Chasing Dreams (Peregrine x Viverescribere)

Zemira

Having not expected Eitan to get involved, Zemira blinked as her friend's soft spoken words interrupted her exasperated thoughts. Surprise lightly dusted her expression, although she wasn't entirely sure why she was so taken back by her friend knowing what he knew. He had been training as a knight, after all, and would have learned just as much as them even if he wasn't given position or title.

She shuffled over on her knees to provide him with more room, glancing back to the fireplace as his hands reached out to remove what she had only just added. However, instead of opening her mouth to argue, Zemi settled back against her heels to watch Eitan work.

It was rare that he taught her things, and the opportunity to learn from him in certain ways barely presented itself because she was always called away (read: dragged) before she could hear what new thing he had learned that she wanted to know about. Sometimes it wasn't even something she knew she'd be interested in - maybe weapons training or something - but it was always the light of excitement in his eyes that made her want to stay and listen to him ramble on and on about new stances and the strength of the sword against an axe and whatever else.

The corners of her lips curled up as he began to explain the process, her head turning to look up at him instead of what he was doing. No one would drag her away this time, and she could listen talk to him for the entirety of his moment. Her fingers entwined together on her lap, the smile on her lips growing until the expression flickered between smile and grin.

It was rather amusing watching such a burly-armed man tenderly putting together a small bundle of delicate twigs and tinder. Zemira was all too aware of just how easily he could probably snap one of the log quarters, let alone the fragile tinder.

As he lit the match, Zemi looked back to the fireplace. Her eyes widened at what he had managed to accomplish and she laughed softly in disbelief, but not because she didn't believe he'd be able to do it. She leaned back as the flame began to latch on to the tinder he had provided, nervous about how hungry the fire would become soon. Zemira looked to him, hesitating, but at his encouragement she leaned forward to gently blow on the flames as he instructed.

Another chuckle sounded from her as she watched the flames fan into something larger than before, hungrily devouring all that Eitan had offered in the form of kindling. She pulled back and looked up to him, grinning broadly, "Thank you, Eitan. For helping me. For showing me. For just... being here. You're truly... I am sure I will say this often now in our new life, but I don't know what I would do without you."

With the flames still barely formed in the fireplace, Eitan didn't dare take his eyes off of it. Kindling burned fast, and even the splinters wouldn't last long. If he didn't keep a close eye on it, it would likely go out once the last of the fuel burnt, and then they'd be right back where they started. Eitan had already gathered a collection of other small fire-feed at the edge of the fireplace, and he continued to methodically feed it to the small, flickering flame.

However, even though he was busy with the flame, he didn't forget to pay attention to Zemi. As a matter of fact, Eitan would say more of his attention was on her than the flame. If it went out, all it would take to get it started again was another match. However, each of Zemi's words was a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. If he missed it, it'd be gone forever.

Listening to her words, Eitan was once again seized by the impulse to touch her head, like he'd seen others do with the cats that kept the rats away from the cellars. Instead, he kept his hands busy with the little pieces of wood, dropping them onto the flame carefully while making sure it wouldn't singe his fingers.

"You don't need to think about it," he replied seriously, glancing away for a moment to smile softly at her. "Wherever you are, that's where I'm supposed to be. I'll always be here."

It wasn't the first time Eitan had made such a promise. He still remembered the first time he'd realized Zemi would be leaving the palace without him. They had both been small, but Zemi was a princess, and she had duties that meant she had to go with her family to far-away places sometimes. But it had still taken Eitan so much by surprise. The night before she was supposed to leave, he'd broken into her room, desperate to find some way to accompany her. It was only after he'd already made it through the window that he realized her suitcase would be far too small to hold him.

He'd left Zemi sleepless that night. It had taken her many hours to calm him down, to convince him that he couldn't come with her, that her family wouldn't allow it, but she promised she'd be alright anyways. Sometimes, Eitan still wished he'd found a way to insist on going with her, instead of finally accepting that there was nothing he could do but wait.

The flame had started gnawing on the larger twigs, and Eitan finally felt confident enough to stack some of the wedges in a teepee over it. Then, he took a deep breath, filling his lungs as far as they would go, before exhaling vigorously on the fire. The flames leaped aggressively, flaring with brilliant light and heat until his lungs ran empty once more. When the flames settled, he could see small tendrils licking at the larger pieces of wood, slowly darkening spots towards black.

Satisfied, he leaned back from the fire pit, before smiling at Zemi again. "All done. The big wood will turn into coals, and it is easy from there."

Zemira

The former princess remembered that night well. Eitan had a habit of getting distressed when they were younger and she was slowly teaching him the way of the world, but that night he had been frantic. She ended up sitting in front of the fireplace with him, which had been dying pitifully since it was so late and no one had added more wood for a while. She had pulled the fur throw-blanket from her bed to wrap around the two of them as she held him and soothed him.

She had gotten into a lot of trouble in the morning when they had been found together, having fallen asleep by the cold coals of the fire with only the blanket around them but with her also holding him. Luckily for her, everyone had been too frantic to get everything sorted for the journey that laid ahead of them, and she missed out on any sort of punishment. However, it left a sour taste in her mouth to watch Eitan being chased from her room like some sort of rat.

The young woman watched on as her friend continued to tend to the fire, the louder crackling and popping noises snapping her from the memory of that night. It was in those few moments, where she truly felt helpless and Eitan was there to pick her up again, that Zemira considered once more what life would have been like if they hadn't found each other the day the mob went after him. Or if she hadn't fought for him to stay once he had healed.

"When did you get so clever, hm?" She smiled warmly, hand reaching up to brush through the hair on the side of his hair. From there, her hand dipped down to slip between his arm and his body.

Zemi leaned into him, hand curving to hold loosely onto his arm as she rested against him. She took a moment, closing her eyes with a small exhale as she allowed her body to absorb the warmth from the fire and the comforting aura of her friend beside her. For a moment, Zemira allowed herself to simply enjoy the moment, to take a break from the thoughts of worry that included the frantic fear of being caught, or the anxiety of being recognised.

However, her mind then stumbled across a different kind of unnerving thought, one that caused her eyes to blink open. She didn't move apart from that, becoming very still at Eitan's side.

"Eitan... you are here... because you want to be, aren't you?" The young woman finally murmured, hesitant to start this line of questioning as she wasn't certain how best to phrase it for him to understand or so she didn't accidentally hurt him. "Because I... I wouldn't want you to feel like you... had to be. Do you understand what I mean? I-- I wouldn't want you to ever feel like you owed me anything or... had to be." Her gaze dropped to her knees and soon she had started nibbling at her lower lip, "I want you to be here, I want nothing else in the world. But I also want you to be happy. Are you... happy... here... with me?"

