God Is On His Knees (IC/Still Accepting)

• Thread starter GoodEveningClarice
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serah blinked, slightly taken aback by the lord's rudeness, but trained too well to show it. Instead she gave him a smile that would have withered most men. She was every inch the grace and dignity that her title invoked.
"I was taught that it was rude to insult someone in their own home," she said quietly, not wanting to draw attention to them all. "No matter your personal feelings for me, it is befitting of a man who calls himself a lord to at least act like one. "I hope this business shall be concluded quickly. Then you may leave my home and not return until you can learn to act in a manner that befits your station. Rest assured I will be informing your leige lord to not send you to my home ever again, since you find my company as distasteful as I find yours. Excuse me," she said, curtseying a little and effectively ending the conversation and her required hospitality towards him in one fluid motion.

She glanced at John as she turned away, silently questioning why he would be speaking to such a person. If he was supposed to be a friend to her, why did he just stand there while this... person insulted her in such a way?
Moving quickly, she passed by all of the men enjoying themselves and went back to her table. "Johana, please continue to serve everyone. I need a moment alone to collect my thoughts before the meeting begins."
"Aye milady," she said with a small bow.
"And do not forget to have some food and drink yourself," Serah told the girl with a kind smile. "You have been working hard and doing well. You deserve some refreshment yourself."
"Aye milady. Thank you milady," the servant said and nodded.

That seen to, Lady Serah left the room, going upstairs to the meeting room. The room was large and cold and empty. She breathed deeply, closing her eyes. Sometimes it was difficult, being the Lady of Nachts Reach. To be polite and civil and calm at all times, even when you wanted to see to things in a more direct manner. She envied her brother that luxery.
Sitting down, Serah rubbed her face. She was tired. So very tired.
Tired of looking over her shoulder for someone to avenge her husband. Tired of the looks and suspiscion she recieved from those who were supposed to be her household. Tired of feeling unwanted and disliked.
And very, very tired of having no one to trust. Even so-called friends like John was supposed to be, but who did nothing to help her when she needed it, didn't even bother to defend her honor from one who would be so... un-gentlemanly.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Ko T'suno

Evelyn lifted her head when Lilith entered, dark eyes flashing dangerously. “Get out.” She hissed while the other spoke. She moved to push herself off the bed when the younger woman left, probably divine providence driving her out of arm’s reach of her sister. The elder princess glanced at her fine mirror now laying in pieces on the floor. She glared at them, knowing full well her temper was getting out of hand if things were starting to break. She lay back down, no longer crying instead nursing her anger silently as she stared at the wall. Some small, black part of her wished Lilith would perish or run off with someone. Her father was still plenty young enough to marry again and have more children to look after The Summer House. Maybe they’d be better behaved…

Her eyes sharpened when Tristan’s wispy voice reached her ears, as well as a pressure at the end of her bed. She didn’t lift her head, instead hiding it in her arms to keep up the appearance of weeping. Much better to have sympathy then have to fight someone else tonight, especially someone her father wanted to bed. She thought on his question for a moment, trying to swallow down what she really wanted to say. “She ruins everything. And you let her. We aren’t like you, women have to maintain certain behaviors. Your father could find you a wife with his eyes closed, it’s differently to two women who will inherit great power, especially since our Father is the first King in our family line. I won’t have her behavior ruin my chances or hers for a good match.” She stared at the wall and noticed the flower vase in the corner of her room was cracking slightly. How annoying.

She peeked over her shoulder at Tristan, glad there was still some wetness on her cheeks. “You two should marry. You can let her run wild in your woods and you can visit my father anytime you want.” She rested her head on her pillows. “Leave me. If anyone saw you come in here they’ll call me a whore.” She had not the energy to deal with this.

city-of-bones-clarissa-fray-clary-fray-gif-Favim.com-1587961.gif

Lilith Monroe Fairway- "I am young, yes, but what I have learned is that love, the beauty of it, the joy of it, and yes, even the pain of it, is the most incredible gift to give and to receive as a human being. And we deserve to experience love fully, equally, without shame and without compromise."

Everything seemed to happen, all at once. Eyes of brown, with flecks of gold and green stared at the arriving members. Some of Tristan's Guards, and then Arren. It was too crowded, Lilith didn't want to be there anymore. All she wanted, was to be alone. But that isn't going to happen, at least not right now. It didn't take long before she was pulled behind Robert after being told of who the stranger was, this was the second time today that somebody had decided to grab her arm. She wasn't a doll.

Then came the pleading.

She didn't need to be told a second time, as she walked back over to her stead, pulling herself onto its back and softly kicked, telling Midnight to go. She bypassed everyone, and quickly moved through the front gate. It took only minutes before she, and Midnight, were back inside the Royal stables and Lilith was bringing her horse back into the small place for the night. She stepped inside the stable, with her horse, and sat down in one f the corners. She could calm down here, with the soft whines of Midnight and other horses. She let out a soft sigh, not wanting to go back into her home. Well, she could always just walk around the kingdom, but if something happened again, people wouldn't be very happy with her.

