Destiny's Path. (HollowEastword and DoughGuy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akane grabbed one of the large straw bags that had the plant in it, it was quite heave "I think three of these will be enough" she said struggling to keep the heavy bag up, but she did anyway. She hoisted the bag to rest on her shoulder and walked of to pay hoping Marcus would follow.

Marcus looked at the rest of the bags, wondering how he would carry two of them. Maybe he could manage one and a half on his own. With a sigh he reached forward and grabbed too, letting out a "ooph" as they came off the bench and their full weight hit him. Half carrying, half dragging them he followed Akane to the counter to pay where he gave 60 strips, 20 for each bag, to the cashier. "This is gonna be a long walk back." he said.

Akane sighed and looked at the path they came down from, it was a long way and up of all things. She looked around her not at all in the mood for carrying these things "We could up and see if we can't find a cart or something" she looked down at the heavy bag she had dropped on the ground.

Marcus hmmmed as he dropped his own two bags onto the ground. There were some carts around but they all looked to be owned and would probably cost them to hire. Then an idea hit him, the street was pretty wide. "Why don't you head back to the hotel and get Lief. I'll wait here with the food until you return. Then we can put them on him and head back."

Akane nodded and put herself into a jog, being in the desert did do some good it made her really fit. In no time she was at their steeds stable "Come on" she laughed a bit when Lief just lied down in the shade. Eventually she got him up and out of the stable, it didn't take long for her to get back to marcus "You look like you need a lift" she smiled down at her friend.

Marcus waited patiently for Akane to reappear. He watched the general hustle and bustle of the city though he soon grew bored by it. Luckily Akane returned before too long. "Why it just so happens that I've been waiting for someone to come by and offer a ride." he said with a chuckle. He handed the bags up to her to place on Lief's back one by one before climbing onto after them.

Akane put the bags on Lief's back and helped Marcus up afterwards, they rode back now not in such a hurry. Once they reached the inn she put Lief back in the stable and gave him some of his food, which he ate in but a few bites. "Okay now we can go a relax" she smiled and walked into the inn heading for their room.

"Indeed, finally we can put our feet up." Marcus replied to Akane as they entered the hotel. He led the way back up to their room, unlocking the door so they could get in. He walked over to his own bed and simply flopped onto it, enjoying the softness of the straw compared to the hard wood of the chair. "So what do you want to do here?" he asked Akane.

Akane lied down on her side looking at Marcus thinking about is question, "well" she said in thought thinking about things to do "There nothing really...well anything you want to as long as it doesn't take too much energy" she smiled at him.

"Weeeeeell." he pulled the strips they had left out of his pocket There were still forty of them, they'd spent 20 less on both their equipment and Lief's food. "We could go gambling, we'd have to find a place to play cards first though. Sitting in a chair looking at things doesn't use much energy." he chucked lightly, "Don't know what else there is to do in this town. Maybe drink."

She only shook her head at him, she knew him all to well and it was really no surprise "I should have known you would say gambling" she laughed, she was never really one for it but once in a while could not hurt "Ah well what else is there to do anyway? Let's go" she smiled and got up off the bed.

"You really should have." Marcus replied, smiling back at her. He got up off the bed and did a small stretch and yawned. "We'll need to find a place. That old inn probably had some gamblers but I'd rather not go back there. Don't know if we can afford to gamble in this inn." 40 strips wasn't nothing, but he had a feeling the mercs who hired them were groaning at the bill their current residence was sending them. "Looks like we'll be exploring the town again." he said as he walked out of the room.

"At least now we can do it at our own pace" she too walked out of the room, they had no food and bags with them to worry about so the trip would just be fine "When we came there was a bar a street down from the old inn" she pointed that way once she was out the main door "Maybe all those types of things are down that way" she suggested.

"Bars would be the best place to look." Marcus replied, "People like to drink when they gamble. I like people who drink when they gamble. Let's go." He gave a little bit of an evil smile at the thought of swindling a drunk of their gambling money. He led the way back to the old inn then followed Akane's direction to the bars. There were a few of them and Marcus chose one which looked to be average. Somewhere clean but not fancy. Entering it he saw it was relatively busy with around two dozen patrons. And indeed up the back was a group of people playing cards.

Akane looked around the place, it was better then some of the place she had seen so far and clean "Well" she took some of the money from Marcus "Go get into your element I'll go buy something to drink, I'll be back to see you play" she smiled at him "ah anything you want?" She asked looking back at him.

"Whatever the bartenders got, just get me something nice." Marcus replied with a smile back at Akane. He walked over to the card table, noting that the men watched his approach. He sat down on an empty seat and laid his strips on the table. "What's the game?" he asked them.

"Bone Ace." the one holding the cards growled.

With a smile Marcus replied, "Deal me in then."

Akane stood at the bar and got the drinks, it was something she never drank before but it looked nice, she headed towards Marcus steering clear of any drunk men at the bar. She stopped next to Marcus and whispered to him "Here ya go, dunno what it is so don't ask...what you playing?"

Marcus too the drink from her with a smile and whispered back, "Thanks. Bone Ace." (Which is medieval blackjack which goes to 31 instead of 21). Then the game started. The man with the cards dealt them all two cards and everyone put in four strips.

First hand
Dealer: Busted on 34
Man 1: 25
Man 2: 27
Marcus: 28

Marcus collected his winnings with a sip of the drink. It was quite fruity and he guessed they must have a pretty good agriculture section in the city. Dropping another four strips in the dealer dealt another game.

Second Hand
Dealer 30
Man 1: 29
Man 2: 29
Marcus: Bust on 34

The dealer collected his winnings. Marcus still had 48 strips so he was still good and ready for another hand.

Akane stood behind Marcus resting her arms on the chair, she looked at his cards. She knew that he would never need help with cards, unlike her who couldn't even hold them right. She remembered how he used go "no, no, no" hand reposition the cards in her hands and show her how to deal. "You gonna play again?" She asked so only he could hear.

"Definitely." Marcus replied in the same quiet whisper, "I reckon I can get a bit more." The second man was looking quite annoyed with himself and Marcus guessed he was an angry loser. A few more losses and he'd be leaving or taking too many risks. The first man looked cautious and with the right risk taking he could beat him. Only the dealer with his quiet attitude seemed to be a real player. And then the next hand was dealt.

Third hand
Dealer: Busted on 35
Man 1: 24
Man 2: 29
Marcus: 29

Up to 52 strips. The second man was quite annoyed at his split winnings with Marcus.

Fourth hand
Dealer: Busted on 37
Man 1: Busted on 32
Man 2: Busted on 34
Marcus: 30

Up to 64, "Last game for me." Marcus said, happy to end with a profit of 20 strips at minimum. The second man was now spluttering at Marcus's 30 which he had been dealt directly.

Five hand
Dealer: 30
Man 1: Busted on 32
Man 2: Busted on 34
Marcus: Busted on 32

Down to 60 Marcus was quite happy with the game. The second man however, stood and stormed out. Marcus simply took a sip of his drink and turned to Akane, "Where now?" he asked her.

Status
Not open for further replies.