For Country and Peace (Watase Yu x Eternalsinger13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evelynne would smile affectionately as she listened to Arikizo speak. "Don't know well? That is giving me credit. I don't know it at all ..." She mused with a chuckle. "I would hope not. I would hate to disappoint your parents already ..." She would say with a soft sigh. She would soon relax some as he kissed her cheek, leaning into the affectionate gesture. Despite the stress of the day and the current events, Evelynne was trying her best to still be herself with him. It was important to her for him to see that, despite all the stress and nervousness of the day, she was still herself and here for him.

Hearing his sigh of content made Evelynne smile. She loved that she could get such reactions from him so easily. She was a bit surprised that he didn't tease her, but she was grateful that he didn't. Apparently he came to the same conclusion that she had. Now wasn't the time to be playful, especially with their nerves being so shot and them being so flustered from the day. Her concern for Arikizo's safety and not meeting everyone's expectations didn't help either. Rovan came to mind for a short second, but she quickly pushed it away. That would push her worry over the edge, which she didn't need right now.

Smiling as he thanked her, she would nod her head gently. "It is the least I could do." She would murmur in response. Swallowing her own nerves as they entered the ballroom, Evelynne forced herself to take her own advice. Focusing only on Arikizo, Evelynne forced the knot in her stomach to loosen as they were ushered to the center of the room. Matching his grin as he spoke, she would nod her head nervously as he took the first step. Watching his movement and footwork, Evelynne mirrored him some, twirling just out reach at the last second. "I know he will get me eventually, but might as well have some fun with it while I can."

As the dance started up, the crowd watched with baited breath. However, Arikizo blocked everything out except the music and Evelynne. At first, he was holding back. Not enough for it to be obvious to the onlookers, but enough for Eve to get the basics of the dance so the dance didn't last only a few seconds. She seemed to be doing pretty well with it, and he got really close to catching her a couple times before she swiftly twirled from his grasp. 'She catches on fast.' He thought admiringly. 'A good skill indeed.' They had a few stumbles, small little mistakes here and there where Eve's dress got in the way, but otherwise it was an impressive feat for both of them. The music continued to speed up, and Ari was beginning to lose his breath a bit, trying in earnest to catch her now. But Evelynne seemed to be having fun with the dance, and now that she had figured it out she was up for the challenge.

Not much longer after that, the dragon prince managed to catch his bride, the scarf lightly ensnaring her wrist. The crowd broke into thunderous applause and cheers, but Ari still ignored them. His shoulders raised a bit with each breath, his pulse nearly as loud as the cheering, and for a moment he just stood where he was; a step away from Evelynne, his eyes locked on hers, a happy grin on his lips. Then he gently shifted the scarf, moving her wrist very carefully so he didn't hurt her, and moved toward her; placing a gentle kiss to her wrist, just below the fabric, before unwinding the scarf and stepping back again. A light blush colored his cheeks, though it blended with the slight redness of his face from the dance, but he kept a playful grin. "You keep finding ways to impress me, Evie." He murmured, seeing if she minded his new little nickname. It had been in the back of his mind for a little bit, but today they had been constantly surrounded by guests as well as their families. He hadn't wanted to speak it first around her parents, nor her brother and cousin.

"Very well done." The king's voice broke Arikizo from his trance, turning his attention to his parents as they approached the couple; with Eve's family not too far behind. "You both danced impressively. Especially the princess." Ari gave his father a surprised look; he would have never expected him to compliment a mortal. But Eve deserved the praise, so he made no comment. "She did indeed." The queen agreed, giving Evelynne a smile. "And in that dress no less." Ari's smile remained on his lips as he stepped to stand beside Eve, wrapping one arm around her waist. She appeared a bit winded as well from the dance, but not exceedingly so. He had been worried that she may become exhausted if he kept the dance going too long; at least, that had been his initial plan. Toward the end, she had been trying her best to keep up with him, and nearly matched him. Or so it had appeared to him at least, as well as his parents. "We will be setting out the feast in an hour or so." The king added. "You two should change into something more suitable." "It would be a shame to ruin such fine wedding apparel with food stains, after all." Ari chuckled, glancing to Evelynne, then back toward his parents before they headed off to address the preparations for the food. He wasn't sure if her family would speak to them as well, or just flatter them as his parents had done. Or perhaps her sibling and cousin would approach them.

"For someone who has never seen the dance, you did a very admirable job at it." Arikizo murmured softly, sneaking a gentle kiss to her cheek. "You even got a compliment from my parents. That is even more difficult than that dance by far. And even more impressive. But you surely deserved every word of praise." He was trying to ease her nerves, knowing how apprehensive she had been about the dance. And in his eyes, they couldn't have done much better. It could have been a lot worse.

((I kept rhyming XD ))

Evelynne prided herself on being a fast learner. Particularly in situations like this one. Her focus was split between the dance and tuning everyone else out. She was grateful that Ari was holding back some at the start, it gave her the time she needed to catch onto the steps. Her dress did cause a few small mistakes, but nothing to overly noticeable. It was bound to happen in a dress this large. It was fun, anyway. Besides, it gave herself a chance to put her stamina to the test.

As Arikizo caught her wrist, Evelynne was panting softly, her face a bit flushed. Her stamina was better than she had expected. She was still more winded than Ari, but not half as winded as a normal human would have been if they had stuck it out that long. As the crowd roared with approval, Eve focused on Ari as they stood only a step apart as she matched his happy grin. A blush would soon color her cheeks as he gently raised her wrist, kissing it gently before he released her wrist. "I must if I am to keep you interested ..." She mused softly, an affectionate smile tugging at her lips at the new pet name. "Evie ... I like it." She whispered softly before their parents moved in.

Looking to the kings and queens, Eve placed her focus on Arikizo's parents first. Hearing their compliment, Evelynne would blink lightly in surprise as she returned the Queen's smile. "You are to kind, your majesties ..." Evelynne would manage with a light bow of her head. At their request to change, Evelynne would nod her head gently. "Of course, your majesties." She would murmur, glancing to Arikizo with a smile as he parents disappeared. Her parents took their place, looking to the prince first. "Impressive, Arikizo. I had never seen anything like it ..." Roderick would say first. Ana would speak up next, a faint look of concern dancing over her features as she lowered her voice. "You need to be more careful, Eve. Not even our guards could have kept up like that in such a physical dance." Roderick would sigh, giving his daughter and her husband an apologetic smile. "Of course, mother. I'm sorry. If you will excuse us though, we are going to go change for dinner. We will be joining you back home though, spend our honeymoon there. We will have more time to talk then." Eve would say before she gave her mother and father each a hug.

