, "but hopefully that will change soon. Johana," she said after a moment. "If I said I was going to travel south to court, would you come with me?"
"Of course milady!" Johana said without hesitation. "I will serve you forever," she pledged. "And I would love to see the court. I hear there are quite handsome knights there," she said with a blush.
Serah chuckled. "I will have to keep an eye on you so no gallant knight steals you away from me."

Johana giggled as there was a knock on the door. "That must be the water for your bath milady," she said and opened the door. She screamed moments later as a hooded man shoved her into the room. Serah rose and grabbed for her dagger on her bedside table, but not quick enough. The hooded man raised a loaded crossbow. There was no way to avoid or block the arrow. Serah braced for the pain.

It never came.

"Milady!"
Serah watched in horror as her young maid, little Johana, stepped in front of her...
"No!" she screamed as the crossbow went off, the arrow burying inself into the maid's chest. The force of it knocked her back onto the floor. Serah immediately grabbed her knife and flung it, going deep into her attacker's shoulder. He howled in pain and she recognized the voice.
"Guards!" she screamed. "Guards!"
But it wasn't her guards that ran in, but those belonging to John. Her guards had either been lured away or were involved in this assasination attempt. And she knew the latter was the most likely.
The men grabbed the hooded man, forcing him to his knees and removing the hood.
The old weathered face of Hygar Lorn, twisted in pain, glared back at them.

Serah knelt, pulling Johana into her arms. The arrow, which would have struck Serah's heart, punctured the maid's lung. There was nothing anyone could do.
"I'm sorry milady," she said, crying. "I shouldn't have opened the door. I'm sorry...."
"Shh," Serah said, cradling the girl in her lap and brushing her hair back. "You have nothing to be sorry for."
"It hurts..." she cried."
"I know, but it will go away soon," she said, trying to keep the tears from her voice even as they stung her eyes. "You have done well my dear, my darling Johana."
The girl's breaths came slower and more shallow. "I'm s-sorry..." she stammered, her voice starting to fail as her life drained from her. "I wanted to s-serve you forev-ver."
"You saved my life Johana," Serah said, her voice breaking. "I will never forget that. You will always be in my heart and my memories. Sleep now my dear," she said soothingly, running her fingers through the girl's hair and patting her head. "Sleep in peace. The gods wait for you."

Serah watched as the life drained from Johana's eyes. She held her even after she stopped breathing and her eyes stared at nothing. She felt her last heart beat before it stilled. And Serah cried, showing more emotion then she had in a long time. She didn't care if the men were watching, seeing her moment of weakness. Serah cried, kissing Johana's forehead. "I'm sorry," she told the dead girl. "I am so sorry I couldn't protect you. Forgive me."

After some time Serah's tears stopped. With one last kiss to the poor child's head, she laid her down and stood, blood on her nightgown as she faced the man who had taken the innocent life. Hatred burned in her eyes even as it froze the men in the room.
"Go and find my brother," she ordered, her voice like harsh frost.
"But mila-"
"Go!" she ordered. One of the men instantly took off to do as she said. Two remained behind the hold on to the prisoner. Serah approached him slowly, purposefully.
The old man blustered. "You do not frighten me bitch," he said. "My only regret is that the brat got in the way. I know you killed my lord. I know you did! And you will pay. Kill me if you wish, but I am not the only one who knows and wishes for your death. You will die bitch. Do you hear me? You will die-!"
His words turned into a scream of agnoy as she reached over and pulled her knife from his shoulder. Reaching over, she cut off his hand at the wrist. As he screamed, she grabbed his face, digging her nails in as she forced him to look at her. "You will not die," she said, her voice quiet but filled with barely controlled rage. "You will live. You will live with the shame of what you are : a coward and an old fool. For attacking a woman in her bedchamber and for the innocent blood you have on your hands. No matter what I may have done, that girl was an innocent, a soul of purity and light. Killing you would be too merciful. No, I will not release you from the torment of your life. You shall live the rest of your years in shame, guilt and cowardice before you finally die and meet the gods, who will have a punishment far worse then anything I could do to you."

Shoving him away, she looked at the two men holding him. "Take him to the dungeon. Make sure the keeper knows my orders : he is to be kept alive and well fed. I want him to live with what he has done, to suffer the life of a crippled coward."
As they dragged the still blubbering old man away Serah went back to the Johana's body, pulling the blanket from her bed and covering her with it. Then she stood and waited, knife in hand, for her brother to arrive.

And then she would leave this place.

