For Country and Peace (Watase Yu x Eternalsinger13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evelynne couldn't help but smile as she shook her head lightly. "Well you shouldn't. I appreciate the sentiment, though." She would muse softly against his chest. She could tell that he hadn't expected her to return the embrace, but he didn't seem to mind either. For this, she was grateful. The contact was certainly helping her calm down. Even the silence didn't bother her, the only sound being her occasional shuddering breath as she calmed down.

She was in complete shock with herself that she had even admitted to Arikizo that she loved him. She was waiting for the outburst, the 'thanks, but no thanks' rejection that believed was coming when he shook his head. What he said soon after made her blink softly in surprise. Not only had he genuinely said that he wanted to marry her, but the feelings were mutual. It took a moment for what he said to fully sink in as he brushed her tears away.

As he stepped back and kissed the back of her hand, she would manage a soft nod. "You were not being selfish. It is only natural to not want to get hurt. I was no different." She murmured lightly as she kept her hand in his. "... Eve. Please, call me Eve. I only let those closest to me call me that. No one has every been closer to me than you." She managed with a soft chuckle and smile. "If Rovan finds out about us ... " She whispered, a soft frown tugging at her lips.

Slowly but surely Evelynne began to calm. Arikizo was glad that he was able to comfort her, and remain calm enough himself not to accidentally do something that would upset her further. And when she spoke of love, her shocked response to her own admission confirmed the she was expecting rejection. But he was glad that he wasn't intending to do that. Even if he hadn't felt the same way as her, he wouldn't have been so cruel as to injure her with a blunt response while she was still picking herself back up. That was something Rovan would do, and nothing like the younger male. It didn't sink in right away, but that was expected. She'd thought he was still going to deny her the relationship she was desiring. But when it began to get through to her, the response made a smile begin to grow on Ari's face.

Her dismissal of his self-deprecating comments earned a silent nod in response. They had both been afraid to trust each other, fearing that they would be deceived. Or, more or less, because the dragon prince was too wrapped up in his own past that he refused to see what he had right in front of him. "I'm glad I finally opened my eyes and got over my fear. I would have dearly regretted pushing you away, Evelynne." He took a moment to take in her request, beginning to blush as he realized that the nickname was tied to their relationship; and how close they had really become. He grinned and nodded. "As you wish, Eve." He murmured happily. "And you can call me Ari from now on."

His smile began to fade as well when Evelynne mentioned Rovan, and how he would react if he found out that they were this close. No doubt he would try even harder to get in the middle and mess things up. But he didn't let those thoughts bring him down. "We'll have to be careful how we act." He answered. "But there's only so much that can be done between now and the wedding. He doesn't have much time to plot against us, and no matter what he tries, I will protect you and the love we have begun to share." He blushed a bit more at his complete honesty, but laughed softly. It was the truth, and he would not make it into a joke. "We have my parents on our side anyways. They'll keep him busy. Especially since the queen seems so worried for the wedding. She won't let it be sabotaged by my jealous brother, and neither will I."

Evelynne would blush as Arikizo smiled down at her. He enjoyed her reaction, which she didn't mind at all. It made her smile to see him so happy. Today was ending far differently than she had expected. She had expected it to end like any of the others thus far, but this was completely different. In a very good way. Looking up at Ari, she would listen to him quietly, a soft smile tugging at her lips. "I would have regretted pushing you away as well. I am glad I let myself open up to you ..." She would muse with a soft nod. As he called her Eve, she felt her heart skip a beat, the fluttery feeling returning to her stomach. "Ari it is ..." She murmured softly, holding his gaze for a moment.

She was angry at herself for bringing down the moment, but it was something that needed to be talked about. Particularly with Rovan's actions tonight. As Arikizo spoke, she would nod gently in agreement. As he mentioned their love, she would equally blush, her smile returning to her lips. "I know. I am glad they are on our side, your father in his own way even though he may not realize it. He barely likes the idea of me marrying you, even if Rovan tried to convince him to all an exception to switch with you last minute, your father wouldn't allow it." She would muse thoughtfully.

She was fully calmed back down, her tears gone thanks to Arikizo. "The next two days will hopefully pass quickly with little trouble." She murmured as she took Arikizo's hand. Kissing the back of his fingers, she would gaze back up at him. "Thank you for calming me down. I appreciate it. As much as I dread it, you should probably go so we can get some rest." She would say with a reluctant sigh and frown.

[[ OOC: Didn't want to Time Skip without okaying it with you first. I was thinking either the night before the wedding or the day of. If you're alright with it, please feel free to choos either in your post. ]]

((OOC: It's fine. I actually have a bit of a plan that skips right to that as well, so we are all set ^.^))

Arikizo chuckled at Evelynne's blushing, glad to see a smile return to her lips and happiness back in her eyes again. After what she'd gone through because of Rovan, she deserved that much at least. Her reaction to him calling her Eve made him grin; she seemed to like the sound of the nickname. And he would be lying if he claimed that hearing the princess call him Ari didn't make him blush a bit himself. "You know, no one has ever called me that." He whispered. "My family's nickname for me is Kizo." All of her blushing and smiling was really bringing his spirit back up as well, making him completely forget about Rovan's troublesome presence for the time being. He nodded as she spoke of his father and his subconscious support of the marriage. "I suppose you are right. Even the king has our back in this." He said, chuckling.

