Childhood Plans

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethys

That Which Once Was
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
Online Availability
Varies.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Romance
I know I've seen this thread done before, but a half-assed search didn't turn up anything, so I'm going to go ahead and make this anyway.

I just saw a thread on here asking about how many jobs people have had in their life so far. Personally, I've had somewhere between 10 and 30 [don't mock my lack of memory!] and I just keep sailing through them because I haven't really found out what I want to do.. other than write, which isn't exactly lucrative at the moment.

SO.

I got started thinking about what my plans were as a kid compared to what actually happened. And I'm nosy.

I WANT TO KNOW!:

What did you want to be when you grew up when you were a kid? Did you do it? Would you still want to do it now?

I had three big things I wanted to be:
1. A Power Ranger - I didn't do it, but FUCK YES I still want to! Give me the spandex suit!
2. A chef - I didn't do it, and I don't think I would want to. I love to cook, but not for cranky people.
3. A writer - I am working on it still! 20 years in the making so far!

Power+ranger_1d138c_3370956.jpg

Oh, man. I had huge aspirations as a child. XD

I wanted to...:
1. Be a doctor, and have a huge family. I don't really desire to be a doctor any more, however, I am registering to volunteer at a hospital to just be around and try to cheer patients up. ^_^ No huge family right now. XD
2. Be a veterinarian. I'm not really inclined to do this anymore.
3. Run an animal shelter. I'd still love to do that. :D
4. Be an endangered species rescuer. As much as I'd love to do this.. When you're not even healthy enough to work at a Wal-Mart, it's unlikely you can travel the world and trek through the wilds saving potentially dangerous animals. But, I won't ever say never. ..Aside from that.
5. A writer. In technicality, this is something I've been since grade school. I've written all the time growing up, and I have no intentions to give it up. I've even got some completed books I'd like to publish, once I've got the time. I don't want this to be a main career, though, but it's something I'll more likely than not continue as a hobbyist.
6. An artist. Also something I've done a lot my entire life.. But only have a desire to do as a hobbyist, now.
7. Elementary Teacher. If my current plan doesn't go over well, this is probably what I'll end up resorting to, since I love working with children. ^_^
8. Actress. Currently, I intend to minor in Theatrical Arts, and I've partaken in my fair share of musicals and plays. Maybe some day. :3
9. Finally, what I still desire to do and fully intend to major in.. I would like, more than anything, to become a therapist. Helping people(and animals, as is probably obvious by the earlier options) is my passion, and I feel this is what I'm best suited for, career-wise.. As well as what I want to do above all else. Right now, the most likely branch of therapy I'll go into is Biofeedback, A&CT, or counselling. :3

Yeah... Lot'sssss of goals. Heh.

• Love
Reactions: Dervish and Ethys
Primarily, ever since I was a lil'turd and saw those badass Abrams tanks roaring across the desert during Operation Desert Storm on the news, I wanted to drive tanks. I very rarely had a time in my life where driving a heavily armoured behemoth with a 120mm smooth bore wasn't the end goal.

Other jobs I toyed with were a police office, which I never pursued because I feel I have the wrong kind of personality for law enforcement. I also wanted to be an archelogist for a while entirely because of Indiana Jones. The only other ideas I had were opening up a paintball field and I very seriously looked into gunsmithing. If I were in the US, I would have went for it because it's a registered trade there, and it's not nearly as common or easy to get into here in Canada.

Now I'm just imagining you driving across a paintball field in a tank.

Heh heh heh...

• Love
Reactions: Midnight Maiden
I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just saying if you did do it and didn't post it here I would be sad.

• Love
A wizard.
A hobbit.
A bard.
An artist.
A novelist.

Not in specifically in that order, though. You can tell I had very practical career choices. And the last one is still very much one of my goals.

I wanted to be a door-to-door mailman.

Unfortunately, Canada Post is dying out due to a severe lack of revenue, so I'm pursuing other, less interesting, careers.

The only goal I've ever had as a child was to write my own novel. I'm still working towards it, but it doesn't have as high of a priority anymore; right now, I'm just focused on improving my general writing skills, as they're not as good as I'd like them to be.

Write every day!

Also, now I'm picturing a Hobbit mailman.. I just.. I need this in my life.

I'm not saying you should do it, I'm just saying if you did do it and didn't post it here I would be sad.
Well, I..-

O
h jeez. :o
I took a minute to search paintball field and this came up in the results. Totally meant to be ;D
284895_194647173927246_6626052_n.jpg

..Which is why I took a few minutes to make this. ;)
[spoili]
89ccb2dff1.jpg
[/spoili]

Last edited:
Reactions: Dervish
Paintball tabks are totally legit things that people make, trust me, I've been shot at by my fair share. :P

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ethys
Game Design and Child Care Worker.

Recently gave up on the latter, and am debating going back in college for the former.

I wanted to be not dead, I succeeded at that. I also wanted to be a writer, and I'm still working on that.

1 outta 2 ain't bad.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I went through all the normal phases kids had, the ones that never last long. O__O Like acting, ballerina, magician, cop, etc.

But the ones that STUCK:

A Teacher: It was my very first childhood dream! I wanted to teach elementary school. :D As I got older I realized this wouldn't be a good job for me, because I care a little bit TOO much. I'd meddle in stuff that wasn't my business, and get too involved, and prolly be really unhappy. .___.

An Artist: My second dream! I just wanted to draw and paint and sell art. Even now I still think about doing this. Maybe not as a career, but just a little side cash. I'm not very consistent or dedicated to my art though. .__.;

A Novelist: My strongest dream that I still hold today. O___O Of course, I have only finished maybe one or two actual stories in my life. But I am a late bloomer. I believe one day I will finally sit down and write a book and become a published author. 8D I'll prolly write three books and then die before the end of my series.

When I was a child I dreamed of being:
1. Vet - Found out I'm allergic to most anything with fur so that was out of the question.
2. Travel agent - my mother was a travel agent and I wanted to be like her. With the rise of the internet, there is no need for such a position
3. Writer - no real money in it or at least I haven't found that perfect book idea that will catapult me yet lol.

• Love
Reactions: Ethys
1. Gamedev - I did go to school for this before Depression set in. I still hold it as a prime interest.
2. Comicbook writer/artist - My art is waaaay to inconsistent. Writing wise. Story boarding is something I got commended for working with game dev. So maybe, maybe I still have a shot at the Comic biz.
3. Author - Well. I plan on writing atleast one book proper before I die.

I watched a lot of the winter and summer Olympics therefore I wanted to be a figure skater. That and a astronaut, space excited me. The concept of it, even to this day, excites me. Since none of those worked out I settled with trying to make this writing thing into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.