Garlen Mattowick

He had closed his eyes for but one moment and found himself on a field of tall grass, under a dark sky. There was an incessant ringing in his ears, the heavy smell of smoke and blood filling his nostrils. Suddenly, the sound of a horn echoed out into the distance and he saw an army standing from where it came, there they rose a banner of an unknown house, to an unknown king, The men wore helms of a strange metal..Upon closer inspection, it looked almost like bone and they had no faces.. The Houndsman got up to his feet, his body was aching, and his cuirass was riddled with holes and slash marks. Another horn from the opposite direction answered the army's call, and in a few moments another army appeared almost instantaneously as if they had been concealed in a fog of darkness. They rose their own banner and wore helms of the same material, one could not tell the difference between the two armies other than the seals they wore and the banner they raised, but it was clear that they had come to wage war. He also heard their voices faint in the air, they were not of any throat he knew of, instead their voices were hushed, twisted and gnarled in all sorts of ways, all of them simpering and hissing in seething pandemonium. He could not make out anything that they were saying other than one word.
"Run..Run...Run"
At that instant, the Baron was stricken with a shaking fear, and had burst into a near sprint, as fast as his breaking legs could carry him. The armies at his left and right began to charge with inhuman haste, the sounds of horns being blasted throughout the air and arrows tipped with fire whistling overhead, leading trails of black smoke all over.

All he knew was that he had to get out....get out..but the pain was too much.

He collapsed on the ground, even crawling was too much for him to bear, he could only lay there as the two armies closed in, preparing to clash, surely it would be his own demise.
"Lord, do not let me die like this!" He screamed with what little strength he had.

His vision went dark, and all went silent. He laid there for what seemed like hours before he heard a sound, it was the barking of hounds.

They were his.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Houndmaster sat up from a very uncomfortable bed, to find himself in one of the king's guestrooms. He looked around, a window was open, letting in sunshine and the gentle breeze of summer.
He began to recall the events of last night. It was rather lackluster in terms of a king's party, but he did miss most of it after all. He began to quietly dress himself, he wore his cuirass, polished and riveted with gold, something he wore mostly for ceremonial occasions. As he dressed, he noticed his hands were cold, he was still shaken from that dream..but he saw himself as a very pragmatic person. After all, dreams are nothing more than mere dreams.

He left the guest room and later found himself in the court's lobby, of which a few other nobles were chatting and lounging amongst themselves. He began to wonder if the king really held this festivity for her two daughters, or was it for something else...

The Houndmaster suddenly remembered the missive he had entrusted to Arren last evening, surely the king must have acquired it..or perhaps he decided to read it himself, which wasnt particularly a problem given that he knows naught of what the letter references. Either way, he wanted to see what the king thought.
"I'd like to request an audience with Maximus, if I may, it is just a few political matters, it should not take long." He spoke to a nearby servant.
If all went well, the Baron and the King would both benefit from this, after all, he was known for making offers one cannot refuse.

Maryn had woke long before the rest of the Pack, he had spent the night seducing a castle maid, he slept on a comfortable bed. Ÿrd however had passed out drunk with his head resting on the table which held several cups of ale. Maryn walked into the brothel and looked over the chaos that his brothers had caused. Men and women were passed out, food was on walls, mugs were thrown around. A chair and table had been crushed by some fighting. Maryn spotted Ÿrd's hulking comatose body on the table and walked over, he slammed his hand on the table in an effort to wake Ÿrd but he still slept.

Maryn saw an opportunity for him to have some fun, he poured several of the cops into one mug and then shook the liquid around. He held it over Ÿrd head and slowly poured it out. Ÿrd eyes opened and he began huffing the water away from his mouth. He shot up and combed his now wet hair and beard.

"I suppose its mornin then hm?" Ÿrd said with a laugh as he dried out his hair with a table cloth, "Fuck I've got the worst headache."

Before Maryn could reply a guard had burst into the brothel, he seemed to be in a hurry. He looked around but could not find what he was looking for, Maryn looked towards the man and opened his arms in a questioning gesture while twisting his face. The man resumed some composure and cleared his throat before speaking.

"Lady Holster wishes to see her brother Lord Keln," The man said hurriedly, "It is most urgent, there has been an attack."

Ÿrd rose from his seat quickly, his large stomach knocking the table over and causing a few of the pack members to stir. Ÿrd pounded his hammer on the ground and began yelling, "Wake the fuck up you mangy mutts! To arms! All of You!"

Maryn sighed and finished off a drink beside him then set the cup down. Ÿrd moved to Bjarke's room and threw the door open, the sight before him was one of bodies twisted around one another with. There appeared to be three women, two of which were not members of the pair from last night. As Ÿrd approached the bed he spotted Bjarke's braids, between the legs of one of the women Bjarke's head was. It appeared that one woman was on his lap when she fell asleep, and another woman was sleeping with her arms wrapped around the woman who's legs Bjarke was under.

"Grey Wolf, wake up!" Ÿrd shouted picking up one of the woman's legs and moving it off of Bjarke's face, "Serah needs you, there's been an attack."

Bjarke mumbled something as he raised his head and lifted his torso causing one of the girls to roll off, he lifted himself from the bed and threw his legs over the side. He grabbed a pair of pants and tied them on quickly then threw on his boots. He didnt bother to dawn any of his armor he was only interested in his sword. He grabbed its handle and sheathe and separated the two, he gazed at his sword as it gleamed in the morning light. He moved to the interior of the brothel and then threw the door open to the morning cold and wind, a gust of light snow flowing into the brothel. Bjarke ran across the snow with the guard leading him and Ÿrd and Maryn close behind. The guard opened the doors quickly and Bjarke looked around, no sign of a major battle. It had to have been a smaller group, one that could get the job done but not alert the castle of their presence.

