Family Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kiscokids123

Original poster
The Grimm Family. What more needs to be said?

Arthur came in through the door, his coat wet from the rain outside and himself tired from a long day at work. He set his suitcase down in the kitchen and slumped down on the couch. No one had come to welcome him home yet and he tried to relax.

Ruth walked into the kitchen, a laundry basket at her hip. She had bags under her eyes and her lipstick had faded, but her eyes brightened as she saw her husband. "You're home early," she said as a clap of thunder shook the small house.

"Michael wanted to let the intern have some time with responsibilty" he sighed "I feel like he is gonna sack me at any moment" he stood up and walked over to her "how was your day anyway, my love?"

She sighed and put the laundry on the table. "The little monster didn't have school today, so I sent her to my mom's to have some piece and quiet."

"I thought they said it would get easier. They never told us teenagers were this difficult" he sighed "at least it gives us. Big of alone time" he placed his hands on her hips and cuddled her into his chest "I love you"

She smiled and closed her eyes. "I love you, too. And I'm sorry about your job. It'll get better, dear. I promise."

"I hope so" he sighed his fingers circling on her waist "I don't know what we will do if I get sacked. I won't be able to support either of you"

"Don't worry about that," she said with a knowing smile. "Just think about what you want for dinner tonight."

"I don't want you to work, baby, you look tired as it is" he moved away slightly "I'll go get her and you order us some Chinese, alright?"

She pulled him back toward her and pecked him lightly. "Don't be long," she whispered.

"I won't be baby" he smiled and left the house. The ran had lightened up and he went to her mothers house. He knocked on the door three times.

The door opened and Shelia blew a puff of smoke into his face. "Arthur, what a pleasant surprise," she coughed. "Come for my ham recipe?"

"Not quite, Sheila" he coughed at the smoke "I was wondering if my daughter was here? I need to take her home for dinner"

Shelia smiled goodnaturedly and nodded. "Come in while I get her." She put the cigarette between her teeth and walked into the house.

He grimaced as her back was turned but followed her into the smoky house "how have you been Sheila?"

"Oh, you know," she said, waving her hand. "I never get out of the house anymore, but my tomatoes are doing-" Here she stopped to have a small coughing fit. "Wonderfully." She stopped at the bottom of the stairs. "Faith! Your father's here!"

"That's great" he smiled at her, trying to make it look natural. He could hear his daughter upstairs "did she have anyone around?"

"Just Reuben," Shelia said. "But he's always here."

Faith's backpack flew down the stairs, quickly followed by the girl herself, dirty-blonde hair flying behind her. "Hi, Dad!" she cried, landing inches in front of him.

"Hey Faith" he smiled at her "have a good time with granny?" He looked up the stairs "how's Reuben?"

Status
Not open for further replies.