Forging New Paths

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Evelyn wrinkled her nose at the idea of having additional houseguests, shaking her head at the idea immediately though she didn't hold it against Garrett for thinking of it. "Let's . . . keep it to public places." Parting with her home address was not something she did lightly. It would be bad enough having the few local gossips that had any interest in her eventually see 'Umbrella Girl' with friends. People might start paying attention to her.

". . . We can stay another night, if that's all right with you." Evelyn glanced between Luca and the cat, then over at Garrett again. She didn't want to separate them all so soon, but it was best they get going before long. Luca needed to be where he could breathe freely. "You're going to need help giving Watson a bath. . . Luca should probably have one too."

He was getting covered in soot holding Watson so close, after all. She had never bathed a cat, but she was sure if others' stories were true it would be very difficult.

"Cats . . ." Luca started slowly, looking down at Watson who was still purring loudly in his arms, "Don't like water?" He'd known that, he thought, even before his time away. But some cats would swim, couldn't they? Maybe Watson would like it.

"Some cats don't like it," Detective Shiver admitted with a shrug. "But some do. I tell you what, Luca - why don't you go take a bath in the tub, and I can give Watson a bath in the sink?" He held his hands out with a smile. "May I hold him?"

Watson was very comfortable in Luca's arms. But once he was passed along, he settled down just as easily in the detective's arms. He squinted his eyes and purred.

"Ohh, aren't you a handsome fellow," Garrett murmured happily. "All right, then! Bath time for you. And what say we all meet back in the living room for a bedtime story afterwards? I think Luca should pick the next one."

Luca only looked down at Watson in his arms for a moment, unsure how to pass him over safely and already missing the purring even without having done it yet. He was as careful as he could be, but in the process of passing Watson on their hands inevitably brushed, and Luca's eyes went a little wide and distant at the strange loss of energy surging through his body. It was a brief touch, hardly glancing, so the feeling came back rather quickly, but it was the first time he'd felt it since Garrett had first found him days ago, and he'd hardly been conscious then.

Evelyn, having been watching the exchange, got to her feet as Luca blinked back to reality, realizing he had probably missed most of what Garrett had said. "Come with me, Luca," she said gently, holding out her hands to him to help pull him up to his feet. "We'll get you cleaned up."

She went with him only long enough to tell him where to leave his stained clothes, and to do so carefully so they didn't get anything else messy, then went back to find Garrett again. "You'll have to tell him you want him to pick a story again once he's back," she said, smiling a little at the way the cat had settled in. "I don't think he actually heard you. Are you going to need any help? Looks like he likes you, too. He's a cuddly little thing."

Garrett smiled gently at Evelyn as she approached. "I don't think he heard me, either. He seemed a bit surprised when he accidentally touched my hand - I should let him know I can't turn my power off." He shifted Watson's weight in his arms and gave the cat a tiny kiss on the head. "But I would like help bathing Watson. I can't say I've ever bathed a cat, but hopefully it'll go smoothly."

He reached out to plug the sink up and start some warm water. "What sort of soap do you think is safe for a cat? Just hand soap?"

Watson meowed and stared at the water. Then he leaned partway out of Garrett's arms, trying to bat at the stream flowing into the sink.

Garrett chuckled. "Aww, he likes it! That's a good sign." He set the black kitten down in the sink and carefully started running water through his silky fur. Watson was the perfect age for introducing new experiences to; he was curious and easy going, and still young enough that he was willing to take things in stride. Garrett admired that about him, and hoped he was just as pliable at his slightly older human age. "By the way . . . thank you for agreeing to stay one more night. I really appreciate it." He glanced up at Evelyn and smiled. "Can I make you both a farewell breakfast? What would you like?"

"He tends to only be able to focus on one thing at a time, I think," Evelyn mused, making a face at the idea of putting a potentially claw-happy cat into water. "I'm not sure how much help I'll be. . ." She added unsurely, but did step forward to look around the sink, picking up the dish soap instead to look it over. "Just a little of this should do. Dawn is best, but most plain dish soaps are safe enough for animals. They use it to clean birds and other wildlife caught in oil spills, after all." It was strong enough to break down grease, but not harmful.

