Experiments Reborn

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hug meant progress. She knew he felt love for her, because it was what they'd relied on so many times before. It didn't last long, but it didn't need to. She smiled as he let go, and together, they walked out of the room. Aari could be helped. The terrible work Dr. Cordren had done could be undone. The hug proved it.

She took the lead downstairs, holding onto his hand as they walked through the people. The number of strays, as Chris had so eloquently put it, was growing, but hopefully they would dwindle by morning. She felt the snarl rise in Aari's throat, but Chris came to save them from any potential attack by leading them away as she nodded. The kitchens were spacious enough to house plenty of people, but by 'less,' Chris had meant just one person.

A young woman sat on the counter, flipping a small piece of chicken around in her fingers like she was playing with it. Her hair was white with black curls down starting in the middle of her locks. Her eyes were a bright blue-green, and they were alight with mischief as Chris entered. "Hey, Bird-Boy," she said with a smile before her inquisitive gaze raked over Aari and Jay. "Takin' dragons in now? When'd this happen?" She watched as Jay tried not to laugh at the absurd nickname, something she would use against him next time he called her something.

((Her name is Layla Tigris. :3))

Chris grimaced at the name, giving Layla a look that spoke of exasperation, but also tolerance. She'd always called him that and while he hated it - or at least pretended to absolutely loath it - he missed her when she was gone and tugged her black and white hair when he moved past. "Today, about three hours ago. Don't ask, it wasn't purposeful." the redhead retorted, moving into the kitchen itself and digging around in the fridge.

"She's Jayveleme; civil, no concept of modesty, but don't piss her off. He's Aarinthor...just...small movements and don't touch his sister." Chris summed up rather bluntly and Aari growled in a low, rumbling way at him before his pale blue eyes moved to settle on Layla, his nose flaring as he took in her scent. It was unlike anything he'd smelled before but that meant nothing to him. He hadn't smelled many things around here and she was just something else he didn't understand. She also hadn't made any move toward him, though, or Jay, so he ignored her for the moment and instead scented again, looking toward Chris as the phoenix pulled out a great hunk of meat. Lots of werewolves and other were-creatures passed through here and most liked meat.

Judging by Aari's suddenly dilated eyes and intent expression, he wasn't an exception and the redhead looked to Jay. "You guys eat it raw or cooked?....Or do you not eat meat...you did say you were part elf, too, right?"

No concept of modesty? Well, that easily made her upset, but, she didn't act on it. Instead, she made sure Aari didn't try to attack Chris again. When Chris brought the meat out, she wasn't sure if she wanted it or not. Layla pulled a piece off and ate it, apparently breaking the ice for the rest of them.

"Aari, you can have as much as you want," she said, letting him go, though there was caution in the release. "I'll just... have some vegetables." She'd eaten nothing but meat in the facility, and it seemed Aari was the same. She didn't know if she had the right to allow him as much food as he wanted, but if anyone tried to take it from him, they were going to get their hands bitten off.

"I'm goin' to ask you anyway, Birdy. What makes you think takin' in dragons is a good idea?" Layla inquired, getting a strange look from Jay. Was there something wrong with them? The girl seemed to have no tact, just like the way Chris had summed them up.

Aari glanced at his sister when his hand was released and then back at Chris with a low snarl in his throat, pale blue eyes flickering from the meat to the male near it and Chris held up his hands and slowly backed away. "It's yours." he said simply enough and then watched with some genuine surprise as the hybrid leaped, sailing over the counter, grabbing the meat and then retreating into the farthest corner of the kitchen, growling the entire time as he started to devour the raw meat.

Conditioning had taught him that if he didn't eat his food quickly, fight for it, then he went hungry and that was not going to change in two days of being away from the facility.

Chris shook his head, but for Jay's sake, he didn't say anything to or about her brother and instead looked to Layla even as he moved to get the vegetables out for Jay, glancing at her too. "Well... I don't. Dealing with dragons is never a good idea, but..." He shrugged. "They are my kin, Layla. Sure, I thought them extinct, but here they are. Viola!" He passed over a plate of chopped up celery, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber and such to Jay and sat at a stool on the opposite side of the counter.