Last edited:
  • Sweet
Reactions: Peregrine
The feel of Zemi clinging to his body, soft and sweet and delicate, caused Eitan to freeze in place for a moment, and he promptly forgot to answer her question. Every thought seemed to have left his head, other than the recognition of her presence next to him.

This time, he finally didn't hold back, reaching out to gently stroke her hair. Unwilling to risk pressing too hard, Eitan touched her gently. Her hair against his fingers was almost like a phantom touch, a ghostly illusion, if it wasn't for the fact that it sent shivers running up his arm all the way to his shoulder.

Despite how nice touching her hair felt, Eitan still pulled his arm back after a couple of seconds, keeping the rest of his body cautiously still to make sure it provided a good resting platform for Zemi. There was no one here to interrupt them this time. They didn't have to maintain such a careful distance. Eitan had never been scared of the harsh glances the maids and guards had always thrown his way, but he knew the kind of annoyance they could bring about to Zemi if he didn't obey their warning.

But now, there was nothing but the soft crackling of the fire, the echo of both of their breaths, hers far faster than his own, and his faint heartbeat to keep them company. Eitan allowed his eyes to flutter closed for a moment, enjoying the two sources of warmth, Zemi and the fire, that seemed to have settled in the center of his chest, warming his heart.

It was like… hot chocolate, he decided. Sweet and dark, radiating warmth everywhere and making him happy.

However, Zemi's question caused him to open his eyes a moment later, glancing over at her. His brow wrinkled in confusion as he tried to understand her question. "Where… else would I be?" he asked in confusion. However, it seemed he hadn't quite understood her question, because Zemi continued to ask, wording it slightly different this time.

Eitan narrowed his eyes slightly in concentration, trying to dig at the question so that he could pull out the important part. However, it all got tangled up in his head a moment later, so he could only focus on the easy part of the question.

"I was just thinking… that being here with you in front of the fire is like that time you brought me hot chocolate. I enjoyed that a lot. I'm always happiest wherever you are."

It was only then that he remembered that he was supposed to be taking care of the fire. He tore his eyes away from Zemi reluctantly, glancing over to it. Fortunately, he had, in fact, added some larger pieces of wood to it earlier, and the little tongue of flame hadn't vanished. Still, he finally stacked two of the larger logs Zemi had selected before. That would be enough to keep the fire burning for an hour or two, and Zemi would likely want to go to sleep by then.

"I'm sorry. I don't think you were asking me about hot chocolate. Were you? You can try again. I'll listen better this time."

Last edited:
  • Sweet
Reactions: Viverescribere

Zemira

A deep breath was drawn in at the feeling of his hand touching her hair, and Zemi's eyes fluttered closed at the sensation. It was most unusual, since they were never permitted to touch each other in any shape or form. However, she found herself enjoying it, the gesture familiar and... right. Yet it was over too soon, and Zemi blinked her eyes back open, bringing herself back to reality.

In that short moment of peace, Zemi had wondered just what it would be like to curl up in bed with Eitan by her side. It was a scandalous thought, and one that immediately had her heart racing with the ridiculous fear that someone would be able to read her mind and see each imaginings. The last time they had been remotely close to something similar to that was when they were children. They had fallen asleep in their library nook, granted she held him rather than the other way around because of how small he was compared to her back then, but nonetheless... her mind wondered just what it would be like to have his arms, broad and strong, wrapped around her and holding her so softly to him.

Because that was what he did. He was not what people saw him to be. With such strength within his body, Eitan was the most gentlest giant she knew. So aware, he was, of his own strength, he ensured to control it. Even in this one day alone, Zemi learned that that control came with a tenderness to his touch she had never had the pleasure of witnessing until that day.

At his response, a fond smile overcame her as she thought briefly back to that memory too, "That was a good day, wasn't it?" She glanced away from him, to the fire, where she watched the flames for a moment.

She had released his arm so he could lean forward with no hinderance from her. Zemira knew how seriously he took his job in protecting her, so wouldn't get in the way of what he felt was his duty. However, it was that feeling and his question asking her to repeat and elaborate her own had her reflecting once more on what she wanted to know.

"What I mean is... I want to make sure, Eitan, that you... want to be here because you want to be. Because you like me and you know we are friends, in equal measure. I want to make sure that you aren't... that you haven't remained in the palace with me, and have now followed me here to stick by my side, because you feel as though you have to."

It was difficult to explain in terms that she believed Eitan would understand, but she was trying. Zemi looked up to her friend, a hand reaching out for his, "I want you here as a friend. I don't want you here because you feel as though you have to because of... everything that has happened. Do you understand? I want you here because you want to be here, okay?"

The feel of Zemi's fingers twining around his own almost caused Eitan to get distracted again, but he forced himself to concentrate in spite of how much is mind wanted to wander off. Zemi was asking him something important. He knew it was important because she was taking the time to ask him about it twice, and that meant she really wanted an answer from him. If she didn't care, she would have let it be instead, and that meant he had to give it the attention it deserved.

Running her words through his head, he tried to break it down, one set at a time. She wanted him here.

She wanted him here. That was good. It felt nice. He didn't know what he would do if Zemi had been unhappy that he'd followed after her, if she'd been trying to run away from everyone she knew as much as she was running away from the palace.

She wanted him here because he liked her.

That caused his eyes to waver slightly. He liked Zemi. He liked her most in the whole, wide world. A faint blush started to rise up his cheeks, and Eitan quickly directed his thoughts onwards.

She didn't want him here because he had to be.

That quickly doused the warm, fluffy feeling that had been building in his chest. Of course he had to be here. He was her knight. It was his duty, and his greatest honor, to protect her. Wherever she was, that was absolutely where he had to be, especially on a long, dangerous trip like this where there were no other knights or guards to protect her.

She didn't want him here because of that?

But she did want him here because he wanted to be?

The two were a chaotic contradiction, swirling in his mind like dogs chasing each other's tails. He liked Zemi, he followed her because of the time they'd spent together. He absolutely couldn't bear to see her being in danger by herself, and that was why he absolutely had to be here.

But she didn't want that?

Abruptly, Eitan simply gave up on thinking about it. He didn't understand how he could be here because he wants to be without feeling like he had to be here, but that didn't matter. That's what Zemi wanted, so that's what he'd do his best to do.