Taking Ari's arm, she would move him away from the crowd, heading towards the doors before anyone else could stop them. They would get complimentary praise as they passed the patrons, Evelynne smiling politely and murmuring thank you as she went. Looking to Ari as he spoke, Evelynne would grin "Thank you, Ari ... Honestly, I didn't expect such praise from your parents." She murmured as she began to relax. With the dance over and knowing they had an hour of alone time to change, it was the boost she needed to get through the rest of the evening. "Let's get upstairs and get out of this oversized, overtight clothes and into ones far more comfortable. Give us a moment of peace before dinner." Eve would say with a happy grin.

"I must if I am to keep you interested ..." Arikizo chuckled, shaking his head. "You never have to impress me to hold my interest." He answered softly. "Being as you usually are is interesting enough for me." He grinned as Evelynne spoke of his new nickname for her. "I'm glad. Then I have a nickname that is all my own. And only I call you by that name." He turned his attention to his parents as they approached, and was glad that the conversation was light. Neither of them needed any more stress at the moment. Although, now that the dance was over, a large load had been lifted. Once Eve's parents began to speak, he gave them a friendly smile. "Thank you, your majesty." He answered warmly, not in his typical tone of forced politeness. Unlike his father, he knew for sure that the human king had no intentions of stirring up another confrontation between the kingdoms. So there was no need to be forced; it would only appear suspicious to the monarchs anyways.

As Queen Ana spoke, the prince listened closely to her words. Had she feared Evelynne would be hurt? No, that wasn't it... as he thought about it, he realized it was likely tied to her gift, and the mother's concern about such a thing being revealed by accident. He hadn't even thought of that. If anyone, especially his own family, had been suspicious of his bride, that dance could have been a red flag if she had been too skilled at it. He lowered his voice as well, hoping that no one with ill intentions had taken Eve's performance as reason for suspicion. "I should have tried to dissuade my parents." He murmured apologetically. "Eve's secret is safe with me; but I hadn't even considered that the dance could have revealed it. I should have been more thoughtful."

As the two headed away from the crowds, passing by guests and receiving several compliments and comments. Arikizo kept up short conversations here and there, but tried not to be sidetracked. "I didn't expect the praise either. But we earned it." He responded, smiling. A moment passed, and they were heading into the hallways before he made another comment. "I'm sorry I put you through that." He still felt a bit guilty that he hadn't thought of her gift, and how much the dance could have shown. He could have put Evelynne in serious danger if her endurance had caught a malevolent eye. The prince didn't even know if it already had. If something happened to Eve because this, it would be on his hands; likely, no one would see that, but the burden would fall on his shoulders. As she spoke happily of finally being able to change, he forced a smile back onto his face and nodded. "Yes, let's. I'm sure this dress is getting to be very annoying indeed. I at least escaped from my suit jacket. You haven't been so fortunate."

They went on their way up to their room. It wasn't until they reached his bedchamber... now their bedchamber, as of that morning... that he realized the true extent of this arrangement. "Would you like me to fetch Martha to help you change out of your dress?" He asked softly, closing the door behind them. A light blush colored his cheeks, but he tried not to appear shy; he didn't want to make Evelynne feel uncomfortable or embarrassed, so he didn't want to assume that she'd want him helping her change. That was for later that night, wasn't it? The thought itself made his cheeks darken even more. 'I'm acting like a child.' He thought chidingly. However, just being around Evelynne made him shy but playful, prone to blushing easily, and becoming flustered was not even remotely a rare occurrence between them. "Unless you would prefer my assistance." It was a weak attempt at a tease, and Ari couldn't help but glance away, trying to distract himself. "Perhaps I should just deal with changing my own clothes." He mumbled, moving to head away from the door.

Evelynne would smile affectionately as she listened to Ari. "That is sweet of you ..." She would say before she giggled from his response about her new nickname. "Indeed. As I do you, Ari. I have never heard anyone ever call you that, so I do like to think it is mine alone for you." She murmured in response. He seemed much more relaxed already, which she was glad for. She hated seeing him so stressed knowing there was nothing she could do about it. His warm response to her parents made her smile. He seemed much more comfortable with her parents, which she was grateful for.

Looking between him and her mother, Evelynne shared a look with her father who sighed gently. "Ana, dear ..." He murmured under his breath, smiling apologetically to his daughter and her husband. Waving a dismissive hand, Roderick would respond in a hushed tone. "No need, my boy. You couldn't have known, so there is nothing for you to apologize for." He would say as he shot a look to his wife, who proceeded to flush in embarrassment. "Father is right, I cannot prevent what I do not know. I will be more careful in the future. Now ... please enjoy the rest of the party until dinner ..." Evelynne would finish, kissing her father's cheek in gratitude before they couple hurried off.

Once they were in the hallways, Eve would look to Ari as he spoke once more. Frowning, she would shake her head gently. "Again, not your fault Ari." She murmured in response in a hushed tone. "My mother is an excessive worrier, that is not your fault. I didn't even know what else I was or am capable of, how can you protect me from revealing what we don't even know." She would finish in her same hushed tone. Seeing his forced smile, Eve would stop him, taking both of her hands in hers. "Ari, please don't fret over this. None of this is your fault. Okay?" She would say to him softly.

Once he answered, she would let them continue the short walk to their bedchamber. At his question, Evelynne would blink gently as she mulled it over. The more prominent his blush became, the more it became clear that she should indeed summon Martha. In all honesty, she would prefer his assistance, but that realization made a blush color her own cheeks. Besides, she didn't want him to make him more flustered than he already was. "It's alright, focus on changing. I'll get Martha ..." She managed to say before a familiar knock found her ears. Peeking out the door, there stood Martha with an elegant purple and gold strapless evening gown resting discreetly over her arm. "Perfect timing, Martha. I was just coming to look for you." Evelynne would say as she waved Martha inside and to the bathroom. "I'll change in the bathroom, Ari ..." She would say, kissing him on the cheek before disappearing into the bathroom.

