Beauty and the Beast

Selphia looked at her daughter as Malece unveiled her motive for comng. Telra looked down at the floor and then hurried out of the room. This was not a subject she wished to take part of in conversation. Selphia sighed and spoke to her guest, "Do forgive her. Ever since Vincent took her against her will, any mention of this curse makes her uneasy. The king had crossed many lines, but that was the last for me. I could no longer sit idly by and let him ruin lives like he ruined Telra's. You of all people must understand."

Selphia sighed, "For his crimes, I gave Vincent five years to return to who he once was. If he could not do so," she paused and shook her head, "Would not doe so, then the whole kingdom would fall into a nightmarish slumber. Vincent must remember who he was."

She pushed herself to her feet and shuffled to the window, "I did not wish to punish the kingdom for his crimes, but he had to know that he could not do what he wishes and go unpunished. His choices effect other people. This was just one more. We know that he will not change, unfortunately. These people will all suffer because of his crimes, because of his wickedness."

She turned back to Malece and sighed, "It would do you well to try and leave this place, my dear. Run. Far away. Do not become anymore of a victim to Vincent. Be free." Selphia had spoken with Malece's brothers. She knew hey were in town and what they had planned. If they could succeed then the curse would be lifted. But they would not if Malece was in the way of danger.

• Love
Reactions: Lawkheart
Malece's calm expression changed when she found out about what Vincent had done to have the curse placed upon him. After what happened to his sisters... he had done that to another person, a young woman who looked about the age of his sister. Malece's face fell, becoming a serious but still calm expression. "I could no longer sit idly by and let him ruin lives like he ruined Telra's. You of all people must understand." Malece did not understand... she had not been raped... she had been taken to be a trophy, nothing more then a piece of art for Vincent to admire. Malece remained silent as the older woman spoke. Five years? How much longer did he have? Malece thought to herself.

Selphia stood up and shuffled over to the window. Malece stood up and followed after her after a few moments. "We know that he will not change, unfortunately. These people will all suffer because of his crimes, because of his wickedness." Malece remained silent as the older woman spoke. She moved to stand next to Selphia, having set her glass on the table.

"I do not believe that..." she spoke up softly, after Selphia's warning. "Vincent... The king has done... horrible things.... all because he was kind to the wrong person... He is damaged... but not beyond repair," Malece said, looking at Selphia, her eyes moist, just slightly. "I've made a promise, Selphia... To the people of this kingdom... and the kings slain family. I will not rest until Vincent has returned to himself, but I needed to know everything and I still do not know everything... but I know who Vincent truly is, is still locked away, deep in his heart," her words were filled with certainty.

"I am glad you find me worth warning, Selphia... but I would rather die then to let more people suffer when I have the ability to help," she said, before she bowed in respect to Selphia. Her tone had been respectful, but somewhat blank. "Thank you for taking the time to speak with me... if you'd have me, I'd like to come visit sometime, if that is okay with both you and Telra," she said, standing up straight once more before she headed to the door and turned once more to Selphia. "Have a nice evening."

~*~

Malece made it back to the castle and her heart heavy in her chest as she thought about what Selphia told her.

As she reached the castle gates, they opened for her and she entered, the wind blowing her hair and dress back. She was greeted by a few of the servants and the guards, who let her go inside. She went back to her bedroom and she sighed, removing her boots and setting her basket down. She went to bath, scrubbing to make sure she brought none of the plague with her to Vincent's bedroom. She was going to talk to Vincent about what she had learned.

Once she was clean, she dried and dressed, wearing one of the dresses she had been given when she had first been brought there. It was a simple emerald green dress, one that matched her eyes. Once she was dressed, slippers on her feet, she brushed her hair and let it dry as she had a warming cup of hot apple cider.

Malece sighed as she walked up the steps and then down the hallway to Vincent's bedroom. The guards didn't even stop her, one holding the door for her and letting her enter the room. The smell of smoke fill her nose. Someone had started the fire, but it was starting to die down. Malece brought some logs to the fire to let it start up once more. She stood straight once more and turned to see Vincent sleeping in his bed. The seat next to his bed was empty. She moved over silently and she climbed in, pulling her legs to rest under her. Malece hugged herself as she sat there in the silence, the only sound was their breathing and the crackle of the fire.

She was going to wait until Vincent woke up.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Vincent's rest was peaceful for the first time in days. Though the thoughts of what had transpired between he and Beauty continued to foul his mood. His eyes fluttered open and a sigh escaped his lips as he stretched ever so slightly. His head turned to the side to see Beauty sitting beside him and his heart immediately came under attack. His eyes moved everywhere, refusing to settle on the woman he had hurt so badly that she could not return his feelings for her. In fact, by admitting his feelings, she had further distanced herself.

