Beauty and the Beast

Vincent pushed himself up from the desk and unfolded his arms. She had asked for a fireplace and he knew there was some in the castle, but he would need to think, "There are fireplaces in all the rooms in the royal wing, but it's closed off. The foregin quarters all have fireplaces, but you have to be nobility of a diplomat," there was only one room in the guest quarters that had a fireplace. It was Vincent's room.

"Come with me," he had an idea. Vincent didn't hurry, but he moved ahead of her and out of the study. He needed to find Sarah. When he cleared the door he almost ran into her. He had forgotten Sarah had lead Beauty to the study.

"So sorry, Sarah," she looked at funny but he didn't catch it, "I need you to make up a room in the guest quarters. Preferably the one next to mine. Beauty will be staying in the one with the fireplace,"

"My lord, but tha-" Sarah began to interject.

"Sarah do as I ask please," she nodded even more confused than she had been about his apology, "Also, fetch all of her things from her old room. That room will be her new one. It's closer to the kitchen, one of the warmest in the castle and has a great view of the tow and the garden." He smiled, but his eyes told Sarah to not say a word about how he had just surrendered his room to Beauty.

Sarah bowed, 'Yes, my lord," she bowed away.

It would take her a little while to make the changes so Vincent turned to Beauty, "Since you look so cold and it will take Sarah some time to prepare your room, would you please have pie with me?" He smiled, "Tis a funny request, but our kitchen staff makes the best warm apple pie."

Malece did not move from her seat too quickly, she remained there for a few moments, even after Vincent moved from the desk and moved to the door. She stood then, lifting the basket and her cup of tea with her as she moved to follow after Vincent. She barely caught the exchange between him and Sarah but she did catch the command to have the small amount of things moved to another room. She was a little confused but she did not say anything, holding the basket to herself as she stood there, watching Sarah bow, a confused look in her eyes, before she walked away to fulfill Vincent's order.

When Vincent turned to look at her she looked up at him, hearing his offer of something called apple pie. She had never heard of that before and she looked a little confused. "That sounds lovely... but what is apple pie? I've never heard of it before," she admitted softly.

Back home fruits were eaten cut up and in a bowel with a bit of lemon squeezed on them. And the bakery had little cakes but she had never had one before. She did look intrigued by the sound of it though. As she admitted to not ever having pie before, the guard looked shocked, dumbfounded even. She didn't even know what look the guard had on his face, as she still looked at Vincent. She didn't know it was such a weird thing to say, but then again, where she was from, she was poor and could not afford to try most pastries, but then again she didn't ever really care for them since she liked to live simply.

She wondered to herself if they might have used the apples she had picked yesterday to make this, Apple pie. It must be something sweet then. "Is it a pastry?" she asked, genuine curiosity in her eyes. She held the tea cup in her hands, enjoying the warmth the cup gave to her chilled fingers.

"You've never had a slice of apple pie?" Vincent was aghast. Apple pie was a common pastry in his kingdom. To think there was someone in his kingdom that had never had some, shocked him, "We will have to remedy this at once!"

Vincent led her to the dining hall. When they arrived, the dining staff was changing the cloth and setting plates for the morning. When they saw their king, the paused as if no one knew what they were to do. Vincent smiled and let out a short chuckle.

"Roll the cloth back on the end of the table. Set a place to done for myself and Beauty. Come Beauty, sit," he offered before disappearing into the kitchen.

"Siegfried," he called for the chef, "two slices of you warmest apple pie!" He ordered. He saw the older man nod and he headed back to join Beauty.

"You're going to love this Beauty, Siegfried makes the best apple pie in the whole kingdom. If you haven't had apple pie, what kind of pastries have you eaten?" He was curious to learn more about her.

Malece looked at Vincent with confused eyes. She didn't understand what was so surprising about not having this apple pie, but then again she was not from this kingdom so she did not know it was common for everyone to have at least tried the pastry. Shrugging slightly she followed after Vincent, not sure what was getting the King all happy, but she was glad he was at least happy and not guilty looking. She couldn't stand to have him look at her with pitying eyes anymore.

