Deception

"I don't know, maybe she'll be mature about it, sure. Like I said, I hardly had the nicest of mothers. I can guarantee mine would have probably have you sent to the gallows and guillotined by now, just to teach me a lesson to stick to my own species. At least your mother's, uh... not going to have me killed. That's something in her favour, anyway," he smiled as he heaved himself up from the small bed, his back cracking as he did so. The night's sleep hadn't been the most comfortable and his body was suffering the consequences, though it was a night he'd remember for all the right reasons - cuddling with Neotoma all night was sweet and made up for the achy bones and muscles he was suffering through at the moment.

Arriving back at the other's home for breakfast was an awkward affair, at least on his part. He may be feeling better and he was certain he didn't look hungover, but he still feared that somehow it would appear obvious and that, as a result, he would be deemed unfit to be Neotoma's friend - or more than that, even. It didn't help that he couldn't communicate with either Mar'kesh or Drakali, and when he started to feel guilty of the burden he had placed upon Neotoma to translate, he more or less fell silent and let the three talk amongst one another without his interjections.

It was almost inevitable that his attention would soon gravitate to the triplets - not only because he was a natural with children and was unsubtle in his desires to be a father as soon as he could, but because they, at least, didn't need to be entertained with artful conversation. He didn't speak the language but that hardly mattered in their case and so, once seeking approval, he had made his way to the small living room area to get hands-on in his efforts to play with him, going as far as to lay on his stomach and get as involved as he could. It wasn't the behaviour of a King so, even if the couple had any suspicions at all of his heritage, the casual behaviour probably dispelled and quashed such curiosities.

"...He's a weird guy, your friend," began Drakali in the halfling's native tongue, the orc calmly finishing off his breakfast with a thankful grin to his wife. "He seems a nice fella, really, just... not what I expected from a demon. S'pose that's a good thing, aye? He seems normal, nothing like what demons are said to be like. And he's good with the triplets; they're never normally this content in the morning."

"Well, he's been pushing for a child for awhile now but his girlfriend hasn't really joined in on the idea. It's no surprise he'd be fascinated with the triplets, right?" Neotoma replied, one hand on his stomach at the idea of children while the other used a spoon to dig into the home cooked eggs. He missed a lot of things from his mother and her cooking was one of those things, sighing in the flavor.

"He's... yeah, he's certainly strange but it's been nice to see how demons actually act. He has a friend named Themus who has been really interested in my work and wants to help me, I think it's would be lovely to travel through the other kingdoms with him. It's all really exciting, this is the sort of thing I've never experienced before. While j was traveling through the other kingdoms, they'd neither never speak to me or they'd tease me. The fact Lysander was so willing to welcome me in was refreshing," he praised with a wide, toothy featuring his sharp teeth.

"Well, I'm glad you're happy, though I'd rather you be with someone who isn't so... strange," the halfling's mother replied, her hands being busy tying up her long purple hair into a bun. The similarities between her and her son were undeniable in all senses outside of the obvious legs and his shorter height thanks to his father. She reached out to cup her son's cheek affectionately once her hair was up with poured lips. "I would prefer you return home and find someone nice here. I want to support your whole hunger for adventure but... I don't know."

Reactions: potassiumboron
Naturally, Drakali chose not to involve himself when the topic seemed too personal for his input. Though he was happily married to Neotoma's mother, and had started a family with her, he was ultimately a stranger to the halfling and wanted to show that just because he was involved in the family dynamic didn't mean he was going to intervene in Neo's business with his mother which was, ultimately, none of the orc's business whatsoever. He had his own opinions about the situation, surprisingly siding more with his stepson than with his wife, but wisely chose to continue to eat his breakfast in silence and distract himself with the sight of his children playing happily with the demon.

It was only when the halfling's words fully settled that he found himself unable to remain silent, reassuring himself that speaking out wasn't an interjection but a chance for Neotoma to clarify what could otherwise lead to more questions and more aggravation in the family.

"...I thought you two were an item? Maybe that was me, uh... jumping to conclusions. You both seemed affectionate; he was certainly protective of you, I thought you were together - but you said he has a girlfriend?" He began with a smile, hoping that the gesture would show that he wasn't adopting an interrogative stance designed to catch Neotoma out; rather, he wanted everything out in the open now so accusations of hiding information couldn't be thrown around in the future. "...Is that a demon thing, multiple partners...? It's, uh... certainly not a thing where I come from, but-- well, if that's the demonic culture..."

