City of Thieves

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
D

Demmy

Original poster
OOC:

OPEN SIGNUPS City of Thieves

Asterna:

The city is located in the middle of nowhere, a desert called Matina. It is the only city in existence, at least, that's what is believed by the people. You see, anyone who leaves the city and travels beyond the 'ridge' never returns. To top it off, the desert is overrun with creatures that will rip you to pieces at a moments notice. As a result, there is a rule that no one leaves the city, not unless you are a scavenger. The city itself is vast and semi underground. There are farms to cater for food, a giant wall to protect from storms and an underground lake used for water. The city is run by a council of five and each councilers each have an assisstant. There are all sorts of lifestyles available including noble roles, couriers, guards and scavengers. And the thieves, of course, but more on them later.

Now, this city is set in a fantasy world. However, no magic exists to the city itself. It is, infact, unheard of. Technology wise, there is no more than simple guns like rifles and old-styled pistols, however, bullets are rare and expensive, leaving people to rely on meelee weaponry. There are no laws against carrying weapons, but using them can call for ending things... quickly. Education is only reserved for those who can afford it, though medical care is free.

As for the thieves themselves, there is a guild that originally only had 50 members, but not as many anymore. Many believe they don't exist but in truth they have their headquarters underground and have been working on extensive tunnels that reach under the entire city. Some even lead outside the walls. They're very picky on who they invite into their family.

Rules:
- if you play a thief, you must play another 'job'. Meaning you will play two characters. Whilst the thieves will be a major role in the plot, it would be no fun if that's all there is.
- Remember, this is a huge city so not everyone will know everyone.
- Only scavengers have clearance to leave the city due to safety reasons.
- There are no post length expectations. Write as little or as much as you want.
- Please don't express interest and then leave without a word. I will end up messaging you until I get a reply.

Caramel - thief - street corner - open

"Helloooo!" Caramel called a waving a hand in the face of the man sitting by her. Once she had his attention, she smiled. "Hello. What's your name? My name is Chi. What are you doing? Do you work? Do you live near here? What's your job like? Did you know I can..." As the girl rambled on she jumped side to side in an attempt to appear excited. At times she moved too close, only to jump away before the man could point it out. By the time he was able to get away from her, she had his wallet in her pocket and a bit of loose change in her hands. "Bye! Nice to meet you!"

Melanie (Mellow) Armali - scavenger - northern gate - open

Melanie stretched, keeping her eyes on the people on the street, looking for who team mates. They weren't exactly due to meet up for another few minutes, but the thought of being late was almost unbearable to her. Stretching again, she leant back against the wall, wiggling a bit so that the rough surface scratched her back. "It is way to early to be awake..."

Emmett Shaulle - courier - upper streets - open

Emmett hummed, taking his time walking down the street. It was a lazy day so far, so he was in no rush. ((I'm also out of ideas for this chari))

Oliver Pratchet - councilor - his office - open

After watching the pile of paperwork fall to the ground Oliver pinched the bridge of his nose with a sigh. There was no way he would be able to get through it all in one day. He'd just have to take it home. He pushed away from the desk, stood and stretched before he moved over to the window. It overlooked the centre of the city and gave a slight view of the desert beyond. And with it he could see the last of the most recent storm retreat over the hill.

Absinthe Varas - Thief - Lower streets - open

"Interesting..." Absinthe said to her self, writing down notes on her next target. "So he gets his morning coffee here at 7, goes to work at 8 and stays there til 5... Perfect" After writing down a plan she sets off to her apartment, mumbling more details to her self as she walks.

Lavonne Varas - Plant Shop Keeper - Her shop - open

"Thatll be $12.50 sir!" she says to a customer with a sweet smile, while also handing him a booklet for his newly bought plant. After the customer leaves the store, Lavonne picks up a book simply titled "The Woods" and begins reading where she left off. "Those animals all sound so beautiful! Especially foxes... Gah! Why can't I go there my self?" she thinks to her self.

Poppi Tate - Nurse - Clinic - @Lunarelon_

"Now, when people are in the way, what do you say?" Poppi spoke softly and kindly to a small little boy who had come to the clinic with a scrapped up knee and elbow. Poppi simply put some antibacterial wipe on them and bandaged him up. "Excuse me." The boy responded to her. Poppi grinned and replied, "Good. Instead of pushing, you just say those two words and you will be okay. Now, are you going to be okay to go or do you need to wait for your parents?" She asked the boy. "Ma is dead, pa is busy at work. I'll just head out without them. Thanks!" With that the boy hopped off the table and made his way out. Poppi let out a small sigh, it was sad to hear when small children had lost a parent.