Following him down to the dinning hall, she still carried the basket and her, now empty, tea cup. Wondering if she could go make another. But she knew, could hear her mothers voice, as the wise healer had warned her and had told her to never drink more then one cup of this mixture, too much would make her sleepy for the rest of the next day. "A little of a good thing the perfect amount," she heard her mothers soft and gentle voice in her head as she spoke to Malece.

Stepping into the dinning hall she smiled at the servants as she sat down, as Vincent instructed. He did not sit down with her at first, leaving to ask someone named Siegfried for two slices of his warmest apple pie. So the pastry was served warm? She asked herself as she sat quietly.

When Vincent returned, she had moved her chair in a bit more, until she was comfortable. She then slipped her slippers off and pulled her legs up, sitting on them to stay warm. She let out a content sigh as she settled in.

Hearing Vincent's question had Malece thinking. "I've had this thin cake made of honey suckle and wild berries for my thirteenth birthday," she said softly after thinking a moment. "I never really ate pastries where I lived. We always ate fruit and hunted for meat and roots. I used to climb the peach trees a few miles outside of Demathis with my brothers Isaiah and Thomas. I used to climb to the top of the trees to the best fruit and they would always complain that I was small enough to reach them without snapping the branches," Malece recounted smiling happily, the pain and sadness in her eyes diminished somewhat.

Vincent watched as Beauty told him of her memories of climbing the trees with her brothers. She smiled when she recounted how they would tease her for being small enough to climb to the highest of branches. They were found memories of her and for the first one today, she really smiled. Well, for the first time since he had stolen her away really. Her smile warmed his heart and made her all the more beautiful.

"I used to take Dia to the apple orchards. Father would never allow me to encourage her to climb the trees so I would always hoist her onto my shoulders so that she could reach the fruits she wished," he too smiled. Abigail would always stand with the basket while Dia dropped them from her perch. They would laugh when his little sister would intentionally bounce one off his head. He laughed at the memory. It had been far too long since he had good memories.

"Thank you," he started his eyes locked onto hers for the first time in admiration. All pity for the woman gone for the moment. She wasn't just a piece of his collection, not anymore. She was an important piece of his life although the circumstances behind it were less than desirable. So caught in those orbs was he that he had not noticed Siegfried's arrival.

The old chef cleared his throat respectfully and spoke only after the king's gaze had been torn from Beauty, "Your dishes, sire," he spoke as he bowed slightly and slid the covered plates before both Beauty and Vincent. When he pulled the covers from the plates a steady roll of steam rose from the pies, "Sorry, my lord, I had to warm them up for you."

"No worries, Siegfried, we can let them sit for a moment before we take a bite. Thank you, now, give a slice to all your hardworking staff, if there is enough," he ordered.

"Y-yes, my king," Siegfried bowed as a smile spread across his face. Then he turned and hurried to the kitchen.

Vincent turned his attention back to Beauty, "Now don't wait too long, its better warm." He smiled as he waved off some of the steam before picking up his fork and cutting of piece and sliding it into his mouth. Immediately he regretted it. He dropped the fork and fanned his mouth with his hands. Finally managing to swallow down the burning bit he spoke, "Okay, give it a few minutes." He smiled before chuckling a little.

She smiled as they both shared good memories that they held dear to their hearts. She remembered the times she would go with them on the long hunting trips, if Thomas was sick or if their father was sick. She would climb the tree's and look below and make bird calls as signals to tell them if there was a herd of deer or elk near by. She had gotten good at it but... with her mothers death, she took over as healer at home and would work to provide what little she could for her family.

Thank you, she heard him say to her and it broke her saddening thoughts. She looked back at him as he watched her with admiration? He had never looked at Malece like this before and it made the dark haired female's cheeks flush slightly.

Hearing the chef clear his throat, to finally break Vincent's gaze at her, she was glad. Looking at the covered plates as they were set in front of the both of them, she watched as the slice of pie was revealed to her. She could smell the sweet yet spiciness to the pastry. She was not expecting such a smell from it and she looked at Siegfried and nodded her head, thanking him softly before he could leave.

