Darkest Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eluchon smiled, reassuring and nodded. "Of course, Princess. I will see to it that he's not disturbed and if he seems to be in distress, I will wake him." The guard didn't quite know why, but the was already a great deal fond of the younger elf. He would be sure to do all he could in making sure Kana slept as much as he was able.

------

Kana didn't wake until late afternoon the next day. Eluchon and Elidi had taken turns watching over him so the other could sleep, but the Dark Elf hadn't stirred for good or ill, and now that he was waking, he felt both better and worse than he had before he went to sleep. His mind felt better for the sleep, more aware, but his body was protesting him even moving, clearly telling him that it didn't think a night and half a day of sleep was nearly penance enough for the hell he'd put it through.

But it was also hungry...so it would cooperate...for now.

Kana rose from the bed and didn't really realize that someone was in the room until he nearly ran into them. Eluchon's voice was calm, quiet when the Prince started. "Easy, Ekanath, easy. It's all right." He set his hand gently on the Dark Elf's shoulders, steadying him and gold eyes blinked into blue owlishly for a moment before recognition ignited and Kana smiled a little. "Oh...hi."

Eluchon chuckled. "Good afternoon, your highness. Might I recommend a wash before you meet Princess Elidi for a late lunch?"

Kana merely nodded and then made his way to the washroom with Eluchon shaking his head behind him before going to the door and hailing down a servant, telling them to inform Elidi that the Dark Elf was awake.

"Thank you," Elidi smiled. She gave Kana one last kiss on the forehead, knowing she could trust Eluchon, before slowly standing from the bed. She gave the guard a small bow of respect before heading to get ready for dinner, dressing in a simple emerald green dress and brushing her hair before making her way to the feast. She explained to her family what had happened, telling them that the Dark Elf Prince needed to rest. All of them understood; the King still felt guilty for not knowing what had been going on for so long, but with his wife's hand on his own, he relaxed and turned his attention to enjoy the meal.

After the feast had been settled, Elidi went back to Ekanath's room, figuring that they wouldn't be able to tell of their relationship that night. Her and Eluchon took turns watching over Ekanath during the night, and it was only in the late afternoon of the next day when the Prince finally woke.

Elidi was visiting the townsfolk when a guard had found her, informing her of the Dark Elf's wake and she smiled, thanking the guard before finishing her painting on the stone walkways with a few children, which took about fifteen minutes even though it should have only taken about five considering the small elven children didn't want her to leave.

When she finally arrived at the palace, she washed her hands twice, but there was still a very thin sheet of blue tainting her flesh. Then she made her way to Ekanath's room, wondering if he was in a good state or not.

A wash worked to wake Kana up a bit more and getting into clean clothes felt better than he thought it would. The Dark Elf still felt a bit hazy, but when Eluchon questioned when he'd last eaten, the reason for his fuzzy thought process became a bit clearer to the Prince. He really couldn't remember the last time he'd eaten. He'd been too tired, too stressed to do more than take a bite of something here and there. He said as much to the guard in a quiet way and Eluchon chuckled.

"Well, that explains a lot. Come on, let's get you fed."

He stood from his chair, beckoning the Dark Elf to rise as well and the Prince did so with a sigh. He could have gone back to sleep right then, but Eluchon was looking at him expectantly and he knew he was going to have to comply. They had made their way out the door when Kana felt a familiar tug and he looked toward Elidi. A smile came to his face instantly, gold eyes lighting up and he moved toward the Princess and didn't hesitate for a moment to pull her into his arms kiss her head, relaxing all over again.

"Hi." he whispered in her ear.

There he was. All bathed and dressed and ready to go, even if he still looked a bit tired. Elidi smiled to herself and when Kana turned to look at her, his expression lit up instantly and that made her incredibly happy. She hugged him back, smiling as her arms wrapped around him tightly and she felt a kiss to her head. Behind Kana she saw Eluchon, to whom she smiled and gave a small nod, thanking him silently once more. At the whisper to her ear, she chuckled and leaned in close to his.

"Hey there," she whispered back. And then she pulled away after sneaking a kiss to his cheek. "How are you feeling?" one of her hands came up to caress his cheek, wiping away the damp white hairs that clung to his face.

