Dresden Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fine with writing, so I guess I don't mind. As fir the settings, I don't live in America, so I'm not too sure 'bout that. Still, I know a few States abd whereabouts they are.

Oh, my bad! Terrible habit of pre-Capernicus-ness. Are there any you're more comfortable with, or is anyone interested in doing outside the US? If we're going abroad, I'd rather it be a country no one's seriously familiar with, just so we can all eff up the local laws equally, lol (I'd still look into it, of course).

@daird: I like your suggestions - Philly has a lot of history and New York is pretty recognizable, too. Mind sharing with the class why you prefer pre-Changes (and how far that might mean for you)?

I prefer pre-Changes as well for the reason below.

We'd still have the Red Court to contend with. I like having them as a monster to fight.

As for where, I don't care if it's American or not; I'm terrible at geography and city map knowledge, so I'd just make up whatever worked for me anyway, unless I was given a map to use.

Lol, okay, sounds good. Pre-Changes, you guys just don't care how far back? Pre-starborn? @amybri18: Do you have a preference for in or outside the US, then?

Alright, no response for a few days, so Seattle it is, during the official timeline but Pre-Changes, specifically set after White Night to allow for the paranet. What this means for you [SPOILERS ABOUND!!!!!]:

*The White Council of mortal wizards is at war against the Red Vampire Court (thanks to the actions of one Harry Dresden, warden and founder of the paranet).
  • Paranetter is a viable aspect
  • In a War with White Council/Red Court is a viable aspect
  • Wizard of the White Council and Warden of the White Council are available character templates
  • Minor-Talent and Focused Practitioner are available character templates
*Red Court Vampires are bat-like humanoids who use a disguise to look human and feed off of mortals. Their saliva is addictive. To be bitten and infected with the Hunger means one would undergo a change into a Red Court Vampire; however, this change only enters it's final stage of transformation when the infected gives into his Hunger by draining a mortal entirely of its lifeblood. The Hunger gives supernatural strength, speed, and restorative abilities at the expense of free will. Once the transformation is complete, the Vampire shreds his human flesh and is a creature of its nature, no longer human. Resisting the Hunger is unimaginably difficult, but there is a group known as the Fellowship of St. Giles whose soul purpose is to fight the Red Court (which are a major power throughout the world, but primarily third world countries where they may act as gods), including using an enchanted method of tattooing that tempers the Hunger. Two Red Court outposts in Chicago have been destroyed (Bianca's mansion and the Red Cross hidey-hole).
  • All Red Court connected aspects are viable (such as Red Court saliva addict)
  • Red Court Infected/Fellowship of St. Giles is an available character template.
*Tera Wild, a wolf who can transform into a human, currently resides in the Northwest after having trained apprentices in the Chicago area and losing her loupgarou-cursed husband.
  • Were-form is an available character template
  • Other lycanthrope-based templates are available *must have special permission
*O'Hare airport in Chicago was attacked by terrorists a couple of years prior. These terrorists were actually part of the Order of the Blackened Denarius - holders of the thirty silver pieces that had been paid to Judas for betraying Jesus - intending to release a cocktail of diseases upon the world. These coins are imbued with the shadows of fallen angels who take over their hosts minds and/or bodies; this can be done either by destroying the hosts mental facilities via repeated psychic attacks, a parasitic contract much like the Red Court's Hunger, or a symbiotic relationship.
  • Denarian-related aspects are viable
  • Terrorist-paranoia is a viable aspect?
  • Emissary of Power: Holder of a Blackened Denarius is an available character template
  • True Believer is an available character template
*One of the Swords of the Cross - swords created from the nails with which Jesus had been nailed to the cross and are thus imbue with the power of Faith (no joke) - is without a weilder. Fidelaccius, sword of Faith.
  • Religious aspects are viable?
  • Champion of God is an available character template *must get special permission and have an awesome character sheet, yo
*The White Court of Vampires, vampires of mortal bodies with their own Hunger, is headed by the house of Raith - vampires of lust who use their abilities to seduce humans - under Lara's subverted control. (Other houses include Malvoro - sorrow - and Skavis - fear)
  • White Court-based aspects are viable
  • White Court Vampire and White Court Virgin are available character templates
*The Black Court, your standard corpse-like vampire, are far and few between. (Other vampire courts are not well known and have no baring on this chart)
*The Faerie Courts have somewhat recently undergone a war, leaving them unbalanced as Mab, Queen of Winter, withholds their Knight. Queen Titania of Summer currently holds the Table of Power, a place of power that alters "allegiance" between the seasons as they come into their solstice. Maeve is the current Lady (princess, if that helps) of Winter, but is on probation for her terrible selection in the previous Winter Knight. Lily became the Lady of Summer with her Knight, Fix, as a result of this war and currently hold these positions.
  • Faerie-related aspects are viable
  • Changeling is an available character templates (also known as halfling, half-born, halfkin, etc. Half-human, half-fae)
  • Emissary of Winter/Summer are available character templates
  • Winter Knight is an available character template *must get special permission and have an awesome character sheet, double yo
*A group of necromancers - prodigies of the dark sorcerer Kemmler who was killed in WWII - attempted a Dark Hallow on Halloween night year before last in Chicago as an effort for one to become a god. Rumors surrounding the night include, but are not limited to: a horde of zombies roaming the night, fights breaking out between many eras of warrior ghosts, a dinosaur skeleton racing through the neighborhood, and Captain Luccio of the Wardens is incredibly hot.
  • Back in my Day is a viable aspect
  • Fear of Wardens is a viable aspect
  • Hot for teacher is a viable aspect
  • Warden Swords will be unavailable *must get special permission
  • Sorcerer is an available character template
  • Warden Carlos Ramirez is appointed head of the Western United States region
*Last year, SplatterCon!!!, which had been held in Chicago, was haunted (as a publicity gimmick, of course) by the monsters of the horror movies for which the convention is staged.
  • Doom of Damocles is a viable aspect *must get special permission
*Only a few months ago, warden recruits were trained in New Mexico at "Camp Kaboom" where some students had been killed by a tribe of ghouls. Shortly thereafter, a mortal mob boss of Chicago, by the name of "Gentleman" Johnnie Marcone, became a signatory of the Unseelie Accords - a Geneva Convention between the mortal and supernatural world composed of the Seelie (both Winter and Summer fae of the noble courts), Denarians, Outsiders, The Vampire Courts, White Council, and [let me know who else I'm missing].
  • Fear of the Warden Draft is a viable aspect
  • Pure Mortal is an available character template

