Changing Skies

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
She barely heard the words. She only felt the rumbling in his chest, the warmth - no, the glorious HEAT - that radiated from him and the soothing of his own power against her own. It was enough for now. She knew, deep down, that she needed the Ocean. She needed her other half, but right now the Sun would suffice...and he sufficed very, very well. Ryethke could feel the earth calming, soaking up the lazy rays of sunlight, growing lethargic within her....even as the fire at the core of her spirit leaped up in response to the Sun's nearness.

It was that surge of energy, a strange energy to her, that brought the Fae back to herself and she looked up at Ciro with wide brown eyes, finally SEEING him...and taking note of where she was. Ryeth leaped back like a cat doused with water, stammering as her cheeks burned a fire-engine red. "I...I....I am so...sorry....uh...s..sorry.."

Oh, stars, what was she doing?! One did NOT just go over and TACKLE the SUN when one has only known him for FOUR DAYS!!

Ciro laughed and used his now free arm to put the mail down. "It's fine. Luna told me that she woke up the earth part of you...it's good to see you, Gaia." He turned away from the stove and brushed his hands off. "I guess we should start up training sessions for you over here, too...if you're having troubles controlling the Earth side of you."

He grabbed her a glass of water and handed it over. "How's training with Aiden going though?"

Syl sniffed around a little and looked upstairs. That's where his moon was. Hmm...He looked over at Ryethke and started trying to sneak upstairs. His human form wasn't so sneaky though...

Ryeth took the glass of water, still red in the face, but not stuttering anymore as Ciro's calmness seemed to wash over her, soothing her nerves without her consent. She found she didn't really mind, though, and leaned back against a counter, taking a sip of from the glass and then glancing toward the stairs. She turned her head and raised a brow at her wolf. {Syl, if you wake Luna up and she goes on a rampage, I will personally whip your hide with blackberry vines. You can go up, but be quiet.} She flashed him a smile before turning her head away and focusing once more on the Sun.

It was really, really hard not to.

The Fae mulled over his question and his words of sorta-advice before speaking, feeling her power calm more and more the longer she absorbed the sunlight, the energy that Ciro gave off without even trying. It helped her mind focus more than it had all day. It was a wonder Aiden had gotten anything good out of her at all!

"Aiden is a good teacher. He's helped me see that fire isn't my enemy, not really, and that painful destruction is only a means toward a greater beauty....if I let it become so." She sighed, tilting her head back until it thumped against the cupboards behind her, dark brown eyes searching the ceiling absentmindedly. "I don't think he will need to teach me how to draw the flames forth, I've never had a problem with that. I just lack the control over them." She frowned. "It's a problem I never had with the earth....until now."

That last bit was said grumpily as her head came down again and she looked at Ciro, wanting to blame him for it.....and knowing she couldn't. It wasn't his fault. It just...sucked.

{Ugh...yes, mom....} He climbed the stairs carefully and slipped into Alcmene's room. He slid into bed beside her and curled up, just wanting to be near her. If Ryethke got to be by the sun, he should be allowed to be by the moon.

Alcmene rolled over and wrapped her arms around him, letting out a wing and wrapping that around him too. She was happy to have him near for once. Ryethky seemed to occupy most of his time. She was fine with it really, but she did miss him.

Ciro nodded. "Did he show you his scars? He usually shows them to his students on the first or second day." He sighed, leaning back against the kitchen's center island so he could look at her and keep an eye on what he was cooking at the same time. It looked like some sort of stew, enough to last him and his sister a while. "Did he tell you how he got them?"

Ryeth cast a look after Sylvester for his tone, but focused back on Ciro again when he moved, mesmerized by anything and everything he did in a way she'd not been the last time they'd seen each other. It was almost enough to make her wonder if she was losing her mind, but the power inside her was perfectly content with it so she chalked it up to that. It was just easier to say that she was the Earth, he was the Sun and the Earth liked the Sun. Easier and it just might be true. It could be that was all that was going on here.

She hoped it was. The last thing she needed right now was a crush...