"Better than I was. Hungry." he answered simply and Kana smiled again at her touch, leaning into it a little as his own hand came up to catch her fingers, placing a kiss at her fingertips before blinked, looking at her entire hand with amusement. Blue. Why in the world...

A white brow rose. "Care to explain?"

Eluchon snorted, knowing well the answer for everyone knew of the Princess' habit of painting with the town's children and he moved past the two, beckoning. "Explain on the way." He gave Elidi a look. "He hasn't been eating either."

Kana looked at the guard's back with an exasperated expression. Tattle-tale.

Reactions: catalyst
Elidi smiled a bit and nodded, finding that she was hungry as well considering she spent the last few hours in town and had only had a few grapes and a piece of bread for a snack. When Kana kissed her fingertips and then blinked at the color of her hands, his brow raising, she laughed a bit and looked to Eluchon with a knowing smile. Then she looked back to the Prince, raising her eyebrow this time when she was informed he hadn't been eating.

"I haven't eaten either. Let's have lunch together," she smiled and brushed her hand against his own before heading down the hall and towards the dining area. On the way, as they turned to pass a corner, they ran into Ascal and the older Prince smiled at the sight of her sister and Ekanath.

"Ekanath! We haven't been graced with your presence for a while," he smiled playfully. "How are you feeling? Better, I assume?" Elidi looked to Kana with a smile, her and Eluchon there if he needed the support.

She didn't explain where the blue came from, but Kana found he didn't mind, able to guess at least that it was from some kind of dye or paint. He'd ask again later when he was thinking more clearly, perhaps after food.

The Dark Elf walked beside Elidi, falling in beside Eluchon and it was the guard who put a reassuring hand on Kana's back when Ascal suddenly came into view, feeling the tension that rippled through the Prince before he seemed to remind himself to release it. Ascal had never hurt him and his words were friendly. It was something Kana had to actively draw his attention toward and once he'd done that, he found he steadied again and was able to smile back at the other Prince, the expression small and tired, but there.

"I'm feeling better, yes." Kana replied simply, knowing that he could have elaborated, but still hesitant about talking overmuch with Elidi's family. Eluchon took the conversation from there, bowing slightly, respectfully to the Light Prince. "We were on our way to the kitchens. Would your majesty care to join us?"

Elidi would have mentioned, rather explained where the blue came from, the the sudden presence of her brother surprised her and her mind lost track of its path as he spoke to Kana. Now that things had died down and he learned of Kana's past, Ascal was more intent on observing the Dark Prince and listening to him; so as he tensed, Ascal caught it - just barely - and waited patiently.

At hearing that the other prince was feeling better, though, Ascal smiled. It really was good to hear that he was doing better, and hearing that they were on their way to eat, the older prince shook his head politely. "I'm afraid I cannot. I have to go meet Father in the study to go over new patrol boundaries. Plus, I already ate. But thank you." He smiled and brought Elidi in to give her a hug and kiss her cheek before noticing her blue tinted hands. "Painting with the children again?" he chuckled and she smiled, nodding in reply before he said his farewell to all three of them and moving down the hall.

"There's your explanation..." Elidi said, turning to Kana with a small smile as they continued their way.

Kana chuckled, looking back at her hands again as they continued on their way. They arrived in the kitchens shortly after and the cooks were happy to give them food. The three moved to a small dining area then and as they ate, the Dark Elf felt his mind wake up a little more and his body was grateful for what he was finally giving it...even if it was going to soon tell him it was ready for sleep again.

They spoke of the painting Elidi had done and then Eluchon told them stories about the various, and strange, jobs he'd had around the palace on occasion. It was lighthearted and fun, and when Kana went back to his room, he fell asleep happy and with plans to come to dinner that night with Elidi's family where they would then tell them about their love for one another.

-----

Kana knew he was slightly late as he made his way toward the dining hall, but Eluchon had been made to badger him out of bed - playfully - and now the Prince yawned a little as he moved down the hall, but he wasn't entirely out of it anymore and when he entered the hall he was straight-backed and confident; the Prince he was. He gave a bow to the Kind and Queen as his presence drew attention.

"Your majesties, I am sorry for my lateness. I was held up."

Well, sort of....