He cleared his throat softly and spoke in a groggy tone, "Beauty," he forced a smile though the pain in his chest made it difficult, "It's nice to see you," his eyes still not settling on hers out of shame and embarrassment. Everything Vincent had done, he knew was one more thing she could use to rightfully justify not loving him. Sarah had told him that Beauty was aiding the town as they too had fallen ill of the same plague. He knew she would hear more tales of his cruelty. They were true, mostly, and he was not proud of them, but they were probably what she needed to prove to him that he was not the man for her. At least she had not heard of what he had done to Telra. That was his single most regretted decision and the one that had condemned his people to a fate he could not save them from.

There was a soft knock at the door and then it opened. Sarah stepped in and immediately bowed when she saw Beauty sitting beside Vince, "I'm sorry," she apologized, "I was just coming to see if there was anything I could get for you."

Vincent pushed himself up against the pillows that were used to prop him up. He smiled tight lipped and shook his head before he turned to Beauty, "Not unless Beauty needs something," he raised an arm gesturing to her.

Sarah's eyes turned to Beauty and she smiled, "Is there anything I can get for you, M'Lady?"

• Love
Malece looked over at Vincent as she heard him sigh and stretch. When he looked over at her, she could see his eyes widen and then look away from her with embarrassment and guilt. However, she did not look away from him, her gaze steady and unmoving. "Good afternoon... Vincent," she said in return. It had been the first she had addressed him by his name in his presence. She had always called him 'your majesty' or 'the king', another way to distance herself from him. But today she needed to know what was wrong with him. Why, How could he have done the one thing that had been done to his family, to his sisters? Did he feel any guilt from doing it? Or did his guilt only come from what he had done to her, because he loved her... if he even truly loved her.

The gentle knock at the door distracted Malece's gaze, looking at the door watching as Sarah walked in. The bow annoyed Malece but she said nothing, remaining silent. She sat up in her seat before she stood completely, going over to the pot of clove water that was running low. "Could you boil more cloves and one of the leaves I showed you for the king?" she asked. When Sarah asked her if she needed anything, Malece shook her head. She would wait until Sarah returned before she began speaking to Vincent.

When Sarah left once more, Malece moved back to the seat and sat back down, looking at her lap as she sat there in silence. "I spoke with Selphia and Telra today," she admitted after a while of silence between them. She looked up from her lap to look at Vincent. "I want to ask you some questions on the matter, but I will not ask them until Sarah returns with your treatment and then leaves," she said softly, her voice sounding blank. She knew.

When Sarah returned, Malece stood and took the pot from her, thanking the older woman.

Malece poured some of the liquid into a clean glass and then brought it over to Vincent. She waited until he finished drinking before she spoke again. "Why?" she began. "Why did you rape Telra? What reason could you have possibly had to justify doing that?" she asked, her voice even and calm even though her eyes looked at her lap and her hand, held onto each other tightly, her knuckles white with the tension. Malece was furious.

• Love
If Vincent's face could have turned a whiter shade it would have. Beauty had spoken with Selphia and Telra. His eyes flicked to hers and then quickly looked away. What he thought he saw was disdain and hatred. Why would she look at him any differently. Every time he looked in a mirror he saw those two things for his own image. He was no better than the men who butchered his family and raped his sisters. But he deserved a worse fate than theirs and it had been delivered and would still be so.

Sarah came and went, the silence hung thick in the air and if Vincent could have, he would have run out of the room. He was being forced to face his crimes. It was judgment day for him and he knew there to be only one result of it. He would be honest with Beauty and it would do little to help. There will forever be a hole in his heart and life as a Beauty refused to even look upon his face. He was a monster. Vincent had known all along that it mattered not about the perspective of the people. He would always be a monster.

"Why? Why did you rape Telra? What reason could you have possibly had to justify that?"

There it was. The question no one had dared to ask. Vincent's eyes flicked to her and he could see the tension in her hands. He looked up at the ceiling and swallowed hard. Her body language validated his perspective of her and Vincent felt like vomiting. His heart, what was left of it, was torn from his chest and his mind raged with excuses but he had promised her silently to be honest.

Vincent turned to her no matter how painful it was, and spoke, his eyes looking at her downward gaze, "I-" he paused, "I have no justification, I have no excuse," it came out faster and easier than he thought it would, "I committed an evil and heinous act out of anger. I had the ability to control myself and I refused."

Now Vincent's gaze turned to the ceiling, "Now you know everything that I have done. You know that everything here is my fault, the curse, my decisions, my kingdom. It was all my responsibility and I failed. I am a monster, Beauty."

Vincent spoke with finality. His jaw clenched shut, unable to speak anymore as he fought off the sorrow. He knew he had lost Beauty the day he reinstated her prison sentence. This would just seal it all. He had lost the only woman he had loved and now that she knew what he had done, who he really was, she could, she would, never love him. Despite his will to fight off the sorrow, Vincent could not stop the tears as one slid down both cheeks.

