EquinoxSol x Dedtoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing the worry in Zar'Le's voice, Evelyn nodded at his question. "Yes. Bonding with a life tree is much different from bonding through marriage. If bonding with a life tree was bigger than love, no one would get anywhere." She smiles reassuringly, not wanting him to worry. Eating in silence for a few minutes, she unconsciously reaches up to brush her hair behind her ear, focusing on eating for now.

She was curious about where the lizardkin lived. Zar'Le had said that they lived upon trees, building their homes there. Having lived upon the ground, at camp, her whole life, only going up in trees when she was avoiding something, and the thought of living atop trees was both scary and interesting for her.

"How does one build a house on a tree?" she asks, curiosity filling her voice.

Zar'Le had just taken another spoonful as she asked her question. He made a small gesture before he swallowed, then started explaining. "It's rather simple, actually. Well, most of the time anyway." He shrugged slightly. "We mostly build the main parts of the houses on the big branches, as they're big enough to support the weight of the houses. And if we feel that an extra room or two could be useful, we hang them under the main building, with ladders down to them. Though, that's just storerooms and the like. Bedrooms and such are firmly attached to the sides of the tree, with bridges going up or down to them." He took a quick pause to take a sip of water.
"And there you go. A house on a tree. Then we make bridges and walkways between the branches, or sometimes we even hang smaller buildings between the larger ones. Market stalls and the like. Of course, it's all made easier due to our mounts, as you've seen. Out spiders can climb up and down the trees with little effort, and then all we need to do is strap ourselves and whatever we're bringing along firmly on their backs." He smiled slightly with pride, looking away slightly.

Evelyn listened politely as Zar'Le spoke to her, explaining how they lived in the trees so high up. It was very interesting, to say the least. Thinking on this, she finished the meal in silence, and then waited for him to give any indication that he was finished. Standing up when he did, she said, "Our fathers are probably finished too and waiting for us. We should get back..." Smiling softly, she gestures to the table, "Somebody is supposed to pick it up after the contract is signed." Her thoughts returning to the marriage, all of Evelyn's former fears and insecurities came back.

Gesturing to him again, Evelyn led him back to the camp. She was silent as they walked, pondering what would happen should she suddenly camouflage into the foliage and run away from everything. She wouldn't get far, her family could sense her presence and location until she bonded with her life tree, but it was a nice thought. When they made it back to the camp, their fathers were both standing in front of her house, talking.

As they approached, she could hear hers. "I think my little Evie likes your boy! I'm certain that their marriage will be great for both of our families," he exclaimed with a smile.

Zar'Le picked up Azyandra and followed Evelyn through the forest again, hoping what he had said hadn't frightened her by telling her of his home. Yet he tried to push it out of his head as they walked, especially since they were getting close to the main camp again.

"Yes, they seem to go well together, don't they?" Ahri replied. "I can imagine that it'll be one of the most beautiful moments in my life when the ceremony comes." He got a rather dreamy look on his face, thinking back to his own wedding.
"Anyway, we agree on the contract then, do we not?" He added after a few moments.

"Of course!" Jas exclaims, smiling broadly. Catching sight of Evelyn and Zar'Le, he gestures to them, beckoning to him. As the two approach, her father asks, "How was lunch, my dear?"

"Lovely," was all Evelyn gave in answer, forcing a smile that didn't reach her eyes. As Jas turns to Ahri, he says, "Come, come, we can sign the contract in the tent by the road."

He leads them back to the tent, noticing Evelyn's silence and wondering what could have happened in the time she was alone with Zar'Le. Once back at the tent, he seemed to make another once-over on the contract before dipping a quill in a inkpot and drawing out ink. on the left side, at the bottom of the paper, were two lines, one for Jas and one for Evelyn's signatures, while the same was on the right side for Zar'Le and his father. Seeming to hesitate for a fraction of a moment, he soon wrote, in long, looping cursive letters his name, before handing the quill to Ahri, a smile upon his face.

Ahri noticed that Jas read the contract one more time before he signed, yet he thought little of it. He read it once more himself, just to make sure it was all as agreed, before he took the quill. He wrote his name, in a rather clumsy manner. He could write in the common language, yet he had never gotten very good at it. Once he finished, he took a moment to make sure his name was readable, before handing the quill on to Evelyn.

