Forging New Paths

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"It's light," Luca repeated, not meaning he thought Anthony was saying anything wrong but trying to be understood in his awe. They weren't just colorful, they made light. He had never realized that they were more than just colors before, not until now when he could see them in person. It was so distracting he could only glance briefly at Anthony when he asked a question, making a distracted, thoughtful sound. "Sometimes. . . After it rains. . ." He knew that was just when rainbows happened, but it had also been the times it was easiest to use his Sight to explore the city while lying curled up in his room. If he remembered to look up at the sky, sometimes he was in the right place to find rainbows.

Evelyn smiled at the way Luca had run off, pleased at all the distractions inspiring him to independence. "I think if we'd come during the day we would have been here until now anyway," she said with a little chuckle, turning to give Watson a little pet as they looked at the small, lit up jellies. "They really are very pretty." She liked the big ones too, but she wouldn't mind watching these for a while.

Anthony could hear the excitement in Luca's voice, and he smiled and nodded his agreement. "Yeah! They kind of remind me of nightlights. Except . . . they don't have batteries. They're alive, and they make light. It's really cool." He was relieved that Luca had at least seen rainbows before, and he nodded again. "I'm glad you have. Rainbows are hard to find sometimes, but they're really pretty, too. I like these more, though. They glow!"

Watson squinted his eyes and purred, leaning into Evelyn's hand and arching his back a bit.

Garrett gave a long, happy sigh and nodded. "Yeah. I'm glad we all came on this patrol. It's turned out fantastic so far." He lapsed into a comfortable silence, and both he and Anthony stood watching the jellyfish in quiet content, prepared to stay as long as Luca wanted.

"They make patterns. . ." Luca murmured softly, gradually losing most of his attention for the world around him as he focused on the motions the jellyfish made as they swam. There were patterns in the flickering, flowing lights

The aquarium was almost eerily quiet with no other visitors or staff around, and for a little while it was like the world consisted of nothing but the four of them. No worries or dangers, just quiet time spent together. Evelyn, finally, was the one to break the spell. She could tell Luca was getting tired despite still watching the jellyfish attentively, even if her Insight hadn't told her so. She stepped quietly over to his side to brush a few locks of untamed hair away from his face and gently draw his attention.

"Luca," she said softly, her tone carefully encouraging, and gave a little tug on the hand that wasn't still clinging absentmindedly to Anthony's, "why don't we go and see the rest of the deep sea room, okay? Everyone is getting tired."

She could see the exhaustion in his face despite his continued determination to keep looking at things, and could see it even more in the way he rubbed his eyes as they moved on to the next exhibit. It was best they get ready to go soon. She just hoped the promise of being able to come back some day would be enough to convince him to leave without being upset.

"We're not that tired," Anthony protested, even as he yawned and rubbed his own eyes.

Garrett chuckled and smiled. "Uh-huh. Come on, kiddo, let's go check out the other fish in here, huh?"

Thankfully, the Deep Sea Room didn't have as many exhibits as the other areas. The exhibits were larger, instead, and there were one or two activity areas to fill in the rest of the space. One tank held anglerfish. The other included corals and anemones. There was a table with coloring sheets and crayons, as well as a deep sea sub simulator in the corner of the room where you could stand inside a pretend submarine and feel like you were actually underwater.

Anthony was immediately drawn to it, but he paused and glanced at Luca. ". . . The simulator's pretty cool, but it gets dark at a few points. Do you want to check it out or skip it?"

"Mmhm," Evelyn hummed, giving Anthony a sidelong look as he yawned. "Regular night owls, I see."

She was sure to let Luca stop and observe the fish for a while each time they stopped, but eventually was always the one to usher them on, knowing he was getting tired and it was going to be rather late soon enough. She should get him home to bed.

Luca eyed the simulator with distrust, and after a hesitant pause and anxious hand-wringing, he shook his head. It was too small, and too dark. He didn't want to make Anthony upset but he couldn't do it.

"It's all right, Luca," Evelyn said softly when he was too stressed to find words, wrapping a hand loosely around his arm to reassure him. "I'm sure if Anthony wants to take a look Garrett would love to go with him. We can go back and watch the fish for a little longer while we wait." She didn't want to stop Anthony from going in, since they were already in the aquarium, but she knew Luca was far from getting past his fear of the dark, and of tight spaces.