Evelynne was back to normal now, perhaps even better than normal even. He nodded in agreement, hoping as well that the following days would pass by without issues, and gave her a curious look as she pulled his hand toward her as he had done to her. He let out a soft sigh of contentment, blushing a bit as she kissed the backs of his fingers. Her affectionate side was one he was looking forward to seeing more often now that they'd admitted to their love for one another. It made his pulse quicken just thinking about it. As she released his hand and reluctantly suggested that they part ways to sleep, he gave a single nod. But before he turned to leave, Arikizo leaned down, placing a gentle kiss to Eve's forehead. "Goodnight, my sweet princess." He murmured with a smile, pulling away and heading out of the room, his heart thudding in his chest. He would definitely sleep well that night, hoping for the next few days to be peaceful and brief.

. . . .

The next day went by without much fuss. The picnic that Rovan had suggested went ignored, much to his annoyance. That bitterness was obvious at dinner, but Arikizo refused to give him any explanation or a second thought. Not after how he'd treated Evelynne Sunday night. Tuesday arrived, the morning passing by without a hitch. The prince and princess had spent the day away in the library, Ari keeping his promise to begin teaching Eve how to read and speak the dragon's native language. As evening began to approach, the lessons had ended, and they were peacefully discussing the plans following the upcoming nuptials that would take place the following morning.

"Perhaps we may be allowed a honeymoon in your kingdom." Arikizo mused. "After all, you're going to live here, so why not take the chance to travel back to your kingdom sooner rather than later? You'll have plenty enough time in this country." He got up from Evelynne's side to put a book away and stumbled slightly, catching onto the back of a chair to steady himself, a bit dizzy all of a sudden. He quickly shook it off. 'I must have stood up to quickly.' He thought. 'I should be more careful, otherwise I'll worry Evelynne.' He chuckled and glanced to the princess before she could worry and ask if he was alright. "I'm alright. Just a bit lightheaded for a minute. That's what happens when you get lost in your own world so long that you forget how long you've been sitting down." He said playfully. He put the book back on the shelf, pushing aside the dizziness as it returned again. He leaned lightly against the bookshelf, wincing for a moment as the lightheadedness began to turn into a dull headache. "I really did stand up too quick." He murmured. "I should be more careful."

Seeing Arikizo grin made Evelynne happy. They both seemed to be in a better mood, which she was grateful for. As he explained what nickname his family had for him, she would chuckle. "I much prefer Ari." She mused softly. Knowing his parents, whether they realized it or not, were on there side seemed to be a comfort for both of them. His sigh of content was music to her ears. And though she didn't want him to leave, she know he needed to. A few more days, then they could be together. "Goodnight, my Ari ..." She whispered, her eyes closing as she leaned into the kiss on her forehead.

. . . .

Evelynne was grateful that the next day went by without much trouble. Rovan had seemed rather angry that they hadn't attended his picnic, but they had actually been kept occupied with wedding details. His irritation went ignored at dinner that not, still upset with how he had acted the night before. Tuesday morning was a bit more relaxing since the prince and princess had decided to hide out in the library. Ari was keeping his promise and was beginning to teach her how to read and speak their native language. Now that evening was nearing, the subject had changed to tomorrow mornings nuptials, which she was looking forward to more than ever.

Listening to Arikizo's suggestion for their honeymoon, Evelynne would beam. "I think that is a great idea. Maybe we could use the idea of you beginning the discussions of opening lines of trade as a way to convince your father to agree. I would love to see home. Show you around." She would say wistfully. Her wistful look would quickly disappear as Ari stumbled. He quickly reassured her that he was fine. "Are you sure?" She would ask, concern still dancing in her voice. She would watch him carefully as he put the book away. Seeing the dizzy spell had returned, Evelynne frowned as she stood. Closing the short distance quickly, Eve would look over him slowly. "I suppose so You sure you are feeling alright?" She would ask as she raised one of her hands to his forehead, a worried expression covering her features.

Arikizo grinned, nodding. "That sounds exactly like what my father would suggest." He replied with a soft laugh. He had been having a headache for the past few hours, but had ignored it, figuring it was just his nerves. "Unless he desired to set up such discussions personally. But it couldn't harm if I mention the topic." He noticed the happiness begin to fade from her eyes, her smile disappearing when he stumbled, and smiled. "I'm sure. It's just a little bout of dizziness is all." He answered, laughing it off. When the lightheadness returned and Evelynne came to his side, he tried to straighten up, wanting to convince her that it was just a temporary issue that would pass soon enough. "I'm fi-" His words of reassurance were cut of by a hiss of pain, his hand going to his chest. A sharp pain struck his lungs, bringing him to his knees struggling for breath. He stubbornly tried to pull himself back up, bracing against the bookshelf, but fell back down again with another cry.