It was a pleasant surprise when Watson seemed interested in getting into the water, and didn't fight it once he'd actually touched it. There wasn't much Evelyn could do except to hover in case she was needed, and make sure the soap was where Garrett could grab it. When he thanked her for staying, she had the decency to look a bit sheepish, though not quite embarrassed. She hadn't been sure, until then, if he'd known she chose to stay for his benefit.

"You act like we'll never see each other again," she said with a little shake of her head. "Anything is all right. We could make pancakes." With all his declarations of not knowing how to cook, she found herself worried he would burn it, so she would likely be nearby helping anyway.

"I know we will," Garrett said softly, working the soap through Watson's fur. "It's just . . . not quite the same when friends live in different houses, you know? It's a bit more difficult to meet up. Though I'm sure I'll get used to it." Plus, Garrett was worried about overstaying his welcome or going over to much. It was easy at his apartment; Evelyn and Luca could come as often as they wanted, and stay as long as they liked. But he wasn't sure what it would be like at Evelyn's.

He smiled, though, when she suggested pancakes. Those seemed easy enough to make; he could Google a recipe for them later that night. "Pancakes would be excellent," he agreed. "And maybe sides of fresh fruit and bacon. Those are classics."

Finally Watson was squeaky clean. Detective Shiver smiled and held the squirming kitten up. "Evelyn, would you like to towel dry him?" he offered. "He's already purring. And I bet he'd love a nice, warm towel."

The way Garrett talked about it, it was as if he thought she would never let him see Luca - or her, she supposed he could actually be interested in a friendship with her as well, though the pessimistic part of her didn't lean too heavily on such uncertain ideas. It would take a bit to settle in, she was sure, and her focus would be on Luca, but she was going to have to be sure not to wait too long before contacting Garrett again. Her Insight might not work on him, but it was easy enough to tell with just average intuition that he would be sad if she isolated herself.

"Hm?" Evelyn blinked back into focus when he held Watson up, dripping wet but happy enough, and gave a little laugh. "I should've gotten one earlier. I'll be right back."

She was quick, hurrying off into the house to get a towel and bringing it back. She let Garrett hand her the little one into the towel, and very gently went about rubbing him dry, careful not to cover his head as much as she could manage. "He's very friendly," she said softly as she worked at getting all the water out of Watson's fur. "Luca really liked holding him." She was not one for pets, usually, but it would be nice to bring Luca here to visit and let him see Watson as well as Garrett.

Watson purred the entire time he was being dried, and he started kneading his paws against it, squinting his eyes happily and leaning into the towel.

Garrett's expression softened. "He is very friendly, isn't he?" He realized that he wouldn't be quite alone after all; not with Watson in the apartment. And suddenly he felt a bit better about not getting to see Evelyn and Luca as often. "You know, how would it be if I brought him with whenever I come to visit you and Luca? I'm sure he'd love to travel a bit."

He went over to the laundry room and picked a few blankets, which he brought to his room and made into a nest on the right side of the bed. Maybe they would do until he got Watson an actual cat bed.

Then he returned to Evelyn's side and leaned against a nearby counter. "None of your friends and family are allergic to cats, are they? I can leave him at home if they are."

Evelyn couldnt help the little smile on her face when Watson started kneading, not beyond his adorable charms. "That should be all right. . . So long as he's not going to pee on the rug, i don't think it will be a problem." She made sure Watson was as fully dry as he could get while Garrett was gone, then just continued to hold him in the slightly damp towel for a moment because he seemed to like it. "No one's allergic that I'm aware of."

Her family didn't visit her here, and she phrased it the way she had mostly because she didn't want to tell him she didn't have very many friends to speak of, and that the few she did have didn't usually come to her home. It was better to meet at a secondary location, and if she were being very honest with herself it also kept anyone from getting too close.

"All right, little one," she murmured when she heard the bathroom door opening, and carefully got Watson on his feet on the ground. "Let's find a new place to cuddle, hm?" At least, from what she could hear, Luca remembered where to leave his dirty clothes and towel this time.