And he was talking about Aiden, her teacher....right, Aiden! The Fae blinked, getting her mind back on track and answered the question. "Yeah, he did, but he would only say he fell into a fire and it was an accident." Ryeth looked at Ciro through her lashes and red hair, her lips pressed together in displeasure. "He was lying, though. Or at least partly lying. Something else happened." She just didn't know what it was.

Ciro nodded. "He wasn't treated well as a child. It wasn't a good home. There was a family gathering out in the woods around a bonfire with copious amounts of alcohol. Long story short, his father picked him up and threw him into the fire. The only one to survive the blast that he let out was his younger cousin. She's also a pyrokenetic. Being thrown into the fire and...I guess the pain of all that let out his powers, and her seeing him erupt let out hers. Most humans let theirs out in times of life-threatening crisis or anger. Human born werewolves usually rip their parents apart during their first change if their parents aren't werewolves themselves. Then they know what to expect and usually push for it."

He gave a light shrug, as if that was just the way of the world and it was neither good nor bad. He stepped up to stir the pot of stew, then looked at her. "If you want a story that's just as bad, ask about Emily's. Most of them have really bad stories...Alcmene and I, I guess, are lucky that way."

Ryeth honestly wasn't sure what to say back to him. Her heart hurt. For Aiden. For Emily, though, she knew not her story. For all those out there with similar stories. She had the overwhelming desire to cradle them all and heal their hurts but she knew it wasn't possible. It had never been possible. All she could ever do was try to ease their pain with soothing touches. The grass brushing over their skin, the rustling of leaves and random animal that brightened their day. So many things they took for granted, didn't even realize was her and all she wanted was for them to stop crying, to feel whole again.

There were just some things not even time could heal, though.

"You and Luna have your own problems and they are no less than anyone else's." Ryeth replied quietly, holding her arms across her chest and stomach as she looked out the window, her dark brown eyes holding the sadness of ages. "I don't need anymore bad stories, Ciro. I've lived my own, and I have seen and heard too many others. There are many more to come before this is all over."

"Many, many more." He sighed and reached up, running his fingers through his blond hair. "So, how's Syl doing? Alcmene told me you did something special for him, but she never told me what..." He didn't see what either woman saw in the mutt, but they saw something and they all got mad at him if he said anything to the contrary...it was just a wolf...just a werewolf...they had been walking the earth for ages and ages, since there were wolves and humans walking around. And he didn't want to know how the first one came about. That was something that happened at night. Something about the moon giving the earth a gift of warriors to protect her.

It wasn't his business. "Do you need training with your other side, though? How to keep it under control?"

Ryeth would be eternally grateful to him for changing the subject.

Her eyes, her entire demeanor really, perked up at the mention of her werewolf AND the Moon as she remembered that night. The Fae laughed softly, a fondness in her voice for Syl that she knew Ciro didn't understand. It really didn't matter, though. He had his followers and she and the Moon had theirs. Well, actually, Ryeth was a follower of both the Sun and Moon....ugh, it was confusing, all the connections overlapping!

"I made him my General. Aiden doesn't know it, but there are about, oh....six packs of wolves on his land right now. That's an estimated....thirty-six to forty-two wolves... All of them are loyal to me and to the Moon, and ever single one of them knows that Sylvester is Alpha over every pack." Ryeth's grin was that of a mischievous child and the plants in the room suddenly started to bloom as she giggled again. "He's quite pleased about it."

The Fae, her mood now shifted, twirled a long strand of red hair on her finger, her body swaying slightly as if to music only she could hear. "I don't need training per say. The Earth obeys me. I grew up with the Sidhe, I knew how to manipulate and speak with the earth before I could even walk. I knew how to control the earth even before I knew it WAS the Earth. It's just...in the last few days, since being rescued, it's started acting up. Alcmene told me I have a twin, a brother. He's the Ocean and I need to find him, to be balanced like you and Luna are when together. She also says its not possible right now, though."