Some time passed before the bathroom door opened. First would come Martha, the large wedding gown in her grasp as she left the room, careful to keep her gaze to the floor in case Arikizo wasn't finished getting dressed just yet. As the bedchamber door clicked closed, Evelynne would slip out of the bathroom. Her long, wavy brunette locks had been pulled back in a thick braid with small golden flower clips were placed through out the braid. The strapless sheath purple evening gown pooled a bit at her feet thanks to the small train, the subtle gold embroidery throughout making the dress pop against her lightly tanned skin. "As much as I didn't want to pull my hair back, it seemed more appropriate for dinner ..." She mused gently as she slid into the room, her gaze falling onto her husband as she sank into a chair. "Hopefully your parents will approve. However, I can breath with ease in this dress, which makes it a winner in my book ... " She would muse with a chuckle.

Arikizo smiled and nodded. "Only you. That's what makes it so special." As they spoke with Evelynne's parents, his concerns from earlier began to prick at the back of his mind. About the poisoning... Rovan... what if his brother had noticed? No, his sibling had been watching them like a hawk earlier. There was very little chance that he hadn't taken note of her stamina. Or her skill, if nothing else. He feared it would only make matters worse with his sibling. The prince was very glad that they were heading out to Evelynne's country soon enough, and out of Rovan's reach. At King Roderick's words, he tried to push aside the guilt, but found it easier said than done. "Thank you, your majesty." was all he could muster in response. His gaze turned to Eve as she spoke as well, and a smile began to return to his lips. A troubled feeling still lurked in the back of his mind though as they walked through the halls. His wife's attempts to reconcile his guilt helped bit by bit, but there was still the thought that she could have been, or could currently be, in danger; and he may have been able to prevent that. She stopped him, and he glanced away for a moment, knowing his forced smile wouldn't fool her. As she spoke, however, his gaze returned to hers, and a bit of a true smile began to appear on his lips. "Thank you, Evie." He murmured, leaning in to place a light kiss on her lips. "You're right. I'm just being paranoid."

Ari took note of the blush that began to color Evelynne's cheeks not long after he mentioned helping her with her dress. So he wasn't the only one that was flustered by this. That was a bit more comforting. She would have her chambermaid help her, and spare him from becoming even more flustered and nervous. If he had been flustered earlier just helping loosen her dress a little, he knew he'd be even worse helping her change. The two women headed into the bathroom after the prince returned the gentle kiss to Eve's cheek, smiling slightly at her until she was out of sight. 'She's so thoughtful.' He thought as he headed toward his wardrobe to find a change of clothes. He pulled out a pair of black trousers that were a bit looser than the ones he currently wore. He hadn't realized how constricting his suit pants had been until he'd changed out of them. It was even more of a relief to finally remove the ruffled thing... even he didn't know what it was called or it's purpose other than looking fancy... that had been attached around his throat, as it had been nearly choking him the whole day. The shirt he pulled out was still a button-up, but wasn't as fitted so it was much more comfortable.

The prince had slipped it onto his shoulders just as Martha left the bathroom, carrying Evelynne's dress out of the bedchamber. Arikizo turned, glancing over his shoulder a bit. "That dress is stunning." He said as she walked over toward him and took a seat. He chuckled at her comment about her hair as he worked to button up his shirt. "Sometimes it can't be helped. It would be quite embarrassing if your hair fell into your food." With that, he untied his hair from the ponytail it had been put in for the wedding and fixed it into a low ponytail that was behind his back instead of resting on his shoulder. "I'm sure my parents will be fine. You look more dressed up than I do. If anything, they would scold me before making any comment toward you. And you do look more comfortable in that dress. You seemed very stiff earlier." He laughed before continuing. "I'm sure I wasn't much better." He finished buttoning his shirt and sat down in the chair beside Evelynne. He reached over and took one of her hands in his, raising it to his lips as he gently kissed the back of it. "I'm sorry I was too childish to help you change. You'd think being hundred of years old would help with that... but apparently not." Ari mused with a soft chuckle. At least he knew how to laugh at his own shortcomings. "And thank you, for being thoughtful."

While they were stopped in the hall, Eve would smile knowingly as he thanked her and mentioned he was being paranoid. "Ari, after all we have been through? You are being rightly paranoid. I don't judge you for that. I just hate seeing you feel guilty about not preventing something we honestly couldn't prevent. We can't protect what we don't know in the first place." She would murmur to him in a hushed tone once she had returned the kiss.

Back in their bedchamber, Evelynne would smile to Ari. "Thank you, Ari. You look quite handsome yourself ..." She would manage, a blush beginning to color her cheeks as she realized his shirt wasn't buttoned yet. Meaning she caught a glimpse of his bare chest. Returning her focus to what Ari was saying as he chuckled, Eve would frown gently. "I blame your brother. His comment about how he finds me more attractive with my hair back and/or up still makes my skin crawl ... I would much rather chance my hair falling into my food than know that I am more attractive to him like this ..." She murmured with a scowl. Pushing thoughts of Rovan from her mind, Eve would watch Arikizo as he fixed his ponytail into a more comfortable position. "Personally, I think you look fine. If you want, slip on a comfortable, yet nice jacket. That should appease them." She mused before giggling. "I would love to see you wear that dress and not seem stiff. Particularly when your entire focus is on getting just enough air so you won't pass out thanks to how tight and constricting it is." She would say as finished buttoning his shirt and sat down.

Smiling as he kissed the back of her hand, Evelynne would shake her head gently. "You don't need to apologize." She would begin, smiling affectionately. "It is a big step in a short amount of time for us. From barely meeting a matter of days ago and living in separate quarters to being spouses and sharing living and dressing space. It's quite an adjustment for both of us." She continued, squeezing his hand gently. "We can deal with that hurdle together later, when we are both ready and don't have more guests or family to deal with. And no need to thank me, the thought had flustered me as much as you. So really, I was helping the both of us ..." Evelynne would finish with a giggle.

