Gender Quotas

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange. I can see how this is unpleasant. At my work place, when one of my female coworkers was flirted with, she was allowed to ask the person in question to stop. They did not stop. My manager came out and told them to fuck off.

... I like my manager.

Also, the only objective is to get money from the customer. Once that's done, you don't have to give a shit once they leave. If they keep coming back, and refuse to stop, you can file legal recourse over that, and if your manager fires you, you can sue them for that. You can't fire someone for trying to protect their own privacy/well-being. At least, it's wrong in Canada to do so, anyway.
See, I work as a receptionist at a nursing home. I also normally work during evenings or on weekends, where there's fuckin' no one around except me. I am required to be open and friendly with everyone at all times, until they start threatening me, and even then I have to try my damndest to be polite about it (unless it's like, physical violence, then I call the police and lock up.) I have brought this up, and have been told just to laugh it off, because it's just innocent flirting. I mean, I have to endure a bunch of abuse from other people about other shit, so I'm not surprised that this is treated as lightly as it is. The only time there was recourse was when some dude took photos of me without permission and hi-tailed it out of there. Even then, it was just a Talking To.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth
See, I work as a receptionist at a nursing home. I also normally work during evenings or on weekends, where there's fuckin' no one around except me. I am required to be open and friendly with everyone at all times, until they start threatening me, and even then I have to try my damndest to be polite about it (unless it's like, physical violence, then I call the police and lock up.) I have brought this up, and have been told just to laugh it off, because it's just innocent flirting. I mean, I have to endure a bunch of abuse from other people about other shit, so I'm not surprised that this is treated as lightly as it is. The only time there was recourse was when some dude took photos of me without permission and hi-tailed it out of there. Even then, it was just a Talking To.
That couldn't be me cause I'd be going off on somebody. Fuck all that shit! It might get me fired but I'm not sacrificing my dignity for no damn job! I would've punched that pervert for taking pics of me!

See, I work as a receptionist at a nursing home.
Oh. You poor bastard. I have a friend who works in a nursing home and she often gets the same treatment.

I get ya now. You have my sympathies. Aside from waggling your finger at people who flirt with you, anything you think could fix it?

Oh. You poor bastard. I have a friend who works in a nursing home and she often gets the same treatment.

I get ya now. You have my sympathies. Aside from waggling your finger at people who flirt with you, anything you think could fix it?
Kick ass and take names so no one will mess with you! That's my suggestion LOL

That couldn't be me cause I'd be going off on somebody. Fuck all that shit! It might get me fired but I'm not sacrificing my dignity for no damn job! I would've punched that pervert for taking pics of me!
I was totally in shock tbh. I had no idea what happened. By the time I realized, he was gone. I was really firm when I talked to my boss, though. She knew I was angry and wanted something done. :I Apparently this guy was a friend of some woman who worked there, and all they did was ask her to talk to him. I got an informal apology from her. That's it. I'm still like, 'wtf happened to those pictures?' Ugh. Guy was a total creep for other reasons, too.

I was totally in shock tbh. I had no idea what happened. By the time I realized, he was gone. I was really firm when I talked to my boss, though. She knew I was angry and wanted something done. :I Apparently this guy was a friend of some woman who worked there, and all they did was ask her to talk to him. I got an informal apology from her. That's it. I'm still like, 'wtf happened to those pictures?' Ugh. Guy was a total creep for other reasons, too.
You could've been a bit more aggressive about it? ^^" I'd tell the woman that if it happened again, I'd beat the living brakes off of him. As for the pictures, he didn't post them on social media did he? That would be problematic D:

Hey @Ozzie Chanter, all that data was awesome. I hope other people was able to take advantage of it to expand their other increasing piles of data and further enrich their lives.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth

Old men are extremely stubborn. There was one horrible old racist (and sexist, blah blah blah) that I did actually tell off, but it just made him worse. He openly sexually objectified every younger woman that he saw. This wasn't just harmless flirting, he would shout sexual comments at you ('what a nice ass,' etc etc) and make other lewd comments. Then sometimes he'd tell me I'd gained weight and I didn't look good, or that he thought I 'looked sexier with lighter hair.' This was a guy that the other staff knew was a problem - because he was a problem in one way or another to everyone - but, like, what could you do? His wife was here for 20+ years. I was told just to try to ignore him.