"It looks delicious," she said softly, looking at the pie before she looked up seeing Vincent cut into his slice. She giggled seeing him dropping his fork and and fanning his mouth. The pie must be hotter then Vincent had thought. She smiled, the corner of her eyes crinkling just the slightest as she brought a hand up and covering her mouth as she laughed softly at the funny sight in front of her. "Well, to give you credit, the pie must be that delicious to burn your tongue," she said, her tone cheery and light, happy almost as she sat with him.

She picked up her fork and cut a smaller piece into her slice, bringing the gooey piece up to her lips, blowing the piece a bit before she opened her mouth and let the now warm chunk rest on her tongue. She chewed and her eyes widened slightly as the spicy yet very sweet and gooey and warm pastry hit her taste buds.

"Wow... that's delicious," she said, taking another small piece and repeating.

Vincent smiled at her declaration, "As I said, Siegfried makes the best pie on the kingdom. That's why he works in the castle," Vincent took another, cooler bite of his pie and chewed it slowly. The first one he had to rush through to minimize the damage done by the heat.

"It's been far too long since I've enjoyed a piece of pie," Vincent admitted, "It's nice to enjoy it won't someone like you Beauty," he blushed slightly before clearing his throat, "I mean, your beautiful, and kind even to a man who deserves nothing but hate from you. It makes the pie taste all the better." His eyes scanned her face for her reaction but they were torn from her when Gordon entered.

"My king," he bowed respectfully.

"Yes, Gordon," he smiled as he waited.

"The gallows are prepared for the execution tomorrow," Gordon informed.

Vincent sighed. What better way to ruin a light mood but to bring up death, "Thank you, Gordon," he said. Gordon bowed and hurried away. Vincent turned back to Beauty and smiled, "Sorry about that."

Malece nodded her head in agreement, not arguing with the male on that point. Siegfried may have been the only person Malece had ever tried apple pie from, but she could already tell that it was the best apple pie she would ever taste in her life. She sat happily, eating small pieces of her slice of pie, enjoying how the apples were still crisp even though they were cooked through so they were soft but still held a slight crisp to them which is what Malece loved the most about apples.

As Vincent mentioned her kindness, even towards him, a man she should hate, she had stopped for a moment. She really didn't like being called Beauty... but she still did not feel like she should tell him her real name. She was about to say something when Gordon came into the dinning hall, interrupting their conversation. She was glad for the interruption though. She was about to tell Vincent to not call her Beauty, to call her Malece. She was glad Gordon's interruption snapped some sense back into her.

She took another bite of her pie, enjoying it as the two men spoke briefly about the gallows and the executions preparations for tomorrow being completed. She didn't want to go into town tomorrow now that she knew that a man would be hung. She didn't want to see where he would die or even watch it take place. Will he have her present for the hanging?

"Sorry about that," he said as Gordon left the two alone once more.

"It's alright... Will I have to be present for the hanging?" she asked Vincent. Since they had been brought to the subject, she would like to get the question out of her mind. She didn't want to watch anyone else die. She had her fair share and she did not want to watch another person die.

Vincent studied Beauty hard. Everyone was present for an execution and even those who were bedridden would find a way to be present for this one. This was the man who killed the royal family, to miss this would be disrespectful.

Vincent sighed. How could he expect this woman to be present? She didn't have a love for his kingdom and he didn't expect her to. She wasn't here of her own free will. She was his prisoner.

"No, I will not expect you to attend. After all, you aren't from here. You never knew my family. You may stay here," why did it hurt him to say that? How could he expect her to care when he had cared so little about her family.

Vincent found himself suddenly lacking the desire for company, "Come, allow me to show you to your new room," he cracked half a smile before he stood to his feet. He hadn't even finished his pie, suddenly no longer in the mood for it, "You may bring your pie with you, if you haven't finished it."

Vincent didn't wait for Beauty to move before he started slowly toward the hall. What had hurt him so? Was he that selfish as to expect her to attend the execution? She had seen enough death, more than she should ever have to. He shouldn't expect her to accompany him, and so he wouldn't.

He stopped before a large red door, "Your room with a fireplace," he smiled as he pushed the door open. It was his room and the warmest on this side of the castle, "Don't worry, if you need me I'm right next door," he was sacrificing for this woman. Why? He would have to figure that out.