She looked at Ciro again, tilting her head a bit as if curious about something. "I feel calmer with you, though. Your presence, it helps."

Ciro looked around at the plants, then at him. "Well, Aiden will certainly be thrilled about that...are they just wolves or are they werewolves?" Her presence was spiraling things way out of control very quickly. That many wolves in one area? If any of them were tagged, they could be tracked there, and then scientists would notice an unusual fluctuation, the deer population could plummet, there were a number of things that could start turning eyes to their little piece of countryside.

He looked back to her as she fell quiet. "You need to learn how to hold it in even when it wants to run wild. You can't go into a flower shop and have every bulb turn into a full flower and every flower turn to face you...it isn't safe...It's a lesson Alcmene and I have been learning since we were three. It just woke up in you and you're...well, you aren't three, so...this makes it very dangerous...you need to really keep a cap on it as much as you can..."

"As for the ocean, we don't know when he will flop out onto dry land. Maybe he already has. He could be in captivity like you were. We have no idea. He could be just as in control of his powers or he could have no control. It's...important that we find him as soon as we can for more reasons than just for us to all finally be together." He reached over, putting his hand to her cheek suddenly but gently. "And of course you feel calmer when you're with me, Gaia...you need me..."

She'd been about to answer his question about the werewolves when Ciro started talking again about her power and Ryeth felt herself almost wilting under his words. It felt like a reprimand, even if it wasn't a harsh one, and she realized what he was saying was right. She'd never had to think about it. In Scotland, in her home among the Sidhe who were connected to the Earth themselves, among her People who ENCOURAGED her use of her power, this hadn't been a problem. She'd never had to think about how it would look to other people, how it could affect those around her for ILL.

And her first three years in this land had been in captivity, blocked off from her powers altogether. She'd just gotten them back and now they were growing and she had to learn how to control them, how to behave in this society....It was overwhelming as all hell very suddenly. She wished the Ocean was here. She didn't know him yet, but she sensed they would understand each other in a way the Sun and Moon could not no matter how close she felt to them.

The Fae felt herself start to close down, retreating inwardly and therefore was completely startled when Ciro reached out and palmed her cheek, his touch sending a rush of warmth through her that only partly felt like his power. Her dark brown eyes snapped to his yellow-brown ones even as her body jumped slightly and Ryeth found she didn't want to look away, her voice quiet.

"I'm scared. I don't know what I'm doing."

"I know." Ciro said softly, with a smile on his face. "And that's why you're here, living with Aiden and next door to us. I'll talk to him about having you sent here every other day so you can get a handle on everything...learn what Alcmene and I had to learn. Trust me. I know how hard it is. I step outside and feel the sun and just...I want to fly around and feel it and spread it and bring it to everyone....but I can't..." He waved for her to follow him and he walked outside.

"And you can't get away from the earth. It's all around you. Maybe a little easier in the city, but..." He shrugged, stepping barefoot out into the grass. He looked up at the sun, then at her. He smiled and spread his wings. "Out here in the country, it's quiet and nothing has brought attention to us so far. The sun shines a little brighter, the moon seems a little closer...but it's quiet."

"We can practice out here and get a handle on our powers." He smiled. "Or get them all out before we have to go into town or into the city." He shrugged. "It's a lot of meditation, honestly..."

Ryeth followed him outside, instantly feeling the increase in power that he'd spoken of. When her feet felt the grass and the forest called to her, when the earth seemed to sing into her mind and every rock lent her their strength, it was nearly impossible to resist, to control. Nearly. She knew she COULD. It was only a matter of learning HOW. It was a matter of learning how to make the power go dormant when she needed it to without going crazy herself. The Fae took a deep breath, face tilted up toward the Sun - she wasn't even sure which one her body was leaning toward, the one in the sky or the one on the ground - and her eyes closed for a long moment.

She stilled the trees first and soon their rustling ceased, calming even as she focused on the grass that was now growing up around her knees. It shrank again after a time, but no matter how she tried, Ryeth couldn't silence the earth, she couldn't get rid of the energy seeping into her. She supposed that would come with time.