The phoenix ran a hand through his hair. "Besides, I couldn't just leave them out there. Sure, I say I ain't takin' in strays, but we all know I don't always have control in the matter. Besides, she," He pointed at Jay. "I'm not worried about." Gray eyes met hazel-green. "You're like the dragons from ages past, young, but not completely unreasonable even if you're stubborn and prideful as hell, and hey, that just comes with your heritage, but him..." Chris glanced to Aari who was still eating.

"He's feral. I've seen a few feral dragons and...that's never a good thing, Jayveleme. I'm sorry, but it's not."

Last edited:
Jay's eyes narrowed at the comment, but her gaze switched to Aari for a moment. He was scarfing his feast like it was going to be taken from him. She didn't like that, but she wasn't going to say anything. She took the tray, snapping a carrot in half and making Layla twitch with the sound. "It's just... Jay," she said, trying not to get angry at him. her full name was reserved for her parents only, and it was going to stay that way.

She ate the whole carrot and half of a cucumber, and the more Chris talked, the angrier she got. One green wing flared out as she slammed the tray down on the counter, ignoring some of the food as it rolled off. "I'm going upstairs," she said, her voice flat. She stood up and walked over to Aari, not daring to touch him or the meat he was almost finished with. "I'm going back upstairs. Do you want to come with me?" Knowing he didn't want to be separated from her, she walked out of the room and up the stairs, Aari following. She would be surprised if he didn't.

She slammed the door shut as she got to the room, stalking out onto the balcony and leaning on the rail. Her brother wasn't feral. She could help change him. He needed her. They were all they had, Chris and his house be damned.

Layla watched them walk away before she turned back to Chris. "You oughta keep your mouth shut, it seems. You like makin' her mad." She picked up a celery before gnawing on the end, deciding she didn't like it.

Aari did indeed follow his sister, abandoning the last of the meat because she was more important than food. He didn't know where that thought had come from, but it was true and he bristled, snarling loudly, nearly verging on roaring as he passed Chris. The phoenix had angered his sister and Aari would have liked nothing more than to tear into him, but Jay needed him and she'd asked him not to. If there was anyone he was going to even remotely listen to, it was his twin.

He left the kitchen, following Jay up to the room and he watched her with narrowed pale blue eyes as she went to the balcony, her entire state speaking of anger and agitation to him. He feared, for a moment, that he'd done something wrong - he'd been trying to be good, he had! - but in the end decided the blame rested with the stupid bird. He growled at the very thought of the male before moving toward his sister.

Aari didn't come at her from behind. Her wings were there and she didn't like them confined so instead he moved to her side and bent his head, rubbing his forehead against her temple with a soft whimper, reaching up to hesitantly run his clawed fingers down through the hair at the back of her head like she did to him. He wanted to help her, but he didn't know how anymore.

--

Chris watched them both go, relaxing again only after Aari was gone, and then cursed, putting his head in his hands and flipping Layla the bird when she spoke without even looking at her. His voice was muffled by his hands. "Thank you for the newsflash, Einstein. I never would have figured that out on my own."

He sighed, groaned really and ran his hand back through his hair, stopping mid-way, head tilted and hand holding said head up. "Believe me, I am not trying to make either of them mad. I don't even know them and yet apparently I am expected to be magical and know every single trigger that will set either of them off. Her freaking brother attacked me! THAT'S how we met." He shook his head, straightening and his gray eyes appeared trouble.

"No one likes to be told something is wrong with their family member, Lays, but...I've seen feral dragons and he's feral, no question about it. It's when a dragon taps into the very core of their instinct. They don't really...come back from that. I mean, yeah, they can be made to become more human again, retrained, but it never really leaves them. I think she's just, well, in denial."

Jay sighed, running a hand through her hair. She felt Aari's head on hers, as well as his claws on her hair. She knew he wouldn't respond, but she started talking anyway. "I just want to go home, Aari. I want to see Mother and Father. I want to be far, far away from here and anything to do with that horrible place." She felt Chris was ignorant and insensitive, but it wasn't really his fault. In fact, it was mostly Aari, and she felt bad for thinking that way. It wasn't his fault he'd been tortured and conditioned, but... he was just there. She didn't know how to help him. He wasn't feral. He was just scared and broken. Broken could be fixed.

"We'll get away from here soon. We won't have to stay forever," she said, though she was trying to reassure herself just as much as him.