"I mean no disrespect..." she said, seeing how his eyes hardened. "I just don't want to see anyone else die in front of me," she said softly to Vincent, but it seemed the male became put off from his pie from her request. Well it was not a request, it was just an inquiry. She wanted to know if she had to witness the execution. Being someone from another kingdom and not knowing that here, everyone attended executions, was not something she knew.

She felt a little guilty from his half smile and how he was suddenly wanting to dismiss her. She sighed and just put her feet on the floor and into her slippers, before she stood. She had had her fill of pie and she really wanted to sit by the fireplace and warm up.

Watching him leave without her shouldn't have made her chest ache but she would be lying if she said it didn't hurt her a bit. She stood up and left the rest of her pie and she followed after Vincent, hugging her blanket too her body more so, wanting the ache in her chest to go away. Sadness and pain in her eyes once more as she continued to follow after him. As they came upon a red door she looked at him as he opened it and revealed a larger bedroom with a large fireplace. It was lit and made the room nice and warm.

Stepping into the room, she brought her hand up to her neck, holding onto the band looking at everything in the room. It was much nicer the her old room. Was this his room? No, it couldn't be. Why would he give her his bedroom?

She turned and looked at Vincent. "Thank you," she said softly to him.

Vincent smiled, "You're welcome," he took a step back, "again, if you need me, I'm next door. Have a nice night, Beauty," he turned from her and pulled the doors closed behind him.

He paused a moment. His back leaned against the door. Behind this door was a young woman whose opinion and image of him mattered. Despite everything he had done, she had been kind to him. He would never understand it, but he would do his best to repay it.

Vincent moved from her door and to his new room. It was cooler than his old one, but it was a small sacrifice for Beauty's comfort. He crawled into his bed, the picture of his family had been left in the other room so he imagined their faces and said his good nights. His hands locked behind his head as he tried to sleep. His head was filled with conflicting emotions. He was glad that tomorrow justice would finally be served for his family. He was confused as to how he felt toward Beauty. The last time he had felt this way was around Sophia when he was fifteen. What had his mother called it? Vincent slid his eyes closed and concentrated on the memory.

"Vincent, what's wrong?"

"I'm not sure, mother," Vincent fidgeted in his chair, "Sophia, she's so pretty and I told her. She hurried away from me like I called her the plague. I don't understand," the pain was evident in the young prince's eyes.

His mother smiled warmly, "You hurt because you complimented someone you love, and when she didn't return it, you felt the pain of rejection."

Vincent's eyes shot opened. Did he love Beaty?

Malece looked into the room feeling the warmth cover her, warming her up slowly. She sighed softly, feeling better already. At there home, she would always fall asleep by the fire, enjoying the dangerous elements warmth. It was odd, but her mother told her she had done the same as a child. Maybe she was just like her mother.... that would make Malece happy. The little things would remind her of her mother on the darkest of days that she was sure to come.

She turned, looking at Vincent, as he said good night. "Good night, Vincent," she said, although she used his name with respect, almost like a friend would but one that was still not too close to Vincent.

When the door's closed, she relaxed a little. She moved into the room, taking the blanket off and grabbing a pillow from the bed, moving to the fireplace. The flames were protected by a protector, something she had never seen before but she didn't mind. She laid the blanket down on the floor and she then set the pillow there, before she laid down by the fire, sighing as the heat warmed her up and kept her warm.

She began thinking on that days events and what the next day would bring. That day had brought her more pain then she cared to have... but she was able to make peace and honor her fathers memory along with Kale's memory.

She just wished things had gone differently. She wished Kale had lived so that she could have asked him to let her brothers know that she was fine and that she would contact them soon. But now she was alone. The word, alone, caused her legs to pull up to her chest as she laid down on her side on the hearth, looking into the fire. She couldn't help as she began crying.

After a while, she got up from the not dimmed fireplace and she moved to the bed, crawling in and hugging a pillow to her chest. As she fell asleep, she couldn't help but cry in her sleep. She had been doing that almost every night she had been there. The sounds of her crying carried, however, echoing into the room next door to her own room. Her body was releasing the pent up emotions and it was something she did not do during days she had been there, only the nights.