Which pretty much catches us up to where our characters would start, unless you think notating a recall on beer at the Superbowl or how to do a ritual cleansing via youtube is important for your character, then we can push this RP one more year into the future. A couple years from that would open up Amoraccius*, the Sword of Love, but I don't want to go so far as to give anyone accidental and potentially unnatural love from a ride at the fair since that's too close to Changes. Let me know if this contradicts your preferences at all. I'll give ya'll some time to look into what you want to play while I develop the local world a little more. May the odds be ever in your favor.

When it comes to aspects, skills, etc, we'll do those together once you've got an idea what you wanna play and a story for your character. I'll help make sure you're neither too over or under-powered. With such a small table, I want you guys to be able to survive (don't worry, I'll still try to kill you, I just don't want it to be easy), so if you want something weaker, I'm still going to make sure you benefit your team. If you want something uber but your teammates aren't a couple of fangirl groupies, then probably not gonna let it fly straight. Just so's ya knows.

If you need more information regarding definitions and such, they're pretty easy to look up, but here's some wiki for you and a timeline.
Quick Reference Guide and Templates.
DFRPG-Resources.
The Laws of Magic.

Last edited:
Shit. I'm sorry to have to do this, but I can't be part of this. It's nothing to do with any of the game's plans or people involved, but I suddenly had a huge load dropped into my lap that I have to take care of. I'd only slow things down if not stop the train entirely, so I'll have to duck out. Sorry again, but I hope you all enjoy this rich world.

Oh noes! We haven't really started anything, so if you find the time for yourself, please drop on by. Evil Hat made the RP super easy to disappear for long periods of time and such, so don't feel you'd be a burden. Hope everything works out for you!

I myself am thinking either White Council or White Court, but can't decide between the two.

White Court is always fun, giving the group trouble almost every time you try to help, lol. White Council could provide some interesting scenarios as well. I always recommend selecting the character that makes it easiest to open dialogue with and cause drama with - intentionally or not - as it will ultimately be character interaction that makes an RP for the players more so than whatever dungeon crawl I throw at you, lol. Call me lazy if you wish, but I love it when the game kind of plays itself. Your guys post will directly affect the world and how it unfolds, so if you have things you kind of want to happen, make 'em happen! Anything you throw in your character sheet can and will be held against you in a court of roleplay. >:D

Alright, so I'd like a check-in for who's still playing and if anyone else is interested in joining before I open the roleplay. I don't plan on closing sign-ups after it's been opened until I think we've got enough players. So, if you guys have questions regarding characters, powers, whatever, just let me know, but go ahead and at least let me know that You. Are. Still. Here!

