CBox Tech & Social Opinions Survey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? So we're just gonna open up the cbox like it used to be where everything goes on in one place and we have 4-5 RP-chat-channels who were never used? Why can't we try to use the other channels for something else? Are people really THAT lazy that they won't bother to click once to change channels?

Didn't the fact of having only one channel used cause a lot of members having the main page lagging? The cbox lagging?

Do we really need to have the cbox on the main site? If you like the cbox as much as I do, you'll cope with having to click on some link that takes you to it. It won't be hard to show the newbies where it's at, someone will just add a link directing to it in the newbs welcoming-thread anyway. Members are more interested in showing how we are 'insanely livin' it up' in the cbox rather than promoting RPs, right?

I'd like to see own channels for DnD-talk, Counselling-talk and some channel for silly *I 1UP U, FAGGIT*-talk, but thats just me.

Reactions: 1 person
Are people really THAT lazy that they won't bother to click once to change channels?

To answer this question, yes. XD

No, but seriously if the CBox gets moved I don't see that as an issue at all and I really like the idea of the different channels, I just hope they actually would get used and not ignored like some of the threads on here.

To answer this question, yes. XD

No, but seriously if the CBox gets moved I don't see that as an issue at all and I really like the idea of the different channels, I just hope they actually would get used and not ignored like some of the threads on here.

*sighs*

Yeah, the ignoring of other channels is my biggest fear too =/

Channels should be divided according to behaviour, not topic.

If we made a D&D channel, then somewhere down the line we'd have to create a channel for every other trend that pops up. Trying to moderate topics will be a nightmare.

So, there are three types of behaviour:-

NORMAL CHAT - just hanging out.

EMO CHAT - whining about your life.

PLAY CHAT - semi-roleplay asterisk violence and one-up bullshit

I vote for 3 channels. Have the Main Channel. Then use the Play Chat for RPs and random shit, or the Emo Channel for when you need to dial it down and have a more serious heart-to-heart.

Like a playground. You either talk, play or angst.

Reactions: 2 people
I think those different "mood" channels would still end up getting ignored. o__o The Cbox convos switch and jump from topic to topic SO FAST, unless you're showing up right away knowing what you're going for to head to the right channel (and someone is already in there or will go in there with you), it just "happens". Then you get yelled at to switch channels, and by the time you do it... the moment is gone.

Plus, aren't we supposed to be promoting more areas of roleplaying and not new areas of chitchatting? One main cbox area for chatting should be enough, plus all of our Off Topic forums. I think everyone was already on the right page by saying we just need to more strictly enforce our Cbox rules. We shouldn't have to separate people so much.

HOWEVER, I am willing to give it a shot. c___c If it works, awesome, if it doesn't we can try something else.

AS LONG as we still keep the extra roleplay genre channels. Cause I want to promote more ChatRPing, and I want to make sure there are enough rooms for people to play in. >>

I vote for 3 channels. Have the Main Channel. Then use the Play Chat for RPs and random shit, or the Emo Channel for when you need to dial it down and have a more serious heart-to-heart.

YES.
Asmo has just channeled my ideas. haha

Shouldn't there be an RP one though? Cuz I dun thing the Play chat or the main channel would work for that.

I think those different "mood" channels would still end up getting ignored.
I agree 100%! Not only that, but I also think the idea is silly. Do we really need to divide it up so much? I think there should be different channels, but not those types. Most people will just end up staying in the Normal Chat whether or not they are talking about things that everyone else 'agrees' on. I'm trying to think of how to word this... HMMMM! Basically what I'm trying to say is GET OVER IT.... >.>;'' As nice as possible of course. You can't please everyone. You can't just go in the "Normal Chat" and say "We're talking about frogs today and anyone who wants to get off topic should go elsewhere!" It seems silly, very very silly. Do you see what I'm trying to get at here?

We're all friends here, we're all part of the same community, can't we just listen to each others problems or sexual desires without blowing a hissy fit about it? SRSLY!

The Cbox convos switch and jump from topic to topic SO FAST, unless you're showing up right away knowing what you're going for to head to the right channel (and someone is already in there or will go in there with you), it just "happens". Then you get yelled at to switch channels, and by the time you do it... the moment is gone.
ALSO! A very valid point.