"I have failed my kingdom as its king. I have failed the memory of my family as a son and brother. I have failed the people I have loved as their friend, but Beauty, none of that hurts more than knowing that I have failed you as the one woman I have truly loved," Vincent confessed.

"There is nothing I can do to remake the decisions I have made. I can only look to the decisions I will make in the future," he paused a moment and then looked down toward his chest, "Though there is no future for me without you," Vincent knew she would hate him, but he would not let her cut him out of her life until he spoke his heart. It would not matter in the end, but if he didn't, it would be one more thing he would add to the mistakes he had made.

• Love
Malece was silent as Vincent spoke, the pain in his voice, not from the illness, no it was from his heart. He had done it out of anger and he regretted it. What Malece could not understand was why she was feeling betrayed. He had already betrayed her, yet this, something he had done in the past, hurt her more then being called a piece of his collection. She was silent as he spoke, blaming himself, like he always did when they spoke alone. But this time he continued to mention her, and each time he did, the pain in his voice would increase. She looked up at Vincent and she could see the tears on his cheeks. He had never cried in her presence before. That was enough proof to her that he was truly sorry.

"I have failed my kingdom as its king. I have failed the memory of my family as a son and brother. I have failed the people I have loved as their friend, but Beauty, none of that hurts more than knowing that I have failed you as the one woman I have truly loved," That statement as it fell from his lips, caused her eyes to widen and her chest to ache. Her hands trembled as she repeated what he had said over and over and over again in her mind. He was not delirious so she could not blame it on that. Every time she tried to push the statement off as a result of something else, it was too false for her to justify. He loved her and she couldn't make herself believe he was lying.

"Do... do you really feel sorry for what you've done?" she whispered her question because she could not bring herself to raise her voice when she was fighting off the urge to sob. But she could not control the tears that slid down her cheeks. The relief that was in her eyes, along with the shock, was very obvious, if Vincent looked.

She cleared her throat and wiped her tears away from her cheeks but she couldn't stop them from continuing to fall. The pain was still there but it had lessened and she had not cried in what felt like forever. He loves me. That singular sentence continued to reverberate throughout her mind over and over and her chest filled with the intense relief that she could not control. The happiness that joined that ache in her chest was also a surprise, but she stopped fighting it and she welcomed it.

Standing up from her seat, she moved to sit on the bed, facing him. She was still crying but she wiped them away once more and cleared her throat. "Vincent... Look at me..." she whispered her request, her voice no longer sounding blank and empty. She sounded relieved and like she was holding back sobs.

When he finally looked at her, he could see that she did not hate him. That she did not want to leave him to wallow in self pity and self-loathing. She was still wanted to help him. There was something else in her face as she looked back into his. It was love... but she did not say those words. She could not say them... not now, not until he's changed and the monster has disappeared. And she knew just how to help him change back. But she had to tell him her real name... because Beauty is what he took her for but Malece, was he loved her for.

"Malece... My name is Malece," she whispered, looking at him with a loving look in her eyes.

• Love
Vincent looked at Beauty when she ordered him to. Both of their eyes glistened and were tinted red from tears. But he couldn't pull them away. Her voice had changed and so had the look in her eyes. She didn't look at him with disgust of hatred, but with relief and...and...was that... It couldn't be.

"Malece...my name is Malece."

Vincent didn't know what to say. For so long she had refused to tell him her name out of her own stubbornness for what he had done to her. He still remembered the day that he had asked for her name and she had refused. Malece spoke her name quietly and the look in her eyes broke his heart, but in a good way.

"Malece," he said as he tested the way it rolled off his tongue. He smiled, it rolled off with ease, "Malece," he said it again but his smile faded, "I'm sorry for everything I have done to you."

Vincent hoped silently that he would have heard from her mouth how she felt about him, but he understood that that may have to wait until he proved to be a man who deserved those words, "What can I do to prove to you tha-" he coughed, still not completely healed it seemed, "excuse me, to prove that I can be a different man, a better man. I can be a man you can love." His eyes spoke volumes of how badly he wished to hear those words from her.

• Love
Malece moved away and poured Vincent another glass of the liquid. They had another paste treatment that they had to do either tonight or tomorrow in the early hours. Malece leaned in and helped him drink it this time. Once he finished, she helped him lay back into his pillows. "You keep pushing yourself when you should be resting..." she scolded lightly, tucking the blanket around Vincent's chest, to keep it warm. She moved back to sitting beside him on the bed and she looked at him as he spoke.

"Your people need you Vincent... not the Monster King. They need Vincent... the one who would climb off his horse to help an elderly woman carry her belongings back to her home. The one who would bring food and water to families starving because of the drought or the famin. They need to see him again. And I've done as best as I can, but they need you to show that you are truly sorry. That you are willing to change back... and from the days I've spent with the villagers, they think it will be hard for you to change... but they are willing to give you another chance, if you will take it," she spoke softly, of what he had to do and the good the villagers remembered him doing.

