Between Loyalty and Love

Kegan and Terra nodded their heads at the older man. "This is Maidah, the long-missing element of Water," the Fire Spirit said. "The King of the East held him as his slave and was set free only yesterday. He has much to learn, but he's very promising."

Terra looked to the older man. "Have you had any difficulty with your abilities," she asked him.

"Hello young Maidah, it is nice to finally have all of us together. I am Greymir, the element of air." He said with a kind smile.

Maidah nodded, ears tilted forwards in curiosity. "Nice to meet you too."

"Terra, I haven't had any problems recently, why do you ask?"

"Death was unable to see a calf being taken away from his mother," she told him, her ears still lowered sadly.

Greymir frowned, looking very troubled. "How could this be so? Have you spoken with Death yet?" He looked between Kegan and Terra. "Have either of you been having problems with your abilities? Or young Maidah?"

"Yes. We sent Death to go fetch you and Life," Kegan nodded. "I have not experienced any differences yet."

"Nor have I," Terra said. She looked to Maidah and patted his hand. "What about you," she asked him gently.

Maidah shrugged. "I don't use them like you... so I don't know..." He murmured softly, biting his lip.

Greymir frowned and worried for several moments, his forked tongue sliding from his lips for a brief moment. "Perhaps once Life arrives wtih Death, we may speak with them further to get a better understanding." He said and took a seat. "Tell me Maidah, how old are you and from where do you hail?"

"I'm twenty winters..." He murmured. "I come from a tribe in the far East, but I've lived in the neighboring kingdom since I was six winters."

Greymir frowned deeper. "Yet you never knew you were a water spirit? Elemental abilities may be slightly common, but they can only perhaps light a candle or cause a breeze. You are much more powerful than that."

Maidah's ears tilted back, feeling a bit scolded. "I'm sorry. Master didn't let me leave the his chambers most of the times." He mumbled, staring down at his lap.

"Do not apologize young one, it is not your fault." He still frowned though, not liking the fact that Maidah, the Spirit of Water, had been some heartless kings slave until recently.

Kegan patted Maidah's other hand to sooth him gently, his warm pawed-palm covering the tiger's and staying there to offer comfort. "Death and Life should be back soon."

Death walked in with a white fox, Life. "Kegan, Terra, Grymir. It has been too long," the white fox smiled. "It is unfortunate we could not meet under more cheerful circumstances. This must be Maidah. It's nice to meet you dear," she smiled. "You may call me Jerri."

Maidah blushed slightly and purred faintly at Kegan's reassuring touches, perking at the female foxes friendliness. "Nice to meet you too Jerri."

"Now that we're all here, shall we discuss what brought us all together?" Greymir said firmly.

"I was unable to foresee a death," the crow said, sitting down at the meeting table. "This is most disturbing, as I have never missed one before."

"So what does it mean.." Terra asked, frowning worriedly.

"Someone else is disturbing the balance. That's the only thing I can think of," Kegan said. "Only this time, it's..."

"A wizard, perhaps," Jerri suggested. "But he has only affected Death so far."

"Indeed. As we speak I am feeling around the currents to perhaps see if I can feel out such a being. I am catching weak touches of it, but not the main source of it." He murmured as he closed his eyes to focus. "How does this even work? How can some one who'd have to be so powerful hide their magic so easily?" He hissed angrily as the currents caught nothing more than the faintest impression of the magic that was quickly fading away.

Maidah looked a bit worried, shrinking back in his seat and feeling a bit useless to the situation.

Kegan frowned. "We'll speak with the king. We need to take care of this as soon as possible - before it gets out of hand."

Jerri nodded in agreement, as did Terra and Death.

Kegan stood. "I'll go help the farmer that needed me to burn his field. I will meet you all at the castle. Maidah, you're welcome to come with me if you'd like," he said, figuring the tiger would be nervous to meet a new king so soon.

Maidah nodded, wanting to see how Kegan's powers worked in hopes of discovering how he could use his own. He wanted to help as best he could, especially since he knew the others saw him as just some stupid cub they'd have to deal with, even though he was older than that, barely.

Terra nodded and stood. "We'll be with the king," she told Kegan and Maidah.

Kegan lead Maidah out as the rest headed towards the castle. He turned to the tiger. "Would you like to practice your water a little? It would help a lot if you could put out the dying flames to soak the ashes into the ground. It helps fertilize the field for the next harvest season," he explained.

"I... I can try." He murmured, ears drawing back in apprehension. "I'm just not sure what I can do... to make that happen..." He murmured softly. "There's no water anywhere..."

Kegan looked over at him and patted his shoulder. "You don't have to if you don't want to," he told him gently. "I just thought it'd be an easy way to practice and get to know some of the people who honor us. No one's forcing you to do anything anymore," he reminded him.

"I want to! I-I want to be useful..." He bit his lip and sighed, ears twitching in agitation.

Kegan looked at him curiously. "No one thinks you're useless," he told him. "You don't have to prove anything to anyone. If you want to, it's fine. We'd rather you prove to yourself that you can do what you think you need to do. We're here to help. Just don't strain yourself too much. Promise?" he asked with a smile.

"Okay..." Maidah murmured, encouraged by Kegan's words and smiling a little. "I'll do my best."

Kegan smiled at him. "That's all anyone can ask for," he told him gently and turned off the street to a house in front of a farm field. He knocked on the door and waited patiently for the father or son to answer.

The father answered, perking at the sight of Kegan. "Fire Spirit sir! Glad to see you here. Who might the little one be?" He hound asked, drooping ears perked at the shorter Maidah.

"I'm Maidah." He murmured. "I'm not a cub, I'm 20 winters." He grumbled, not enjoying the fact that his height seemed to make him nothing more than a child.