"Where is my sister?" Bjarke boomed turning back to the guard, "Take me to her."

The guard nodded and obeyed, showing him the route up to his sister's chambers. When they neared Bjarke's sword hand tensed, he feared that his sister was hurt. When they turned into the room Bjarke was relieved to see his sister unharmed, but he spotted a small figure cloaked in a blood stained bed sheet. Bjarke let out a shaky breath, he exhaled and sat on the balls of his feet for a second. His heart slowed and he realized how fearful he had been.

"Gods, thank you for the life of this innocent, it will not be forgotten," Bjarke said as he propped his sword up against the wall. As his mind calmed he noticed a protrusion in the sheet, an arrow or bolt of some kind. Bjarke looked to his sister and saw she carried a bloody knife, but that she had no injuries. Ÿrd walked in breathing heavily and sat in a chair when he realized all was calm, the chair creaked and groaned as he slumped in it, Maryn walked into the room with an arrow knocked but put it back in his belt quiver and held his bow at his side. He was not winded, he had kept calm. He always did.

"Who is the retch that did this?" Bjarke said as he brought himself to stand, "Does he still live? And if so do we know his motives?"

"Sir Robert. I'm glad you're the first here, you're a terrible liar." The King's words confused Robert slightly, causing his brow to drop into a confused frown. It was certainly an offbeat greeting but then Maximus was quite an offbeat King. Continuing to listen intently, sure that the comment was going to lead onto something, he watched as the King played with one of the armoury's bastard swords and awaited what was to come next. "Splendid…Right then. Would you mind informing what transpired with my youngest daughter last night? I heard from a reliable source that half of my guard was riding through the woods last night, I'm curious about that. And when you're done with that, please inform me of why two of my guards were bribed away from my study's door during an important meeting. When you're done with that…well hopefully the others will be here by then." A slight gasp of shock escaped Robert's lips as the King finished his command-shaped request. There was no point trying to conceal any details from the King. A gut instinct said that he was already fully aware of what went on or that he'd at least be able to tell if Robert left out details. Regardless, there was little need to feel guilt. It wasn't like any of it was his fault. His only concern was for Lilith and the scolding she might receive as recompense for her bold actions he previous night. Still, there was no choice aobut it.

"Well, it was towards the latter end of the evening, your highness. From what I could gather, Princess Evelyn and Princess Lilith had engaged in some sort of dispute as myself and Sir Arren were greeting Duke Tristan as they both quit the hall in seemingly fuming moods. Minutes after that event, Princess Lilith re-emerged and stormed out of the castle, riding fast for the forest. Of course, naturally, myself and Sir Arren gave chase to try and get her to return. After a slight run-in with the Hounds-... with Baron Garlen Mattowick and a couple of Duke Tristan's guards, we persuaded the princess to return to the castle with us where she enjoyed the rest of the festivities." Robert had an earnest look in his eye as he paused a moment to process his thoughts. "I hope you are not displeased with any of our actions, my lord. We acted with instinct in the absence of the Knight-Captain." He shuffled slightly as he repositioned himself to the side of the king so that they were more face-to-face. Looking the king in the eyes he continued yet again, "As for the castle guards, your highness, I can not say. I paid a visit by the Princess Evelyn's chambers last night as I completed my last rounds, making sure all was well with the castle before retiring for the eve. Besides running slightly afoul of a drunken Francis Clayburn, all was well... except the Lady Evelyn's guards were also missing from their posts. Could we have some sort of security breach?" His last question was phrased with a tone of worry as he looked expectantly to the king for a response.

giphy.gif

- Eira Merrick, Lady of Stornoway -

"My Lady, please slow down. There is little need to speed along our way to the court - the ale won't be flowing fully for at least another ten hours."

"You assume my only desire in this trip is ale, Sir Ralwen?" Eira asked, looking backwards from her horse towards her bodyguard who trailed behind by about 3 metres. Sir Ralwen, Eira's assigned bodyguard, was a middle-aged man reaching his 40s. Being in service to her father for many years had earned him recognition in the court of Stornoway and much fame in the West and as of such he was deemed worthy to guard one of the region's most precious ladies. He brought his fingers up to rub the stubble on his face before he let out a groan.

"No, my lady. But mine is. I'm sure your father instructed me to enjoy myself, also." Eira chuckled slightly at his last statement, letting out a blissful sigh.

"Of course my father would instruct you so. Just remember, Ralwen, this isn't one of your drunken escapades. My father won't be there to pull from the curb over the coming weeks," she responded with a teasing tone. A wry smile formed on her lips as she looked back once more to observe the effects of her jest. Surprisingly enough, Ralwen didn't seem much bothered. Having served with the Merrick family for so long he was practically one of them and the good-natured razzing came as part of the family bond. Matching her cheeky grin with a warm and sincere smile, Ralwen offered his retort.

"Do not worry, my lady. My priority will always be your safety." His words seemed serious but his expression did not. While she did not doubt the sentiment she knew that a contradictory jest was to follow. "If you wish for me to taste-test some ale or mead. You know who to call."