Her face fell slightly but she kept her eyes on him. "And you need to apologize to Telra and Selphia... Just as you apologize to me, you need to show them the same regret. Even if Selphia does not lift the curse. Even if Telra refuses to accept the apology, you have to try," she said the words, softly but firmly.

"There is a lot to be done in the kingdom Vincent... and once your better, I will help you start," she added, taking his hand into her own. "I will help you take control of the hurt that has had the reigns on your decisions," she added offering the male a smile.

Her hands were still so soft, even though she has done much, much more for this kingdom then anyone would have expected of her, considering she was just a piece in Vincent's collection, but now she was something more. She was the light that would lead him out of this darkness that has consumed him. She was the gentle hands that would pull him out of the hole he had fallen in and let get deeper from the hurt in his soul. She would help him become himself again.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Vincent, ever eager, listened to Malece's words but when she had finished, he pushed the sheets from his form. There was work to do so that Malece could see his sincerity, that the people would see his desire to change. Vincent struggled to turn himself in the bed, "Sarah!" He called trying to hurry out of bed before Malece could stop him, but she was sitting on the bed, surely she would try to keep him in bed.

Sarah opened the door and stepped in, "My lord?" She bowed slightly.

"Fetch my horse, an armed guard, and...a cane of sorts," he ordered her.

Sarah looked over at Malece. Her eyes spoke of how horrible an idea she thought this to be, but who was she to tell her king no. Sarah sighed and looked at her king. She felt an overwhelming since of duty to her kingdom in just that moment, "No, sire," she replied.

Vincent stopped what he was doing and looked at her stunned. Sarah never told him no, "Excuse me?"

Sarah bowed, "I'm sorry, my lord, but I can not allow you to leave the castle in your current state."

Vincent glared at her, "Sarah, fetch me my horse, some guards, and a cane. Now. My people need me."

Sarah looked to Malece for help, "My lady," she begged, "Please, convince him to stay."

Vincent growled, "I will do this with or without your help, either of yours. I'm no monster and my people need to see that. If that means I show them my suffering and how I can set it aside to tend to theirs then by the gods that is what I will do." He spoke. His eyes showing his sincerity. If they weren't going to help him, he really was going to do it alone. Either way, he was leaving these castle walls and tending to his people. Malece had faith in him, she loved him he knew it and he desperately needed to hear her say those words. The faster he showed them that he could change, the sooner he could love Malece entirely.

• Love
Vincent was trying to climb out of bed, but Malece was firm as she made sure he stayed put. "Are you daft? You will die if you go to the village now," she said, not too harshly but harsh enough to get her point across. When Sarah arrived, Malece looked to the older woman for help and the woman was on her side on this. In Vincent's condition he could not expose himself to the villagers, we're many are still very ill. Malece had only met half of the families she needed to get to. "I will do this with or without your help, either of yours. I'm no monster and my people need to see that. If that means I show them my suffering and how I can set it aside to tend to theirs then by the gods that is what I will do." His words angered Malece and she had never visibly showed her anger to anyone. "So help me Vincent I will tie you to this bed if you do not start thinking about your health!" she yelled, the level of her voice was louder then she had ever showed to anyone, Sarah even stood stunned by it.

Standing up from the bed, she pulled Vincent back to the bed. "You will think of your people and get better with them! Not act like a fool and go out there now and get yourself killed before they can even see you try to be sincere. They will see it as a cruel, dying kings last attempt at trying to leave this earth with a clear conscience," she paused a moment to try and calm herself, "It will not change how they see you, other then see you as weak coward." Her normal calm tone on this topic was gone. "Now you are going to listen to the healer that is healing you, the one who cares for you," she began, her voice returning to normal as she mentioned herself. She then lifted her hand and directed his eyes to Sarah, "And the woman who cares for you more then her own life."

"If not, I will tie to this bed and I will tell the guards what action you are trying to accomplish and they will most likely rather be flogged then let their king kill himself," she said as a final word on the subject. She would not hear his argument, her tone similar to his own mother when she said the final word on a subject.

~*~

Isaiah passed the room at the inn. They had been staying there, hiding themselves from their sister and from most of the other villagers, since they had similar features to their sister, especially Thomas. He was the male version of Malece. "Isaiah... what is she doing? She's not being forced to do this and she doesn't even have a guard!" Thomas exclaimed as he sat on one of the beds. "I know... she even went to meet with the witch," Isaiah informed the younger male. His eyes widened at the news. "Then she must know about the curse... Would the witch have told her that you've been visiting her?" Thomas asked in panic. If Malece knew about them being there, she would have come and found them and they would not be able to get their revenge on the monster who had her captive.

"I don't think she knows... I saw her leave the house in shock but she didn't head back to the village. She went back to the castle.... I need to find out about why the witch casted the curse... she keeps telling me that she just saw the cruelty of the king, but I know there more to it... there has to be," Isaiah said, pacing still. "Do you think Malece will come by here? The inn keeper's seen our faces," Thomas said. "I already have the Inn Keeper's silence. Everything is going to plan... we just need to find a way to get Malece out of the kingdom for a while," Isaiah added, finally stopping his pacing.

