Family Values

Status
Not open for further replies.
She ran a hand through her hair and glanced at the mail on the table so Faith wouldn't see.

"We can talk about it later, baby" he smiled "Faith go do your homework before dinner...Mr Jeffries tells me you have some History due for tomorrow"

"How did you know?" Faith asked, getting up from the table obediently.

"He phoned me at work" he frowned "says its some important essay you need to finish. We don't want your grades to drop do we, my little straight A student?"

She paled a bit and nodded. "Yeah, Dad," she said quickly, running up the back steps.

He frowned "that dealt with her...I didn't even know there was history homework. Now...what was sent in the post?"

Ruth picked up the mail and sorted through it, handing her husband five letters. "Two more bills than last time. And, this." She held up a red letter. "It's from the school."

"More bills..." He moaned "what does the one from the school say? Surely it can't be bad, they said she was a model student last parents evening"

"I didn't open it yet," she said, staring at it like it was on fire. "But it's red, Arthur. We've never gotten a red letter before."

"I'm sure it can't be too bad" he frowned "you read that one and I'll work out the bills, ok? There's no need to worry, my love"

She bit her lip and wrapped her arms around her waist. "I hope so," she whispered, reaching for the letter again.

He sat down at the table and stared at the bills "we should be fine with these for another month or so...but I need a new job...I'll go to the job office after work tomorrow to see if there's any openings"

Ruth fiddled with her reading glasses. "And tomorrow I'll stop by the library tomorrow and see if I can get extra shifts." She sighed, tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear and opened the red letter.

"What's it say?" He looked over at her, trying to look confident for her sake "is it anything to worry about?"

Her lip trembled. "Well...she's not an honor student anymore..."

"What?" He looked up suddenly "what has she done?"

"What hasn't she done?" Ruth moaned, skimming the letter. "There was school today. Did you know there was school today?"

"She skived school?" He looked down "let me read" he snatched the letter away and moaned "should I talk to her or not? I mean we need to but is right now the time?"

"I don't know," Ruth said, putting her head in her hands. "We've failed as parents, Arthur."

"No...." He hugged her tight "im sure there must be something else, Ruth...this isn't like her at all"

Status
Not open for further replies.