Her eye opened, gold fading to dark brown again and she smiled a bit at Ciro. "I guess I have more to learn than I thought." She shook her head, wracking a hand back through her red hair, her fingers getting stuck not even half way. She grimaced at the knots and then gave up, letting her hand drop again. "So Aiden will teach me how to control my flames. You and Alcmene will teach me to control the earth. Sylvester's teaching me how to...well, to not fear anything, to be wild." Ryethke gave the Sun a wry look.

"Who's going to teach me how to kick someone's *** WITHOUT my powers?"

"Well, Emily could teach you that, I suppose." He said, sitting down in the grass. He crossed his legs in front of himself and smiled at her. "I'm going to teach you a trick right now though." He motioned for her to sit in front of him and get comfortable. He started teaching her how to clear her mind, how to quiet everything, how to be...well...normal...

It was a long, and honestly boring lesson that he dragged on until the sun started setting. He broke his concentration and looked off at the sunset with a soft sigh. He turned to her. "You know, you're lucky...except for maybe being in the city, you're never away from yourself...there will always be some sort of connection there..."

Ryeth was exhausted by the time they were done, but she felt better for it. She felt worn out and like she could sleep for a week, but she thought that was a good thing right now. Her energy was gone and that meant her power was calm. It meant another day or two of steadiness and she was grateful to Ciro for that.

She watched him as he spoke and a soft smile came to her face, a gentle expression to her eyes as she leaned forward - she was sitting cross legged in front of him, their knees almost close enough to touch - and reached out, putting her hand over one of his, drawing his attention as well as offering comfort as only the Earth could.

"For whatever it is worth, almighty sun, I always feel you, just as I always feel the Moon. One of you face me no matter which way I turn. You are never alone." She wasn't sure if that would be a true comfort to him, to know that she was an intermediate between his sister and himself, between the night and the day, but it was all she could offer as the Fae stood, stretching and blinking owlishly in the growing dimness.

It was time to go home...

"It does comfort me." He said with a soft smile. "You should keep her from causing eclipses then." He smirked. "You know she only does that to piss me off, right?" He stood up and held out a hand to her to help her up.

Inside, Alcmene and Sylvester had come down from her bedroom. She checked on the food to make sure he hadn't burned anything, then walked out to sit on the back porch and watch the two meditate. She decided to do a little bit of that on her own, but stopped when she heard them talking. "It's true." She called, a smirk playing on her lips.

Sylvester stretched and yawned. "Ready to go home, Ryethke?" He asked, standing beside the moon in her rocking chair. He smiled happily. "I'm still tired. You keep making me wake up at odd hours!"

Ryethke chuckled at the brother and sister, feeling at peace seeing both of them together. It was much different then when they'd first met and she was glad of that as she walked toward the porch, glancing back at Ciro with a teasing smirk. "Like I could control the Moon OR the Sun. I'm just the humble little Earth, remember? I'm just the reason you guys choose to stick around despite pissing each other off."

She laughed softly again then and crouched down to rub Sylvester's ears, putting her forehead to his affectionately. She spoke to him in the Wolf Tongue, not knowing if the Sun and Moon understood that language. {So very sorry, your muttiness, but it's not my fault I have nightmares from hell.} She straightened and ruffled his ears before going to the rocking chair and on impulse, giving Alcmene a hug.

"It is good to see you, Sister."

{True. I might start sleeping in the woods.} He teased, giving another stretch and a yawn.

"Well, she revolves around you and you revolve around me..." Ciro smirked and walked up to the porch.

Alcmene leaned forward and hugged her back. "It's good to see you too. Go get some sleep." She said, standing up and looking to her brother. "All three of you."

"Alright, alright. Hey, I started some stew. Would you keep an eye on it?"

"Of course." She ushered her brother inside and turned to smile at Ryethke. "You two should go home."

{Lets cut through the woods.} He suggested, pushing his head against her hand.