Okay, so Seattle will have an abundant Red and White Court vampire (obviously) and Seelie/Summer Court fae population (there's a freaking statue of a troll under a bridge for crying out loud!). It is the "Emerald City" afterall, located atop the Pacific Ring of Fire and a faultline, and has rainy months in place of standard "Winter" months - though it does border one of the most heavily trafficked mountain passes in the world ;). There will be a couple of black market groups, both mortal and supernatural alike as it has double the crime rate of the entire state of Washington, making it one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. so expect lots of bad things to happen for no apparent reason! This will allow players a lot of options for their characters, however, especially because of it's own underground (though not as expansive as Chicago; directly under downtown are mostly party spots - you can sometimes see the glowing ravers through the storm grates! - but feel free to manipulate this fact, I probably will >:D) allowing access to people and stuff that Harry may not have had - there's probably even a Svartalf branch on top of one of the many ley lines somewhere. So you have no excuse to be unprepared, muahahah!! Maybe that's being a little generous, the housing is the most expensive in the US compared to average income levels... If it helps, there's a Starbucks on practically every other corner?

Absolutely taking suggestions from people if you have them or want to share tidbits that might inspire me! ^_^

If there's only the few of us, I will open the RP with a character of my own walking through Pike Market Place having just left a "friend's" on her way to deal with a... discrepancy between some halfborn who are under certain protections. Should anyone want to use the paranet connection, she is a member and you can already know her and/or the halfborn. Of course, anything - I mean, anyone >_> - would see her walking through the area and you could be one of the halfborn yourself or use whatever means you feel appropriate to introduce yourself to the story. Just let me see the character first, please? lol

So excited, guys, let's not let the RP die before it has even begun!!

This would be my character for the roleplay if there is a limited number of people (if we opened to a lot, I would phase her out and solely GM). This should help give you guys an idea how to set-up your characters or give you ideas or whatever, though be prepared that there is some of the dice-specific terminology in there and numbers for that, but I figured it was a better aid than hindrance. We are playing high-powered, so it's a 35-point expenditure on skills, and 8 point base for stunts. These are the house rules, which I would want everyone to post on their character somewhere, especially if it was a Dice Game:

*House Rules:
  • You may retro-spend skills
    • Save points and spend them to bolster quantities of skills at once as you develop your character
    • Spend a Fate Coin to spend Saved points and bolster skills for a reroll
    • Loan yourself points by sticking other points in the neg
  • You must still maintain a Fate pyramid based off the Average axis
  • Acrobatics, Athletics, and Dexterity (excluding Burglary) will be the same skill
  • Might will be divvied into Fists (wrestling) and Endurance (acts of strength)
  • Insight is a part of Empathy and Perception is a part of Alertness
  • Spells are the only time you will have to maintain a skill check with a different skill
    • If you get someone in an arm bar thanks to your Fists wrestling check, you will not be required to hold them in said arm bar with an Endurance check
    • If you use a spell to affect a skill check, you will have to maintain your spell to continue using said benefit
    • If a spell allows you to use Lore or Discipline in place of Investigation (say, because of the Sight, maybe), if you do no pay maintenance of that ability (or turn it off) and it does not feed the required time of examination, you will have to do an Investigation check to continue
Also be warned, I'm not entirely happy with her, so things may change. If there's anything you question, please let me know! Anyway, here you go:

Qileesia Balazs
Biomancer, M.D.

2ibn72b.jpg

(I was going to make her 30, but thought I'd leave some leeway dependent on other characters')
Sex: Female, homosexual (gay)
Race: Human
Class Template: Biomancer (Focused Practitioner)
Role: Tank/Healer (think Holy Pali?)

Background: Qileesia was raised in rural Washington. Wanting to do something more with her life than work on her German father's farm, she continued her schooling into the medical field and decided to study abroad for several of her collegiate years, starting with her maternal roots in India. There she discovered that some things couldn't be cured or prevented by modern medicines and continued traveling the world in search of alternative methods and beliefs that would help to explain this supernatural world she had stumbled upon and with which she felt an uneasy kinship. The Hindu temples gave her many answers, but also many more questions. It wasn't until traveling through Shanghai, China that she met a Japanese sohei who told her he could teach her the ways of Reiki, a form of manipulating one's chi to heal others and strengthen oneself, that she discovered her own capabilities over the body and began to practice magic. Unfortunately, her previous understanding in anatomy and curious - though strictly scientific - nature allowed her develop very quickly in this regard, causing the occasional disruption in the OR of her residency, so she was forced to drop-out and finish her training with the national examination and continue specialties in biology. More fortunately, upon returning to the US, she was able to appeal for the title Doctor of Medicine and open a traveling practice in order to heal and protect those who cannot do so for themselves. She did, however, need to take further courses in veterinary study as some of her taxation documents related to the healthcare of animals rather than human.
ASPECT: "Scanning for Biometrics Now."
ASPECT: Knowledge is Power, and Power is Responsibility.

