Dungeon World: The Sacred Serpent

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Who are you?" Zara's confusion and astonishment were soon growing into feelings of danger and a nugget of panic was starting to form.

"St-stop it!"

Reactions: Nightcrawler
Zara

Screaming from all her core for this nonsense to stop, Zara's body exploded into an infinitude of bright stars, that looked like grains of sand. Then, everything went black, and she immediately woke up, in a sombre room, surrounded by refined stone walls. Besides her, was a little round table, with a shinning candle resting. Zara could finally move! However, she quickly sensed that her hands and feet were locked to the wooden chair she was sitting on... "Ah... why couldn't you simply follow my directives Zara! You will now have no choice... but to stay in here..." In front of her just down the hallway, she could see a door... but that was it. Zara what do you do?

Ok then. I'll collect the weapons. Kroggar said and did so, but helped them conceal little daggers, just to be sure nothing would happen.
So he came back to the innkeeper. Let's go, then

Arash made his way down town. Admittedly, it was some insignificant backwater outpost so there really wasn't much 'town' to make his way down, but he did in fact make his way down town. The rabble out here could do as they wished, but even their nightlife didn't hold a candle to that of a proper, imperial city's. He ducked between rooftops, intent on finding himself at the place where the most important people would gather. No he didn't mean city hall or some bureaucratic nightmare like that; he meant the tavern.

But before he could do that, there was a problem to deal with, namely the unattended children of the rustic masses of this backwoods locale. Wordlessly, Arash eyed the youngster eyeing him. And not because he felt the need to assert his dominance against a mere horde of children. No, he'd heard tales of criminals utilizing children in their dastardly schemes. He would have to be wise, unlike the man who informed him of this youthful scourge upon the imperial populace.

So he simply observed the situation.

"Tai Ang, I seek Your guidance."

Despite her situation growing more alarming, Zara was unsure whether she was still under some kind of mind control or illusion. Since she was able to even consider this possibility, Zara was starting to think this situation was real. There was no uneasy feeling now, only a solid feeling of a challenge. As she sought her deity's Divine Guidance, Zara maintained calm and tried to listen for His wisdom.

Kroggar

M. Sherwin waited patiently for the dwarves to pack up their traveling equipment, which consisted of a multitude of rations, including cheese, beer, dried bread and meat. Surprised by the amount of goods they were carrying, M. Sherwin made sign to one of his tall colleges to help the dwarves relocate their equipment. "Might as well bring all your stuff and leave more space for everyone to enjoy their night!", said the owner with an unease smile. Scratching his head as he paid attention to the dwarven relatives, he wondered how they managed to carry so much stuff, including their weaponry!

He made sign to the little men to follow him in his personal office, which had graceful oil paintings on the walls, with astonishing tapestry near the elongated windows. A rug was resting on the floor, a masterpiece created by Eirem Revesiel, one of the most skilled elven artist of the century. It was given to him as a present, a sign of their long lasted friendship. M. Sherwin was always honoured to talk about his dear friend...

As the dwarves finished unpacking, they all went back to their respective table where they kept ordering drinks. The owner politely showed Kroggar's chair to sit in, doing the same. As he sat, M. Sherwin unloaded a pack of heavy halfling smokers, which he offered one to his dwarven client. With a serious look on his aged face, the owner looked once more at the dwarf's beard and got lost again in his thoughts. But not for long... as he chocked on some heavy smoke of his, he asked. "Listen Kroggar, I'm just an average human who tries to live the best he can..." as he puts down his halfling smoker for a moment he continues. "However... you can't take me for a fool, I obviously know you aren't a simple Diplomat." Taking back his smoker in hand, he took a big puff and as he exhaled, a thick cloud of smoke flew up towards the ceiling. He tapped the smoker with his index and said. "It is clear to me that, with the amount of armament you have, you're here to do business. A special kind of business. Are you here in my inn for something in particular, or are you simply of passage?..." M. Sherwin took a large sip of his wine that he didn't yet share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kroggar accepted the Smoke since he did smoke from time to time with his tselitsel friends, but he did so in a pipe. This halfling method was interesting, and so he wanted to try at least once.
A, Mister Sherwyn. I came to be in the position that i am due to my skills. All of them. Kroggar said with a clever smile. But let me tell you that i can tell that, with the prosperity of your fine stablishment and the masterpieces i've seen here, not even mentioning this exquisite ale of yours, i can tell you're no regular human at all. Replied Kroggar puffing his Smoke. But yeah, you're very cunning, my friend. Do you know what is a Tai Ang?