"Okay," he agreed, squeezing her hand gently. "I promise I'm here because I want to be."

It was true. And the fact that he left out that he also was here because he had to be here... shouldn't count as lying. Right?

• Sweet

Zemira

A warm smile immediately pulled at her lips as she continued to gaze up at him, relieved by his answer. She hadn't been sure she had really made herself clear, but if Eitan had answered her in the way he did, perhaps she did make some sort of sense to her friend.

It was merely the case of her wanting to make sure he didn't feel like he owed her anything. The day she stopped the mob from beating him to death... Zemira never wanted Eitan to feel as though he had to remain by her side after that. She wanted him there as her best friend and companion, not because he felt like he had to in order to make up for what she had done for him. She saw him as a friend, and would do anything for him. She wanted his company out of mutual fondness, not because he had a sense of duty.

If that made sense.

Finally tearing her gaze away from him, Zemira nestled close. Her hand released his to slip between his arm again before taking hold once more. It was warm, besides the now crackling fire, and after a long journey and the same stiff positioning for many hours, the heat was just what she needed.

She knew they ought to run into the local village, see what weaponry they could buy that Eitan would prefer. But the adrenaline that came with running away and needing to make sure she was well enough away without anyone being suspicious or catching on before she was already gone was beginning to fade.

Unsuccessfully attempting to stifle a yawn, Zemira exhaled softly afterwards, thinking momentarily about their next move.

"Eitan... how desperately do you need the weapons you want?" She eventually questioned, eyes closing against the light of the fire, "Be honest, because we can go and see if anywhere is open in the village now, if you would like..."

Zemi's smile caused Eitan to immediately break out in a small, silly smile in return. Clearly his answer had satisfied her, and that allowed Eitan to finally wipe out any concern he might have had over indirectly lying to her. Zemi was happy. Everything was fine.

Eitan repositioned himself carefully as Zemi tucked herself into his side, using his actions to try and create a comfortable spot for her to rest. His body was hard and lumpy, especially in comparison to the soft couches in the palace, and he didn't want her to be uncomfortable. If she was uncomfortable, she might not want to be that close to be anymore, and that would be sad. Especially since there were no longer any maids to tell them not to touch.

He found himself yawning a moment later, only realizing that he'd copied Zemi a second after it started. But he was tired. He'd been up before dawn that morning, beginning his training even before the other knights had arrived. After that, he had run all the way to Zemi. The nap in the carriage would be enough to keep him going for a while, especially if there was something he had to do, but he was still tired.

He paused for a moment, before softly petting the side of Zemi's head, pushing her slightly further into his shoulder. "It's okay," he told her. "I'm good at using a short sword, too."

He had trained with the knights a lot, and whenever he started to get used to using one sword, they would switch him to a new one. Sometimes they also made him spar with other weapons, or without a weapon at all. He never really understood why they wouldn't let him pick one and stay with it, like all the other knights did, but he was kind of grateful for it now. It meant he would be able to protect Zemi regardless of what weapons he had.

Besides, he couldn't say that he had a lot of confidence in the blacksmiths of this town. He knew all the good blacksmiths nearby had already come to the capital, because they made the weapons for the royal knights. He'd rather have one sword made by a good blacksmith than lots of poor swords. "We can get me a good sword later."

He pulled back from Zemi lightly, using a hand to hold her shoulder upright so she wouldn't fall over. "You're tired. You should go to bed."

Zemira

"O... okay. If you're sure." The beginning of her sentence was punctuated by another yawn, a free hand raising to cover her mouth, "I just... want to make sure you're happy with everything. I want you to be happy." She murmured, hand then moving from her mouth to sweep some hair from where she felt it drop in front of her closed eyes.

She had no cause to be more exhausted than Eitan, since she didn't train physically. Yet the excitement and adrenaline of running away and finding a sense of freedom were beginning to wear off, and she was beginning to feel the effects of it.

Her brow furrowed, however, as Eitan pulled away from her. Zemira blinked her eyes open reluctantly, nose wrinkling slightly at the hazy brightness that came from sleepy eyes being exposed to the light of the flames. She didn't appreciate him taking away a perfectly comfortable position for her, feeling warm in front of the fire and safe nestled in to his side. But she supposed he was right, the bed was only a few steps away and within minutes of her head hitting the pillow she knew she would be asleep.

"You're right... we both ought to sleep. We'll have an early start tomorrow with the coach leaving when it will." She reluctantly agreed, slipping her arm from his and pushing herself to her feet.

Just as her behind hit the bed, a knock sounded at the door. A few seconds passed before it was pushed open, revealing the tavern owner with the food Zemira had asked for. Waking up slightly, the former princess went through her coin purse to fetch the man his owed total for the room and the food, paying only a few pennies extra for a wake-up call in the morning, before bidding him a goodnight and locking the door behind him.

The stew provided was at least warm, the steam rising from the wooden bowls a testament to that. Zemira's stomach grumbled, and despite her previous concerns about just what may actually be in the food, it didn't take her long to finish the meal provided, mopping up the last drops with the slightly stale bread. She hadn't eaten since breakfast, and wasn't exactly used to skipping meals at the palace. With a decently sized meal now sitting in her belly, and crackling fire her lullaby, Zemi was finding it more and more difficult to stay awake.

"Come then, let's go to bed. You can have the side nearest the door, if that makes you feel better." She uttered eventually, leaving her chair and moving to stand before him, hands outstretched for him to take, "And don't argue with me on this, Eitan. I'm tired and would feel much safer with you by my side. One of us can sleep under the blanket and the other over the top with the throw over them."

• Nice Execution!
As Zemi moved towards the bed, Eitan slowly began heading for the door. He wasn't entirely ready to leave yet, the room was warm and comfortable and Zemi was here, but that didn't really matter in the end. Zemi was ready to sleep, so it was time for him to go.

However, his progress was interrupted by the sound of a knock echoing through the room. Eitan hesitated for a second, before finally opening the door. He was prepared for anything, knights from the palace or some sort of criminal here to try and take away Zemi's room, but what actually greeted him was the slightly hefty innkeeper, holding a wooden tray filled with food.

Eitan received the food carefully as Zemi stood up, paying for the meal. As soon as the tray was in his hands, he immediately began to scrutinize the food suspiciously.

Soup. Bread. Water. …And that was about it.

Only after several moments of further consideration did Eitan decide that the food did, in fact, look like food, didn't seem to contain anything strange, and would probably be fine for Zemi to eat.

