Black Girls Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
People don't think before they speak. 'White girls rock' they don't think about that statement. And if they do and say it anyways, it means that they have their head up their ass. There's this thing called white privilege, people don't want to see that it does in fact exist. Truth is, racism is still running rampant in society and we need pride days for people who have the legs kicked out from under them. So yes, uplifting is a way of empowering people who face ignorance daily.
I cringe every time I read the words "white privilege." And yet I cannot deny it either. It's like receiving something you didn't want to begin with only because of the schism created decades and centuries ago. But even worse, it's a negative label forced onto me that I can hardly fight.

I cringe every time I read the words "white privilege." And yet I cannot deny it either. It's like receiving something you didn't want to begin with only because of the schism created decades and centuries ago. But even worse, it's a negative label forced onto me that I can hardly fight.
I'm a blunt, blunt person. I'm white, and I feel it is important to recognize that it does exist. It's a bad label no denying but it is what society has done through out the centuries.

I will agree that there is still some issues that non-white people can face, which makes life slightly easier if one is white.

But it is by no means something that should be used to demonize, demoralize, bully, hurt, insult etc. someone for being white.
Just like those of minorities, white people have no say in the matter of their skin colour, they are people just like everyone else.

I will agree that there is still some issues that non-white people can face, which makes life slightly easier if one is white.

But it is by no means something that should be used to demonize, demoralize, bully, hurt, insult etc. someone for being white.
Just like those of minorities, white people have no say in the matter of their skin colour, they are people just like everyone else.
Well yeah, nobody should be bashed just because of their race. The trouble is getting people to realize that there are vast unfairness inside the society, and part of that sadly does have to do with race.

How is this thread even bout the show anymore?
Just some "high mighty" white guys proving their tolerance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah, nobody should be bashed just because of their race. The trouble is getting people to realize that there are vast unfairness inside the society, and part of that sadly does have to do with race.
There's definitely a number of unfairness in society, I'll completely agree there.

In all honesty though I find that the biggest thing that get's in the way of this is the "Us VS Them" mentality.
I mean ever heard of terms like "White Cis-Male scum"?

Even if say White people and Cis people get it somewhat easier, that divide only get's bigger when people start to paint it as a 'us vs them' scenario.
Not something that humanity as a whole needs to be working together and uniting on. And in many cases it will also only address issues with one side, while completely neglected issues of unfairness with the other side.
Where if we simply sat down and went "Hey, people. We have a problem. Let's get together and fix this" things would be far easier, and beneficial to all groups of people.

We are off topic guys/gals/other.

@Ms. Wrong, it was no intention to look like high and mighty, the thread just got off topic and people got involved in the conversation. It happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
pbbbbbfbffbfbbbbbbtbtttttt

"Privilege is a set of questions you never had to ask yourself."

---------------------------------

Oh, right, on-topic shit: nah Black Girls Rock ain't racist. No qualifiers.

Reactions: LogicfromLogic
PS: Let pissy people get pissy. The only people they end up burning is themselves. Let's not turn this into yet another race war on the Internet, shall we? :ferret:
So much for that. All I did was give my two cents about a TV show... :ferret:

Or the people (Including myself, I didn't help the situation so that's my bad) stop debating/discussing the back and forth arguments.
[2]

We've actually moved the discussion to PM anyways.

Reactions: The Ghost Note
If there's a market for it, let it be. Let demand be the arbiter.
Arbiter-halo-33159289-878-494.jpg

Wort?

• Love
What are your thoughts? Do you think organizations that uplift blacks and other minorities are racist or helpful? I think they're helpful and they will be here to stay.
I don't see the problem with it. If it helps out people, why not? In fact I would support this. If this event helps self-marketing by creating a more positive self-image, which is pretty essential nowadays. This is actually (and ironically) a move towards not needing race-exclusive events for this. When I go to a talk about entrepreneurship, for example, which I do once in a while, it's pretty hard spotting a black woman. Often enough I count exactly zero. If it's anything like that in America, well shit.

So if there is interest for this, it would prove current unrestricted events are lacking something. In that sense the exclusivity is a good thing, because you can get a very clear sample from what the target audience wants different. I mean if there is interest and black women aren't coming to present events, there's a barrier out there. Alternatively the event could work as a confidence booster to help jump over the currently presented hurdles.

Heck, even from a capitalist perspective I'd love to know how to sell the extra tickets for a talk or workshop to people who are interested but aren't buying right now ;p

But seriously. Events like this are great, and a very big part of that is because of the positive approach. Inspire change by leading by example. Black Girls Rock attempts that. So go for it. If we share more skills and knowledge with more people we profit as a society. If this event helps more people participate in this world, win/win.

Reactions: Dervish
Anything that raises the bar for any woman, African American, Causcasian, Hispanic....to become something more than what the media portrays them as is a good thing in my book. It's always nice to see women portrayed as something other than mindless sex objects that should be focused on how they look of how they should really feel about themselves. People should always be more proud of their accomplishments than their appearance.

Reactions: Hana
I cringe and walk a fine line when I comment on a thread such as this. I see it as political correctness run amok.

Then again this is nothing more than a ideological media getting its rocks off a "us versus them" mentality to divide us further. They play this mind game with these contrived practices of portraying a certain part of society one way while uplifting another. The very reason a thread such as this is started then folks, including myself, go off on a tangent or derailing the topic, much to the OP's chagrin no doubt. I apologize for getting on a soap box with this.

Most media is in the business of putting garbage into our minds then we have the audacity to complain about it. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the cyclical disaster we have made for ourselves. This is what happens when people and media are focused more on optics than on merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.