Fight School [OOC/Signup]

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. I'mma see if I can get a char up asap. :)

-First Rule of Fight School, don't fail Fight School-

flIVWrU.jpg

Name: Mei Guan-yin

I.D. Number: 07861337

Year: 1st

Nationality: Chinese

Sex/Gender: Female

Fighting Style(s):
Shuai Jiao & Heihuquan
1st​ Kyu | 1st​ Kyu

Powers:
Lǎohǔ zhǎo (Tiger Claws) - She is able to manipulate her own Ki in order for it to surround her fingertips. Making them sharp like claws in general. This is a technique she is still developing, learning how to perfect it. Mei can at least use it twice during a battle or a fight. She can only extend it as far as close-range. It can cut her opponent mildly at best and knock them back.​

Personality:
She is quite straightforward and blunt. Not afraid to speak her mind. She is also quite intelligent and sophisticated. She finds the thrill in fighting stronger opponents and always strives to overcome the challenges presented before her. She is not a boaster, and mostly stays quiet during a battle unless she's really provoked. Being quite cunning and even mischievious, one can even say that she resembles a cat, being perhaps sneaky and quite sharp, both in tongue and mind. Mei also enjoys the fragrance of flowers such as Hydrangea and, or Roses.

She is also kind but dislikes people who believe they are the best, and condescending. If anything, those are the people she would like to fight.

Background:
Mei was born itno a family that practiced in Chinese Martial Arts and the many styles it had. Wushu was another name for the Martial Arts coming from their respective country; China. She was born into a family that held some great reputation, and in order to preserve that, she had to follow in the footsteps of both her parents, but that was for later in the years, when she would become old enough. For Mei, there were other things that interested her, and one of that was her school life and studying in general. Sh was quite intelligent and smart, and had exceptional grades throughout her years in school. She also wanted to make her parents proud, but for her to be able to do something like that, she had to accept her heritage. Mei wanted to carve her own path and set out on a journey she would create herself. She did not want to be the next successor of her family after her father.​

Her father had nothing against it, but her mother did. It was quite odd in her eyes, because she always believed them both to be against it. Mei wanted to choose her own path already at the age of eight. She became fond of history, wanted more knowledge, play and spend time with her friends. She also read plenty of books because of her parents and the family she was a part of. She even had a hobby and that was to paint. Unfortunately for her, her own path was something she ended up not taking. A tragedy fell upon her family. Her father died in a car accident, and her mother became the next head, but that was only temporarily. Everyone around her family looked at Mei, and wanted her to succeed, wanted her to follow in the footsteps of her parents, or more specifically, her father.

After her father passed away, her family's reputation decreased. The power and the respect they held started to wane. People around the family showed their true face. Some still held the same respect towards her family, while other disappeared. Many of the people tried to exploit her family, and her mother in order to get what they wanted. Despite Mei being reluctant to take up the reigns after her father, she was present during all the meetings her mother went through. That's also when she picked up on reading people, seeing them for what they truly are. As she grew up, she made up her mind to uphold and increase the power and the reputation of her family. Mei was filled with determination and decided to be the next head of the family. Pursuing her own dreams was out of the question.

Her mother was proud and happy by the decision Mei made. Plenty of teachers within the Chinese Martial Arts were used to help train her in the many styles they held. However, it did not take long before Mei even decided on picking up some specific styles. She had a knack for both the Shuai Jiao and the Heihuquan styles. Most of the people in general went with the tradional styles such as the Southern or the Northern, but she was different.

She was also told to focus on her Ki, or rather her inner energy and aura in order to manipulate it, and perhaps create something original only to herself, if anything. It was quite difficult for her to understand how that was done, and took her about 2-3 years before she was able to properly use it. That's when she created a technique she named the "Tiger Claws".

This was very odd to her mother, but nevertheless, she practiced, trained and wanted to achieve more. Time passed. Years went by, and she finally enrolled into the popular New Peaks Academy where she could face new challenges, and hopefully make her family the way it was before her father died.​

Last edited:
@Greased Smitening

I've done a mental review of the character, but am going to let you take a swing at it first.

@Akashi
*cracks knuckles*

Alrighty. After further review, I'm penalizing this CS for pass interference gonna break it down bit by bit.

I'll do the easy parts first.

Personality's fine enough, and the backstory has just one issue: It's New Peaks. I don't know where everyone gets Twin Peaks, but it's New Peaks. xD

Anywho.

First off, Wushu isn't a fighting style; it's more like the word meaning the conglomeration of Chinese martial arts. In other words, pick one, bruh. Plenty of choices available to you, all you gotta do is pick...but Wushu won't cut it.

