Freaks Like Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurureenu smelled it before she heard it, then she saw it as well, staring dumbly at the flames that rose from his sleeve. The soon disappeared before she watched him test the theory for himself, first with his hand, then with his phone. The girl didn't know what to think... All she could do was dumbly nod, still in the shock of what she just saw. She might have been a mutant herself, but she would never expect Seth to end up as one, too.

Stupid girl! Mutants usually appear in the least likely places. Even in front of you! she thought, continuing to mentally chide herself as she followed Seth out to his bike. She wanted to say something, anything, about their new discovery, but what could she say? He wasn't like the people she helped, who suddenly developed their powers at random emotional climaxes in their lives. He knew full well what was happening and, unlike the people she helped, he didn't need any help with calming down.

"Do you think a Nokia would survive fire?" was the only dumb thing she eventually thought of to say in response.

He laughed a little, shaking his head. "I've heard stories. C'mon, we need to move it. Hopefully I'll stop randomly setting stuff on fire." He grabbed her hand and pulled her downstairs to where the bike was waiting. Once they were on it, he knew that he'd be able to escape anyone that could be tailing them. As he sat down onto it, he realised that the backpack could make things awkward for her. But they didn't have much of a choice.

The girl watched as he sat down and made a face at the backpack, crossing her arms. She wrote it off for the time being and placed herself behind him rather awkwardly, but still getting a tight hold around his waist. She made sure that her duffel was placed where it wouldn't get in the way or be a bother.

"Next time we're on the run, I'm carrying both of the bags," she told him, cracking a smirk.

To think of it, she was slightly relieved that he had powers of his own. That way, if he ever had to deal with any danger and was out of ammo, he still had something to protect himself. She smiled, the thought calming her of any potential hazards they may meet on the way.

He laughed a little, pulling on his helmet and starting the engine. "You're going to have to tell me where we're going once we get out of the city!" He called, before he gunned the throttle and they took off. He had no reason to think that OMEN would be after them- but at the same time, he couldn't shake the feeling that they were going to encounter trouble. Taking the shortest way out of the city made the most sense, so he took that turn. He gritted his teeth as he saw a few OMEN officers ahead of them. Hopefully they wouldn't recognise the bike. He leaned low as he took the corner sharply and heard the gunfire. However, he was pretty confident that they weren't going to be pursued once they left the city. They had bigger problems than a known mutant on the run.

He had to take a few sharp corners, and almost lost control of the bike once, but he'd been on a few high speed chases before. He wasn't afraid to break the speed limit now- his only limit was his control of the bike. They made it clear, and he allowed himself to slow slightly. "Where to?" He called.

Kurureenu nodded in reply as they shot off, the wind whipping around them as he sped through the streets. She knew he was going over the speed limit as they did so, but she understood his sense of urgency. It was the same her roommates were expressing when they left the city, and Kurureenu had opted to stay behind. She glanced back quickly toward the OMEN officers when she heard gunfire, but wasn't able to clearly define what they were aiming at. She was more concerned, though, with how fast Seth was going, making sure to hold on tight and keeping her head low. She could feel a rush of panic ebbing at the edges of her mind very clearly, but if she closed her eyes and held on tight, she might be able to prevent herself from panicking.

He's a good driver... You won't get into another accident right now. Calm down. she told herself before feeling the bike start to slow and hearing him ask the location of their destination.

"They're about an hour out, in a small town that I can't remember the name of right off hand," she told him. "I'll recognize it when we get closer, though."

He nodded. He was still barely within the speed limits, but knew that he had more or less full control over his bike. He could probably afford to go as fast as he wanted, as the road seemed to be relatively straight, but it was dark, and he didn't know the road, meaning that there could be sudden twists or turns. They might have escaped OMEN, but knowing his luck, if he took any unnecessary risks, he'd end up killing both or at least one of them.

He slowed again as they reached the edges of a town. "Is this it?" He called.

Kurureenu looked up and around when he questioned their surroundings. She remembered that she was there before, after her roommates have dragged her this way for certain holidays. She recognized the gas station they passed by and a few other choices places. One of them being a restaurant that blared the towns name.

"Yeah, this is it," she replied, knowing exactly where everyone was. "You're going to want to turn left right after the tracks, straight at the sign, and right at the next road. It'll be the one God awful house that looked like the colors were chosen by a blind woman with a sense of humor."

