Covenant of the Chasmata - OOC

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
@Archmage It's absolutely still open. If you'd like to join in please read through the introduction and signup guidelines. It wouldn't hurt to skim the lore page either for details about Roemheld and the Grand Chasm.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. :)

@Sammael9216 @Danielle reaver Looking over both of your sheets there appears to be a misunderstanding, which I'll take some of the blame for. Player societies will not be newcomers to the Chasm, they will be sworn members (covenant) of the Chasmata. Your people will have united with the other player societies nearly a century ago to stop Roemheld from capturing the Chasm.

And every player faction will have more or less maintained the covenant after the war, for nine decades - as the campaign for the Chasm waged close to ten years. I remember spotting some other issues that need to be addressed, but I want to give both your sheets a second read before I list those.

Alright, fair enough. I'll fix these issues today.

Reactions: Bone2pick
@Archmage It's absolutely still open. If you'd like to join in please read through the introduction and signup guidelines. It wouldn't hurt to skim the lore page either for details about Roemheld and the Grand Chasm.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Thanks, I think I have most of it figured out, I just got kind of tired of writing so I will go on tomorrow and look for some appropriate pictures. I've incorporated a large chunk of the history within the culture part because I thought they were inseparable.

Thanks, I think I have most of it figured out, I just got kind of tired of writing so I will go on tomorrow and look for some appropriate pictures. I've incorporated a large chunk of the history within the culture part because I thought they were inseparable.

I really like how they're shaping up. I was hoping someone would go Roemheld renegades, as there's interesting story potential from that angle. A couple of things: your population should be between 10k - 12k, as opposed to 30k. And your magic should have a domain, as opposed to general sorcery. For instance, time manipulation. And since time is an incredibly powerful force, I'll want its limits well defined. We may have to go back and forth to get it properly balanced.

Any room for one more?

Normally I would allow a player to try and compete for a spot if they'd like. But in your case, as you only have one post, I'd rather stick with more seasoned members. I do appreciate your interest and wish you the best. :)

sGruRLk.jpg

Here's the latest working map of the Grand Chasm. I tried to position your settlements where I imagined you'd like them. But I can still make changes if you're unhappy with where you're located. Also, if everyone could name their settlement that would be helpful.

Once every faction had been posted we'll start working on goals and relationships. Everyone will have a history of dealing/interacting with one another, so consider how your people relate to the other Chasmata members.

@Kat @Jack Robinson @Danielle reaver @Sammael9216 @Archmage

Reactions: Danielle reaver
@Bone2pick My settlement is called Thunder town. I like my position but I still need to put the final touches on my story.

My apologies Archmage, I remember reading that.

My apologies Archmage, I remember reading that.
No problem.

Regarding the numbers, I read that they were supposed to be around 10-12k the first time, but I wanted to have a society where there was a very small armed forces and a whole lot of civilians that need to be protected, hence why I had the time bubble to help account for their high numbers. I see now that 30k is too much for the standards of the game, but would you concede to 20k as a reasonable compromise? Of them only about 2800-3000 would be warriors in fighting shape. I am asking this for two reasons:

• I planned one of the major weaknesses to be the need to protect the huge pile of civilians, hence never being able to leave Thunder town without a garrison. This, combined with the long time it takes to actually train new soldiers.
  • I never planned on having a massive warrior population as I thought it uncharacteristic of most human societies. Most other players pretty much have the majority of their populations as warriors or at least capable of fighting, so I gathered that I would need a generally larger populace in order to be competitive with still only a sliver of the total population being soldiers.
Of course I would be reworking it if it's not acceptable, but then I would have to tweak the story as well, I suppose.

BTW I didn't write this in the story yet, but whoever is living in Ryendar can already start to consider how the tons of waste, both hazardous and not, that come down the river daily would affect the relationship between our peoples :D

What happened to the player settlements?

@Archmage While I appreciate your thought process, it does go against my own. I created a baseline of 10k - 12k humans for some semblance of cavern dwelling limitations. Obviously the Chasm doesn't have the abundance of resources the surface has, so supporting large populations of people is near impossible. In terms of food production, hunting and gathering is the norm as opposed to agriculture. Which is another population limit, as agriculture is far more efficient.

In terms of reproduction it would feel strange making your population greater than the ratlings and koas. As both of those groups spawn faster and require less resources than humans to develop. The trouble with bumping their numbers is it dramatically boosts their military, as their people are 90% or more warriors. Which leaves me in a bit of a bind in terms of faction design & balance.

A 12k population is a legit human city in the Buried Realms, so I'd prefer to keep Thunder Town right there. Despite your lack of manpower your warriors are better equipped, with some fantasy "engineering" you could make them elite.

@Kat the player settlements were only ever suggestions. Are you unhappy with your location? If so, where would you like to be?

@Archmage While I appreciate your thought process, it does go against my own. I created a baseline of 10k - 12k humans for some semblance of cavern dwelling limitations. Obviously the Chasm doesn't have the abundance of resources the surface has, so supporting large populations of people is near impossible. In terms of food production, hunting and gathering is the norm as opposed to agriculture. Which is another population limit, as agriculture is far more efficient.