"And I suppose if I should need someone to defend me in open combat I should run to the castle guard?"

"Your words hurt, my lady." Eira giggled sincerely, warranting a chuckle to escape Ralwen's lips also. The journey to the Capital had occupied the duration of the last day and as of such they were late to the opening of the festivities. However, Eira didn't much care to participate in the first night of the jubilations. It was always a breeding ground of self-proclaimed love-gurus and little noble boys who hadn't earned a coin of their own in their life - all of them fighting to try and take her to bed. Frankly, it was the only time she was grateful for her birth-defect as they reeled in fear of her cold skin upon delicately kissing her hand. Oh, how it made her chuckle behind her polite and doting facade, how she so loved to act completely oblivious to the fact that her skin was as cold as ice.

It was late morning when the duo rode into the Capital and before heading to the castle Eira requested a stop. Dismounting her horse, she left the beast with Relwan before departing on a short walk down the street. An immediate turn right after 20 metres saw her entering the church of the district they were in. It was a modest place, clearly funded of the riches of the religion alone. How typical of Maximus, she thought to herself as she strolled down the aisle, admiring the decoration of the place. Taking a knee at the altar, she began to mumble her prayers in latin as she enjoyed a quiet moment's contemplation.

"Is there anything I can do for you, my child?" the priest who manned the institution asked as he emerged from the back. His sudden appearance surprised Eira for moment but she soon fell back into her comfort zone and gave a modest smile.

"No, thank you, Father. I have been travelling a lot so I wanted to use the opportunity of my arrival to pray," she responded, earnestly. The priest bowed slightly and gave a soft smile as she did so in kind before leaving the building.

"Are you ready to continue, my lady?" Ralwen asked as he brought her horse forward.

"Yes, I think I am, Sir Ralwen. I am to understand there will be a great deal of music and dancers within the court for the afternoon. I would much enjoy partaking in those festivities."

"From what I understand there is a great deal of food and drink promised, too," Ralwen cut in merrily once she had finished. Eira let out a small chuckle as she shook her head.

"I guess we'll never change you, will we, Sir Ralwen?" she asked in good humour, biting her tongue playfully.

"Think of where your father would be if you did!" he gloated with a boisterous laugh, in response.

When they arrived at the palace, Eira and Ralwen tied up their horses in the stables and proceeded straight to the main hall. True to the promises they had received for the day, a band provided live music and a banquet of food was laid out for all of the guest to feast upon. Assuming a demure stance, Eira placed her hands before her as she headed into the depths of the hall.

"I guess Summer begins here..."

tumblr_inline_mh9b1o5jt71qz4rgp.gif

A blood curdling scream woke Elizabeth causing her to sit straight up in the bed. Placing her hand on her chest, she soon realized the scream had left her own lips and was the reason her guards were rushing into her room. Tears prickled in the corner of her eyes as she dismissed the guards and they reluctantly left her chambers to leave her to whatever had given her such a fright. Pressing the back of her hand to her forehead, she could feel the sweat and the heat beating onto her still shaking hand. Pulling her hand away, she threw away the blankets and went to the small adjoining bathroom where her servants had already brought in the basin for her to bath. She had never been one for warm baths and the cold water sitting in front of her only welcomed her more as the passing seconds went on. Slipping off her nightgown, she got inside and let the cold take over. Letting her whole body sink into the water, she stayed under the water for what seemed like centuries. How easy it would've been in that moment but she couldn't do it. Resurfacing, she gasped for air, lightly wiping the water away from her eyes.

It wasn't until the water was gone that she realized that she had in fact been crying. As she ran her fingers through her hair, she stepped out of the basin and onto the stone floor. Walking back into her room, she let out a scream when she saw Charlie sitting on the edge of her bed, "God damn it! I need to get you a bell. One of these days a sword will be put through your heart." Using her hands to cover herself up, she grabbed her nearest robe, tying it tightly around her waist as she asked, "What do you want?"

"I'm worried about you, Elizabeth. You just don't seem yourself. Normally you are more assertive but you just seem all over the place and not yourself." Charlie stood, walking over to Elizabeth, lightly gripping her shoulders in his hands, "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I am perfectly fine. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get ready and go for a walk in the gardens with my son. I assume majority of court knows of him by now and I will be the discussion of those old bats at their morning tea." Kissing Charlie's cheek before shoving him out of her room, she let out a deep sigh as she went over to her trunk to get a dress. Looking through her neatly folded dresses, she finally decided on one that was similar to the one she had worn the night before. Once again choosing to emulate her house colors through her clothing. As she left her room, she pulled her hair over her shoulder into a simple braid before collecting her son from his uncle. Little Bellamy ran to his mother, embracing her in a hug. Elizabeth grinned as she picked him up, spinning him around. Setting him back on his feet, she said, "Wanna go play in the gardens? I hear they're beautiful this time of year." Her son nodded eagerly, running out the door ahead of Elizabeth. Charlie stood, kissing Elizabeth's cheek as she murmured to have fun. She nodded, following after her son. When they found themselves in the court's lobby, she noticed the infamous baron known as the The Houndmaster. Apparently her son found the man intriguing because before she could stop him, he was at Gerlen's heels.