Perhaps the smell was enough to lure Zemi away from bed, because she walked over to the little table. He followed her with the food, before sitting down next to her and starting to eat. While Eitan still ate alongside her, if he didn't eat Zemi often wouldn't either, he made sure to eat slowly until he was sure Zemi had her fill. Only then did he gulp down the rest of the soup, followed by the last of the bread.

It wasn't as filling as the lunch the knights would get. The soup was thin, and the bread hard. But it was more than enough to fill his stomach. Eitan still remembered the feeling of hunger, even if it had been years since it had last found him.

It was only once he finished the soup that Eitan realized this would probably be the worst meal Zemi had ever had in her life. He glanced over at her with worry, only to see her sitting there, half-lidded eyes filled with a longing for sleep.

Best to let her rest, then.

Just as he was about to stand up and help her to bed, Zemi moved in front of him, her hand outstretched. However, her words caused Eitan to pause in place, and he completely forgot to reach back out to her.

It was only a couple of moments later that he realized he had been standing there, staring at her with wide eyes. Eitan blinked, embarrassed, floundering for words.

"Zemi… this is your room." Eitan glanced around, confused, momentarily trying to avoid eye contact. "I'm not allowed to sleep in your room."

He'd never been allowed to sleep in her room. Not even when we were small, and the maids hadn't watched them quite so strictly. Even Zemi herself had said he couldn't sleep in her room. Her parents wouldn't like it, and they couldn't get in trouble.

"I'll see you in the morning?"

That had always been her promise to him. She'd see him in the morning. That's why it was okay to be apart for the night. The next morning would always be waiting.

• Sweet

Zemira

A frown settled quietly over her expression at his response, but Zemi knew she couldn't exactly get annoyed at him reiterating the lesson he had been taught over the years they had known each other. They had never been allowed to sleep in the same room, never mind the same bed.

"Things are different, now, Eitan." She began gently, understanding that it was now just another thing she would need to explain to him, "We don't have anyone here telling us what we can and cannot do. If I say I want you sleeping in my room, then you can now. No one else will tell you - us - differently."

Her outstretched hands, empty and growing cold, reached a little further to take his into a tender grasp as he uttered the words she always said to him. See you in the morning. Zemi was determined to keep her in the room with her, not wanting him to curl up outside the door like some mongrel dog.

"Eitan, you remember the lie I told people? About us being married? Well... some people may find it... odd if you sleep outside the room. Husbands sleep inside the room, in the bed, beside their wife. If you sleep outside and someone sees, they may figure out we're lying." Her eyes searched his, hoping that her explanations were making sense to her friend, "So you must stay in the room, okay? And-- and any room that we stay in in the future."

Zemi turned her head to look over her shoulder to the bed, contemplating for a moment before looking back with a reassuring smile, "And I would feel safer that way, if you do as I suggested, okay? Take the side nearest the door, have one of the weapons near you." She kept her eyes on him, desperate to just have him agree so she could go to sleep.

"Please? I promise it will be okay, Eitan. We won't get into any trouble now, not here."

Last edited:
Eitan considered Zemi's words carefully as she took his hand. No one was telling them what to do anymore, what was right, what was wrong. Instead, they could do whatever we felt was right.

Eitan could hardly remember the time when he'd first been brought to the palace, the night when he'd wanted to follow Zemi into her room for the very first time, and had also been cast out for the first time. Then, he'd been worried that everything would fall apart again.

Zemi had saved his life, brought him somewhere safe, given him food. If he was separated from her, would it all suddenly vanish as quickly as it had come? It took time before Eitan was able to sleep peacefully, and believe that it wouldn't all vanish like a dream.

Over time, he'd grown used to the fact that there were times Zemi and he simply had to be apart.

Even as Eitan thought, he felt his hand unconsciously curling tighter around her fingers. Her hand was soft and warm, so different from his own calloused palm. For a moment, he was worried that his skin would scratch her.

And then, all his thoughts faded away under the sound of her voice.

Please.

Zemi was asking him. Asking him to stay. To keep her safe.

And those were the two things that he'd always wanted most in the world.

"Okay," Eitan finally replied, when Zemi's words came to an end. He couldn't remember everything she'd tried to explain to him, to tell him why it would be okay. But it didn't really matter.

It didn't matter, because this time it was Zemi asking him to stay. In the past, even if she wanted him to stay, she'd asked him to go. But now? Now Eitan would stay. Even if they were still back in the palace, even if he'd get in trouble for it, he would still have stayed.

Eitan stood up from the table where they'd eaten dinner, picked up the short sword, and walked over to the bed. Carefully, he sat down on the side of the bed that was closer to the door, and removed his shoes. "Time to sleep, Zemi."

Zemira

It was a relief when Eitan didn't continue to try and argue with her, or even simply ask for an explanation regarding what she meant. Zemira was tired, and she just wanted to curl up in the rickety bed and fall asleep.

However, she did watch him for a moment as he sat on the bed, untying his shoes and uttered those four words to her. A soft smile curled at her lips and she finally began to move herself, heading to the bed to sit on the opposite side. She leaned over to unclip her riding boots, pulling her feet from them with a small 'o' forming on her lips at the ache it immediately caused. She did pause, however, with her fingers lingering on the buttons of her blouse. A smaller, more flexible version of a corset was underneath, which she wouldn't necessarily mind undoing slightly to sleep in, but while she was comfortable to sleep beside Eitan, her teachings and propriety held her back from asking for help.

Clearing her throat, Zemira lowered her hands and instead laid out on the bed, curling up and attempting to get comfortable as best as she could, "Good night, Eitan." She murmured finally, pulling the blanket up to her waist and allowing her eyes to shut.

The next morning they had been woken as they had asked, with Zemira much less keen to get back on the stagecoach due to the early rise and the aches her body informed her of that morning. Hurriedly, she got her boots back on and ensured they were both ready, checking time and time again that nothing had been forgotten and that Eitan was alright.

She had woken, during one point in the night, to find herself curling up against his back. Her legs neatly tucked behind his under the blanket and her forehead lightly pressing against the spot between his shoulder blades, a hand resting against the one side of his spine, some fingers straight and some curled into a fist.

However, she wasn't about to reflect on it, or ask if she had woken him because of it. It made her cheeks flush to think of the intimate position, although she told herself it was because she didn't want Eitan to think of her as some bed hogger.

When they got onto the stagecoach, someone had taken their seats from the day before, meaning they had to choose elsewhere. So, allowing Eitan to take the lead on where he wanted them, Zemira allowed herself to be placed where he felt safest. She smothered a yawn, nose wrinkling in the effort to do so, but she did lean into his arm, pulling her cloak tighter around her just as the coach lurched forward and signalled the beginning of their second day of travel.