Seconds, Minutes passed by, finally making her decision. She just stood up and simply walked out of the Stables, walking over to the front entrance, and stepped inside. She just acted calm, somewhat happy, as if nothing had happened. There was no point in being so dramatic anyways, so she just found a random noble and began to dance with him. Lilith didn't recognize him, and she would have normally asked who he was, but he was talking the night away. Which, was quite nice. She didn't have to talk, he did. He made her feel a bit better, a small smile forming onto her lips.

The dance ended too soon for her, he moved off to another girl, and she did the same. Lilith didn't see her sister, nor Tristan, or anyone else. They were probably busy, which allowed her to get her mind off of everything. Her Father was most likely busy too, and he most likely wouldn't come back out until whatever problem was solved.

Most had left, only few nobles and others were dancing. It wasn't as crowded, which was nice, but quite.. Boring too. Lilith liked the music now, it was much louder than before, since not as many people were talking over each other, no more screaming, yelling. Her mind, whilst dancing, got distracted over the events of the night. So, it was a bit more exciting, yet not the kind of the Excitement that she'd enjoyed for so many years. It wasn't fun, but interesting. Evelyn never went off like that, and she'd stay low for a while, until she got what she wanted.

giphy.gif

Mattowick

He raised an eyebrow as the princess merely climbed atop her horse and left. Where she went, he did not know, nor did he have the time to care.

"Well lads, it looks like your princess if off and about, it would be wise that you keep up with her, Yes? I myself have matters to attend to, and a festivity to attend. If your superior gives you trouble over this, do tell that I will take full responsibility when I get there."

He exchanged a few words with his men surreptitiously and after quickly nodding they ran off with haste somewhere else, their hounds following in tandem. The Baron turned to the other men of which he presumed to be preparing to leave.

"Sir Arren Graesson, was it? A quick word with you if time allows."

Arren almost fumed with anger, as Maehel instructed him and Robert to leave. She; a woman, and a warrior not of the Kings knights was attempting to command him? He almost snapped at her, but Robert spoke to Lilith. Before anyone could further reproach her, the princess fled the scene. The knight turned and glared at Maehel, incredulous.

"We will return to her majesty." He said, his back to the houndmaster. "Lady Maehel, I assume you can resolve this matter and refrain from impaling our friend." He finished, his voice perfectly level. Had they not been in the presence of another dignified man, he would've shouted at her. He turned in surprise when Mattowick requested to speak with him.

"Sirs Robert and Sypher, Lady Maehel - Please return to the party. I shall return soon." He pulled his blade from the earth and cleaned the dirt with the inner folds of his cape. He sheathed it as he walked to his steed, tethering her reigns to a tree branch. He turned and approached the man. "I again state my apologies, sir."

Reactions: VengefulPeanut
“She ruins everything. And you let her. We aren't like you, women have to maintain certain behaviors. Your father could find you a wife with his eyes closed, it’s differently to two women who will inherit great power, especially since our Father is the first King in our family line. I won’t have her behavior ruin my chances or hers for a good match.”
Was all he heard for a moment the words ringing in his head as he turned his head and looked back at Evelyn with a slight look of confusion on his face...His smile scrunching slightly to the left as he thought over what she had just said to him.
“How does she ruin everything, and how do I let her? I allow everyone to be themselves around me. If wild and carefree is Lilith's true self, who are we to say no to that? If a man can not accept her for who she is truthfully then I don’t believe they are meant to be a match. The same goes for you Eve. Piss on what others have to say. You are to be Queen someday. No One says you have to have a husband, to be a Queen...” He rolled on. His eyes returning to the door as he talked.
“You two should marry. You can let her run wild in your woods and you can visit my father anytime you want.” “I don’t think that would be accepted….well by any of the Nobles of your realm. Plus……”
“Leave me. If anyone saw you come in here they’ll call me a whore.”
“Why would they do that, you and Lil are the two closest female relatives I have outside of the Gethenwoods. But very well. Maybe the issue isn't what you think about Lil, maybe its what you think others will think.
He ended his retort with a soft inhale as he got up and walked towards the door. Turning back around as he stepped through the door frame. He said nothing only a soft sigh and a gentle shake of his head as he continued on his way out of the room, shutting the door behind him with a soft click.
“Does she not know….hm.” He said softly to himself as he walked down the hall and turned towards the main hall. The sounds had died down he noticed as he entered the room. “Where is……Lilith?” He spoke to himself as he saw her dancing with the other nobles who had remained in the great hall….Placing his smile back on he looked around glad to see Lilith had returned alright...but where was everyone else who had left after her...Robert, Arren and Maehel were all still gone...Part of him wanted to ask Lilith where they were but she seemed to be enjoying herself for the moment and after what had happened with her and Evelyn...He didn't want to disturb her. After few moments he walked out of the hall and down to the stables. Two of his guards taking their places at his sides.