Last edited:
Vincent paced his new room well into the night. His mind plagued b the realization of his feelings. He had fallen for the one woman who could not, who should not feel the same way. Fate was cruel to deal such a hand to him. Perhaps it was punishment for all the things he had done. To all the people he had hurt. If he were in his own room, he would question the painting that hung over the hearth as to why things had to turn out the way they had.

Vincent, exhausted, and all alone, finally sat down on the were of his bed. He had created this mess so he would have to deal with the consequences. He buried his face in his hands as he leaned on his legs. No tears fell, no sorrow manifested. The only thing he felt was disappointment in himself. How could he have let this happen?

A whimper pulled him from his despair. His head swiveled as he searched for the source. He was alone in his room. Vincent closed his eyes and it came once again. It was from the walls. He moved to the wall and placed his hand against it. The sound was louder the closer he moved his head. Someone was crying. Then it hit him, Beauty was crying.

Vincent hurried from his room and moved to her door. He was about to knock but hesitated. Would she want to see him? What comfort could he give her? He was probably the reason she was crying. He dropped his hand and softly placed it on her door. He hung his head as her cries poured from beyond it.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered as he stepped back from the door. He was about to return to his room when his concern for her overpowered his guilt. Quickly so he couldn't stop himself he knocked hard on her door.

Malece was a light sleeper, so a soft knock would have woken her from her sleep, but the hard knock shocked her and woke her with a start. She sat up with the shock of the loud sound waking her from her nightmare and she looked to the door. Her eyes were blurry as she got up from bed, her hair having come loose from her braid and tears still streaming down her face. She looked upset and like a mess. She wanted her mother and her father and her brothers. She wanted her family back, even if it was just for a moment.

Opening the door a little, she cleared her throat a little. She opened the door a bit more, but she did not show herself. She had a hand on her mouth, muffling the sobs that were now wracking her body. She could only pretend to be strong for so long before the grief and sorrow set in and her nights were filled with both emotions, along with pain.

She backed away from the door, forcing herself to calm down enough to talk. She moved into view, her hair hiding most of her face from view. "I'm sorry... if I woke you," she said softly, her voice strained as she spoke.

She hugged herself as she stood there in the doorway, her head bowed low as she looked at the floor, her vision still blurred. Her hands clenched as she tried not to let out the sobs that wanted to be released. Her tears continued to drip and land on the floor or on her chest, little wet stains forming on the blanket she wrapped around her shoulders and her chest. Her body trembled slightly as she cried, unable to speak anymore.

Usually she was always calm and quiet but her nights were often like this and with her room so far away from Vincent, he would have never known, not until now.

"No," Vincent started, "you didn't wake me. I too am having difficulty sleeping," he averted his eyes, trying desperately not to look at her. He had a guess as To why she was so upset, and if he was rift, part of tut was his fault. Here he was, part of the problem, wanting so badly to be part of the solution.

"I heard you through the wall," he continued, "and I wanted to make sure you were okay. I mean," he sighed, "You obviously aren't, but I wanted to make sure you safe."

Was there really anything the man who was responsible for so much of this woman's heartache could do to help? He had tried by allowing her to honor her father's memory and instead of just that, her life and modesty were put at risk and a close friend of the family had been killed. He had lifted her confinement, encouraged her independence a bit, and apologized. But it didn't matter what he did, he could never undo what had already happened.

Vincent was coming to terms with Fate's cruel design. Falling for the woman in front of him was Fate's way of punishing him, it had to be. He had once been a confident, gentle young man and overnight had transformed into a beast. He had done so much damage and none of it was repairable.

He sighed...again, "I'll leave you be," he spoke as he bowed slightly and took a step back, "Beauty, if you ever just need to talk, I'll listen." He offered. He would listen because he deserved the verbal lashing she had held back. He didn't deserve her kindness and her gentle touch. His hands subconsciously wrung together as he thought about her hands caring for his. Peen then, that was her duty as a healer. Were she anything but that, he would of been doomed to suffer. Which he would have taken as another form of punishment.

Malece kept her eyes downcast as Vincent spoke. She didn't really understand why he was so worried about her. Maybe he was just feeling guilty and just wanted to make up for what had happened, but that would never happen and he knew that, she knew that... but just knowing that he was trying, worrying about her in her most painful of moments, made her heart clench slightly.