He laughed a little and nodded, taking the turn she pointed out. He followed her directions and pulled up outside of the house, laughing a little as he pulled off his helmet. "Jesus, you weren't lying about the colours, were you? Did someone willingly choose them, or was it actually a blind old lady with a sense of humour?" He ran a hand over his hair, nerves suddenly filling his stomach. His sleeve caught fire again, and he swore, extinguishing it. "If that doesn't stop happening, I swear to God..." He muttered.

Kurureenu watched the house come into view, remembering the colors, their places, and some of the stories behind them. "It was actually painted that way. The owner of this house, well... She was a teacher over at the grade school. The last class that she had, she let the kids pick out their favorite colors to go on the house and where," she told him, glancing over in time to see his sleeve catch on fire. She chuckled lightly, a smirk adorning her face once again. "If you keep up, you're going to end up naked in the driveway."

She led the way up the steps in front of the house and knocked on the door. She counted to three before pressing and holding the doorbell until someone finally opened the door.

"The fuck do you keep doing that for?" Tim hollered at her.

"I'll tell your mom on you for cursing," Kurureenu replied, crossing her arms and getting Tim to back up and clear the doorway. Once Kurureenu stepped in, she was bombarded by three other people. They were going from shooting questions at her, insulting her, and praising her by the second. The talking finally ceased when Tim started back up again.

"What's that OMEN hunter doing here?" he sneered, crossing his arms over his chest.

Kurureenu glared toward Tim. "Don't be rude, Tim," she scolded, "Or I'm getting your mom."

He examined his sleeve as they walked in. Funnily enough, it didn't seem to be charred, despite the fact that it had caught fire twice already. That was going to be useful to know. It would be extremely awkward if his clothes burned up in every single fight he got into. As they went in,people appeared from nowhere, congratulating Ku and giving out to her and asking her questions. He raised an eyebrow at the kid who asked her what he was doing there. He opened his hand and allowed flames to fill it. He looked down at the flames and back up at him. "This is why I'm here, kid. And I'm not OMEN any more. I'm the one that got away." He said, allowing the flames to go out. "So. I'm on your side." He grinned at them. "The name's Seth."

Tim scoffed at Seth calling him kid and walked away, grumbling something like, "Years of medical school just to be called 'kid'..." before he exited the room.

"Right... Introductions," Kurureenu reminded herself, making her way over toward Seth so she wasn't surrounded by her other roommates anymore. "That chick there is Scarlet," she started, pointing to a woman with dark brown hair and a steely gaze pointed at Kurureenu for calling her 'chick'. "That dumbass there is Jack, but I like to fondly call him 'Jackass'."

The man she pointed to as 'Jack', melodramatically put a hand over his heart. "You're too kind, Kuku," he told her, getting flicked off.

"And the last guy is Tony. Tony isn't special, just special in the head," she pointed out to Seth, getting flicked off by Tony for the comment. "That asshole that walked out is Tim. This is his mom's house and we all call her Miss Rose." Once her sentence was finished, she was shoved out of the way by Jack, wanting to get closer to the new guy.

"So, Seth... Does this mean you and Kuku are now an item?" he asked before getting smacked upside the back of the head by Scarlet. "What? I'm just curious!"

"I don't want to see her start to flicker when she gets nervous or mad, so don't get her started," Scarlet muttered, rolling her eyes and dragging Jack away from Seth by the ear.

Kurureenu covered her face with her hands before sliding them up through her hair and looking up at the ceiling. "Why do I still live with these people?" she asked herself, shaking her head with a soft smile. She was going to be horribly mortified before this night even ended.

He nodded as she introduced each of her housemates. He laughed as Jack shoved her out of the way and asked her if they were an item. Before he could respond, Scarlet dragged him away by the ear. He grinned at Ku's reaction, laughing a little. "I like them. It's better than them being all, 'But Ku, he's OMEN!' Anyway. Where should I leave my bag?" He asked, gesturing to the backpack that was still on his back.

Kurureenu laughed only slightly, still feeling the embarrassment of what Jack did. "I'll show you," she told him, bringing him deeper into the house and up the stairs. She nudged open one of the doors with her knee, the door swinging open and hitting the dresser that was behind it. She wasn't one to nudge inanimate objects kindly. She dropped her bag in one of the corners of the room and turned back toward Seth. "You can leave it in here for now and make yourself comfy. In the meantime, though, I'm going to head to the kitchen because of hunger. You are welcome to come with or... yeah. Do whatever you want."

