Forging New Paths

Luca settled at the table when Garrett brought back paper, and sat looking confused for a moment with the pencil. "Oh," he said softly when presented with something new, "Stars." Maybe he could do everything? A cat, and stars, and balloons.

Evelyn smiled a little at Garrett's thoughtfulness. "It doesn't have to be perfect. It's just for fun, so you can do whatever you'd like."

Luca looked at her for a moment, as if taking in the sentiment, and finally turned back to the paper to draw a smaller rectangle, like the paper itself was too big to work with. Inside of the lines, he drew a cat face in the center, with balloons to one side, and the Big Dipper and Orion on the other. Would there be enough space for that? Was something like that okay, or was he supposed to pick just one?

The detective sat down at the kitchen table to watch Luca draw. He smiled warmly, resting his chin on his hand as cats, balloons, and stars began filling the little rectangle on the paper. "Aw. That's going to be a very nice cake," he said.

When the cake eventually cooled, Garrett brought it over to the table and set it in front of Luca. "All right, decorating time! Evelyn? Do you have any advice for us?" he asked, glancing over with a smile.

She was bound to have advice. Evelyn was clearly a good cook, and if anyone in the group knew how to decorate a cake, it would be her.

Evelyn, while not wanting to fully disappoint Watson, had moved him down to her arms while they waited for the cake to cool, not wanting to continue thinking she would drop him but also not wanting to give him to Luca and have him be in the way of the young man decorating his cake. When Garrett called for her she moved to the table with a thoughtful little hum to look at the picture Luca had drawn.

"Maybe we can cover the cake in white to start," she suggested, a bit unsure since any cake she'd ever made had been one color with very little decoration, "then add blue food coloring to draw the rest? Here, Garrett, I don't have hands but I'll show you where there's an offset spatula to use, and a piping bag for the rest."

They were handy tools for frosting things, and not one she used often, but as she was a fan of using the right tools for things when she had them rather than just 'making do', she still had it lying around.

When she returned to see Luca looking worried she gave him a smile. "It's all right, Luca. Just do your best. It's meant to be fun, not perfect, and it will still taste the same."

He didn't seem extremely reassured, but nodded a little and looked at the tools in front of them for a moment before finally looking at Garrett. ". . . Will you show me?" He didn't know the first thing about how to put icing on cakes. If someone went first and showed him, maybe then he could help.

"I'll do my best," Garrett promised with a chuckle. He gathered the supplies and tools as Evelyn pointed them out, and he sat back at the table soon after. Then he carefully frosted half of the cake in white. It was a little sloppy, but at least it was covered. Then he set the spatula aside and picked up the piping bag. He drew the Big Dipper, which turned out slightly smeared, and half of the cat face in the middle of the cake. Then he added a few sugar stars for decoration.

He couldn't help but beam a little proudly. The pictures weren't ideal, but they were recognizable.

"There!" he announced. "Not too bad, if I say so myself. Now you can make the other half, Luca, and then we can add candles and sing you happy birthday!" Even better, after the cake he could present Watson wearing a tiny little birthday hat.

Frosting half and half was not exactly how Evelyn would have suggested doing things, given how it might smear, but she could appreciate the sentiment and was doing her level best not to interfere. It didn't need to be done 'right', she told herself more than once. It just needed to make them happy.

Luca watched closely, keeping an eye on how Garrett moved the spatula and how he laid some frosting down before spreading it out. He was clearly nervous when he got up to stand and try on his own, but was very slow and careful in spreading the white around so as not to ruin the kitty Garrett had already made. It smeared a little, but Evelyn reminded him it was okay, so he went on to frost the rest and then hesitantly made a balloon first to practice using the piping bag. He squeezed too hard at first, but Evelyn freed a hand to help him make it a filled in balloon rather than just an outline, so it was okay. The balloons and Orion gave him practice to draw the rest of the cat face, and when it was done he placed stars on the points of the constellation with hands stained a bit blue. It was messy and imperfect, and he didn't think he'd done a good job, but it made him feel good, somehow.