That's when an idea hit him, hard. He knew how to get Malece out of the castle... but it would take time.

Vincent clenched his jaw. No one spoke to him like Malece had just done, but for once he'd was silently thankful. The small walk he had taken had tired him greatly. He saw in Malece those unspoken feelings, he hoped, and finally he complied. He crawled back into bed and pulled the blankets up to where Malece had them before he foolishly tried to leave the room.

Sarah looked relieved that he had given in to Malece, though she was certain that if she had been any other person, he would have continued to ignore them. Vincent truly loved Malece, and the thought made her smile. If only Malece felt the same way for the king.

"Malece," Vincent spoke calmly and quietly, probably a result more of the walk than really wishing to speak quietly, "You will continue to aid my people?" His brow furrowed. Of course she would. If she would care for him then she would care for them, "Will you..." His eyes flicked to Sarah and then back to Malece, "Would you consider moving back to your room beside mine?"

Sarah smiled lightly and then left the room as Vincent continued his request, "I cannot bear the thought of you not being near me."
-----
"Mother, do you think Malece is trying to break the curse?" Telra asked Selphia. Her soft hands pulled the brush through her mother's greying curls.

"Why would she? Malece was harmed by the king just as you were, my dear. She would want him to suffer for what he had done," Selphia assured her daughter.

"Yes, mother," Telra replied. Her eyes shifted to the floor. Telra was never sure she liked her mother's curse. It condemned the whole kingdom for one man's actions. She would have been far more appreciative if the curse just target Vincent. She held her tongue however, her mother was never one for arguing.

• Love
Malece relaxed a bit more once Vincent listened to her and laid back down in his bed. She waited until he was covered once more before sitting down next to him once more. She felt a little embarrassed by how she had reacted. She didn't know what was wrong with her... it must be because she cared for him. She still could not admit to loving Vincent. He had not given her much reason to... yet she could feel the stirrings in her chest and belly. No, she would not admit it... not now.

"Malece," His words were quiet and she looked at him, her eyes focusing on him. "You will continue to aid my people?"

She looked to Vincent, nodding her head, when she remembered something. She stood from the bed and went to the door. "Can you have Sarah and Dannette bring up the paste's for the kings treatment?" she asked one of the guards. When she was given an answer she closed the door once more and went back over to Vincent.

She took her place next to Vincent. "Of course... I will continue to care for them as I will care for you," she verbally confirmed her nod to his first question. How could Malece abandon them all now when they were still healing and recuperating? "Would you consider moving back to your room beside mine?" His next question almost had her blushing, but she did not let her cheeks become rosy. "I cannot bear the thought of you not being near me." She offered him a shy smile as she looked at her lap. The ache in her chest was still there but she decided to ignore it. For right now, she would be happy with knowing that Vincent was willing to change, to try and redeem himself for his people.... and for her.

"I'll move my things once you fall asleep after your treatment," she promised him, a gentle smile on her face.

• Love
Vincent couldn't help but smile as Malece promised to move her things to the room she had abandoned. To be close to the woman he loved once again warmed his heart beyond its warmth already. She didn't fight him overly, he didn't have to convince her, she just agreed. Vincent slowly nodded and then shut his eyes. It had been a long day. Trying to get up to leave the castle prematurely had really taken much from him.
------
For Vincent, time passed just as slowly as it had before. He had finally been granted permission to walk about the wing of the castle where his room was. He visited his family portrait in Malece's room; when she was present, of course. Not long after, walking was expanded to the throne room. Once that happened, Vincent began to once again take the concerns of the people.

Vincent did his best, with Malece present and even when she was not. He rightly judged farming disputes, land disputes and to everyone he had wronged, Vincent delivered to them repayment sevenfold. If the sin was not monetary, Vincent compensated them as best he could, even to the point of giving away some of his prized possessions in his collection of beauty. This was not about him, or the memory of his family, it was time for Vincent to move on and honor them by becoming the man he was supposed to be in the first place.

It was on one of these days were Vincent was busying himself with the ordeals of his people, "It doesn't matter what has happened," he spoke calmly to the two angry men before him, "The truth of the matter is that both of you have been taking livestock from the other. You will tally up what has been stolen and you will bring the lists to me upon our next meeting. I will then look upon them and determine what both of your compensations shall be. If I hear that one livestock has been stolen from now till then, that person will forfeit their right to a fair hearing and will owe the opposite without compensation of their own," the flush faced let him know that they understood, "Thank you. I shall see you when you've done the work I've assigned you."

The men bowed out and the doors opened once again. Vincent was rubbing his temples, too tired and stressed to notice the elderly woman who made her way to her place. The room was eerily quiet despite the occupation of several people. The sudden silence bringing Vincent's eyes up. They widened and he sat back immediately.

