Canadian Federal Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Essentially they're the Right Winged Party of Canada.
In other words the Republicans of Canada, but far more moderate.

They were also Canada's Federal Government for the past 10 years.
What are some of the positions they take that differ from Canada's left wing?

Uhm... @Brovo Curious, why's Green Party has barely any voters?
The green party's lack of success is due largely as a result of its recent claim to fame, as well as its specialized platform. Both the Conservatives and the Liberals have existed in some form for a very long time, and though I'm not particularly familiar with the NDP, it has also been around for a while. It wasn't until 2004 that the Green Party started running in all of the Canadian ridings. They are also excluded from a number of press releases and debates.

Because we have a first-past-the-post system, most voters only vote for parties they believe have a chance of winning. That's usually been Cons or Libs, and recently NDP. Greens only got their first and only seat in the last election. Nobody expects them to win, so nobody wastes their vote on them—especially when most lefties want to kill the Conservative government, but are scared of splitting the vote.

Finally, they have a relatively far left stance, promoting zero tuition, lots of environmental reform, and the like. In fact, their reputation has mostly been that they are a single-issue party, focusing on climate change with the side-issue of weed. They now have a full platform, but are still not yet taken seriously.

Most of their votes come from Vancouver Island, the west-most part of the country, where their current leader is running.

• Thank You
Reactions: Izurich
Well, they focus a lot on promoting the energy sector, and selling Canada's resources to other countries. Business first, social matters second.

They restrict immigration to a higher degree than the other parties, and under the Harper regime, have promoted Islamophobia and fear of terrorism. They're restructured the election system so to restrict Elections Canada's communication with the public. They've taken away many of the protections placed on Canada's environment. Security over freedom.

Their ultimate goal is to help businesses prosper, to reduce taxes, and to reduce debt. They've essentially succeeded on the first part, but debt has gone way up at the expense of tons of cuts pretty much everywhere, from science to veteran pensions.

Reactions: TheGreyWarden
Uhm... @Brovo Curious, why's Green Party has barely any voters?
On top of what Holmishire said they also don't have much of a desire to win yet.
They mainly just want to have a seat so they can get a say/voice.
That will vary every election on the promises the leader at the time makes.
Generally though Conservatives = Less Government Involvement, Liberal/NDP = More Government Involvement.

Though the last Conservative party had a few things such as cutting education, increasing funding on jet planes & spreading Islamophobia.

Edit: Oh yea, Harper (the guy running the conservative party the last 10 years) also loves trade with the US. To the point that it can come at a cost to Canada.

• Thank You
Reactions: Izurich
Though the last Conservative party had a few things such as cutting education, increasing funding on jet planes
Increased funding on planes? Are they private companies or are they just government funded companies?

Islamophobia.
Wish we could debate this. : / Oh well I guess.

Edit: Oh yea, Harper (the guy running the conservative party the last 10 years) also loves trade with the US. To the point that it can come at a cost to Canada.
Isn't he the guy that was like drunk and smoking weed all the time? Or is that someone else?

Increased funding on planes? Are they private companies or are they just government funded companies?
Sorry, should have been more clear (and be getting to bed soon).

I meant fighter jets.
They're military planes.
Isn't he the guy that was like drunk and smoking weed all the time? Or is that someone else?
No. :P
That was Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto.

And I believe it was cocaine he was busted for.

Sorry, should have been more clear (and be getting to bed soon).

I meant fighter jets.
They're military planes.
Seems kind of like a waste. America isn't going to let anyone mess with its hat. XD
Lol, go to bed.

No. :P
That was Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto.

And I believe it was cocaine he was busted for.
Oh yeah, that guy...

People are dumb these days. xD

I'd like to note that I am heavily biased against the Conservatives, mostly because of what Harper has been doing—and maybe also the political bias of my region, upbringing, and education. It'd be nice if we could get someone who likes them to explain their platform in a positive light for the sake of fairness.

That said, now that Harper's stepped down from head of the party, I really hope they get a better leader. Though I'm unlikely to vote for them myself, they aren't all bad.

I'd like to note that I am heavily biased against the Conservatives, mostly because of what Harper has been doing—and maybe also the political bias of my region, upbringing, and education. It'd be nice if we could get someone who likes them to explain their platform in a positive light for the sake of fairness.

That said, now that Harper's stepped down from head of the party, I really hope they get a better leader. Though I'm unlikely to vote for them myself, they aren't all bad.
I mean, I am somewhere between Conservative and Libertarian. And I don't know what exactly Conservative means for Canada, because its still even left of the middle from my stand point. My knowledge of politics are between America and Japan, as that is where I've grown up and studied most. So I can only speak from those stand points.

Didn't realise Canada used First Past The Post for its electoral system as well. Maybe that's something the new government can look to reform; it's not as horribly unrepresentative as the American system, but it's fucking up there. The UK's been trying to get it changed for years, but for some reason the three parties consistently elected (ie. the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems) are rather fond of the status-quo.

It's still a fairly common voting system throughout the world. I'm only really aware of how the UK's version of it works (Canada's looks similar, mind), though countries like the US also use it in a certain form.

In short, the country is divided into constituencies, each of which elects a single MP. First party to acquire the pre-requisite number of seats needed to take office wins, and errybody else is left out on the street. It's resulted in some hilariously undemocratic shit in the past, like Labour taking around 56% of the seats in the House of Commons, despite only receiving 36% of votes.

What is that? I don't think I've heard of that before..
He says it better than I.

Didn't realise Canada used First Past The Post for its electoral system as well. Maybe that's something the new government can look to reform; it's not as horribly unrepresentative as the American system, but it's fucking up there. The UK's been trying to get it changed for years, but for some reason the three parties consistently elected (ie. the Tories, Labour and the Lib Dems) are rather fond of the status-quo.
It's definitely being looked at for reform, and was one of the significant issues raised in this election. NDP, Greens, and Liberals have all stated that they will change the election type. Seeing as the Liberals won, we should be hearing about a referendum for which system we might prefer some time in the next eighteen months.

That sounds... Pretty fucked up.

You would think in todays society, with all of this technology and stuff, governments could just handle like a Popular Vote or something...

Shit like that just sounds rigid.

Seeing as the Liberals won, we should be hearing about a referendum for which system we might prefer some time in the next eighteen months.

Yeah, we had one of those too. Stand by for scare campaigns in which whatever alternative electoral system offered is demonised to fuck in order to scare people who don't fully understand this sort of thing.

AIN'T DEMOCRACY GREAT.

That sounds... Pretty fucked up.

You would think in todays society, with all of this technology and stuff, governments could just handle like a Popular Vote or something...

Shit like that just sounds rigid.

Oh it is. And the UK/Canada's incarnation of it isn't even the worst. America's system is basically tailored to ensure that roughly 50% of its voting population is left feeling completely unrepresented by the people in charge of their government.

In short, fuck FPTP. I hope Canada manages to do what we couldn't and reform that shit.

Wasn't that why the Founders (many of them anyway) sort of hate the idea of having a two party system?

Congrats Canada.

No more Abbot in Aussie land.

No more Harper in Canuck land.

Status
Not open for further replies.