Anthony smiled sleepily and waved a hand. "Nah, that's all right. I can check it out another time when I'm more awake," he said with a yawn, bending down to scoop up Watson. "In the meantime, we should start heading home."

"That reminds me," Garrett said with a smile. "Luca, would you like to try a piggy back ride on the way home? Or would you like to walk?" Whether Luca wanted to stay at the office or go back home, they'd all have to head to the office first anyway to get to the car, so he wasn't worried about that question yet.

"If he doesn't want one, can I have a piggy back ride?" Anthony asked.

Garrett chuckled. "Sure. Don't see why not." He eventually stood at the aquarium entrance doors, patiently waiting to hear a reply from Luca. "By the way, I'm very glad you and Evelyn came with on patrol tonight, Luca. It was very nice to have you."

Luca was quiet, feeling tired but content with all the new things he'd been able to see, and paused for a little while too long when addressed, processing the words very slowly. He looked at Evelyn at first, then at Garrett, then down at his own hands with an almost perplexed expression. He knew what a piggy back ride was, if he thought hard enough, and he was sure Evelyn wasn't strong enough to carry him, but his yearning for physical affection and the paranoia that told him to keep his Shadow around outside were at odds inside his head. When Anthony expressed interest, it just felt easier to let him have what he wanted, instead of trying to choose between things Luca wasn't sure he wanted or not.

"You can. . ." He murmured very quietly, and let Evelyn reach over and take his hand without protest.

"Maybe some other time," she said, smiling a little for him like nothing was wrong and heading for the doors. "Don't let him drop you, Anthony."

The teen grinned and walked over to Luca. "All right, sweet! Could you carry Watson, Luca? I'll need my arms to hold onto Garrett."

Watson meowed and was already putting his paws out toward Luca, more than ready to curl up in his favorite person's arms.

Once the cat was secure, Anthony got onto Garrett's back and curled his legs and arms around him, giggling. "This'll be fun!"

"Don't get used to it," Garrett replied with a smile. "I'm not gonna do this every night."

"Awww," Anthony murmured, letting his chin rest against Garrett's shoulder. "Bummer." He yawned again and smiled. "Thanks for letting me do it tonight, though." As the group began heading home, it only took five minutes for Anthony to fall fast asleep on Garrett's back.

The detective paused a while later to set him down for a brief moment, and then he carried him bridal style the rest of the way to the apartment. Eventually the familiar, tall brick building came into view. Garrett beamed and nodded at Luca and Evelyn. "Do you two want to sleep over, or should I put Anthony to bed and drive you home?"

Luca nodded a little, letting go of Evelyn's hand to gently take Watson and hold him as they walked. He tucked his chin down and let Watson nuzzle against his face and relaxed with the warm, purring body held so close to his chest. Evelyn put a hand on his back to guide him as they walked, smiling a little at Anthony when he fell asleep, and just made sure everyone stayed on track as they walked.

When they got back to the office, Evelyn considered for a moment how both she and Luca were feeling, and after a bit to think gave her head a shake. "I didn't bring any clothes or toothbrushes for us," she said, and after a pause to consider freed Anthony's book from among the bags she still carried. "Let's take him in. We should leave him a note in case he wakes up while we're gone."

Maybe Garrett could come back and keep Anthony company to round out their day together. Luca was so tired he was almost swaying on his feet, but so overstimulated by the day that she thought it was best they go home and let him be quiet for a while. Even if he would rather stay, it was better they go, and he wasn't in any state to be able to answer such a question regardless.

"Sounds good to me," Garrett said, nodding. "We could try the sleepover another day, maybe. No need for a note, though. I'll just text him. Ah - could you get the door for me, please?" Once that was open, he carried Anthony carefully upstairs and into the office, where he headed for Anthony's room and laid him gently on the cot.

He brushed Anthony's hair from his face and smiled, pulling a blanket up over him. "Good night, Anthony. Sweet dreams." He texted him where he was going. Then he gently turned on the nightlight and closed the door.

Watson hopped out of Luca's arms and headed for the chair with a wide yawn, and Garrett chuckled. "I guess Watson's tired, too. All right, Luca and Evelyn. Let's get you both home. I better stay here and make sure Anthony really does have good dreams."