"Selphia." The little old witch grinned as she studied the king.

• Love
Vincent was an impatient patient but, Malece was a strict healer and she made sure he was well rested, ate well, had his treatments and bathed once a day. It was five days before she allowed him to walk around that wing of the castle, two guards with her to help carrying Vincent if he could no longer stand. Another five days and she allowed him to walk around the castle with only one guard and herself. Two weeks later, she allowed him to sit in the throne room and receive visitors from the village with complaints. It was in that time that the villagers were returning back to their lives. Almost all of the sick were up and about and they had not had anyone falling ill since she began treatments.

She stayed with Vincent a few times, remaining silent as one after another his victims came to confront him. She was glad that he understood their anger and re-payed them more then what he had even taken from them, but he showed true sorry towards them. After the first three days, she did not have to be with him during these moments. Instead she went out to the village and checked up on all of the ill, bought certain herbs she did not have growing in her new makeshift garden now.

That day she was out in the village with one of the maids, getting fitted for a few dresses. The seamstress was the mother of the boy that Malece had helped heal and who was now up and about. The woman had told her to come by at anytime to get fitted for dresses.

Malece had been given money and she tried to pay for the dresses, but the woman would not take the money, so Malece bought her family all the food she could with the money and brought it to the woman's home. "Bless ya miss," the woman said and Malece just smiled and said her goodbyes.

Walking through the town a young man approached her. "Miss Beauty? A man gave me this to give to you," the boy said, handing her a folded piece of paper. Malece looked confused but she opened the paper and her eyes widened, knowing this handwriting anywhere. "Who is it from, Miss?" the maid asked her, concern in her eyes. Tears grew in her eyes as she read the note. "It's... It's from my brother's," she whispered softly.

Malece needed to speak to Vincent.

From the note, Isaiah was taking care of Thomas, who had hurt himself and was now ill and Isaiah needed her help. He had also explained that they had followed after the soldiers and had known where she was but Thomas had hurt himself and Isaiah couldn't leave Thomas alone. But Malece knew that Isaiah would not know exactly what to do and she couldn't sit by and let her brothers suffer and possibly die. She didn't want to loose anyone else.

• Love
Vincent shifted uneasily on his throne as Selphia stood as tall as her curved spine would allow her. The guards began to close around her and Vincent held up his hand, "No, stop," they ceased and Gordon looked at him. Selphia smiled slightly as Vincent looked down at her, "What are you doing here, Selphia?"

She acted as if his question offended her, "Why, I heard you were feeling better and I wished to deliver you my best wishes upon your continued recovery. Is that such a bad thing?"

Vincent sighed, his brow furrowed and he spoke sternly, "Do not play games with me. Why are you here?"

Selphia's smile faded and she clicked her cane against the stone floor, "I heard a rumor was spreading. One that said that you were trying to change. I had to come and see it for myself."

Vincent didn't show emotion as he slowly nodded weary of what the witch would do, "Yes, I've realized the folly of my way and am trying to make it right, "Vincent stood slowly and gestured to the line outside the throne room, "I'm returning that which I took and more," Vincent paused and then turned to Sarah and nodded. Sarah scurried over to Selphia and handed her a contract written by the king, "This six my penance to you and Telra, Selphia."

Selphia read the paper and her eyes grew wide with shock. The king was willing to set her and Telra up for so long as he lived. It was a change, especially since she could see the condition of his heart. Gone was the blackness. She thought a moment and recalled the night her dauber returned after Vincent had had his way with her and she grew angry once more.

"We don't need your money, your charity. You are an evil man," she tore to paper to shreds and tossed it on the floor.

"Can't you see that I've changed?" Vincent argued.

"What of your pet?" She spat and he throne room fell silent, "Have you let her free? The one person in e entire kingdom you've sinned the most grievous toward. You haven't changed, Vincent, not as long as you hold Malece against her will."

Vincent brow furrowed once more, "Malece wants to stay," he said.

Selphia smiled, "Why would she stay, Vincent? She knows exactly what manner of man you are. You will see, she will want to leave soon enough."

With that Selphia turned and left the castle leaving Vincent to contemplate her words.

The wind pushed her hair behind her as she ran back to the castle to see Vincent. "Wait, Miss Beauty!" the voice of the maid that had come with her to the village was far behind her. Malece had rushed off and the maid was trying to keep up with her as she ran. She didn't know how long ago this message was written, how far it would take her to get to her brothers, she had to move quickly. Once at the gate she was forced to wait as the gate was opened, letting her inside. "Miss Beauty? What's wrong?" she heard a guard calling to her, but she ignored him and ran into the castle, running towards the throne room, where she thought Vincent would be.