"Yeah, I thought it was strange too! Like, I'm sure it isn't just in demon culture but I've yet to see casual polyamory anywhere else but Ignis," Neotoma admitted as he watched Lysander play with the children. Now that he was speaking in his native tongue, he felt much more comfortable being able to speak less rigidly, especially in front of his mother. "I haven't gone door to door asking how people live their lives in the other kingdoms but I'm sure there's at least a handful. I also haven't really spoken to many demons other than Lysander, his girlfriend and his friend so I can't say that all of Ignis is like that either. I can find out, sure, but... I don't know. I'm still a bit uncomfortable but his girlfriend is very sick, so I think this is just how he gets his... ah, you know, sexual stuff done. I'm no psychic so I have no idea whats going on inside that man's head," he admitted with pursed lips.

"Well, I... respect his decision," replied Mar'kech slowly, her wariness at the situation only growing. She didn't believe in a conventional relationship, that was obvious by her multiple halfling children, but that didn't mean she didn't hold some strict morals. She got up to make some tea, happy to keep her hands busy if she needed to. "That being said, I would be devastated if I heard Drakali was fraternizing with another woman, though I would certainly never consent to that so perhaps thats my problem, eh? Just - I don't want you to get hurt over some silly demon, sweetheart. You deserve someone who will take care of you, not someone who would tear you down.'

"I don't want to, ah... trash your friend when he seems nice and when you clearly care for him, and maybe you don't want to hear what I think, but... be careful? Your mom's right, I think. Don't go after someone who might end up hurting you. All this polyamorous stuff seems a recipe for jealousy and disaster and-- I know I wouldn't be comfortable with it, I suppose. And I don't want you getting hurt if you end up liking this demon and he... spends his time with others," said the orc as carefully as he could, trying not to pass judgement on a culture he literally knew nothing about, or on a demon who was polite and surprisingly considerate to them, but it was hard not to when every ideal he held seemed to contradict the ones Lysander had.

Unaware that they had all been talking about him, particularly oblivious to the advice given to Neotoma that all but urged him to end his romantic involvement with him before it had even really started, the demon strolled up to the table with a wide smile, acutely aware that the triplet had begun to grizzle and whine now he had stopped the impromptu play session - and knowing he had made that connection with them so quickly, that they wanted him to keep playing, made him happier than he thought it would.

"Hey, I, uh-- Neo, I should get going really, leave you to have some time with your mom and your siblings and stuff, yeah? I don't want to intrude, so..."

"I know, I'm trying not to be too invested in him b-but... I don't know, I guess I'm just lonely, you know? Lysander seems genuinely interested in me a-and that never happened before. Sure, he has a girlfriend, and I'm pretty certain they both are thinking about using me to have a child, b-but... I don't know, I suppose I just don't want to think about the consequences when everything seems better now. Where I was living was freezing, I'm sure my mom has told you that lamias don't react well to cold. While I didn't freeze to death, it was still hard to get out of bed because everything was so sore and so cold. Ingis is hot, like Harenae, but with warm heat-" he tried to explain, only stopping when he noticed Lysander standing to the side and the triplets with their whines in protest.

"Oh, are you certain you want to head out? I really think you should stay close if you're going to, sandstorms can be rough during this time of the year and I don't want to be at blame for having the King of Ignis suddenly being lost in the desert," the halfling replied with a wary frown, his eyes peeking out through the windows and the shutters that were locked in place but ready to close the moment there was a sign of trouble. The sandstorms were obviously the most hated part of Harenae but they brought a sort of comfort nonetheless, connecting that with staying inside and reading, much like a human would on a rainy day.

"If you insist on leaving, just stay close. There's a cute market not too far, if I remember correctly. Perhaps you could bring back some things for Imogen, I'm sure she'd be thrilled that you got something for her," he continued, watching as the kettle started to whistle from the heat of the fire. He watched as his mother poured out the tea, taking a hearty sip. "When you get back, we can check out more of the night life. It'll be fun, I promise."

Naturally, the orc was more than a little surprised by the causal admission of a potential surrogacy, exchanging a quick glance with his wife to ensure that he hadn't misheard or misunderstood. Neotoma could do whatever he liked as an adult, and he was well aware he had no right to try and influence his decision when he had known him for all of one day, but to say he was in disagreement with the idea was an understatement, and he at least wanted a little more clarification on it if only to start a discussion to dissuade the halfling from undertaking the decision in the future.