“Maehel and Sypher’s horses are missing.” One whispered to Tristan as they walked down to the stables. “They should be returning shortly Maehel went only to keep eyes on the Princess, no?” The other added as they stood inside the stables. “Exactly which means she should already be here.” Tristan finished as he looked around the stables. Other horses were missing as well. Probably Robert and Arren’s horses, but yet Lilith had returned home alone. He looked around once more before walking out of the stables. His guards again on his sides as he seemed to glide across the grounds back towards the Palace when the faint sounds of Horses in the distance stopped him on his way to question Lilith.

. "My lady, please return to the castle with myself and Sir Arren. This clearly isn't an isolated place for quiet contemplation anymore. If you must find solace for some time then the Knight's quarters or the battlements will more than adequately suit your needs while all of the attention turns to the party. Please," She heard Robert speak to Lilith.
It was true, their moment of peace and contemplation had been shattered..but Meahel had hoped only to remain an unseen observer. She had never thought about how these two had felt about their moment being smashed by the events that had played out. But she never expected for Liith to just ride off on her own like that. Did she not know that after an event like that it showed a weakness in their defensive plans for her to just ride off on her own. But at least she had her time alone on the ride back.

"Well lads, it looks like your princess if off and about, it would be wise that you keep up with her, Yes? I myself have matters to attend to, and a festivity to attend. If your superior gives you trouble over this, do tell that I will take full responsibility when I get there."
She heard the Baron say...Thus drawing her attention off of her thoughts and back to him and his hounds.
We will return to her majesty." He said, his back to the houndsman. "Lady Maehel, I assume you can resolve this matter and refrain from impaling our friend."
“Sir Maehel.” She corrected him. And no I find my reason for being away from my Liege is riding off. Deal with it yourself. Our Friend? No your friend. Thgink Sselesu.” She finished. Her tone was steady and it was obvious she was displeased by something.
"Sir Arren Graesson, was it? A quick word with you if time allows."
“Sloof..” She whispered to herself after hearing the Baron request Arren to stay behind.
"
Sirs Robert and Sypher, Lady Maehel - Please return to the party. I shall return soon."
"
I again state my apologies, sir."
“Again It is Sir Maehel and Lord Sypher will do as he pleases. I would advise you return to the palace with us. It will look very bad should your Princess return alone and then we too return missing another member.” She returned..Her tone holding a touch of venom.
“Sir Robert, will you ride with me, I wish to speak to you…”
She asked, looking at Robert through the hood of her cloak. “Essera.” She called, a horse’s neighing was the only reply as her stead trotted it’s way through the other side of the clearing up to her, it hadn't come yet to a complete stop when Sir Maehel jumped up onto her black saddle. She looked back to Robert and gestured him to follow. “Lord Sypher, If you're still here... Pleasant eve to you. She called out. Knowing he alone knew her meaning. Her gaze returned back at the Baron and Arren, her dagger throwing eyes hidden under the hooded cloak she wore. She

Hopefully had Robert decided to join her she would look over to him before speaking. “I beg your forgiveness Sir Robert. We had not plan on the Houndsmen and Arren’s involvement. We had hoped to have remained unnoticed. You seemed to have had things under control.” She spoke in a warmer tone to him then she had to both Arren and the Baron. Her thought were then pulled to Sypher...She was not worried about his safety or well being, she was worried about if he would enjoy himself in these woods for the night...After all the two woods were similar and for a moment back there she was sure Sypher had forgotten that they were out of their home woods, but only for a moment. She had.

Garlen Mattowick

The Houndmaster shrugged off the lady's particularly baseful and toxic comments, and watched her mount her horse and trot off. She had come into his land and raised arms at him, somehow that incipid brain of hers allowed her to think it logical that he was at fault, but he saw no point in conversing with gibbering foreigners. His disdainful countenance shifted to a respectful grin as he turned to the knight. ( Not that he could see it under his helm anyways. )

"You seem like a reasonable and honest lad, reminds me of myself in the days of my youth."

He would glance to his left and right as if he were being watched, all that could be heard at that moment would be the brush of a gentle breeze making contact with the trees ahead, and the bristling of leaves.

"Listen here, lad...I have but a favor to ask of you, one that I believe I can trust you with."

He took a sharp breath and leaned forward before continuing, the air grew tenser, the forest grew eerily still as if it was leaning in, trying to listen. His voice was slightly close to a whisper.

"I have many enemies, at home and abroad, much like the king of which you serve. I would like you to take this missive and give it to King only AFTER the party ends, I bid you..do not look at it, do not even think about it, for there is much at stake here, for me and your lord."

He pulled out a letter covered in a wax stamp of a hound and handed it to the knight. If one looked closely, one could almost say that his hand was shaking, but it happened so quickly that would could not say for sure.