Poppi wanted some more plants in the clinic and some flowers to give out to children as well, she had run out before the boy came in. Poppi made it a habit to hand out flowers to kids, just like her own mother had given her flowers. Poppi yelled to the back where the other nurse was, "I'll be back in a moment!" And with that she left the clinic.

Poppi headed towards the nearest plant shop, owned by Lavonne Varas, she stopped in to look at the different plants. "Excuse me," Poppi politely asked, "I am looking for some plants that will liven and make people feel at peace while at the clinic down the street. In addition, I am looking for flowers or plants that bloom flowers and will keep blooming even if I pick them every now and then. Do you have any suggestions?"

Amelia Kennedy - Assistant/Thief - Oliver's Office - @Demmy

"You really ought to be more careful with your paperwork." Amelia said as she walked into the office of Oliver's. She saw the paperwork on the ground with Oliver staring out his window. She smiled slightly, a peaceful and kind smile as she walked to pick up the paperwork. Immediately her mind went into scanning mode, looking for anything of useful information for her and the Thieves. Of course she did this in a very subtle way, scanning fast and not taking long on any paper. To the passing eye it would look as it was, Amelia the assistant picking up paperwork.

Putting it back on his desk she asked him, "Is there anything I can help you with. You have a lot of work built up here." Amelia noticed out the window as well that the storm had finally passed.

Last edited:
Absinthe Varas - Thief - Apartment - open

As she unlocked the door Absinthe let out a long sigh, even though she loved stealing, she hated thinking of a well thought out plan, at that point she'd rather just kill her victim instead of creating a well thought out plan, but seeing as this person looked important, she sat down and started writing one out anyway.

Lavonne Varas - Plant Shop Keeper - Her shop - AliceFalling

"Ah yes hello!" Lavonne said tucking away her book "I have quite few plants that are known for giving people a sense of peace, and I even have a special table for the flowers that bloom very frequently if taken care of properly!" She walks over to the respective tables and grabs a few plants, placing them in a line for Poppi to choose from on the counter, with 8 in total. In order "These are apple blossoms, lavender, violets, poppies, hibiscus, marigolds, yellow flags, and snap dragons! On their tags it should show you how they turn out, and if you'd like, I could give you booklets for each if you'd like to read up on them a bit!" She says with a friendly grin.

Last edited:

"Helloooo!" Caramel called a waving a hand in the face of the man sitting by her. Once she had his attention, she smiled. "Hello. What's your name? My name is Chi. What are you doing? Do you work? Do you live near here? What's your job like? Did you know I can..." As the girl rambled on she jumped side to side in an attempt to appear excited. At times she moved too close, only to jump away before the man could point it out. By the time he was able to get away from her, she had his wallet in her pocket and a bit of loose change in her hands. "Bye! Nice to meet you!"

Melanie stretched, keeping her eyes on the people on the street, looking for who team mates. They weren't exactly due to meet up for another few minutes, but the thought of being late was almost unbearable to her. Stretching again, she leant back against the wall, wiggling a bit so that the rough surface scratched her back. "It is way to early to be awake..."

Emmett Shaulle - courier - upper streets - @Lunarelon_

Emmett rounded a corner with a smile. In his hands was a small package and just as he reached the owner's house, the door had just been closed. At least he knew they were home. Clearing his throat, he knocked on the door.

Oliver Pratchet - councilor - his office - @AliceFalling

Hearing the door swing open, oliver glanced over his shoulder. "I was going to pick it up," he mumbled, but smiled, pulling away from the window and sitting back at his desk. Once more he began going through the smaller pile in front of him. "It's nice of you to offer, but surely you have enough of your own work to do. I don't want to overwork you."

Absinthe Varas - Thief - Apartment - @Demmy

As she was working on her plan, Absinthe heard a knock at the door. She hid her notebook under the cushions of the couch, and reluctantly looked through the peep hole in the door. Realizing it was just the courier, she opened the door "Oh, hello. I assume this is for Lavonne, right?"