Before he had a chance to broach the topic, Lysander had approached and proceeded to talk with Neotoma in a language only they could speak. The demon, unaware that the impression of him had soured a little more after Neotoma's admission, casually waved off the other's concerns of the sandstorms with a smile.

"I'm not going to venture too far, Neo. I'm just going for a little wander, maybe get a spot of lunch somewhere - obviously I'll have to get Imogen something, she'll only moan at me incessantly for it," the King grunted in realisation, even though he already knew he wanted to get his girlfriend something special after her recent downturn in health. "I, uh-- don't really have any cash, though. You know, Harenaen currency, anyway - I'll pay you back when we get back to Ignis, promise."

"I- okay, sure. I don't have much left after the bar, so you can't get something nice like a ring, but that's alright, yeah?" Neotoma replied warily, rummaging through his bag to find the last bit of cash he had. Through his adventures, he had gone years without relying too much on cash. It wasn't until the last few months that he ran out, hence him taking the job as a servant. It didn't pay much and that wasn't a problem at the time, but to now work with a King who had no concept of money, it was a bit harder to manage.

"Just be back soon, two hours tops. If you aren't, I'm sure you'll look like a fool having a halfling like me come and find you," he teased with a smile as he handed over the cash. The coins were a bit rusty and old but they worked just as fine, he thought.

"We'll be here, most likely. Just be safe and don't let anyone bother you, yeah?"

"I think I'll manage okay - you're so adorable, you know? Nobody's really cared about me this much, Imogen and perhaps Themus aside. It's cute," the King grinned, resisting the urge to continue the affection from the night before with a kiss or two. He wanted to make sure the feelings between them continued to blossom, but doing so in front of the other's mother and step-father didn't seem like the wisest of options - he didn't want to embarrass him, and he definitely didn't want to sour the impression he was leaving on the parents when he already had the hunch they disliked him.

Instead, he offered a smile and headed out to explore the village properly for himself. He'd have preferred to go out with Neotoma, of course, but he realised that private time with his family was probably best without him there, intruding... though he did want to take the other up on the offer of heading out later in the night to spend some time together. The trip had already been worthwhile when it came to their friendship, but he wanted to at least attempt to encourage the growth of their romantic relationship too.

Although, when he returned to the small home when he had exhausted himself strolling around, exploring all the unique shops the village boasted, any chance of him even contemplating anything romantic with Neotoma had disappeared. He entered the home visibly upset, albeit with the obvious simmering anger lingering just under the surface. He was struggling to keep himself from snapping, his fists clenched tightly at his sides and his jaw clenched as he firmly kept his eyes on the floor, knowing he might not cope if he looked at the halfling directly.

"...We need to go back to Ignis tonight, Neotoma, so I recommend collecting your things this instant and say your goodbyes. I... I'm in no mood to argue with you; I'll drag you out of here if I need to, and I'm sure that'd just upset your mother and siblings, so let's not cause a fuss," he began as calmly as he could, breathing out slowly when feeling himself grow angrier again. "...I can explain everything in the carriage, so don't question me right now or I... I won't be able to react without losing my shit, alright?"

The few hours that Lysander was gone was nice, spent reconnecting with his mother and building a bond with his stepfather. Hell, he even was able to spend some time with his siblings even if he wasn't really a fan of children like everyone around him seemed to be. He was given some extra goods from his mother to take back to Ignis including some of his favorite meals and a homemade anklet that she had kept in case her son returned, she was more than a little excited to finally be able to gift it.

He was happily chatting with his parents enjoying a cup of tea when the King seemed to storm in, clearly upset. While Lysander's anger wasn't subtle, neither was Neotoma's confusion. He had planned on staying for at least another day so to suddenly be ripped from the trip was a bit confusing, especially when he wasn't sure how to explain it to his parents that he had just managed to reconnect with. He offered them both an apologetic smile, giving as much infornation he could before offering his mother a kiss on the cheek, writing the address for where he was staying in Ignis for his mother to write.

"I'm sorry, mama. I promise I'll be back soon, it just seems like Lysander needs to leave now. His girlfriend is really sick so I'm thinking that's probably what it is," he quickly explained as he tried to get his things together, watching as Mar'kesh offered him a handful of coins. His cheeks flushed at the sight, knowing that his mother certainly wasn't rich. He didn't need to say anything to show his appreciation other than a tight hug, unsure of when it would be the next time they would meet. Once saying some final goodbyes to his siblings, he would occasionally glance at Lysander and his stormy mood.