Arash

Spout Lore
When you consult your accumulated knowledge about something, roll+Int. On a 10+ the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation. On a 7–9 the GM will only tell you something interesting—it's on you to make it useful. The GM might ask you "How do you know this?" Tell them the truth, now.

Result: 4 (+1 XP)

The first child insight, with the ripped leather shoes, rose up with a smile and slowly waved. Doing so, he said loudly: "Mister!... Would you have any spare food for us to eat? We are starving and nobody wants to help us!" The little kid looked up at the young man, unsmiling once again. With his serious tone, he made sign to the others to show up. Suddenly, three more frail little bodies came out of the shadows and looked quite shy. All of them looked crummy and empty handed. Melancholy took it's place, as the little fellows looked at Arash with a spark of hope. The tales Arash heard were perhaps only tales, maybe those children were not criminals after all, perhaps simply the result of misfortune...

Zara

Divine Guidance
When you petition your deity according to the precept of your religion, you are granted some useful knowledge or boon related to your deity's domain. The GM will tell you what.

Percept of Tai Ang: Suffering through the process

Firmly attached on the wooden chair, Zara took a moment to focus on her love and faith for Tai Ang... As she closed her eyes and relaxed, her body temperature increased quickly and soon enough, she started sweeting form all her pores. The room was still empty and retained. Dark was the hallway in front of her and smoke swiftly emerged from the closed door a few meters away. As the smoke reached her, a shield formed itself all around her, protecting her from any threat.​
Defy Danger (Percept of Tai Ang)
When you act despite an imminent threat or suffer a calamity, say how you deal with it and roll. If you do it...by enduring, +Con
Result: 10, you do what you set out to, the threat doesn't come to bear.

Suddenly... She started feeling slightly disoriented, as a cold sensation ran down through her spine and reached the point of her fingertips. The smoke seemed to be conscious, as the room and everything else. With her eyes closed, she could easily sense her vicinity. The warm shield of energy burned the restraining rope that kept her stuck on the chair. On her side, she could see a bright pulsation, focusing on it, she sensed an imperfection in the dream state... was it her way out?

The mysterious woman rose up, rearranged her long dark cloak and marched forward the exit door.
As she walked by the loud noisy dwarves, she kept her eyes closed, as she tried to focus on her enchantment. Not knowing how well this would end, she felt like she was losing control. Quickly, bursted out the inn's door and as she bumped in a random gentleman, apologized and walked away.

With her enchantment, she physically locked you in her dream world.
Zara is not physically present, the woman carries her in her energy field.

Kroggar

The sudden question of the dwarf surprised M. Sherwin as he took a moment to sip on his wine. "A Tai Ang you say...? I've encountered a couple of followers in my inn before, why do you ask? The owner stood up and served himself an other fine cup of his delicacy.

Ah, you know, then. Well, they are being chased and hunted down, it's followers. I'm looking for them because they can enlighten me about some of the most important things in the realm of UnderMountain. I need to find them, protect them and take them back to UnderMountain before their chasers can get a hold of them. That was his frank talk, and he spected the simple and good man would see the truth in his words.

Kroggar

Listening to Kroggar's disclosure, eyes wide open, M.Sherwin seemed to be quite interested by the conversation. Reaching over to grab the pinion of a goose, he started inking down Kroggar's information. "I've heard about the bloodshed that happened between the Faithfuls and Unfaithfuls. It is unfortunate that such outcome had to happen... I actually know someone who is a Faithful. I've argued with her many times to not wear her headpiece in public but she really seemed to insist. Her faith is everything to her and if she can express it in any way... she will. She is stubborn in that way... but I love her and consider her as one of my children. She is a grown adult, and I will report to her your message and will let you know if she desires to get help from you, Kroggar."