"We should have bought some food to bring on the journey with us," Zemira whispered to him, chasing off a shudder that had occurred due to the cool, dewy morning, "I'm sorry I didn't think of that. I should have." Her tone was indictive of her self-irritation, the small furrow to her brow providing further evidence. It was natural that Zemi wouldn't have thought of such a detail, so used to having this arranged and organised for her. However, she was starting to regret not paying more attention to real world around her and the skills it would have allowed her to learn.

Exhaling heavily, Zemi shook her head at herself before allowing it to lay against his shoulder, eyes shutting as the carriage bumped and rattled away from the tavern.

Eitan did not sleep well that night.

The knowledge that Zemi was sleeping right next to him kept swimming through his head. Eitan had never really thought about whether or not he was a restless sleeper. He was used to sleeping on a small bed, and wouldn't have guessed that he would have any problems sleeping on half of a large bed.

But Zemi was there. Every time he moved his leg, Eitan was afraid he was going to bump into her, disturbing her or upsetting her. He didn't know how the night passed, mixed bits of dreams mixing into his memory of the dark room.

When Zemi rolled over in the bed, her hand pressed against his back, Eitan was instantly awake. He froze in place, thoughts spinning in useless circles, desperately trying to figure out what to do. Should he wake her? Would she be unhappy if he did?

In the end, Eitan just lay there, stiffly, until she rolled away again on her own. Only then did he fall back into a fitful sleep. It was almost a relief when the innkeeper finally knocked on the door.

Eitan followed behind Zemi as she got us out of the inn and back towards the carriage. Would they have to do that again tomorrow night? Maybe then he'd actually be able to sleep more.

Having ridden in the carriage safely for the entire day, Eitan was less worried about where Zemi and he would sit. As soon as the carriage began moving, Eitan fell asleep once more.

Hours later, he woke with a start, forced to confront the realization that he'd just been remiss in his duties.

A faint ringing echoed in his ears, the leftover echo of a high pitched shriek that had carried over from far away. Eitan knew that noise. It was a familiar strangeness, which left behind a strange certainty of knowledge in his mind.

Target. West. Strangers, food.

Eitan's entire body went tight with tension, his eyes darting around the carriage. It was only then that he realized no one else had heard the noise.

Gather. Gather quick.

He turned, carefully tugging on Zemi's sleeve to wake her up.

"Zemi. Wake up. There are monsters. They're coming."

• Love

Zemira

"Monsters? Did-- did h-he just say monsters?"

Zemi blinked herself awake at the tug on her sleeve, frowning slightly at the ache in her neck that had formed after her awkward positioning during the time she had been sleeping.

"Y-you! You there. Did you just say monsters are coming?"

She was fully awake by the second question, sharply turning her head (and grimacing at the sharp pain it caused to shoot up into the base of her skull) to look at the man that was say besides the young boy that talked to them yesterday for a short while. The man stared at Eitan from over his half-crescent glasses, the book in his hand lowered to his lap. The young boy had paled, looking as though he was about to be sick. Whispers broke out among the other passengers, with expressions of disbelief and confusion and fear differing depending on the person.

Zemi ignored him, looking back to Eitan and reaching a hand up to gently take hold of his chin and have him look at her, "A-are you sure? How do you know?" She whispered, eyebrows knitting together as she tried to determine how he knew such a thing before even the guards on the outside of the carriage.

However, it would seem her answer would never arrive, as shouting soon sounded from the front and back of the stagecoach. Immediately the vehicle lurched forward, sending Zemi surging back into her seat and reaching out to grab Eitan's hand as the carriage sped forward. Fear immediately filled her, pressing down on her chest and threatening to suffocate her.

She had never seen monsters before, or ever been under the threat of one. This was one experience she hoped to never have.

A scream escaped her as something slammed into the side of the back of the carriage, other passengers also yelling and screaming and shouting as the vehicle balanced precariously onto two wheels before coming back down onto all four. Zemi turned to bury herself into Eitan's side, pressing her face into his chest as the carriage continued to race forward.

Until it didn't.

Squealing whinnies shattered the air, snapping wood and the yells from the men outside the carriage were all unnerving as it seemed to begin to slow. Soon, the ringing of swords being drawn from sheaths and the slicing of flesh echoed from outside, pained cries and unearthly screeching replaced the panic.

Zemi, with her own heavy and shaking breath, face paling and hands shaking furiously as her back pressed against Eitan's side. A child started crying, a woman screaming, breaking the silence within the carriage.

Claws began to shred and rip at the wood of the carriage walls, snarls and squeals and screeches. Then a clawed paw broke through, grabbing onto the nearest body: an older man, in a wool jacket and greying hair. He yelled as the claws dug deep into his side and stomach, pulling him harshly against the side of the carriage but stopping there as the paw carried on, ripping a chunk of muscle and flesh from his body. The appearance of blood was instant and people immediately clambered away from him despite his desperate pleads for help.

"E-Eitain, we-we got to get out of here." Zemira gasped, her tongue thick in her mouth as she fought back the bile and sick that threatened to be expelled at the sight of the man dying before her.

Another gap opened, in the roof this time. A woman didn't move away quick enough, and was snatched up and pulled through. Her screams lasted a second.

Zemira looked to her friend, fear and tears filling her eyes, "Please, Eitan. How do we get out?" She begged for his knowledge now, for his help.

Last edited:
"I'm sure," Eitan tried to reply. He could hear the keening of the monsters drawing closer and closer with every second. How could no one else hear it? It was so loud, piercing through the air.

Here! It is here!

"I can..." Eitan had no chance to finish his explanation. One of the guards outside the carriage had finally noticed the approaching danger. Eitan could hear shouting, mixed voices, the whinny of the horses, and suddenly the carriage lurched underneath them, rushing forward across the uneven ground. Eitan clung tightly to his seat with one hand, the other reaching out to brace Zemi's shoulder as she buried into his chest. He had to make sure the lurching carriage wouldn't unseat her.

But he could still hear the monsters outside, the high pitched noises that came from them, mixed among barks and yelps and growls. Gradually, Eitan began to pick out individuals passing information back and forth between each other.

It runs!

After it!

Would they be able to escape? Eitan had fought monsters before, but it had always only been one on one, in the palace's dueling arena, surrounded on all sides by heavily equipped knights. This was different. A faint vibration began to build in the depths of his throat, but Eitan clamped down on the noise, his lips pressed tight together. He couldn't do that.