It didn't take long before she was approached by the White Council and their notorious wardens, who were concerned by her process. They... took the time to "explain" the Laws of Magic to the young Dr. Balazs and her borderline infringement of the second law, which prohibited the use of shape-shifting upon another [mortal] being. Luckily, her mentor had already covered this all with her and she was able to prove her innocence in the language of her veiled audience - well, she had been the one veiled, but it didn't stop their stunned silence from giving her the opportunity to speak her case and inevitably save her life. After the fact, a certain member attempted to recruit her. Little need be said of her rejection to join in a bed of blind war-mongers, or his follow-up offer to join a more literal bed, and nothing he was said in her rejection for this recruitment, but this too did not stop the persistent from giving her an opportunity - his number. It wasn't of assistance until she recognized a serial killing of "lesser talents" in the area via suicide, and all women; a culling. He put her in contact with a freelancing witch who was able to follow the trail to Chicago which was beyond the ordinance of the Indian girl, staying behind to protect what remained of her charges, including one Seattle marketer who claimed she could use someone with talents like her own. A shape-shifter with money and influence to spare, she put it to use in a like cause and toward stabilizing her city. She was left with little option, Qileesia giving the business woman her number to call upon when the situation called for it, but not as a direct employee... as "friends", which was more than either had before.
ASPECT: Connections, Connections.

When the culling had been put to rest, the doctor was one of the first to jump on board the paranet train, setting up multiple branches within her purview. She maintains contact with the netters and the White Council, learning what she can in turn for her work and any intel she gathers from such experiences - which has been much thanks to the increased action of the Red Court toward their wizard enemies - and any deemed under their patronage, like her "lesser talents". She holds the White Council in begrudging regard for their nose-to-heaven superiority complex. However, this did not stop her from taking up a warden's sword. Don't misunderstand, she is no warden, but being able to duplicate one's bio-chemistry makes such failsafes, well, fail. Steadily experimenting and recreating the process, it is possible Qileesia may one day be capable of restoring the symbol of strength; as it stands currently, she is not so certain she wants a council so bleached-white to hold it. The one things she has learned most from these experiments is the value of a life - and how easy it is to level such value to zero. Taking cue from the Old Ways, the warrior woman believes no life should be taken, and those who do are responsible for the consequences they bestow upon themselves by doing so, and thus she will not step-in to such scenarios for friend or foe.
TROUBLE: Life for a Life
Skills 35/35 spending points
FANTASTIC(+6)
SUPERB (+5) Discipline,
GREAT (+4) Conviction, Lore, Scholarship (Medicine)
GOOD (+3) Fists*, Athletics*, Endurance*
FAIR (+2) Weapons, Alertness, Craftsmanship (Smithy)
AVERAGE(+1) Contacts, Survival, Presence,
MEDIOCRE(0) Burglary, Deceit, Driving, Empathy, Guns, Intimidation, Investigation, Performance, Rapport, Resources, Stealth
POOR (-1)
TERRIBLE(-2)

*House Rules:
  • You may retro-spend skills
    • Save points and spend them to bolster quantities of skills at once as you develop your character
    • Spend a Fate Coin to spend Saved points and bolster skills for a reroll
    • Loan yourself points by sticking other points in the neg
  • You must still maintain a Fate pyramid based off the Average axis
  • Acrobatics, Athletics, and Dexterity (excluding Burglary) will be the same skill
  • Might will be divvied into Fists (wrestling) and Endurance (acts of strength)
  • Insight is a part of Empathy and Perception is a part of Alertness
  • Spells are the only time you will have to maintain a skill check with a different skill
    • If you get someone in an arm bar thanks to your Fists wrestling check, you will not be required to hold them in said arm bar with an Endurance check
    • If you use a spell to affect a skill check, you will have to maintain your spell to continue using said benefit
    • If a spell allows you to use Lore or Discipline in place of Investigation (say, because of the Sight, maybe), if you do no pay maintenance of that ability (or turn it off) and it does not feed the required time of examination, you will have to do an Investigation check to continue