"Great, glad to hear it," Garrett said happily. "Now, it sounds like Luca's nearly done, so - should I pick out a few books for him to choose from, or do you think he could handle an entire bookcase of selections?" He already had a few books in mind. Some were early chapter books, with shorter stories and illustrations. Some were a bit longer with fewer images, and one had no pictures at all - but Garrett found it so intriguing he thought it fit to include that one anyway.

Watson, for his last, gave himself a shake to get rid of any extra water. Then his eyes dilated and his tail twitched. Before Garrett could blink, he tore off around the apartment, zooming every which way and leaping up on furniture as he ran.

The detective burst out laughing. "Oh! Someone's got the zoomies, have they?" he asked in delight. "Look at you go, Watson!" He pretended to run after the cat - though he was mostly walking - laughing and holding his hands out. "C'mere, Watson! Here, kitty!"

Watson purred and ran faster before smacking into the couch. He blinked and shook his head, and then strolled up to Garrett and rubbed against his arms. Garrett smiled and scooped him up. ". . . Uh-huh. Pretending you didn't just run into the couch, eh? Silly boy."

"Let's start with just a few options," Evelyn decided after a moment of thought. "I don't want to overwhelm him too early." He'd been doing all right, as far as interacting with his present surroundings, but she was sure after the life he had lived too much stimulus could be bad. As dangerous as he could be seen as, it wasn't as if he had interacted with others very often or intimately.

Evelyn jumped just a little when Watson suddenly took off, but after a pause to realize what he was doing could only laugh. It wasn't as if she didn't know what 'zoomies' were, or had never seen video of it, but she'd never had pets of her own to watch tearing around the room.

Luca emerged from the hallway just as Watson was tearing by and stopped to watch curiously, confused by the random zipping about the room. It was strange, but Garrett was smiling and following along, and Evelyn was laughing, so he had to assume that Watson wasn't hurt, or scared. He flinched a little, though, when their furry companion ran into the couch, and watched Garrett pick him up with some concern.

"He's all right," Evelyn reassured, smiling a bit still and shaking her head. "Young animals run into things a lot."

Luca managed to tear his eyes away to look at her, uncertain, then finally only nodded his head in response. As long as everything was okay. He didn't want Watson to get hurt. He felt so small and fragile.

Garrett nodded. "That sounds wise," he agreed at last, gently ruffling Watson's ears. Then he smiled and set the cat on the floor. "Ah! Look who it is, Watson! Luca has arrived."

Watson let out a loud meow - the kind that makes a kitten's face squish its eyes a bit - and trotted over with a tail held high. Then he tried to climb up Luca's leg so the boy would hold him again.

"He really does love you," Garrett said with a soft smile. "What a sweet kitten." He ambled over to the bookshelf and picked out five books, which he laid gently on an end table. "Luca, would you like to pick tonight's story? I can go make some popcorn for everyone to enjoy while you pick," he added.

Once he was sure Luca had heard him and understood, he went to the kitchen to make three bowls of popcorn. These he brought to the living room with glasses of cool water before setting them on end tables. Then he settled into his chair with a soft groan. "All right. What story shall we hear tonight, Luca?"

Luca stared down at Watson for a moment, frowning at the way his Shadow formed over his skin to protect him from the kitten's sharp claws. As much as he didn't like the idea of bleeding, he also didn't like that it was reacting to his small friend and hoped it never caused problems. It usually only made walls, so if what Evelyn said was true and cats often ran into things, he hoped it would be fine.

Unsure how to pick Watson up properly, Luca crouched carefully down so the cat could hop up onto his knees, then wrapped his arms around him until they were both settled comfortably. "Okay," he said softly when Garrett told him to choose something, and got slowly to his feet to be sure Watson wouldn't get dropped.

Evelyn smiled a little at the way he looked confused between Watson and the end table, and took mercy on him by walking over to move the books around. "This one?" She asked gently once he'd read the titles and seemed intrigued by one, and picked it up to give to Garrett upon his return. "All right. Why don't you let Watson curl up in your lap so you can have a snack, all right?"