The lunch went swell. It was lighthearted and fun and one that Elidi knew she could count on happening again. She was more than happy Ekanath finally ate for when everything was finished, he seemed much more livelier. They all did, really. Her and the Dark Elf then agreed to finally tell the King and Queen about their relationship later on that night, and as Kana went to nap until supper, Elidi spent time catching up and playing with her brothers.

When the sun finally started to set and gave an array of yellow, orange, and pink skies, Elidi dressed in a more casual, but still tasteful attire. Everybody was already in the dining hall when Kana finally arrived, but no one really minded that he was late. After all, it wasn't by much. He was greeted with friendly smiles, and when he apologized, the King grinned and dismissed it with a small wave of his hand.

"Bah! That is quite all right, Prince. Please, sit down," he suggested, motioning to the empty chair between Elidi and Hasterien.

"We're all very glad to know that you're feeling better," the Queen said with a smile as she met Kana's eyes.

Kana dipped his head again to the King, unsure how to be anything but formal with the higher ranking monarch and he gave a brief smile to the Queen because she reminded him greatly of his own mother and her smile set him a bit at ease. He took the seat between Elidi and Hasterien and while he greeted the Light Prince kindly, his smile and warmth was for Elidi and he touched her hand gently underneath the table in greeting.

The meal commenced then for a time, different topics being discussed and Kana found himself relaxing a little more, watching everyone and then turning his attention back to Elidi with a questioning look as the night moved on. Dinner and desert had come and gone and everyone was rising to move into the sitting room. As they filed out, Kana caught Elidi's hand and held her back for just a moment, his voice quiet in her ear.

"I love you and no matter what happens, I will continue to love you." He looked into her eyes and his fingers grazed her cheek lovingly for just a moment before they were forced to follow the others lest someone wonder what was keeping them and look back.

Elidi would have smiled at the greeting by Ekanath, but she had to stay formal and instead smiled mentally at the cooler temperature of his hand. She gave it a light squeeze before the meal began and everybody spoke. Several different topics were out in the open and Elidi was glad that the Dark Elf soon relaxed around everyone. They all ate their dinner and their dessert, and the Princess caught the opposite Prince's look as everyone began to rise to move to the living room.

Pausing as the male elf caught her hand, she smiled at his words and leaned into his touch before they moved on in. She only returned his notion with a look that seemed to say, 'It'll be okay.'

As they filed in the room, everyone sat down except for Hasterien who leaned against a wall near the couches. Elidi paused and looked to Kana, a wave of hesitance hitting her as she began to feel nervous. She looked to him as if saying, 'Now?'

Kana nodded subtly to the female elf and then he directed his attention to her surrounding family. He felt nervous, very much so, but he had some faith that what he was about to tell the King, Queen and two Princes would not be received with a great deal of negativity. Yes, he was technically an enemy Prince, but he'd been granted his freedom, had saved Elidi not once but twice and...his people hadn't made any threats on Sanesia in years. Perhaps this would be seen as an opportunity to start making peace between their peoples.

So, with a deep breath, Kana spoke as steadily as he was able, taking one last look at Elidi as if drawing strength from her.

"King Thorontur, Queen Nakiasha, I have something of great importance that I must speak with you about." Seeing that he had their attention, the Dark Elf went on. "I concerns your daughter. As you know, I am her Guardian and I would do anything to protect her. I do this out of fate's design, duty, but also for...love. I love you daughter and I have for some time now. I have given her my heart and she has given me hers."

Gold eyes looked at Elidi then and Kana could not help but smile even if his stomach felt like a knot inside him. He took her hand in his, interlacing their fingers and then looked back at the King and Queen, Elidi's brothers. "It is my desire to marry Elidi at some point in the future. I can not imagine a life without her....and I would beseech your approval, your blessing in this."

Once she received the nod, Elidi stood by Ekanath's side - not too close - and looked to her family. She knew her and the Dark Elf were both nervous (how could they not be?) but she also had faith that her family would be supportive, at least somewhat. As her love drew a deep breath and looked at her one last time, she nodded to him reassuringly and then they both looked to her family who were a bit confused and staring at the two, wondering what they were about to announce.

