(For Devs & Iwaku Users) What do you think about political correctness?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Everyone here is discussing political correctness as it has become, rather than what it was intended to be (okay, to be fair, @Jorick addressed this to some extent). It's like when you get responses to a thread about feminism that are a tirade against misandry and the oversensitivity of 14-year-olds on Tumblr. Those people aren't actually representing feminism; they're hijacking that ideology for different causes and motives.

It's pretty flawed to address a concept whose very definition has now become "too much of...". That's how we are all defining political correctness - as whatever the individual speaking feels is "too much/too far". Of course nobody is going to like "political correctness" if the way they see it is as whatever goes beyond what they consider the point of reason. The question "what do you think of political correctness" becomes meaningless. The real question then becomes "what is legitimately being respectful, and what is politically correct bullshit?" Everyone's line will be different.

In my opinion, political correctness as it was originally implemented in the public view wasn't such a bad idea. It's a concept that generally aims to enrich conversation with more understanding, by pointing out which words are considered offensive - 'buzz words' of a type, that distract from the message attempting to be conveyed. In a debate or discussion, it's very easy for someone to pick at your words rather than your content and meaning, and having an idea of what is or isn't acceptable to say present in the public mind means that that sort of non-productive nitpicking could hopefully be eliminated.

Somewhat ironically, it became the opposite, which @Brovo's post summed up wonderfully. That's where my line is drawn between "PC bullshit" and "general decency/an awareness of the use of offensive words being counterproductive". The moment at which its purpose was almost reversed so that people were so strangled by red tape about their vocal chords that whatever message they were trying to say became stifled: that's when the concept of "political correctness" had been hijacked, and made a detriment to rather than an aid for conveying meaning.

in my mum's colleague's girlfriend's office, which was a part of the Glasgow city council, they received a flyer telling them what terms were okay and not okay to use in the office. Yes, seriously. And hilariously, the term "politically correct" was on the fucking flyer. It said that the term "politically correct" implies that whatever somebody else said could be or was politically "incorrect" - and telling people that their political views are incorrect is, apparently, wrong and offensive to that person. They were told they had to use the term "situationally appropriate", instead. I swear I simultaneously burst into laughter and tears at hearing this bullshit.

But it's important to remember that it's somewhat dodgy to argue about a concept solely based on the hijacked version or definition. You see a tonne of people rejecting feminism because of Tumblrites and SJWs completely misinterpreting and misrepresenting its ideals in a very vocal manner; and those same people rejecting it because of that kind of crap often fully support male and female equality and, therefore, are feminists to some greater or lesser extent. Feminism as a movement is being stifled because all anybody discusses is the extreme and misguided version. The same goes here, with the concept of political correctness - it's important not to reject the notion out of hand just because it has been taken to a misguided extreme. That can very easily lead to a broken rubber band-esque snap back too far in the other direction, where we dismiss any concept of the fact that offensiveness is generally counterproductive as "PC bullshit", and we end up with Frankie Boyle as our guide for how to express ourselves because to do otherwise is "suppressing free speech".

There is a place for that concept in our lives, and we all acknowledge it, even if we no longer call it "political correctness" because that term has been diverted from its original intention/definition. It's not really as black and white as either throwing the concept out the window completely or suffocating freedom of expression. A balance is needed, both for the sake of human decency as well as for productivity of conversation.

Reactions: m1blue and Sidhe
The message is what should matter, not the individual words. Fucking hate political correctness. Fah.
src_1370718129598.png

"Oy vey! A logical response to political correctness?! It's like another Shoah to my people!"

(Sorry, I had to. >.>)

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
We need to look at the larger picture. In America and other "free" countries, you have the ability to be who ever you want. In other countries, you are brutally murdered for being a christian, being a certain race or a homosexual. That is something to get angry about. That is something that people should fight for. People need to get there heads out of their own butts, and start seeing whats really important.
Just saying, this happens in America, too...

Halo raises a fair point. These days, I really only see the term "political correctness" being bandied about by people as a defence for the way they're acting.

"OH, WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THINK I SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THAT ILL-TIMED AND INAPPROPRIATE JOKE? GOD, YOU'RE WAY TOO POLITICALLY-CORRECT. STOP BEING OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING."

No I'm not offended, and I'm not really into the whole PC thing. You're just being a cunt, is all.

Reactions: unanun and Sidhe
Halo raises a fair point. These days, I really only see the term "political correctness" being bandied about by people as a defence for the way they're acting.