"Well, y'know," Layla responded lightly, shrugging her shoulder. "I don't think they know how to accept help. They look kinda young. Did you even ask how old they were? And who knows about the crazy one." She circled the side of her head with her finger, the sign for insanity. "Maybe she'll get through to him. But, I think you should talk to her. I think she's stressed. If she's as young as I think, and I don't like to be wrong, she doesn't understand how to deal with him as much as you do. So go on. Shoo." She flipped her hand at him before picking at another plate of meat.

Chris gave the werecat a look at her gesture, but he rolled his eyes and smacked her head as he went by in an affectionate way. Stupid cat, always knowing the right thing to say even if she was a pain in the arse about it. He grumbled under his breath as he climbed the stairs, but the more he thought about it, the more he realized that Layla...was right. Of course she was, damn feline, but still...

If he had to estimate, judging about what he did know about dragons - not hybrids, just dragons - he would guess that the twins were no more than five human years. Very young in this world, day and age. And they'd been through something traumatic....didn't know anyone here....yeah, he'd been an a**, hadn't he? Chris sighed and looked at the door before him, debating for a moment before he told himself to suck it up and knocked.

Aari growled softly at her words, understanding what she was saying, but he still didn't know how to help and so he moved away slowly, going back into the room in time to hear a knock on the door. He growled, looking back at the balcony and then the door again, but in the end he went and opened it. The sight of Chris - who flinched - made him growl again, but the phoenix just gave him an exasperated expression.

"Look, I'm here to apologize. Can I come in or not?"

Aari didn't answer, merely glancing back to where his sister was. She was unhappy and he wasn't helping, didn't know how to. She....much as he hated admitting it...she needed someone to help her and he couldn't be that person. Pale blue eyes looked back into gray and Aari snarled softly, but he moved back and Chris eyed him warily but walked in. He then stared, astounded as the male hybrid left the room, looking after him with words on the tip of his tongue that he never actually uttered.

Oh, stars, please don't say he'd released a rampaging dragon on the populace... please?

He really didn't need to be so panicked because Aari had only found another balcony and he climbed his way up onto the roof. He didn't know it, but his pose mimicked his father as he held his knees, tail wrapped around him, watching the ocean. He was angry at himself, at the scientists who'd done this to him, at everyone who didn't understand...but he would stay up here until Jay felt better. He was making her sad and he didn't like that.

Jay heard the knock, and since Chris was the only one who'd been hospitable to them, outside of Layla, she figured it was him. Whatever the other female had in mind, she didn't think it would be coming to comfort her. However, Aari surprised her by leaving and opening the door. She saw the males staring at one another, the growl snapping into the air. But Chris just wanted to apologize, and Jay turned away again. She heard Aari leave, but he hadn't been roaring, which was a good sign. He wouldn't stray far from her, and he had little reason to go on any kind of killing spree.

She heard Chris come farther into the room, but she didn't look at him. "...You've come to say you're sorry? My brother isn't feral... He's just... hurt. It's not his fault. You shouldn't say things that aren't true." Lies had been everywhere in the facility. She didn't want to hear them anymore. Her arms crossed tightly over her stomach, leaning on the railing again.

Layla, being inquisitive and nosy by nature, had smelled the male dragon as she left the building. She was too curious for her own good sometimes, and that was what prompted her to leap onto the roof. She found Aari sitting in a contemplative position, but she knew better than to get too close. "What are you thinkin' about, dragon? Or do you like Aarinthor better?"

Chris resisted the urge to retort right away, cautioning himself to patience, understanding. Things that didn't come to him easily anymore and he continued to approach Jay without a word, finally coming beside her at the railing, resting his arms on the sturdy wood and sighing out slowly, trying to truly think before he said anything, not wanting to upset her again. He really had no idea why he was getting so worked up over these two siblings. He hadn't even known them a day, but somehow...ugh, it just felt like he'd known them longer in a way. Maybe that was just the closeness in kin talking.

"Yeah, I came to say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you and that wasn't my intention. I...can be an insensitive jerk...a lot." He glanced at her and resisted the urge to scoot away as he spoke again. "Look, maybe your brother isn't feral. I could be wrong, but I wasn't lying when I said he was. In my experience...he seems that way. If he's not, then that is good, but it doesn't mean I lied. I spoke what I felt was true. Though, I do admit it was a bad time to bring it up."