Evelyn smiled for them when it was done, laughing softly at Luca's hands, and just pointed at the candles as best she could. "All right, now I'm trusting you not to burn my house down with those."

Garrett's idea between frosting half and half had been to make it more fair; he could frost some, and Luca could frost some. And from his perspective, it was going swimmingly. All the frosting stayed on the cake, and the frosting pictures Luca drew turned out even better than his. He grinned and nodded.

Then he glanced down at his own hands and realized they, too, were blue. "Oop! We'd better wash our hands again. We're turning into Smurfs," he joked, laughing. He headed for the sink and washed with soap and water. Then he dried them off on a towel and glanced over at Evelyn with a mischievous smile. "Me? I would never do such a thing. At least on purpose," he added.

He took the candles and placed them around the cake, lighting each one. "Evelyn, want to put Watson down and grab a camera so we can record the happy birthday song?" he asked. "Luca, go ahead and sit down in front of the cake. Evelyn and I will sing to you. And then, at the end of the song, you get to make a wish and blow out the candles!" he added.

Watson spotted Luca's lap once he sat down and jumped gingerly onto the floor from Evelyn's shoulder. Then he hopped up into Luca's lap, purred, and rubbed his face against him.

Luca frowned at his hands and spent too long trying to remember if he had ever actually seen Smurfs on tv or just in pictures, but did go to the kitchen sink to wash the blue icing off his fingers. Evelyn rolled her eyes at Garrett's innocent tone, but let the matter of fire safety go for now, distracted for a moment by the panic of having Watson wriggle out of her arms and onto the floor. She breathed a sigh of relief when he made it safely to Luca's lap, then her bedroom to get a small tripod for her phone as Garrett put the candles in. When she came back she set it up on the far side of the table, and set it to record with the thought in mind that she could cut out the beginning later if the cake wasn't quite ready.

When everything was ready, she mouthed the word 'softly' to Garrett, with a little gesture to keep it down so they didn't get too loud for Luca. He was already very quiet and still again, watching the way the candles' flame flickered and carding his fingers through Watson's fur. Evelyn was worried about just how a birthday celebration, after a decade of not having them, could bring about both good and bad memories, and stood close to his side with a gentle hand on his shoulder even as she smiled and held up three fingers for Garrett, then two, then one.

Her singing voice was nothing to write home about, she knew. It was soft and gentle, meant for lullabies and soothing hums, with little power behind it and rarely shared with anyone - but for this, it was enough. She sang their little song for Luca, with a smile on her face and faint laughter in her voice at how strange it felt to do so with just she and Garrett around to join in. It was worth it, seeing the way Luca looked between them with something both warm and sad in his eyes. Anything was worth it to bring him some sort of peace.

As the song trailed off, she gave his shoulder a little squeeze and bent to whisper a gentle reminder to make his wish. Luca closed his eyes with his chin tucked gently down against where Watson was begging for affection with headbutts and purrs, and finally opened them again to lean forward and blow out the candles. There were too many to get all in one go, but that was all right. He knew he couldn't ask for things that were gone already, so all he wanted for his wish was what he had already. To be here, with Evelyn and Garrett and Watson, warm and safe and happy, for as long as he could. He wished it could last forever.

It had been a while since Garrett had sung for anyone. He'd used to be in choir in high school, as a baritone. But that was years ago. Still, it was hard to forget how to sing. And as he and Evelyn began, his deep, rich voice harmonized with hers. He made sure to sing as softly as he could.

It was easy to remember when he was so focused on Evelyn's voice. He didn't want to overpower the sweet, airy tones her voice had, and it was so soft he had to sing quietly anyway so it could still be heard.

Watson paused during the singing to glance back and forth between the pair. His eyes were dilated. He wasn't quite sure what the humans were doing, but the rumbling sounds and harmony reminded him a bit of purring. This must be how his humans purred. He purred louder himself and cuddled against Luca, closing his eyes contently.

Garrett was delighted when Luca blew out his candles without any sort of prompting. That meant either Luca had remembered his instructions and held focus for longer than normal, that he'd had birthday parties in the past, or - the best option - both.