Arikizo nodded at Evelynne's comment. "It was less about your gift, more about what could happen if anyone found anything suspicious." He murmured. "I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you, even if all of this was just an unfortunate coincidence. That's why it was bothering me." However, by the time both of them had finished changing, those worries were greatly faded from his mind. The prince noticed the blush that colored his wife's cheeks, and quickly attributed it to the fact that he hadn't finished with his shirt. He chuckled and grinned. "I see I'm not the only flustered one." He teased playfully, daring to do so now that they had a little time alone and out of sight. Perhaps it would help their nerves a bit. "But I'm glad you consider me handsome. It would be a shame otherwise." As the topic turned toward Rovan, his smile faded a bit, as did hers. "I would hope my parents would keep him away from us, for today at the very least. Besides, he won't get the chance to try anything sneaky like that again, I promise." He gently touched her braided hair. "It does suit you well though, I have to agree with him on that count."

"You think so?" Ari mused as she commented on his attire. "Perhaps a jacket would help. As for that dress of yours, I have no doubt that breathing was a large issue. For me, it would be even more impossible. I wouldn't even fit in it, even if I was closer to your size." As Eve spoke of how quickly everything had happened between them, which was understandable given the situation surrounding their marriage and whatnot, he nodded and smile slightly. "To think we only met a week ago, and look at us now." He mused. "We would have been married even sooner if it wasn't for the incident earlier this week. Even then, I guess we could say we had been sharing this room since then. You never left my side, after all." He gently squeezed her hand in return, smiling. Ari couldn't help but laugh at her final comment. "Good to know." He teased. "Let's just hope our families do not try to rush us beyond this wedding. Then again, perhaps neither of our parents had expected us to turn out like this. With such a bond between us in such a short time. They probably didn't expect it to be a romantic set-up."

For a little while, the two stayed as they were, sitting and talking to distract themselves from the worries of the day. With the wedding finished, and the ball as well, all that remained was the feast, which was likely to be much less troublesome out of the three. Things were beginning to wind down for the couple, which Arikizo was glad for. He wasn't sure how much more stress he could have taken. But when dinner time drew near, a knock at the door of the bedchamber drew the prince's attention. Martha had returned earlier after packing away Evelynne's wedding dress, and no guests should have been allowed to the second floor of the castle. "It's probably just a servant sent to fetch us." He murmured as he rose from his seat and headed toward the door. It was already open before his hand touched the knob. "So this is where you two have been hiding." Ari gave his brother a warning look, not wanting to deal with him right now. "What a lovely surprise. What warrants your presence, brother?" "You two keep running off so quickly I haven't had the chance to congratulate you." "Well, you've said it now, so leave." Arikizo tried to shut the door on his sibling, but Rovan caught it. "Not so fast." The older male's voice lowered, and he gave a quick glance down either side of the hallway. "There is something I have to discuss with you, Arikizo." "And it can't wait until the morning." "Not if you value your life."

Last edited:
Evelynne would listen quietly as Arikizo went more in depth about what was bothering him. He was so caring and protective. It made her heart skip a beat every time he spoke that way. Thankfully, once they had both changed, and now that they had a moment to relax by themselves, those worries seemed to have vanished for the time being. At his playful comment, she would giggle with a light nod. "I thought we had established that already ..." She would say teasingly. With the topic changed to Rovan, Eve would frown gently as she nodded her head in agreement. "I would hope not, but that doesn't mean I am going to let my guard down." As he touched her braid, she would smile affectionately. "That makes me feel a little better about it. Your opinion is all that matters."

Evelynne would soon nod her head gently in answer to his question. "Mmhmm, though I might wear a jacket, just in case. Let's not chance any complaints from your parents." She would muse before giggling. "The image of you waddling around in my wedding gown is far to amusing ..." Evelynne would say, chuckling loudly for a moment before she contained herself again. "Of course I never left your side, I wasn't about to take any chances. Still not." She would say as he squeezed her hand. At his comment about their parents, Eve would chuckle. "We'll see. I'm sure my parents are secretly hoping for grandchildren soon. The question is when will they vocalize said hope ..." Evelynne would say with a sigh and smile.

Eve enjoyed their alone time. The relaxed conversation and playful teasing. It was nice to be able to forget the worries of the day and just enjoy Arikizo. Evelynne had nearly forgotten about the feast when the knock on the door came. Glancing from Ari to the door, Evelynne would nod her head gently. "I'm sure. As much fun as skipping dinner would be, our parents would not be pleased ..." Evelynne would with a giggle as she stood just as he opened the door. Hearing Rovan's voice, Eve would freeze in place, her features going white as she listened to the pair converse. She could feel a knot forming in her stomach, her heart dropping at Rovan's last comment. Moving forward, Evelynne would pause to the side behind Arikizo so that she could still see Rovan. "Rovan ..." She muttered calmly, her features a carefully placed neutral mask. Underneath, Evelynne was reeling. "What does he want? What is going to do?" Placing a hand on Arikizo's arm, Evelynne would spare a glance at him as she fought to get her heart beat under control.

Arikizo nodded. "Then I'll do that." He answered before turning to his wardrobe again and searching around for a little bit for a jacket. "Oh, I'm sure that is a very funny image. I don't want to imagine it." He soon pulled out a black jacket that went well with his current attire, so he slipped it over his shoulders, not bothering to button it up. "There. Better?" Ari turned toward her, taking his place in the chair beside hers. A smile quirked his lips as she spoke of not taking any chances, and never having left his side when he was ill. "I glad the feeling is mutual." On the topic of grandchildren and her parent's assumed desire for little ones, he kept his smile. He doubted his parents would push such a thing in this situation; Evelynne being mortal and whatnot. "The question then would be if they could deal with dragon grandchildren." He responded. "Or half-dragon, more likely. Though, since this is now your permanent home, it would be my family that would have to put up with them."

Ari had been thoroughly enjoying their quiet alone time. It was nice to get away from the bustle of the wedding guests and just relax for at least a little bit. Of course, dinner was still on the horizon, so they weren't done just yet. He hadn't foreseen any huge issues that could occur during the meal, so the last event of the evening would be much easier than the previous ones. "May I come in, so we can speak without worrying about prying ears?" 'The only prying ears around this room would be yours.' Ari thought, but was finally nudged back by his sibling before he could refuse. A grin quirked the older brother's lips as he heard Evelynne mutter his name, and he dared to peek around his sibling for a moment. "My my, you look ravishing-" "Don't you dare speak to my wife like that!" Rovan chuckled, regaining his footing after Arikizo had pushed him away during the outburst. "I see you've gained some bite. That poison did wonders for your temper. And that poison is precisely the reason for my visit." The younger prince narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean? Do you intend to try that scheme again?"