His forehead was burning with a fever, though he looked paler than ever. The headache was turning into a sensation similar to being hit over the head. Ari was in too much pain to even attempt to push this aside, it even if he wanted to. His hand found hers, his body beginning to tremble weakly. The coolness of her touch was comforting, and he held it against his cheek, relishing the small comfort that it brought. But he knew he'd have release her so that she could get help; there was no way even he would be able to get back up. The pain in his chest wasn't fading, his breathing strained, his vision beginning to blur at the edges. His hand lost its grip, falling limply back to his side. "Eve..." He whispered softly, wincing in the pain that speaking brought. The prince felt himself falling unconscious from his inability to breathe properly, his lungs not seeming to hold air well. Or maybe it was his head messing with the rest of his body? He couldn't even think straight. He just wanted to curl up and pass out already so that he wouldn't have to deal with the agony any longer. But he fought it for Evelynne's sake, knowing that staying awake meant he could try to comfort her, even just a little.

Evelynne would nod as Arikizo agreed to mention the trading idea to his father. Concern still covered her elegant features as he tried to laugh it off. Fear began to edge its way into the back corners of her mind. Was it something he ate? Drank? Had Rovan somehow managed to do something after all? All of this was running through her head when he collapsed to his knees. "Ari!?" She cried as she watched him struggle to breathe. As he struggled to get back, she winced as she watched him fall again. As she felt his forehead, she bit the inside of her cheek to try to keep herself calm. "You're burning up, Ari ..." She whispered, mostly steady. She could feel her heart racing as she watched him struggle to breathe. He looked to be in excruciating pain. Tears fill her eyes as he said her name, make her give a small smile. "Ari ... You need to stay awake for me, okay? Stay awake. I am going to get help ..." She whispered to him, her lips kissing the back of his fingers. "I will be right back ..." The tears had escaped, rolling down her cheeks as she hurried from the library.

It didn't take her long to stumble upon four servants in cleaning mode for the wedding tomorrow. "Please, Help. It's Prince Arikizo ... he has collapsed with fever and is struggling to breathe." She panted, bordering on frantic. "One of you go for the king and queen, and the best healer you can find. Bring them to Arikizo's room immediately. Go!" She would cry, watching the servants' eyes widen before the one dashed off as fast as he could. "The rest of you come with me. I can't carry him to his chambers on my own."

Returning to the library, Evelynne would usher them to Arikizo. "Arikizo ... See? I came right back. You still with me? Look at me, Ari ... I won't leave your side. I promise." She whispered, her hand drifting to his cheek for a moment. "Lift him up, be gentle. We need to hurry." She would say as she stood back up, stepping out of the way so the three servants could lift him. Thankfully his quarters were close. Evelynne would hurry ahead, opening each set of doors for them as they carried her fiance. As they entered Arikizo's room, she would keep the doors open as she ushered them in. "Place him on the bed. One of you get me a bowl of cool water and some cloths. Another hurry to my quarters and retrieve my chamber maid, Martha. And the other, see to it the king, queen, and healer are summoned. Go. Please, hurry. And thank you ..."

Last edited:
Arikizo was mentally chastising himself for causing so much distress. Had he run himself to exhaustion? No, that wouldn't have caused this bad of a reaction. Had he been poisoned or drugged? That was a possibility. He had been very careful what he'd eaten and drank since Sunday, knowing Rovan would be trying to get in the way of the wedding. But it wouldn't be difficult for a servant to sneak something into his drink while his back was turned. He was brought back into focus by Evelynne's voice, her gentle, cool touch on his forehead. It didn't surprise him that he had a fever. As tears began to form in her eyes, he weakly raised his arm, his hand shaking, trying to wipe them away. She begged for him to not pass out, and he managed a nod, the corners of his lips quirking into a small smile as she kissed his fingers. And just like that, she was gone.

The servants were shocked by the frantic appearance of the princess, but quickly set aside their current tasks to aid her. One of them broke off from the group, hurrying off to find the monarchs and send for a healer. The rest followed behind Evelynne, murmuring among themselves with obvious concern. "What will happen with the wedding?" One of them whispered. "If the groom dies, there won't be a wedding." The third smacked him on the back of the head. "Mind your tongue. If the princess were to hear you, she would be heartbroken. The poor dear is already worried sick as it is. And for good reason. Do not make matters worse by your thoughtless comments."

When they arrived at the library, the scene was even worse than they'd expected. The prince was still on the floor, his one hand clutching at his chest while the other was at his throat. A weak coughing noise was the only noise that arose from him. His eyes were shut tight, and he was splayed out against the bottom shelves of a bookcase, nearly passed out. When Evelynne spoke, his eyes opened slightly, very slowly, and he forced a small smile onto his face. His head shifted into her touch as her hand raised to his cheek, his eyes falling closed again as he was losing the energy to even keep them open. The servants exchanged highly concerned looks, but worked together to carefully transport him out of the library and into his bedchamber.