"Happy birthday, Luca," Garrett said gently. "Evelyn, could you cut the cake while I go get the surprise ready?" He headed for the living room and gave a soft whistle.

Watson's ears perked up, and he jumped off Luca's lap to go follow him.

A few minutes later, Garrett walked back in with Watson wearing a tiny birthday hat made for pets. "Surprise!" Garrett called gently. "Watson has a little hat. And, he has his own version of cake. Do you want to give him his slice of birthday cake before we eat ours?" he added, holding out a small cupcake shaped pet cookie.

"Happy birthday, Luca," Evelyn murmured as Garrett went to get their surprise, taking his hand when Watson ran off to follow and giving it a squeeze. "How about you help me, Hm? You hold the knife, and I'll help you make straight lines, okay?"

Luca looked after the others, at first, but took easily enough to the distraction, letting Evelyn hold his hand in hers and guide the way he cut with the knife so it would turn out even. She liked things that way, he knew, and she didn't want him to cut himself. He didn't mind having the help.

When Garrett came back with Watson, Luca gave them another of his small, pleased smiles at the sight. "Does he like it?" He couldn't tell. Watson was like him, sometimes. He didn't mind most things, like when Luca played with his paws or fell asleep holding him. His eyes lit up, though, when Garrett pulled out the pet treat, and he looked back and forth between it and the cake on the table. "I . . . I want him to eat with us."

Evelyn smiled and patted his hand, putting a plate with a freshly cut slice of cake on it - the Big Dipper Garrett had drawn for him - on the table in front of him. "He can have his special treat with us," she said, looking at Garrett and holding up a stern, accusatory finger. "Just this once." For Luca's fake birthday, she would let him eat at the table. She would sanitize it later.

"He does, I think. But maybe we should take it off so he doesn't get cake on it," Garrett pointed out. He gently started to remove the hat. But Watson meowed and pulled away. The hat was soft and kept his ears warm; he really enjoyed it. Garrett chuckled and shrugged. "Or I'll wash it later."

His face lit up in a grin when Evelyn said Watson could eat at the table this time. "You mean it? Very kind of you, Evelyn," he said happily. He set Watson down and gave Luca the little cupcake cookie so he could feed it to the cat when he was ready. Then Garrett sat beside Luca and waited to be served a slice of cake. "Thanks for cutting the cake, you both. It looks delicious!"

Only once everyone has been served did Garrett dig into the piece of cake. He hummed happily and closed his eyes. "Mmm. Best cake I've eaten in a long time. It's so moist," he murmured.

Watson sat patiently on the table, sniffing eagerly at the treat Luca had for him and licking his tiny lips.

Evelyn couldnt help but laugh softly at the way Watson protested losing his party hat. "Uh-oh, Garrett. I think you might have to get him a replacement hat while that one is in the wash." How strange. She had never met a cat that liked having something on its head.

Luca held the cookie, waiting patiently for Evelyn to serve both Garrett and herself, and when they were both seated handed it gently over. "Here, Watson. You have cake, too."

Despite her general distaste for paws on her table, Evelyn did have to smile at the way Luca and Garrett both treated Watson. Like a little baby, or just a tiny, precious friend. "You did a good job, you two." She said after she, too, had tried a bite of the cake, and idly reach over to take the candles out and set them on a napkin so they wouldn't accidentally get left in the cake when it was stored. "And nothing's on fire. It's a birthday miracle."

This birthday was different than any Luca had ever had, he thought, pleased that he got to eat the cake they had worked hard on together, and that Watson could join them too. Different, but a long way from being bad, even though there were some memories it brought to the surface that made his heart ache. Maybe, when their slices of cake were gone, and when it had got dark outside, they could sit out and watch the stars again.

Last edited:
But the birthday wasn't over yet. Detective Shiver was nearly jittery with excitement by the time everyone finished their cake and had cleaned up together. He'd been looking forward to giving Luca his gifts since he'd bought them. At long last, the cake was put away and the dishes and table were cleaned. Watson was back in Luca's hat with his new soft party hat.

It was time for presents.