He headed back out to the car and slid into the driver's seat. Then he quietly drove the pair home, humming a bit to himself. "Ah, what a day. I'll be thinking about it all week."

Evelyn was happy enough to open the door and bring Anthony's book in, watching over Luca as Garrett put their other duckling to bed. Luca was reluctant to give Watson up, but tired enough not to fight, only carefully letting him down so he could curl up in a chair. Evelyn ushered him gently out to the car, made sure he was buckled in, and wasn't surprised when mere minutes later he drifted off leaned against the window.

"We really did a number on him," she said with a little smile, turning to look back at him and then settling in her seat with a soft, pleased sigh. "He did better than I expected, actually. It was a good day." There had only been one breakdown, and he hadn't wanted to curl up at home afterwards and hide, so she counted that as a win.

Garrett smiled and nodded. "Yeah," he said softly. "You know, as long as he's already asleep, I feel like I can ask. Have you both set up an appointment with the therapist yet? I couldn't remember for sure. But hopefully after talking with Mr. Halson, it'll be a little easier on him. I know the first week will be tough."

He turned down another street and was quiet for a moment. "Don't worry if you haven't yet. All good things with time. I was just curious," he added.

Once they arrived at Evelyn's house, he hopped out of the car and opened Luca's door, carefully catching the boy so he wouldn't fall and scooping him into his arms. "All right. Should we get this guy to bed?" he asked with a gentle smile.

If it wasn't so late, he might have stayed a bit to chat about the security footage. But it wasn't anything that needed immediate attention. It could probably wait until tomorrow.

Evelyn took a slow, deep breath, followed by a soft sigh, and eventually nodded. "I'll speak with her tomorrow evening. Hopefully it won't be long after that. . . At least our talk with Mr. Halson has given him a little context to go off of. I still need to talk to him and explain it all." When it came time for her to do that, she was sure she would be grateful for their chat with the man.

Luca woke briefly at the sensation of falling when Garrett came to get him, but upon realizing where he was and who with he only wrapped his arms loosely around Garrett's neck as much as the angle allowed and groggily closed his eyes as he was carried.

"He deserves a good rest," Evelyn agreed, closing the car door and leading the way up to her home to unlock and open the door for Garrett. She followed quickly after them to make sure Luca's star nightlight was turned on for him, and once he was laid down helped him get his shoes off, at least, before he passed out again. It wouldn't hurt to let him sleep in his day clothes just this once. She was glad, at least, that he was too tired to fight Garrett's leaving.

"Thank you, Garrett," She said softly when he was settled, walking the detective slowly back to her front door. "I had a good time tonight. I'm sure the boys had a blast, even if some of it was hard. I think we're just going to take it easy tomorrow, so let me know if you two need anything, all right?"

The detective couldn't help but smile a bit at the sleepy expression of confusion on Luca's face - and when the boy wrapped his arms around his neck, he all but melted. "I've got you, Luca," he murmured. "It's all right. We're just now arriving home. You can go back to sleep," he added, although he clearly didn't need to tell him.

Like he had with Anthony, Garrett gently brushed Luca's hair out of his eyes and covered him with his blanket. "Sweet dreams, Luca," he murmured.

He yawned on the way back to the door with Evelyn, and he couldn't resist looping his arm with hers once more. "I had a great time, too. I'm with you - we're gonna be exhausted tomorrow. I might even sleep in," he added with a grin. He finally pulled his arm away, met Evelyn's eyes, and gave her a small wave. "I'll see you soon, okay? Keep me updated on the therapist situation. And have a wonderful night."

And with that, he strolled out the door, humming softly to himself and slowly making his way back to his car so he could go to the office with Anthony. He hadn't had a night this full of fun in so long.

Luca relaxed at the familiar sight of home, of Garrett and his bedroom, and was beginning to drift off again before they'd even walked out.

Evelyn was surprised when Garrett held on to her as they walked, but after a brief, flustered pause she managed to take it in stride, only tucking her hair back behind one ear with her free hand. She'd started it after all, she thought, and she had known Garrett was a very touch-starved person. "Sleep in?" She parroted with a soft laugh. "I thought you were incapable of such things. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Goodnight, Garett. Have a safe drive home."