The young boy stared up at the man in awe before he asked, "What's your name? I didn't see you at the king's party last night. I'm Bellamy. You may know my mommy, she's over there." Elizabeth quickly rushed over, blushing in embarrassment, "I apologize, Lord Mattowick, my son is the adventurous one."

tumblr_mwojj7SLS31ridkjdo2_250.gif

• Love
"Lord Clayburn! Lord Clayburn! My lord, please, you must wake at this moment." Jonah, one of the younger knights serving under the Clayburns, hovered over John as he attempted at waking the man. He had been sent by the other guards to inform John of the attempted assassination on Serah. Jonah leaned forward, gently shaking John, but to no avail, he only rolled back over and let out a loud snore. Groaning in frustration, he fell to his knees beside the bed, muttering prayers to the gods.

"Jonah, what on this earth are you doing?" Amelia cocked her head to the side as she looked at the young knight. Jonah was only five years older than her, so she saw him as a good friend and someone she could confide in when needed. Brushing her hair away from her face as her younger brother stumbled into the room, she looked down at him, saying, "I think Jonah has finally gone bonkers." Charles nodded his agreement as he flopped onto the bed at his father's feet.

Jonah looked at the pair, grinning, "The gods answered my prayers." Looking back at Amelia, he asked, "How do you normally wake your dad up?"

Amelia and Charles shared a look that only a brother and sister could share. Running off to the bathroom, they came back with a bucket of water from the still filled basin. Carrying it over to the bed, they tipped it off and the bucket landed on John's chest with a loud thud. John sat up straight, reaching for the sword beside his bed before he realized who it was. Glaring at his children then at Jonah, he all but growled, "All three of you better have a good reason for waking me up at this unreasonable hour." One had to understand that any hour before noon in John's mind was unreasonable. He hated the mornings because they often brought bad things for the young man, normally his children or his sister accompanied them, but none the less he hated mornings. Tossing the blankets away from his body as he stood to begin dressing, he asked, "What brings you to my bedroom, Jonah? I don't recall asking you to be my wake up call."

"Well you see, it seems there has been an attempt at Serah's life and that servant girl-" Jonah was cut off by how fast John moved throughout the room, quickly grabbing his sword then rushing to his friend's bedroom. When he saw Bjarke already there, he asked, "What in bloody hell has happened?" Seeing that his own guards were still present, he was grateful for his men in that moment. Looking at Serah to make sure she was okay, he could already be certain she was. He knew her well enough to know she wasn't easily shaken. Letting out a breath of relief, he muttered, "Thank you." He wasn't sure who he was saying thank you to, perhaps the gods or the one God that the Vatican worshiped, but he felt the needs to mutter the words as he glanced once again at Lady Clad.
tumblr_n87jmphxxl1tdq2z7o6_500.gif

Bellamy had been up far before even the sun was awake. He was coming back from his morning ride when he received a letter from the capitol. Returning to the stables with the rider who had delivered the letter, he recognized the man as one of his sister's many servants, though Bellamy could hardly call the man a servant. Reading the letter carefully and as he suspected, Francis was at court and had already spilled the north's secret to the royal family. Cursing to himself, he looked to the rider, saying, "Return to court. Inform my sister that both John and I will be riding out in just a few hours and should only be a few hours behind you. We intend on pushing through the night and riding to court as fast as we possibly can. I wish to not be separated from my family for another day, not in these times." The rider nodded before setting off once again.

Passing the reigns of his horse over to the stable boy, he began his way back to the castle. Bellamy walked as slowly as he could, not wanting to be in its confinements for much longer. Nacht's Reach used to be a place where he felt safe and could trust everyone around him, but now he wasn't even sure if he could trust his Clad cousins. He was just making his way through the gardens when his niece and nephew appeared in front of him but their father was absent. Normally Bellamy wouldn't have found this strange but there wasn't any guards in sight that were loyal to the Clayburns or the late Joral. Raising his eyebrow, he asked the pair, "What are you doing without your guards or your father?"

"Well it seems that lady was attacked and apparently there's now a dead body in her room. They wouldn't let in the room to see it though." Charles stuck out his bottom lip in a pout, clearly not understanding the situation.

Bellamy's mouth fell open as he asked, "Are you speaking of Lady Clad? Is she hurt?"

Amelia thought for a moment before saying, "Yes, Lady Clad. I don't believe she is hurt. Jonah didn't seem to know that much, though."