He stepped back and straightened up, the atmosphere grew lighter

"Well then lad, if the festivities still go on, and the wine still flows, I would be charmed to pay them a visit, I do wish to speak with the other nobles on some unrelated matters."

Behind him one of his houndkeepers arrived on a horse, in one of his hands he held another reigns leading the Baron's personal steed, a neatly kept thoroughbred quarter horse with a black leather saddle. The Houndmaster would take the reigns and promptly mount his own horse, beginning to head towards the palace.

"Come now Sir Graesson, lets not keep your lord waiting any longer."

-Robert Bowman, Knight of the Kings Guard-

Whether it was something that Robert had said wrong he wasn't sure, but the second he asked her to accompany himself and Arren back to the castle Lilith moved back to her horse and blazed off into the night with a purpose. At least she seemed to be heading in the direction of the castle which caused Robert some small feeling of relief. Alas, that small pocket of benevolent emotion was over-ruled by the swelling worry in his gut. "M'Lady!" he called out after her, his voice dropping away as she sped into the darkness. "God help me," he mumbled to himself angrily as he kicked the dirt with his steel boot.

"Well lads, it looks like your princess is off and about, it would be wise that you keep up with her, Yes? I myself have matters to attend to, and a festivity to attend. If your superior gives you trouble over this, do tell that I will take full responsibility when I get there," He heard the Baron say. There was something about his high-spoken, patronising tone that really grated on Robert. However, it was no place for a Knight to call out a high-born, so he gritted his teeth and stomached it. The Baron had seem to taken a liking to Arren, at least. Maybe the two could go off into the woods holding hands and everyone could forget they had one of the most problematic princesses in the world to look after. Robert's mind stopped there. That bitterness wasn't healthy and he couldn't help but be understanding to both Lilith and Evelyn's predicament. There was one person Arren hadn't seemed to have rubbed the right way, however, and Robert turned to face Maehel with a raised eyebrow as she spat vicious words at his fellow knight in a foreign tongue. It was surprising to see such rage from a woman of her background and stature and seeing Arren kick the hornet's nest with his unfortunate choice of words was quite amusing to the young, blonde-haired Knight.

Arren made his way away with the Barren for god knows whatever reason as Maehel tossed them both a venomous glare. Robert's eyes and stance shifted back to Arren once he had done observing the swordmistress. "Do not dally too long, Arren. Our charge has headed in the opposite direction, remember? We must return to the castle with haste." As much as his words sounded serious and commanding, Robert passed Arren a warm and understanding smile. He had, after all, managed to expertly defuse the volatile situation so credit had to be awarded where it was due. As Robert headed towards his horse to mount up, Maehel approached him.

"Sir Robert, will you ride with me? I wish to speak to you…" Her eyes looked straight into his from under her hood.

"Of course. And please, just Robert. I'm not really one for awarding titles and pomp to myself, if you don't mind," he replied earnestly with a sincere smile. He proceeded through the woods to his mount while his new companion said her momentary farewells to her concealed comrade. The ride back was rather peaceful. The serene night gave host to the hooting of owls and the gentle billowing of the breeze. Robert cast his eyes upwards to admire the full map of stars laid out before him like floating lanterns against an onyx ceiling. He'd always found the stars incredibly beautiful. Their mysterious nature combined with how they were so out of reach appealed to his sense of adventure and the mysticism surrounding them appealed to his romantic side.

"I beg your forgiveness, Sir Robert. We had not planned on the Houndsman and Arren's involvement. We had hoped to remain unnoticed. You seemed to have had things under control," Maehel spoke, her warm voice dragging Robert from his idle state. He smiled to himself at her apology before casting his eyes back to the sky.

"Don't ponder on it, Sir Maehel. Just know that for the future Lilith is a lot like a flower. She is very beautiful and delicate, but she is also complex and beyond our understanding of existence. I've learned that when one goes out to pick flowers they should be plucked softly from the ground and not yanked. I guess, amongst my rhetoric, what I'm trying to say is Lilith requires the softer touch when it comes to dealing with her. If a similar situation should present itself in the future then just let what will be, be. She does so loath armies running around her ankles. Luckily for me, my job titles demand that I accomplish such a feat..." his last sentenced trailed off as he turned his head to look straight to his acquaintance, "I'm rambling, I apologise. What's important is that you don't worry about it. This situation has resolved itself with nobody harmed so it is best left in the past." As he trotted along on his steed, he dipped his head slightly realising how much he had just spoken nonsense. Not long to the castle now, Robert. You can't have made it too awkward, at least.

