Destiny's Path. (HollowEastword and DoughGuy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akane looked all around her, if this was an inn she did not want to know what a bar looked like, she smiled at the man that came up to them he didn't smile back the people in the city sure were not friendly. "Ummm" Akane let out she knew Marcus was leaving it up to her to choose and of course being Akane she tought of the animal first "The stable and one room will do" she said to the innkeeper.

"Stable and one room it is." Marcus confirmed.

The innkeeper pocketed the cash and took out a key from his other one. "First room on the right, second floor." he said after peering at it, "Enjoy your stay." There was something very sleazy about his smile. "Just tie up your beast anywhere in the stable."

"Thanks." Marcus said, taking the key from him and heading back outside. The stable appeared to be a small wooden structure on the side of the inn, only twice as wide as their ride was. "Might be a tight fit to get him in there." he said to Akane.

She didn't like the man very much he was somewhat strange but Akane brushed it of and followed Marcus outside, according to her the stable wasn't worth the money paid for it "A tight fit indeed" she said "but no worries" she smiled. Akane took the animal by his reins and turned him around so that he would be rearing into the stable, after a few times of walking him back out Akane finally found the right posting for him to stand. "Now it won't be so hard to get him out" she beamed at Marcus patting the animal "Let's go look at our room" she pointed at the inn and walked back inside.

As Akane beamed at him, successfully getting the beast into a good spot, Marcus gave her a big smile back, "Good work." he said, "And yeah, its getting very late, let's see what we bought." He went back into the inn with her and walked up to the second floor. Putting the key into the first door on the right he unlocked it and walked in. It was about what he had expected from the type of establishment. There was a single bed with a straw mattress and a cloth blanket. Next to it was a wooden table with a wooden chair. It wasn't too large but it seemed fairly clean thankfully. "You can have the bed." he said to Akane, smiling at her, "I'm not that tired since I slept all day."

"Didn't really expect any better* she said as soon as the door was opened, the only think she didn't see was mice or rats, thankfully. She walked into the small room and turned to Marcus "Are you sure?" She asked him she would gladly sleep on the chair Marcus had been tired lately and she wanted him to rest "This your chance to fully rest up,you take the bed" she said stepping back from the bed's side.

"No no no." Marcus said with a light laugh, "I'm fine really." He gave Akane a large smile and, putting his hands on her shoulders, gently pushed her down so she was sitting on the bed. "You need to rest that leg of yours. I'm probably going to spend a few hours staring at the stars cause I'm awake. You take the bed." He gave her another smile. He was really feeling fine after sleeping on the trip in. The weariness from the adrenaline and battle was gone and he was back to his normal self.

"Ok" she said and still kept her eyes on him. She bent down and took of her boots her feet really hurt from all the walking, she groaned a bit as she took them off it felt good. Next she slightly lifted her pant leg up to see the bruise it was the same as that morning "Well see you in the morning" she smiled at marcus and rested her head on pillows. It wasn't long before she was in a deep sleep.

Marcus was glad to see Akane take the bed, though he was a little worried when she lifted up her pants leg to reveal the bruise the ant had caused. He hoped it wouldn't be around for too much longer, it still looked quite bad. "Goodnight Akane." he replied to her with a smile. As she laid down and went to sleep he went over and locked the door to the room then sat in the chair. If they'd had a dollar to their name he would've tried to find a card game somewhere but the rooms had cost every last strip. Instead he sat in the chair and hoped that tomorrow would bring them a job, and he'd be asking for half up front, they needed food. After a few hours of his own thoughts he drifted off to sleep himself.

Akane woke to what sounded like a frightened animal, she wasn't wrong at all. Once she could get up she jumped out of bed and ran out of the door, she didn't even wait to see if Marcus was awake. Once she got outside she saw three men at the large white animal "Hey!!" She yelled and ran to them, she pushed them away and got a few grate punches in "Get away from him" she growled at them and stepped in front of the animal.

One man dressed much like a mercenary stepped forward and spoke to her "You must be the mercenary the city people talk about" he stated in a deep almost quiet tone. "I'm that famous?" She said in her sarcastic angry tone. She looked to the door of the inn to see if Marcus was gonna come out.

Marcus was awoken by the sound of Akane jumping from the bed and rushing outside. As he brushed the sand from his eyes he realised what had woken him up and was suddenly alert. If they had of been outside in the wastes he would've been after her in a flash but here in town he was in relaxation mode.

Jumping up he ran after her though arrived too late to assist in the fight. Emerging from the inn he walked over to stand beside Akane. "What's going on here?" he asked.