Once the prince was safely on his bed, the three servants were quick to obey her orders, each running off in their own directions. The one that remained in the room dashed into the connected bathroom, gathering a bowl and filling it with cool water before getting a facecloth and returning to Evelynne's side. "Here, princess." She said, handing her the bowl and hand towel before hurrying toward the closet to fetch a change of clothes. Arikizo was barely awake, the noises surrounding him making his head pound. Everything seemed to echo, and he could barely find the strength to even open his eyes by that point. "E...Eve..." He mumbled, his voice weak and very quiet.

Even in such a state, Arikizo was still trying to comfort her. As he tried to raise his hand, she would take it into hers, holding it gently. "Save your strength, Ari." She whispered before she had hurried off. Thankfully Evelynne hadn't heard what the servants were saying as they all hurried back to the library. She was panicked enough, she didn't need to hear what they were saying. It would only make her panic worse. The sounds he was making worried her. It was as if he was barely hanging on. As he looked at her, the fresh tears slid down her cheeks. "It's going to be okay ... Help is on the way." She whispered to him as she smoothed his hair from his face. The looks the servants exchanged were enough to make Evelynne understand that it didn't look good for her betrothed.

Fighting to hold back a whimper, Evelynne would look to the servant that had stayed behind. "Thank you ..." She whispered. Shakily taking the facecloth, she would dip it into the cold water. Once she had rung out the excess water, she would dab gently at Arikizo's forehead. She needed to get Ari in something more comfortable, but she didn't want to risk putting him in anymore pain. Not until his parents and the healer arrived. "I'm here, Ari ..." She whispered, using her free hand to hold one of his. "I know you're in pain and it is hard to stay conscious, but you have try for me okay?" She murmured through the tears rolling down her cheeks. Martha quickly hurried into the room, looking to Evelynne with a worried expression. Looking to the chamber maid, she would nod gently towards a seat in the corner. "I just wanted you close, in case ..." She murmured, Martha nodding, knowing what the princess was concerned about. Rovan. Looking back to Arikizo, "Your parents should be here soon with the healer. I need you to hang on for. Please. Ari ..." She cut herself off, finding it difficult to keep her voice level. Hopefully they would indeed be here soon.

All the while, Arikizo had begun to fade in and out of full consciousness. While he was being carried, everything went numb, then the pain gradually returned again. He wished it would just stay constant or fade, and no vacillate between the two. Evelynne's comforting words, her gentle touches, were the only thing really keeping him from falling into unconsciousness. He fought the darkness that was threatening to consume him only to hear her voice, to feel her touch again. When she placed the cold cloth against his forehead, a sigh of contentment slipped past his lips. That definitely felt good against his fever-burnt skin. The servant would glance over every so often, deciding to open the window to allow some fresh air in. Ari listened close to Evelynne's request, forcing a small nod to show that he was still able to move; as slight as that ability was.

The prince's mind was a jumbled mess from the pain, but he tried to focus only on Evelynne to distract himself. He slowed his breathing, trying to take deep breaths to get his lungs to work properly. As long as he didn't try to move too much, it wasn't as agonizingly painful. He couldn't nod the second time to respond to her reassurance that his parents would be there soon with help. 'Focus... I can't give out just... yet...' He thought. The sound of quickly approaching footsteps made him wince and softly groan, turning his head slightly away from the source. The king and queen stood in the doorway . "He seems to be sensitive to sound." The servant girl warned them softly. The monarchs nodded in thanks for the warning, and the king nudged the healer forward. "Well, go on."

The healer was a young man about Evelynne's age, perhaps slightly younger, and bright yellow eyes. He quietly approached the bed, being careful not to if his hearing was heightened due to his condition. From what he had been told by the servants that were sent by the princess to fetch him, this had all happened very quickly. The prince's condition had fallen fast, which was very concerning. "The cause of is not a natural illness." He said softly. "There was too many symptoms all at once, and the onset would have been more gradual if it had been a flu." He directly addressed Arikizo, hoping he was able to respond. "Prince Arikizo," He murmured softly, concerned when the prince was only able to turn his head slightly toward the sound of his voice. He glanced back toward the king and queen. "He is nearly unconscious from the lack of air. That is the main issue." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small vial. "Princess, if you could help me prop him up. I need him sitting to be able to drink this. It should help him breathe better and counteract the respiratory effects of whatever had put him in this condition." He explained as he carefully tried to get Ari into a sitting position.

As Evelynne heard the hurried footsteps, Evelynne winced gently. With how he had reacted to the small noises of moving about the room when the servant girl was getting water, she could only imagine what pain the footsteps were causing. Her worry was soon confirmed as he winced and groaned, turning away from the sound. Thankfully, the servant girl warned them of the sensitivity when they entered. A few stray tears would escape her eyes, rolling down her cheeks as she looked to the healer.