ⲕυ∈⨍⟆⫯𝜏, go ahead. Circle around.

Go. Will go.

Eitan's breath tightened in his chest, his hand releasing the seat to begin clawing at his backpack for the short sword Zemi had given him yesterday. The carriage was going to be attacked. Whatever was outside was just playing with them. They wouldn't be able to run away, and that meant they'd have to fight. He'd have to fight. He had to keep Zemi safe.

Get it!

The crash shook the entire carriage again, the horses squealing with the sound of breaking bones and tearing flesh, and Eitan pulled Zemi tighter into his chest, the other hand finally managing to draw the short sword from his bag. The four people escorting the carriage outside were screaming, while the inside of the carriage was deadly silent.

Eitan could hear the sound of teeth tearing, claws scraping, and wet liquid splattering the side of the carriage. He wished it was just the horses, but he knew better. And the monsters wanted them next.

Get it open!

The wood was weak compared to the strength of the monsters, splintering under only a couple of blows. Eitan almost lunged forward reflexively as the creature's long claws broke through the wall, his sword flinching. The feel of Zemi by his side kept him still. These people didn't matter to him, not the way she did. And he didn't know what he would do if she ended up getting hurt or killed because he was trying to save some unrelated person.

The old man, the woman. The monsters were getting bolder, striking at the carriage persistently to get at the food that was hidden inside. It wouldn't be long before they busted the whole thing open. And then...

"Don't worry," Eitan said softly, his hand stroking at Zemi's back. "I'll keep you safe."

He didn't know how he'd do it. But he'd do it. Somehow.

Open it. It's mine. Mine!

No. The monster couldn't have them. It couldn't have Eitan, and it couldn't have Zemi. I couldn't have Zemi because she was...

'Mine!'

The word had rose unbidden to him, but it wasn't a word that escaped his lips. Instead, it was an unearthly shriek, a familiar echo that had, until only moments ago, surrounded the carriage.

Who?

'Mine! She is mine! You cannot have.'

It is food. I want. I take.

'You cannot have. I will fight.'

Fight... Fight! Duel?

'Duel.'

Eitan had not noticed that the carriage had stopped being attacked the moment the first note had left him. Instead, he stood up, moving almost mechanically towards the carriage door, the short sword still tightly clutched in one hand.

• Love

Zemira

"E-Eitan. E-Eitan!"

Panic was an obvious emotion, as was fear, but those reactions were all directed towards the monsters outside, keening for the blood and flesh within the carriage. The alarm and horror that Zemira now experienced now had a new source - the sudden stillness of her beloved friend. A glazed look came over his eyes, suggesting to her that he wasn't truly present to the whimpering and sobbing sounding from the survivors of the attack which...

Which had seemed to pause.

Her hand pulled away from her friend's shoulder at the keening screech that just seemed to vibrate from him abruptly and harshly. The hand that had sharply retracted from him came to slap over her ears along with her other hand, gasping at the suddenness of such a high-pitched noise. Others on the carriage reacted in similar manners: flinching, wincing, grimacing, covering their eyes and even throwing themselves to the floor of the carriage in the fear of another attack from the outside.

Such noises had been made by him before, when they were younger and in cases where he didn't understand situations or he had been highly stressed. It wasn't something she was unaccustomed with, however it had been years since since a shriek had unearthed itself from the depths of her friend's chest and in the current circumstance, any new, aggressive noise was enough to send her heart rate spiking.

Zemira's own eyes glistened with tears as Eitan sat stiffly, sword in hand, barely acknowledging the quiet, tentative whispers that began to broke out asking if the monsters had stopped. The carriage no longer shook and trembled with each blow that came, and despite being relieved herself, she now had a new worry. Eitan was on the move, standing and no no longer seeming as deep within himself but now filled with a determination that was echoed within the strides he took towards the carriage doors.

"Eitan-- please-- wait--!" She didn't want to be left alone, nor did she want him going out there to face the monsters alone. A tightness formed in her chest, a pain hitting her unlike any she had ever experienced at the possibility of Eitan dying. Dying because of her stupid decision to leave the castle and run away from her duties.

Others within the carriage shied away from him, moving towards the areas of the vehicle that still had a sturdiness to it that filled them with a false sense of security. The old man, who had more chunks ripped from his body, laid motionless, eyes open and unseeing.

Zemira stumbled weakly from her seat to walk down the aisle just behind her friend, focusing her attention on him and not the body that she feared he would become like if he set foot outside the carriage. "Eitan don't-- please don't. I-- I can't-- I don't want to lose you." She whispered, her tone quiet and desperate and pleading, like that of a terrified child.

Last edited:
There was another sound echoing in Eitan's ears, different from the high pitched whines that occasionally echoed from outside the carriage. Soft, light, sweet. Scared.

Zemi's voice.

Eitan paused for a moment, glancing back behind him to see Zemi's messy, dark hair, and her wide eyes, filled with moisture. For a moment he hesitated, the sight of her worry causing his heart to feel a stab of pain. However, another noise from the monsters outside reminded him that he couldn't stand still. He had to go out precisely because she was scared, because it was dangerous. Only then would she be safe.

He lifted one large hand, placing it on top of her head for a moment. Although he wanted it to be reassuring, he knew his hand would be heavier than usual, holding her back. He'd always followed her around. Normally, having her follow him would have been the happiest thing. But he couldn't allow that right now.

"It's okay," he reassured, hoping that his words would still have weight even if he could offer no reason for his promise. "We can't just hide in here. I have to… I have to duel for your safety."

Duel. It was a word he'd heard a lot among the knights. They loved to hold practice duels, proving their strength and talent to watching people. It was the best word he could pick for the fight that was to come, even if it wasn't exactly right.

He couldn't find another word that would tell Zemi about the way that concept had struck him. When the strange note had left his throat, when he'd agreed to the fight, it had become a form of contract. An obligation, a promise, a sacred duty to determine right and leadership. If Eitan did not fight back, everyone in this carriage would truly belong to the monster outside, and there was no way he could allow that.

"Don't come out."

And then Eitan quickly opened the door to the carriage and hopped outside, before Zemi's heartbroken expression could hold him back any longer.

The monsters were waiting outside. They'd encircled the carriage completely, growling and whining. It only took a split second for Eitan to identify them.

Wisp Mongrels. A pack hunter, bearing little resemblance to dogs despite their names. Eitan had only ever seen drawings of them in the books. They resembled muscle bound elk, massive, broad shouldered, weighty, and powerful, if it wasn't for the fact that they had a head like a dragon, a long, thick tail heavy enough to knock over a tree, and massive, four clawed feet, each toe with a claw as long as Eitan's own fingers.

