Writing Levels
  1. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Super Hero. Comic Book. Science Fiction. Romance.
Anyone up for a Dragon Ball Z roleplay?!
Yeah, that's the main point of this post. Want to see who would be up for a roleplay, with all original characters, set in the Dragonball Z universe. So far I have two plots arcs planned and would like to plan more around other people's OCs.

Setting
It would take place in Universe 7, but in a different timeline. One where the main cast do not exist - there are still humans, androids, saiyans, and namekians but none of our familiar heroes and villains. Roughly at the beginning of Z with similar power levels.

Character sheets, with races and powers and art. Power levels and transformations progressing throughout the stories. We'll be playing in the forum.

Plot
The first plot arc will revolve around sentient mushroom alien trying to crush two planets together. The second story arc will pull the story's focus back to what you would typically consider more traditional Dragon Ball Z, with a transforming villain that eats alternate timelines. After that, I hope to build story arcs that tie in and focus on each original character from each player, one at a time (maybe a few at a time if they're already connected characters).

The characters will journey and fight together, side-by-side, against these new enemies.

So yeah. How many folks would be interested in that?

Reactions: MrStoryTeller
I'm old, but DBZ OC fanfiction was all the rage when I was getting introduced to the 'net. I tend to retain a soft spot for these kinds of RPs. The idea of character-focused arcs in one really piques my interest.

Reactions: Glass
I'd be interested. I'm not a fan of Super, so when I saw this DBZ interest thread, I was intrigued.

I agree with @CoffeeCake that the character-focused arcs would be great to explore. The show couldn't seem to escape Goku being its focus, even when the torch was passed to Gohan. (Not that I blame the show of course; Goku is a fantastic character)

I also really like the weird side of DBZ in terms of its characters/villains. ex. Majin Buu, Other World Tournament, so the first villain wanting to smash worlds together fits.

So posting here to express interest. I do have to brainstorm character ideas though (none formed yet). If this does go through interest phase, I will tell you upfront that it's ok to tell me if my characters/ideas/posts don't work, so that I can rework them.

I'm old, but DBZ OC fanfiction was all the rage when I was getting introduced to the 'net. I tend to retain a soft spot for these kinds of RPs. The idea of character-focused arcs in one really piques my interest.
Awesome! Be happy to have you. I think a lot of us older roleplayers hit a DBZ hype period online

I'd be interested. I'm not a fan of Super, so when I saw this DBZ interest thread, I was intrigued.

I agree with @CoffeeCake that the character-focused arcs would be great to explore. The show couldn't seem to escape Goku being its focus, even when the torch was passed to Gohan. (Not that I blame the show of course; Goku is a fantastic character)

I also really like the weird side of DBZ in terms of its characters/villains. ex. Majin Buu, Other World Tournament, so the first villain wanting to smash worlds together fits.

So posting here to express interest. I do have to brainstorm character ideas though (none formed yet). If this does go through interest phase, I will tell you upfront that it's ok to tell me if my characters/ideas/posts don't work, so that I can rework them.
Can't wait to see what cool characters you come up with

Reactions: CoffeeCake
Still hoping to grab a few more people

Makes sense. Say, while we're waiting, at about what level of power/strength will we be operating?

Like, will we start off at about Dragon Ball level strength where it's kind of like wuxia with the odd ki or magic attack? Early DBZ/Late DB strength level? Saiyan saga? Something else?

Makes sense. Say, while we're waiting, at about what level of power/strength will we be operating?

Like, will we start off at about Dragon Ball level strength where it's kind of like wuxia with the odd ki or magic attack? Early DBZ/Late DB strength level? Saiyan saga? Something else?
Early DBZ kindof levels. I guess around 300 or 400 Power Level but I'm not looking to be too strict with the power levels themselves

If people have a preference I'm willing to lean one way or the other

Good. I'm not strict about numbers either.

I like that range as a starting point. Superhuman but not casually nuclear(for heroes, at least) and back when someone spamming beam attacks was still somewhat impressive.

I'm rarely ever married to a concept before the first IC post is made, but right now I'm thinking of a sort of good intentioned, adventure-seeking brat from a wealthy or influential family ending up (likely involuntarily) committed to the life of a warrior and coming to terms with doing it for fun vs doing it for real stakes. Not necessarily jumping straight into that arc, depending on the plot and pacing, but at some point I think that might be the kind of character development I would be aiming for.