Last edited:
"Don't ponder on it, Sir Maehel. Just know that for the future Lilith is a lot like a flower. She is very beautiful and delicate, but she is also complex and beyond our understanding of existence. I've learned that when one goes out to pick flowers they should be plucked softly from the ground and not yanked. I guess, amongst my rhetoric, what I'm trying to say is Lilith requires the softer touch when it comes to dealing with her. If a similar situation should present itself in the future then just let what will be, be. She does so loath armies running around her ankles. Luckily for me, my job titles demand that I accomplish such a feat..."
“Hmm a flower you say..sounds familiar. Ew era neket?..Elbar-aoda…. She spoke, the last part of her sentence fading as she realised what she had just asked him. “Well lets hope you are well retained for a flower needs to be constantly maintained..and I can see what you mean, no flower loves the feet of war around them.” She added before noticing him looking at her. His comment about their understanding of existence had caused a smile to creep upon her face. She was now obviously aware that Robert was unaware of her full awareness of existence. Her life in the Gethenwoods was full of dark and light aspects of creation that stalked the ancient forests. But Robert needn't know of the events inside the Gethenwoods.

"I'm rambling, I apologise. What's important is that you don't worry about it. This situation has resolved itself with nobody harmed so it is best left in the past." She looked at him from the corner of her eye and nodded as he dipped his head.
“Looks like it is my turn to say do not worry about it. Tristan and Lord Sypher do the same thing though Sypher tends to rant about things and Tristan just rambles at times…” She replied with a light laugh, hoping to lighten up Roberts mood.
It wasn't long before they came off the path and were heading towards the stables her eyes catching the movement of Tristan and two of the other guards as they made their way back towards the palace only to come to a stop as she assumed Tristan heard their horses coming up.

“Seems our untimely arrival has been noticed, wouldn’t you say?” She asked as she gestured to Tristan who was now making his way back towards them as they entered the Stables.

Upon entering the stables she whispered something to her horse and promptly jumped off of her moving stead and landed in a kneeled position that she retained as Tristan came forward. Her stead tossed it’s head a bit as it’s rider swiftly dismounted, but it kept on it’s path as it went and joined the rest of the large black steeds of their party.

“Esir. What took you two so long and why is Sir Arren not with you?” A pause came then a soft. “Where is Sypher?” Tristan sounded a tad worried.

Standing she said nothing for a moment..

Arren Graesson
LCfhPoj.jpg

"I am certain I can complete such a task, Sir Mattowick." He said, nodding with a slight smile. He reached into the folds of his cloak and tucked the missive into his belt. He mounted his steed and rode alongside the houndmaster. While his posture and speech were unshakable, his thoughts ran about his head. Is Tristan really bold enough to knight a woman who would call herself equal to men? Arren silently disagreed with himself there had to be more to it... he chided himself for such prideful thoughts. If Lilith has taught you anything, it is that women are unpredictable. It was true, of course. Arren could read the face with almost unrivaled skill. He'd trained himself to see through deception. However, no amount of training could teach you the inner-workings of one's mind.

Though he wouldn't admit it even at swordpoint, he slightly admired Maehel's confidence and her resolve. They way she carried herself was with dignity, not of someone trying to prove her worth. It was obvious that she knew her worth and was pleased with it.

As they reached the palace gates, the gatekeeper stepped forward, but Arren waved him aside. "About your buisness." He commanded, and the man scrambled back to his post. The knight looked to the Houndmaster and bowed his head. "I shall rejoin you in the party hall, Sir Mattowick." He reigned his horse towards the castle stables, his eyes falling upon Tristan, Robert, and Maehel.

He walked dismounted his horse at the mouth of the stables, leading her in by the reigns. She whinnied softly, slightly unnerved by the other people. "Calm, Lilian." He whispered, stroking her mane. The horse followed him as he lead her to the farthest stall on the left. He turned to the group, addressing Duke Tristan. "Forgive my tardiness, Duke Tristan. I was delayed."

-Robert Bowman, Knight of the Kings Guard-

"Looks like it is my turn to say do not worry about it. Tristan and Lord Sypher do the same thing though Sypher tends to rant about things and Tristan just rambles at times…"

Robert gave a warm smile to accompany her soft laugh. As the conversation died away, he returned to admiring the scenery and eventually scanning the dark alleyways as they rode through the town. It seemed that some habits were slightly hard to break and relaxation wasn't something that came easy to a man in his situation and line of work. As the duo rode through the gates to the main palace and towards the stables, it seemed there was a welcoming party awaiting them.

"Seems our untimely arrival has been noticed, wouldn’t you say?" Maehel spoke, gesturing towards the approaching Duke and his accompanying guards.

"It seems so," Robert spoke simply, yet warmly, in return.

"Esir. What took you two so long and why is Sir Arren not with you? Where is Sypher?" Duke Tristan began as he reached the pair, his tone laden with concern and worry. Robert folded his sword arm around his abdomen and gave a polite bow as Maehel rose to her feet.