Stunts 8/9 spending points

Thaumaturgy (-3): Ritual work that takes time, usually within a circle
Channel - Element(-2): (Limited "Quick and Dirty" Evocation abilities) Body, biological magic
Scholar - Medicine, Supernaturopathy (-1): Has greater knowledge in the medical field (+2), and considered a specialist when it comes to "natural" remedies (think herbalism; +3)
Eagle Eye (-1): May use Alertness in place of Investigation when taking-in clues on the fly
Martial Artiste (-1): Fighting is like dancing, you may use Fists>Performance when the occasion merits, and you can work with any partner (+2 defense vs any opponent who makes any three actions in any one scene)
Wizard's Constitution (+0): Mostly for cosmetic purposes, but wounds you sustain heal more than your average mortal
The Sight - Limited (+0): Sight is limited by element (Body)
Beast Change (-1): Being a spell rather than a were-form, musts are not required, but the stunt power is listed for legible ease
Painful Transformation (+1): A full transformation done outside the bounds of a ritual are incredibly painful and may cause an additional stress or a mild consequence

Spells *regular usage

Channel (3/4 regular usages):
  1. Cellular Regeneration* - heals mild consequence, or lessens a moderate+ by one level (for one hour unless other aide is applied)
  2. Shape-shifting* - Cosmetic changes such as hair/eye color require no cost, but taking on an appendage feels natural after the initial change; req. no duration costs; Use Discipline in favor of particular skill (bat ears or eagle eyes for Investigation; chameleon camouflage or cat paws for Stealth; claws or fangs for Weapons; gills for Endurance breathing under water)
  3. Telepathy* - Connecting to the brainwaves of a target, giving +3 to defense, -3 to mental defense, allows for silent communication, and can be used in place of Empathy skill; duration costs apply
Ritual (3/5 regular usages):
  1. Cellular Regeneration (10mins+) - gives "Inhuman Healing" power for one hour; duration stacks
  2. Reiki Massage (20mins+) - heals one mild consequence and lessens a moderate to a mild, or heals one moderate (1hr, Severe>moderate; others only, 20mins, lessen severe but user takes mild consequence)
  3. Full Transformation (15mins) - user changes into creature within one size of original form (+10mins for each size after that) with no consequences and no duration costs

Stress
Physical: [_][_][_][_][_][_]XX
4 mild, 2 moderate, 1 severe, 1 extreme

Mental: [_][_][_][_][_][_]XX
2 mild, 2 moderate, 1 severe, 1 extreme

Social: [_][_][_]XXXXX
1 mild, 1 moderate, 0 severe, 0 extreme

Current Fate Coins: 1

Last edited:
I'm still interested. That said, I never did get the files for the official RP System, so if that is indeed what we are using, I'm going to have to have someone ship them off to me.

I'm not following the official rules, and I don't have PDF formats of anything (except the links above I've been finding throughout the interwebs), but I figure it's better for people who have played to the system to know what the differences are. The only thing I'm [sortof] sticking to is the character sheet. I have no problem generating this for people who aren't comfortable with it if you just want to write-up something about them for me. My character was originally from a table that ended-up dying before she really got to be used, but I want her to be, so... apologies if that's more confusing than helpful. If it does help, here's a direct link to the blank CS forms.

So, what you need to know about "buying" your character:

*35 points to spend on skills (Alertness, Athletics, Burglary, Driving, Endurance, etc)
*8 points to spend on stunts/powers (if you don't want to go through the multitude of lists, just make something up for a few. You must always have at least one left over)
*If you're a wizard/magic-user of any kind, you can make up any spell on the spot but IT WILL STRAIN AND DRAIN YOU. So, you get a number equal to your Discipline score that you may use regularly (of each type, evo/channel, and thaumaturgy/rit).
*Stresses I can calc for you, keep track of for you, and will note if people want them. It should be pretty obvious, though, that if I say "Dude, be careful, you've got, like, one spell left in you before you pass out" that what I mean is you can cast one more spell and then you better end your post with a bunch of letter 26's or drank a caffienomancer potion or something, lol. If you want to, though, you get 2 standard and 1+ for each of the modifiers for their related skill (Physical=Endurance, Mental=Conviction, Social=Presence) up to 5 (then it costs +1 for every two levels or something, but you get an extra mild consequence or something).

That's pretty much it. I'll be honest, it's not necessarily vital to have all this, it's mostly to give everyone a clear idea what their character and others' characters are capable of, and... maybe an itsy teensy itty bitty little wittle bit of early torture from the GM to make sure everyone's making sacrifices and exposing their weaknesses to me. Muahahahahahaha!!! I'm working on a banner and the page opener/advertisement to draw more in.

Status
Not open for further replies.