I really like that idea. Maybe the family is World Martial Arts Tournament famous, but in order to keep making money/maintain popularity, the daughter is pressed to fight and become a celebrity? The tournament in Dragon Ball and Z started out as low stakes / for fun and honor, but there have been tournaments that have become serious (ex. Piccolo Sr., Majin Vegeta) with high stakes. Or it could be something like a quiet village trains fighters but there hasn't been 'real action' in many generations?

A character concept I've been mulling in my head is a character that fights with weird gadgets. The arc I was envisioning was from a cowardly character that relies on gadgets/guns/augmentations, to a character that develops their innate strengths, and fights to protect their friends. Frieza soldiers have arm energy cannons, Trunks has a sword, Bulma has capsules but doesn't use them in combat (as far as I can recall), so 'item-user' popped into mind.

Here are some character ideas to wrap around the core
* A weapons tester for Red Ribbon (brainwashed from birth or an android with directives, first being self preservation), or some another mercenary group (like a world peacekeeping force)
* A Tuffle or sci-fi based alien who crash landed on Earth and survived the dinosaur-infested wildlife through technology and running away. Less warrior, more survivalist by necessity.

Reactions: CoffeeCake
If it helps with character concepts; we will be starting on earth but you don't have to be human. The first arc I have planned will start with the arrival of aliens (good ones)

Oh! If anyone wants to play a villain, let me know. You'll have to promise not to spoil anything as we go though xD

As much as I like having that option, I think I'm gonna pass on the offer.

I tend to self-typecast as mentors, quirky side characters, and villains. I want to be protagonist-y this time.

I really like that idea. Maybe the family is World Martial Arts Tournament famous, but in order to keep making money/maintain popularity, the daughter is pressed to fight and become a celebrity? The tournament in Dragon Ball and Z started out as low stakes / for fun and honor, but there have been tournaments that have become serious (ex. Piccolo Sr., Majin Vegeta) with high stakes. Or it could be something like a quiet village trains fighters but there hasn't been 'real action' in many generations?
We're on similar wavelengths so far. I see fun potential in both, though I've sort of played something like the last idea before. I may just go with that first idea to inject a little comic relief where appropriate. I'm thinking about characters like D.Va or Johnny Cage but not quite so over the top.
The fighter serving as walking PR for her family aspect also brings to mind Azucena Ortiz from Tekken, but again, I don't quite want to be so obnoxious. A cocky show-off who has to grow up on the job is among the variations bouncing around in my head.

Admittedly, my very first idea(during my third reply) was sort of more inspired by the idea of a nicer Jen or Jiaolong from Crouching Tiger--the daughter of powerful people who sneaks away to fight incognito. If I go with this one, she wouldn't be as adaptable. I would lean into the fish out of water aspect, at least in the beginning. She's got skills, but still treating it more like a game until stuff gets real.

TL;DR:
Kick butt and style on the opps for my family's reputation! The warrior's world is a game until it isn't. Panic and run or stand and fight?

A character concept I've been mulling in my head is a character that fights with weird gadgets. The arc I was envisioning was from a cowardly character that relies on gadgets/guns/augmentations, to a character that develops their innate strengths, and fights to protect their friends. Frieza soldiers have arm energy cannons, Trunks has a sword, Bulma has capsules but doesn't use them in combat (as far as I can recall), so 'item-user' popped into mind.

Here are some character ideas to wrap around the core
* A weapons tester for Red Ribbon (brainwashed from birth or an android with directives, first being self preservation), or some another mercenary group (like a world peacekeeping force)
* A Tuffle or sci-fi based alien who crash landed on Earth and survived the dinosaur-infested wildlife through technology and running away. Less warrior, more survivalist by necessity.
I like this.

Last edited:
@CoffeeCake I like the daughter of powerful people who likes to sneak off and fight in secret, kind of Toph Beifong from Avatar: The Last Airbeder. I did it

@foodforpigs With the weapons and armour in DBZ, along with the tech like Capsule Corp, and androids, someone using tech to fight is entirely reasonable. Would be a nice break from the usual heroes too

Especially after the first two arcs, when I have had some time to plan arcs around each of your characters, protagonist-y is exactly the feel I want to give everyone. No one needs to be a Yamcha (unless they want to...?)

Not sure how much interest we're getting in this. May set a final date and see

Alright, I really think that's a wrap.

Are you guys okay just with us few?

I'd be down. I've been caught up by real life, but I would like to see if this would work.
I'm thinking a brainwashed Red Ribbon character turned android or someone part of a peacekeeping force, as opposed to alien (because aliens are showing up as part of the plot.) I could use some help thinking of good tech. I thought it'd be easy to think of stuff, but it looks like a taller order to still make it feel Dragon Ball.