He looked rather young, but unless one was human around here, looks could be deceiving. Her eyes would dart to the king and queen, her concern and worry obvious on her features. It was the first time that had seen something that wasn't masked. She then looked to the healer as he moved in, looking over Arikizo. As he said it wasn't some illness, she had already figured as much. The question was, how had Rovan gotten to him? It had to have been Rovan. Nothing else made sense. "Yes, of course ..." She whispered in response as to not cause Arikizo any unnecessary pain. Slipping her hand free of his, she would adjust on the bed so that she could gently prop Ari up, she would slip her arm around his shoulders to keep him propped up enough to drink the elixir. "Ari, I need you to drink this for me, okay? It will help you breath. Work with us, please ..." She whispered faintly to him. Her hand with the facecloth would dip it back into the bowl of cold water, ringing it out as she dabbed at his forehead again.

The king and queen were a bit surprised at how honestly concerned Evelynne was for their son. Surely the two had acted attached, but they'd thought it might be a cover up. In the king's case, he hadn't expected Arikizo to become so close after what had happened when he was younger. He was glad it hadn't backfired on him. Back then he hadn't foreseen that same son that had been punished for being too attached to a mortal being married to one decades later. It would have spelled disaster for any hope of peaceful relations with Thiandra after so many years of war. To be honest, his primary concern at that moment was the effect of his son's death on the treaty conditions. His mind thought back to what Rovan had spoken to him about regarding the marriage; it was always good to have a backup plan. He would never dare to voice that thought, because he knew how it would be perceived.

"If it isn't an illness, then what happened?" The king responded quietly, wondering what could have occurred that led to this attach. Was one of the servants trying to sabotage the wedding, working in secret against the kingdom? Was there some kind of plot against the crown that was taking place, that had gone unnoticed because the family had been so focused on the wedding? Was a revenge scheme from the mortal kingdom? After all, the guests from Thiandra had arrived that morning for the wedding that would take place the following day. What if one of them had been against the treating, and sought to continue the war? "I cannot say, your highness." The healer responded. "I cannot determine what has been used on Prince Arikizo right away, but I will try my best to find a cure." With Evelynne's aid, he managed to get Arikizo propped up carefully in a sitting position against the headboard of the bed.

Ari was still hanging on to consciousness, fading and in out despite his efforts to focus. He didn't , but it was enough for him to understand what was going on. "I'm going to tilt your head back to help you swallow." The young healer murmured so that he wouldn't startle the prince with any sudden actions. Arikizo managed to open his mouth a little, concentrating on the comfort of the wet cloth on his forehead. The healer carefully poured the contents of the vial into the prince's mouth, and with a moment of difficulty, the liquid went down. "The result won't be immediate, but it will prevent him from suffocating." "T-Tha...nk... you..." Ari managed to murmur, his lips barely moving. For a little while, the healer busied himself with tests and such, attempts to aid the ailed young man. After about ten minutes or so, Ari's breathing was beginning to even out again. But he'd already passed out completely. "Don't worry, princess. He'll be alright now that he can breathe."

It was dark outside when Arikizo finally came to. He shivered slightly at the breeze from the window, which had been left open. He had been changed into more comfortable clothing, which he appreciated. His headache was still there, though slightly dulled, and a light twinge of pain accompanied his breathing. But that was much better than earlier. He glanced around, his eyes trying to adjust to the lighting. "Eve?" He murmured, wondering if she had been allowed to stay close by. Someone had to, surely. If not, perhaps the servant left to keep an eye on him could go and get her.

Evelynne was praying silently that Arikizo was going to be okay. She loved him, far more deeply than anyone else. If anything happened to him, it would be as if a piece of her went with him. She couldn't think such thoughts. Evelynne noticed the surprise on the king's and queen's faces when she looked at them. Under normal circumstances, she would be horrified that she even let it show in front of them, but right now she didn't even care. Her only focus was on making sure Ari was going to be okay.

Evelynne would look to the king as he asked what everyone wanted to know. However, Evelynne already had her own theory. People were arriving from her home country, sure, but none of them were stupid enough to try something here even if they were against this marriage. At that was a big if. Evelynne would look to the healer as he spoke. She was hoping he would find out soon so that Ari would feel better.

Evelynne would watch closely as the healer did his work. Evelynne would rub Arikizo's arm reassuringly as she kept the cool, wet rag on his forehead. As she listened to the healer, she would nod her head gently as he spoke of the results taking a bit of time. As she looked to Ari after he managed a weak thank you, she saw that he was out cold. Her lip trembled slightly, her eyes watering as she saw him like that. It took her a moment to realize the healer was speaking to her again. Looking to him, she smiled softly, giving him a light bow of her head. "Thank you for coming to his aid, sir ..." She would say softly. Looking to the King and Queen. "I will stay with the servant girl to watch over him. I want to be here when he wakes." She would say respectfully, realizing she didn't know the servant girl's name.

Once the healer, king, and queen left, Evelynne made sure he was changed into something more comfortable before tucking Ari back into bed. Martha had slid over the chair she was sitting it, insisting that she sit down and rest. "Thank you, both of you." She would say as Martha left to retrieve a couple of stools for herself and the other servant girl in case she decided to stay. Evelynne would wet the rag regularly, letting it rest on Arikizo's forehead to help bring his fever down.