He turned around, and tilted his head, trying to get a better look at her beautiful face even if those hazel-green eyes were going to do nothing but glare at him. Might be worth it. "Jay, you do realize that...you and your brother can stay as long as you need to, right? I wouldn't really kick him out. I never should have said I would."

--

His head snapped up at the sound of her voice and a growl instantly came to his throat, rumbling through his chest as he tensed. Upon seeing who it was, pale blue eyes narrowed in recognition but also wariness and when she called him dragon, he glared, tail lashing in displeasure. His full name wasn't much better. No one actually called him that. He knew that...at some point the dragons had done so, but he wasn't with them anymore.

Aari looked away from her, tangled black hair catching the breeze that came in from the ocean, but the hybrid didn't relax, pale blue eyes glancing sidelong at Layla. He didn't want her here. Why was she here?

Jay would be mad at him if he roared and pushed her off the roof. Aari growled at the thought and rested his chin back on his knees, his tail still whipping back and forth near the end in agitation, uncomfortable with the nearness of the unfamiliar female. Though, her scent was interesting to him and his nose kept working, trying to figure it out.

Jay's wings snapped back against her so she wouldn't hit him with them, though she felt a need to. However, he'd said the truth and admitted to being a jerk. She could agree with that. She scowled as he said that Aari, in his experience, was labeled as feral. And Jay didn't think there was ever a good time to bring it up. She would always be angry at the word, even if Aari somehow got better over the years.

Her head lifted as he remedied an earlier comment. He wasn't really going to make them leave. "You would if Aari tried to kill anyone else," she said, her voice quiet. Finally, she managed to look up at him. "I should be thanking you, but... I just want to go home. I don't know what Aari wants. He will follow me around wherever I go, even if he doesn't like it. Everything they did to him, it made him forget a lot of things. He knows that he can trust me, and he'll kill anything that touches me. I just... I don't know how long I can hold him back. I can't take care of him forever, and that's why I want to help. He's my brother, but...." She huffed in exasperation. There was nothing to do. "My mother would know... Or Glaivetimn. They always seem to know everything."

"Easy there. Not doin' anything behind you." Layla crossed her arms, leaning against the chimney. "You don't seem to like either of those names. What did Jay call you? Aari, is that right?" Layla got no immediate response, and while she sensed the tension winding his body, she didn't care. She stretched her legs and then her arms before she spoke again. "Not much of a talker, are you?" She didn't think herself particularly pushy, and she wasn't really asking any question in such a way that he needed to answer. Sheer curiosity drove her to ask anything of him, even if she got no answer.

Damn, she was young.

It was the first thought that came into Chris' head while he listened to her, but the second was that she was certainly wiser than her years even if she didn't seem to think so - really, who could be around Glaivetimn and not gain some wisdom. Damn he missed that dragon...but perhaps he was alive? Ah, wrong topic, backtrack...

The phoenix sighed, looking down at her and he had the strangest urge to just pull her into a hug. She looked like she needed one, but he was unsure as to how she would take that. It could be really awkward...

Eh, screw awkward.

Chris moved a bit jerkily, hesitantly, but he had soon pulled Jay to him in a simple hug, trying to be careful of her wings and finding that if he held one arm around her waist and the other at her head it worked better. He didn't know how long she might stay like that, tolerate him, but damn, the girl really did need a hug. "I understand. I just want to go home, too." he whispered to her hair, hardly able to believe he'd even admitted that. Man, what was it about this girl? Perhaps he should rethink that whole destiny crap.

"I'll help get you home, Jay. You and your brother both. I promise." He sighed. "And as for your brother, I think between the three of us, 'cause believe me; Layla will help, we can keep him under control. And hey, I get it; he's your brother and you don't want to have to babysit him your whole life. It's not fair in the least. It's okay." He stroked the back of her hair, finding that he didn't really mind this all that much. Odd.

--

Aari tilted his had at the use of his name and the growl he gave her wasn't as harsh this time. Oh, it was still warning and angry and not at all inviting, but not quite so hostile...maybe. The hybrid continued to watch her, fierce pale blue eyes observing every movement she made, but unsure what to do with the information. She wasn't a threat - yet - and she wasn't saying things that angered him. She wasn't trying to approach him.

She was just...there. And talking.