The Light King and Queen looked directly to the Dark Prince as he addressed them and they frowned slightly when he started speaking about Elidi. But soon they realized there was nothing wrong, and as they continued to listen (along with Ascal and Hasterien who were both extremely curious) they glanced between their daughter and Ekanath.

At his confession, the King raised his eyebrows in disbelief as he leaned back in the chair, looking to his wife who seemed a bit shocked herself but not so much as Ascal or her husband. Ascal was looking between his sister and her love, smiling a bit as he first thought it was a joke, but then... how could it be? They were both serious, and Elidi had a warm smile on her face as they held each other's hand and Kana continued speaking. Hasterien had a smile on his face like he knew all along.

They were all quiet for a long while as they absorbed this new information, but it wasn't a harsh silence. Perhaps a bit awkward, at the most. Nakiasha looked at her daughter and then the Dark Elf curiously and it was then that she fully absorbed everything, that she knew Ekanath's words had been sincere and honest and full of love and Elidi returned that same love. A warm smile appeared on her face and she looked to her husband who was still trying to digest the information.

Then the Princess spoke.

"Father, Mother... brothers," she looked to each of them with a hopeful smile. "I love Ekanath just as much as he loves me. We wish to marry some day and we'd both be very grateful for your blessings." She squeezed his hand lightly.

"Well!" Nakiasha spoke first, standing up and taking a step forward towards her daughter and Kana. "You have my blessing, child," she spoke, kissing Elidi's forehead and then turning to Kana, a smile still on her face. "And so do you."

The King stood then, a bit of grumbling along the way but not directed towards anybody. He took a deep breath, the idea of his baby girl getting married... it was a shock, but he had become fond of Ekanath. "You are welcome in our home, Ekanath. And I pray that you take of my daughter, for you have my blessing as well." He bowed his head slightly and Elidi grinned, hugging her father in joy.

Kana could feel his heart pound in the silence and he knew Elidi's was doing the same even if it was not as fast as his own. He held on to her hand tightly, wondering as he looked from face to face, what they would say, do. Ascal was already smiling, but then the Crown Prince stopped, obviously realizing they were serious and Kana looked away from him quickly, feeling his stomach drop before his eyes met Hasterien's sightless ones. The blind elf already knew, already approved and the Dark Elf took some comfort from that, but his head snapped around again as Nakiasha spoke.

Her words made Kana smile in shaky hope and he nodded to her gratefully when she looked toward him, unable to form words at this point. And then Thorontur stood and the Prince froze, watching him, feeling like he couldn't breathe and he had to vaguely wonder if that was a normal reaction or not. When the King spoke, though, his words made Kana stare at him, hardly daring to believe it and the Dark Elf realized in that moment that he'd expected to be refused completely. To find acceptance instead...it made his head spin and he looked between Thorontur, Nakiasha, Elidi and Hasterien, trying to comprehend the smiles he was seeing.

He slowly looked toward Ascal then, noting that he was the only one who hadn't reacted and Kana felt that same vice-like feeling again. Perhaps the biggest change would be for the Light Prince. He would rule after his father and if Kana regained his own throne...they had the potential to heal their land or destroy it. In truth, most of that decision hinged on this moment of acceptance or denial.

Elidi felt like she could pass out right there. Not knowing what her family's reaction were going to be had her head swirling, her heart pounding, and her body on edge. But.... they had all approved. They all really approved! And not just that, but her mother and father gave them their blessings! And Hasterien... Hasterien she knew approved as well and her heart swelled with joy. There was only one person who hadn't really reacted, and that was Ascal.

The Princess looked to her eldest brother then, her eyes light and warm as they caught his. His hand rested on his chin and then he stood up after a few seconds looking between his younger sister and the Dark Elf. And then he raised his left arm, moved it slowly towards Kana and paused when he was about halfway, meeting the male's golden eyes and getting acceptance before his hand rested firmly on the Dark Elf's left shoulder, much like he had done before when Ekanath first rescued Elidi and returned home with her.

"Take care of my sister.... Brother," he smirked a bit, held his stance and then lifted his hand away to go back to his side. Everybody had been watching with tense bodies - Hasterien had felt it - but when Ascal had done something far from a negative reaction, Elidi let out a deep breath of relief and hugged her brother tightly, their parents smiling.