In terms of reproduction it would feel strange making your population greater than the ratlings and koas. As both of those groups spawn faster and require less resources than humans to develop. The trouble with bumping their numbers is it dramatically boosts their military, as their people are 90% or more warriors. Which leaves me in a bit of a bind in terms of faction design & balance.

A 12k population is a legit human city in the Buried Realms, so I'd prefer to keep Thunder Town right there. Despite your lack of manpower your warriors are better equipped, with some fantasy "engineering" you could make them elite.

@Kat the player settlements were only ever suggestions. Are you unhappy with your location? If so, where would you like to be?

I don't even know where I'm at. I didn't even think I was on the map. It would've been nice to have player one or player two location (or somewhere near a major cavern), but I can understand why change might've been needed. Where do you have me?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see where you put me. It was difficult to find at first, but I found it. I'm guessing it's near a major cavern then?

@Bone2pick

The population being bigger was supposed to be accounted for by the time warp when virtually nobody died save for accidents and such. As for population sustenance and agriculture, I have worked this out extensively, though I am unsure if I have written it all down yet. I was also planning to have the larger population balance itself out somewhat because it would grow much slower than the competition and only a tiny percentage would have become warriors.

I'm not saying this to argue with you, I just wanted to showcase that I have though it through and didn't go about changing the rules of your game lightly.

That being said, I accept your critique and will rework these traits of my faction accordingly.

@Bone2pick the Naviran kingdom would be named dinrawl

Just wanted to give a heads up I start my next batch of college classes this Wednesday. I will do my best to finish this in a timely fashion.

@Bone2pick Considering resources for different things are scarce, should we assume that everyone gets their resources from the outside world? Or is it possible to get things like iron and metal and silk (from spider webs) down in the Chasmata? Or harvest food in the Netherwood?

Also, a long shot, but is it possible to steal and weave the silk of the glass spiders?

Also, what kind of resources are out there? I know there's food, metal, oil, coal... I'm trying to gain a comprehensive list so I can figure out what Ryendar lacks in resources.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I see where you put me. It was difficult to find at first, but I found it. I'm guessing it's near a major cavern then?

It isn't, that's my mistake. I remember you asking about the Netherwood so I put you close to it. Because I don't want the settlements too close to one another I'll move you to either the west or north tunnel - the Navira more or less have the south one.

@Archmage While I appreciate the thought you've put into your society, the details and designs still need to work within the roleplays parameters. I'll admit, when coming up with my population estimates I didn't account for a time bubble. :) That alone was something I considered not allowing, but I rolled with it. It's certainly creative. But your population will cap near the 12k mark.

Considering resources for different things are scarce, should we assume that everyone gets their resources from the outside world? Or is it possible to get things like iron and metal and silk (from spider webs) down in the Chasmata? Or harvest food in the Netherwood?

Also, a long shot, but is it possible to steal and weave the silk of the glass spiders?

Also, what kind of resources are out there? I know there's food, metal, oil, coal... I'm trying to gain a comprehensive list so I can figure out what Ryendar lacks in resources.

The vast majority of your resources will come from the Grand Chasm and the surrounding Buried Realms. I'm glad you're considering them, as economies will be influential in my decision making. Minerals and metals are plentiful underground, so they will be your most exploitable resource. But you still have to work for them.

As to the spider silk, it most certainly can be harvested. It's one of the reasons I included them. They're a replenishing source of glass and fibers. But it's a dangerous business, as you can imagine.

Game can be hunted in the Netherwood, and birds can be trapped. Mushrooms are plentiful. As are Chasm River catfish - though Thunder Town is polluting the river. That might be something the Chasmata (you players) need to discuss...

Again, for those who missed my earlier post, there are also Roemheld smugglers who would be willing to trade with you. But you have to make their risk profitable.

• Love
Reactions: junebug
The vast majority of your resources will come from the Grand Chasm and the surrounding Buried Realms. I'm glad you're considering them, as economies will be influential in my decision making. Minerals and metals are plentiful underground, so they will be your most exploitable resource. But you still have to work for them.

As to the spider silk, it most certainly can be harvested. It's one of the reasons I included them. They're a replenishing source of glass and fibers. But it's a dangerous business, as you can imagine.

Game can be hunted in the Netherwood, and birds can be trapped. Mushrooms are plentiful. As are Chasm River catfish - though Thunder Town is polluting the river. That might be something the Chasmata (you players) need to discuss...

Again, for those who missed my earlier post, there are also Roemheld smugglers who would be willing to trade with you. But you have to make their risk profitable.

Ryendar may be lacking in water then, if Thunder town is polluting the water. If you could put Ryendar near the north tunnel in the middle of the mountains on the right side, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you for giving me an idea of what can be harvested.

EDIT: Also, what can the tar pools be harvested for???

Last edited:
If anyone wants to start discussing possible relationships, feel free to do so. It'll be... interesting, given how narcissistic my people (Ryendar) are. I'll try to be flexible myself, but I can't guarantee anything from Valencia. I promise it's not you, it's her. XDDD (They're already pretty fucking suspicious of everyone, so you gotta go in with a good bargain if you want to strengthen the relationship)