"... what happened? Did someone bother you while you were out?" The halfling finally asked once stepping out the small home after his goodbyes and gathering his things. "I would like to think we're leaving because something happened and not because of my mother."

Even though he felt like he could breathe again once out of the hut, even despite the fierce wind that had picked up, the rage he still felt building didn't make him feel any better - simply because everything Neotoma said and did right now did little other than to piss him off. Beyond that, he was just upset, even annoyed at himself that he had brought Neotoma in, trusted him enough to even meet Imogen and work on making her better, liked him enough to want to take their friendship to another level.

Now he just felt betrayed and even horrified by his own idiocy in trusting the halfling so much when, he learned, there was more than met the eye when it came to him.

"...I was out earlier, just exploring the place, and I came across someone wearing clothes with the symbol of Pruina on them, asking people where to find you. Now, I thought that this was a friend of yours from your travels, that I could reunite you with; I thought it'd be cute and I'd be helping you out. Apparently, he was the Queen's messenger and wanted you to know that he required a meeting with you, to discuss your little spying mission some more. The messenger said you'd quit it, but if you think that'll make everything okay between us, you're a fucking idiot, Neotoma," he began carefully, choosing his words to try and keep a remnant of control about him. Though, once the revelation left his lips, he found that he only grew angrier at the realisation that the other was -or had been- a spy.

"I... let you into my close circle, I... I let you meet Imogen. Did you tell that bitch about her, too? That I have a sick girlfriend who I'd give everything to save? I'm sure she'll use my vulnerability against me, hm? I... I told you all my plans, I let you in on everything," he hissed, his jaw clenched tighter as he strode through the sand, fortunately having arranged for the carriage to meet closer to the village to avoid travelling too long in the sandstorm. Only marginally relaxing once in the safety of the carriage, he almost recoiled when realising Neotoma had to sit in the same enclosed space as him fro hours. He didn't need to take him back to Ignis, of course - but it was better than leaving him in his home, where he could reveal all the King's plans.

"You know that this is punishable by death, don't you? In my kingdom, I'd happily behead anyone that did something this treacherous to me. I killed my own parents just to have my throne, Neotoma. Sending a traitor like you to have their head chopped off won't bother me too much."

"I-... I-I... I understand," Neotoma replied cautiously, his eyes avoiding Lysander's. "Yes, I was hired to be a spy for the Queen. She used me because I'm disposable and I needed money so I could start my research again and get out of Pruina b-because it was bad for my health. I didn't know this was going to happen, I just - when I realized how nice you all were to me, and how much I really liked Ingis as a whole, i-I didn't want to do that anymore."

He climbed into the carriage reluctantly and was wholeheartedly ready to jump out and run, but the mention of death only made him pale and stay. He avoided facing Lysander, his stomach churning in anxiety. He could have easily thrown Themus under the bus and tell him that the scientist helped him but it instantly made him feel bad, evident by him slowly sinking in his seat.

"So you're going to kill me then?" He confirmed meekly, his accent heavy and his voice croaking.

The voice cracking and clear anxiousness did cause the demon to cringe, almost feeling a twinge of guilt settle in when he first felt responsible for the other's discomfort... though all he had to do was remind himself that Neotoma was a spy and brought it all on himself for that guilt to disappear. He had no reason to trust the other now, perfectly reasonable in doubting every experience they had shared together - for all he knew, every moment they shared had been forced and false, just so the halfling could get close to him and disclose any information he learned to the Queen he had been working for.

Though the sight of him growing emotional wasn't easy, he couldn't just forget about the betrayal and deception when he had grown close as he had to Neotoma. If anything, the betrayal hurt more because of that, and not punishing him as he would anyone else would be a betrayal to his entire kingdom. Hell, there had been people killed for treason before - not punishing Neotoma in that way wasn't just or fair.

"...I'll put you in the cells until I decide. I don't know if I want to kill you, I... I should do that without hesitation, but I'll... talk to Imogen and Themus first. See what they think about the situation because they're as much victims of your deceit as I am. Themus was working alongside you, and Imogen-- she doesn't get to meet new people, she's too sick to leave bed most the time. Do you realise how much I liked you to trust you to meet her? I-- I can't promise you'll survive this, but it's what you deserve for being a backstabbing, treacherous little bastard, hm?"