Bellamy nodded slowly before grabbing both their hands and taking them inside with him. They protested but he didn't mind. He just wanted to make sure they would be safe. If Joral's men were trying to kill Serah, anyone within the walls of Nacht's Reach could be in danger. Leaving them with Jonah in John's room, he made his way to Serah's room. Seeing both his brother and Bjarke already there, he didn't ask what had happened, instead he went to stand beside John and waited for Serah to speak.
tumblr_n9e151weu21qcn5fyo1_500.gif

• Love

Maximus listened with rapt interest, eyes locked on him as he spoke. He said nothing when he'd finished speaking as though testing whether he'd accept what he had to say or not. After a moment, he turned back to the window, patting the missive in his pocket. So many things happening at once, he could really hardly keep up. He leaned on the window and thought, eyes searching the gardens and the woods past them. "Very well, Sir Robert, thank you. I will impart my message onto you to pass on to your fellow guards. My daughters are to remain within the castle grounds unless escorted by no fewer than two knights and not without my express permission. Secondly, if anything such as last night's events should occur again, you will notify me immediately before taking action. Thirdly, in absence of a Knight Captain, I will be arranging patrols and guard assignments myself. I sent for some of the men of The Summer House and from Evelyn's personal guard to fill the obvious holes in our guard with reliable, trustworthy men who will report to me and yourself." He turned to face him. "There's a promotion to be taken Robert, and I'd love to give it to you or Arren over a man who already has a title." He strode to his side and squeezed his shoulder. "Don't let this happen again."

In his typical fashion, he almost reached the door before turning back to face the younger man. "Oh, and the Northerners are due to arrive today. Be sure you and your fellow knights are ready to deal with fistfights and the like. Thank you Sir Robert." He nodded and walked out of the armory, heading back towards his study. He withdrew the missive from the Hound Master and looked it over as he walked. There was, of course, a servant waiting for him. The man bowed deep. "Baron Mattowick would like to see you, my Lord." The King sighed but nodded. "Perfect, send him in." Maximus sank into one of his chairs rubbed his temples. Why, oh why had court seemed a good idea?

dghw9e-jpg1.gif

"Thirdly, in absence of a Knight Captain, I will be arranging patrols and guard assignments myself. I sent for some of the men of The Summer House and from Evelyn's personal guard to fill the obvious holes in our guard with reliable, trustworthy men who will report to me and yourself. There's a promotion to be taken Robert, and I'd love to give it to you or Arren over a man who already has a title. Don't let this happen again."

"Y-yes, my lord," Robert stuttered as the King squeezed his shoulder slightly. He pivoted slightly at his hip before fully rotating, following the King's direction as he went. Before the King left, he turned back once more.

"Oh, and the Northerners are due to arrive today. Be sure you and your fellow knights are ready to deal with fistfights and the like. Thank you Sir Robert."

"We'll be vigilant as ever, my lord. Take care," Robert bade politefully with a bow as the King exited the room. Letting out a relieved sigh, expecting the interrogation to be a lot more rigorous, Robert moved over to rest for a moment on the bench by the sword rack. As he processed the implications of the conversation he had just had a thought struck him like lightning. Training. Foisting a training shield and sword from the nearby rack, he headed through the stone halls of the palace and out towards the outer bailey. When he arrived, the training field was quite barren though the dummies and racks were ready for the Knights to arrive. "At least the servants have some sort of efficiency about them..." Robert grumbled to himself, his mind flickering back to the incompetence in the castle guard. Taking long steps over towards the first dummy, he lay the shield to the ground, assuming a one-handed battle stance.

Hyah!

With a cry, he delivered a horizontal slash followed by a swift upper-diagonal secondary strike. He took a step backwards.

Hyah! Hyuh! Cyah!

A deadly combination of a circular strike, a backhand and then a thrusting lunge this time. He continued this way for a while, waiting for the others to arrive. Before long he had begun to work up quite the sweat and his panting breaths were rapid and loud. Safe to say, he was warmed up and ready for the days bout of training.

Badass-Arthur-prince-arthur-merlin-24637088-408-192.gif

What in bloody hell?

Francis rubbed his eyes as he sat up from his slumber. Looking around his room, he noticed that the sun hadn't risen yet, but he could smell smoke in the air. That was oddly strange but he soon rolled back over, dismissing the thoughts of a fire. As he curled back up into a fetal position, his guards and servants busted through the door to inform him of his worst nightmare...a fire. Throwing on his clothes as fast as he could, he followed his guards and servants as fast as he could. When they made it to the gardens, such a peculiar place to go in case of a fire, he noticed that it wasn't a fire within the castle as he had assumed. Looking in the direction of where he could see the smoke, he asked, "What is going on?"

"It is your family, my lord. They've been discovered as Pagans by the Vatican. Your sister is being burned at the stake for being a witch, along with her child." Francis stared at the man standing beside him, afraid to believe what he had just said.

"No, they couldn't have been. They're Catholics. Our whole family is Catholic and loyal to the church, more so than our king..." Francis knew this was a lie. He and the elders were the last Catholics within the family. All the children had been persuaded by Pagan ways and that left Francis standing alone as the sole Catholic of the new generation.

The guard named Keller looked to Francis, saying, "I am truly sorry, my lord."

Then the screaming began.

Francis sat straight up in his bed, sweat pouring down his face. Looking to the window, he saw the sun had already risen and all was right with the world. Brushing his hair away from his face, he brought his knees to his chest, trying to regain his breath. Getting out of the bed, he quickly changed and went down to the kitchen. He needed a distraction and perhaps some witty banter with the princess would distract him from his dream. Gathering the food from the cooks and making up some stupid lie about why to give it him, he made it to the tower and began his walk up the stairs. When he made it to the top, he once again removed the painting from the wall and paid off the guards to get into her room.