Her voice didn't grate like the females' at the facility had. It was softer, deeper, accented in a way and he found himself tilting his head slightly to catch anything else she might say. He didn't offer anything in return, though, but his tail had stopped lashing so much and as long as she didn't move too quickly or approach him, Aari could be tolerant of her being near. So was his thought as the wind picked up his hair and hers and pale blue eyes finally locked with her blue-green, questioning.

Why was she up here?

Jay moved to pull away, but his arms were already around her. She didn't return the embrace right away, but she listened to him. He was going to help them, and he wasn't lying that time. Slowly, her arms wrapped around his neck, and her grip was tight, though it wasn't enough to hurt him. Her eyes threatened to spill tears again, but Chris had already seen her cry one, and dragons weren't supposed to cry.

Still, she nodded, her chin resting on his shoulder. She made sure her short horns didn't poke him in the cheek as his hand ran through her hair. It was strange to feel. Aari's claws were smooth, but Chris's hands were slightly rough and they felt normal. She found she didn't mind it, and that feeling came in the form of a purring growl. Both Jay and Aari had picked it up from Kain, always using it as a way to convey calmness or even happiness in some cases.

Layla's musing seemed to have gotten through to Aari, because for once, he actually looked at her. His eyes held an inquiry, one she could answer. "I can go wherever I like. Birdy doesn't care too much." She smirked at the nickname, but she didn't move still. Any wrong movements and Aari would be on her too fast to react. "The real question is why are you up here? Don't you like to be around your sister?"

Chris felt his heart jump into his throat when she finally returned the embrace and he resisted the urge to swallow hard, knowing she'd probably hear that. Damn, it wasn't like he hadn't had a women in his arms before! What was wrong with him? The redhead didn't let his inner uncertainty show as he continued to stroke Jay's black hair gently, callouses catching on occasion, but nothing painful.

Her purr....made him smile. He hadn't heard that sound from a dragon in a long time and never directed at him. The phoenix found he kind of liked it and he looked sidelong at the gorgeous creature in his arms, trying not to think about the fact that she was absolutely stunning and her lips looked especially inviting. Gah, Christopher, get a hold of yourself! You've known her for a few hours! Damn, now he knew what instant attraction felt like. Good thing he also knew how to control himself.

"So, beautiful, do you happen to know where you are from? Perhaps tell me your parents' names? I'm willing to help you, but I can't work from nothing." He didn't move away from her, fingers continuing to sooth. Right. Focus. Young dragon just wants to go home with her brother. That's all you have to - get to - do so just keep your mind on that.

--

Aari growled softly at her answer, something almost like approval in the sound for her nickname of Chris. Birdy. He could appreciate that as he didn't much like the phoenix anyway. He looked at Jay too much and while the hybrid wasn't sure why he did it, he didn't like it, feeling protective of his only sibling. He knew he couldn't stop Jay from being around other people, but...he didn't like it. He still feared her being taken from him again.

He looked away at Layla's question. He didn't know how to answer that. It wasn't a yes or no question. She wouldn't understand his snarl or growls or whines - or at least he didn't think she would - as Jay barely understood them and she knew him. If he was going to answer, speech would be required and Aari recoiled at the thought, a soft keening sound in his throat, his mind not thinking about such a thing logically. All he remembered was that speaking brought pain and speaking had never stopped the pain.

So he didn't answer, rising with a fluid, wild grace, tail snapping the air as he moved away from the female who wouldn't stop questioning in ways he could not answer. Maybe if he moved away, she'd leave him alone.

Jay's eyes were closed when he looked at her, but she felt his muscles shift under his skin. She pulled away after he spoke, looking down at the ground, thinking. "My... my mother is Jami... and... my father... he's Maulkainthur...." Didn't they have last names? Why didn't she know? As far as she and Aari were concerned, they didn't really need last names. She was Jay and he was Aari, simple as that. As for where they lived, she knew that. "We live on an island... Castle Rock." She didn't know the state, but she knew they were definitely in the wrong country.

"We're so far... but I think... I think our parents are looking for us... Those people," she spat the word, "moved us twice. My parents must have gotten too close, and they wanted to keep us there. I wish they hadn't... Aari wouldn't be so hurt and tortured." She turned, hands latching onto the wood railing and making it creak with the pressure she was gripping it with. If they hadn't been moved, she wouldn't have met Chris, but she didn't know if that was better or worse.

