Choose Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fisher King, no doubt about it. The only real downsides of it are the inability to go very far from home and the possible negative side effects of immortality. I don't care about traveling and if I decide I want to end my immortal life I could always leave the house and die after a week.

The Road Eternal is all about travel, so it's eliminated easily. Not a bad choice really, I just don't care about traveling.

Nakama is neat, but it lacks the true immortality and neat benefits of the other options. If I was going to pick some fantastical way to change my life, I'd want it to be awesome and out of the ordinary.

Dominion is actually probably the worst of them all. You're immortal with no way of ending it if you so choose and you'll probably never have friends and you have a dozen extremely capable immortal enemies? No thanks. Only power hungry control freaks would think this is a good idea.

Fisher King or Nakama. I was entirely for Nakama until I read @Elly's post and realised that Fisher King would not be as isolating a life as it originally seems it would.

But Nakama is still my primary choice just because I think a normal, yet extraordinarily blessed, life is a significantly happier one to lead than one dominated by abnormality (whether that be immortality, being a world leader, whatever.) Abnormal people tend to feel very isolated and lonely, because their experiences relate poorly to those of the people around them.The example that pops to mind (due to a recent conversation I had about William James Sidis) is the "reclusive genius" stereotype - y'know, someone who feels lonely because they're on a whole other level of intellect compared to those around them, and so neither can they relate to others or others relate to them.

Extraordinary lives are rarely the happiest. We regard them as extraordinary almost because they're not - usually they've had to go through some great challenges or achieved some extremely difficult things in order to be considered extraordinary at in the first place. I'd much rather my life were more within the realms of normalcy, but massively blessed and successful. I think Nakama's the only one that actually provides the core aspects of a happy life - it's stable but not restricted, includes healthy strong relationships with those around us, and provides the opportunity for challenging but manageable and fulfilling tasks to dedicate oneself to.

I'd be pretty cool with all except the last one, but I think I'd have to go for Nakama or Fisher King. Probably Nakama. I'd love to travel like the first one, but I wouldn't be able to do it forever. I'd love to have a house that bends to my will, but don't want to be stuck in there forever.. while Nakama offers friends and beauty (in life, anyway). So... I think I'd go with Nakama. I could have friends with Fisher King, but they eventually die and I wouldn't. I think it'd be better to die with your friends, and slowly have less and less of them reincarnate with you, and have those memories, than have to get entirely new friends.

Fisher King, the only downside is not being able to travel and I really don't much care for that. I wouldn't be alone, though, cuz I'd have my golems to keep me company; plus all the food and entertainment that I could want, who wouldn't love that?

Nakama. At least then I have friends, and in my final life I can write about their adventures and so on. The others? I'd live eternally, indefinitely, alone, unless I chose to essentially commit suicide.

Reactions: K3l
Fisher King. Dude, I could stay holed up in my room forever; only me and my beloved internet connection. What's not to love?

I would have to go with the Road eternal. I not much of a traveler, but if I were to live forever I might as well experience everything the world(s) have to offer.

Nakama comes in at a close second, as it feels the least lonely and has a comfortable mundanity to it.

Fisher Kings just seems lonely and Dominion down-right miserable.

I don't get why people keep saying Fisher King would make them lonely or force them to live in solitude. Just make your magic house big enough to fit the needs of tons of people and invite anyone you want to come live there without the need to ever do the wage slave thing again in their lives. The fact that you can make the house have any objects, technology, food, drink, utility, or form of entertainment you want means pretty much every need or desire could be met.

If anything, Fisher King would end up being second only to Nakama for friends and companionship. Invite all your friends and family to live in utopia, let them bring their friends and family as well, so on and so forth, end up with a huge magic tower thing that's basically a city unto itself. Just because it happens to be the best option for people who want zero contact with the outside world doesn't mean that being lonely is mandatory.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
If anything, Fisher King would end up being second only to Nakama for friends and companionship. Invite all your friends and family to live in utopia, let them bring their friends and family as well, so on and so forth, end up with a huge magic tower thing that's basically a city unto itself. Just because it happens to be the best option for people who want zero contact with the outside world doesn't mean that being lonely is mandatory.
And then the government carpet bombs you for avoiding paying your taxes/giving them unlimited power. :rotfl: At least with Nakama I can cleverly hide my immortality.