"Okay," was his quick response. His claws began to tap together and it was clear that he was on the verge of tears. He always knew he was disposable but he hadn't actually expected to be tossed aside like he was. He did the whole mission for the money and to be able to discover Ignis. The fact that he had spent years dedicating his life away from family only for said life to be cut short made him ill.

"I won't be able to finish my life's work," he whispered, his voice croaking once again. The idea only caused him to edge towards a full on panic attack. "I've spent - I've spent so long on this, i-I can't just not finish it. Everything would be useless, all that effort and time would have been wasted. If - I just - if you're going to kill me, please just let me finish my work, that's all that matters.If I can finish my studies and be able to track Ignis's flora and fauna, I won't mind being hanged. I- you d-don't understand how important this is, Lysander." He stammered, his cheeks now stained in clear fear. He rummaged through his bag, pulling out the many books he kept in his surprisingly sturdy bag he made. "I can't let all of this be useless."

"What makes you think I'm remotely interested in your research? I was, I really found it intriguing and I wanted you to educate me, but why should I give a shit now everything you've done has been a lie? If you think I'm doing you a favour, you really are an idiot. I-- I am trying so hard not to hurt you right now, don't you get that? If you did, you'd shut up and wait until we got back before crying about this. You can do all the pathetic wailing you want in the dungeons - though why you think you have a right to be upset is astounding to me."

With that, the demon turned away slightly to avoid spending the journey acknowledging the other's presence. He wanted to admit that he was far more upset than he was angry, that the betrayal had hurt him emotionally more than anything else had recently, but he knew he had a reputation to uphold and, in many ways, it was easier detaching himself from his sadness and focusing instead on the burning anger.

He stayed that way for hours, eventually getting to sleep to avoid glancing at Neotoma and feeling his sadness return. Upon returning to Ignis, he wasted no time in heading straight into the castle and ordering his guards to escort Neotoma to the cells, not turning back to look at him whilst they did. Instead, he sent a maid to fetch Themus whilst he headed to his bedroom, where the sight of Imogen immediately made him far more happier than he had been in hours - though, when his anger disappeared, the sadness still remained and he all but let the cold facade fade, replaced by afar more vulnerable body posture.

"I-- Neotoma's a spy," he immediately blurted, before he even had a chance to greet the other; a fault he became aware of and made up for by climbing onto the bed and leaning in for a kiss. "I missed you, lots actually. I... got you a gift, I just-- can't focus on that right now. He's been... collecting information about me, Imogen. He's working for Pruina, I... don't know how to handle this."

Suffering from chronic fatigue, it wasn't a surprise that Imogen had been sleeping underneath her thick blankets despite the scorching heat of Ignis that most wouldn't be able to handle. Once fact, most days Imogen felt freezing, her body unable to make proper heat in her sickly state. She only stirred upon hearing the door swing open rather than the careful tiptoeing of her maids. Once hearing Lysander's panicked and broken voice, she did her best to show she's was alert by at least sitting up a bit - all she could do without getting dizzy and inevitably getting sick in the bedpan.

"Lysander, slow down." She demanded firstly, her arms and legs immediately entangling with the King's to happily enjoy the embrace. Her condition was bad, though not the worst it had ever been, so having him gone for days only made her miss her boyfriend more as was evident by her ignoring her aching body and giving the other a tight squeeze.

"I'm a bit surprised," she admitted in a murmur, burying her head in the other's chest affectionately. "That halfling seems so pathetic, the Queen of Pruina must be an idiot if she thought that he would be a good spy. Is he in the dungeon? I don't know if I'll be well enough to watch an execution but maybe I coulda set up a chair to watch from the window, yeah?" She drawled dismissively. Imogen make connections well and to ha had always been difficult trusting people, the fact that her friendship was limited to her brother, her childhood friend and one of the many nurses was proof of that. Seeing Neotoma only heightened her anxiety in the stranger and was almost disgusted by just how eager the two men in her life were to accept the halfling.

Imogen's casual response and apparent eagerness to see the halfling executed didn't come as a surprise, having already assumed that his girlfriend would feel that way, but from how tight his chest suddenly felt, he knew that wasn't the choice he wanted to make a reality. He wanted Neotoma to remain alive and for his punishment to not be as severe as death, but letting the treason slide was hardly fair on all the others who had been put to death for similar crimes - and when he came to the throne, being fair had been something he wanted to remain true to.

Choosing to ignore a crime like treason for one person he was close to while others had hanged or been beheaded didn't feel right and while nobody needed to know of Neotoma's crimes, the decision would remain with him for the rest of his life, and he wasn't sure he could feel confident as King if he hadn't stayed fair and just.