The little short sword in his hands felt utterly insignificant.

It only took him an instant to identify the leader of the mongrel pack. Branching antlers rose from its head, protecting the back of its neck, and a giant green crystal embedded in the center of its chest.

The monster's entire body rumbled with the growl that emerged from its throat as Eitan emerged, glowing, green breath huffing out of its mouth, the frills at the base of its skull fluttering. He could almost feel the confusion in the noise. Eitan shuddered slightly. Humans considered him a monster. Monsters considered him a human.

But he couldn't wait around.

'Duel,' he prompted, and only then did the monster's growls fade.

Duel. Rules are fight.

'Okay.'

The sound passed back and forth between them, vibrating through the air as it arced back and forth. A sound from Eitan, a sound from the monster.

Communication.

It was simple, rudimentary, but it was communication. Information passed between them, in the same manner as between two monsters. He had always known he was a half blood. It had haunted his life from the moment he was old enough to remember. But he'd never communicated with a monster before.

Did other people know that was possible? Was that why they hated him so much?

Win rule is first blood?

Eitan froze, glancing back and forth between the monster's long claws and his own short sword. One wrong move and he'd lose.

'No.'

Win rule is pinning?

'No!'
That one was even worse. How could he possibly pin something that weighed that much more than him?

Win rule is… death?

Eitan felt another shudder run through his body, his heart rate accelerating and a burning crawling up his throat. Death.

But if he lost, Zemi would die. These monsters would tear her apart. If he was to lose, he would rather go first.

'Yes.'

Eitan's grip tightened around the sword, he crouched down, preparing to move the instant the monster struck. However, unexpectedly, the monster didn't seem to move.

Win rule... must be death?

'Yes.'

Win rule must, must be death?

Why was it hesitating? Monsters were vicious, bloodthirsty beasts. Shouldn't they be fighting by now? He had to protect Zemi!

'Yes! Mine! Death before loss!'

The monster stared at him, before it shrieked in agreement, a noise Eitan found himself echoing before he even understood why. The fight had begun.

The green gem on the monster's chest suddenly flashed with light, and it was hurtling forward with a burst of explosive speed Eitan could hardly react to. He knew their ability was explosive speed. He knew it, but seeing it for himself was so different. He was barely able to throw himself out of the way in time, but he still felt a burst of pain arching down his left arm. One of the mongrel's claws had scratched his arm open, and golden blood was already starting to ooze out of the wound.

Before he had time to react, the beast had pivoted on the spot, its giant tail swinging for his head like a battering ram. Eitan ducked further, lifting his sword as he moved. The blade sliced open a narrow gash as the tail passed over his head, causing a few drops of golden blood to splash onto the ground.

But the mongrel still had the upper hand. Before Eitan could get back to his feet the monster had finished its turn and was charging at Eitan, head lowered, the ferocious prongs of its antlers heading right for him. He lunged out of the way, hands touching the ground first, before he flipped back to his feet, jumping just in time to avoid the tail that was swinging his way again.

This time, Eitan was more prepared. It was following a pattern. As the tail swished by under him Eitan lunged to the side himself, one hand reaching out to catch the frilled appendage on the side of the monster's head, the other hand driving his short sword into the mongrel's muscled shoulder. The sword didn't cut deep, blocked by tough flesh, but it was enough for Eitan to catch a ride on the spinning monster, his feet momentarily lifting off the ground. The moment the monster paused, Eitan released the side of its head, determined to drive the sword in deeper.

Instead, the monster froze.

Surrender.

Eitan felt his muscles tense up, interrupting his attempt to drive the sword further into the monster's side.

Surrender. Small prey not worth more hurt. Sheyours. Rest still mine. Good duel?

He could hear the people screaming in the background. Their words were muffled, but he could still make out one of them. Monster. Unconsciously, his eyes dropped to the wound on his left arm, which was still oozing golden blood. Which monster were they talking about now?

He would be handing them over to the monsters, everyone else in the carriage. The young boy and his merchant uncle, the elderly woman, the young couple. But Zemi would live. Zemi would live, and the others would still be alone in the middle of the woods, with no carriage, no driver, no guard, no supplies.

'Good duel.'

Eitan pulled the sword out of the monster's side and stepped back. The monster, too, hummed and moved aside. Eitan's eyes turned to the carriage. "Zemi. We can go now. Let's go."

Zemira

Zemi didn't want to let him go. He looked so serious. Well, he always looked serious since the majority of the time he was either trying to concentrate and understand things, or focusing on his self-sworn duty to protect her. Nonetheless, Zemi could scarcely remember a time where he looked this serious that there seemed to be a heaviness to his shoulders. He was about to head out to fight monsters... so that would explain it, but with that thought came a weight that settled too comfortably on her own shoulders.

If she hadn't run away, if she hadn't left the castle, if she had only just... accepted what hand fate had dealt her... Eitan wouldn't have to be facing his possible death in that moment.

"...Eitan..." She reached out to grasp his arm at his final words to her, don't come out. But her hand clasped around thin air, and the carriage door shut behind him.

Immediately, with trembling body, Zemi clambered onto one of the carriage seats to kneel and pull back the shutter that kept the window closed. Cool air graced her face, stinging her cheeks and helping to dry her eyes. Tears continued to fight their way forward though, a small squeak of a whimper escaping her at the sight that was manifesting before her, a hand raising to press against her lips.

The creature was... towering. It looked brutal, savage, cruel... something akin to beasts that roam in nightmares. Zemi had been taught what monsters roamed their world, but it took her longer to identify these ones than Eitan, who's job was to study them religiously.

"He... he be communicatin' with them." A female voice whispered from within the carriage and Zemira tore her eyes away to look to the elderly woman who spoke. "Look-- Look! It growls first an' then he do. How-- How is that possible? How can he be... understandin'?"

Swallowing thickly, Zemi glanced back just as the noises began to finish, a hum of murmured discussing breaking out behind her as those left alive in the carriage began to discuss Eitan's unusual behaviour.

When the fight began, her nails bit into the wood of the ledge she clung to, hands pressed against it to keep herself propped up and as close to the carriage window as possible. A shriek echoed within the walls of the carriage at the Wisp Mongrels unearthly burst of speed, and it wasn't until a hand laid on her back to rub reassuringly between her shoulders that Zemira realised the noise had come from her. At the first spill of Eitan's blood, seeing the gold and the wound from which it dripped from, tears finally dripped down her cheeks in her own pain of what her friend was going through. Each inhale and exhale shook as she attempted to keep herself composed, although she soon had something else to focus on...

