Christmas tree debate

Preferably none. Christmas trees are a really dumb tradition.

But if a tree must be had, artificial because real ones are a huge pain in the ass.

Artificial; my brother has allergies to real ones

Many of the holiday traditions I find silly, but they do bring me back to childhood. I don't strictly follow ant, but I'm sure I will when I have kids. I want thier holidays to be something to look forward to and enjoy. I like the whimsy of some of the traditions.

Fun Fact: Christmas day once had a much cooler name:

"Feast of the Unconquered Sun"

Y'all can hate, but I love me a big ol' (real) tree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, over the years in my family we USED TO BUY A REAL TREE. :) which was awesome considering the fact that the smell is amazing lol.
Then later on, they got more and more expensive and could not afford one anymore, until we begin to buy a artificial one.
And so on.. since then I had an artificial one lol

Artificial or a living real tree in a big ol' planter pot.

Artificial because i'm too lazy to cut a real one down.

If I DID have the energy to cut one down...I still woulden't.

I'm allergic to them, I can only get artificial. Though I say get the real ones if you can :)

Then again... why do I have cats if I'm allergic to cats!?

I'm allergic to them, I can only get artificial. Though I say get the real ones if you can :)

Then again... why do I have cats if I'm allergic to cats!?
because you like being a slave

you like slaving away to your cat-lord

I have a ridiculously expensive artificial tree that looks stupid-levels of real! I love the thing.

I kind of want to make it a Portal Tree this year, though...

FA9IAV0HAQ37XTK.LARGE.jpg

Artificial. It's sad to get a real tree and it dies.

For a large chunk of my childhood we got a real tree. It was not only a fun day, going to pick out the tree, hay rides, chopping one down and then hot chocolate and the drive home, but it was tradition. I will always remember being the "shadow watcher" on the way home. You had to watch the cars shadow to make sure the tree stayed there the whole way home. As a little kid it was actually pretty fun. When we got home my dad would shake the tree out again, before bringing it into the house and screwing it into our tree base. We took turns watering the tree and making sure it wasn't leaking. One thing I should mention is that with a real tree you have to put your own lights on it and take them off every year. I remember testing each strand of lights for bad bulbs, while my parents spend an hour or so making sure the tree was evenly lit and the cords were tucked away. To help with the needles that fell, my mom laid a white sheet around the base, and it kinda gave an illusion of snow at the base of the tree.

As I got older, it became a hassle to get a real tree. We had less free time to go to the tree farm, and lord knows my mother was tired of vacuuming pine needles.

So one year, that was it, and we got our first artificial tree. My parents insisted we got one that looked as real as possible, and was pre-lit. One reason my mom had been very "anti-artificial" was that for as long as she could remember, the fake trees looked exactly like that, fake. My mom spent good money on the fake tree, since it was reusable best get a good one. Now the job of the kids was to fluff the tree and make it look full. Instead of a "squint test" to look for even lights, we did "the walk around" looking for holes through the tree. Somehow though out "fake tree" still seems to shed, oh well!.

In conclusion, while a real tree is nice, it takes a lot of work. Additionally, as some people have mentioned allergies are a thing that many people have and you don't always know who will be in your house around the holiday season.

In my own home I will be using an artificial tree. Economically it saves money in the long run, while giving an equal amount of joy. The family tradition of tree shopping has changed to one of unpacking and fluffing, but there is still hot chocolate (sometimes with a little something extra) and there is Christmas music and a good time. So whether you get a real tree or set up an artificial one, the important part is that you enjoy it just the same.

(SIDE NOTE! Artificial trees come with a bonus when you have to put them away! can you get it all back in the box, and the box to close? A real challenge every time!)

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Allergies to pine trees? This is completely new to me, how serious are we talking here?