Now for the critical issue, the power section.

New Peaks students only get one power, so you're going to need to drop one, first of all. Secondly, the Tiger Claws are not going to be acceptable as-is. Something like that, that can cut at mid-range, is overpowered for a first year-even Shotaro isn't going to be able to fight when he's bleeding out and can't get near because of those things. If you want to keep them, you'll have to nerf them to melee range and make them hella costly: no more than...let's go with two uses a fight right now, with mild cutting and knockback being the max output, or the equivalent of that. Basically, either keep the relatively useless thruster power, or nerf the Tiger Claws and keep those.

Also, one little tidbit here...your CS contains a LOT of sentence fragments. I'm no grammar Nazi, but having fragments in that volume is going to be distracting and obnoxious. Try to string sentences together a bit more, or at least complete your thoughts, man.

Lastly, you've clearly not read the rules. All I'm going to say on that matter.

Altogether, solid effort, and I like the character and what she can bring. All you need to do is make the needed edits and we should be good, mkay?

Reactions: Akashi
Personality's fine enough, and the backstory has just one issue: It's New Peaks. I don't know where everyone gets Twin Peaks, but it's New Peaks. xD
Alright. Sorry about the Twin Peaks part. I guess it must be that one old TV show that got to me. Anyhow, that's been fixed.

First off, Wushu isn't a fighting style; it's more like the word meaning the conglomeration of Chinese martial arts. In other words, pick one, bruh. Plenty of choices available to you, all you gotta do is pick...but Wushu won't cut it.
Indeed. From withing the Chinese Martial Arts, there are two styles my character has taken up, and that's the Internal Style and External. I only mentioned Wushu so the readers would know I'm referring to Chinese Martial Arts. And more specifically, within Chinese Martial Arts, its the external and the internal styles. However, I'll go ahead and add Shaolinquan & Heihuquan. It's been added to the CS. I hope that will suffice.

New Peaks students only get one power, so you're going to need to drop one, first of all. Secondly, the Tiger Claws are not going to be acceptable as-is. Something like that, that can cut at mid-range, is overpowered for a first year-even Shotaro isn't going to be able to fight when he's bleeding out and can't get near because of those things. If you want to keep them, you'll have to nerf them to melee range and make them hella costly: no more than...let's go with two uses a fight right now, with mild cutting and knockback being the max output, or the equivalent of that. Basically, either keep the relatively useless thruster power, or nerf the Tiger Claws and keep those.
I've removed the thruster power. I never did get the right feeling considering how I actually wanted that to be. I'll keep the Tiger Claws. Take it down to close-range and two uses a fight?. I can work with what you've suggested. So I'll add that in.

Also, one little tidbit here...your CS contains a LOT of sentence fragments. I'm no grammar Nazi, but having fragments in that volume is going to be distracting and obnoxious. Try to string sentences together a bit more, or at least complete your thoughts, man.
I agree on this part. I read through the CS myself today and found the same mistakes. I was basically half-awake yesterday and pretty much rushed the background entirely. At the spur of the moment I just kept going and I knew exactly how it'd end up, and thats what you expressed. I usually dont make CS like that, with such grammar issues. I'll see to it that I can fix it. Though I'll try my best, but fyi, english is not my first language, but that shouldn't pose a problem. I just wanted to lay that out there.

So check my CS again with the changes you've asked of me. Thank you.

EDIT: I've updated the background history. Tried my best to make more sense out of it. I hope it's an easier read this time. I also read the rules and added a little something extra to the CS.

Last edited:
Shaolinquan & Heihuquan
I'm ok with the Heihuquan, as Black Tiger Style is a variant of Tiger Style that has emerged as a distinct art within the past two centuries. However I have to point something out. While I am well-versed in the field of martial arts knowledge, I'm going to take something directly from the Wikipedia page for "Shaolinquan", which redirects to "Shaolin Kung Fu", as it explains this far better than I could.

Like the usual system of Chinese martial arts, Shaolin combat methods are taught via forms (套路; tàolù). Some forms, like Small Hongquan, have just one section, and some, like Big Hongquan, have 3 or maybe more smaller parts, which every part can be considered a form itself. Some forms that are technically closely related are coupled together and are considered of the same style (sub-style is a better choice for the word), like Small and Big Hongquan, which altogether make the Shaolin Hongquan style; or Small and Big Paoquan, which make Shaolin Paoquan, Small and Big Tongbiquan, which make Shaolin Tongbiquan, Qi Xing and Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, etc.