You have in fact a Faithful here? Although Kroggar was terribly impressed and curious, not to say surprised, he said his line as if he had always known that, as if it was a perfectly calculated move to have gone there.
It wasn't but ¿why should he know, right?
Can't she accompany us tonight? Maybe we could chat and discuss what she wants. I suppose that we, a kingdom with a military and so far away from her pursuers would be more able and better suited for protecting her. No insult intended, just pointing oout the truth.

Kroggar

Getting up, the owner took the last sip of his exquisite wine and smirked at Kroggar as he placed it back on the table.
"Well, not quite exactly... as I said, she is an adult and has her own life. She will have to make her own choices by herself."
"Furthermore, I can't reveal any of her information for you since, even myself don't know if you are one of those so called Chasers..."

As he took more of a serious tone, he affirmed.
"When I will have the chance to meet her, I will speak with her personally and she will follow her own intuition... her faith will guide her."
"If it isn't with you, it will be somewhere else!"

Standing straightly and fixing his red bow tie, the owner looked like he was done with the talking. With assurance, M. Sherwin opened his little wooden chest, decorated with jewels and silvery edges. As he opened it and reached for parchment paper, he placed his pinion next to Kroggar.
"Like we've discussed, for the trouble you've caused in my establishment, you will have to sign an agreement and also pay for the compensation.

When she is ready, then, i'll be here. As for the payments, you'll ask the burglar for a payment for the storing of our weapons. I'm the one offended here after he tried to robb me. You have your assurance with my weapons, they are quite dear to me, and let us not talk further of this matter, please, it's annoying and settled. Kroggar said with an annoyed tone. If he was as intelligent as it seemed, he would know that Kroggar didn't had trouble with rising a fuss and annoying all the patrons, and he wasn't up for that.

The ever subtle rift pulsed weakly. Zara reached out hesitantly and pushed against it. Her hand sank through and a strange tingling sensation rushed up her arm. As she slowly eased through the growing weak point, Zara saw the ground shaking. In actuality, it was Zara that was shaking. Halfway between the strange dream world she was whisked away to and reality as she knew it, Zara twisted and struggled to pull the rest of herself out. The strange patron that started this madness was currently connected to Zara, and connected in the literal sense in that Zara was sticking out of some magical portal located on that stranger's body. They did not seem to notice Zara yet due to the angle she was protruding from, which was to the left and slightly behind. The angle was optimal and Zara swung her tight fist towards the kidnapper's left temple from behind.

Kroggar

After signing the agreement, the dwarf dropped a little pouch of coins and asserted his thoughts and opinions about the situation. M. Sherwin listened to what he had to say calmly and replied. "On such statement, I have to agree with you. I will try to get in touch with the customer who tried to rob you and make sure he won't do it again, an agreement should come to close with him as well. Now this settled, we can move forward with positiveness to finish this night!" As he got up, the owner made a hand gesture to the dwarf to follow him to the Inn's main room, where everyone was drinking, singing and dancing!

This matter settled, Kroggar followed Mister Sherwin

Arash gave the smiling child a good, hard look. It was not a discerning look, nor a scolding 'I'm-not-angry-I'm-disappointed' look. Just a regular look. Like the kind of odd look you'd give to something you couldn't quite understand, but weren't trying to understand anyway.

Starving children were inconvenient; they could not contribute to the economy. If that fact was to become relevant would remain to be seen. At the same time, these starving children did not look to be of the same breed of starving children as his compatriot had spoken of long ago. And if they were, that would be no problem.

He could probably beat a child in a fight.

He could probably beat four children in a fight.

But he did not want to beat children in a fight.