Evelynne had eventually dozed off, her head resting on Ari's bed, using one of her arms as a pillow. Her free hand was holding his hand, waiting for any sort of moment to signify he was awake. Martha sat it in the corner, watching over them silently as she worked on a sewing project. It was his shiver that made her stir. Opening her eyes, Evelynne would lift her head. Finding his gaze, she would smile affectionately as he said her name. "I'm here ... I'm here, Ari ..." She murmured, her free hand brushing his hair from his face before she removed the rag from his forehead. "How are you feeling? If you're cold, I'll have Martha close the window ..." She mused softly, her hand resting on his cheek. "You gave me a fright, you know ..." She teased gently.

The healer bowed his head and returned Evelynne's smile. "No need to thank me." He replied softly. "But I appreciate it anyways." After taking a few small blood samples to test on, he moved away from the bed and back toward the king and queen. Both of the monarchs nodded at Evelynne's comment, having no complaints about her request; she was obviously worried sick over Arikizo, and forcing her to distance herself would be cruel. The three left soon after, discussing what was going to be done about the wedding. The queen was quick to quiet the subject until the door was shut and they were away from the room. Right now, the focus should be on making sure Arikizo would be well enough to take part in the wedding before the occasion could occur. The servant girl stuck around for a little while longer, but left soon enough to do other work. She would have preferred to stay, but since she was not doing anything to aid the prince, she feared retribution from higher servants. After all, he had others looking out for him. She had no excuse to remain.

Arikizo quickly realized that Evelynne was still at his side when he shifted slightly and noticed her hand holding gently onto one of his own. He returned her smile, shifting his head toward her hand as she brushed his hair away from his face. He craved her comforting touch more than anything else. "I'm feeling better." He murmured softly. "I still have a terrible headache, but I can breathe easier and it doesn't hurt as much. And yes, could someone please close the window." He sighed softly, looking up at the princess and glad he had regained his strength. As she placed her hand on his cheek, he closed his eyes for a moment, shifting into her touch before meeting her gaze again. He dared to chuckle at her comment. "I promise I didn't do it on purpose." He replied playfully. "Did they figure out what happened to me?" His thoughts quickly turned to his troublesome brother. No doubt he had a hand in this. "Rovan didn't come in here, did he?" If his brother had done anything, he swore that he make the heir seriously regret ever laying his sights on Evelynne.

As he shifted into her touch, Evelynne would smile gently. He was becoming himself again, which was certainly a good sign. As she listened to him, she would nod her head gently. She was glad to hear that he was feeling much better. Glancing to Martha, Evelynne was about to call to her, but the chamber maid was already up and closing the window. "Thank you, Martha. I appreciate all your help today ..." She would say gently, receiving a smile and a curtsy before she returned to her sewing.

Looking back to Arikizo, she would caress his cheek gently as he leaned into her touch once more. "Your fever finally began to break a couple hours ago. I was hoping that was a good sign ..." She mused gently before she smiled as he chuckled. "I know you didn't, Ari. And as of now, I still haven't heard. They should easily know by now." She would begin, glancing back to Martha. "Martha? Flag a servant, have them retrieve the king, queen, and healer. I am sure they will want to see that he is awake and feeling better. That way we can hopefully find out what happened." With a quick nod, Martha would slip from the room.

It wouldn't take long for Martha to return. "Done, your majesties." The chamber maid would say with a curtsy before returning to her sewing. "Thank you, Martha." Evelynne would say before returning her full focus on her betrothed. "Calm yourself, Ari. You need not worry. I haven't seen Rovan whatsoever ..." Giving him a reassuring kiss upon his forehead. "I promise. Martha has been with me the entire time, watching over me." She mused softly, giving him a calming smile. "Your parents and the healer should be here momentarily. Hopefully they will have some news." She would say, her thoughts coming to the wedding for the first time since the emergency. They were to marry in a matter of hours, was it going to happen with his health as it was? What had his parents decided do about it? New worries were coming to mind. She hadn't thought about the politics of it all.

As Martha went to close the window, Arikizo turned his gaze toward her. "Thank you." His focus returned back to Evelynne as she spoke of his fever and how it had started to fade. He smiled, glad to know that his health was beginning to improve more than he could tell. As she sent her chamber maid out of the room to fetch his parents and the healer, Ari raised one of her hands to his lips, gently kissing the back of her fingers like she had often done to him. "I am sorry though, that you had to go through that." He whispered. "I should have been more careful. I knew Rovan would try something, but I let my guard down." He said a soft thank you as well to Martha when she returned, and let out a soft sigh of relief when Evelynne told him that his sibling hadn't made an appearance. Not even to check on him, which would seem odd if he wasn't the likeliest suspect.