I'd be down. I've been caught up by real life, but I would like to see if this would work.
I'm thinking a brainwashed Red Ribbon character turned android or someone part of a peacekeeping force, as opposed to alien (because aliens are showing up as part of the plot.) I could use some help thinking of good tech. I thought it'd be easy to think of stuff, but it looks like a taller order to still make it feel Dragon Ball.
Happy to help with the planning for this

Yeah, got plenty of alien stuff. So something non-alien would contrast well. I'm digging the brainwashed RR android idea. Maybe combine it with the peacekeeping force, either since escaping RR they joined a peace keeping force or before they were brainwashed they were apart of a peace keeping force

Good tech... Hmm, later androids play with energy tech. Either absorbing or having infinite energy. Strictly speaking, not all of the androids have to be robotic. Such as 17 and 18, you're probably well aware that they're cyborgs. Even their upgrades and "cyber" parts are said to be "organic bio-matter" according to Bulma. Could be fun to go with something closer to the new Gamma androids

Reactions: foodforpigs
I'm okay with starting with just us and leaving it open for others to join. A good RP can be it's own press.

For capsule tech ideas, I think early Bulma and the weaker fodder aliens can be a source of inspiration: Explosives. Smokescreens. Radars. Beam guns that attack roughly around the level of strong punches. More powerful guns with long cooldowns. Or even something akin to caster bullets from Outlaw Star(magic aspect optional). Mechs or powered armors that can keep up with the speed and strength levels of opponents(Thinking of something like cramming Dr. Willow's tech from World's Strongest into something more akin to Bulma's Submersible Mech or her transforming multimech before eventually going full cyborg as your tech improves).

Those are just suggestions. Take or leave them. Most importantly, do something you find fun!

Another idea just crossed my mind. What if we were both Red Ribbon defectors? What if we start out initially trying to tell the alien threat "Earth isn't yours to conquer" and develop consciences along the way, deciding to go AWOL after losing our loyalty to Red Ribbon?

That could be overcomplicating things though. I just like throwing ideas at the wall.

More complex isn't always better. It's a lesson I keep having to re-learn.

EDIT: Another tech idea is short term performance-enhancing injections that basically serve the same narrative function as Kaio-ken.

Last edited:
I think simpler is the right way to go.
I'm going to say that my character is a gamma android that escaped RR.
The reason I have is that RR kept sending him to do death-defying missions, trial runs for the next iteration of androids, and that the small 'self-preservation' module took over his programming and caused him to defect. Since then he has been out on their own as a mercenary to pay for his own upkeep.

This would give good opportunities for character development as well. He would still have the negative reputation for having been associated with Red Ribbon, Red Ribbon would be out to 'reclaim their property', and he would still need to be deprogrammed to not be cowardly and value the preservation of all life. Being integrated into a peacekeeping force sounds like a good 'future thing' for the character arc.

Weapons: Explosives, smokescreens, radars, beam pistol, leaving room to find/appropriate technology along the way.
Strengths: Android strength/speed
Weaknesses: Low ki rating, techniques like cloning/after image/flight not known to him, can't detect ki without a scanner.

EDIT:// I saw @MrStoryTeller like the initial post. You should get in here :)

I think simpler is the right way to go.
I'm going to say that my character is a gamma android that escaped RR.
The reason I have is that RR kept sending him to do death-defying missions, trial runs for the next iteration of androids, and that the small 'self-preservation' module took over his programming and caused him to defect. Since then he has been out on their own as a mercenary to pay for his own upkeep.

This would give good opportunities for character development as well. He would still have the negative reputation for having been associated with Red Ribbon, Red Ribbon would be out to 'reclaim their property', and he would still need to be deprogrammed to not be cowardly and value the preservation of all life. Being integrated into a peacekeeping force sounds like a good 'future thing' for the character arc.

Weapons: Explosives, smokescreens, radars, beam pistol, leaving room to find/appropriate technology along the way.
Strengths: Android strength/speed
Weaknesses: Low ki rating, techniques like cloning/after image/flight not known to him, can't detect ki without a scanner.

EDIT:// I saw @MrStoryTeller like the initial post. You should get in here :)
All really good, sounds like a great character

Not sure if I should make a character on earth to join or just run the more plot necessary characters I have planned

After thinking about it, I'd say, do it! Drop them quietly to the background if it doesn't work out. Bring them back when it fits your narrative goals. It happens in television and movies all the time.