Worst. I can't really think of anything else. I wish I could say 'sorry I'm a lesbian lol' but I doubt that would go over very well!

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
True, Fauna, but then, he is an old man under your care, so. This complicates it a bit. You're caught between a rock and a hard place, for sure.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with it. Wish I had more to offer than that, but, I don't. No magic life pills here.

True, Fauna, but then, he is an old man under your care, so. This complicates it a bit. You're caught between a rock and a hard place, for sure.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with it. Wish I had more to offer than that, but, I don't. No magic life pills here.
Oh, he wasn't in care here; his wife was. He was just an asshole.

I'm personally impartial either way. ^.^

Old men are extremely stubborn. There was one horrible old racist (and sexist, blah blah blah) that I did actually tell off, but it just made him worse. He openly sexually objectified every younger woman that he saw. This wasn't just harmless flirting, he would shout sexual comments at you ('what a nice ass,' etc etc) and make other lewd comments. Then sometimes he'd tell me I'd gained weight and I didn't look good, or that he thought I 'looked sexier with lighter hair.' This was a guy that the other staff knew was a problem - because he was a problem in one way or another to everyone - but, like, what could you do? His wife was here for 20+ years. I was told just to try to ignore him.

Worst. I can't really think of anything else. I wish I could say 'sorry I'm a lesbian lol' but I doubt that would go over very well!
Pimp slap. That is all you gotta do.

If gender quotas are not the answer to the fact that so many women are complaining of perceived or substantiated discouragement, discrimination, and harassment in their chosen fields, what CAN be done to resolve the issue?
Quota's do nothing to get rid of harassment, discrimination or discouragement.
If anything it let's it flourish because now you have someone let into the work because of their sex, race etc. rather than their skills.
This paints them as a target to be signalled out by everyone who was hired because on their skills.

What would fix it (at least as close as we can without forcing people into fields they don't want) is honestly not having the quotas.
If everyone is hired for their own skill, then they are all equals, there's nothing from it to pull discrimination over.
Any that would happen is an individual being an ass hole, not systematic oppression, and not a knee-jerk reaction to quotas.

It should also be noted in cases such as say race.
In places like America that yes black people are indeed at a disadvantage in many fields.
Not because of their race though, but because that race is more likely to growing in poverty stricken areas.
And then stuff like the Poverty is what leads to less of them getting proper training and education, and as a result more likely to turn to crime, less likely to be hired in ____ field.

Or in the cases of biological sex, it could actually be biological differences.
For obvious ones, woman can get pregnant, men can't, obviously.
This can lead to aspects such as parental or maternity leave, meaning less time in the field, less time for promotions, meaning less woman in certain higher up fields.
Then stuff like different amounts of testosterone, estrogen etc. Hormones with can effect personalities, behaviours, interests etc.
Which can very easily influence one's decision as to which fields to enter.

Or in some cases, be physically fit for.
Like say the fire department, who has strict physical requirements such as strength, height etc.
Requirements that due to biological reasons would give an edge to men, and some races over others.
But no one put them in because of discrimination, they put them in because working as a fireman is often life and death.
And not even for yourself so much but as for other people.

Civilians trapped behind a burning door? Those firemen better have the physical strength to take the door down.
Otherwise people, will, die. Innocent people, so it's not a matter of there just being more of a risk to the firemen who sign up, it's a risk to everyone.
And these biological differences are naturally happening, there's no over-arching system of oppression injecting these into people.