She exited the room, making tracks straight for the kitchen in time to come at a collision course with another woman, her white hair tied up in a bun and glasses continuously falling toward the tip of her nose. Her wrinkled eyes came up toward the girl she collided with, a smile beaming across her face while Kurureenu apologized repeatedly.

"Reeny! I was wondering when you were going to come around here," she exclaimed, pulling the girl into a tight hug.

Kurureenu's face darkened from the nickname. She hated it and only used it at some jobs, but actually being called the name... She usually advised against it. She never had the heart to tell Miss Rose otherwise, but did kick her roommates butts (AKA Jack) if they did call her that. "Miss Rose! I missed you so much. I haven't seen you since Thanksgiving!"

The older woman chuckled knowingly. "That's because you wanted my food," she replied, getting another sight of a red face from Kurureenu as she blushed once more.

It was relatively warm in the house, so he pulled off his hoodie, revealing the printed shirt he'd pulled on before leaving. He still had colour staining his arms from the beating he'd gotten, but they were starting to fade. He ran a hand over his hair and followed Ku down to the kitchen, where she was hugging an old woman. Seth smiled. "You must be Miss Rose. I'm Seth Williams." He said, holding out a hand to the lady.

When Seth entered the room and spoke, Miss Rose held Kurureenu at arm's length, looking over at him. "Reeny, is this the boy your friends and my son were talking about?" she asked, going straight over toward Seth. "I'm old, not high strung. Give me a hug!" The older woman trapped Seth in a hug as well before releasing him and clapping together her hands. "Since Reeny is down here, I'm sure it was because her stomach needed filling."

Kurureenu's face reddened toward the comment. Without another word out of her, she only turned around and walked away and into the kitchen. Once she was out of the sights of Miss Rose and Seth, she excitedly squealed, "Yay! Green beans! You do love me, Miss Rose!"

He wasn't quite sure how to react when Miss Rose wrapped her arms around him, but he returned the hug and laughed a little. "I hope they've only been telling you good things, Miss Rose." He said, smiling at her. He laughed as Ku left, her cheeks flushing red, and again at her excited squeal. "Sounds like you're popular, Miss Rose." He remarked, leaning against the counter in the kitchen. He was incredibly happy that he'd gotten such a good reception- he was being seen as they guy that Ku had been on a date with, not an OMEN hunter to be feared and hated.

Miss Rose smiled, hearing Kurureenu's excitement. "It's like I knew you were going to be coming today, Reeny!" she told the girl walking into the kitchen. "The rest of the group and I already ate, but there is still plenty left for the two of you."

"I like the sound of that invite, Miss Rose," Kurureenu told her, grabbing a plate from beside the stove top and beginning to dish up on the food in front of her before finding a spot at the table. "God, I miss your good ol' fashioned southern cooking, Miss Rose." Kurureenu had already started her meal and Miss Rose turned her attention back to Seth.

"Now, don't be shy around here. I know you were OMEN before, but if Reeny likes ya, then you're nothing to fear," Miss Rose told him. "Also, if Tim is ever mean to you, just let me know. My kids never grow out of getting good ol' whoop-ins from their mom."

He smiled and shook his head at the offer of food. "Thanks very much Miss Rose, but I ate before starting my shift, so I'm not hungry." Ku filled her plate and started eating, and the old lady turned to Seth. He laughed a little. "That's good to know. I think I'll be able to handle myself, though." He sat down at the table beside Ku and grinned at her. "You look like you're enjoying that."

Kurureenu paused when Seth spoke to her and smiled. "You never truly lived until you had some of Miss Rose's food," she told him. "Also, my roommates and I don't do a lot of home cooking ourselves, so it's nice to get something like that every once in awhile. I usually end up bringing home food from whatever job I was working that day, so yeah."

She looked over at Seth, propping her chin on her hand. "So, Mr. Firestarter... How do you feel about having the ability over fire?"

He laughed a little, shaking his head. "I can cook, so I guess that'll change. Especially because I can't exactly keep working, so I'll be here while you're working or whatever." He shrugged as she asked him about his ability. "Ask me in a few hours. Honestly, right now I don't know how I feel. A little afraid, because fire's so destructive. But at the same time, it's kinda like, I can face OMEN now and I'll have something they don't. But yeah. The more I think about it, the more I'm overwhelmed. Especially because I know that things can and will probably start randomly catching fire around me." He shrugged, further examining his sleeve to see if there was any sign of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.