*Closed* Royal and Not *Lady AlainXShadow Assassin*

• Thread starter DJae Writer Chick
  • Start date
  • So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up to the general picking up my sword. He told me it was time to go. He grabbed my wrist, dragging me off towards the ship, not allowing me to say my goodbyes. Once we boarded the ship, it moved no more than a few yards from the dock when I was attacked. The general was murdered and a masked man pinned me against the ship's outer wall. He pressed a knife against my neck-

I bolted upright, shaking, my eyes wide in the bright room. I took a deep breath, relaxing myself. It was just a nightmare. I looked out the window. A little past sunrise. Stretching, I rubbed my eyes, yawning. That was one realistic nightmare I hoped I would never have to encounter again. I wondered how well the general slept.

As always, I had to be at the shop at sunrise. It didn't matter the weather, the state of affairs, or if there was a princess sleeping in my bed. I didn't want to wake Ellie, so I briefly peeked in on her before heading out and left her an uneaten apple from yesterday's breakfast. It wasn't in the best condition having been in my pocket all the while, but it was still edible and it would let her know I was already up and gone when she awoke. I prayed no one would try to break in until then.

"Get yer mind back on yer work, boy!" Boss called from across the room.

"Yes sir, sorry sir," I replied hastily. We had horseshoes to craft again today. Already things started slipping back into normal after the unusual night last night.

After looking around the room a moment, I stood. There was an apple that hadn't been there before...He's already gone. I thought to myself, realizing Jabez had left it. Picking up my sword and returning it to my hip, I took a bite of the apple, glancing out the window at the horses. I left the room, descending the stairs and, with my hand still on the handle of my sword, took a little trail behind the buildings. After last night, there was pretty much no way I was going to take the main road.

"Eclipse?" The general asked, approaching a young girl. "Have you seen Ec-..Ellie?" He asked.
"You mean the princess? You have her name wrong mister. It's Eclipse...and no. Is she missing?" The little girl looked fearful.
The general gave her a weak smile. "No..uh..we're just um...playing hide-and-seek." He said. The little girl giggled and skipped off.

I heard both my names and sighed. Slipping into the shadows behind a building, I whistled two short notes. He looked up, his hand on his sword. Staring me straight in the eyes, he relaxed, glanced both ways, then ran over. "Where have you been?!?" He hissed while I led him back to the trail.

"Safe, where you ran off and left me, Jabez took care of me."

The general's shoulders fell and he bowed his head. "I'm...sorry Princess. I thought-"

"I know why you left, your not in trouble."

He looked back up, smiling...but it quickly faltered. He stepped back eyes wide. I felt a point against the back of my neck.
"Where's your friend? The one that through one of ours down the stairs?"
I was silent. The point pressed harder. Closing my eyes, I shifted a foot back. It touched the tip of his toe, he chuckled. I drew my sword, turning, my blade slipping through his leg, and all I got was a little cut on my neck. The general sighed.
"Everyone knows...it too danger-"
"I can handle it." I looked at him. "I know more Craten than your entire army combined. It was created for situations were one is outnumbered. I might not have had much practice lately, but this is nothing." I said, turning and going towards the blacksmith. Had I just put Jabez in the danger zone? I felt my heart accelerate at the thought, fear spreading through my chest. I shook my head. It'll all work out in the end. I paused by the side of the shop, staying in the shadows, listening first.

Reactions: Lady Alainn
I tried to keep up my usual work ethic, but my body was obviously sore from the brawls last night. My stomach especially ached from that nasty kick the guy at the stable had given me. Boss saw quickly saw through my gritted teeth and raised a brow. It wasn't the first time I'd come into work black and blue.

"Rough night?" His tone held a glimmer of empathy.

"Something like that," I admitted. "I'm sorry."

"I don't want ye straining yerself, Jabez. Don't push yerself if ye can't handle it. Yer no good to me injured."

"I can handle it," I said with downcast eyes. "It's just a couple of bruises."

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing it was clear for the moment, I looked at the general. He shook his head. Standing, I walked to the edge of the door and stood there. Only moments later did a man, hand on sword, dark look in his eyes, come walking towards the shop. He ignored me, walking towards the door, but never made it in. I unsheathed my sword, blocking the entrance. He looked at me and took three steps back. I took a step forwards and he ran. I leaned against the wall once more, sheathing my sword. No one will get in if they're going to hurt him... I thought to myself.

Completely oblivious to what was going on outside, I focused on the bellows while Boss heated the iron. Each time my arms raised above my head I had to bite back a groan. This was not a normal bruise. Was something wrong inside? A rib out, maybe? Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I sagged back and held my hands to my side, gasping for breath.

"Ye should get that looked at, boy," Boss remarked. "I can manage 'ere just fine wit'out ye."
"But, I need the work," I protested. "I can't afford to lose a day."
"And do what?" Boss countered. "If ye can't work the bellows nor swing the 'ammer, what good are ye 'ere?"

He had a point. Reluctantly, I gave the bellows one last push and headed out the door to the apothecary. But when I stepped outside...

"Ellie!" I exclaimed.

I jumped at the sound of my false name. My eyes widened slightly, then narrowed. Friendly, but cautious. "Hey...what are you doing out here?" I asked curiously. I glanced at the road, which was strangely empty today, and then back at Jabez. The general stepped away from the corner were he had been standing, his eyes on the path we had come from. He darted off, but I didn't look back at him.

Grimacing, I set my hand on my gut. "I've been sent home," I said dejectedly. "Boss won't let me work if I can't keep up on the bellows." I sighed. "I'm happy to see you out and about, but what are you doing here?"