Basically, the Quota's are assuming that any unbalance of workplace representation is the result of someone being sexist or racist.
And ignores factors such as background, living conditions, or simple proven biological differences between the sexes.
So to suggest that the only way to fight against a perceived hiring bias is to legally enforce a hiring bias is completely counter productive.

That moment where you type a reply to the point you forget to click 'next page' to see the rest of the comments. >.<

I'm also drawing a blank there.
Like, I could suggest (ideally, not practically) having the staff go hard on him.
Basically along the lines of "Cut it out or stop coming here".
But at that point that could mean he stops seeing his wife, which granted would be his choice.
However, that wife? That'd just be cruel to inflict on her. :/

Actually, would it be possible to have it so only male staff work around him?
I mean clearly not ideal, but this does sound like a situation where there's no way to solve it completely ideally unless if he wills it so.

@Gen. Gwazi Senpai

I already established earlier in this thread that I am not advocating for quotas because everyone agrees quotas are dumb. My question was not an argument for quotas, but an attempt to discuss potential solutions for this issue: that millions of women feel like there is discrimination, harassment, and assault in the workplace.

You are telling millions of women they are wrong and discounting a great deal of statistics, research, and personal experiences that corroborate that they, at the very least, PERCEIVE a real problem. The articles I've link established that there is, at the least, a problem with sexual harassment that is affecting far more women than men in the workplace.

As far as women not having interest, there is no established link between testosterone and thinking science is fun. Women are, on average, better at language skills and men are, on average, better at spatial relations... but this doesn't stop millions of men from going into language-oriented careers, so the opposite should hold true for women. In point of fact, there is a lot to suggest that women are not only interested in but talented at these subjects, but simply not going into these fields, dropping out of them, or not being promoted. (I also linked several articles and resources on this subject.)

As far as women and the whole pregnancy/maternity leave thing, there's also been research which suggests its a social bias towards women being the primary caregiver rather than anything to do with women's choices or time off. Some key quotes:

Harvard Business Review said:
Time out of the workforce could account for the fact that women are less likely to be in senior positions. After all, it's often argued that because being in senior leadership is directly tied to years of professional experience, women are less likely to be in those roles precisely because they are more likely to have taken such breaks. So we delved deeper, with controls for variables such as age, industry, sector, and organization size, analyzing a range of factors related to family status and parenting, looking for a link to women's lesser representation in top management. But we found no connections. We considered not only whether graduates had gone part-time or taken a career break to care for children, but also the number of times they had done so. We asked about common career decisions made to accommodate family responsibilities, such as limiting travel, choosing a more flexible job, slowing down the pace of one's career, making a lateral move, leaving a job, or declining to work toward a promotion. Women were more likely than men to have made such decisions—but again, none of these factors explained the gender gap in senior management. In fact, both men and women in top management teams were typically more likely than those lower down in the hierarchy to have made career decisions to accommodate family responsibilities. We even looked at whether simply being a parent—aside from any career changes or decisions related to parenting—made a difference. It did not. Again and again, our core finding—HBS alumnae have not attained senior management positions at the same rates as men—persisted.

Harvard Business Review said:
Our survey data and other research suggest that when high-achieving, highly educated professional women leave their jobs after becoming mothers, only a small number do so because they prefer to devote themselves exclusively to motherhood; the vast majority leave reluctantly and as a last resort, because they find themselves in unfulfilling roles with dim prospects for advancement. The message that they are no longer considered "players" is communicated in various, sometimes subtle ways: They may have been stigmatized for taking advantage of flex options or reduced schedules, passed over for high-profile assignments, or removed from projects they once led.

The fact is that even today, people still expect women to be the ones choosing family and childcare time over career time. Which is bullshit and also hurts new fathers who can't get paternity leave. A lot of the time, men don't even get the option. So it's women who are forced to be the ones taking time away from careers. This totally ignores the men willing to take the time off or the men who choose to be stay-at-home dads. According to the Department of Labor, 2 million US men were stay-at-home dads in 2012.