"Me trying to poison you?" Rovan responded, appearing a bit puzzled. "You honestly believe that I'm the one who tried to kill you?" "It wouldn't surprise me." Arikizo muttered, never letting his gaze wander from his brother. He had placed his hand over Evelynne's, gently squeezing it. This whole situation was making no sense, and he feared his sibling was up to no good. "I'm hurt that you would suspect me." The crown prince answered. "We may have our differences, and I know our rivalries get in the way, but I would never try to kill you, Arikizo." Ari gave his brother a look of shock; and disbelief; and suspicion; and altogether, utter confusion. "Just hear me out. It's your choice to believe me, but I would hate to see something happen to you. Especially for Ev-" Rovan corrected himself before Ari could react. "Princess Evelynne's sake." The younger male narrowed his eyes, wary and expecting some kind of trap. "You're skirting around the issue. Get to the point." "There are spies here, Arikizo. I have yet to figure out their origins, but I know they are not from here, nor from Thiandra." "And how did you figure that out?" "Well, it would be nice to figure out who tried to kill me too."

Evelynne would nod her head gently once he slid on the black jacket. It went well with his current attire and also dressed it up a bit, which should appease his parents. "Mmhmm. Your parents shouldn't complain now." She would muse with a smile as he returned to his chair. At his comments about children, Evelynne would smile lightly. "They would have too, wouldn't they? My parents won't push the topic under the circumstances, but the subject will come up eventually, I'm sure. Despite it technically being a political marriage, I know my father wants grandbabies some day ... Particularly from me ..." She would finish with a chuckle and a gentle shake of her head.

Rovan was the last person Evelynne wanted to see or deal with today. She was hoping to get away tomorrow morning with Ari and not having to deal with Rovan at all until after they returned from their honeymoon in Thiandra. Obviously, they hadn't been so lucky. As Rovan commented about how she looked, a scowl would tug at her lips. Before she could say anything, Arikizo had reacted for her, his outburst catching her a bit off guard. Evelynne simply kept quiet as she watched the conversation.

She didn't fully believe Rovan's puzzled expression when their suspicions about it being him were finally vocalized. Grateful for Ari's reassurance, Evelynne kept her hand in place. When Rovan mentioned how he was hurt by their suspicion, Evelynne had to bite back a laugh and hold back her comment. "He has feelings?" She would think to herself. At the mention of spies, Evelynne had to fight to keep her features neutral. "No offense Prince Rovan, but you realize how unlikely that sounds coming from you?" Eve would finally say, taking a step forward so that she was no longer behind her husband, but still close by his side. "What other country would want to cause such trouble? The war between our countries was just as devastating on other countries as it was ours. It doesn't make sense. And when did this life attempt happen? The King and Queen have mentioned nothing of it ..."

"I would hope not." Arikizo responded before dismissing the concerns about dinner. He was dressed up and comfortable as well, so both sides should be appeased. "I'm sure it will come up at some point." He murmured on the topic of children, nodding. "My parents may not be too fond about having mixed blooded grandchildren, but given that they set this up, they know they'd have no right to complain. More than likely, they'd be neutral on the subject."

Arikizo had expected Rovan to try something, although he would have thought it would be after dinner. The fact that he went out of his way to come here made him even more on edge. His actions were nothing short of normal, and his claims were suspicious. Especially when the mention of spies came up. Ari couldn't help but chuckle softly at Evelynne's comment, despite his attempts to hide it. When she stepped up to stand beside him, he gave her a worried look, not wanting Rovan to have any chance to harm her. Although the other male seemed more interested in stealing her away rather than hurting her. The crown prince let her finish her statement before he responded. 'Typical Evelynne. Always the clever one with a snarky response.' "Perhaps in your eyes it is unlikely. I find it more unlikely that I would want to put the entire country in danger by messing with the line of succession. Arikizo is the spare, after all. If anything were to happen to our parents and I, he would be heir. Without that back-up, our line is one link weaker, and we dragons can't afford to have that happen, can we?" "Get to the point." Arikizo muttered, giving his older sibling an annoyed look. The elder sibling chuckled before continuing. "So impatient. Anyhow, if I saw Kizo as a threat, I would have gotten rid of him long before now. But weakening the crown by hurting him would put us all in peril should disaster strike. Sorry to say, even you are barely worth that price, dearest princess."

Rovan ducked Arikizo's swing as the younger brother tried to lash out. He laughed, clearly enjoying getting on his sibling's nerves. "I swear, if you don't leave Evelynne alone-" "Temper, temper, Arikizo. No need to be so loud. I was merely making a point." The crown prince turned his attention back to Evelynne to continue answering her previous comments. "Not that you or your kingdom would know of this, but there have been several attempts at war toward our kingdom. Sparking another war with Thiandra would leave us open for a counterattack again, especially if one of the heirs has already been disposed of. It may not be a country that has associated itself with either of our countries, and is going through another in efforts to find a weak point to strike at." Arikizo listened closely to this explanation, trying to think it all through. How did his sibling know so much of this plan if he himself was not involved? Or was this all some carefully crafted story? He wasn't buying this, but there was a bit of doubt. After all, another war with the mortal kingdom would leave them with their backs turned to the other countries, and one that is not being hurt already by the war could easily slip in undetected and strike. But he wasn't going to let his sibling woo him into false security with this until he had proof. "And what about the attempt on your life? How did this investigation of yours begin?"

"I was poisoned the same day as you." Rovan answered. "Mine was far less serious, because I'd only ingested a small amount. Lucky for me, I don't like my tea too sweet, and the healer said that Belladonna has a very sweet taste to it. I only got a sip of it, so my symptoms were weak compared to yours. Mother and father didn't even bother to visit me, they were so worried over you and if the wedding was going to still happen." 'Was he jealous?' Ari thought, sensing a bit of bitterness in his sibling's voice as he spoke. 'No, he could be acting. But... that does sound like our parents. If he was only slightly sick, they would be more concerned with me.' "The fact that both of our illnesses were on the same day, the day that guests from allied countries were arriving, made me suspicious." "Have you spoken to father about this?" "No." Rovan answered with the same embittered tinge to his words. "They've been so busy the past few days with the wedding preparations that they have rarely even spoken to me. But what do you expect? After all, this marriage was their key to ensuring our kingdom's safety. From Thiandra, at least."