My eyes moved from his eyes, to his hand, and back to his eyes. "You're hurt..." I said quietly, a half-sad expression crossing through my eyes. "You should see the doctor." I said, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder. And I would accompany him all the way there, and all the time he was there, and I would stay by him until he got better. I didn't say this, of course, but it stayed in my mind. I wanted to protect him from whomever might try to attack as well as see to it that he rests and gets better.

I shook my head, a faint smile on my face. "I can't afford a doctor. The only thing I can do is crush some herbs and...and rest." I looked into Ellie's eyes. "You should move on, Ellie. It's not safe for you here. I'll be all right, I promise."

I shook my head. "I'm not going to leave you here. And if I have any say in it, I'm not going to leave for a while." I said, worry and concern shining in my eyes. I heard a click behind me. Someone unsheathing a sword. My other hand drew my sword and I spun on my heel, pointing the edge of my sword to their throat just as they raised their own to attack. They dropped the sword, leaving their hands up.
"Leave." I glared. Immediately they turned tail and fled. I turned back to Jabez. "Also, at the moment, you're probably in as much danger as I am.." I said softly...sadly.

I chuckled. She was incorrigible. "I don't need a guard--" my voice faltered as the hiss of drawn steel echoed behind me. Ellie whirled before I even started moving. Off the cowardly cur bolted before I could even think about slugging him. I looked at Ellie, confusion apparent on my face. "Why would I be in danger, too?"

"Because you helped me." I said, glancing around for other suspicious figures. The general returned behind me, a small scratch on his cheek and a bruise forming under it, but seemingly unharmed other than that. I kept to myself that some of the people seemed more focused on imbedding a blade in Jabez than they did me...but, I could be mistaken. "Let's get you to the doctor..." I said, looking back at Jabez, my lower lip carefully tucked between my teeth, a nervous habit of mine.
The general stayed a few steps back, not wanting to intrude on the conversation, but close enough to cover any surprise attacks.

The doctor? Didn't she hear me say I couldn't afford it? I sighed and rubbed my chest. The friction made me wince. "I just need to go lie down," I mumbled. "Peppermint tea and a warm bed and I'll be fine tomorrow." I trudged toward the stables, keeping my eye out for anyone suspicious all the while. Would they really kill me just from that one altercation last night? Idiots. That kind of attitude was always the quickest way to die, didn't they know that? I sighed and shook my head. There were many things I did not understand about the world.

I paused, then followed. With a quick glance to the general, he nodded and ran off. I followed close behind Jabez. "What hurts?" I asked, my voice quieter, softer. I wanted to make sure he would be okay. I had to leave in the next day or two, otherwise we could be in worse trouble, but I didn't want to leave, especially if Jabez was hurt. I wouldn't leave unless he was okay. I paused as we passed an older shop full of antiques. I noticed a few men sitting by the window, watching the sky, but I knew they were watching us. I put my hand on my sword, continuing to follow.

"Something in here," I responded, lightly rubbing along my upper rib. "I think something might have bruised." Before we were halfway to the stables, I nipped into an alley and crossed behind the houses along the main street. One of the houses had a garden out back and along one of the sides herbs grew in neat little rows. I hopped the rough-cut fence and carefully stepped between the rows, sniffing for peppermint. There it was. I bent down and tugged a couple of leaves off the plant. Not very many, though, just enough for a small pot of tea. With a look around to make sure I hadn't been spotted, I exited the garden the same way I entered and stuffed the leaves in my pocket.

"Let's get moving," I said quietly to Ellie when I joined her again.

I paused, stopping in my tracks as Jabez left my sight. I was staring at the roof of one of the buildings. Hearing a voice behind me, I jumped, halfway drawing my sword when I realized it was Jabez. I sighed, smiling faintly in relief. "Okay." I sheathed my sword again, glancing at the roof before following him, walking right next to him. "You might have cracked a rib bone." I said thoughtfully. "That usually hurts pretty bad." I rubbed my shoulder, remembering a few years ago in practice. I had fallen down a little cliff by the sea. Cracked two ribs and broke my wrist. Took forever to get back to where I had been.

I glanced down at her drawn sword and watched with a raised brow as she sheathed it. "Maybe," I replied. "Don't know much about that kind of thing. I just know the pain always goes away eventually. Hopefully the peppermint will do the trick." I glanced at her sword again. She was really on edge. "Are we being followed?" I asked bluntly. "Or are you just in the habit of being paranoid?" The question wasn't disrespectful, I wasn't wanting to mock her, but it needed to be asked.

"Both." I said quietly, glancing behind me. I was paranoid, especially when I knew there was at least one person on our tail. Just as I turned back around, an arrow passed just beside my head. I turned, looking up as a man jumped down from a window, tossing his bow away and charging with a sword drawn. I started to draw mine, but the back got caught on the hilt. I dodged, the blade coming within inches of my hand. I drew the sword, dragging it across his back right before he recovered. I stepped back, glancing around as the man fell to the ground, making small squeaks of pain as he tried to cover the large gash. Clear now. I sheathed my sword. "We need to keep moving." I said quietly, looking around again. Now I was jumpy.

"Who are these people and why are they here?" I asked incredulously as we were attacked yet again. I didn't even bother moving into a defensive stance anymore, I just stood dumbly on the sidelines and watched Ellie make quick work of the fumbling, bumbling men. At her command I started walking again toward the stables. "I don't think I've ever seen so many... scallywags," I finished lamely.

Status
Not open for further replies.