Facts That you Know for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Greenie
The area of your body referred to as the "mental" area is actually your chin. In anatomical terms, that word has nothing to do with the brain.

Possily the most threatening weapon today is not the nuke. It's kinetic bombardment satellites. In a nutshell, they're satellites placed as far up as possible carrying payloads of one-foot thick tungsten rods. When dropped from orbit, these rods reach speeds up to mach 10 and hit the ground with a force equivalent to about three to four tons of TnT. Small compared to a nuke, but they have several big advantages. Firstly is speed; after the order is given, a nuke can take hours to be fired and reach its target. These so called "rods from gods" can be aimed, fired, and strike in a matter of ten minutes. Secondly, they're virtually impossible to defend against. Whereas a nuke can be shot down, a kinetic orbital strike is a 1 foot thick rod moving at mach 10. No targeting system that currently exists can take one of those out of the air. Additionally, their shape and speed means they penetrate far into the ground like a bullet through dirt, so they can pierce bunkers that would protect one from a nuke.
Finally, they are one hundred percent legal by international law. The Outer Space Treaty forbids the placement of "weapons of mass destruction" in space, but a weapon of mass destruction is defined as "a chemical, biological or radioactive weapon capable of causing widespread death and destruction." Tungsten rods are not chemical, biological, or radioactive, so they are allowed within the bounds of the treaty.
Legal, fast, and nearly impossible to defend against. The blast is no nuke, but 4 tons of TnT is still enough to kill enough in the radius. Fun.

America wasn't founded on Christianity. Most of the founding fathers were deist. And "one nation under God" wasn't added to the national pledge until 1954.

I could go on with random (sometimes terrifying) facts I know, but I'll leave it at that. For now.

Reactions: Dervish
Reactions: Shiri
Supermarket apples are typically around a year old.

There are Santa universities.

Hummingbirds have super small feet so they can't walk or hop. They just sort of scoot if needed.

• Useful
Peppers don't effect birds, so they don't taste the surface of the sun if they eat a ghost pepper. The peppers evolved to have their seeds distributed by bird droppings, and mammals eating the peppers destroy the seeds and thus the seeds are pretty much the equivilent of someone going into a sperm bank to use the stored baby batter as mayo, so the peppers pretty much fuck mammals who eat it up by being uncomfortable to eat because the plants evolved that as a defensive strategy.

Of course, humans being stubborn idiots, we like to murder our mouths and butt holes with napalm flavouring for some reason despite the peppers deliverately doing that to get us to go away and eat something less threatening, like tarantulas or something.

Last edited:
A strawberry isn't a berry. A banana is, however.

Dr. Robotnik/Eggman was almost Sega's mascot instead of Sonic. He was originally designed as a protagonist (among other potential mascots alongside Sonic), but, when they decided on Sonic, they still wanted to use Robotnik's design for something, so they made him a bit more evil-looking and redesigned him as an antagonist for Sonic's game.

Also, because Sega wanted a mascot in order to compete with Super Mario, Robotnik was originally designed to be somewhat visually similar to Mario. Some of this is still evident in his in-game design -- with the same red color scheme, similar buttons on his outfit, and a mustache.

So, in a roundabout sort of way, the big bad of the Sonic universe is basically Mario. That's... meta. :P

Maria Theresa of Habsburg monarchy used to talk with dead in a crypt, but was so plump that she couldn't fit there properly and needed the crypt to be expanded so that she woudln't get stuck in there...

Vampire squid look scary but they are actually babies. They don't predate on live prey, and instead just float in the water with a filament extended to catch marine snow. They get scared easily and when spooked, turn themselves inside out to look like a spiky beach ball.

Vampire-Squid-feeding.jpg

^ a baby

Most jellyfish can more accurately be called 'medusae'. Doesn't that summon a much nicer picture? A pretty medusa, floating in the water.

You are many, many times more likely to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat or contaminated water/soil than from your cat, but people like to make a fuss about how your cat is super likely to give you a parasite. Naw dude. Especially if your kitty is a kitty convict and doesn't go outside, like mine.

• Love
Reactions: Dervish and Greenie
You are many, many times more likely to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat or contaminated water/soil than from your cat
If I could, I'd make this into a plaque and hang it in the entrance of the house. o.o''

If I could, I'd make this into a plaque and hang it in the entrance of the house. o.o''
Do you have people going 'ooooh, gotta watch out for that toxoplasmosis' every time you tell them you have a cat, too? Because that shit is annoying AF

Do you have people going 'ooooh, gotta watch out for that toxoplasmosis' every time you tell them you have a cat, too? Because that shit is annoying AF
That and being fussed at about a kitty being dirty in general. O_O" It gets rather irritating if I'm being honest.

Apparently octopuses feel like a giant cold booger.

I love this channel. :bsmile:

The gene that controls whether a cat is ginger or black is located on the X chromosome. Which is why almost all Calico/Tortoiseshell cats are female (two X chromosomes to have both a ginger and black allele) and the rare male are generally infertile (XXY chromosomes).

Tabby markings are a dominant trait in cats. As is short fur. To get a solid colour cat requires two recessive Tabby genes.

Grey and Cream cats are actually solid Black and Ginger cats with a colour dilution gene.

White spotting, or how much white is in your cats coat, is a semi-dominant trait. Two recessive genes will have no white, one recessive one dominant will have some white, and two dominant genes will have lots of white. (This is not the case for Solid White Cats)

---

Non-Feline info!

Diamonds are worthless. There are so many of them in the world that they are worth far less than what you pay to have one. The price is inflated manually, as one company has a virtual monopoly on them all.

Virginity is not a real thing. There's no way to actually tell if someone is a virgin or not. Its a social construct that was invented to place value on a woman so she'd be easier to marry off, and its been blown into this huge thing that really shouldn't matter.

Unless you are stranded without access to water, you are in very little danger of dehydrating. Just drink when you're thirsty. There's no medical evidence that supports the thought that we need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. And if you're exercising and drinking too much, you actually run the risk of over hydrating and hurting yourself. So yes, staying hydrated is important, but your body is really good at telling you what it needs.

If you do not have a deficiency, Vitamin supplements won't actually do anything for you. We need vitamins in very trace amounts, and over ingesting them can actually hurt more than help. Vitamin C also has no effect on how long your cold lasts, or help you prevent catching a cold.

Dark chocolate is a natural cough suppressant.

• Bucket of Rainbows
There used to be two letters that are now gone from the alphabet. The first was called 'thorn', and was most similar to 'y', with the 'th' sound. It was why Old English writing used 'ye' instead of 'the', and so on so forth. The other was literally just two uu's, and was replaced by the letter 'w'. Y and W only came in the late sixteenth century.

... Well, if my recall is perfect, that's how it is. I read a lot of random shit for pleasure but I don't recall everything perfectly.

There used to be two letters that are now gone from the alphabet. The first was called 'thorn', and was most similar to 'y', with the 'th' sound. It was why Old English writing used 'ye' instead of 'the', and so on so forth. The other was literally just two uu's, and was replaced by the letter 'w'. Y and W only came in the late sixteenth century.

... Well, if my recall is perfect, that's how it is. I read a lot of random shit for pleasure but I don't recall everything perfectly.
Isn't the ampersand also considered a 27th letter of the alphabet?

In none-natural colour red hair dye, they use copper in the colour and this is why it fades so quickly. Most hair dyes fade a little and turn into a set colour, well the red will carry on fading if you never redye it.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Pencil lead isn't actually lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.