It was only a short time before the monarchs and the healer arrived. "You're looking much better." The king said, beaming. "For a while there we weren't sure if you were going to make it." "You had us worried sick." The queen murmured, walking over to the bed and placing her hand on his forehead. "You said he had a fever earlier?" She asked the healer, who nodded. "Well, it seems to have gone down." "Well, that is a very good sign." The healer responded, taking the queen's spot as she returned to her husband's side. "I managed to find out what had cause the ailment as well." He added as he sat on the edge of the bed. "Traces of the poison found in your blood indicated that berry juice from a Belladonna plant must of ended up in your food or drink at some point today. The berries of the Belladonna plant, which is also called the Deathly Nightshade, is highly poisonous. You're lucky you weren't stuck in a coma. If you had ingested any more of the poison, you would have died." Ari was shocked at this revelation. 'Would Rovan stoop that low?' He thought spitefully. His brother was cruel and calculating when he had something he wanted, but would he go so far as to kill his own brother? And over what? Evelynn? What good was that for him if she hated him more than she already did?

The healer pulled out a vial of purplish liquid. "This should help counteract the effects of the poison, but it may take you a day or two before you will be able to leave your room. There is a possibility that the poison has damaged your nervous system, and that could prove to be dangerous if you stray too far unattended. Though I doubt that will be an issue." Arikizo smiled, glancing toward Evelynne. He knew she would be a constant companion, especially after this incident. "Thank you for your help." He said as he turned his gaze back to the younger male, who smiled and bowed his head. "I am just glad to see that you've started to recover."

Martha would smile gently to the prince, nodding her head gently. He seemed to be as nice to her as Evelynne was, which the chamber maid certainly appreciated. Evelynne would smile softly as he kissed the back of her fingers. She would soon shake her head gently. "It is not like you asked for this. You shouldn't apologize for something that was out of your control." She whispered back, frowning gently as Rovan was mentioned. "We both let our guard down. No point in fretting over what we could have done differently. I am just glad you are alright." She murmured as she caressed his cheek. "I just got you. I am not ready to lose you yet. I love you ..." She would whisper genuinely as she heard familiar footsteps in the hall.

Keeping her hand in his, Evelynne would sit back in her chair. Careful to keep her posture proper, Evelynne would bow her head gently to the king and queen, the nodded to the healer. As the king spoke of her fear, Evelynne would nod her head. She couldn't verbalize it, but she had feared the same. "Yes, it began to break an hour or two ago.It only recently fully went down ..." Evelynne would say as she looked to Arikizo.

As the healer explained that it was indeed poison, Evelynne's eyes widened, genuinely shocked. It had been as she feared, someone had tried to kill him merely a night away from the wedding. Would Rovan truly sink so low to try such a horrid thing to his own brother? As the healer retrieved the vial, Evelynne would smile gently, relaxing. He was going to recover. Meeting Arikizo's gaze, she would smile back. "Not to worry. I won't stray far, Arikizo. I'm not letting you out of my sight after this." She murmured before looking between the small group. "Under the circumstances, I am sure everyone would understand the wedding being postponed a day or two so you can fully recover." She mused, looking to the king and queen before glancing to Arikizo. "Your recovery is most important."

At Evelynne's response, with her smile fading from her lips, Arikizo nodded. "You're right, of course." He murmured. "I'm sorry for bringing it up. I ruined a perfectly good moment of rejoicing my recovery with such a silly apology." Her hand raised to his cheek, a smile forming back on his lips. His cheeks flushed a bit at her whispered words, but he nodded. "And I didn't want to lose you either. I love you too." He murmured in response before he picked up on the sound of footsteps, announcing his parent's arrival along with the healer. The prince noticed that, while Eve was still acting as she usually did, she was a bit more open in the presence of the king and queen now. Her expression was less cloaked than before. She was still very polite and formal, but not as uncomfortable.

Ari's focus jumped from one person to another, though mainly on the healer and Evelynne. He was still holding onto her hand, refusing to let go of it even when the monarchs had entered the room, and gently squeezed it to comfort her. Her reaction to hearing of the poison was what he expected, and didn't differ much from his own; but he still desired to reassure her that he was alright now. And with the presentation of the medicine that would help him fight off the rest of the ills from the Belladonna poisoning, he smiled even brighter, meeting the princess's gaze. He chuckled at her promise to stay close to him, and the comment about not letting him out of her sight from then on. "As I expected." He answered with a grin. At her comment about the wedding, his gaze focused on his parents, who nodded. "We have pushed back the wedding to Friday." The queen responded. "The sudden change of plans has already caused a bit of trouble, but we'll get things sorted out. You two just relax."

Leaving the vial with them, the three headed out again not long after that. Arikizo sighed, laying on his back and looking up at the ceiling for a moment while everything processed through his mind. "Well, I guess all of that is out of the way." He murmured. "Seems everything back on track again." He glanced toward Evelynne, smiling. "Are you willing to stay here with me tonight?" He asked softly. Still in a weak state, there was no implications meant by the suggestion. He just craved her company. Still, it made him blush a bit. He attempted to sit up, but barely got his back more than a few inches off the mattress before he fell back again. "Still too weak to sit up by myself." He mumbled, glancing to the vial that sat on the table next to his bed. "I really hope that doesn't taste nasty. I would drink it anyways, even if it did, but still..." The prince chuckled at his own musing. "Could you help me sit up so I can get that medicine over with?"