Everything about Rovan was suspicious. His actions. His words. The lot of it. Seeing Ari's worried look, Evelynne gave his arm a reassuring squeeze. He couldn't expect her to hide behind him forever. Even under the circumstances. She listened to Rovan anyway. Though what he was saying made at lease a bit of sense, Evelynne still didn't believe any of it. He never once showed any care for keeping the royal family strong and in one piece before then. All she had ever seen from him was how much he cared about himself. At his comment about her, she didn't let it phase her. If anything, Rovan most likely said it to get a reaction from them, which she wasn't about to give him. However ...

Before she could say or do anything to stop him, Ari was taking a swing at Rovan who easily dodged it. "Arikizo! Stop!" She muttered, grabbing his other arm and tugging him back the best she could. If he did come back, she would meet his gaze, whispering quietly. "He wants a reaction and you're giving it to him. Calm down ..." Is what she would say to him, resting a hand on his chest as she moved her gaze bvack to Rovan as he continued. "You're right, we wouldn't. We were to busy trying to save our civilian filled villages that your army so kindly lit on fire to worry about who else were coming after you ..." Evelynne would say before she could stop herself. Listening further, Evelynne found herself scowling. "You know quite a bit for someone who just said that they don't know. This is either theory or quite a cooked up story. Unless you have proof ..." Eve would say neutrally, her voice calm.

She would then listen to Ari's question and Rovan's response. It was all rather convenient, to say the least. Not even the healer had mentioned the similarity between the two brothers when he had come in. You would think that would have been mentioned once he had done his tests on their blood to find out what caused the ailment. Evelynne would spare a glance back at Ari as she continued to listen. Rovan did seem genuinely bitter and jealous, but Eve knew how easily one could come across as such without meaning it. "Still ... With something this serious, despite the preparations ... They would listen if you told them your suspicions, especially with both sons apparently at risk." Evelynne would muse lightly as she returned her gaze back to Rovan.

Arikizo placed his hand over Evelynne's as she gently squeezed his arm, giving her a small smile. He knew she would fight if Rovan tried anything, and didn't expect her to just sit quietly and let him do all the protecting. But at the moment, he didn't know what his brother was scheming, and it scared him a bit. Besides, the looks his sibling kept giving her was pissing him off; even though he knew his brother was doing that for exactly that reason. Eve made it look so easy to ignore him. Perhaps she was just better at masking her emotions than him. He had never had to, nor ever done so, before. She seemed to have had a lot of practice in the past. Add the stress and paranoia that still lingered in the back of his mind, and the young prince was a walking time bomb.

Ari reacted to Rovan's comment without thinking, snapping at that moment out of annoyance. When Evelynne clutched onto his arm and tried to pull him back, he reluctantly retreated again, glaring at his brother before looking to his wife. "I know. I'm sorry. He is being a pain in the ass, and I'm really not in the mood to handle this right now." He whispered, knowing she felt the same way. "You make it look so easy to ignore him." Her gentle touch on his chest calmed him a bit, and he tried to concentrate on that instead of his sibling. Rovan chuckled at the princess's outburst, enjoying her snark. She was much more collected than his sibling, more intelligent, more clever. He liked that about her; she wasn't afraid to speak her mind, even if her expression gave nothing away. "Touche, princess." At her scowl, he couldn't help but grin. His hands raised in mock surrender, chuckling again. "You caught me. I've always had a knack for theories. All I really know is that both of us were poisoned by the same plant on the same day. The rest may be coincidence, but that at least is suspicious enough to warrant a theory, is it not?" His hands fell back to his side. "As for proof, our parents can provide that. If you doubt that I was poisoned, ask them. Then you'll know whether or not I'm lying. Or I could fetch the servant that brought me my tea. He can tell you exactly what happened."

Arikizo soaked in everything that Rovan had told them. The theory was unreliable, but possible. Rovan had no reason to lie when he knew it would be easy for him to be found out, so it was likely that he had been poisoned. Could he have poisoned his own tea so he'd have an alibi? 'Now I'm coming up with theories.' He thought chidingly. What if all of this was true, and they dismissed it, and something happened to either of them because the information had come from the crown prince? 'Even if this is all true, no assassin would be foolish enough to attempt a kill during the feast. We are safe for the time being. And we are leaving in the morning for Thiandra; no one except our parents and us know that, unless they've already started spreading that news.' "You act as though I haven't tried." Rovan responded to Evelynne's final comment. "Now that there are so many people around you two, an attempt on your lives is highly unlikely. Too many possible witnesses." "Our parents are probably already looking into the source of the poisoning anyhow." Arikizo added, addressing Eve. "They wouldn't need to hear Rovan's theory to be on high alert. They already know that someone tried to kill me, and perhaps tried the same toward my brother." "That's the thing. They are so worried about all these festivities that they may just let the culprit slip through their hands when the guests leave tonight. Then they will have no leads." "And do you?" "A few, actually. And you can be sure, princess, that I will speak to my parents about that immediately."

Last edited:
It certainly wasn't easy to ignore Rovan and his antics. It took most of her willpower just to keep her features carefully neutral. It also meant she had to think whatever she was going to say to him thoroughly through first before saying it. With all the politics back home, Eve certainly had some practice already with such things, but this was definitely putting her to the test. As Ari responded to her whispered statement. "I may make it look easy, but trust me when I say it's not." She whispered back. She was careful to leave her hand on his chest since it seemed to be helping him keep somewhat calm.

Listening to Rovan further, Eve was careful to keep her features neutral once more. She was letting his comments get to her, which she knew she shouldn't be. As he mentioned them being poisoned the same day and that they could ask the healer, the servant, and their parents if they didn't believe that he was poisoned, she mulled it over. Would he really sink so low as to poison himself with a small dose to convince them enough to believe his theory? In all honesty, from what she knew of him so far, it was certainly possible.