Opening the doors herself she rushed into the throne room, looking worried. "Vincent?!" she called, before she finally spotted the king. She rushed towards him, holding out the parchment. "My brothers contacted me. Thomas is sick and I need to find them," she said to him, letting him read the note. Although the handwriting was not too neat, it was clear and it gave her directions of where to go to meet with Isaiah, who would then bring her to where Thomas was.

Malece had only ever looked so worried when she found out Vincent was ill. She loved her brothers. They were the only family she had left and she finally learned that one of them was hurt and sick and she was asking Vincent for his help.

"Can I go and take care of Thomas?" she asked softly. Selphia was right... she was asking to leave, but not because she did not want to be there any longer. It was because she wanted to save her brothers.

Selphia had hardly left when Malece burst through the doors. She was frantic and as she hurried toward him, Vincent's heart began to drum. Had something happened to her in her absence from him? She stopped rather close to him and the desire of her heart spilled from her mouth like vomit, at least to Vincent. Immediately he recalled the recent conversation with Selphia and his heart broke. The witch was right. Vincent had kept her imprisoned and no matter how many times he confessed his love for her, or the change within his heart, she seemed to still want to leave.

The tightness in his chest only grew as he looked upon the worried eyes of the woman he loved. He had held her for so long. He had killed her father, a family friend and hurt her. All of that he had done as a monster, but she had changed him wether she loved him and wanted to stay or not. Vincent cleared his throat and stood as stoic as he could. He struggled to suppress the welling emotions inside him as he took in a deep breath.

Sarah looked upon Vincent, her breath holding as the fear of her king once again returning to his monstrous self seemed imminent. Malece meant the world to Vincent and Sarah saw that. If he had taken to heart what Selphia had said then this request, however true it might be, would destroy him just as losing his family had. Sarah could not bare that once more. She feared what that would do, but most of all, she feared his response right now.

Vincent didn't do what anyone expected, not even what he expected of himself. Vincent forced a smile through the pain and took a step toward Malece. His hand gently took hers as he continued until he stood right against her. The glimmer of tears shone at the corner of his reddening eyes as he lifted her face with his free hand and kissed her with quivering lips. His eyes slid shut, ejecting those tears but he did nothi to stop them as they rolled down his cheeks. It was slow, and probably confusing to the woman he loved, but Vincent had a method to his madness.

When he finally broke it he took a step back and let her go, "Malece," the tightness returned tenfold and Vincent struggled to speak, "I..uh..I've held you for so long against your will," he looked down and then glanced at Sarah, who normally served as his rock but in this case she was of no help. Vincent was beginning to drown in his heartache but he would deal this time and he would deal with it appropriately, "You are free to go. You do not have to return. Go. Be with your family. Malece, be with those you love."

Vincent was forced to hold his breath after that last statement. Malece had never once told him that she loved him. Words he had strived to hear since he had fallen for her, but because of who he was, they would never come. By releasing Malece from her bonds, Vincent had made right his most grievous sin. Even though it would tear him apart, he would stay true to his change. For even if she would never see him again, Vincent loved Malece enough to be true to that. He would never let the darkness consume him ever again.

If you truly love someone, you must be willing to let them go.

• Love
Malece was confused. She could see how upset Vincent was from her asking to leave. Why was he hurt? She was coming back. His hand went to her cheeks, as he took a step closer to her. She looked up at him with confused and worried eyes. He looked as if he was going to cry and she did not want that. But he did something that shocked her. He leaned down and he kissed her, his lips quivering against her own and she felt her eyes close after the shock passed. His lips were warm and comforting and she was surprised by how much she liked being kissed by him. But then it was over... and he let go of her, pulling away from her completely. She saw his tears and it hurt her.

"Malece," his voice sounded broken as he said her name. "I..uh..I've held you for so long against your will..." his words were confusing her. He had held her against her will in the beginning but she was choosing to stay now. "You are free to go. You do not have to return. Go. Be with your family. Malece, be with those you love." She felt a weight lift from her and everyone in the room seemed to be shocked, but she was the one who was most shocked.

She looked at Vincent, seeing how broken he was becoming inside but he was letting her go.

Malece shocked everyone this time, as she took a step closer to him and leaned up, kissing his lips. It was a gentle peck against his lips. When she pulled away she raised her hand and wiped his tears away from his cheeks. She let her hand remain there for a moment longer before she pulled it away and reached behind her neck, undoing the knot that held the thread of braided fabric around her neck, the place for her fathers wedding ring. Leaning up she fastened the necklace around his neck, letting the ring rest against his chest. "Keep this safe for me until I return, Vincent..." she whispered to him, looking up at him. She was showing him that she was planning on returning. She wanted to stay with Vincent, but she wanted to save her brothers life.

"I will come back to you, Vincent," she assured him once more. Her hand returning to his cheek and gently cupping his cheek. "I will come back," she repeated, to make sure he knew she meant it. She wasn't just saying it. "I promise."

• Love
I will come back to you, Vincent.

I will come back.

I promise.