At first I was gonna go with Nakama, but after reading that ending and the limitation of 13 lives, nuh-uh.

Fisher King for me.

And then the government carpet bombs you for avoiding paying your taxes/giving them unlimited power. :rotfl: At least with Nakama I can cleverly hide my immortality.
Nah, that's no problem, just make the exterior of your house out of many layers of the strongest defensive materials known to man to avoid death by bombs. Alternatively, rent out worker golems to factories and such for sweet sweet cash, or maybe rent out extremely badass party rooms in your magic house for rich people. Taxes could totally be paid. :bsmile:

Nah, that's no problem, just make the exterior of your house out of many layers of the strongest defensive materials known to man to avoid death by bombs. Alternatively, rent out worker golems to factories and such for sweet sweet cash, or maybe rent out extremely badass party rooms in your magic house for rich people. Taxes could totally be paid. :bsmile:
... Hmm... The house has no real limitations either. You could just keep making it bigger, in theory, and take over the world.

... Now I'm conflicted.

Dominion.

My authority would be used to preserve, and ultimately advance, mankind, but the literal temptation to abuse my power may be far too great to resist. The tangible threat to my rule won't come from my twelve enemies, but from my own intrinsic fallacies and primal human instincts.

Actually, noted in the Fisher King thing, even what Jorick said isn't needed. The house is indestructible and no one can get in if you don't want them to. Perfectly defended, with an infinite tireless work force / defense force. You're pretty golden.

... Hmm... The house has no real limitations either. You could just keep making it bigger, in theory, and take over the world.

... Now I'm conflicted.

The house can only grow so large, about as high as the Burj Dubai or as wide as a Tesla factory. So no, you can't take over the world. xP

Fisher King or Nakama. I can't decide which yet, but Nakama seems so good at first. Until slowly your friends vanish with each reincarnation. :/ Fisher King because I don't really mind not going out too much, so long as I have human companionship.

Fisher King.

But this was my thought process for each of them.

Road Eternal: This is definitely interesting, see the world forever and keep traveling.
But ultimately I get drawn away because your resources are rather limited, human relations are rather low, and eventually you'd probably be de-sensitized to the wonders of traveling.

Fisher King: You essentially get to create your own version of heaven, invite in everyone you like and live effectively a perfect life.
The only real downside here is seeing others die, but remember ALL human relationships are limited. It hurts when they end, but people are more than capable of moving past them.
The only exception I can see to this is losing a child, but if that truly breaks ones spirit hard enough to want to die you can easily just leave the tower and not return.

Speaking of which, you can still travel with this option anyways. I mean it's easy.
Give yourself a personal hangar, get a personal Jet (to prevent disintegration, trade for one from outside the tower in exchange for services provided by the tower), and use said jet to fly out and travel.
When your week is close to ending? Hop on the Jet, take a quick trip back to the tower and immediately fly back to where you were. Done.
You basically just need to take a 12 hour detour once a week, and your Jet can easily entertain you for those 12 hours in it's own right.

Nakama: This was tempting, but the turn off point was having no memories in the first 12 lives. It essentially makes all 12 lives individual experiences, which on there own pale in comparison to Fisher King.
Compared to Road Enternal depends on one's desire for Travel VS Stability, and Domination just seems bad.
The only life you have memories is the final life, and at that point your memories are more a source of pain than anything else... :/

Domination: I would not make the best leader.
That being said, there is a lot I believe needs changing in the world. And I do follow a very Logic > Emotions sort of philosophy.
However my actual skill/ability to think on my feet, and relate to people (two vital skills) are those I am not great at. I would most likely just pick good advisers and mainly follow their lead.
Plus although I live my life being more logical than emotional, I am still human. I have not nearly mastered the art of keeping my emotions seperate. So during very tense situations I could very well let passion get the better of me. Especially if innocents were being harmed and I was being called on to act.

+It's also a very lonely and manipulative life.
As much as I don't let people hatred of me bring me down I would still desire some close friends.
And I tend to live a very honest life, lying and spotting lies is a VERY rare thing for me to be doing.
Which as a world leader with 12 nemesis, is something I would need to both be better at, and be comfortable being surrounded by.

