Dark Souls/Bloodborne Inspired Roleplay (Pending in Name)

C

Cloudburst

Original poster
Greetings, I am Cloudburst.

As stated, this is pending in name. So, for now, we shall call it Project Pardoner. Speaking of pardoning, hopefully you can forgive the crippling abundance of commas that will likely be littered throughout this post. I write to emulate my speech patterns- slow with a decent bit of pauses peppered where they shouldn't be. Afore we begin, I will say the following: Most roleplays I have been in have either ended in people inexplicably losing interest or myself leaving it for the better of the roleplay, so it will be no blow to any form of morale if there is no support for this idea.

Now, we take a light plunge into expository via character.

I meet you, noble Brand. I am Pardoner Ariette, and serve you in the Wild Hunt. However, I must inform you of your learned malediction. Unlike the peoples of the First Circle, you have something unique writhing within you. A soul, much like my own. You may not return to the First Circle ever again, I fear. Her Radiance would surely see you yourself hunted for heresy. Your new home is here. The Cathedral Wall of the Third Circle. You shan't be harmed within these walls, and you may still continue on your quest, if you would remember it; with a soul, you needn't fear death any longer, and the dregs that once plagued you can be alleviated by my touch.

What will you do, noble Brand? Take up arms in the lower circles? Or will you stay with me and learn of the truth? The choice is yours.

Now, onto a short synopsis of the above text, with a glossary. Words in bold get an entry in said glossary, and anything else will be answered if questions are asked.

Writers will be taking the role of Brands of the Church that were chosen to participate in the Wild Hunt for Aemairil. Upon the start of this hunt, the church had taught the Brands the art of Plunging, which had allowed them to breach the veil of the First Circle and begin their pursuit of the rouge paragon. When some brands had began to plunge into the Second Circle and beyond, they had vanished, and some had returned with something they called a "soul". These brands were exiled and forced to continue their hunt, and if they were ever to return, the church would see them smitten by Her Radiance. Some, however, refused to return or kept their gift a secret, and were met with Pardoners that had met the same fate. In secret, they vowed to see the hunt completed, by any means necessary. The only thing to impede them if their agency was kept would be the Dregs that burrowed from the lower circles in search of humans to call hosts, and souls to call their own.

• Brands of the Church: The faction of the church that is responsible for the Wild Hunt. They are composed of knights, scholars, pardoners and other brave souls that sought to retrieve Aemairil.
  • The Wild Hunt: Declared in the year 1 AA (After Aemairil), the Wild Hunt is focused on pursuing Aemairil and bringing them back to lend aid to humanity.
  • Aemairil: The Paragon that had abandoned Humanity in their time of need. They were responsible for safeguarding the world from the horrors of the lower circles. Has been compared to a cross between the human heart and the female reproductive system, but with tentacles.
  • Plunging: The art of moving down a circle in reality. It requires finding a location that has a weak point in the veil, and a ritual that only brands, Her Radiance, and pardoners. The deeper one plunges, the more one is at risk. From what though? We shall see.
  • First Circle: The first layer of the Human perception of reality.
  • Paragon: A godlike being that grants boons to those that serve it.
  • Second Circle: The second layer of reality from the human perspective.
  • Soul: Hand it over. That thing. Your soul.
  • Her Radiance: Revered Mother Patrallia III, the leader of the Aemairillian Church for over ninety years.
  • Pardoner: A person that has been granted the ability to take in dregs from brands and cure them of what Her Radiance sees as sin.
  • Dreg: A small creature that burrows from the lower circles and into the bodies of men and women to create "sin". If a dreg becomes powerful enough, it can transform into a number of different forms.

I will produce a character sheet and the necessary threads if people are interested, and any questions will be readily answered.

As a massive dark souls fan, I have quite the interest in this. I see that it takes a bit from both sides, but, assuming there is combat, will it also be a mixed of the two or focused on one side more, or be entirety free form as to what the Characters are to be? I know this is inspired by the series and not exactly it, but I would like to know.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
The combat would be more oriented towards what the playstyle of Bloodborne would be in places, and others would be more like the pacing in the older souls games. Granted, that is just in the sense if pacing. It is set moreover in an era where they would be making a transition into the technologies of Bloodborne, so those kinds of weapons would likely be available, if a bit rare or dodgy. There will be things akin to bosses, however, and if there is enough interest, I can produce a character sheet along with stats.

Alright, well, count me in, Cloudburst. I would love to join once there is enough interest.

• Thank You
I definitely want in on this if I can find the time. Awesome execution, my friend. Hope it takes off soon and attracts more people.

• Thank You
Looks intriguing. Count me in.

• Thank You
Excellent. Now we only need a minimum of one more to show interest. In the meantime, have this prototype of a character sheet so you know what to expect creation wise. So far, like in the Soulsborne games, there are a couple of classes that really bear nothing save for how you will be starting out- and is labeled as an origin on the character sheet. This sheet will also be added to the introductory post so anyone may look upon it and see whether or not they wish to join. I'll likely make it look pretty when I get around to looking at the coding section of the site. Stats are mainly arbitrary for now, unless we wish to get embroiled in dice, which I do not know how to operate on this site.

Name:
Appearance:
Origin: (Choose one of the listed)
  • Militant: A citizen of the Cathedral Wall who wished to join in the Wild Hunt. Well rounded, but not suited for long battles.

• Brand: A noble Brand of the Church, sent on the Wild Hunt. Encased in shining armor, they are sturdy but often slow.
  • Pardoner: A Pardoner of the Church sent with the Brands to ease them of their sin and the dregs that would claim them. The original peoples burdened with a soul.
  • Executioner: Hunter of criminals and celebrated killer. Hits hard, and fights hard as a Brand, but is ripe with the smell of sin.
  • Miscreant: A criminal on the run from both the church and their executioners. Agile, if unlucky.
  • Dross: A creature cast out by society and forced to live as a servant. Has very little skill, if any at all.
Equipment:
- Head:
- Chest:
- Arms:
- L:
- R:
- Legs:
- Weaponry:
- L:
- R:
- Other/Bags:

The stats are as follows, but will be implemented as soon as I find a way to streamline the character sheet.

Strength: Physical power, measures damage dealt and how much one can carry.
Endurance: The theoretical stamina bar and helps with how much one can carry.
Vitality: Simply put, health and resistance to ill effects.
Dexterity: For finesse weapons such as most bows, contraptions, and other tools.
Luck: Affects the chance of things swinging into one's favor.
Soul : The strength of one's soul. The stronger it is, the deeper they can plunge, and more quickly without ill effects.
Radiance: One's ability to see the truth within the various levels of the circles.
Sin: The smell that attracts dregs both benign and sinister.

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidentally pressed enter.

Edit: It is fine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I see a Souls game RP advertised I apply for it. This is the one rule of my world!

Count me interested good sir! That is if you will have me.

Excellent, once I begin to make sense of the coding here, and make the sheet pleasing to the eye, I will construct the necessary threads. In the meantime, does anybody have questions?