Lavonne Varas - Plant Shop Keeper - Her shop - @AliceFalling

"Ah yes hello!" Lavonne said tucking away her book "I have quite few plants that are known for giving people a sense of peace, and I even have a special table for the flowers that bloom very frequently if taken care of properly!" She walks over to the respective tables and grabs a few plants, placing them in a line for Poppi to choose from on the counter, with 8 in total. In order "These are apple blossoms, lavender, violets, poppies, hibiscus, marigolds, yellow flags, and snap dragons! On their tags it should show you how they turn out, and if you'd like, I could give you booklets for each if you'd like to read up on them a bit!" She says with a friendly grin.

Emmett Shaulle - courier - upper streets - [IMG]https://data.iwakuroleplay.com/avatars/s/27/27968.jpg?1541996622[/IMG] Lunarelon_

"Yes ma'am!" Emmett replied with a grin. "However, I must insist on a signature. Is the lovely lady home?"

Oliver Pratchet - councilor - his office - [IMG]https://data.iwakuroleplay.com/avatars/s/28/28236.jpg?1539488866[/IMG] AliceFalling

Hearing the door swing open, oliver glanced over his shoulder. "I was going to pick it up," he mumbled, but smiled, pulling away from the window and sitting back at his desk. Once more he began going through the smaller pile in front of him. "It's nice of you to offer, but surely you have enough of your own work to do. I don't want to overwork you."

"Not at the moment, no. I know shes been wanting this for a while now, so, if its in your power to, you can deliver it to her shop as shes there right now. Its the flower shop, yknow, Sonoma."

Emmett nodded. "Of course, I can take it to her there... for a bit of a fee. I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to deliver anywhere but where I've been paid to take it."

Hearing the door swing open, Oliver glanced over his shoulder. "I was going to pick it up," he mumbled, but smiled, pulling away from the window and sitting back at his desk. Once more he began going through the smaller pile in front of him. "It's nice of you to offer, but surely you have enough of your own work to do. I don't want to overwork you."

Absinthe sighs softly "One second, ey?" she goes back into the apartment to search for some spare money, she comes back out with a $20 and reluctantly hands it to the courier "Here, uh... Emmett. If that doesn't cover it then she can pay the rest off, now if you'll excuse me I got some things to do." and slowly closes the door.

"Ah yes hello!" Lavonne said tucking away her book "I have quite few plants that are known for giving people a sense of peace, and I even have a special table for the flowers that bloom very frequently if taken care of properly!" She walks over to the respective tables and grabs a few plants, placing them in a line for Poppi to choose from on the counter, with 8 in total. In order "These are apple blossoms, lavender, violets, poppies, hibiscus, marigolds, yellow flags, and snap dragons! On their tags it should show you how they turn out, and if you'd like, I could give you booklets for each if you'd like to read up on them a bit!" She says with a friendly grin.[/USER]

Last edited:
Grey - Scavenger - Northern Gate - @Demmy

Grey watched as he inspected Melanie from a distance. It had been quite a while since she had seen the other scavenger and as they stared from behind their mask, they wondered if she had any interesting jobs or offers that were worth the taking. The two weren't on necessarily bad terms, some of their previous jobs most certainly could have gone better but she was a reliable one and explosions could definitely happen at times within their business. Though, with how scarce resources were, it was not worth whatever turned to a smoldering pile of ash.

They cracked their fingers as they carefully made their way towards her. It appeared as if she was waiting for someone but that didn't matter. If anything they could offer at least their assistance for whatever she needed help with and Grey was reliable as well to an extent. He noticed her stretch as they decided to silently sneak in beside Melanie. Slipping their hand between her and the wall as they began to scratch her skin as she moved.

"It is way to early to be awake..."

"Maybe you should actually rest next time instead of always tinkering. Could also make yourself a back scratcher instead of using a building for that." They seemed to tease her as they finally decided to greet as they knew that such an invasion of privacy may get a response from her. "Though, if you are looking for any scavengers for duty or someone to pick some pockets. I can always offer you my assistance for a predetermined cut." They responded as their accent threaded the line between feminine and masculine. This character was always the difficult to understand because even their voice was as heavily disguised as their body. The rumors were that this person didn't make many allies or friends but Melanie seemed to at least be one of them and they were at least curious enough to offer her a hand or at least make her angry enough to try and shoot him with one of her valuable bullets as well as incredibly fine rifles.

They awaited eagerly looking at her from behind the metallic mask as well as the many lengths of cloth that covered their neck and face.

Tommy Thimble - thief/tinkerer - his shop - open

Tommy leaned back in his old desk chair. One entire leg of the chair was held up by duct tape and glue while another was just a piece of metal welded on. He stared at his empty shop full of gadgets, each humming with an electrical energy. He quietly screwed a small homemade gun together as he waited for customers.