She brought her hand up and wiped the tears from her eyes as she looked up at him. Her eyes were blood shot and puffy from crying so much and holding in the sobs. She looked broken, completely and utterly shattered and there he was standing there trying to see if she was safe. Him, the man who had caused all of this pain... but she couldn't give him all the blame. He had been shattered just as she had been and his lose was just as great. Knowing this, lessened her anger and her hatred for the man a bit.

I'll leave you be.

As he said that, she couldn't control her hand as it shot out and grabbed the sleeve of his arm. Her head was tilted down and her grip was weak, shaky as she held onto Vincent's arm. She didn't want to be alone. She didn't want to be haunted by her loved ones faces in the dark.

"Please... I... I don't want to be alone..." she whispered softly, her form shaking as she said it.

She would understand if he would prefer not to be near her, the guilt in his eyes from what she could see, but if he wanted to help her, leaving her alone in the darkness was not going to help her. She was already alone as it was, she didn't want to be alone any more. Her arm tightened around her body, holding herself as she stood there in the door of the room she had moved into. She had a feeling it was his room and he had given it up to her, only from the large family portrait that hung on the walls.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
"Please...I... I don't want to be alone..."

She spoke after her weak, shaking hands gripped the sleeve of his shirt. Vincent turned and looked at her, his heart breaking all the more. She was seeking comfort from the source of some of her nightmares. He didn't understand it, but he would not question it. Whatever he could do to ease her suffering, he would.

"I'll stay, Beauty," he spoke softly, almost in a whisper, "I'll stay close to you so long as you'll have me," his words held double meaning but he doubted in her current state, she would of caught it. But he said it none the less, more for his own ears.

Vincent stepped through her door and pushed it shut behind him. He would be whatever she needed him to be, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to speak to, arms for comfort. It didn't matter so long as she felt somewhat better.
----------
Sarah was making her rounds when she peeked around the corner of the hall and caught her king speaking to Beauty. She could barely hear what was being said and felt horrible for eavesdropping but curiosity had stolen her reasoning.

Her heart broke for her king as she saw the flickers of pain and sadness mixed with loneliness pass by his features and body. She had only seen him in this state once before and hoped that he would never fall into it again. But here he was, standing before a young woman with that same look in his eyes.

Her hand covered her mouth as realization struck her. Tears formed in her eyes, both of joy and pain. But in this moment, pain overruled her joy. She would recognize that look in his eyes, she had experienced it before when the father of her son refused to marry her. It was that defeat, that pain and loneliness that she could relate to. Her king loved Beauty but he also knew that he had caused to much harm for that emotion to ever be reciprocated. She cried for her king, silent sobs heaved her chest.

Then a tiny hand grabbed his arm and Sarah watched through watered eyes. Malece had said something she could not hear and her king's reply came shortly after.

"I'll stay close to you so long as you'll have me."

Sarah caught both meanings. He would stay with her now and forever if she wished. It made her smile but it didn't mend her broken heart. Malece could never fall in love with her King. He was a monster and the one who had her father killed and took her from her family and friends.

Sarah's back hit the wall when she heard the door shut. She slid to the floor and buried her face in hands, "Oh, my king, I'm so sorry," she apologized for the cruel life Fate had weaver for him.

• Love
Reactions: Lawkheart
Malece took a few steps back as Vincent entered the room and closed the door behind him. She let go of his arm and she hugged herself as she stood there. She remained very silent as she stood there. She had been thinking about her brothers that night, wondering if they were safe, if they were together. She wanted to know where they were, if they had been able to honor their father like their mother had shown them. She had been plagued with wanting to be with her remaining family that she did not even know where they were.

She couldn't help as a soft sob tore out of her throat and filled the emptiness around them. She was trembling as she stood there still, but she forced herself to breath. She looked up at Vincent, sadness and pain and worry in her eyes.

She knew her brothers, they did not like injustice and Isaiah especially, he would find a way to get her back and exact revenge, which she would usually talk him out of but she was not there and it worried her to no end. "I'm sorry..." she whispered, letting out a soft, sad chuckle as she looked down her chuckle turning into a sob. "I... I miss my brothers... I miss my mama and my papa..." she sobbed out hugging herself, her words coming out in whispers.

