Canadian Federal Election 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you know.. Vladimr Putin.. And rig votes.
No, he wins 70% of the votes all the time! We swear! Though really more disturbing is that he approves the list of people who can run for the Duma...Oh, and he appoints the guy who appoints 1/2 members of the Federation Council per district. OH - and if the Duma doesn't vote in the PM, he can just fire everyone.

@Brovo
Is Canada looking to the UK's proposed 'alternative vote' as a replacement to FPTP? Or will they be going the proportional route? I honestly had assumed they were proportional up until now, so this came as a surprise.

@Brovo
Is Canada looking to the UK's proposed 'alternative vote' as a replacement to FPTP? Or will they be going the proportional route? I honestly had assumed they were proportional up until now, so this came as a surprise.
Honestly? Not sure. I'll figure out more later if they're going to bother with replacing FPTP or not.

I voted NDP. I am not unhappy with the results. Basically my only expectation this election was booting Harper, who I still feel would be more at home in Russian politics than Canada. Fuck that guy right up the cooter.

Let's not forget the Liberals voted for Bill C-51. That means Trudeau and friends likes the idea of spying on Canadian citizens in Charter of Rights and Freedoms violating ways.
[2]

I ended up debating between NDP and Liberals.
Where it was the Bill C-51 that made me go for NDP.

[2]

I ended up debating between NDP and Liberals.
Where it was the Bill C-51 that made me go for NDP.
I voted NDP as well, for that among other reasons. I also live in a riding where the CPC were and still are non-viable (Beaches--East York, where Conservatives haven't come close to a seat since the riding was created in 1988), so I didn't have to worry much about splitting the vote.

I ended up watching multiple CGP videos on voting after own election.

I think this method would serve us much better to prevent stuff like splitting the vote.

Saw this and had to come and share it. Good luck, Canada.

You're gonna need it..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 16

You're gonna need it..
Actually I'm glad to see that.

It's an indicator he's not going to be Islamophobic like Harper was.

Reactions: TheGreyWarden
Islamophobia is a tricky beast.

On the one hand; People are racist as fuck about people from other places that maaaaaaaay be a slight shader lighter or darker, Islam being no different(but that doesn't put them above anyone else though, let's be real).

On the other hand; When someone has a very clear critique and a point to make in regards to criticism to Islam(and other religions) you are often regarded as an Islamophobe, a bigot and sometimes an even an idiot/moron(rarely though, since people love pushing a political agenda, rather than being true to themselves).

• Useful
Reactions: Dervish and Brovo
I'm not a Canadian, so it probably doesn't affect me a whole lot. Unless he starts bringing in 'refugees' in droves like good ol' Germany.

As for Islamaphobia. You see how they run their countries. You hear how they try to change laws to Sharia. It's not Christians gunning down artists for making satire.

It's a tricky and slippery slope to be sure. If he handles it well, it could change the worlds viewpoint. If not. Well, least he's legalizing weed I hear.

Edit: Did some reading on your last leader. Holy shit.

He's wearing some clothes and eating some food with them.
He isn't making a bomb or beating a woman up or anything.

I bet you that at least part of the reason he's with them is to make a point. Knowing such a thing is going to get the "Oh shit, we're becoming like ISIS!" paranoia, that he wants to address that respecting someone's religion isn't the same thing.

Hell I'd be one of the first people to argue religion when they try stuff like forcing it into schools, but respecting one's religion =/= forcing it on others.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hellis and Dervish

You're gonna need it..
Why is this a problem?

No seriously, for any non-monocultural country (Canada definitely fits the bill here), why is this an issue? Even looking at it from the IS angle seems disingenuous because we have had precisely three "terror" attacks here since the day I was born, and there's a healthy debate as to whether they were IS-affiliated terrorists or just mentally-ill people with axes to grind. Any other attempts have been stopped by the RCMP / OPP, at least in my lifetime.

Canada has more than enough land available to support a population twenty times OR LARGER than what we have now, even discounting the Territories, so space for immigrants and refugees isn't a problem either.

I might also bring up that my area of Toronto has a high Muslim population, and none of the Muslims who live here seem even remotely radicalised.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Why is this a problem?

No seriously, for any non-monocultural country (Canada definitely fits the bill here), why is this an issue? Even looking at it from the IS angle seems disingenuous because we have had precisely three "terror" attacks here since the day I was born, and there's a healthy debate as to whether they were IS-affiliated terrorists or just mentally-ill people with axes to grind. Any other attempts have been stopped by the RCMP / OPP, at least in my lifetime.

Canada has more than enough land available to support a population twenty times OR LARGER than what we have now, even discounting the Territories, so space for immigrants and refugees isn't a problem either.

I might also bring up that my area of Toronto has a high Muslim population, and none of the Muslims who live here seem even remotely radicalised.
Because I would love to see him bring his Muslim friends to meet his LBGT friends.

Eh. A lot of our land can't be settled on.
So we don't have that much land.

Still enough though to welcome a good amount of immigrants though.
Because I would love to see him bring his Muslim friends to meet his LBGT friends.
More diversity? :P

Eh. A lot of our land can't be settled on.
So we don't have that much land.

Still enough though to welcome a good amount of immigrants though.

More diversity? :P
<Inserts opinion on the state of the planet. Waits for passive-aggressive ratings and quotes. Doesn't really care. Continues to hate the parts of the world that deserve the ire.>

Continues to hate the parts of the world that deserve the ire.
Nowhere deserves it in totality. A person is a person is a person.

However, there are groups within Islam that DO deserve ire, but painting all of them with the same brush is retarded. Also remember that the Muslim world being fucked up politically and socially is due in large part to the actions of the Brits and Americans during the years following the second World War; they split up otherwise strong nations into smaller states and essentially used this to con them out of their own resources, then fanned the flames further by backing all sides in armed conflict.

And how about bringing a fundamentalist Christian or orthodox Jewish friend to meet the same people? Same reaction, most likely, yet you haven't indicated having any issue with these two groups living in the same country as you. Why single out Muslims?

To be clear, I neither condone nor support the homophobia that religious fundamentalists and evangelicals like to spew, but to single out one group for it because their religion just happened to have been coopted by terrorists for their own agendas is idiotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.