Layla took only one step forward, putting the same distance between them. "I guess you're up here since you want to be alone, eh? I guess I can respect that." She sat down on the point of the roof, scratching a nail into the shingles. She didn't follow him. She didn't want to agitate him. She knew when to back off, to make a sound retreat. "Talking isn't so bad though. But, I get why you don't, I suppose."

Well, the names weren't helpful. Wait. Maulkainthur?!

Chris stared at the female hybrid before him, letting her go as he didn't want to be snapped at, but he saw her in a different light now. Maulkainthur's daugther. Maulkainthur's children. Oh good stars, what HAD he gotten into? The Dragon of Death...with children and a mate.... The phoenix found it hard to wrap his mind around that and he stopped trying, coming back to the conversation at hand. Castle Rock? THAT he could work with, though, if their parents were already following Jay and Aari like Jay thought they were...it might be a simple matter of discreetly spreading the word through the Mythie community to be on the look out for two rampaging parents.

Should be easy enough to find. He'd get on that first thing tomorrow. In the meantime...

The redhead's gray eyes flickered to Jay's hands, but he didn't touch them, didn't touch her, putting his own hands in his pockets to resist the temptation. She'd pulled away and he'd respect that, but his voice was quiet, trying to be reassuring...admittedly not one of his strong points. "Jay, what happened to your brother...it wasn't right, but it can't be undone and...I think he's got a real good chance with you as his sister. You seem pretty determined and that's admirable. It'll be all right."

--

Aari stopped only a short distance away when she sat, showing him that she wasn't going to approach. He'd been keen on leaving, but...her voice kept him from doing so once more. She didn't say anything important, didn't even really look at him, but she fascinated him all the same. Perhaps it was because she DIDN'T act like everyone else; staring, making comments, speaking as if he wasn't there.

He wasn't stupid. The scientists had started to make the mistake of believing that just because he was silent and wild that he couldn't think. So while he didn't like not being able to adequately answer Layla's questions, he also was held within her vicinity because she DID ask. Her last words especially made him interested and his head tilted as he crept a bit closer again, crouched on the balls of his feet and the clawed fingers of one hand, the other resting on his knee as he looked out at her from behind tangled black hair, faint curiosity stirring in his eyes.

It was the first he'd shown in awhile and when he growled, it held a sort of crooning note, questioning once more. How did she understand?

Somehow, Chris's words did little for her. Despair was riddled on her face, despite her best efforts to hide it. Her wings fell slightly, her eyes closing. "I don't know," she said, and her words were quiet. She released the railing, looking down at her handiwork. She didn't know how to feel about anything, but she didn't want to tell Chris that. She'd already hugged him once, and she didn't want to do it again. Touch was bad because she was dangerous... At least, that's what Dr. Naris told her. Was that a lie? She didn't know.

"...Good night, Chris," she said, voice soft. She didn't tell Aari she was going to bed, but after her small meal and the talking, she was tired. Without waiting for an answer, she walked onto the balcony and shut the door. Chris could find another way to get back inside.

"Oh, now you're gettin' close," she teased, rolling her eyes. She looked over at him, seeing the soft beginnings of curiousness in his eyes. He was interested in her because she was different. "I know lots of stuff, Aari, and that's why I think I know why you don't like talking as much." She paused, counting off with her fingers. "Mute's outta the question since you growl all the time, but... Someone made you think talking was bad, which happens, or you just don't like to do it, even though you can. Or, maybe I'm wrong and you are mute, but I don't like to be wrong." A smug expression crossed her face before she glanced back over at him. "So what is it? One, two, or three?" she asked, holding up her fingers to signal each reason.

Well, that could have gone a lot better. Annnnd a lot worse, so he'd shut up and take it for now.

Chris looked up at the sky, resisting the urge to curse in pure frustration alone and then he made himself breathe. Why in the world was getting worked about this girl? She was young, confused, abused, had a crazy for a brother and a THE Dragon of Death for a father. Yeah....he was insane for even THINKING something could happen there and it was very clear that Jay wasn't ready or willing for anything anyway. Not even platonic comfort. So he'd leave her alone. He'd play host and not try to do anything else.