Biting her lip as she took the quill, Evelyn scanned the agreement, though it was mostly just for show, as she had seen her father and Ahri do it as well. Feeling like she was signing away her life as she did so, she hesitantly wrote her name, her handwriting sharp and staggering . Sighing as she finished, her hand shaking, she handed the quill to Zar'Le, not looking him in the eye, her heart pounding in her chest.

Zar'Le took the quill, smiling at her as he took it. He was slightly disappointed that she didn't look him in the eyes as she did, yet he kept his smile. He didn't read through the contract, trusting his father not to do something stupid. He did however look at her signature for a few moments, before dipping the quill again. He paused for a small moment, before he scribbled down his name, like his father, not in the most beautiful of handwritings.
He put the quill down, looking at the document, basically meaning the marriage was now going to happen. There werent going to be any more discussion about the contract or anything like that. It was going to happen. He had an odd feeling in his chest, but he figured it was just the realization of it all.

Evelyn, seeing that the document had now been made official by Zar'Le's signature, had to clench her hands into fists, her nails digging into the skin of her palm, to keep from crying or shouting or running away. Hating the sound the quill made as it was set upon the table, feeling that it was too final, she did nothing more as her father, elated, placed an arm around her shoulder, saying, "My little Evie is growing up," getting a little misty-eyed. "Getting married..." He trails off, a soft smile upon his face.

Pushing herself away from Jas, she struggled to keep her breathing regular. Her mother, sensing the mood, placed a hand upon her elbow, moving her along as Jas left the tent. If she hadn't, Evelyn thought, surely I wouldn't have moved at all.

Zar'Le looked towards his wife-to-be for a moment after he put down the quill, noticing that she seemed rather... tense. He couldn't help but to keep looking, until he was snapped out of it, as his father put a hand on his shoulder and almost started leading him outside. "Ah, my son. Now its final. You will have your wife, a beauty that will do us well!" Ahri spoke in his native language, which sounded like series of hisses and growls to most other races. "You might not love her yet, but you know what they say: First comes marriage, later comes love."

"I suppose that would be everything then?" Ahri asked Jas as they walked outside. "Unless there was something else, or if you wish for us to stay longer, we should probably get going, should we not?" He looked towards the girl for a moment, smiling. "I assume she has packed a few chests of clothes or some such?" He turned towards the large spider and its rider, giving him a shout to come help with the luggage. "Thzan here will make sure to get it loaded and secured, while you say your goodbyes."

Evelyn nodded, gesturing to a medium-sized chest in the back of the tent. It did have clothes in it, but for the most part it was filled with drawings she had made and what remained of her dwindling stash of charcoal. Turning to her family, she could only keep her composure for half a second before she was sobbing openly. Jas wasted no time in embracing her, telling her that it would be fine. "It'll be only for a couple of weeks, Evelyn, before you see us again. I promise that nothing would change until then.

It took a few minutes for Evelyn to calm down. Ignoring her mother altogether, she says, "Goodbye...I'll miss you, Father." She doesn't say any more, worried it might be the wrong words to say and not wanting to begin crying again.

Ahri gently put his hand on Evelyn's shoulder. "Do not worry. It is usual to be emotional when one leaves one's family. But you leave one family, only to get a new one. I know it's hard, but I truly hope you'll accept us." He paused slightly, looking towards Jas for a moment. "And if you miss them too much, I'm sure we can arrange for a visit back here. Now, lets get going, shall we?" He asked with a smile.

Zar'Le couldn't help but to feel with his wife-to-be. He himself had barely ever left his home city, so he didn't really know her pain. Yet he hoped it was just something of the moment, not something because she was to live with them.

Thzan walked over to the chest and picked it up in silence, before carrying it back to the spider to strap it on with the rest of the luggage.

Evelyn nodded as Ahri told her that while she was leaving her family, she was gaining another. Turning from her family, she smiled weakly, wiping away any tears that still remained. When he suggested that they leave, she looked back to her father. "Goodbye," she said again, blinking hard to keep from crying once more. He gave her a reassuring smile, though she wondered if he was as worried as she was.

Turning back around, she says, "I...I am ready to leave," after taking a deep, calming breath.