She waved back as he left, a small smile still on her face, and only once he was in his car again did she close the door and check all the locks around the house. Once she'd checked on Luca again to be sure he was sleeping, she went through her own routine of washing up and getting ready for bed, and eventually drifted into the deepest sleep she'd had in days. She wouldn't forget to text Garrett the next day after her talk with the therapist.

"Thanks. I will," Garrett promised. He texted Lily the second he made it to the office. Then he set himself up on the couch in the main lobby area, soon drifting off to sleep.

And he was actually able to sleep in the next morning. He was extra glad he stayed when he woke up to find Anthony eating breakfast nearby, and when he glanced over, the younger man gave him a bright smile.

"It was nice of you to sleep over," Anthony said softly. "I just got up a few minutes ago. You sleep well?"

Garrett stretched and arched his back, nodding. "Sure did! Got any energy in you to go over some case notes and security camera footage?"

"Sure do!"

Once the pair had had breakfast, they spent most of the day going over the footage and making notes. But Garrett kept one eye on his phone and waited patiently for Evelyn to text him.

Evelyn, despite being tired, didn't wake up much later than she normally did. She checked on Luca a handful of times to be sure he wasn't lying awake in bed, but otherwise let him sleep for as long as he would, and waited to make breakfast until he was ready. Afterwards, when she felt he was sufficiently awake and ready for conversation, she sat him down on the couch and held his hands, and explained as gently and as thoroughly as she could that she wanted him to talk to the therapist she had been searching for, to help him with the bad feelings and bad memories. He was quiet, almost worried, even, but for the most part said nothing. She explained to him again about Mr. Halson, and how it had been hard to see a therapist but that it had helped him a lot. She wasn't sure if she should be grateful or worried that eventually he had said 'Okay', and not much else.

I think our chat with Mr. Halson helped. She texted Garrett when it was over and Luca had had the time to calm down and was drawing peacefully nearby. Luca didn't fight the idea of a therapist, at least. We'll see how it goes when he starts. My meeting with her is at 4, so I'll let you know how that goes. I'll give him my phone while we chat so he can keep himself entertained. He was capable of finding things to do that she had for him in his bedroom or in the living room, but she didn't like when he defaulted to lying on the couch and doing nothing, out of sheer habit. It worried her to think he would ever regress to just that again.

Garrett scooped up his phone at once, nodding and texting back as soon as he'd read through the message. I'm glad it's going all right so far. Do you want me or Anthony to come along during the meeting to hang out with Luca in the waiting room? Both our schedules are pretty flexible today.

Sure, they wanted to catch up with a few of the store owners and talk to some people along the patrol route, but they had time to spare to help Luca and Evelyn. They'd always make time if they could.

Anthony poured himself another bowl of cereal and looked over one of the photos they'd printed from the security footage. ". . . I still can't tell if this looks more like hair or fur."

Evelyn frowned at first when she saw her phone, then realized she must have left some details out when she'd mentioned the therapist before. It will actually be a video conference, so that's all right. She sent back, almost embarrassed. She lives out of state, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that before. I wanted to find the best fit, so I didn't limit the search by location. It's probably best for Luca not to see her in person.

If anything happened and the woman were to leak any information about his identity, it would be dangerous for her and for them. Besides, having the woman be out of state ensured she was free of Lombardi influence anyway. It might even, hopefully, be a bit less pressure for Luca if he didn't have to be trapped in a room with just her and could safely speak to her from his own room.

Oh, perfect! In that case, would it be better if we came over to sit with Luca, or would he feel more comfortable with just you there? Garrett texted back. He, too, quickly came to the same conclusions Evelyn did. And virtual therapy seemed great for the additional reason Luca could eventually have sessions outdoors if he wanted, or absolutely anywhere. Maybe even at the aquarium, if it would help him feel more relaxed.

He glanced over at the photo Anthony was examining and clicked his tongue. "It's a blurry photo. Even in motion, it was hard to tell. My instincts lean towards hair rather than fur, as the figure has a humanoid shape. But we'll see what we find when we go back and comb through the scene later today."

From what he put together from the tapes and the shopkeeper's comments so far, it sounded as though there might be someone else with powers out on the streets - possibly injured. But it was only rumor and speculation at this point. Nothing worth worrying Evelyn over.