"I don't want to say these things to you... give you more guilt, more pain then you already have... I'm sorry," she rambled, crying as she looked at him.

She couldn't stop now as she sobbed out that she was sorry.

"I'm sorry papa, mama, Thomas, Isaiah... I'm so sorry," she sobbed, her knees giving out and she let her body fall to her knees as she sobbed. She was breaking down completely in front of the man that had caused a large part of her pain. Granted he did not kill her mother, but she lost her father, Kale and any chance of seeing her brothers again. He had taken much from her and yet she could not hate him completely. She could never hate someone completely. She hated the men who had forced her family to watch her mother burn for crimes she was innocent of. She hated the men who had killed Vincent's family. She hated the beast that had caused her fathers death, but she did not hate Vincent.

He was suffering as much as she was, even more then her. She could not hate him, but she could hate his actions and hate them she did.

Last edited:
Vincent stood there taking her words. Each one was a punch to his gut and each sob a strike against his heart. Tears filled his own eyes as he was once again forced to face the damage he had caused. He swallowed hard to choke back his own cry for the deeds he had done. He didn't deserve the satisfaction of that release however.

She spoke of not wanting to cause more grief or pain to him by speaking of these matters with him. Bt she could not bring more guilt or pain, his heart was filled with it. He even began to question how he could love when he was nothing worth loving himself.

She apologized to her loved ones and a tear slid down Vincent's struggling face. He deserved this. He knew it. When Beauty fell to the ground in sobs, Vincent gave in. His face twisting in agony and sorrow. His hand slid up to his mouth as he turned his head to hide his shame. He could not blame her for this. He would suffer this every night if it would help atone for his crimes against her.

Vincent hung his head, "I'm so sorry," he started as he lowered himself to her. His hands folded in his lap as he sat back on his legs, "This...is all my fault," he swallowed hard as his voice cracked, "I wish I could take it all back. I wish I could fix it. But the truth of it is I cannot. I am nothing but a beast and always will be. The things I touch wither away and those I love," his head rose to settle his eyes on her face. If she looked hard enough she would see his heart, "Suffer because of me," he ended.

His tremoring hand took hers, "I don't deserve your forgiveness and I've only earned your hate, but I want you to know that I am truly sorry."

He wished so badly to throw his arms around her. To hold her while she mourned her losses. To kiss her heartache away. But he had lost that right the moment he had ordered the raid on that caravan.

Malece had her arms wrapped tightly around her body as she tried to fight back the sobs that wanted to fall from her mouth. Her mind kept going back to her mothers death. She did not have time to mourn for her mothers cruel death. She had to stay strong for her father who was as broken as she was now. She owed it to her mother to be strong for her father and her brothers, where her mother could no longer do so. But now her father was dead and her brothers were not there with her and she didn't have anyone to be strong for. She could barely be strong for herself during the days here, her nights were often like this and she knew her guards would hear her, even Gordon had heard her. She just couldn't take it.

She could hear his words, through her sorrow she heard him. Her head tilted up and she looked at him, seeing the guilt and the pain on his face, the tears streaming down his face as he kneeled in front of her. As he said that he only deserved her hate she felt angry, anger filling her face as well. "I don't hate you. I hate the actions you committed," she sobbed out in an angry gasp. She overwhelmed in emotions she kept in check.

"I hate the king who forced my family to watch my innocent mother burn alive. I hate the cowards that harmed an innocent family that slept. I hate the beast that was created due to their actions, but I do not hate you," she said, as if she was fed up and angry and she was.

She looked at his bandaged hands and she reached her hand out and she took one of them. "The fact... that you brought me back to honor my father... shows that this beast is a facade..." she said, her anger calming away. She still cried, unable to stop but her sobs had stopped with her anger.

She took in a shaky breath as her head tilted down looking at Vincent's hand. Her hand trembled slightly as she held onto his. "I... I am not strong... I have no one to be strong for... except my promise... to bring back the real Vincent, for your families memory," she said looking up at him. Pain, sadness, loss; all of these things were in her emerald eyes, but determination was there as well. She would bring back Vincent and she would gain justice by killing the beast in bringing Vincent, the real Vincent, back.