...Not that he wanted to lose to children in a fight; no, he just didn't want to fight a swarm of children in general. There were a lot of reasons for this not-so surprising development. First off, beating children in a fight was neither a challenge nor was it very aesthetically pleasing. Secondly, it would waste his time and energy. Thirdly and most importantly, it would be what the guys at the merc company called "a dick move, dude," and the act of doing such a move would mark him as "a total asshole" among most circles.

Arash did not want to become "a total asshole". He did not want to become an asshole of any level.

Therefore, he would acquiesce to the wishes of these impoverished prepubescents.

"...Sure..."

He looked around. The fighter's equivalent of awkwardly shifting his weight from foot to foot.

"...First I need to figure out how to do that..."

He had dungeons rations, but those were hardly fit for feeding to starving children. They weren't even in a dungeon, and it tasted like gruel anyway. Not that these kids would know any better, but goddammit if he was going to do something, he would do it right.

He looked at the tavern sign.

"...Ah. I've got an idea."

And then Arash was in the tavern.

It was loud and bright, like a tavern ought to be at night (although maybe not this late at night...). Indeed, he could now properly conclude that this was in fact a normal tavern, and not - like that one time he followed those mercs when he was 16 - a building that could referred to as a tavern but was actually an establishment where women of loose morals would drop their knickers for a coin or two.

...That night was an awkward walk back to the inn.

But nonetheless, he was not here for merrymaking, no.

He was here to get dinner for five.

But before he could do that, he had to find somewhere to seat a bunch of dirty youngster, and someone to talk to about arranging food.

Zara
As her whole body started glowing, a luminous emanation manifested itself from the woman's body and a strong energy pulse followed which resonated into the vicinity. In a blink of an eye, Zara was now laying on the ground and disconcerted. As she tried to recollect her mind, Zara could recognize the locale and felt somewhat reassured. Sitting on the cobblestone and looking up, were the tall trees she used to always walk by and on her left, was the bakery which was made of fine purple coloured bricks, just as she remembered. Zara didn't seem to be bruised or cut and as she recollected herself fully, recognized the lady who was standing in front of her, it was the same woman she served in the Inn. She had a identical dark cloak following her back's curvature and her leather hood kept her facial features hidden in the sombre night. Before Zara had time to inspect her with clarity, the lady reached out Zara's hand and with worry in her voice, said... "Zara, how are you feeling? Are you alright?"
You can always
Discern Realities or Spout Lore to see if yo know anything about her.

Kroggar
As you followed M. Sherwin, you had the opportunity to visit the Inn's accommodations and other private sections. After the long talk, the owner had to reassure himself and verify that there wasn't any complications left to deal with for the night. Passing by the bar, Kroggar saw the barman's juggling skills closely as he poured beer into a large glass pitcher. With a serious stare the barman shouted "Where you think you're going without this pitcher? Bring that to your dwarven friends!". With a broad smile, the barman pushed the pitcher in Kroggar's chest. "HOLD THAT! It's myyy pleasure!". M. Sherwin couldn't stop laughing in return and as both kept walking towards the dwarven folk, a huge wave of energy was felt by everyone! Please make a Defy Danger with dexterity to see if you can keep your balance!

Arash
As Arash walked into the Inn, a vivid odour of spirit, beer and smoke stormed his nostrils. Looking up to the ceiling, a mist of smoke was now residing, compiled after hours of celebration. Only the candles' light of the chandeliers could be barely seen up there. You tried to walk forward, but had to stop as you felt broken glass under your feet. "I apologize mister, I will clear that right now for you. Someone will help you find a place if you want to sit" said the server. As the man swop the wooden floor in front of his feet, Arash could see in front of him a dancing mob that was emitting a lot of heat and a company of dwarves standing on long wooden tables, belly bumping and drinking their live's out. He didn't have to wait for long before someone came to assist him. "Welcome to The Eyeless Owl Inn Sir! How may I serve you tonight?" The lady had curly brown hair, hazelnut eyes and a lovely flowery dress. On her neck, she wore the Inn's red scarf, which everyone who was working there had. As she approached him, Arash felt the same wave of energy destabilizing him. Please make a Defy Danger with dexterity to see if you can keep your balance!

Status
Not open for further replies.