Luca was reluctant to give up the way Watson purred against his chest, but nodded and acquiesced, sitting on the couch and very gently letting the cat out of his arms until he could settle on his legs.

"Fancy a little Sherlock Holmes?" She asked with an amused little smile, and handed over the book before going to sit down next to Luca. "I think we've tilted the results in our favor, but it's what he picked."

"Ohhh. Sherlock Holmes. An absolute classic!" Garrett agreed, beaming and taking the book gently from Evelyn's hands. "I can't say I didn't already stack the odds in our favor. Half my bookshelf is detective stories and mysteries, after all." He chuckled and cracked the book open, clearing his throat. "All right, here we go. Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Five Orange Pips . . ."

He began reading the story, his voice animated and full of emotion. He often paused briefly to glance up and check whether Evelyn and Luca were still interested.

Watson stayed on Luca's lap for a little bit, but eventually he wanted to get higher up again. So he wriggled his haunches, set his sights on Luca's shoulder, and hopped up. His back paws scrambled for a bit before he managed to make himself at home. He curled up in the small of Luca's neck, purring and letting his eyes slowly slip closed.

Eventually, the story came to an end. Garrett nodded and delicately closed the book. "And that's that," he said with a smile and a yawn. "Luca? Am I correct in assuming you'd like Watson to stay in your room tonight?"

Evelyn only gave a good natured roll of her eyes as she settled in next to Luca, leaning their shoulders lightly together. He was quiet, as usual, but she felt a little bloom of warmth in her chest when he leaned back just a little, as if testing if it was okay.

Luca's eyes drifted away, settling somewhere in the middle distance between himself and the floor, and at times his attention faded in and out, but the sound of Garrett's voice was soothing. Combined with Watson's warm weight in his lap, and Evelyn at his side, it made Luca feel almost sleepy. He twitched back into awareness when Watson moved, but other than a slight shift down so the back of the couch was closer and the cat wouldn't fall off, he didn't protest the change. Watson's purring in his ear was a little loud, but he found he liked the sound.

When the story was done, Luca blinked slowly and returned his attention more fully to Garrett, mulling over the words with an ever so slight frown. ". . . He can sleep with me?" He asked, hesitant and, perhaps, a little worried. "I won't . . . hurt him?"

He didn't usually move in his sleep, but what if he did? Watson was so small. Part of him was still worried it would happen again, that he would hear the voice in his head that seized control and lash out. He didn't want to hurt Watson, or anyone else.

His tone made something in Evelyn's eyes go soft and heartbroken, and she placed a hand gently over one of his. "I'm sure it will be just fine. He'll move if he's not comfortable."

Garrett put the book away on the shelf with the others, and then turned and gave Luca a smile. "No, you won't hurt him. Animals are very smart. And cats are basically liquid, as I understand it. They sleep in some of the oddest positions. Watson will be very safe with you. And he knows it."

The detective stretched and arched his back with a pop. "And I ought to get to sleep, too. I know you both know the drill by now, but feel free to wake me if you need me. That goes for when you move out, too. I always have my phone by me. You can call or text at any hour," he promised.

He smiled and waved before ambling off to his room. "Have a good sleep, you both. Pleasant dreams."

Even Watson gave a wide yawn. Once he was brought to Luca's room, he made himself at home on the boy's pillow beside his head. He turned around several times and kneaded the pillow. Then he tucked his paws and tail in to form a loaf, laid his head against Luca's, and promptly fell asleep.

Luca looked at the cat on his shoulder as best he could, and relaxed at the reassurance. Watson was safe with him. No one had ever said anything like that to him, and it was a relief to know that he wouldn't hurt the small creature while he slept. If he slept, he supposed.

"Thank you, Garrett," Evelyn said softly, sincerely, when he said they could always call, and shifted forward to get to her feet. "Goodnight. Come on, Luca, we should get ready for bed, too."