Knocking softly on the door before entering, he went inside and gently sat on the edge of her bed. Smiling as he watched her sleep for a moment, he brushed her hair away from her face and softly said, "Princess, it's time to wake up."
tumblr_lukf8tW9pH1r6rneko1_500.gif

• Love
Serah looked up as her brother appeared. She dropped the blade without realizing her hand was shaking. She ran to him and hugged him tightly, burying her face into his chest. She would be strong and cold later. For just this moment, she was going to let it go and show emotion. She shuddered in his arms, wanting to sob but holding it back.
"She was only fourteen..." she whispered. "Bjarke..." her voice cracked with emotion. "She saved my life. She took that bolt meant for me... it's my fault... she's dead because of me..."
Serah held on and cried silently into her brother's chest until she heard other people enter the room. When she stood back to face them her face was like stone once again but the tears still shined in her eyes.

"My husband's old steward did this. He attacked my maid and myself in my room. Johana..." her voice broke and she had to clear her throat and swallow before continuing. "Johana died saving my life."
She looked at John. "I thank your men for coming to my aid. They shall be rewarded," she looked back at Bjarke. "My own guards were away from their posts, either lured away or bribed."

Serah looked down at the small body covered with the bloody sheet. "I can't stay here anymore. The only person who was loyal to me is gone. It is clear to me now that nearly everyone in this keep wants me dead for Joral's death," she kept a firm grip on her brother as she looked at him pleadingly. "I know as Lady of Nacht's Reach I should stay and oversee the land and people, but I am not safe here any longer. Please, take me with you. Take me south, away from this place."

---

It was later, in the counsil room, that Serah faced the men who were supposed to be her guards and the men who had actually helped her. She looked to the latter ones first.
"You have my personal thanks for coming to my aid. It is not your fault that Johana was killed, so please do not burdern yourselves with such thoughts. You are good men. No amount of gold could repay what your knightly virtues, but please accept what I give as your reward. And I encourage your master to reward you as well," she said, looking at John and nodding before looking back at the men again. She gave them one of her rare smiles. "In the future, if there is anything you or your families need, come to me and I shall do whatever is in my power to help you."

Curtsying to the noble men, she turned to the traitors who refused to meet her gaze as they stared at the floor. "I thank you for your honesty in admitting your part in this heinous event and your remorse for Johana's death. For that, I shall spare your lives. But you are hence forth stripped of your titles as guards of Nacht's Reach. You are banished from this land. I expect you gone within the hour and to never see your faces again, for if I do you shall die," she said the last words slowly, stressing each one.

As they were led out Serah sat down, suddenly very weary. Her hands trembled and her eyes stung. She hadn't had a chance to grieve properly for Johana. She needed to do so before she broke down in front of all of these people.
"My lady! A message by bird has arrived! It is from the Royal Court!"
Serah wanted to scream but managed to hold it in. She couldn't take much else this day. "It can wait until I can arranged for Johana's burial," she said, waving it away.
"But milady, it has the seal of the King himself!"
That made her pause. Sighing, she took the missive and opened it, eyes scanning it quickly. She froze. She read it again, more slowly. All color drained from her face. "B-jarke..." she murmured, reaching for him, her voice nearly gone in shock. "Bjarke..."

Once Elizabeth left his chambers, Charlie decided it was time for him to go and explore the Vanqland court. It had been years since he had visited, actually now that he thought about it it had been close to fifteen years since he last set foot outside of France. He wouldn't say that it was nice to be back, in fact he wasn't happy in the least. The only reason he was even within a fifty mile radius of this particular court was because of his nephew. If he ran into any of his family other than his cousins, well he could only dread the moment. He had been first in line once and been the face of his house but now he only dreaded the moments he saw his family and returned to that dreaded northern mountain range.

Grabbing his sword from beside his bed, he left his room quietly, not wanting his cousin's guards to notice his absence. Strolling down the hall in a leisurely fashion, he walked wherever his feet carried him. He had no direction in mind, instead he just simply wanted to avoid anyone he was related to for the morning. Listening as he found his way into the court's lobby, he could hear the whispering about him rising. Had they never met a man who whored around before? They acted as if their own husband's and brother's didn't do it themselves. Sighing to himself, he glanced around the room to see if he saw any old friends. With no avail, he made his way towards the entrance of the castle, deciding to head towards the stables.