Ryethke bid the twins a goodbye, waving as she and Sylvester started back toward home. They weren't even half way there when the Fae requested a ride and from that point they traveled faster. She was nearly asleep on her werewolf's back by the time Aiden's house came into view and the two of them headed straight up to bed where they pretty much collapsed together, both drifting off to sleep.

-------------------------------------------

Two and a half weeks passed quickly for the Fae. She found her days filled with so much activity that she couldn't do much else but collapse in bed by the time night came around. Her mornings were filled with hunting lessons with Sylvester - and it was easier to hunt now that she'd sent the werewolves further away about a week ago on the advice of Ciro - and her early afternoons were occupied by Aiden and his lessons. Her fire-gift was getting easier and easier to control. She could now keep the fire in her hands without it crawling along her arms and the flames were only as hot as she wanted to make them. Out of the two of her powers, her fire was the one she was the least concerned about. It was coming under her control without fuss, almost like it was trying to make up for how difficult her other power was to contain.

Her earth power was the thing she had to work the hardest at and after she had combat training with Emily - right after Aiden's lessons - she went to the Twin's house every other day for lessons on controlling her greatest gift. It was coming along nicely, if slowly, and at this point she could keep it 'quiet' for about an hour with minimal mistakes thanks to the techniques Ciro and Alcmene were teaching her. Being near the Sun and the Moon was keeping the longing for the Ocean tolerable and the Fae kept searching for him quietly, keeping her ears and power open for the message she had faith would come.

It was the nights that she dreaded these days. During the daylight hours, she was so busy she didn't have time to think about all the stress. In the light she was always with someone, always doing something that required she focus, that required she stay in control, but at night....at night the pain and the grief and the stress she refused to deal with during the day reared their ugly heads and she woke often screaming. It was taking its toll, but Ryeth was sure she was hiding it well - there hadn't been any earthquakes yet! - and when she woke up this morning, she knew that she wouldn't have time to dwell on it.

A message had come from the Network. The SteelScreech group was coming to Aiden's house for the purpose of bunking down for the night on their way to another safe house further away. What it meant to Ryeth was that she was going to see Sionn and the prospect excited her. There was also the added benefit that the Twins and Emily would be coming over as well. Whenever groups met, everyone in each group did so that if any information needed to be exchanged every member of the group knew about it and they could discuss it. To the Fae, it was a new experience to have so many people around, most of them who she now trusted and she found herself excited as she dressed in a pair of jeans - no shoes - a light blue shirt, brushed her hair, throwing it up in a ponytail and then came down the stairs that morning, finding Aiden and Sylvester in the kitchen.

"Hi!" She greeted them happily, flopping down in a chair and grabbing one of the waffles that had become a staple in the morning between herself and the werewolf. "When do you think they'll get here, Aiden?"

Aiden, who was currently only dressed in a pair of jeans, looked over and smiled. He was busy making food. A lot of food. "Oh, maybe just after noon at some time."

Sylvester was standing in a pair of light linen pants, a box of eggos in his hand, popping two into the toaster at a time and putting them out on plates. He was so focused on his task, he hadn't really noticed that there were easily enough for everyone already.

Emily stepped up out of the cellar, arms full of dark blue glass bottles with no labels. She looked over, grinning. "Good morning, sleepy head!" She told the Fae brightly as she set the bottles down on the center island. She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand and hurried back down into the cellar.

Aiden blushed a little and turned back to cooking. "Have you ever had mead, Rye? Wine made from honey? I mean, it comes from up where you do, so I'd imagine...as long as you drank, you had it....but! I could be wrong. It's delicious either way. We make it here in the basement. I distill some of it into a sort of...whiskey, I guess...honey moonshine? But we aren't breaking that out today...just the regular stuff. We broke it out last time they came over and...well...had to have their terrakenetic put my house back together...." He looked over at Sylvester finally and sighed. "That is entirely enough waffles..."

He looked up. "Oh...ok..." He put the empty box in the trash and picked up the plate, moving over to the table. He took an eggo and started eating it plain, and with his hands.