In terms of physical strength, men are physically stronger on average; that's indisputable. And no, I don't think anyone should take a job which requires physical strength and not be able to perform. Seiji's story from earlier in the thread is a good example of why that doesn't work out. It's natural to expect to find more males than females in fields that require brute strength.

But it's not just more men, it's a LOT more men. According to this study by an organization geared toward promoting career opportunities for women, in 2008 women made up:

6.7% of mechanical engineers
2.5% of maintenance workers or repair jobs
1.5% of carpenters
1.4% of plumbers and related careers
1% of electricians
0.4% of masonry jobs

And that's just for example.

With training, people- men or women- can build muscle mass in order to meet physical requirements. A woman with developed muscles might very well outstrip a man who went through the same training, depending on inherent physical structure. No, not every woman will be able to do this, but a good number can and do meet physical requirements for their jobs.

Many manual labor jobs that once required high strength have also been industrialized with machines which mean anyone with training can do the job, so this should not rule out women from these careers.

Now the racial bit is off-topic, but I will say that research shows that while poverty is a big factor into whether PoC get jobs, it's not the only one.

It also seems you've missed one of the key points of my last post:

But other people have seen things that you have not, and telling them that their personal experiences mean jack ain't going to win you any arguments or convince anybody to take your POV into their consideration.

Are millions of women talking about sexual discrimination, harassment and assault significant, or not? If you don't believe in systemic sexism, how do you justify a belief in a systemic reaction to perceived sexism? Why is one a more valid theory than the opposite?

I already established earlier in this thread that I am not advocating for quotas because everyone agrees quotas are dumb. My question was not an argument for quotas, but an attempt to discuss potential solutions for this issue: that millions of women feel like there is discrimination, harassment, and assault in the workplace.
I'm fully aware of this.
But you still posed the question on quotas, so I answered the question.
I never made any claim or allegation that it was your position.

And I did propose a solution, looking at the causes of differences such as poverty, and recognizing biological differences.
You are telling millions of women they are wrong and discounting a great deal of statistics, research, and personal experiences that corroborate that they, at the very least, PERCEIVE a real problem. The articles I've link established that there is, at the least, a problem with sexual harassment that is affecting far more women than men in the workplace.
Keyword: Perceive

I'm focusing on combating actual discrimination and causes of it.
Not on what people want to imagine is happening.

And as far as Sexual Harassment is concerned, that could also be a case of how many get reported.
Even if not, ok that's one point towards female discrimination. But that has nothing to do with Gender Quotas.
As far as women not having interest, there is no established link between testosterone and thinking science is fun. Women are, on average, better at language skills and men are, on average, better at spatial relations... but this doesn't stop millions of men from going into language-oriented careers, so the opposite should hold true for women. In point of fact, there is a lot to suggest that women are not only interested in but talented at these subjects, but simply not going into these fields, dropping out of them, or not being promoted. (I also linked several articles and resources on this subject.)
The Testosterone was a base example to highlight my bigger point of genetic differences.
Now I don't claim to be an expert in that matter so I won't bother debating the precise differences and where they might lead, I was simply saying to be mindful and aware of it's existence.
And how it can lead to a society which is equality of opportunity still having a difference of outcome.

Women also beat men in Social and Biology Sciences, as well as in Education.

And there's a lot to consider for why someone might not pursue a field also.
For example I have an interest in topics such as Science, but I don't plan of becoming a scientist for a living.
While there is also the social bias of men focusing on their work instead of spending time with the kids.
Which would effect the amount of time they take off.