There are some styles with one form, like Taizu Changquan, and styles that have been expanded into 5, 10, 13, 18, or even more forms. For example, Luohan 18 hands, which was originally one form, was expanded into 18 forms until the late Ming dynasty; Luohanquan, which originally just had small and big forms, has been expanded into a system of 18 forms called 18 Luohanquan; Shaolin big Hongquan nowadays has 13 forms; etc. Indeed, these styles are not complete or stand-alone, this is just a classification of different forms of Shaolin kung fu based on their technical contents.

Shaolin kung fu has more than hundreds of extant styles. There is recorded documentation of more than a thousand extant forms, which makes Shaolin the biggest school of martial art in the world. In the Qing dynasty (1644-1911), Shaolin monks chose 100 of the best styles of Shaolin kung fu. Then they shortlisted the 18 most famous of them. However, every lineage of Shaolin monks have always chosen their own styles. Every style teaches unique methods for fighting (散打; san da) and keeping health via one or a few forms. To learn a complete system, Shaolin monks master a number of styles and weapons. The most famous styles of Shaolin kung fu are:

Arhat's 18 hands (罗汉十八手; luóhàn shíbā shǒu): known as the oldest style.

Flood style (洪拳; hóngquán): with the small form (小洪拳; xiǎo hóngquán) known as the son of the styles, and the big form (大洪拳; dà hóngquán) known as the mother of the styles,

Explosive style (炮拳; pàoquán): known as the king of the styles,

Through-the-Arms style (通臂拳; tōngbìquán),

7-star & Long Guard the Heart and Mind Gate style (七星 & 长护心意门拳; qī xīng & cháng hù xīn yì mén quán),

Plum Blossom style (梅花拳; méihuāquán),

Facing & Bright Sun style (朝&昭 阳拳; cháo & zhāo yáng quán),

Arhat style (罗汉拳; luóhànquán): known as the most representative style,

Vajrapani style (金刚拳; jīn'gāngquán),

Emperor's Long-range style (太祖长拳; tàizǔ chángquán): known as the most graceful style,

Guard the Home style (看家拳; kānjiāquán),

Chain Hands and Short-range combat (连手短打; lián shǒu duǎn dǎ),

5 Combinations style (五合拳; wǔhéquán),

6-Match style (六合拳; liùhéquán),

Soft style (柔拳; róuquán),

Mind (心意拳; xīnyìquán) aka Confusing Path style (迷踪拳; mízōngquán),

Imitative styles (象形拳; xiàngxíngquán) (including Dragon, Tiger, Leopard, Eagle, Monkey, Mantis, etc.),

Drunken style (醉拳; zuìquán)

and many other styles.

As you might assume after reading that, "Shaolinquan" is not acceptable. As with your selection of Wushu before it, Shaolinquan is a blanket term for Shaolin Martial Arts as a whole, not simply a single style. Please choose a single style, rather than a catch-all term.

Oi. Fight School peeps.

Beta's trying to make the bracket, but he needs 3 more NPCs to fill it out.

This seems like a good time to bring that contest back, Make an NPC.

Sooooo...do it.

Nao.

I'm ok with the Heihuquan, as Black Tiger Style is a variant of Tiger Style that has emerged as a distinct art within the past two centuries. However I have to point something out. While I am well-versed in the field of martial arts knowledge, I'm going to take something directly from the Wikipedia page for "Shaolinquan", which redirects to "Shaolin Kung Fu", as it explains this far better than I could.

Like the usual system of Chinese martial arts, Shaolin combat methods are taught via forms (套路; tàolù). Some forms, like Small Hongquan, have just one section, and some, like Big Hongquan, have 3 or maybe more smaller parts, which every part can be considered a form itself. Some forms that are technically closely related are coupled together and are considered of the same style (sub-style is a better choice for the word), like Small and Big Hongquan, which altogether make the Shaolin Hongquan style; or Small and Big Paoquan, which make Shaolin Paoquan, Small and Big Tongbiquan, which make Shaolin Tongbiquan, Qi Xing and Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, etc.

There are some styles with one form, like Taizu Changquan, and styles that have been expanded into 5, 10, 13, 18, or even more forms. For example, Luohan 18 hands, which was originally one form, was expanded into 18 forms until the late Ming dynasty; Luohanquan, which originally just had small and big forms, has been expanded into a system of 18 forms called 18 Luohanquan; Shaolin big Hongquan nowadays has 13 forms; etc. Indeed, these styles are not complete or stand-alone, this is just a classification of different forms of Shaolin kung fu based on their technical contents.