"Ah! So not just one but two" said the stranger "perfect, you'll both do well" he said walking closer to them. Akane was ready to defend herself and Marcus if needed. "What do you want?" Asked Akane tilting her head a bit and giving Marcus a look.

"Why we want you two,we've been waiting for mercenaries or nights to come around here" she spoke now not looking so dangerous but still serious "for what?" Asked Akane "To take care of our citie's problem, our organization was wiped out, we had plenty of mercenaries but they never come back or quit after a while of working" explained the man.

"What wiped it out?" Marcus said, his eyes narrowing on the group.

The front man looked nervous as he spoke, "A few months ago an exploratory mine hit an ant nest. Ever since they've been attacking the city. They're not dangerous solo and even in groups you can take them out with careful planning. But everyone we send to the nest never comes back. No one else is willing to stop them but they're damaging the city."

Marcus, seeing an opportunity, swept in and took it. Desperate people were willing to take desperate deals. This was the job they needed and they'd get it done. "Food and rent you'll pay why we're here in the city for the first month plus a 200 strip downpayment. And when we get it done the completion payment will be 500 strips each." He folded his arms and waited to see if they'd negotiate or just accept.

Last edited:
Akane looked at Marcus as he stated what the costs would be, it most definitely wasn't unreasonable, to be honest she thought it was cheap.
"Well?" Sh asked the men in front of her.

The man looked as he was thinking things over very hard, he turned to the other two and back to them "Its a deal then" he stated "Arcon" he said putting out his hand for them to shake. Akane took the man's hand and gave it one firm shake "Akane" she said with a small smile.

When the man was done shaking Akane's hand Marcus took it and shook as well. "Marcus. The innkeepers will be happy to hear your name." he said half-jokingly. He and Akane were definitely moving somewhere better tonight. With a slightly worried expression, the man obviously didn't know if Marcus had been joking, the man gave them a map as well as the downpayment and said, "That's the location of the nest." Then he and his two companions turned around and walked off.

When they were far enough away that the natural noise of the city would cover up any conversation Marcus patted Akane on the shoulder, "Looks like we've got our work. That was easy."

Last edited:
"Wow, I tought we would be looking for some work forever and here it is" she smiled at Marcus "What is the plan then, do we get ready and leave now or wait until tomorrow" she asked him "looking to the sun it was still early but she had no idea what Marcus was planning for this job.

(I did a little retoconning to add Marcus asking for some money at the start. I realised things would be weird otherwise, hope you don't mind!)

"I'm tempted to wait around for a month enjoying some relaxing times before we actually do anything." Marcus replied with a chuckle. "But no, we should try to deal with it quick if we want the people here to like us." He looked at the 200 strips they'd got as a down payment, "Our first step is buying up some supplies for the trip. We don't know how long we'll be out there. And then we can take care of anything else with what we have leftover." He looked at Akane with a smile, "Anything special you want?"

(Hah no I don't mind, I was actually thinking about that but forgot to ask you so its 100%)

Resting for a month didn't sound bad at all, Akane could not even remember the last time it was that they have rested for that long. They have been traveling from place to place looking for jobs, she could almost say that they have been around the world.
"Nothing special" she said thinking "I think only the basics would be fine" she lifted her shoulders "Oh and some food for him" she gestured to their animal friends "that and unless you want anything" she shrugged and started to walk back to the inn to get her shoes.

Reactions: DoughGuy
"Maybe a little for gambling." Marcus said, a little quietly as Akane began walking back to the inn. With an innocent whistle he separated 20 strips from the mass for a little fun with the cards. He then followed Akane back into the inn, separating a third of the remainder out. 60 for their rides food and 120 for theirs. Maybe 80 to 100 he thought, depending on pricing. When he reached the room he had a question for Akane, "Hey. What's our shaggy friend's name? I keep referring to him as the beast in my head and its weird."

Akane was sitting on the bed busy putting on her shoes when Marcus came in "Well he will be called...Lief" she said brightly and got up from the bed walking out the door. "I haven't been in a city in such a long time" she said looking at the streets, people and places to go. "Come" she said excitedly and grabbed Marcus by the arm and started to walk down the long street of stores, stalls and people.

"Nice name." Marcus said, glad he had something to call the beast by. As Akane grabbed his arm and pulled him into the street Marcus let himself be dragged along. There were a lot of people around, the city was evidently a prosperous one even with the ant troubles. There were a lot of stalls selling food like things though they seemed to be treats of food you ate on the go, not good for trekking through the wastes with. Still they were good for treats, "Anything you'd like?" he asked Akane as they passed one selling a variety of sweet patries.

Status
Not open for further replies.