Plus, aren't we supposed to be promoting more areas of roleplaying and not new areas of chitchatting?
ANOTHER good point made by Diana. So, I say... One channel in the Cbox for 'chatting' (you can't control what people talk about), and other channels for different types of roleplaying.

Okay then, I'll step down on the multiple channels idea.

But I will stress this one point.

It is not OTHER people who cause problems in the Cbox. I think every single one of us is to blame for the bad elements that are brought out. I for one violate pretty much every principle of the Cbox through the self-righteous belief that people will "know why I'm doing it".

The Cbox can bring out the worst in us. Every time we use the Cbox to display a personality quirk we run the risk of inspiring others to display quirks. And eventually those quirks cause friction with each other.

Want examples?

Woodrat being called Woodrat. It makes you want to do stuff to him because he's a small cute animal.

Diana using smilies. It makes you want to joke with her.

People using red text. It creates a psychological mood.

Moderators having different coloured names. It creates an "Us" vs "Them" mechanic.

People spelling things perfectly and writing out full sentences. It makes you think they're elitist and won't value your opinion unless you type it out properly too.

Darkness enters the Cbox. You have to stand up to him.

Coffee enters ths Cbox. You have to come up to his level.

Sakura enters the Cbox. You have to stop swearing and being mean.

Someone does something to you with an asterisk. You have to do something back otherwise "it doesn't count".

A new member shows up. You have to say something random to him because a normal hello will just make you a faceless stranger.

In short, it's chaos theory.

In threads and roleplays you have a title and a point and the bedrock of cliche and convention.

In the Cbox you have none of these things. We become polarised, capable of amazing acts and damaging acts.

So the Cbox should never be seen as just a blessing or just a curse. Because it will always be both.

Reactions: 6 people
Oddly enough I don't think anyone has actually called me "Woodrat" in the c-box... it's always shortened to "Rat" "Rattie" "Wood" "Woodie" "Woody" and on and on and on...

Valid point no less, and I agree. On the flipside, the C-box can bring out the good things in us as well. One has to counteract the bad with the good... or simply take the bad with the good. Thus this topic... the Pro's and Cons of the C-box.

So... the question is... now what?

NOW, we are currently taking all of our member suggestions and concerns, mashing them together and discussing the best way to bring back the cbox so it'll be a healthy hangout. :D

I would, really, really encourage everyone to post in the "Adult Content" thread also. Because that has been one of the biggest concerns for people along with the "Lag/Loading" issue. c___c

This thread is still open to member commenting, however! There's a lot of POVs!

This is confusing.....JEEZUS.

First off, we NEVER USED TO ACCEPT people whining in the cbox, so if they aren't able to CLICK ONE FUCKING TIME to change the channel when/if we give them a place to do so, we'll just redraw it and go back to having a non-tolerance to such chats in the cbox.

Divide it up so much? We're talking about 3 channels for chatting and one for RPing, it's less than it was before. NO, WE DO NOT NEED ONE CHANNEL FOR EACH GENRE TO CHAT-RP. There was BARELY any chat-RPing before we closed it, WHY WOULD THAT CHANGE NOW? And how many times did YOU partake in one?

Never have the idea of slicing up channels by mood made any demand that you're only allowed to keep one topic going in the general/insanity-channel. We've never allowed anyone to say "HEY! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FROGS HERE! IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA CONTRIBUTE TO THAT, GET OUT!"

One thing to add to what Asmo said:

People will jump on a newbie(like Maverick) like lions on a prey if they come ranting in the cbox and people will contact the staff about it and report it.

If a member who is well known on the other hand comes in the cbox and starts whining about their trials and issues from the real life. I have myself experienced that people will go with their "aw, everything will be alright, hun/ you know we love you *****/blablablablasympathyblablaemphaty".

The reaction is totally different, and then it's totally acceptable to rant.

Newbies = just an emo

Known member = a real person I have connections with

If I go warning a newb, I'll be congratulated with resolving drama and bs. If I do the same to the known member, I'll be told to fuck off and that I'm some robotic inhuman mod-asshole who is way too strict.

Never have the idea of slicing up channels by mood made any demand that you're only allowed to keep one topic going in the general/insanity-channel. We've never allowed anyone to say "HEY! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FROGS HERE! IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA CONTRIBUTE TO THAT, GET OUT!"

LOL! Torsty that was just an example of how crazy 3 different channels for chatting sounds (TO ME). It makes things complicated and separates everyone.