Shaolin kung fu has more than hundreds of extant styles. There is recorded documentation of more than a thousand extant forms, which makes Shaolin the biggest school of martial art in the world. In the Qing dynasty (1644-1911), Shaolin monks chose 100 of the best styles of Shaolin kung fu. Then they shortlisted the 18 most famous of them. However, every lineage of Shaolin monks have always chosen their own styles. Every style teaches unique methods for fighting (散打; san da) and keeping health via one or a few forms. To learn a complete system, Shaolin monks master a number of styles and weapons. The most famous styles of Shaolin kung fu are:

Arhat's 18 hands (罗汉十八手; luóhàn shíbā shǒu): known as the oldest style.

Flood style (洪拳; hóngquán): with the small form (小洪拳; xiǎo hóngquán) known as the son of the styles, and the big form (大洪拳; dà hóngquán) known as the mother of the styles,

Explosive style (炮拳; pàoquán): known as the king of the styles,

Through-the-Arms style (通臂拳; tōngbìquán),

7-star & Long Guard the Heart and Mind Gate style (七星 & 长护心意门拳; qī xīng & cháng hù xīn yì mén quán),

Plum Blossom style (梅花拳; méihuāquán),

Facing & Bright Sun style (朝&昭 阳拳; cháo & zhāo yáng quán),

Arhat style (罗汉拳; luóhànquán): known as the most representative style,

Vajrapani style (金刚拳; jīn'gāngquán),

Emperor's Long-range style (太祖长拳; tàizǔ chángquán): known as the most graceful style,

Guard the Home style (看家拳; kānjiāquán),

Chain Hands and Short-range combat (连手短打; lián shǒu duǎn dǎ),

5 Combinations style (五合拳; wǔhéquán),

6-Match style (六合拳; liùhéquán),

Soft style (柔拳; róuquán),

Mind (心意拳; xīnyìquán) aka Confusing Path style (迷踪拳; mízōngquán),

Imitative styles (象形拳; xiàngxíngquán) (including Dragon, Tiger, Leopard, Eagle, Monkey, Mantis, etc.),

Drunken style (醉拳; zuìquán)

and many other styles.

As you might assume after reading that, "Shaolinquan" is not acceptable. As with your selection of Wushu before it, Shaolinquan is a blanket term for Shaolin Martial Arts as a whole, not simply a single style. Please choose a single style, rather than a catch-all term.
Yes, indeed it does. And as per your request I've removed Shaolinquan and added Shuai Jiao instead. I hope that works?

Shuai Jiao is acceptable, but if you would be so kind as to use a generalized belt ranking to signify her skill level, I'd appreciate it. I know many traditional Chinese styles don't use belts in such a way, but it's merely for reference. After that, I can accept her.

Just note, with two styles, she can't be a black belt in either one of them.

You forgot one thing, Beta.

Cut the age down a year. 16's a bit old to be a freshman, ehe.

Shuai Jiao is acceptable, but if you would be so kind as to use a generalized belt ranking to signify her skill level, I'd appreciate it. I know many traditional Chinese styles don't use belts in such a way, but it's merely for reference. After that, I can accept her.

Just note, with two styles, she can't be a black belt in either one of them.
Added :)

You forgot one thing, Beta.

Cut the age down a year. 16's a bit old to be a freshman, ehe.
I've seen others at the age 16. That's why I made her 16. I can cut that down to 15 if that's what you want.

Yeah, it's what we've told everyone else. Literally EVERYONE wants a 16 year old. No special treatment for ya, sorry about that. :P

Yeah, it's what we've told everyone else. Literally EVERYONE wants a 16 year old. No special treatment for ya, sorry about that. :P
I dont want any special treatment, nor did I ask for it. What I said was that there are other characters that are 16 years old. Perhaps they forgot to update their CS'.

Possible.

In any case, you are approved and added to the roster. Feel free to post in the IC.

In light of the new addition, we still need TWO 1st-Year NPCs. If the current cast of players could please make those, I would appreciate it. That way we will have a full bracket of 16 characters for the tournament.

• Thank You
Possible.

In any case, you are approved and added to the roster. Feel free to post in the IC.
Thanks. I gotta check the IC and see where I can introduce my char. By the way, you guys have some sort of PM group here on Iwaku? Nowadays, most of the RPs have something like that where they can chat, plan and such.

Thanks. I gotta check the IC and see where I can introduce my char. By the way, you guys have some sort of PM group here on Iwaku? Nowadays, most of the RPs have something like that where they can chat, plan and such.
Your best bet'll prolly be waiting for Beta's next GM post-then the tournament will start, which will give you plenty of opportunity for introductions.

Also, don't forget, best NPC gets a prize, so get a character makin'~

Your best bet'll prolly be waiting for Beta's next GM post
Um... there's still a couple hours IC time before the tourney starts... Akashi could post Mei getting ready for the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.