Final Five

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... honestly all I can say is that her personality seems like an absolute mess. I have a hard time even understanding what she is in terms of personality. Is she emotional or robotic? Does she care about people or not? In any case, I advise you refrain from giving her as absolute descriptions as being extremely intelligent and the like; your character can only ever be as intelligent as the player.

Her biography too is a wanting. For a pair of parents that seemed to mull carefully over what was best for their daughter, saying that they treated her as a tool seems very contradictory.

Manipulating matter entirely is far too broad an ability.
Haha, the inconsistencies are what I get for typing it all up at once and making edits without proofreading.

But regarding intelligence, since I can read over what has happened I believe the character can be a fair amount more intelligent than the player, though an absolute intelligence like the one I gave her may be overwhelming. I've changed it to more of a souped-up eidetic memory. I hope that's alright. I'll probably just switch it to another mind-based power if not and make a few history edits.

I mostly just wanted to avoid the word telekinesis, but since it's hard to describe that ability without just saying it...I'm just changing it to telekinesis. Unless telekinesis isn't allowed.

Gerald is Zomb's character in another RP of Asuras's. He also has telekinesis, which scales off Perception and makes it so that everyone needs to pass a Perception check on his telekinetic attack before being able to dodge it. Oh, and did I mention that it's damage also scales off Perception, and it doesn't require a Finesse check to hit? Hm…I wonder what stat Zombs stacked there…

Come on, the salt is supposed to be Sky's job.

Gerald is Zomb's character in another RP of Asuras's. He also has telekinesis, which scales off Perception and makes it so that everyone needs to pass a Perception check on his telekinetic attack before being able to dodge it. Oh, and did I mention that it's damage also scales off Perception, and it doesn't require a Finesse check to hit? Hm…I wonder what stat Zombs stacked there…
Unless that game uses the stats differently, I don't see how that makes any sense. Perception is just perceiving. It makes sense using that to sense and dodge it, but how does that increase damage? There's the Arcane stat for that, in this game at least.

Yeah, that's the thing. Asuras's previous RP didn't have Spirit, Heroism, or Arcane. We only had 20 points to play with as well. So what happened was that physical 'spells' were Finesse based, while magic was Perception based. And Zombs went full mage. XD

Unless that game uses the stats differently, I don't see how that makes any sense. Perception is just perceiving. It makes sense using that to sense and dodge it, but how does that increase damage? There's the Arcane stat for that, in this game at least.
Yeah, Arcane, Spirit, and Heroism were added into this version.

I get the feeling that this is why Asuras didn't like my description of it as "Perception Reality." -_- It's nothing overpowered like that though... T.T

Naw, there are three main issues that I see with your abilities. First, Perception Reality sounds rather close to reality warping, which is always super iffy. Second is that the cooldown limits you put on them (20 minute cooldowns for some of them) are really, really terrible. Like, most fights will probably be over in maybe, what, three-five minutes? Third is that, like Samster's character, Asuras is going to have a hell of a time figuring out how to turn them into mechanics. It'd probably be easier if you specifically stated how said abilities will be applied to combat, and then left the rest out as fluff. Does it give him supa reaction speeds for an instance? That kind of stuff.

You need to consider that the Final Five is not an organization that gathers people with powers. They seek exceptional vigilante crime fighters to be the face of the organization, who can beat down the type of stuff that the police (this is a world where even ordinary citizens can get anti-tank laser cannons, so their police probably has really crazy shit) can't deal with. If yours is a power that only effects your perception of the world, and can only be used during long gaps of time…eh………….

The edginess of his background is in relation to the fact that he meets a cynical old man that beats him up, before going on to save a girl who was getting raped, and then getting his powers. I mean, if you changed it to something like him going into a burning building in order to save a girl trapped in there, before unlocking his superpowers, that would probably be totally fine with Asuras. Hell, you can even still have the old man berate him for his stupidity in that situation.

A wooden staff is going to break. I would recommend getting a staff that was scientifically enhanced or something. Like, expandable metal alloy staff with ends that can electrocute people or something.

And Asuras probably dislikes the whole 'distancing self from team' thing because loner-esque characters are a pain in the ass to GM for.

• Thank You
Reactions: firejay1
I'm worried that if i get picked i'll die on the first freaking mission XD That is IF I get picked. The competition is making it hard for me to see myself getting into this RP, but it's cool nonetheless.

I'm worried that if i get picked i'll die on the first freaking mission XD That is IF I get picked. The competition is making it hard for me to see myself getting into this RP, but it's cool nonetheless.
My character in Asuras' other RP is literally the flimsiest one there, more physically vulnerable than most humans, but she's still alive.

Why wood? Your character is strong enough to use a heavier, more advanced alternative. Something like this.
I remember those fuckers from one Star Wars game, boss fight with two of them! I HATED IT.

Naw, there are three main issues that I see with your abilities. First, Perception Reality sounds rather close to reality warping, which is always super iffy. Second is that the cooldown limits you put on them (20 minute cooldowns for some of them) are really, really terrible. Like, most fights will probably be over in maybe, what, three-five minutes? Third is that, like Samster's character, Asuras is going to have a hell of a time figuring out how to turn them into mechanics. It'd probably be easier if you specifically stated how said abilities will be applied to combat, and then left the rest out as fluff. Does it give him supa reaction speeds for an instance? That kind of stuff.