But even if all bias were gone women would still take more time off on average.
Because for men it's strictly personal choice, while with woman part of the time it would be a biological necessity due to the nature of pregnancy, medical complications and how pregnancy can effect performance or safety in specific fields.
The fact is that even today, people still expect women to be the ones choosing family and childcare time over career time. Which is bullshit and also hurts new fathers who can't get paternity leave. A lot of the time, men don't even get the option. So it's women who are forced to be the ones taking time away from careers. This totally ignores the men willing to take the time off or the men who choose to be stay-at-home dads. According to the Department of Labor, 2 million US men were stay-at-home dads in 2012.
So you already acknowledge this.
Then why are you arguing it as a women's issue rather than a human issue?
In terms of physical strength, men are physically stronger on average; that's indisputable. And no, I don't think anyone should take a job which requires physical strength and not be able to perform. Seiji's story from earlier in the thread is a good example of why that doesn't work out. It's natural to expect to find more males than females in fields that require brute strength.

But it's not just more men, it's a LOT more men. According to this study by an organization geared toward promoting career opportunities for women, in 2008 women made up:

6.7% of mechanical engineers
2.5% of maintenance workers or repair jobs
1.5% of carpenters
1.4% of plumbers and related careers
1% of electricians
0.4% of masonry jobs

And that's just for example.

With training, people- men or women- can build muscle mass in order to meet physical requirements. A woman with developed muscles might very well outstrip a man who went through the same training, depending on inherent physical structure. No, not every woman will be able to do this, but a good number can and do meet physical requirements for their jobs.
Agreed.
But once again, I was answering the question on quotas.
I wasn't implying anything of your own personal stance and opinion.

But as far as Quotas would be concerned, they would look at the higher amount of men in these fields, claim discrimination and then start replacing competent workers for incompetent ones.
Many manual labor jobs that once required high strength have also been industrialized with machines which mean anyone with training can do the job, so this should not rule out women from these careers.
If it's truly replaced by Machines then yes that's agreed.

But if there's still aspects, vital ones especially that remain reliant on a individuals strength then such requirements would still be justified.
Now the racial bit is off-topic, but I will say that research shows that while poverty is a big factor into whether PoC get jobs, it's not the only one.
For Gender Quota's specifically, yes.
But the only legalized laws that enforce such Quotas at the moment don't just target sex, they also target race.

And I do agree that element's like poverty aren't the only cause.
But it's a rather big one that Quota's tend to ignore completely.
It also seems you've missed one of the key points of my last post:

But other people have seen things that you have not, and telling them that their personal experiences mean jack ain't going to win you any arguments or convince anybody to take your POV into their consideration.
Like I said earlier, I'm focusing on actual discrimination, not perceived discrimination.
If I focused on trying to take everyone's personal experience into consideration when arguing how to fix this issue we wouldn't get anywhere.

Everyone would clash having experienced things differently, and instead of being able to address the facts we'd be stuck in ideological warfare.
People want to claim stuff like "There is a systematic oppression against ______!" can hate on me all they want for that, never is a human being able to make everyone like them.
But if real change, actual change for the better can be gained out of it then I will consider it a victory.
Are millions of women talking about sexual discrimination, harassment and assault significant, or not? If you don't believe in systemic sexism, how do you justify a belief in a systemic reaction to perceived sexism?
Because there are 6 billion people on the planet and some them will unavoidably share similar opinions and conclusions.
Especially with inventions such as the Internet making it easier than ever for those individuals to connect.
Why is one a more valid theory than the opposite?

Because one relies on personal testimony, which is subject to human bias, memory alteration, mis-remembering etc*.
While the other is looking at numbers and statistics.

*And yes, even the ECE horror stories I mentioned earlier in the thread would be subject to such errors.
However I didn't express that expecting people to enforce laws to change it, I was simply saying I went through something shitty before and found it insanely stupid.

As far as women not having interest, there is no established link between testosterone and thinking science is fun.
Science is an extremely competitive career choice, where everything you try to prove will be ruthlessly peer-reviewed. Testosterone increases aggression and as a byproduct, competitive tendencies in those who possess it. Science knows this already.

So, actually, yes. Testosterone can be linked as one of multiple factors as to how much someone will enjoy the fields of science, finance, or politics: All highly competitive career choices, which only become more-so the further up the ladder you go.

Just, figured you might want to know that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.