Themus burst into the room before he had a chance to tell Imogen that, the physician evidently furious once the news of Neotoma's arrest had reached his ears - albeit because he demanded why Lysander had disturbed him from his work.

"You can't arrest him, you can't have him killed either - he fucking quit, didn't he? He felt bad, he didn't know we were decent people-- release him, Lysander, this isn't-- it's not right--"

"...When did you hear he quit? I don't recall telling anyone that, I only told Imogen a minute ago-- you knew, didn't you? He-- He told you? You knew he was a spy and you-- what? You just went along with it without telling me or your sister?" Lysander blurted in disbelief, a smile on his face in bewilderment, his confusion only confirmed at the panic on Themus' expression when he realised he had landed himself in trouble. "...You withheld information pertaining a traitor, Themus - that's also punishable by death, so--"

"You can't send everyone to death, that's barbaric. And insane, actually. Just-- Just release Neotoma, he's my assistant and our friend, so-- tell him, Imogen. You know he's being childish."

"You're not sending Themus to death, Lysander. Am I disappointed by the fact that he didn't tell us? Of course I am, but he's your friend, my brother, and the royal physician. If you put Themus to death, you and I both know that I wouldn't be too far behind." Imogen replied firmly. Even in her sickly state, Imogen knew when to put her foot down and act like the Queen she knew she was, even if not legally. She would babble on about all the things Lysander was doing wrong to her personal maid and how she could easily fix it, but no one would look at a sickly demon and think of someone who could be in power.

"What we're going to do is keep this under wraps. We can interrogate Neotoma and she how much damage he's done, then decide what to do. We can't just carelessly declare execution Willy-nilly, do you know how we'll be seen by our subjects if we do that? Do you way to reign like your parents, Lysander? We want to have a better relationship with the people of Ignis and killing off anyone who betrays is without proper knowledge is cruel and scare them. Fear leads to revolution." She reminded as she slowly sat up.

"If I don't punish the halfling as severely as I would anyone else, that wouldn't sit right with me, Imogen. I want to be fair and if people have been sent to death for behaviour the halfling has himself displayed, there shouldn't be an argument, should there? It doesn't matter whether he passed on a little or a lot of information; he still came into this castle with the wrong intentions, as a fucking spy; the death penalty is required or I won't be a fair King who treats everyone equally, will I?" The demon retorted sternly, the idea that he would let Neotoma have a pass when others had hanged for similar crimes making him cringe. Nobody needed to know about Neotoma, but he knew that didn't matter; he would know and it would eat away at him that he had chosen to spare someone he happened to be close to, rather than treat everyone equally as he had promised himself when he came to the throne.

Nobody ought to be exempt from punishment just because they happened to be his friend, however much he liked and cared for Neotoma. Because he liked him so much, he was trying to avoid using his name to spare himself the hurt he felt everytime he talked about the other in familiar, personal terms.

"...I'm putting my foot down on this, alright? Themus has withheld information and he'll be docked wages for it, but Neotoma's crime is more severe and... and I'll have him sent to the gallows for it. It's a statement, Imogen. He can't spy on our kingdom and ruin our plans without consequence - anyone else would have been killed for it, and he's no different," he finally decided, albeit quietly in genuine horror at the decision he had arrived at. He felt it was the only choice he had, but that didn't mean he felt enthusiastic or comfortable with it. if anything, he grew pale and found himself frowning, even if he knew that turning back on the decision would just create more moral issues for him he didn't want to have to deal with for years upon years on end. "...We can interrogate him, and depending on how helpful and honest he is, I can... I can at least make his death less painful. The less he discloses, the worse it'll be for him; it should be an incentive for him to open up, right?"

"You're acting as if there's been a spy here. This is literally the first time this has happened, how can you act as if there's a precedent set? You came into reign insisting everything would be different from your parents, yet you're following in their footsteps? You're going to be stubborn about this, then fine. I'm not going to stop you from making yourself feel bad and losing our possible surrogate, Lysander. I just think you're being incredibly stupid," Imogen replied bluntly as her eyes landed on her brother's, a growing frown on her own lips.

"You seem to be really attached to Neotoma. I couldn't care less about his physical well-being but I do care about yours and I think doing this would be bad for your health. Like I said, I can't tell you what to do. I will say you should let him sit in the dungeons for a day or two at the very least before talking to him, and take away all of his nerdy things."