Barry Klein - scavenger - northern gate - Demmy TheDevil'sGame

Barry didn't usually go on missions with others, mainly because he didn't get along with others, but he didn't want to be the only one having fun out there. Barry's modified skateboard was not the best to use on the road because the road was not made of sand. He looked down at a photograph he took of the people he was to go on the mission with, so he wouldn't forget what they looked like. He sat in the middle of the crowd, probably annoying people trying to go to work. He then turned to his right to see a woman stretching by the northern gate. He awkwardly tried to wave to her with his baseball bat to get her attention, not noticing the strange person behind her.

Reactions: Demmy
The Amberess - corrupted noble - Tommy's shop - @Wiggin
-
The quiet was broken by a long creek of the door swinging wide open, the sound of heels stepping into the desolate shop while just the sound of a burning cigarette left the female who had made her way into the door. She kicks it back gently with the back of her black peep toe wedges and began scan around her surroundings intensely as if she was expecting something to happen, The Amberess possessed this crazed look in her eyes- her face maintaining a peculiar level of apathy that looked as if she couldn't care if the world came down crashing at this second. She held a saber style sword in a holder attached to her side and another weapon on her other that wasn't as visible. She held the cigarette in her mouth without touching it because the other palms were dusting the sand from her black bra, and saggy pants that hung off her wide hips. She stared forward after she finished composing herself, "It's a lil hot, isn't it?" She joked with a wide smirk that almost looked sharp to the shop owner that she had came across.

Absinthe Varas - Thief - Streets/Tommy's Shop - @Wiggin @CherryRoseLotus

After Absinthe made sure the courier left, she grabbed her unfinished notes and decided to head off. The shop she was looking for was only a few blocks away, so she jogged in a timely manner. After a few minutes she reached her destination, but before walking in the shop, she quickly looked at her notes again and murmured "If I can pull this off, stealing would be a lot more easy..." She slowly opened the door, over hearing a few words "It's a lil hot, isn't it?" a woman said, "Am I interrupting something here?" she said in a monotone voice to the woman and shop keeper, waiting on a response.

Lavonne rang up the plants Poppi chose, while also making sure to give her the required booklets for each. After their quick transaction, Lavonne went back to reading her book quietly waiting for another customer.

Melanie (Mellow) Armali - scavenger - northern gate - @Wiggin @TheDevil'sGame

Without turning to face the newcomer, Melanie sighed. "I don't know why you insist on being so weird," she muttered, pulling away from him, "but I suppose you could help. For the regular fee. No more, no less. Of course, the usual rules and such apply." Noticing Barry waving his bat, she gestured for him to co e closer, waiting for him to be close enough before speaking again. "I assume you're here to go out of the gate? I've heard you've been out before so here's the payment plan. Paid half now, half if we bring back something, and a bonus if we bring back what was asked for. Any questions?"

Emmett smiled, tipping his hat with a warm thank you before turning away. As annoying as it was to change delivery locations, at least got paid for it. As he made his way to the flower shop at a leisurely pace, he began to whistle.

Tommy Thimble - thief/tinkerer - his shop - CherryRoseLotus Lunarelon_

The two people who walked into his shop startled him, he didn't usually get customers at this time in the afternoon. He looked up to see two women, both seeming to have interesting pasts. He carefully put down the half made pistol and stood up. "Hi, welcome to my shop, if you need anything just ask me" He said as he pulled a switch that dropped down a "special requests" board showing all the custom items he could create such as smoke bombs and masks to protect sand in the eyes. "The guns section is on your right and the gadgets are on your left" he gestured to the many shelves in the store. To be honest, the store seemed more set up like a book store than anything with the various aisles of items to choose from. He then flipped a switch on his desk as a fan descended from the ceiling of his shop and provided a nice, cool breeze. "It is a very hot day outside," he mentioned to the strange woman.
Barry Klein - scavenger - northern gate - Demmy TheDevil'sGame

Barry pushed through the crowd to the two people he was going to venture out with. He replied to Mellow's orders with a thumbs up. Even though Barry wasn't particularly going out for money, it always helped him buy more ammo for his shotgun. "What are we going out for again?" he asked, as he put his bat in his holster on his back. He pointed to the person covered in cloth "who is this guy?"