"OH, WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU THINK I SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THAT ILL-TIMED AND INAPPROPRIATE JOKE? GOD, YOU'RE WAY TOO POLITICALLY-CORRECT. STOP BEING OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING."

No I'm not offended, and I'm not really into the whole PC thing. You're just being a cunt, is all.
To be honest that'd be hilarious to see happen.

"Hey man, that's a bit rude."

(Insert Grumpy's post)

"MY TUMBLR IS GONNA HEAR ABOUT THIS!"

It's all pretty situational though in regards to who says what and where and a million other variables.

Part 2 I suppose.

@Halo Ja, and? Civilization evolves, methods of resolving issues evolve with it.

Besides that, the example Jorick used of the movie theater isn't political correctness, that's common sense. Whether the person yelled "there's a fucking fire" or "there's an instance of prolonged chemical combustion resulting in excessive heat generation within this premises" is irrelevant. It's illegal because the message is directly harmful. Specifically, it results in physical harm, potential property damage, et cetera. The exact same thing should apply to false rape accusations and other such reputation-destroying activities which come from zero evidence claims, but that's another topic altogether, and a more complex one deserving of multiple sides and a great deal of thought and introspection.

Political correctness, on the other hand, doesn't give a shit if someone yells about a fire in a building. So long as the person who yells about the fire ensures that the words they use aren't offensive. So you can't say "there's a fucking fire", you can only say "there is a fire".

Essentially: When X action or behaviour results in Y consequence, deal with it appropriately. Someone screaming "nigger" out on the street, whilst likely an edgy wannabe vagabond white kid with a rich daddy, is merely displaying the unique colours of their character. While it may end up offending a black person, that isn't worth censoring the word from use altogether. Covering up the truth of something doesn't resolve the issue: Nigger is a dirty, disgusting, abhorrent word which evolved its meaning over time to what it is today. Pretending that it magically doesn't exist because we censored it and thus this will somehow resolve, say, destitution in black neighbourhoods, is exactly the kind of hypocritical, pointless, idiotic, and harmful thinking that political correctness shoves at people.

I do agree that some forms of censorship are actually honestly necessary when the result of the words has physical, harmful consequences. There aren't many instances of this, but to pretend they don't exist is foolish. As well, words--beautiful and ugly--should be shown and taught for what they are: Vulgarities, racial and sexual slurs, and so on, should be appropriately taught as tarnished language, as ugly words. Because they are. There are places where you shouldn't use such language, around small, impressionable children is one of those places for example. Social standards do exist for often legitimate reasons, even if they're antiquated and require updating to more modern, reasonable standards.

As for respect, I hold to two old lessons: Treat others how you wish to be treated, respect those further who earn it through actions of kindness, sacrifice, and loyalty.

Finally, as for Feminism... Whilst this is a different topic altogether, it was formed initially to win equal rights for women in what was once a fairly black and white argument: Equal working rights, voting rights, marriage rights, et cetera. They won these things. Now the remaining issues are less black and white, more grey, far more complex than they were before. Combine this with a movement that anyone can join simply by proclaiming themselves as such and you have an easily poisoned group. Feminism as a tag has been poisoned by nutbar social justice warriors (not to be confused with people who fight for equal rights or for the destitute and disenfranchised) who themselves are the byproduct of a poisoned education system.

Still, it's a long story, best done for a different topic, no?

Halo and Grumpy raise a good point, that actually goes hand in hand with what I was saying. We have started to see a rise of "Non Political Correct" Counter culture, mainly adapted by the more well off or people of a country's majority, who feel unduly censored. Actually no, Not the well off, the middle class, not to educated are a big representation of this group. These are people who feel they are not given attention, even if their needs are not met same the groups "PC's" care about.

This in turn breed adversity between groups and actually becomes a foot hold for immigrant hostile nationalists and other populist parties. I'm not kidding, Political correct censorship of old materials have been used as a battering ram for Far Right wing groups here in Sweden, to real success. Now in these cases, I thought it was nothing really wrong with the edits of children shows that potrayed black people in racist as fuck characters becouse as Bravo stated, we should not expose children to it. But it was done is such a heavy handed way, and with such poor timing and far more questionable choices of enforcing political correctness at other junctures, it became the straw that broke the camel backs.