So what, I'm having a bad day and off to the 'Emo Chat' I go? I can't stay in the 'Normal Chat' with the rest of my friends to talk things out; I'd hate for people to feel shut out like that.

Also, if we make a channel for all the sexual topics people bring up, I have a feeling people are just going to use it randomly in passing to type "BOOBIES" across the CBox channel. You know how immature we can be at times. Funny, but sometimes immature.

We will not make an own channel for sexual topics, that will be allowed in the general chat, period.

No, no one should feel like they are being shut out because they have to leave the normal chat to be emo. What they should except is that we will take their rant more seriously and try to be helpful. If your friends won't make one click to check out your rant, then I guess that tells more about how much they really care about your problems.

Why do I all of a sudden find myself defending the idea that we do not allow serious real-life-rants in the general chat? With the possible counselling-channel, THIS WILL ACTUALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME BE ALLOWED in the cbox. It's not a restriction to how it used to be, it's an addition to what the cbox used to be.

I just have to say...
It seems really, really surreal that there's so many points, and such a discussion, about a little box that people type things in, and they disappear before too long due to other peoples' words. They're all good points and all, but I mean...
I was actually really, really surprised when the initial reactions to the Cbox being down for repair, which I took to be ironic/sarcastic because how can anyone possibly be so serious about something so insignificant-seeming, got extremely serious responses of, in essence, 'GET OVER IT GUYS, IT'S NOT WHAT IWAKU IS ABOUT'. I thought that was kind of a given, and didn't need to be stated, and I'm still not sure what was joking in the first place given this reaction.

I guess what I mean is, sure it probably has some impact, but I really don't think Iwaku rises or falls on its little chat thingyu down at the bottom...eh? So..extended argument over how it's organized seems a bit much maybe? To me it's kinda like if a few people agreed to co-GM an RP and got caught up arguing the finer points of the character sheet organization.

Reactions: 3 people
I think it adds to Iwaku as a community and losing it is like...losing an arm. Yeah, you can live without it but, goddamn, you wish it was still there.

And I agree that it's a little silly that we're discussing all this so much. By trying to eliminate drama, we appear to be creating more.

In any case, I think the Admins and Mods will come to a decision, and it will be for the best of the community.

I think it adds to Iwaku as a community and losing it is like...losing an arm. Yeah, you can live without it but, goddamn, you wish it was still there.

And I agree that it's a little silly that we're discussing all this so much. By trying to eliminate drama, we appear to be creating more.

In any case, I think the Admins and Mods will come to a decision, and it will be for the best of the community.

Agree. Agree. AND AGREE!

But at the same time Diana wanted my feedback and I couldn't hold back! ^-^;''

I'd really like to add more to what I've previously said...but all I have to say is very simple.

Give us the C-box back, with whatever modifications you deem necessary, and I'll be happy. I don't care if it's less than ideal, it's just not worth all THIS drama, to get rid of all THAT drama...

on a less serious note: if we ever get a sexy channel, I finally have a reason to want to become mod of something...

With different viewpoints there is bound to be conflict. People like holding onto their ideas and can tend to be a bit hostile toward other viewpoints.

Now I kinda think we're blowing the drama of this topic out of proportion. Diana asked for our opinion on how to best bring back the C-box. It's kinda rare for the staff of a site to allow or even consider the input of their members on what the best approach to something is. Lots of sites go... "well we're gunna have a change... and if you don't like it? Too bad..."

To be honest, I'd be mildly disappointed if our perspectives didn't clash.

I am mildy disappointed that we don't seem to be having much input on what the future of the C-box should be. The C-box is a part of this community, even for those that don't use it that often. Diana asked for us to mash our suggestions and concerns together.

Sure the final decision is up to 'em Staff'ers. But hey, if they want ta' take note of our suggestions and concerns... why not input them. Only a handful of people have said stuff, why don't we get somemore perspectives and mash 'em up and see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people
...Gee, did you all ever think about trying things out once before getting your breeches in a bundle? So my proposal, let's try it out Asmo or Tort's way for a while.

Trying something new isn't gonna be that dangerous, seeing as this is a forum and not something like a federal government, after all. ;)

If we don't like it, we can go back to way it was.

Ahhhhha, such is the beauty of experimenting and compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.