Evelynne would chuckle softly, her head shaking gently. He was definitely on the rebound, which she was grateful for. As he said that he loved her too, her heart would skip a beat as she beamed. She was careful to tone it down a bit as his parents and the healer arrived. Under the circumstances, particularly with how they saw her earlier, she didn't feel why it was necessary to keep up the mask at the moment. Arikizo and his health was the bigger concern here. As the queen explained how the wedding was pushed back to Friday, Evelynne would look to the queen. "Thank you, your majesty ..." She would say, completely genuinely as she gave her soon to be mother-in-law a soft nod.

They were soon gone and were going to handle the minor timing changes for the wedding. Leaving Evelynne grateful that she could focus on Arikizo and Arikizo alone. Her full attention turned to him as he began to speak. "That doesn't bother you, does it?" She would ask curiously, her gaze watching him as she leaned forward in her chair. As he asked if she was willing to stay, she smile, chuckling as he saw him blush. "I am not letting you out of my sight, remember? So, yes. I am staying every day and night from here on out. With Martha within sight and earshot until our wedding day. Not taking any chances." She murmured thoughtfully "You'll just have to get use to me being at your side 24/7. I'll try not to get on your nerves to much." She teased gently before getting serious. "I'll have our food prepared and sent up by only trusted servants. Martha can bring me what we need from our rooms. Changes of clothes, each of us a pillow, and blanket. I'm not going anywhere. I won't let whoever did this to you get to you again. That I promise." She would say gently as she squeezed his hand gently. Martha was already up, slipping from the room to retrieve their night clothes, robes, blankets, pillows, a change of clothes for in the morning, and a more comfortable chair. Otherwise, it was going to be a long two days. It would take a couple trips, but she would retrieve what they needed, finding room in the Arikizo's large closet to store the items. "Thank you, Martha. You're incredible ..." Evelynne would say, earning a smile and curtsy. "You are to kind, your grace." The chamber maid would say.

As she watched him struggle to try and sit up, a gentle frown tugged at her lips. "Don't over strain yourself. That isn't going to help you get better any quicker, Ari ..." She would say gently as she stood from her chair. Sinking onto the edge of the bed beside him, she would grabbed the medicine vial as she listened to him speak. "Being that it is medicine, I can guarantee that it is nasty. Plug your nose, it should help some ..." She mused with a chuckle. "And that is a silly question, Ari. Of course I will help. You think I'm here to sit here and look pretty? I think not ..." She would say playfully as she opened the vial. Careful not to spill, she helped Ari sit up before moving the vial to his lips. "Ready?" She would ask before giving him a dose. Once she was done, she would lay him back down gently before corking the vial.

"Bother me?" Arikizo echoed, then shook his head. Evelynne's soft laughter made him blush even more, but her words made his smile grow even more. To have her always at his side for the rest of the week would be a comfort beyond words. Her presence made him feel safe, and the caution that she was taking after his near death poisoning was exactly what they needed to get through this. If anything else slipped through, no doubt the assassin would learn from their first mistake an ensure that there was a lethal dose the second time around. He chuckled at her light teasing, grinning. "You couldn't get on my nerves if you tried." He responded thoughtfully. The prince nodded as she described her precautions that she intended to put in place to keep him out of harms way until the wedding. She squeezed his hand, and he squeezed back, pulling it to his lips to kiss the back of it. "I'm glad I have such a devoted nurse."

Martha was hurrying back and forth between the two bedchambers, gathering things for Evelynne so that she could stay by his side. When she finished, he voiced his thanks as well. If it wasn't for the chamber maid, he would be worried sick over Evelynne's safety when she was so concerned for him. Having an extra eye on the situation was comforting, and would enable the princess to relax as well. He would hate to put any more stress upon his fiance. When she scolded him for his attempt to sit up, he sighed, knowing this was going to be a long two days if he was unable to do anything by himself. Hopefully his strength would begin to return sooner rather than later. Ari gave her a playful scowl for a moment when she mentioned the medicine. "You didn't have to tell me that." He whined playfully, but couldn't help laughing a little, the smile reappearing. 'At least I have enough energy to joke around.'

With Evelynne's help, he managed to sit up. Taking her suggestion to heart, he plugged his nose as she lifted the vial to his lips. The liquid tasted as bad as he'd expected, but he forced himself to swallow it anyways. The aftertaste was even worse. "I would say that was the grossest thing that I've ever tasted, but that would be a lie." He murmured as he was helped back into a laying position. "That was pretty dang close though." He managed a smile, looking up at Evelynne. "You don't need to sit in that chair all night. There is plenty enough room here." He added after a moment. "I'm sure no one would complain if you shared my bed. And if they do, they can deal with me because I'm the one who suggested it." On second thought, it might appear improper. But in his condition, how could anyone think that something would happen between the two? He could barely move on his own. He tapped at a spot on the bed next to him. "After how distraught you were over my condition, I highly doubt anyone would have the gall to claim that you are taking advantage of this situation."

Status
Not open for further replies.