Favorite book series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course as soon as I try to think it over, I forget every book I've ever read.

Harry Potter is an easy choice. One of my favorite memories is of staying up late in a cabin on vacation, reading the Sorcerer's Stone in the loft. Does Discworld count? Or is that more of a universe kinda thing? Uhh, Series of Unfortunate Events? The eighth one still marks as the only book that's made me cry, ever. I also kinda like Percy Jackson. Ugh, too many to choose one.

Other than The Dark Tower series..ummm
the Chet and Bernie mysteries by Spencer Quinn
Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning
and the Barking Detective series by Waverly Curtis

• Love
Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
Lets see... Lord of the Rings, Stieg Larssons Millenium, Del Toro/Hogan The Strain, Thomas Harris Hannibal series, the Song of Ice and Fire series, Tom Clancy Jack Ryan series,

- Harry Potter
- The Belgariad/Malloreon and the Belgarth and Polgara prequels
- The Wicked series (by Debbie Viguié and Nancy Holder, not the similarly named book by Gregory Maguire - although I own that book too)
- The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
- The Legend Of Drizzt
- The Caster Chronicles
- The Raven Cycle

I'm not very far into the Discworld series, but I've loved what I've read so far.
Terry Pratchett was one of a kind as an author. You can read any standalone story without prior knowledge and it holds up. You can start reading any of the different Focus Archs like The Watch or Wyrd Sisters and be fine. His first 2 books were a bit unrefined, to stuck in the parody of it all. But later on his writing was some of the finest fantasy you will ever read. Also the most human, endearing and clever writing. He addressed racism, religion and industrialism. He made coming of age stories, and political conspiracy parodies. His portraya of death is as iconic as Ingmar Bergmans. And not once did it deviate from the internal narrative and logic of his books.

Enjoy the ride. Discworld is a tour de force in clever and creative world building.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
In particular I really loved his book Thud!

Thud! is pretty fantastic. It takes dwarves and trolls and make it a funny bit of commentary the tension that sometimes spark up between ethnicity's with a long past.

Exactly :D I found it quite relevant to generalizations people have of each other. It was quite enlightening. Jingo was a lot like that as well :D

Exactly :D I found it quite relevant to generalizations people have of each other. It was quite enlightening. Jingo was a lot like that as well :D
Jingo is pretty a direct comment on the relationship between the West and alot of middle east. ANd how ignorance and lashing out on those of other ethnicities is always wrong, regardless of what the goverment is in that ethnicity's home country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jingo is pretty a direct comment on the relationship between the West and alot of middle east. ANd how ignorance and lashing out on those of other ethnicities is always wrong, regardless of what the goverment is in that ethnicity's home country.
That's exactly why I liked it ^_^ having dealt with those kind of issues in real life, it was nice to see it brought out in a nice comedic but oh so true way in Jingo.

- The Dark Series: Christine Feehan
- Dune Series: Frank Herbert, Brain Herbert, and Kevin Anderson.
- Forgotten Realms Series: R.A Salvatore
- Dragonlance: Laura and Tracy Hickman, Margaret Weis
- Dragonriders of Pern: Anne McCaffrey, Todd McCaffrey

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. An amazing high fantasy series with an incredibly deep backstory and world lore. Really emotionally provoking characters and storylines.

Also the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula le Guin. A bit hard to read in the later books as things get a bit mysterious and philosophical but enjoyable for how calm they are. There's dragons and magic and 'demons' but things never explode into violene. Its an interesting world. The only downside is the lack of world building that leaves you wanting to know more about the countries.

Also the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula le Guin.
One of my favourite series :)

I also love the Deverry Cycle series by Katherine Kerr :)

The Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy is my current favourite series. I can't think of any other series that really comes close. The Dark Forest on its own is one of my favourite books ever. I'm looking forward to the translation of the third book that comes out this year.

The Metro series. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is, since they made it into games, and popularity doesn't really equal quality. I do love the games too, but the books are better.

The Sprawl trilogy made me interested in cyberpunk, and I'm glad for it.

The Darth Bane trilogy is pretty great too. I didn't really care for Star Wars before I read it, except for a few of the games, but some of the star wars books are worth reading. I found them more interesting than any of the movies. Darth Bane is my favourite among them.

Im absolutely loving The Dresden Files and Discworld but series like the Abhorsen Trilogy, Kristen Cashore's Graceling series, and the Redwall series have a special place in my heart. Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles is also amazing and both Brent Week's series have dragged me right in.

But I will always love Neil Gaimen the most.

Gah too many to pick from!

Reactions: Tempusst
animorphs-covers.jpg

A lot of people who grew up during the late nineties are probably at least a little familiar with the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate. It was pretty popular at the time and it formed an important part of my childhood.

The basic premise is fairly straightforward: a group of kids receive the power to morph into animals and use it to fight aliens. Fun stuff for young readers, and definitely enough to keep me hooked through sixty some odd books.

Except it was built around a complex, interwoven message about the horrors of war and its effects on young people. Seriously, there was some pretty dark shit going on in these books that were supposedly just a light series intended for kids and preteens.

I'm trying to read through all of them again at the moment just to revisit the stories, but I'm also interested in finding out just how profound some of the content was and how I might appreciate it more fully now that I'm older.

The series interestingly was also about 90% ghostwritten, but we won't get in to that

• Love
Oh! I forgot one:
U-S-book-covers-the-underland-chronicles-24981476-1049-319.png

The Underland Chronicles were Suzanne Collins first book series. I remember reading the first two all the way back in third grade and I devoured them. It's aimed more at kids than the Hunger Games was, but like Animorphs, it's darker then it looks at first glance. By the end of the last book a lot of people have died and some deaths can be pretty disturbing.

Triskelion-book-1-triskelion-27647618-168-256.jpg
58cb739b2772cc84c96a8029fab59100.jpg
51uxay-cV2L._AC_UL320_SR216,320_.jpg

The Triskellion series is awesome :D It starts out like a fantasy but then it becomes more sci-fi :3

And then my ultimate favourite, the Wind on Fire

20140828_154214.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.