Becouse people are conformists, and sudden, if slight changes to something that considerd innocent and wholesome, pisses people off. ANd populists thrive on this. Populist parties fucking love "political correct " when it is forced down peoples throats. Becouse they can seize of the displeasure it causes, and claim to be about "true virtues, like freedom" when having a fucked up agenda hidden from you.

And Brovo allready touched very well on the other things such as the absurdity of alot of the PC stuff.

Just saying, this happens in America, too...
Yes, but it is not as rampant. In Iran Christians families (Children included) were decapitated.

Israel gets bombed frequently in civilian areas from many countries.

Saudi Arabia burned a man alive because he was caught in homosexual acts.

These things are rare in America in comparison to other countries. IM just saying that in global scale of things, being offended by some ones opinion is ridiculously selfish and minute.

Yes, but it is not as rampant. In Iran Christians families (Children included) were decapitated.

Israel gets bombed frequently in civilian areas from many countries.

Saudi Arabia burned a man alive because he was caught in homosexual acts.

These things are rare in America in comparison to other countries. IM just saying that in global scale of things, being offended by some ones opinion is ridiculously selfish and minute.
Not to undermine your view on it. But there's a term for that.

It's something about getting upset at something minuscule and someone throws the "starving children in Africa" line as if that pertains to you.

And yeah, other countries suck. America has its issues, but what country doesn't?

Not to undermine your view on it. But there's a term for that.

It's something about getting upset at something minuscule and someone throws the "starving children in Africa" line as if that pertains to you.

And yeah, other countries suck. America has its issues, but what country doesn't?
I hear yah. I just think people need to toughen up and realize things are not as bad as they seem. That's all.

I have already addressed the original meaning of political correctness. I don't want politicians to say what they think I want to hear in ways that they think I want to hear it.

Now to address what PC has come to mean.

Today's PC says ~

"It is wrong to use slurs. Period." I agree with this. Period.

Today's PC says ~

"It is wrong to tell jokes that might cause offense." This is what politically correct behaviour was supposed to address. If you hold any position where it is understood that you represent another person or group, you should refrain from telling jokes that might misrepresent those you are associated with.

Today's PC says ~

"If it offends the majority or the current powers that be, it is wrong to say it." *This* is what the 1st amendment is speaking about. Even if the majority say one thing, I do NOT have to agree and I do not have to remain silent in my disagreement.

I'm a white kid. Do I get offended whenever someone calls me white? No. So why should you get offended when I call you black? Because you're not and "African-American", you've never seen Africa in your life.

It's as simple as that.

• Love
Reactions: Ashi and Akibahara
Finally, someone who gets it! Political correctness is a leftist tool. I'm not racist either, nor have I anything against those who are homosexual, but seriously! People have become such intolerant pansies. Too easily offended. If I say someone is "black," I'm not being racist. Black is a word used to describe those whose skin is dark or are of African descent. I'm not offending anyone, although someone might be offended by it. And ya know what? "African-American" isn't even correct in the English language. Africa is a continent, not a country! If a person from Africa must be called something in combination with "American" it should be the country they are from, such as "Kenyan-American" or "Rwandan-American." Kind of like you can't say someone from Europe is "European-American." It's whatever country they're from in Europe. Saying someone is a homosexual isn't offensive, more like descriptive. It's nicer than calling someone "gay" isn't it? I remember the days when "gay" meant "happy." And "faggot" used to mean "a pile of sticks." What happened to that?

Oopsies. I went on a rant.

Incredible.

Some people really do base their entire view on the "I saw it on South Park once" argument.

Reactions: Sidhe
You're right. How awful of a secular institution to suggest to it's employees they go for a slightly more open approach during the holiday season. It's almost as if the UK isn't just a fucking Christian country or something, but has a whole bunch of folks living here who kinda deserve to be considered part of the framework of society.

WAIT. SORRY. I'M FUCKING WITH THE DAILY MAIL'S "WAR ON CHRISTMAS" NARRATIVE. BAD GRUMPY. BAD.

If you don't want to be greeted with "Merry Christmas", don't live in a country founded on the morals of the Christian faith. I'm not a Christian, I don't really get upset about it. PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BEING SO SENSITIVE.

Reactions: Akibahara
Wait, Britain? "Founded on the morals of the Christian faith"?

You need to stop drinking the 'national narrative' Kool Aid, love. We made those up in the 19th Century to justify going to war with each other all the fucking time and stealing land from black people.

Whilst wearing pit helmets, of course. The pit helmets make it all okay.

Reactions: Brovo