Vincent hadn't left his throne since Malece had made that promise and sealed it with a kiss. The middle and index finger of his left hand still sat upon his lips as though they had been sacredly touched. His right hand clutched the ring that hung about his neck. In one foul swoop, his heart had left him and he had watched her walk out the door.

It wasn't that Vincent doubted Malece words, not at all. For the past two hours, he had not moved because all of the doubt rested on him. It was heavy and he felt as though he could not move under it. Vincent knew, since she had stated it, that she probably intended to return to him, but he also knew her brothers would do their best to convince her not to. Despite how badly he wanted to see her again, he silently prayed she would stay away. He had only served to disappoint people and he knew that eventually, he would disappoint her once again. He knew that, with him, she would never be truly happy. He would be a constant reminder of loss and never one of gain.

Since her departure, Vincent had refused to allow himself to mourn her loss in case she returned to see him crying for her. Even know, the shock of her actually walking out the door, and the word from his soldiers that confirmed her absence from the castle, he had yet to mourn. In fact, he had done nothing but stared at the spot he had last seen her before she vanished from his sight.

Sarah had tried to shake him from his stupor with conversation or by bringing him things, but he wouldn't take either. Conversation seemed to matter less to him if it wasn't with Malece. Food seemed pointless without Malece to enjoy it with. Would he ever enjoy anything again? Would he ever see her again? He knew he wished for her to not return but the longer she was gone, the more he wished he had not let her go. Who would love him now?

Vincent felt something wet roll over his hand that finally shook him from his stare. He pulled his hand away and blinked through watery eyes. It was a tear, in fact, it had been several that had found eir way to his hand from his eyes. He had been crying and hadn't even noticed. The thought rocked him to the core. Malece had truly reached and left her mark on every part of him. With is thought, Vincent's shoulders began to rock as he lost himself in mourning.

Sarah ushered out the servants and Gordon ordered the soldiers out. Sarah pulled e door shut as she exited and leaned silently against it. The sobs of her king could be heard through the door and from the silence of the entire castle, it seemed that there was not a stone that did not hear his weeping.

It had only been two and a half hours since Malece had left.

• Love
As Malece walked away from Vincent, she felt her heart ache. She didn't want to leave him, not like this not after he had just started changing... but she wouldn't be able to live with herself if something happened to Thomas. With Sarah's help, she was able to pack a small parcel of medicines, food and water. And Gordon allowed her to borrow a horse for her journey. And so she began, trotting out of the castle and through the village, headed towards the Kingdoms edge.

~*~

Isaiah knew Malece would leave with that note. With her out of the castle they could kill the monster king and then she would be free. And he waited, in the trees just outside the kingdom, watching as his baby sister rode past towards the forest to wait for him, like the note had instructed. He smiled to himself. "I'll come get you soon sister, now to avenge our father and your honor," he said out loud before he dropped down to the ground. With this he pulled his hood back on and with Thomas in tow, the two brothers and the group of angry townsmen made their way to the castle, just as planned and with quickness they started a fire in the stables, which caused the guards to rush to help put the fire out, giving the group enough time to sneak past, into the castle.

Once inside, Isaiah let the inn keep lead the way to the throne room but they were met with guards which Isaiah quickly subdued with the Templar training he received until his mother was murdered for being falsely accused as a witch. And with a shove the doors to the throne room opened and Isaiah and Thomas along with the group of townsmen walked in. "Secure the doors," Isaiah ordered and the doors to the throne room were closed.

The only two hooded figures in the group were the brothers but they did not remain hooded for long. Isaiah removed his hood first then Thomas. The older male took a few steps into the throne room looking around whistling before his eyes went to Vincent. He smirked. "So, your the infamous King Vincent. Murder of men, women and children. Murder of Sick Fathers and Kidnapper of little Sister's, or was Malece the exception," Isaiah's words were calm and even as he took his steps toward the king. The only sound in the room was Isaiah's voice, his steps and the breathing of the group. He suddenly chuckled. "I'm lucky you took enough sympathy to let my sister leave so that she could take care of Thomas," Isaiah turned to the other hooded figure ho had revealed themselves. "Although I do hate to lie to Malece, we couldn't do this without her out of the castle. She has seen enough death," he said his eyes looking back to Vincent.

"So tell me, what did you put my sister through? What hell was done to her..." he began his questioning, wanting to know what this monster king had done to his baby sister, when his eyes spotted the ring hanging from Vincent's neck, hanging from the woven thread that he knew to be the work of his sister. He pulled his sword from its sheath and closed the distance towards Vincent. "Why did she give that to you?!" he asked, anger in his eyes but also confusion and sorrow.

~*~

Malece was reaching the hill when she looked back and her eyes widened. There was smoke coming from the castle. Something was very wrong. "Vincent..." she whispered out loud and she turned the horse back towards the castle and forced it to run back as fast as it could back to the castle. Back to Vincent.