"I'm afraid we ran into quite the predicament involving Garlen Mattowick," Robert began in a calming tone, "You needn't worry, Duke Tristan. All is well." He took a moment to readjust himself and make sure he was presentably looking for court before giving Tristan an inquisitive look. "Sorry to be a bother, Duke Tristan, but did Princess Lilith return here?" he asked. Before his question could be answered, however, the clip-clopping of hooves against the paved floor caused all eyes to turn inquisitively to their source. Entering the stables was Arren, who dismounted and approached with an apology.

"Forgive my tardiness, Duke Tristan. I was delayed."

• Love
Reactions: Ko T'suno
Charlie ruffled little Bellamy's hair as he told his cousin, "Lets get you out of prying eyes." Elizabeth nodded her agreement as she glanced back at Francis realizing he was fascinated with one of the decorated pillars in the ballroom. Shaking her head, she left him to do whatever he felt. There wasn't much more he could say to people and he was drunk, would they really believe him? Well it was royal court, so there was a strong yes, but she hoped not. Following after Charlie, she realized they weren't going in the direction of her chambers. Showing her concern, she asked, "Where are we going?" Setting little Bellamy on his feet, she gripped the five year old's hand tightly as she finally realized their intended direction, "Charlie! Are you insane? Why are we going toward's the king's chambers? There are guards everywhere!"

Charlie smirked as he pulled a pouch from his pocket, "It's called gold and we aren't actually going inside, we're just going to listen to his conversation with Elric. We don't need Elric spilling secrets about the north."

"Why do you care about the north anyway? You have been living in Paris for over ten years." Elizabeth showed her frustration with Charlie by letting out a huff. Little Bell scrunched up his face in confusion as he asked, "Mommy? Why don't you live in Paris? With me, daddy, and uncle Charlie? Where is the north anyways?"

Elizabeth frowned as she looked down at her child, "Hush now, little one. I'll explain everything when you're older." She leaned down and kissed the top of his head as she followed Charlie up to the door of Maximus's chambers where two guards stood. He knew they were loyal to the king, so he figured it wouldn't just be gold to get them away. Speaking in a hushed tone to the guards, Elizabeth watched in amazement as Charlie worked his charms and passed the gold over. Once they were out of earshot, Elizabeth asked, "How did you..."

"You're gonna have some fun tonight, Elizabeth." Charlie winked as he let out a soft chuckle as he pressed his ear to the door. Elizabeth's mouth fell open as she threw her hands up into the air, asking, "Are we two? And what do you mean by fun-Oh." Glaring at him, she slapped the back of his head.

"Hush it will you. We'll miss everything." Charlie shot a scowl at Elizabeth before presuming his eavesdropping.

Elric

Elric squinted in confusion as Maximus handed him the letter. He took it within his large hands and sat down across from the king. His chin rested in his fingers as he read. As he finished reading, his heart sank. Lady Clad was a nice woman, he had always thought. There had always been something about her that caught him off guard, but he couldn't say he was surprised at her husband's death. The man had been a personal tyrant, in Elric's opinion. One of the only men of the North that he didn't appreciate. That's not to say that the Duke believed that it was best that the man was dead, just that he thought it would be much sooner than what it was.

He leaned forward and put the letter on the table between them and took in Maximus's words. It would not be wise for the King to gain control of Nacht's Reach, or any part of the North for that matter. It wasn't a place for men who preferred finer weather. Still, he knew that although the King was asking his advice, it probably wouldn't be heeded. The man was king after all and Elric knew of his desire and will to get what he wanted. He sat in silence for a moment, mulling over his thoughts. If need be, Elric could marry the girl. That would kill two birds with one stone. One, he wouldn't have to look for a wife anymore and two, it would keep the King away from the North. Still, marrying Lady Clad would also keep Elric away from the kingdom, if the chance to marry a royal princess was given to him. He wasn't exactly sure how much that meant to him, if it meant anything at all.

Trusting Maximus was not something that Elric was inclined to do, but he was King and had treated Elric with no ill-will. "Your Grace, I believe that you should do whatever you wish. Lady Clad is a beautiful girl, if I may say so. If you can stomach her brother, then you may survive it," Elric laughed. "Bjarke is a beast of a man. I don't even wish to face him in an arm-wrestling match."

He kept his tone light, truly meaning the joke in good taste. Surely Maximus would understand and not take it as an insult. He never seemed to be the type to let things offend him. Especially things of little substance.

((I'll get around to editing it and making it look fancy. Just wanted to get it up. Sorry for the delay. Going through a rough time.))

Rolfe

Rolfe laughed, an actual genuine laugh as he glanced to the little girl that had went unnoticed by him when he entered. "She's growing like a weed," the man remarked, his smile wrinkling around his eyes. "How old is she now? Ten?" Rolfe assumed so. The fit that she threw was telling enough. Yes, he acted just like his own daughter when she was that age. The momentary brightness in his eyes faded.

He watched that one of the guards led the young girl out. She would grow up to be a great beauty. His smile was sad, but when he was brought back to earth by a personal question, Rolfe turned back and forced a small laugh.