"All right, Luca! Present time!" Garrett announced, attempting but failing to stifle his excitement. He hurried off to the other room and returned with two wrapped boxes. "This big one is from me and Evelyn, and this little one is from Watson," he added. He set the boxes delicately down on the table. "Go on, see what you've got!"

Garrett and Evelyn's gift included the different stones that could turn Luca's powers off, one stuffed turtle that did the same, and another stuffed turtle in a different color that was normal (in case Luca wanted something to cuddle but didn't want his powers turned off). The gift "from Watson" was a beginner's detective kit with a magnifying glass, a fingerprinting kit, a book about how to be a detective, and even a roll of caution tape just for fun.

Last edited:
Presents? Luca's expression went inquisitive, almost confused, where he sat peacefully petting Watson. He'd made cake and gotten to help decorate and eat it, and he had his friends with him, and now he got presents, too? It had been a long time since the phrase 'I have a present for you' hadn't made him feel vaguely nervous. It usually wasn't a nice present, but Garrett and Evelyn always gave him nice things.

"Go on," Evelyn said gently, sitting down nearby in case he needed to know it was okay to open the packaging. "They're yours."

He was careful and gentle in opening the little box first, amused by the idea of Watson giving him presents, though old enough to know it was some sort of joke. What was inside was a pleasant surprise. It made him feel like he was back in Garrett's office again, when the older man had let him touch the things in the bookshelf. Now he had some of his own. Once he'd inspected them a bit and set them carefully aside, he opened the bigger box, and stared down at the things inside.

"Ooh," he said softly, even before he'd reached for one, "They're very pretty."

Evelyn put a hand gently over one of his, glancing at Garrett. "Now, a fair warning before you touch them. Garrett had someone help him make these, and if you hold them it will be like holding his hand. They'll turn your gifts off while you hold them, in case there are times when you're feeling too loud and he can't make it over to spend time with us. We'll keep them in a box in your room, and I'll always be able to sit with you while you hold them, if you need me to."

Luca blinked at her, then looked at Garrett, then back at the pretty rocks. Hesitantly, he reached into the box and touched them one by one with just a fingertip, checking to see if they worked. "Oh. . ." It felt strange, when the quiet feeling came over him but only the rocks were there. Not bad, but strange. He wondered how they worked.

When he came across the turtle that didn't work, he pulled it gently out and looked at it, running a thumb back and forth over the plush fabric of its shell. "This one. . . is broken?"

Garrett watched with happy, glistening eyes when Luca delicately opened Watson's gift and examined each of the tools inside. Hopefully he'd have a chance to try them out soon enough - maybe tomorrow, he could offer Luca chance to use them in a safe place, or even at home first for practice.

He beamed proudly and shook his head when Luca discovered the second plush turtle. "Nope, it's not broken! I made sure one turtle was just normal. Then if you want something to cuddle with, but don't want your powers off, you can use that one."

Watson leaned up a bit, sniffing at the turtle and giving it a gentle lick.

"Happy birthday, Luca! I hope you like your gifts," Garrett added. He glanced over at Evelyn and smiled sheepishly. "Would you mind terribly if I had seconds of the cake? It's so good! And I'd like a piece with some sugar stars on it. I can serve myself, too," he added with a chuckle. "Just wanted to make sure it's okay that I'm eating another piece."

"Oh," Luca murmured softly, giving the safe turtle a gentle squeeze and looking down at Watson for a moment, then up at Garrett and Evelyn by turns. "Thank you."

Evelyn smiled gently for him and moved closer to press a gentle kiss to the top of his head. "You're very welcome, Luca. Happy birthday."

She gave his hair a gentle ruffle, then just gestured with an open hand to the kitchen where the cake had been covered to keep it safe, giving Garrett a small, hesitant smile. "You can have as much as you like. I'm not going to stop you."

It felt a bit strange that he wanted her permission to eat the thing he had made, and purchased all the ingredients for. Was she such a stickler that he was nervous about everything he did while in her home? She hoped he wasn't uncomfortable. She really only meant to act as a source of rules and regulations for Luca, so she could be sure he was eating well and wouldn't do things like eat so much cake he got sick. Garrett was an adult and knew his own limits. He could make his own decisions.