Mona Colt - engineer/inventor - street corner - Demmy

To be fair, Mona's intentions as she strolled around the bend in the street was to make her way to the dumpster behind the blacksmith. She'd talk to him first, of course, and see what he'd give her to start with, but she always loved the feeling of "recycling" from trash heaps, even if it was uncouth. She probably wouldn't have minded working for the smithy for pay, if she were a bit more dexterous.

As Mona's mind wandered, so did her eyes, and she spotted a few people walking in sync across the street. One girl was bobbing and weaving next to a man sitting on the corner, with nearly obnoxious enthusiasm. Mona was about to lose interest when - wait, that couldn't be right.

When Mona saw the girl's hand close over the man's wallet, though, a match struck in her chest. She couldn't remember the last time she saw something happen... like this, before. Up close. Even when her home was robbed in the past, she had been out at the time.

Mona's spine stiffened when she saw the act take place, but she instantly averted her eyes... though she did make a point to, casually, follow the girl as she departed. She didn't think she'd look too conspicuous from across the street, but she didn't know what kind of knowledge thieves actually carried, either.

Grey - Scavenger - Northern Gate - @Demmy , @Wiggin

Grey removed their hand as they watched her carefully. Staring at her from behind the metal mask as the cloth around it swayed as he shook his head.

"I'm not as strange as you might think and who could blame me? We live in a dangerous line of work and plus I prefer keeping you on your toes. I could be almost anything beneath this disguise. Your long lost twin sister, your lover, maybe even just a grocery store manager. I could truly be anything beneath this." The weird character pointed towards their face as their voice had transferred from very light and young to gruff and rigid.

"I'll take your deal though. I won't even haggle, working with you is fun enough. As for the rules, I'll try to abide as much as I can. Haven't broken them yet but I make no promises." They responded towards her as they watched Barry waving his bat. They didn't know this person and decided to stay quietly to the side as Melanie began to explain the payment and objective of this outing.

"What is the amount we are being paid now? And the amount of the potential bonus?" Grey questioned as they were innately curious on these sums. Not necessarily worried on the money more so the higher the amount the more danger they would likely be in.

They lost this train of thought as Barry pointed towards him and demanded to know who he or she was. They decided to jokingly play around with the idea as they began to talk in a very feminine but serious tone.

"I'm Melanie's older sister. Though times are tough. This cloth covers some severe injuries and Melanie can no longer afford to aid me with my operations. So I must venture out with her so I no longer remain a burden for her."

These were obviously lies and just curious about if their acting and tone of voice remained well. It was something that always needed more practicing and repitition.

"I am joking. My name's Grey and I'm a fence so if you have anything you no longer need or find anything in the wastes you are willing to sell. I am you mummy wrapped in cloth that will be extremely eager to help. My rates are progressive and I can always find the perfect person to sell too. So keep that in mind but I am also most definitely Melanie's sister if that matters."

They seemed to enjoy teasing her though the two had known each other for a long time and could rely and trust each other on their skills. Grey never really trusted people they didn't know and especially on jobs no less but they wouldn't make a problem out of it. Melanie was trustworthy and that was something rare in this city. Even if it was only at a business level it was something if importance.

"Also, you can refer to me as a man or a woman. I wish to remain unidentifiable so please keep strangers guessing. I don't need any more rumors running around about me unless they are rumors I create myself. So would you mind introducing yourself to a young lady?"

They were referring to themselves as they watched Barry curiously as if inspecting the bat they carried as well as the skateboard they held. The metallic mask they wore was strange though it didn't seem possible to see from behind it but the person didn't seem to have problems with this.

"So, what is your name?" He decided to ask this as he wondered if he pressed things too far. Seriousness would come especially as this mission started.

Absinthe Varas - Thief - Streets/Tommy's Shop - @Wiggin @CherryRoseLotus

Absinthe shook it off and walked up to the shop keeper, and showing him her notes, she said "Would you by any chance have any parts needed for this, or even improvements on it?" the notes were of a gadget of some sort, she'd hope to use it to easily break into apartments and other living spaces where he targets resided, by easily opening a lock. Waiting on a response from the shop keeper, she glances around, and makes awkward eye contact with the strange woman that was also in the store with her, but quickly shies away, although she has trouble with her feelings, she felt extremely awkward, and a bit intimidated, she looked strong and could easily break a small girl like her in half if she wanted.

Lavonne Varas - Plant Shop Keeper - Her shop - Open

Lavonne read her book quietly waiting for another customer.