Once they were both changed and she'd made sure at least that he'd brushed his teeth, she settled him in bed, sitting by his side only long enough to watch Watson settle in, and Luca relax once he did. She wished him goodnight, then, and was careful to be quiet when setting up her own bed after she'd left. With Watson warm and pressed gently against him, Luca slowly relaxed to the sound of his breathing, and though he didn't sleep solidly through the night, it was at least restful to have another beating heart nearby.

In the morning, Evelyn rose early to shower and get herself ready for the day, letting Luca sleep in since he hadn't come out of the guest room yet. She would have waited and used her own shower, but she had a feeling there was going to be a lot to do once she was home. As much as she liked to keep herself well put together, she did still put makeup on, but it would be all right to have breakfast with damp hair. She'd promised they would eat together before she left, after all.

The next morning, when Evelyn finished showering and came out to the kitchen, she would find Garrett hunched over the stove carefully making pancakes. There was a bit of batter splattered near the sink and several burnt or extra liquidy pancakes. But on the table, there was a fresh plate of pancakes that didn't look half bad.

Garrett grinned and waved when he saw Evelyn come over. "Hey!" he greeted. "Guess what? I taught myself early this morning to make pancakes." His eyes glittered, and he flipped the ones over that were in the pan. "Surprise!"

Watson had slept through the night, hardly moving at all. But the smell of pancakes was enough to pique his curiosity. He stretched and yawned, arching his back and his teeny black paws. Then he meowed and pulled on Luca's shirt sleeve to try and get him to follow him to breakfast.

The kitchen was . . . a small disaster, she was tempted to say. But also it told a very clear story, Garrett obviously gotten up early, looked up a recipe, and spent who knew how much time trying and failing until he got it right for them. He could've waited for her, and she could've guided him along, but she knew some people liked surprises, and liked learning things on their own. Rather than annoyed by the mess, she chose to find it endearing.

"I think a small bomb went off in your kitchen," she said with an amused little smile, crinkling her nose at the mess. While he focused on the stove, she took a couple of paper towels and started calmly cleaning up the mess near the sink. "Thank you. This was very nice of you."

Luca had woken up more than once during the night, but having Watson so close and breathing steadily had convinced him not to get up, and he'd drifted in and out of sleep many times. In the morning, he'd finally fallen back to sleep not long before Watson was up, and made a soft, sleepily confused sound at the tugging. Blinking groggily, Luca pushed himself up a little and watched as Watson go down to the ground, circling back in the doorway to meow at him as if urging him along. Did he need something? Luca wondered, uncertain how much cats could communicate or if Watson was just playing a game he didn't understand, and followed after with slow, shuffling steps.

Evelyn and Garrett were in the kitchen, and the house smelled like burnt bread, but pleasantly sweet as well. Luca's vision was still a bit fuzzy as he adjusted to the light in the kitchen, and he yawned quietly and leaned on the refrigerator where he was out of the way as he looked around. Pancakes. Was it time for breakfast?

Garrett giggled. ". . . Yes, it is a bit of a disaster. But I hope my surprise pancakes make up for it a bit!" He noticed Evelyn cleaning the counter and raised an eyebrow. "Thanks for helping clean that up. I can finish the rest of the cleaning once these two pancakes are done. My mess, after all," he pointed out with a grin.

Then he spotted Watson - and, more surprisingly, Luca - wandering into the kitchen. He smiled and waved a hand at the pair. "Welcome, you both! You're just in time for breakfast. Luca, go ahead and pick out a chair to sit in. How many pancakes would you like?"

Two choices for Luca at once. Garrett hoped it wouldn't be too overwhelming, especially since Luca had clearly just woken up. But maybe it would go smoothly after all and he had nothing to worry about.

He soon finished making the last two pancakes and, as promised, took a few minutes to clean the kitchen. Then he sat down at the table with Evelyn and Luca. There were drinks, toppings, and silverware already prepared for the group. There was also a dish of water and a dish of chicken meat on the floor for Watson. "Go ahead and dig in!" Garrett abounded happily. "These should be edible, at the very least. I hope."