The detective was indeed a little nervous about setting a bad example for Luca at Evelyn's home. At his home, he knew exactly what the rules were, but he hadn't quite learned all the rules at Evelyn's yet. He wanted to make sure he didn't miss any. "Sounds like a plan! I'll just start with one more, and then come back for another one later," he decided.

He served himself a piece and carefully put the rest of the cake away again. Then he sat down, heartily enjoying his slice. "Say, it'll be dark out soon. How about we all go watch stars after this?" he offered.

Watson perked one ear up when Garrett gently tapped his fork on the side of his plate. "Mm! That reminds me," he added, swallowing his cake. "What's everyone's plans tomorrow? I was thinking - if you wanted to, Luca - we could all go to my apartment and make the secret hideout for Watson. Then I could teach you both some self defense moves and investigation skills!"

While Garrett was getting his cake, Evelyn sat down to retrieve her phone and take a few pictures of Watson in his party hat, then help Luca carefully box up the stones and the 'magic turtle' so they could be put in a safe place later on. They were just looking over his gift from Watson - which was going to make Evelyn both laugh and roll her eyes for days, she thought - when Garrett suggested they go star gazing again and immediately had all of Luca's attention.

"Can Watson come with us again?" He asked, hesitant but also clearly so eager Evelyn wouldn't have had the heart to say no even if she'd wanted to.

"That sounds like a great idea," she agreed, and tilted her head a bit thoughtfully at Garrett's next questions. "Oh, I'd almost forgotten you haven't done that yet. We don't have any real plans for tomorrow, so if you're not busy I'm sure it will be all right. Would you like to do that tomorrow, Luca?"

He only nodded, predictably, despite being fixated on the idea of seeing the stars together again. He still wanted to help build Watson a secret base.

"Perfect! And this time we'll be prepared. I've got something in my car. Hang on," Garrett added. He rushed outside, and returned with one of his heated blankets, stacked high with a few other items. "Behold! A heated blanket," he said dramatically. "Plus I brought some extra coats just in case. And pillows and blankets!" He wasn't planning on camping, but he'd been chilly last time and thought the others would appreciate a bit of extra warmth and comfort. "And of course Watson can come. He loves sitting with you."

He headed for the door cheerfully. Then he blinked. ". . . Hm. Could someone pull it open for me? It appears my arms are full."

Once someone had opened the door, he carried the supplies outside and spread them in the same spot they'd all sat last time. Then he plugged the blanket into an outdoor outlet, fluffed the pillows, and settled in. "All right. Star time!"

Evelyn's eyes went a little wide when Garrett came back into the room with a stack of blankets and other things, and only followed after him to get the back door as needed. "Someone came prepared." Was all she managed to say, and had the sneaking suspicion that she should get the sleeper couch ready for him. It was all right, if he wanted to stay the night, she just thought it a bit odd that he hadn't said anything yet.

Luca looked at her when she came back, eager but restrained, and she smiled helplessly at the sight of him waiting for her, like he needed her permission. "All right, I'll help Watson outside, and you go get your telescope, okay?"

He set Watson very gently down despite being excited, and hurried off down the hall to get it as she ushered the cat outside. "Come on, then, Watson. Your favorite person will follow you soon."

Garrett chuckled. "I keep them in my car for emergencies. And picnics," he explained. "But they'll be perfect for stargazing! And Watson's little hat will keep him warm." He pulled in a breath and sighed happily. "Say, would you save me a slice of cake for the next time I come over to visit? I get the feeling it'll be gone fast."

Watson made a little "mrrp" sound as he was set down. Then he did a little hurried shuffle, staying just far enough in front of Evelyn's hands that she couldn't reach him as she herded him outside. Then he stepped foot on the heated blanket. He paused for a moment, taking in the warmth. Then he purred and ran back to Evelyn, wrapping around her legs as though to thank her for guiding him to such a wonderful thing.

Then it was straight back to the blanket, where he flopped onto his side and rolled in delight.

"Aww, you like that, eh? Lucky you. You're coming home with me tonight and we've got one of those in the bed," Garrett told him happily.