Ahri smiled gently at her, before he turned towards her parents. "I thank you for you're hospitality, and I'm happy our discussions went so well. Now, until we meet again, I bid you farewell." He said, before he turned headed for their mount.
Zar'Le took his father, placing a hand on her shoulder and leading her to the spider. As they approached it, he stepped onto the midsection of the spider, before turning to Evelyn. "I do not know how used to riding you are, but I assure you it is safe." He said, as he helped her onto the spider's back, onto the wooden seats back there. As they sat down, he tied a silken string around his waist, and helped her do the same. "It might be a bit of a bumpy ride, but its safe, you'll see." He gave her a reassuring smile. "Take it gently in the start, would you Thzan?" He asked the rider, who gave him a nod in return. Then, the spider started moving. Away from her home, yet towards it as well.

Evelyn let herself be led by Zar'Le, occasionally looking over her shoulder to see her family, still standing there. Her father seemed happier than ever, while her mother appeared as if she was trying to keep from crying. As they got closer and closer to the giant spider, Evelyn saw how big it really was, and shivered a little. Any small spider was fine with her, but once they started getting larger than her hand, she got nervous.

Amazed at how easily Zar'Le and the other lizardkin approached the spider, getting onto it with a master's skill, she was startled when he spoke to her, and then helped her onto the spider. Barely noticing him tying the string around her waist, she found herself looking towards her family, losing herself in thoughts of the future. It was only when the spider began moving that she came back to reality, nearly having a heart attack in the process. Trembling already, Evelyn wished that they were there already, hating the sense of being above the ground.

Zar'Le grabbed onto Evelyn's shoulder to make sure she didn't fall off as their mount started moving. "Not too used to riding, are you?" He asked with a smile. "The string is to make sure you don't fall off. Though, during some of the more... Angled parts of the trip, it would be wise to hold on as well." He rubbed her shoulder slightly, before he let go.
He looked at the area around them one last time, as they reached the outskirts of the forest. "This forest... It is quite beautiful. I can understand why your people would settle here. And the food you grow here doesn't work against you either." He said, in the hopes of starting a bit of conversation.

Though her face couldn't tell you, she really was thankful that Zar'Le took ahold of her shoulder as the spider started moving, and was able to weakly nod her head at his question. Sitting in silence until they were almost outside the forest, Evelyn listened to Zar'Le for a moment before taking one last, lingering look at her home and finally forcing herself to look away.

Looking to him as he spoke to her, she forced a smile and nodded, taking a deep breath and making sure not to look down as she said, "Yes, it is very beautiful...I've never left the valley, though my father talks about times when he's had to, in order to ascertain a treaty or visit with another Nymph village. He says it is also quite beautiful there."

He couldn't help but to feel a bit of pity for her. There was quite a bit more to the world that just these forests. But then again, Zar'Le himself hadn't seen that much other than the swamps and the forests himself. "I suppose it's the first time for a lot of things then." He tried with a encouraging smile. "First time for us to meet. First time I met a Nymph. Probably first time you met a Lizardkin. First time you leave home. And I suppose we'll find out if we like the new things or not." He paused for a moment. "But I'm almost sure you'll like the swamps. They're a lot like the forests, except that they're wetter and the trees are larger." As he was talking, his tail started rubbing against Evelyn's ankle. As soon as he understood it had happened, he pulled it away, hoping she didn't notice.

Evelyn found it easier to smile this time, as Zar'Le told her about the swamps where he lived. It was true, though, she hadn't seen a lizardkin before today, though her father had told her of them. A light dusting of blush coming to her cheeks as she felt something moving against her ankle, she looks down only to see Zar'Le's tail darting away. Looking away, she decided not to mention it, in case it was something from his culture and would take offense should she question it.

Speaking up, she said, "I am excited to leave the valley, a change of scenery would be lovely, and the swamp you live in sounds beautiful."

"Oh believe me, the swamps are beautiful. At least, if you stay away from certain places. Like the spider dens. But most of it is truly beautiful. And I'm sure you'll find it a place to call home. Well, I hope so, at least." He said, looking down slightly, only to notice his tail again brushing against her. He quickly pulled it away again and placed his foot on top of it, to make sure it didn't misbehave again. He tried to act like it never happened, and spoke on. "Now, I don't suppose you've got any questions about them? The swamps I mean."

Status
Not open for further replies.