......right. That wasn't going to happen, but hey, for a minute there he'd almost believed himself! Chris snorted and grinned, moving to the railing and jumping off without any hesitation at all. He knew he was going to lose a shirt the minute the wings sprouted from his back and caught fire, but he didn't much care either as he landed in front of the house and let the flames work down over his arms and torso, reveling in the heat for a moment before he forced them to die down and his wings to shrink down and disappear back into his skin with a grimace at his own mansion.

Gah, time to make sure everyone was getting along.

--

She understood him. He didn't know how and he didn't understand why she did, but she knew what he was thinking, why he didn't do things or did...just by watching him. It was puzzling and yet alluring to the hybrid and his pale blue eyes flickered from her face to her hand before his own came up and two claws extended in answer. She was quick to learn, already showing him a new way to communicate and Aari moved just a little closer, smelling at her again, head tilting as he still didn't know what such a scent meant.

He knew it was fast becoming almost....soothing in a way, like Jay's scent was but different for some reason he couldn't explain. He no longer felt such a strong need to growl at her in warning or feel wary that she'd move suddenly and try to trick him. After a moment he stopped watching her, though, and instead rose, head tilting, looking intent as his eyes followed the figure of Chris leaping from the balcony.

That meant Jay was alone again now. Aari glanced back at Layla, but in the end the draw of the bond with his sister won over and he took a leap down to the balcony in question and let himself in, looking to the form of his twin on the bed. He moved to her, just to make sure she was alright and then moved away again to his own bed, taking his cue from her and curling on the mattress. He didn't sleep, but he didn't stay quiet and he guarded Jay while she rested.

Jay saw a bright light from the dark, and it made her turn. She was just in time to see Chris leap from the balcony, a pair of flaming and brilliant wings sprouting from his back. She had never seen a phoenix, and there was never a time when she'd seen fire so beautiful. She'd seen her father breathe fire before, but it was harsh and made for killing. The fire spilling from his wings wasn't like that. She could imagine the warmth filling the air, or the way the flames might not harm her if she touched them, even if she was a dragon.

Maybe she shouldn't have been so cold to him. After all, he was helping them when he didn't have to. The fire filled her thoughts and calmed her as she changed into a better set of loose pants to wear to bed. Her wings hung off the side as she curled up, burying herself in the blankets. She heard Aari come in, but she didn't speak. She only tried to sleep, hoping her mother and father would find them soon.

"So you don't like to talk, even though you can, eh? Ah, we'll fix that. Talkin' isn't bad. Who knows, maybe you have great talking skills," she said, sort of rambling on the subject. That changed when Aari practically flew down from the roof to go back to his sister. She couldn't really fault him. Jay was the only thing he could trust, something that was constant in his tortured state. Layla slid off the balcony and padded inside to find Chris.

"I'm leavin'," she announced to no one in particular. "Well, not forever. I can't leave my favorite Birdy, now, can I?" She smirked and pinched his cheek like he was a baby. "I'll be back tomorrow. You be nice to that dragon girl, you hear? If I come back and I hear you've been mean again, I'll claw you." With that, she left, off to do whatever it was Layla did.

~

A month passed far quicker outside than it did in the facility. Jay found herself being able to loosen up and relax, though every night, she wished for her parents to come find them. She tried to talk to Chris more often, but she mostly hid from him. She knew so little about the world, and compared to him and Layla, she knew nothing. She made herself scarce on some days, and she opened up on others. However, she didn't cry again. Chris had seen that already, and she wasn't keen on showing him again.

On the days she didn't try to see him, she tried to draw. Her fingers were desperate to recreate the fire she'd seen on him that single night, as she hadn't caught another glimpse of it since then. Her claws didn't obscure the way she held a pencil, and she was always on the hunt for paper. Numerous times, she drew something wrong, growling and chucking the paper across the room.

On that day, she was laying on her stomach, wings flat on the wood, one leg popped into the air in concentration. She was finally getting part of the fire right, and it made her smile. She heard a noise on the roof and looked up, figuring it was Layla. The girl came over every day during the afternoon, whether it was to bug Chris or make attempts to talk to Aari. Her brother hadn't killed her, which was a good sign. Maybe he was warming up to her.

Layla was in fact on the roof, balancing herself on the thin point. She had exceptional balance, but it came with being a werecat. She did fall from time to time, but as a human, she had no tail to balance her. Still, she tried, holding strange and bendy yoga positions in a quiet place, and the more Mythies Chris had around, the louder his house became.