In his daydreaming, he bumped into no other than Eira Merrick, Lady of Stornoway. Charlie reached out to steady the woman in case he had made her stumble in anyway, saying, "I am so sorry, Lady Merrick. I got caught up in my daydreaming and didn't see where I was going. I apologize once again." Bowing his head slightly, he smiled at her as a way to further extend his apology.
tumblr_l5wb9wy1SJ1qabc8o.gif

• Love
Evelyn dreamt of warmth. Of her mother's smile and Grandmother Penny's cats running between her feet. A good dream, a fitful dream for a princess. The Princess was typically one to rise early, especially when Court was in session. However the events of the night before had worn her thin and she was sleepily heavily despite the time. A pleasant smell roused her followed by a smooth masculine voice that finally caused her dark lashes to flutter open. She glanced at his hand so near her face having just brushed her hair to the side. She smiled gently at foolish Francis Clayburn in her bed with breakfast on a tray. "You are laying it on thick." She murmured, sitting up to rub sleep from her eyes. She plucked a piece of fruit from the tray and took a few dainty bites. She sat still for a moment, gathering herself and admiring the man across from her. She looked down at her knees and smiled lightly before looking back at him.

"You're going to have to be more careful. Father has sent for Knights of the Summer House to bolster the castle's ranks. I'm sure Dame Hallan will be charged with us, being a female without temptation for us." She smiled slyly and propped herself up on a few pillows, continuing to pick at the food in front of her now and then. "She's a hard woman, but she has a soft spot for us. I'm sure she'll let you in…if you're sweet of course." She set upon a bowl of berries in cream, eating them up in a few bites. They really were her favorite. She left the rest and yawned, stretching her arms. She needed to get dressed and do something with her life, but being warm and full with Francis Clayburn in her room hardly made her want to hurry. She eyed the place where her mirror had been broken the night before, but it had been replaced sometime in the night. Anna and Varric's doing no doubt. They both moved so silently, she'd never understand.

She released herself from the restraints of her bedding and got to her feet, wandering over to her wardrobe to pick through her dresses. "Would you like to go riding with me, Francis? It seems a lovely day outside." She felt rather bold for inviting him and felt very much she was dangling meat above a hound's mouth but the meat was her very heart, but perhaps Francis was worth the risk. She settled on a pale blue gown that was light weight and easy to ride in. Quite the scandal was Princess Evelyn, she couldn't stand side saddle. She moved behind an ornate changing screen and quickly got into it, splashing her face with the water basin on the stand behind the screen. She tied her hair half-up as was her usual style, then returned to her bedside. "Shall we?"

lily-collins-mirror-mirror-snow-white.gif

• Love
Reactions: Duchess
When Francis saw the princess wake, he only smiled brighter. Resting his hand on her cheek for a moment, he rubbed his thumb across her cheekbone as he leaned forward to kiss the top of her head. He didn't listen to whatever she had said, he was only focused on their close proximity. It would be so easy for him in that moment to lean forward and kiss her lips but he didn't, instead he rose from his seat on her bed and opted out for leaning against the wall beside the bed.

Folding his arms across his chest, Francis let out a soft chuckle at her comments about being more careful. Francis rocked back on his heels as he said, "I'm not scared of a dame and I'm sure I can just pay her off with gold. Gold in this castle can buy you anything, have you noticed that? I sometimes wonder who your knights are loyal to...the gold or your family..." Trailing off, he nibbled on his bottom lip before looking back at her. She really was beautiful and he could already say he was falling for her, then an idea struck. She was looking for a suitor, no? And he had just left his fiancee, right? Were they not the perfect match? Oh the scandal. Grinning to himself, he asked, "What if I were to ask your father for your hand in marriage?" He wasn't sure why he was asking, perhaps the scandal and drama that would surround their engagement more than anything. Oh my, what would his parents say? What would that awful Duchess that he was supposed to marry say? What would everyone say about the princess? They would surely believe he had bedded her and gotten her pregnant, why would the princess want a man who was third in line for his own title and from the north none the less?

Watching as she changed behind the screen, he nodded, "Of course. I love riding and it'd be a privilege to ride with my future queen." When Evelyn stepped back out from behind the screen, Francis's smile grew as he whispered, "You look beautiful." Extending his arm to her so he could escort her from the room, he once again found his lips on the top of her head as she asked her simple question. He looked forward to their ride and what the day could bring, especially since he had so boldly just asked her opinion on marrying him.
tumblr_mc2cd9J0D01rgobqgo4_500.gif

• Love
- Eira Merrick, Lady of Stornoway -

As she eyed the room, trying place which parts had changed since her last visit, she felt someone bump into her from her right, causing her to stumble slightly. Feeling that person grab her caused an even sharper gasp to escape her lips than the first one. Thankfully, as she steadied and she realized the person was only touching the fabric of her dress, she calmed immensely. Looking up, her eyes met those of Charlie Clayburn who was smiling through his apology. She returned his warm smile with one of gratitude and bowed her head respectfully as delicately she maneuvered from his grasp.

"Think nothing of it, Sir Clayburn," she said in a soothing tone. Her eyebrows raised as she realised she didn't know the lad's name properly, "It was Charles, wasn't it? Or Charlie?" She let out an embarrassed chuckle. "It's been so long since I was last in court in such a busy event, I'm afraid I can't remember." Ralwen circled to the pair's right, giving Eira a questioning look. It was clear his protective instinct was kicking in but was disarmed by the dismissing smile Eira gave him. Nodding his head understandingly, he moved off into the hall and began to observe the room - analysing the people, the layout, the potential. It was clear to him that work had started.

katie-mcgrath-merlin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.