Evelynne knew that she should probably feel bad for not believing him, but up to this point Rovan had given her no reason to trust him what so ever. If anything, he had given her plenty of reasons not to. As Rovan spoke further, she shook her head gently. "I didn't say that in the slightest." She would say neutrally in a calm tone before she looked to Ari with a nod. "I have no doubt that they started looking after they left our room the first time the night you were poisoned ..." She mused. As Rovan spoke about having a few culprits in mind, Evelynne would arch an eyebrow. "Who are your suspects then?" Eve found herself asking, genuinely curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arikizo had been, for the most part, uninvolved in most politics in Draevalia. Especially compared to Rovan, who attended almost every court meeting and accompanied their father on a few occasions when foreign relations were concerned. He knew he would make for a weak king if worst came to worse because their parents didn't expect any harm to come to his older, more experienced sibling, and therefore neglected the political aspect of his role as the spare. With how political Evelynne acted sometimes, he knew she'd dealt with political situations before in her home country. Dealing with the crown prince was likely no new experience for her. However, her response to his comment said otherwise; and he couldn't help but laugh softly. Even Eve was struggling to keep her composure, and that was saying a lot. "Still, it's impressive." He was glad that she kept her hand on his chest, not only to reassure him of her presence at his side, but also in case he happened to snap again. She would be able to quickly react and push him back if need be.

At the mention of suspects, Rovan grinned. "Ah, I knew you would inquire on that." He answered. With her perceptive wit, he would have been shocked if she hadn't asked about his suspects. That would be highly unlike her. "Wiren, Cauli, and Ecremore are the three countries that I suspect most to have a hand in this. Wiren has threatened war on our country many times, and attacks on the western borders weren't rare in the past. During the war with Thiandra, they begrudgingly agreed to postpone their attacks and sign a truce, as they were struggling with droughts for long periods of time. Only two ambassadors from there were allowed to attend the wedding, one of whom has been our personal informer. The other was sent by the monarchs themselves, and father only agreed to promote friendly relations. It's likely that our father has already picked up this lead, because it seems the most suspicious one. Cauli has been more of a neutral ally for Draevalia before the war, but were indispensable during it because of their markets. Their specialty is medicinal herbs, as well as poisons sold to the black market throughout the continent. Personally, unless a larger country was bullying them into a deal, the Caulin guests are the least likely to be the perpetrators. However, they may be able to track who purchased the Belladonna poison if it was indeed bought from their country. As for Ecremore, they have been agreeable until their new king came to power about a decade ago. He has been a bit demanding, especially with the damage that the war has done on the country's economy. No threats have been made against our country, so father had seen no reason to strain relations further by censoring guests."

Arikizo was surprised by how much information Rovan already had on the countries in question; but given his sibling's political experiences, this information seemed the most reliable. "Being the crown prince means you know everything that is going on with neighboring kingdoms regarding relations." Rovan added before Evelynne could question him. "Information beyond what is addressed during court meetings and such can be easily purchased, but that hasn't been necessary so far." Arikizo glanced toward the clock on the wall, seeing that it was nearly time for the feast. "Is that all you wished to discuss with us?" "So eager to get rid of me." Rovan answered, feigning a hurt look. 'Yes, we certainly are.' "But yes, I believe that was all." His attention turned to Evelynne. "Knowing Arikizo, I won't see you two after dinner. So have a nice night, both of you." He smiled, and left soon after. Ari gave an exhausted sigh once his sibling, feeling as if the heaviness in the air had suddenly dissipated. "And the day was going so well." He mumbled, looking to Eve. "What do you think about this? Should we trust him?" He wasn't sure whether or not to do so, and the paranoia from earlier was lingering still. If whoever was after the princes also set their sight on Evelynne, and they just dismissed his brother's warning, who knows what could happen to her.

Last edited:
Evelynne smiled gently at Ari's comment. She prided herself on her self control in such situations. However, Rovan certainly pushes her patience. At Rovan's grin, Eve had to hold back a scowl. He seemed to be enjoying this far to much. It almost made her not want to believe him that much more. If what he is saying is true, it certainly wasn't something to be smiling about. Evelynne still listened careful. If Rovan was telling the truth, then knowing this information would be important.

Evelynne wasn't surprised about the amount of information specifically, but how much he was able to go into detail about already. Before she could say or do anything, Rovan already had an answer. It was certainly fair. And true. Isaiah even knew more about neighboring kingdoms than she did simply because he was the heir to the throne. Is that all you wished to discuss with us? Evelynne looked to her husband, her mind officially reeling from the amount of information. The dilemma was, how much should they believe? "We have had a long day, as you well know. You can imagine why we crave some time to ourselves, even if it is only a few minutes." Evelynne would say in response respectfully. "At this point, it would more likely be me than Arikizo. Today has been quite exhausting ... So you as well." She would say respectfully .

Once the door closed behind Rovan, Evelynne visibly relaxed. She hadn't realized how tense she was until the moment Rovan was finally gone. Looking to Ari, Evelynne would frown gently. "Not completely. All of this could simply be a ploy to get our guard down ..." She began. "But we can't just shrug it off completely either. That would put us both at risk ..." She mused as she slipped an arm around his waist. "Thankfully we leave for Thiandra bright and early tomorrow morning. I know my parents wouldn't spread that news around, especially after what happened right before they arrived. Information like that, they would keep to themselves. The only servant I will tell is Martha, simply because we will need the help." Evelynne would sigh, her eyes closing as she for a moment as she rubbed her temple with her free hand. "What a mess ..." She finished, the frown still tugging at her lips. The day had went from being the best day of her life to being bogged down by poisoning theories that may or may not be all a lie made up by a jealous brother-in-law. Would Rovan truly sink to such a level? She would like to say no, but she honestly wasn't sure. "What do you think about all of this, Ari?"

Rovan nodded at Evelynne's response. "Of course, it is understandable." He replied, bowing his head for a moment. "I would have waited, but it seemed to me that I might miss my chance to warn you at all if I hadn't done so now. And I doubted that I would see either of you before you set off tomorrow morning." He chuckled at her second comment, giving a single nod again. "My best wishes for your travels, if I sleep through your departure tomorrow." He added before heading from the room and shutting the door behind him. Arikizo sighed and gently placed a kiss to Evelynne's forehead, nodding as she first spoke. "I agree. However, I doubt he would even get the chance to try anything tonight, and he already knew that we were leaving early tomorrow. Knowing him, he won't be awake by then. So lowering our guard against him would do nothing. He has no time to play any tricks before we depart to Thiandra. And I agree, we can't just ignore him, because we would not be prepared if another attack was to happen. But then, if he would try to send trouble after us to cover his tracks, we'd have our guard up, and we'd be expecting the attack, so he wouldn't be able to hurt us... see, now I'm coming up with theories." He sighed, shaking his head and laughing a bit at himself.