"Could be better, Could be worse. You know how that goes," the man answered obscurely. Truthfully, things were going downhill for the man. Day after day he seemed to lose his influence and control. He tried to pull back the reins, but soon he knew that he would either need to embrace the ride or fall off the horse. Rolfe watched as a darkness passed over John's face as he thought about something

The Lord was about to ask if he was alright before a servant came by and Lady Clad finally found her tongue. He turned in her direction. Did the creature not know that it was rude to interrupt? His eyes stared daggers into her, but her threat was meaningless. Elric would never get rid of him. He forced a smile. "Of course, my Lady. I would hate to insult a woman such as yourself. They say that your lot can be rather deadly." He watched her turn and leave, wondering if he had caught her remark. It was quite apparent that the woman was a snake. Whether she struck true or aimlessly was another matter.

Rolfe cleared his throat and turned to John. "Shall we go? I imagine the great beast is getting rather antsy." He was talking about Bjarke, of course. Though he hated the man, he didn't want to make him impatient. He knew how to pick his battles and the large man was not one of them.

[BCOLOR=transparent]
[BCOLOR=inherit]Once Lady Clad was out of sight, John turned to Rolfe and said softly as for he didn't want any of the men loyal to Rolfe to hear, "You will not speak to her in that way in my presence. Her brother may be an animal, but she is a lady by birth and by marriage. That gives all the more reason for you to respect her. I respect you and I would hope you respect me enough to respect my wishes. I will see you in the meeting." With that, John turned on his heel going up to the meeting room. He wasn't looking forward to the meeting and knew the question of what to do with [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Serah[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] was on everyone's minds. Who would she marry? Surely not a southerner, that would be a death sentence for all the north. An alliance with a southern lord? What had they stooped too? Could they trust their king to make the right decision?[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[BCOLOR=inherit]Taking his seat across [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Bjarke[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] and a few seats down from [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Serah[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], he glanced down at her with a nod as if to say he handled the situation with [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Rofle[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. As a man he should have never spoke to her in that way. In the pit of his stomach, John felt bad about not defending her when she was standing there, but he still had, so that counted for something right? [/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[BCOLOR=inherit]"Lord [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Clayburn[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], I apologize if I'm interrupting, but your brother is here." Tyra stepped to the side, bowing her head as Bellamy walked into the meeting room. John looked up at Tyra nodding his thanks as she left the room. It was strange to her to be travelling with John and not Elizabeth. She missed her friend and wanted nothing more than to be with the woman at that moment. At least Royal Court was somewhat safer than Nacht's Reach, at least from a woman's perspective. [/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[BCOLOR=inherit]Looking to his brother, he could only wonder why he was here. Had things changed up in Clarke that he didn't know about? Bellamy bowed to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Bjarke[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Serah[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] before taking his seat next to John, saying, "Francis broke off his engagement. I have reason to believe he went to court to find Elizabeth." Looking to John so he would understand what meant, John's eyes widened in fear. What would happen if the members of court and possibly the royal family find out about Elizabeth's child?[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]
[BCOLOR=inherit]Rubbing the back of his neck, John answered, "I guess it's time the rest of the north knows our sister's secret. At least we can figure something out about the situation. Elizabeth is acting as Duchess until you remarry. We don't need rumors surrounding our family as they already are."[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]

Marcella Petri

It was the first week of summer and Marcella Petri was spending it tucked away in a corner of the palace playing with her glass of wine. It was a miracle in itself how she'd gotten in the palace without a legitimate invitation. She had found that carrying the confident air of a noble who expected, no, knew that this event was for her was more than enough to fool the guards at the main entrance. Of course, being there at rush hour along with flashing the fake invitation Father Terenzio had hastily made had helped her as well. Marcella resisted the urge to scratch her itchy head as she surveyed the area. Though the scenery, grand as it was, didn't help the blond wig digging into her scalp it did help her with her tasked mission of finding a vampire in the court.

It might have sounded like a preposterous thing to outsiders but to Marcella, who rooted out undead priests and forest wyrms, it wasn't implausible to believe that a vampire would reside in the king's court. After all, there had been rumours dealing with the king's allegedly pagan worship and if the king himself was suspected to be a heathen then nobody was exempt from their scrutiny. Marcella fingered her rosary beads nervously. It had been around three weeks or so since she'd been tasked with this mission and today was the first time she was following a lead. A letter had come from Terenzio and Marcella knew she had to stop stalling at one point or another. You only need to find the vampire's identity, she reminded herself. After all, she hadn't been able to bring any of her armour or weapons due to the nature of the party.