You need to consider that the Final Five is not an organization that gathers people with powers. They seek exceptional vigilante crime fighters to be the face of the organization, who can beat down the type of stuff that the police (this is a world where even ordinary citizens can get anti-tank laser cannons, so their police probably has really crazy shit) can't deal with. If yours is a power that only effects your perception of the world, and can only be used during long gaps of time…eh………….

The edginess of his background is in relation to the fact that he meets a cynical old man that beats him up, before going on to save a girl who was getting raped, and then getting his powers. I mean, if you changed it to something like him going into a burning building in order to save a girl trapped in there, before unlocking his superpowers, that would probably be totally fine with Asuras. Hell, you can even still have the old man berate him for his stupidity in that situation.

A wooden staff is going to break. I would recommend getting a staff that was scientifically enhanced or something. Like, expandable metal alloy staff with ends that can electrocute people or something.

And Asuras probably dislikes the whole 'distancing self from team' thing because loner-esque characters are a pain in the ass to GM for.
Thanks for clearing that up! Perception Reality... has absolutely nothing to do with Reality Warping... whatsoever... and I didn't think that was really what it looked like considering the powers in his arsenal. The limits I put on them were because I really hate making my characters OP, as I've seen that make RP's really frustrating, but it's probably a good idea to improve them a little, yeh. Thanks for the advice! I did want his powers to really be something of a supplement rather than all he has available to him, but it makes sense that they're a bit too weak. As for the mechanics... I haven't joined a lot of dice system RP's, so this is a little new to me. I had his "perception" rating be so high b/c that seemed to be the main advantage of his abilities, IMO, and I did think I made it fairly clear how his abilities could be used in combat, but I suppose it could be elaborated on.

I see what you mean about the background. This CS was written kind of hastily, cause the deadline is, well, today, so there are flaws. Thank you for the suggestion about the background! Though I may end up using a different idea, because it's not very likely he'd rush to help someone in a burning building, cause burning buildings bring police and firefighters and wouldn't really trigger his abilities.

I haven't GM'ed much, so I wasn't aware that loner characters are difficult to deal with, and I'm not quite sure why, but I did try to change that a little in my edit, as I think it could provide a potential flaw in their teamwork.

Finally, the issue of the wooden staff. The reason WHY I had him use a wooden staff is because it's something that some martial arts use. It's one of the weapons practiced with, and a pretty scary one at that. If you've ever used one before, it adds momentum, power, and reach, and as I've touched one before in a martial arts capacity, I both admire it and know how to describe it a little. And since it's a practice weapon... I didn't think it very likely he would have often handled a giant metal pole that can electrocute people, though I'm sure he could still use it alright. I'm not sure where or how he'd obtain such a thing, unless he got it upgraded after joining the FInal Five. Do you think that's plausible?

In any case, I don't think he's going to be part of the final five! I can feel it in my bones. It's gonna bee (*uses special magical powers) tian-gui, ling zhu, tomoki, runa, and marlin! Nah, I'm just fooling around. I'm really grateful for all of your feedback and will be sure to implement it as quickly as possible so as to make it before the deadline. Then it's just hoping and waiting. :D

A wooden staff, unless it's magically enhanced or something, isn't going to do anything to a giant hulking mass of armor, realistically. At least with metal, you have a lower chance of breaking your staff while smacking it about. Though I guess in this case, it's more about how mechanics simply work. Fluff-wise, it makes no sense, but stats-wise, him using a wooden staff probably won't matter in the grand scheme of things. He could totally get an upgrade though, even without joining the Final Five. Remember? Ordinary citizens getting anti-tank laser cannons?

Loner characters are generally difficult to deal with because RPing is all about character interaction. Skys especially hates making posts where the only thing he does is talk to NPCs (e.g he lacks actual writing skillz). A loner character who mainly keeps to himself will probably end up being a bored RPer who doesn't actually have anything to do, because, lo behold, he's only playing with himself. Not saying that your character would become that, but it's generally a concern.

Also, it's hard to get a loner involved in the plot if they're all 'herp derp I do what I want'.

In a stats-based RP, you can generally get away with giving your character lots of OP fluff, because their true OPness is still gated by their limited amount of stats. So even if your character is, say, someone with the power to create nuclear black hole laser beams, if their Arcane stat is lower than the enemy's Fort stat, those nuclear black hole laser beams won't do anything. Essentially, it's probably better if you go wild and let Asuras do the nerfing.

Okay, thank you. I'm in the process of getting rid of his power limitations, and I think I can do an upgrade with his staff (srsly, why can normal people get anti-tank lasers? that's insane). Instead of making him a loner, I just had him be paranoid as hell about everyone, which I hope will work a bit better in terms of character interaction, and honestly I find it frustrating to try RPing with no direction anyways, so if there was a plot I'd be like, "YASSS, LEMME IN."

Well, with the deadline only an hour away (I think) the only thing missing from my sheet is the personality and the biography... so the most important aspects of the character. Unfortunately I've written myself into a corner; I don't know how to justify my character's abilities in his bio in just one hour (given I've spent two hours floundering over it), so I'll shelf him forever and let you guys go on with this. He probably wouldn't have made the cut anyhow.

^^ How I'm feeling right now about finishing editing Hyun-seok's biography. Half an hour lefttt EEP!!

Waow... I actually managed to finish it in time. Yay! I actually need @Asuras to reread it thoroughly though. Time to wait now.

Status
Not open for further replies.