"Now... when are you two going to find wives?" Nakiasha remarked, turning to her two eldest children with a teasing smile. Her husband and daughter laughed and while Hasterien chimed in with another remark, Elidi looked to Ekanath with a warm smile.

(( Hmm, for some reason Sefarana and Ascal pairings are flashing through me mind... ))

Kana finally felt the vice around his entire being loosen and he smiled, truly so, at Ascal, nodding. He could hardly believe it. He was accepted...by everyone here. He could love Elidi freely, openly. He could marry her! The Dark Elf felt joy flood through his system quite suddenly and when Elidi smiled at him, he smiled back and wrapped his arms around her, lifting her up slightly and spinning her around with a laugh, a true laugh of happiness.

Setting her on her feet again, he cupped her face and rested his forehead to her own for just a moment, eyes closing as he simply let the peace he felt settle, soak into him. He opened his eyes after a moment and looked to Elidi's family, gold eyes radiating the appreciation he felt for their approval when he'd expected to find none.

"Thank you for this treasure you have given me, this gift beyond measure. I will cherish her always."

(( OMG. I totally thought that when I was typing my reply!! Hahah ))

Elidi joined in with the happy laughter as her love picked her up and swirled her around. She was beyond happy. She was elated; she could openly love her Moon Guardian, her Dark Elf, her Kana. There were no more worries of taking risks or being found out.

As she was set down on her feet again, she smiled, still giggling a bit as the Dark Elf rested his forehead against hers. She kissed his nose lightly before he opened his eyes and turned to their family, who watched with with approval and a new-found happiness.

"You have proven yourself to us many times over, my boy," Thorontur said, smiling at his daughter's soon-to-be husband. "We know you will cherish her for the rest of your days."

"Thank you, for asking for our blessings," Nakiasha spoke. As a mother, planning the wedding was already reeling inside her mind, but she knew she had to wait to figure out exactly what Elidi and Ekanath wanted.

"We are very happy for you two," Hasterien chimed in with a smile as he stood and made his way carefully over to his mother.

(( Well, then it's a done deal! LOL ))

Kana merely continued to smile. When it came to people he didn't exactly know, he was quiet and even more-so because while he would get better, he wasn't there yet and there was some irrational part of him that still feared he'd screw up somehow and everyone before him would suddenly turn against him in the blink of an eye. He knew it was unfounded, that it didn't make any sense, but the couldn't shake the feeling deep down inside him and so he remained inwardly cautious, not wanting to set anyone off.

Still, he was happy in the moment as he turned his eyes back to Elidi and he ran his fingers through her hair. "I will send word to my family."

Kana looked to Thorontur then and while he asked his question with confidence...there was some uncertainty in his eyes. He knew that what he now asked would be...trying to say the least. "Your Highness, might I request that my family be allowed to visit? I do not wish to leave Elidi, nor take her away from her home again so soon after she has come back, but neither would I keep my own family in the dark about this."

As things stood now, Kana's family could leave Dynasha and still have the Nobles rule in their stead for a time. In the end, King Thorontur held the true authority and that wouldn't change.

(( Really? Hahah that'd be cool. I didn't say anything at first 'cause I didn't know if it'd be awkward or something. ))

Elidi smiled and nodded to Kana's words. His family... oh, how splendid it would be to see them again. She only hoped that they would accept her as his bride as her family had accepted him, though she had a feeling the Dark Queen and little Nayali would be very happy with the news.

She looked to her father when Ekanath did and licked her lips at his question. Wait... what exactly did his words entail? She knew that she needed to stay home and be with her family, but was he saying that even the wedding would be held here? She shook away the thoughts since they were too heavy and complex to think about. For the moment, she kept her attention on the present and smiled a bit at her father as he thought over the Dark Prince's question.

"It'd be a step towards true peace, Papa," she said, the term of endearment she used wasn't very often. She looked to him hopefully as she still held onto Kana's hand.

Thorontur looked to her daughter and was a held a bit back at her words, finding them to be truer than anything. She still surprised him, even to this day, and he took in a deep breath before exhaling, his wife nudging him to convince him a bit more.

"Your family may visit," he smiled a bit. "After all, they are your parents and siblings, the family of my daughter's fiancee. They are welcome in Sanesia," he nodded his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.