Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
Looking for partners
Posting Speed
1-3 posts per day, Multiple posts per week, One post per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
Primarily Prefer Male, No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
The dark-skinned Zamaiya lifted her head from the ropes she was coiling at the sound of footsteps approaching her. Almost instantly, her black eyes locked onto Khelida's approaching figure. There was no unfamiliarity in her eyes as she looked at the oracle, rumors of her presence had long since spread all over the ship, but her fingers still clutched somewhat nervously around the rope for a moment, before she straightened her shoulders to listen to Khelida's request.

As soon as Khelida turned away Zamaiya began to move, heading unerringly towards the ship's wheel. However, she came to an instant halt at the sound of Khelida's voice, turning around with a trace of reluctance. "She'd... ah... be down'n the worship room still. Prayers 'nt done yet."

True to Zamaiya's indication, Storm Priest Ashana was still down in the prayer room, kneeling before the statue of the storm god. Varen's arrival had momentarily interrupted the ritual she had been conducting, but as soon as the man had left the room with Khelida in tow she'd resumed the ritual as though there hadn't been any interruption.

The rest of the crew followed along easily enough. Everyone knew that Ashana and the Captain didn't really get along all that well, and they mostly got by just ignoring each other's presence.

The basic ritual finished several minutes after the captain had left, and most of the crew scattered. Few of their loyalties to the gods went further than what was required to prepare their daily magic. However, both Ashana and Henrika remained in front of the god's statue as the rest of the gathered people left, preparing to continue with the full ceremony that would last for almost another hour.

catalyst

yours truly
Invitation Status
, ,
Posting Speed
Multiple posts per day, 1-3 posts per day, 1-3 posts per week, One post per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
weekends
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female,
Genres
Romance, fantasy (high, modern, medieval, whatevs), modern, darker themes, slice-of-life, fandom, adventure, etc. I'm pretty much open to anything so just throw any plot ideas you may have my way.
Khelida thanked the sailing apprentice before taking leave. Back down in the ritual room, all had left - including Myran - except Henrika and her mentor, the Storm priest. Both were still praying, a testament showing how truly devoted they were. Knowing fully well how long the ceremony could last and not having completed her own morning prayer, the Oracle quietly sat a comfortable space away and closed her eyes.

As her posture relaxed and she began letting go of all other thoughts, the strangest thing happened. A loud caw, the call of a hawk, sounded from above. It was as clear a sound as any, and yet she appeared to be the only one who heard it. Or perhaps did not tune it out? Birds and environmental noises hardly, if ever, interrupted praying... but this did not feel like a typical noise. It almost felt like a redirection.

The bulk of the next hour proved fruitless. Khelida didn't know what it was, but she could not make a connection to the Goddess of Life. Was it this room, the people, the ship itself? Though it hardly made sense, as she had always been able to connect no matter who or what surrounded her. Something was blocking her.

With one last deep breath, the Oracle slowly opened her eyes and waited patiently for the other women to finish.

Henrika was the first. It was when she turned that she saw Khelida and gasped. "Oh! It's you! Well, of course it would be you - nobody else ever joins us for that long, unless they had a late morning."

Khelida smiled politely, but spoke quietly so as not to completely ignore the rest of the priest's ceremony. "The captain requested my presence before I could pray. It seems that worked a little in my favor, with not so many people around."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
Looking for partners
Posting Speed
1-3 posts per day, Multiple posts per week, One post per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced
Primarily Prefer Male, No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Unexpectedly, Ashana and Henrika's prayers were interrupted before they were done.

From above, muffled slightly from the layers of wood came a shout. "Riggers on deck!" The Barracuda was preparing to set sail.

Henrika's head immediately snapped up, causing Ashana to frown. Henrika smiled sheepishly, before spotting Khelida and greeting her warmly. "Prayer room is usually pretty quiet," Henrika agreed. "I can't say the lot of this crew is a particularly faithful bunch, and some even less so than that."

That earned another frown from Ashana, who was met only moments later by Henrika's pleading gaze. The dark-skinned woman sighed heavily. "Fine. Go. But you'll be making up ever minute of it double tomorrow!"

"Thank you!" Henrika replied, lunging forward to briefly hug her mentor, who looked equal parts uncomfortable and resigned. A moment later and she was on her feet, racing out of the room to scamper up to the main deck.

Ashana let out another world-weary sigh, her eyes lingering wistfully on Storm's statue. However, a moment later and her eyes turned away, glancing over at Khelida. "There's no statue of life on this boat, never has been," she said, sounding vaguely disapproving of the matter. However, her eyes, when placed upon the Oracle, were kind and soft. "So I doubt you needed to complete your prayers down here. Did you wish to talk to me, dear?"

catalyst

yours truly
Invitation Status
, ,
Posting Speed
Multiple posts per day, 1-3 posts per day, 1-3 posts per week, One post per week, Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
weekends
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female,
Genres
Romance, fantasy (high, modern, medieval, whatevs), modern, darker themes, slice-of-life, fandom, adventure, etc. I'm pretty much open to anything so just throw any plot ideas you may have my way.
Khelida smiled a goodbye to the ever-eager Storm apprentice and waited patiently for Ashana. Hearing only so little about her, she was curious if a connection could be made past true faith.

If there were friendships to be made along this journey, it never hurt to start with the easiest and least tense.

"Many would say you never really need statues to pray," she quipped, though there was truth in it. "I did wish to speak with you. Your name is Ashana? If you're comfortable sharing, I would like to hear about your experience on this ship and its captain." The oracle paused as she looked briefly to the devil statues, then back to the priest. "It doesn't have to be here." Though she held no belief in these devils' existence, she wasn't sure how keen the ship's ears were. Varen himself had taken them to his private quarters to ensure no eavesdropping. It was no secret trait that he was a private man, considering his own crew didn't know the purpose of their current journey.

Which was partly why she sought out Ashana. Depending on how long she'd been part of the crew, perhaps she uncovered something that could help explain the eerie mystery that was the Barracuda.