Now, originally looking through this I wanted to make an ultra-powerful combat specialized suit.
But as I looked at the features I realized there was a lot of stuff that could be used to enhance one's life in general.
And since gain cybernetic upgrades and augmentations is something I'd want to do in the future if technology allowed it, I decided to make this a suit that focuses on enhancing my life in general.

In other words, it's a suit to live in. Not one to be fighting in.

Suit (0/200 Points)
  • Mesh = Most flexibility/comfortable, No need to recharge, Least Expensive allowing for more features.

Specialty (0/220 Points)
  • Non = +20 Resources to use on more features.

User Interface (15/220 Points)
  • Nerve Suit = If I'm living in it, I should give me the sensation of touch.
  • Brain Implant 1 = Requirement for Stasis further down.
HUD (30/220 Points)
  • External Sensors = Safety feature. If my suit is my life and it's damaged I want to be able to tell what's wrong. Upgraded to 'External' for how it pairs with Wi-Fi below to get any information ASAP.
  • Navigation = Had 5 points left to spend, and a built in GPS seemed cool.
Communications (60/220 Points)
  • Universal Translator = You mean I can travel, and understand people without learning it? You mean I watch Japanese Anime without subtitles? Yes please!
  • Communicator = Built in mobile Skype? I can see the uses of this.
  • Wi-Fi = Built in unlimited Internet? This would be fun. :3
Biology (105/220 Points)
  • Hydra Nanites = Accelerated Healing can become a very useful feature. I would be concerned about healing too fast for doctors to operate on something. But the fact this also allows limb regeneration suggests it outperforms doctors.
  • Progenitor Nanites = Most of the features are a nice bonus , but I'm honestly just getting this for the extra 200 years.
  • Stasis = I'm assuming this puts my physical body, not my mind in Stasis. Therefore I can still function/operate. And will also take much longer to age.
Utilities (140/220 Points)
  • Additional Form = What the form is would be a whole post in itself. But essentially I'm using this to gain abilities such as flight. Getting extra hands for certain moments would also be nice.
  • Self Repair = Safety Feature, don't want my suit getting broken.
  • Automated Cleaning = If I'm living in the suit this is basically required.
  • Dummy AI = Having a system to help manage everything would be a nice tool.
Defenses (170/220 Points)
  • Temperature Resistance 2 = Can travel anywhere will little issue. And I'll no longer hate winter or really hot days. The second level allows me to do stuff like be fine in a fire as well.
  • Improved Hull = If I'm living in the suit then durability will be a good thing to have.
Locomotion (220/220 Points)
  • Deep Sea/Space Module = I can go anywhere underwater, or go to space. AWESOME!
  • Flight = Why wouldn't I want to fly?
It says that the house is effectively invincible, so carpet bombs and the like wouldn't do shit.

It says that the house is effectively invincible, so carpet bombs and the like wouldn't do shit.
That's not the point though. The point is people would attempt to exterminate you, constantly. Even if your life wasn't at threat, you have to live with that over your head. Atop that, how can you trust that any of your friends like you and not simply your unlimited awesome house made of unicorn tears?

Besides. I've always found immortality overrated. At least with Nakama, I have a natural end at some point, and guaranteed happiness along the way up until the very end. So I'll still have to go with Nakama.

EDIT

You are right about human relationships being limited. Comes with mortality. I'd rather not live so long that such things become devoid of feeling. :ferret:

That's not the point though. The point is people would attempt to exterminate you, constantly. Even if your life wasn't at threat, you have to live with that over your head.
Eh, people can be Daleks towards me if they want.
As long as they were powerless if even do anything about it I couldn't give a crap who wants me dead.
I'd only care if they somehow found a way to harm those I cared for.
Atop that, how can you trust that any of your friends like you and not simply your unlimited awesome house made of unicorn tears?
Yea, that's a big concern. :/
I would say to just invite those who already like you for you, but then you have another 60-80 years where they could change and then just fake liking you.
Besides. I've always found immortality overrated. At least with Nakama, I have a natural end at some point, and guaranteed happiness along the way up until the very end. So I'll still have to go with Nakama.
If it was eternal life with no way to end I could agree.
But you are able to kill yourself anytime, so the way I see it you've simply been given the gift of choosing your time of death rather than have it forced upon you.

Status
Not open for further replies.