The music picked up pace and couples began streaming into the center, breaking into small dances along the way. Marcella herself remained seated and viewed each person with a careful eye. There were none that particularly jumped out at her and soon she found herself being distracted with other things in the room, such as the absence of anything indicating the king's faith. It was strange that he would allow his decor to feed even more fuel to the flame that was his pagan rumour. Absentmindedly, she pulled at the dry hairs of her wig causing it to slip and fall over her eyes. "Oh!" Though Marcella was quick to right her mistake she wondered if anyone had had the time to see her deception. She wondered if she should have perhaps masqueraded as a duke of some sort instead. Marcella certainly had the experience playing a man during her time with Terenzio... and perhaps that was why she had shied away from that option. At any rate, it was time to move on. It was never too safe to stay in one place and Marcella began making her way towards another spot on the floor, untouched drink in hand.

Bjarke and Ÿrd's conversation took on a serious note as the others arrived in the council chamber. Bjarke smirked at his sister as she took the seat of the Lord of Nacht's Reach. It seemed funny to him that she would be in such a powerful position, then again nothing else could have suited her better. However his sister did seem to be in somewhat of a huff, he didnt know but he suspected one of his men had done something foolish. He watched as John Clayburn entered the room, the pair exchanged brief glances. Bjarke saw the Clayburns servant girl enter the room and adjusted himself in his seat, she was beautiful to Bjarke's eyes. Blonde hair and blue eyes, her skin was fair, unkissed by the southern sun but tempered by the Northern winds. The green dress she wore was that of a servant but it fell well around her, almost giving her the impression of a lady.

Ÿrd noticed Bjarke's excitement at seeing the lady and cleared his throat a bit to remind Bjarke where he was and the responsibilities he had here. But before Bjarke could give Ÿrd a few carefully chosen obscenities in a whisper the boyish looking Bellamy Clayburn entered the room. Though Bellamy was older Bjarke always saw him as a younger spirit.

"Hello Bellamy, glad to have you with us," Bjarke said, noticeably Rolfe entered the room and took his seat under the Pinecliff Banner.

Last edited:
Such a sweet man, this Elric. My Evey would devour him whole…Maximus listened while the other man spoke, nodding and smiling at his little joke. And though he knew Elric was playing cautiously, the King saw the barest hint of protest in his eye. A normal man would not catch such a things, hell perhaps even a human shouldn’t have been able to catch such a thing, but Maximus knew. He picked the missive back up and passed it between his fingers, folding it a few times then unfolding it, as though deep in thought. “Thank you, Duke Elric. I will need time to think on this, so please return to the festivities or find your bed.” He stood and gripped the other man’s forearm, a warrior’s shake. Maximus strode towards the chamber door but paused without reason and stared intently at knob, though Elric would not see this behind him. Maximus turned back over his shoulder. “I know you asked Evelyn to dance, but I must tell you, I think the younger would be a better choice. If you should ask for her hand and she consent, I would happily give her to you, Elric.” He took a few more steps and smiled. “But I know the heart is a strange, fleshy thing. If you should rather take a girl of the North, I would take no offense.” He smiled and turned, striding back to the door. He opened with measured slowness then pushed it out. He peered left and right, noting his guards were no where to be seen but that there appeared to be no one else. “Good night, Duke Elric.” He smiled once more and strode away.

The King briefly returned to the festivities, though the party had dwindled down significantly. He said his good nights then gestured sharply for Illia, who slipped to his side like a dark serpent. “Did anything of note take place?” The woman leaned subtly into his ear. She’d been watching, she’d been listening. The King’s eyebrows raised but he said nothing, patting the girl and striding for his chambers. He'd need to have a talk with his guard in the morn. Once there he shut and locked the door. He undressed, eyes dark and calculating.

Whatever.

Would.

He.

Do?

He gazed at himself in the mirror, locked eyes with his reflection, and tested his smile. Smooth as ever. He strode to his writing desk and began to pen a letter in dark, flourishing text. He’d send in the morning, and the raven who carried it would bare the fate of half the kingdom on its wings.

giphy.gif

Bjarke looked around the table and stood, nodding to each lord and all those around them. He cleared his throat and spoke in the voice of his father, strong and proud. The voice of a Northern Lord.

"Let there be no further distractions and let us perform our duties as Lords and SurLords of the Northern Houses. We are pressed with the issues of rumors of the kings demonic ways and how we are to meet them, trade discussions between us and the South, trade between our own Northern Houses and of course the issue of my sister's hand in marriage."

With those last words Bjarke put some venom in his voice. Any fool who would try to marry her to someone Bjarke did not approve of would no doubt be met with a large dagger in their throat. Bjarke continued and decided to speak first for Clad's Keep.

"House Clad requests more iron, bronze and coal from House Clayburn. Also some small amount of wheat and barley will be needed from HosuePinecliff. My father has given me permission to offer whatever is needed in exchange for these shipments and so I shall exercise such right. If anything is required or needed from House Clad please do so speak now and I will address it."

Bjarke liked using his political voice, made him feel like he would one day rule. He himself was not a ruler. Any man who had met him knew this. He was the kind of man to win the throne, not the kind of man to sit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.