"G-gold! He-- He's bleeding gold!" The woman from the couple exclaimed, eyes wide as she pushed herself back from the window, having taken the spot of the elderly woman a second ago, the male of the couple taking her place hurriedly to see what she was talking about. "By God, she's right! He's.... he's dripping gold! Just like that filthy monster."

A handful of faces turned to look at her, and Zemi froze, the only movement coming from her eyes which flickered between them all. What would they do as a result? Would they kill her simply for knowing and being with Eitan? Would they kill him if he returned victorious, despite what he had just willingly done for them?

The man near the window stepped forward, shrugging off the hand of the merchant, whose nephew clung to his side, "Did you know?" He questioned, eyes narrowing as Zemi quietly sank into the seat, one hand drifting from the ledge to tuck against her chest as a fist.

"I-I knew."

Immediately the man's lips formed a sneer and he leaned down, "You knew... an' you let that fucking half-breed mongrel onto this carriage with us."

The woman quickly stepped down the aisle to grasp his arm, pulling him back, "Y-you don't know what he's got over her-- she could've had no choice, Aidan--"

"I had a choice," Zemi challenged, though her voice was small, nervous about engaging in confrontation and anxious to get back to watching Eitan to make sure he was okay, "Just like he had a choice when he stepped out there to try and protect all of you. How-- how could you be so cruel? To judge him on his blood when his heart is so pure?"

The man, Aidan, scoffed, freeing his arm from his partner, "You've been blinded-- monster-fucker. He'll turn on you some day, give in to the side that lives in the dark within him, and you'll wish you were free of him."

Her face paled at what she had been called, shocked at such profanity and disgusting behaviour. She said nothing, staring up at the couple as fresh tears pricked her eyes and the woman dragged Aidan away. As they shuffled down the aisle, the rest of those in the carriage seemed to step away from her too. Zemi sniffed softly, wiping her nose with the back of her sleeve before she pushed herself up weakly to see how the fight was going.

Eitan was... he was in the air. His sword driven into the monster's shoulder, but all seemed to have stilled. Even the air, the breeze no longer gracing the trees that lingered nearby. The carriage door had been opened by this point, and a handful of the carriage patrons were hurling abuse, led by Aidan. Monster. Fiend. Beastly creature.

Unable to stay in the desolate carriage any longer, Zemira shoved her way passed the rest of them to stumble out, only to glance up and see Eitan facing her. Her feet carried her, at pace, to where he stood and soon she was barrelling into him. Her head buried into his chest, and her arms had thrown themselves around his neck. In that moment she just needed his presence, nothing else, no reassurances or questions. She just wanted to hold her friend.

"We need to get away from them, Eitan-- they-- they don't care for what you've just done..." She shook her head, causing her forehead to rub slightly against his chest, "They... they were so vindictive, so cruel... I no longer wish to be near them. L-Let me get my pack, and then we can go. We-- we'll need to tend to your arm... before infection sets in." She swallowed, pulling back to look up at him.

She may have saved him years ago, but now he had just saved her. Not that she ever held the former experience against him, but in any case, they were even now. And she would be sure he understood that, and thus reiterate to him that he didn't need to look after her now... if he felt like he had to in order to make up for certain things.

Reluctantly, Zemi left his side to hesitantly gather her pack from the back of the carriage, other items having become loose due to the attack that was just inflicted. Her eyes strayed nervously to the beasts that surrounded them, but they stayed away, only the occasional snarl or quietened shriek escaping them as they watched her. At least they were just making noise, the humans in the carriage were a lot worse. Continuing to belittle her, call her names, shout to Eitan he was a monster.

It only served to make her tears gather faster.

Hastily, Zemi returned to his side, eyes anxiously focusing on the beasts again, "W-why aren't they leaving? Th-they have no business here anymore... why do they linger, Eitan?"

• Love
Eitan only remained still for a moment after Zemi climbed out of the carriage, then he was quickly moving forward to meet her halfway. The pain in his arm seemed to vanish completely as Zemi threw herself into his arms.

He held her gently with his injured arm, sword stained with golden blood still clasped in his other hand. He could only hold her gently, because he was afraid that his sudden burst of violence might somehow spill over and hurt her.

He'd heard the words of the people in the carriage. How could he not, when they did nothing to disguise their voices. Monster. He'd turn on her. Give in to his dark side. He wanted to deny it, but the trade he'd just made silenced him, and left an aching in his chest.

He'd given these people to the monsters to save Zemi. Would there come a day when he'd give Zemi to the monster to save himself…?

No. Never. Never, never, never, never.

Never.

"Yes, Zemi. Let's leave quickly."

He released Zemi somewhat reluctantly, before standing there dumbly, waiting for her to gather their bags. He knew he should have been helping, but he couldn't bring himself to move. He was still watching the mongrel pack leader that crouched nearby, its heavy tail lashing back and forth as it watched the carriage excitedly.

Seeing that the monsters had not attacked Zemi after she emerged from within the carriage, one of the people in the carriage finally gathered his carriage. He hopped out of the door, his back pressed against the wood as though it would protect him somehow, looking as though he was prepared to return to its relative safety at the slightest sign of danger.

The monsters stirred excitedly, whining.

'Please. Wait.'

My prey.

'Yes. But not until we are gone.'

Not a part of duel winning.

'Please. Favor.'
He didn't want Zemi to see their deaths. Maybe then she could imagine that they'd all get away safely.

The monsters settled, and the man began to edge away from the carriage. As soon as he saw the monsters still frozen in place, he broke into a run, bolting away from the trail for the edge of the forest.

Prey flees.

'They are slow. You are fast, strong, many. They will not get far. Please.'

Okay.

At the leader's words, one of the mongrels slipped away, stalking quietly behind the fleeing man. But the remaining survivors did not spot its actions. Emboldened by the success of one, the other people were forcing their way out of the carriage, preparing to bolt in every direction even as cruel words continued to fall out of their mouths. Some of the braver ones even followed Zemi's example, racing to the back of the carriage to gather their belongings.

Zemi was coming back, and Eitan took one of the bags from her as soon as she was close enough, ignoring the way the weight caused his injury to sting. "They…"

She was always so clever. He'd tried to hide it from her, but she was figuring it out already. Why couldn't she have been silly, just this once?

He could lie. Couldn't he?

"They will leave. Once they're done."

Apparently not.

• Love