"I'm glad we're leaving so soon... which reminds me, how did Rovan know we were leaving tomorrow morning?" He murmured. "Probably my parents. He must have asked them where we were, and said there was something he needed to tell us, and they bring up that he wouldn't have much time because we're leaving... see, there I go again! He's such a pain. Even when he's gone, everything he's said just makes me even more paranoid. But that's what he wants." He chuckled. "A mess indeed. This whole situation, and me personally as well." Ari placed his hand over Evelynne's hand that was at his waist, lacing their fingers together and looking down at her with a small smile. "But at least I'm not putting up with this by myself. I'm sorry you have to deal with this crap too, but I'm glad I'm not alone anymore."

"Personally, I honestly don't know what to think." Arikizo answered honestly, his mind a jumbled mess. He wanted to trust his sibling, but after all of the trouble he had caused him, he wasn't too sure. Even from past experience. "What does he have to gain from warning us about a false attack? Diverting the suspicion would only lead back to him when all of his leads turn up clean. None of it makes sense if it is just a cover up. What would be his motive for wanting me dead, anyhow? It would cause him more trouble than anything is worth. Personally, I think he only teases you because he knows it gets on my nerves. His distaste for humans and his pride would never allow him to think of you as anything more than a toy... I mean, I don't mean it like that. I really can't think straight, sorry... I didn't mean to say it like that." He sighed, rolling his eyes at his rambling. For a moment he was quiet, but he continued. "I do have to say though, as cruel as Rovan can be sometimes, he has never tried to hurt me; not too badly, at least. He has actually saved my life on several occasions. He's just a pain in the ass and will never let me live those events down." He shook his head, wondering what his brother would be like if he wasn't so obsessed with bullying him. At this point, that was hard to imagine. "And this isn't the first time something like this has happened. To him, at least."

Evelynne leaned into Ari's kiss as he kissed her forehead. Listening to his ramblings quietly. It was certainly a lot to think about. Everything Rovan said left more possibilities for theories than for answers, which was extremely frustrating. "As he said, to many witnesses for him or anyone else to try anything tonight." Evelynne mused before Arikizo continued. As she listened, Evelynne would frown gently. "It is the most likely scenario. Your parents would have at the very least told him about it, he is your brother after all."

"We can't let any of this get to us. We will be on our guard, keep our eyes and ears open, but that should be the extent of it for the time being." She said gently. Focusing on his warmth as he took her hand, Eve would give his hand a reassuring squeeze. "Don't be sorry. I wouldn't have it any other way. We are stronger together than apart, Ari." She would say gently as she let her head rest against him.

She would listen to the rest of his theory ramblings intently. Some made sense, others she didn't fully agree with. "You being dead would make it much easier to get to me ..." She begin with a gentle frown. "I am not that egotistical, I promise. But if he is catching onto the fact that I am not fully human like I suspect he is and ultimately figures out my full true heritage, we would be in serious danger." She finished as she bit her bottom lip. "Do you remember a fey race called the Hai ... ? Sub-race of elves, very isolated fey, more humanoid in their look? Stuck mostly to the forest mountain regions of this area, never really belonged to one country. The were hunted to, assumed, extinction because of the healing and magical properties their bodies held." Evelynne explained in a hushed tone.

"My mother is the last remaining, pure blooded Hai. She is nearly two hundred years old, yet she doesn't look older than her mid twenties ..." Evelynne continued. "My father, pure human. My brother and I are half Hai, Ari. There have never been half Hai's before, not on record anyway." She finished with a knowing look. "If Rovan is catching onto my true nature ... I am not the only that is at risk here. My brother, who is the heir to the Thiandran throne. And my mother, Thiandra's current queen. Our entire country would be at risk. People would go to war to capture someone like her or my brother and I. Killing wouldn't be that much of a stretch ..."

"Exactly. Which is why I may lean toward believing him a bit more." Arikizo murmured. "If he was scheming something, he wouldn't have warned us. It would be too risky, and he knows that." He nodded at Evelynne's plan of action; to be aware and alert, but not taking the entire warning to heart. A smile grew on his lips as she squeezed his hand, and he returned the gesture. "I couldn't agree more." He whispered as he let his other hand drift up to rest in her hair, gently running his hand over her braid. As the topic turned to his brother's possible scheme, and the reward for getting him out of the way, he couldn't help but reconsider. Hadn't that been his initial fear all along; about Rovan figuring out Evelynne's secret. Now, with another enemy supposedly lurking and waiting for their chance to strike, they weren't just concerned about his brother trying to kidnap or kill Eve. "A hai?" Ari echoed softly, thinking closely. The species sounded vaguely familiar, but he didn't know too much about them. Then again, it seemed like most people did not. Especially if they were thought to be extinct. And if Queen Ana was the last pure-blooded hai, then the species must have been declared extinct a long time ago.

And if Rovan realized this, he really would have a reason to kill the spare prince. And if Ari died, Evelynne would likely be remarried to the crown prince to uphold the treaty. Surely their father wouldn't argue about the heir to the throne being married. This wouldn't be common knowledge, of course, but it would be made known that she was not a mere human; so that the rest of the kingdom would not rebel against Rovan once he came to power. The thought of a future such as that for Evelynne made him shudder just thinking about it. And with a new threat added to the mix, the rest of her family could become targets as well. Then she would be left without half of her family, and forcefully wedded to his scheming sibling. "But Rovan would never dare to reveal your true nature to anyone." Arikizo mused, a frown fading into his expression as well. "He is calculating, and clever; if he knew that, he would become selfish and want to keep that secret for himself. Revealing it would only make him more vulnerable to attacks from other countries vying to capture you." Which was worse? Evelynne becoming Rovan's wife, or spoils of war instead? Even the prince had to admit, a fate with his brother would probably be the best outcome should worst come to worst. Rovan would treat her much better than any slave driver would. After all, he was being cruel to her mainly because it upset the younger prince. "But I won't die easily, Evie. So don't worry yourself over that, alright?" Ari added, wanting to lighten the mood. A smile began to quirk at the corners of his lips. "It's much too soon to think about losing each other. We'll get through this, us as well as your family. If there is anything I can do to protect your secret, I will gladly do so."

Status
Not open for further replies.