Chris found Jayveleme confusing as all hell. She was friendly one day and then he didn't see hide nor tail of her the next. She seemed to WANT to reach out to him and then just as suddenly she was shoving him away, practically growling and bristling for him to leave her alone. She was a mass of contradictions and he always wanted to tell her the next time she came around to not bother, to shrug her off and walk away, giving her a taste of the confusion she gave him....but he found he couldn't do it and by the time their talks and activities were over, he was happy...happier than he'd been in a long time.

And then crushed the next day or three days from then when she retreated again. The worst part was that she didn't even seem to realize how much her disappearances actually bothered him. She was young and naive and the more he found out about what her life had been like on the island, with only her family around her, the more he understood that she knew absolutely nothing about the world. She only knew that the only time she'd been away from all she loved, all she was familiar with, she'd been hurt.

So when she finally came to him again, when she was ready to interact, her taught her what he knew. He showed her maps and books, he told her stories and helped her experience new things whenever she was willing to trust him enough to do so. He tried to show her that the world wasn't all bad. And Chris found himself watching her reactions, wanting more than anything to see her eyes light up in wonder, to see her smile.

He was completely smitten and he knew it - Layla did remind him every time she saw him, how sweet of her - even if he didn't want to really admit it to himself out loud. So it was that when his cell phone rang and he answered it, hearing one of his contacts on the other end, Chris felt a moment of trepidation, the irrational urge to end the call as if that would somehow hold off everything that was suddenly about to change.

"Chris, hey, you know those parents you told us to keep watch for?"

"...yeah."

"Well, we found 'em and sorry, buddy, but they're on their way over. I wasn't about to tell 'em no. I think they would have gutted me."

Chris closed his eyes. "No, no, that's fine, Johnny. Thanks for your help."

"Anytime. Good luck." The line went dead and the phoenix clicked his phone off with a slow movement, looking out the window at the driveway where he knew Kain and Jami would be arriving soon. Would they take Jay and Aari away immediately? He...hoped not. Damn, even Aari was growing on him despite the fact that the hybrid did nothing but give him threatening looks and growl at him when they interacted, but hey, he'd not tried to attack him again and Aari seemed to accept that he could leave his sister with the redhead. That was progress!

That might very well mean nothing.

Chris sighed and stood from the couch, heading up the stairs. He knew what he had to do and damn, he hated doing the right thing, but as he knocked on Jay's door, he knew that he couldn't do the wrong thing. Not with this one.

--

Aari's time passed much the same way each day and despite the fact that he was a wild creature who desired to roam and hunt and kill...the facility had taught him routine and he almost felt better having it, no matter how boring it was. Not that being with Layla was boring, not by far. He found himself listening for when she came on the roof - a place that almost seemed to be theirs now - and he found himself as the days passed, leaving Jay even if she was in the room to go up and see the werecat.

He didn't speak, but somehow they communicated and it was a time Aari looked forward to. It was strange, wanting something, someone other than his sister, but while it confused the hybrid, he was coming to accept it and the days that she came late or visited Chris first, he found himself worried about where she was, bristling when she interacted with other males. He always wanted to snarl at them and make them leave, but he knew Jay wouldn't have liked that and so he just dug deep gauges into the roof or railing instead and seethed with anger.

Only, it wasn't anger, but...something like it. He just didn't have a name for it.

Layla would come back, though, and he'd calm. There were times he even found himself purring faintly as she talked and he listened with rapt attention to everything she said. She wasn't allowed to touch him, some distance always between them, but it was closer now and he was as relaxed as he could be when they were together. She was becoming someone he felt he could trust, someone he wanted around and even now Aari was moving up the roof, head tilting as he watched the werecat bend this way and that. She seemed so at peace, something that was completely foreign to him now and Aari was envious of that. He was starting to feel more human-like emotions...he just didn't know how to deal with them.

The envy didn't last long as curiosity took its place. He didn't know what she was doing, but he also didn't know if she knew he was there. He thought she did, but she'd not acknowledged him and Aari found his mouth opening without much thought and for the first time in months, his tongue and lips formed a word, a deep, growling word.

"Layla."

Status
Not open for further replies.